Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,620 | Hads: 5,135
2.08/5  rDev -30.9%

I bought a twelve of PBR to take camping last night and I must say thank God that's over with. This beer looks undistiguishable from any other Macro. I can't even begin to describe the taste if not kept at a cool temp. Say around -12 degrees. The taste was right in line with what you would expect from a $4 twelve pack. I think cheap beer has an important place in society, but it damn sure ain't in my beer cooler.

1.78/5  rDev -40.9%

Corn yellow. Small head that left quickly. Smells like canned corn and straw. Taste like any other macro to me. Very grainy and maybe some malt. Mouthfeel was thin with some carbonation. Drinkability would be good except a horrible metalic aftertaste and the beer becomes absolutely putrid when warm.
When the situation calls for a low abv macro beer and some situations do. I think it's best to just get the cheapest b/c it's hard to distiguish the taste between them. The cheapest is usually PBR. It's a cheap beer plain and simple.

2.95/5  rDev -2%

ah, the PBR. this is my 'going to a hot and sweaty rock and roll show' beer. it's just perfect for drinking quite a few at a concert in the heat. really, i think there's no better beer for the job.
pours golden color, white head, not large and leaves quickly.
smell of grain and grass, smells like high school field parties.
tastes much the same, but has a little more grain kick than the big 3 imposters. leaves some aftertaste, maybe a hint of hop.
mouthfeel is lots of carbonation, a nice little burn, but super clean and refreshing. damn, that tastes good after working in the yard or at the beach.
if i'm not in need of much taste, could drink this all night, and have on a few occasions. most recently, had way too many at a drive-by truckers concert at ziggy's in winston-salem. what a blast!

3.38/5  rDev +12.3%

Presentation: 12 oz can, poured into a tumbler.

Appearance: Pale golden color. Very minimal head.

Smell: Slightly sour smell, besides that not much.

Taste: Yummy. The most flavorful of the “cheap beers.” Served very cold. A bit sweet but a very clean taste.

Notes: This is the best of the college beers. Perfect drinkability for watching a movie in the winter or sitting on the porch in the summer. Always a treat to find one in the beer bath at a party. Even better in the long neck.

2.63/5  rDev -12.6%

On tap @ Barnaby's in Aston, PA. Pours the standard macro pale yellow with a one finger head that quickly goes away. I was surprised by how little carbonation there was, I could actually count the few bubbles rising in the glass on one hand. I tried like hell to find an aroma, but didn't have any luck. Taste is the usual cheap macro maltiness, with no hops present. Thin mouthfeel. Overall, nothing REALLY offensive, but nothing to seek out either. Great for washing down bar food while watching the Eagles smack the 49ers around, and quite a bargain at $2 a pint (it's most redeeming quality). It is what it is...swill for the masses.

2.76/5  rDev -8.3%

i get made fun of alot after telling people that i enjoy an ice cold can of PBR from time to time, however it's always from the people thast think that miller lite is some sort of golden nectar so i pay no mind to the laughter. the truth is that PBR is one of the best beer values on the market today. it looks like a traditional american lager, you know like a corn yellow. has a nice white head that doesn't stay very long, and no lacing to speak off. smells like corn to me. and i find it to have a nice sweet taste. goes well with bratwurst, and hot dogs with sour kraut. you can knock these puppies back if you want to and still feel ok the next day. but for 12.99 a 30 you can't go wrong. it is also a very good beer to cook with.

2.81/5  rDev -6.6%

This is my go to beer when I just need cheep beer - which is not often thank goodness. Besides sometimes you just want a beer to drink and cans for under .50 a pop are easy on the wallet. Can mentions that only the finest hops and grains are used, hmmm. I have a hard time with that one.

Pours crisp clear and fizzy like you would expect. Quickly settles down to what could be mistaken for a light colored apple juice.

Smell is light with a hint of corny sweetness. Mouthfeel is watery but not too bad concidering. Taste is also sweet and corny with some slight hop flovor. Dry aftertaste. Overall not horrible but not much substance.

As a beer in general PBR has nothing to brag about. BUT side by side with similar macros that cost almost double this beer is not only good but is a steal.

1.65/5  rDev -45.2%

I got really thirsty at a volleyball tournament before coming home to a PBR ... probably a good idea.

Pours with a big ugly head that drops quickly but, to its credit, leaves an good layer on top and some lace around the edges. Very pale yellow, few bubble columns .. eh.

Smells like corn and adjuncts. At least it doesn't smell very strongly... no hops or "malts" in the traditional sense.

Taste is gross. Bad corn and that overpowering taste that is in the worst of beers, the one that makes you flinch and make a face. Is that just "adjuncts?" Bitter finish that encourages puking.

Hard to separate the mouthfeel from the taste, but I don't think it's that bad. Starts off too bubbly, gets flatter as it warms, so according to the intermediate value theorem, there has to be a good balance in there somewhere. Still nothing pleasant.

I feel I should give some sympathy points on drinkability. It is cheap, although not especially for the style "American Macro Lager." About average for the field of extremely cheap beer. For a beer that's meant to get you trashed, I wish the finish weren't so gross ... it encourages vomiting when you want to keep it down.

I'll drink it at college parties, and it's maybe a step above Milwaukee's Best or Natty.

3.9/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer.

I drink it in bottles, which I buy by the case for $9. Pabst in bottles tastes the best and is by far the most drinkable.

I drink it in tallboys at baseball games and when I'm bumming around with hillbilly chicks out in the bluffs. Drinking Pabst in tallboys is by far the most fun.

I drink Pabst on tap when I wanna show all the communist chicks at the bars that I'm sensitive to the working man's plight (I live in Madison, WI. There are tons of communist chicks running around).

I also like this beer because of its fantastik marketing scheme, which is:

1. Showcase local bands at hipster watering holes and get them to endorse Pabst.

2. Hire people to go around and buy Pabst for everyone they see. Seriously, random guys in Madison are always at the bars buying me Pabst. Hmm... that sounds a bit peculiar now that I've typed it...

3. Follow me to Tibet to make sure that I don't forget about them when I go there.

Seriously, Tibet is pretty much run by Pabst Blue Ribbon. The Red Army only thinks they have control and his Holiness the Dali Lama is plum out.

Everything in Tibet is Pabst. The umbrellas, the billboards, the clothes that taxi drivers wear, ash trays, even the tea pot in my room at the Shigaze Hotel was a big stinking ad for Pabst.

On that note, Pabst is the best beer that I've had above 13,000 feet.

I’ll highly recommend its light malts and grains over the other big macros.

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

A perfect camping/BBQ beer. Light and easy to pound down to wash away hot dogs or burgers. This is certainly far from gourmet but you need to examine the context in which it is to be drunk and rank it with its competitors. I would never drink this beer indoors but have decided it is a must on any camping trip to NH, ME, or VT. The taste itself is slightly less watery and more flavorful than Bud/Miller/Coors. For that it gets my recommendation when used in a situation I've detailed above.

2.53/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Up until recently I didn't know PBR truly came outside of cans (its natural habitat). Pours golden with bubbles throughout and a big broken foam head that faded slowly and smeared (glass not quite clean?). Feable attempt at malts, some hops, a slight artificial sweetness. Some citris hit my nose each time I pulled the glass up. It reminds me more of old Grain Belt than anything else. Much more tolerable off tap, not too bad actually if the heat is on.

2.12/5  rDev -29.6%

This beer is cheap and recommended by a lot of advocates as the poor man's beer. I'll tell you it is clear, straw fizzy beer with a white ring of head. Smells like nearly nothing, but at least it doesn't smell bad. It is a little malty. The taste is sour like soda water, a little bitter in a sort of metallic way that I can't stand. It isn't as bad as some but not something I'm going out of my way for even at the bottom dollar price. Mouthfeel is crisp and light. Like I said, I can't drink this stuff one after another. It has an offensive taste to me.

2.27/5  rDev -24.6%

At $.35/ can I had to give a try.
Wow, there is no aroma! Maybe a faint malt with a bit of sourness, otherwise I'm picking up nothing.
Looks as it should. Pale straw/gold. Medium white head that settles. Lots of rising bubbles.
What did they used to say about Bush I (or was it about Clinton?), anyway, "there's no there there"? That's what this seems like. Light on the malt, more bitterness with a slight sourness. This doesn't seem like the PBR of my youth.
Average crispness. Thinness, yet somewhat heavy too (for style). Heavily carbonated.
meh. Dissappointing.

3.3/5  rDev +9.6%

poyred a pale yellow color with abundant white puffy head that had good retention. Smell is mild with only sweet notes present. Taste is refreshing and thirst quenching. It is the perfect beer for a hot summer day. Finishes wet and refreshing. Has its place in the fridge.

3.35/5  rDev +11.3%

This is going to be a goof, but a serious one nevertheless..LOL..Perhaps we take things too seriously, as we "ALL" know and praise world class brews. But there may be a place perhaps in your life for a Pabst. The N.E has been torrid these last few weeks; as such, a lean & clean brew is exactly what the Doc ordered. PBR is a surprisingly satisfying Mass Macro that pleases when chilled to 31.99 degrees. Let that pure American aluminum can absorb the "artic"ulated cold of your cooler, to give a blast of EZ drinking thirst quenching enjoyment, that an adjunct brew could only do on a day with a heat index of 110. This pours the quintessential lager gold with an impressive semi chunky head. Faint and somewhat unwilling nose of hops ascend to the nose. The flavor is slightly bitter and crisp with a extremely EZ-goin' personality. This brew provides satisfaction; and as we are to judge products on this site based on their merits within their group of peers, I'm afraid to say that PBR ain't half bad! (looks like about 50/50 on the average BA recommendation tally anyway!
Seriously, don't be so serious!!

3.25/5  rDev +8%

This is far better than most American Macros. It should always be served by the pounder can, or on tap. It has a clean taste that can simplify the beer drinking experience for even the jaded beer geek. A great lawn mower beer. I would recommend it based on it's style and it's competition. This beer is far better than the majority of macros out there.

3.53/5  rDev +17.3%

Serving: 16oz Can
Appearance: good color
Drinkability: You bet!
There's nothing like a frosty cold PBR on a hot summer day. This is definately a quaffing beer! I know it's not the best brew out there, but there is a certain place in our lives and hearts for Pabst. This beer has a golden color and decent enough head to it, but I prefer to drink this one straight from the can....a 16oz Tall Boy!

1.73/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. can
I tried to find something good in this and I couldn't. The only thing that was ok was the appearance. It was a pale yellow color that somewhat of a head of foam on it. No smell, except maybe some grains. No taste, not even malt. It was just water with a watery mouthfeel. The drinkability is high for me because this some of the cheapest beer on the market and it shows it. The can made me laugh because it said it was made with some of the finast ingredients and voted America's best beer in 1893. A good beer maybe in that year, but thats over 110 years ago. Drink if free.

4.6/5  rDev +52.8%

pours a pale golden color with thin head,smells of grain and corn.

the taste is well balanced for an adjunt lager,very good in taste and mouthfeel,its a nice refreshing beer thats easyto drink.

if you are looking for a beer that taste the same day in and day out pabst is that beer.

3.37/5  rDev +12%

Starts off with a big fluffy head that quickly disipates. Pale gold colour. Not the typical urine colour of most pale lagers, but a pale gold. Smells of pale malts, bread, and grass. Simple. Tastes, quite good, actually. Simple, plain, and good. Like a decent, basic homebrew. Sweet at first, with a bit of bitterness and grass in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is clean and dry. Very drinkable. Great session beer.

2.88/5  rDev -4.3%

Here's the deal...
If i'm buying beer for a cookout/bbq/party... this is my first choice. Dad's beer has the sentimentality that makes it very drinkable. I've also noticed when pouring out of a can, Pabst keeps its head quite well. Tickly bubbles they are. There is a bit more flavor in this beer than most of this style, but it certainly doesn't compete in a finest beer category overall. That's fine... it doesn't need to. Dad could care less.

3.2/5  rDev +6.3%

This beer pours a golden yellow with a white head that fizzles down to nothing. There was actually a small amount of lacing, I guess I've never really looked for it in a PBR until just now.

The aroma is of light malt and grain, no real hop presence.

The taste is also of light malt with a small hop presence, barely there.

The mouthfeel is decent. Light body with moderate carbonation

I would say this beer is the beer I would buy over all other American macros. It's drinkability is substantially higher that the big trio.

3.66/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a very clear straw, producing a two and a half finger head of white soap bubbles. Good retention and lots of spotty lacing. Husky grain and adjunct nose, with some stale german hop aromas. The taste is slightly sweet with grainy adjuncts and mabye a bit tannic but no ester or off-flavors; very nuetral. Semi-dry aftertaste with a hint of saaz hop bitterness. Medium carbonation and light mouthfeel that finshes clean and very sessionable. A cut above other american macros.

2.73/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

It's been a little too long since I drank a PBR, maybe because of the beer snobbery that has taken over me. That's too bad because this one can get a bad rap since its the chaepest beer around and its the beer many of our father's drank. Not too bad. Typical macro, corn taste and smell, not too overwhelming. Pours a fine head with nice carbonation. Definitely easy enough to drink. A fine example of a true American historical beer.

2.14/5  rDev -28.9%

Man to someone who lives in Wisconsin, you have to toast a PBR once in a while. For a time, Pabst was all I drank, because I had very little money and no job. So if you do not live in Wisconsin or have very little money, steer clear of this beer. Now that I have the negatives out of the way, time to talk about the positives. If you want a cheap beer that you and you alone can enjoy, then this beer is for you. Also one of the best aspects of this beer is that it is readily available in the state of Wisconsin, and now I am out of college and having to pinch every penny, Pabst comes in handy for those hot days in WI. So enjoy a PBR on me.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company