Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,588 | Hads: 5,011
1.73/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. can
I tried to find something good in this and I couldn't. The only thing that was ok was the appearance. It was a pale yellow color that somewhat of a head of foam on it. No smell, except maybe some grains. No taste, not even malt. It was just water with a watery mouthfeel. The drinkability is high for me because this some of the cheapest beer on the market and it shows it. The can made me laugh because it said it was made with some of the finast ingredients and voted America's best beer in 1893. A good beer maybe in that year, but thats over 110 years ago. Drink if free. (586 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +49.4%

pours a pale golden color with thin head,smells of grain and corn.

the taste is well balanced for an adjunt lager,very good in taste and mouthfeel,its a nice refreshing beer thats easyto drink.

if you are looking for a beer that taste the same day in and day out pabst is that beer. (288 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +9.4%

Starts off with a big fluffy head that quickly disipates. Pale gold colour. Not the typical urine colour of most pale lagers, but a pale gold. Smells of pale malts, bread, and grass. Simple. Tastes, quite good, actually. Simple, plain, and good. Like a decent, basic homebrew. Sweet at first, with a bit of bitterness and grass in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is clean and dry. Very drinkable. Great session beer. (410 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Here's the deal...
If i'm buying beer for a cookout/bbq/party... this is my first choice. Dad's beer has the sentimentality that makes it very drinkable. I've also noticed when pouring out of a can, Pabst keeps its head quite well. Tickly bubbles they are. There is a bit more flavor in this beer than most of this style, but it certainly doesn't compete in a finest beer category overall. That's fine... it doesn't need to. Dad could care less. (447 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

This beer pours a golden yellow with a white head that fizzles down to nothing. There was actually a small amount of lacing, I guess I've never really looked for it in a PBR until just now.

The aroma is of light malt and grain, no real hop presence.

The taste is also of light malt with a small hop presence, barely there.

The mouthfeel is decent. Light body with moderate carbonation

I would say this beer is the beer I would buy over all other American macros. It's drinkability is substantially higher that the big trio. (535 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a very clear straw, producing a two and a half finger head of white soap bubbles. Good retention and lots of spotty lacing. Husky grain and adjunct nose, with some stale german hop aromas. The taste is slightly sweet with grainy adjuncts and mabye a bit tannic but no ester or off-flavors; very nuetral. Semi-dry aftertaste with a hint of saaz hop bitterness. Medium carbonation and light mouthfeel that finshes clean and very sessionable. A cut above other american macros. (480 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

It's been a little too long since I drank a PBR, maybe because of the beer snobbery that has taken over me. That's too bad because this one can get a bad rap since its the chaepest beer around and its the beer many of our father's drank. Not too bad. Typical macro, corn taste and smell, not too overwhelming. Pours a fine head with nice carbonation. Definitely easy enough to drink. A fine example of a true American historical beer. (434 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -30.5%

Man to someone who lives in Wisconsin, you have to toast a PBR once in a while. For a time, Pabst was all I drank, because I had very little money and no job. So if you do not live in Wisconsin or have very little money, steer clear of this beer. Now that I have the negatives out of the way, time to talk about the positives. If you want a cheap beer that you and you alone can enjoy, then this beer is for you. Also one of the best aspects of this beer is that it is readily available in the state of Wisconsin, and now I am out of college and having to pinch every penny, Pabst comes in handy for those hot days in WI. So enjoy a PBR on me. (643 characters)

1.74/5  rDev -43.5%

In my many years of beer drinking I honestly can't recall drinking a PBR. I'm certain I've never purchased one, before today. This 12 oz bottle from a six pack pours a clear, pale golden body that is actively carbonated. Once inch white head evaporates in seconds, and leaves no remnants of lace. Aroma is unremarkable, with subdued notes of adjunct grain sweet maltiness and a suggestion of vague hop. It's light bodied in the mouth, with bountiful carbonation. The taste is unappealing. Corn syrup sweetness, light grain presence, a metallic offnote, and muted hops bitterness. Tastes like cardboard, with an acrid finish. Crisp, but not what I would deem refreshing. Not as clean as other macros I've tried the past two years. Very disappointed that this is inferior to Coors and Bud. (787 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +25%

Pours into my Pabst Blue Ribbon Chalice a brilliant yellow color with a light coat of head that falls to almost coat the beer. The nose is light, slight grain and a very faint noble hop. Some light honey sweetness. Pretty standard. The flavor is actually nice. The honey-touched sweetness stands out to me first. The graineyness and light hop are mellowed out by the (corn I think) sweetness. A very nice flavor for the style. The feel is even a good solid moderate with a moderate carbonation. I let a little time go by before I sat down to this beer again with intentions of rating. It still comes through as a solid and drinkable beer. Had one off tap a few months back and it really quenched after a big meal of Mexican food. (729 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to kmpitz2 for sharing this one. Pours a very clear yellow color with no head, leaves no lacing on the glass. There's not much going on in the aroma - standard lager smells. Nothing special here. The flavor is what would be expected. Standard macro lager flavors, but it actually has more taste than most of the macros, surprisingly. Slight malt character, slight hop profile. Nothing wonderful, but it's an acceptable session brew if you feel like slumming it. (468 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -9.4%

Ah, PBR. My first legal drink in the states- and I don't regret it. I haven't seen it outside a can often, but I recall a light golden color. Smells and tastes... like not much. A watery beer, best served ice, ice cold. Slightly sweet, but nothing special. Still... this beer is close to my heart. It's one of those beers you associate with good cheapness at a bar.

Mouthfeel is a bit watery, not heavy, nothing great, but I've definitely had worse. Still, you can have several at one sitting without a problem. This is a great cheap bar beer- there are SO many better beers out there, but everyone should partake in a pabst every once in a while- just for the memories to be associated with it. I salute you, PBR. (717 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -7.1%

This is usually my drunk beer. If I have drunk enough of Oregon's microbrews in a short span of time beforehand this seems OK. Otherwise it tastes pretty foul.

Fortunately, even with only one potent ale under my belt, this imperial pint (just one of the perks of the Goose Hollow) seemed creamy and fresh. It was a very light straw colour with a big foamy head which left some lacing.

The nose was its low point. Vinegar anyone?

I didn't notice the stale flavour this beer sometimes seems to have this time. Instead there was a creamy cereal taste, the expected bland hops and pleasantly big carbonation. It slid down very easily.

Then I marched up to Vista Bridge for a read, not a jump! (701 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +3.2%

Farewell to Falstaff. Went to Mangia’s for a final can or two since they no longer will be made. And after couple, switched to PBR for ol’ time sake. From a bottle, these weren’t too bad. Actually could taste a bit of grain with decent amount of hops. Still over filtered, over carbed – but a decent summer session brew if nothing else is around. (350 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +13%

I've always shunned PBR. I've always grouped it with Miesterbrau, Schlitz, Old Milwaukee, Natural light ect... Ive been laid-off now for a few months so iv'e been basically buying Bud lately. I saw a six of PBR Talls at the store for 4.50 bucks and said what the hell and tried it. For what it is I was very surprised! much better than Bud, Miller, and Coors. Good taste for what it is, goes down smooth and very refreshing. This is definitely my new cheap domestic for now on. no more Bud. the 6 of talls only cost $4.50. what a deal! A great beer to chug on a hot summer day. (without the massive Bud headache the next morning) (629 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a urine yellow color. A quickly fading frothy white head. Smells of grain and corn and nada else. Taste is next to nothing, somewhat sweeter, but there is a little bitterness to balance it out. This is my go to brew. If I need a macro it has always been pabst. cant go wrong with the pbr. (294 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +20.1%

Like the Johnny Russel song says, "red necks, white socks and blue ribbon beer." You "sophisticated" city folk wouldnt understand. Down here, we like manly brew. There is only 1 reason to drink...and that is to get drunk. This beer tastes just fine to me. It does its job quite well. Why pay big money for some fancy beer? You are just gonna piss it out. It all ends up in the same place when its all said and done. If you want to enjoy what you drink, drink some sweet tea or somethin. (486 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -3.2%

12 oz brown longneck with no freshness dating. In fact the label contained about as little information as I have ever seen on a beer.

The beer pours a “beery” light yellow with a fair head and wisps of lacing.

The smell is clean and not offensive in any way. You get some corn & grain and maybe a hint of flowery hops.

The taste is well balanced for an adjunct lager. You get some sweetness from the corn and a little hop (pepper) to balance. Not threatening or challenging, but no off flavors. Not as thin as many macros and surprisingly the taste does not fall-off to much if it warms a bit.

Crackling carbonation can not quite overcome a thin mouthfeel. Easy drinking macro, I would prefer this one over AB, Coors, etc. Comparable to a High Life, but a bit below an Old Style or Point. (805 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +0.6%

Presentation: My can was brewed in Guelph, Ontario, Canada by Stroh's Canada. 4.9%ABV, Very cheap priced.

Appearance: Another overcarbonated yellow macro.

Smell: It smells a mix of grains, hops and alcohol.

Taste: The taste is very clean and crisp, but the aftertaste is quite strange. It is slightly sweet (corn), but is bubbly and bitter too.

Mouthfeel: It is so bubbly. At least, it is very smooth and easy to drink.

Drinkability: It is not that bad. It is not exceptionnal, but just a good cheap beer to get loaded with. Also, it was one of the most popular brands when I was at that bar in Chicago. (619 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +19.8%

O, geez. As much as I hate to like this beer, it is rather good.

Pours a light yellow fizz into my St. Bernardus Chalice. Haha! I have no standards. Gives a nice head that dissipates into a yellow still liquid. The aroma is interesting. I don't want to like it, but it doesn't smell . A slight corn sweetness and faint hints of grassiness. Barely any hop scent. The taste is clean, crisp and a little bitter. The aftertaste isn't altogether great, though, with some corn sweetness in there. It tastes reminiscent of corn, even though I have no idea if it's included here. Another sip puts it up there with bland wheat beers, but the aftertaste gets me again. Sour alka-seltzer like notes with some hop bitterness, but not earthy enough at all. For the style, though, it's still pretty good. An average of 4 for clean slightly sweet taste, and 3 for strange aftertaste= 3.5

Mouthfeel is a bit too still, surprising given that it's from a can. I though this one would be bubbly carbonated. Still, this is one quaffable brew, and if I found myself in a dive that was classy enough to stock this one, I would hesitate only just a bit. Haha. Okay, maybe I'd order a scotch, but I think I've lost my prejudice for this beer. It is the antithesis of "Haterade." (1,260 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +28.6%

No matter how hard you try, you just can't hate on PBR. It is what it is: the cheapest of cheap, the pissiest of piss, the rawest of the raw.

Like most others on the site, I consider myself to be a beer snob, but I give my respects to PBRs. Where it can be found, it is dirt cheap and consistently smooth. Unlike other pisswater ales, you won't wake up with a raging headache and a case of the cho.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game. Pabst ain't no joke and it ain't no lie neither. Better recognize. (509 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -1%

Appearance - About average. Good golden color, but the head is fizzy and excessively short-lived. No lacing.

Smell - Light sweet, adjuncty odor. Nothing too off, nothing too distinctive.

Taste - Quite sweet. Very crisp and watery. Just a touch of adjuncty malty beer flavor. Because the taste is noticeable and not overly poor, this beer ranks slightly better than most macros.

Mouthfeel - Light but very highly carbonated, i.e. tangy and fizzy.

Drinkability - Smooth and light. If I were only choosing beers from this particular group, PBR would come before most. Probably not a bad choice for a night of heavy drinking.

I'm pretty sure that it's time for the folks at Pabst to move on. If the label on my beer is to be believed, Pabst was selected as "America's Best" in 1893. (Was there some sort of great beer shortage that year?) Now tradition is all well and good, but food quality awards were never meant to be bandied about over 100 years after given. (974 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -26.9%

6-pk of 16oz cans purchased at a nearby Rosauer's for $3.79. Needed cheap beer, and this definitely fell into that category.

Poured a crystal clear gold color, with a big, fizzy white head that dropped quicker than the public's respect for Ashlee Simpson. No lace whatsoever.

Smell wasn't promising. Big & crude yet bland malt odor and something akin to vegetable oil. Fermented corn-flavored water, anyone?

Actually not as bad tasting as I thought. It's an improvement over the smell, anyway. This has that generic beer flavor most Americans accept as normal. Nothing remotely impressive, but could have been worse. The best you can say is it's inoffensive.

This is where things fall apart. Aren't these crappy lagers supposed to be highly carbonated? There was almost no carbonation whatsoever to this at all. No bubbles to be seen except when I was actually pouring the damn thing into my glass (which will probably be forever traumatized by the ordeal).

This is an acceptable shit beer if you don't have the money to buy a half rack of something slightly better, and DEFINITELY don't have the money for something good. Otherwise, skip it. (1,157 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance: Pale gold with a large , white, foamy, rapidly diminishing head. Sporadic lacing early.

Smell: A light adjunct stink (A LOT better than the majority of adjuncts out there, but yes it still is there), hay, grain, and a very slight hint of berry.

Taste: Slightly malty and sweet with a quite the bready finish. Maybe a slight bitterness toward then finish, but other than that there’s no real hops to speak of.

Mouthfeel: Thin body, watery texture, lively carbonation.

Drinkability: I got a weird look from the cashier at the local beer distributor when I brought up a 30-pack of PBR and a case Victory Hop Devil. Kind of a weird ying-yang there I admit, but sometimes you want something big and bold, and sometimes you want the cheap-ass watered down macro, and as far as they go, PBR is one of my favorites. Easy-drinking, the carbonation is the only thing keeping me from downing one of these in one chug. I’d take a PBR over a Bud, Coors or Miller any day! (984 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -21.4%

Apperance: Clear, golden yellow. White as snow head with very minima retention and very mild lacing.

Nose: Grassy, sweet malt. A bit of sulphur or rotten eggs.

Taste: Very slight taint of copper in the front. Mild and settled alcohol at the end. Yellow corn, but not sweet for the aftertaste. Crisp and refreshing carbonation, but does not assault the palate.

Notes: As far as the fizzy little yellow beers are concerned, this one takes home a prize for having a bit of taste. No bold or fun characteristics, but it has something. There is a bit of something there, and I will honor them for that. (609 characters)

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company