Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,589 | Hads: 5,016
2.42/5  rDev -21.4%

Apperance: Clear, golden yellow. White as snow head with very minima retention and very mild lacing.

Nose: Grassy, sweet malt. A bit of sulphur or rotten eggs.

Taste: Very slight taint of copper in the front. Mild and settled alcohol at the end. Yellow corn, but not sweet for the aftertaste. Crisp and refreshing carbonation, but does not assault the palate.

Notes: As far as the fizzy little yellow beers are concerned, this one takes home a prize for having a bit of taste. No bold or fun characteristics, but it has something. There is a bit of something there, and I will honor them for that. (609 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +21.1%

I'm assuming people will call me a point fairy for giving this beer such high marks, but here goes.

Appearance: Poured a bright orange color with slight hints of yellow. Head retention was impressive for an adjunct lager. The scent had lots of "adjunct" characteristics - corn, grain, cereal - but they were muted. There wasn't much of an aroma to this beer at all.

Tasting: This is probably my favorite beer of this style. It goes down smooth and easy, with almost no hop bitterness and sweet malt flavors. There was some grain flavor, giving it a bread-y taste. This beer is incredibly easy to drink. It'd be perfect for backyard grilling and parties, as well as mowing the lawn.

This definitely was a macro beer that I'll return to time and again. I'm told it causes bad hangovers, so I would suggest drinking lots of water to stay hydrated while you drink it. But for one beer, it was very good. (908 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +2.3%

Straw yellow color and a small bubbley head. Lots of bubbles from carbonation. Smells like grassy grain and some faint hops. Has a very clean grainy malt with a faint hop background. Some sweetness from malts, but over all very thirst quinching. Very clean finish.This beer is a much better pick over the big three. A better quality American lager for a much less of a price. Pairs well with any kind of red meat! (413 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +9.4%

Drank a bunch out of the can last night - might as well review one of the leftovers today. Pours into the pilsner glass a light gold/bright yellow with a 2 finger head that doesn't leave a lot of lacing and reduces to a very thin blanket. The aroma is corn with a slight lemony/peppery spice that reminds me of a hefe (interesting). The flavor is about the same with some adjuncts behind that and leaves me wondering how the hell there are lemon/pepper notes in an adjunct lager (but I'm not complaining). There is little aftertaste and the carbonation seems ok. As far as cheap beer goes this is one of the best and it tastes 100% better when poured into a glass. (664 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +4.9%

Got a case for $9.99. Flippin' ill mcnasty, which is a good thing.

Pours a pale straw color which reminds me of my days back on the farm. The head comes and goes, like every woman in my life. There's some slightly noticeable sediment and no lace. Also, there's a blue ribbon on the can so you know it HAS to be good.

Smells a little stanky. Nothing remarkable here. Maybe there are some hops, buried in there somewhere.

Luckily the taste is better than the smell. I'm bombarded with carbonation as it hits my tongue. Slightly hoppy with some mild maltiness to back it up. A very nonassuming beer that you don't have to think about. I enjoy it.

I could drink these in great quantities. So can you, considering it's cheap and yet of better quality than most swill. Quality, AND quantity: have your cake and eat it too! HA! (835 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a good beer. Not a bad beer. Often my choice for quantity over quality. Lots of fond and fuzzy memories are associated in my mind with this here beer. For the money you're going to spend on it, it's actually pretty good. What I think is funny is that it seems to be becoming almost fashionable to drink which is the worst thing that can happen to a beverage. Pabst is for drunk and divy nights and it should stay that way. (426 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 24 pack at the store for around $10. Tastes just as good out of the can as it does out of the bottle. All in all a nice beer to have around when you're not ready for a bigger beer, but still want something tasty. Either this or High Life have to be the best of the cheap beers. (289 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -43.8%

Well I couldn’t avoid it forever. Clear pale golden color with tiny bubbles and a thick but short-lived white head. No real lacing to speak of. Aroma of sweetcorn and light hops. Light-bodied and somewhat crisp with a barely-there sweet flavor, and some bland hops. The finish is an off flavor that really prevents this from being a harmless, flavorless beer. The aftertaste is rather unpleasant, like wood varnish or something. Needless to say I won’t be trying this again any time soon. (490 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

At first I was somewhat surprised that this beer seemed drinkable. I wasnt expecting much, but the first few drinks werent that bad. It kind of reminded me of a Miller High Life Light at first. But as I went on, this beer got worse and worse. It gradually started tasting just awful. I found that strange as beer usually tastes better and better the more I drink. Anyways, it looked like piss, did not have hardly any smell, and the only noticable tastes were a bit of bread and a few grains. Nothing special at all. This is not even worth picking up if its the only thing you can afford. Better off sticking with Busch Light or even Natural Light. This beer flat out sucks! (674 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -1.6%

This is probably my favorite budget priced american adjunct lager to date, still it isn't something to get too excited about. Color is light golden, head is average-sized and foamy. The aroma is of sweet macro smell, very typical. The taste has more depth than other adjuncts I've had, grain and hops are more apparent. The overall strong point of the taste is a grainy sweetness. This is very drinkable and well worth the very low price for a 12 pack. Hands down this is my money saver beer choice. (499 characters)

I have one question: how did PBR become a fashion trend?

I usually keep some on hand for when rowdy friends come over - it's cheap, and (in my opinion) tastes better than Bud, Miller, or the like. However, I can't imagine wearing a "PBR" shirt.

The beer is very light in color, comparable to Bud Light. It smells as you would imagine - like a watered down pilsner. And the taste? While it won't win "Beer of the Year" award, I think it's a great alternative to the other cheap domestic beers. In my opinion, it just tastes a little less "cheap".

This is definitely a beer focused on quantity, not quality - but if you're ok with that, drink up!

-Enjoy (655 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Tonight I buy into the hype, bought a 6 pack of longnecks for $3.99. This beer has got notoriety as being cool and hip for some reason. After encountering this beer in some college bars here in Lincoln and also in Omaha's Old Market district over the Holidays, I broke down to see what the fuss was all about.

Appearance: Light gold, minimal head that did not last, carbonated with bubbles dancing to the top of the liquid. Definitely macro.

Smell: Slight sweetness caused by adjuncts methinks, and a hint of floral hoppiness.

Taste: Slightly sweet (adjuncts?), yet a touch of hops on the finish. Not overwhelming, yet somewhat surprising.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, not watery like some counterparts. Carbonated and lively.

Drinkabilty: OK, a decent macro, nothing more. I don't go for trends, I just don't get them (like what was the deal with that goddamn Macarena thing?) and I don't get this one. Will I buy this again? Maybe try on tap, but that's it. (970 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +13%

Always nice to find this "splendid blended" lager on-tap. Not much of a head to speak of, with a pale yellowish appearance. I always found this beer to have a somewhat unpleasant smell, but the once it hits your lips the taste makes up for the odor. A very sharp, crisp taste which is eventually followed by an very abstract aftertaste that I have never found the words to describe. Overall it really does have a prized flavor when in the company of macrobrews. Captain Pabst is my hero. (487 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A rare find here in Québec...

Appearance: Straw-yellow, a light, frizzy head that was thick from out of the can, but died down quickly.

Smell: A very discreet grassy, malty with barely enough hops to register on the scale. I've smelled worse.

Taste: Pretty light, a bit too watery with a slight metalic twang, some corn, but with a little more malt than the usual macros. I don't want to start off the debate over drinkability as in "chugability" versus drinkability as in "I would go out of my way to drink this again", so I'll give it a average 3. In the world of D- macros, this one gets a C-. (606 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -5.8%

What can I say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that hasn't already been said? Believe it or not this is the first time I've ever tried this beer. It pours a clear light yellow color with a fizzy white head that quickly dissolves to a thin ring on the surface. The aroma seemed a bit skunky to me with some corn, dry malt and hops mixed in.

I found each sip to be smooth with a hint of creamyness. The flavor is a combination of sweet malt, corn, hops and a hint of bubblegum. There is also a hint of sweet malt in the aftertaste.

I'm not much of a macro drinker, but I found this beer to be quite drinkable. It also didn't have the typical chemical flavor I find in other macro's. I'd probably get another Pabst if I was in a place that had this as the best selection. (766 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Well, well. Emobeer thy name is Pabst. Still riding on that hundred and ten year old blue ribbon win, eh? Figures. Your kind always worked those horses so hard there was nothing left of them by the time you were finished.

You are incredibly drinkable, Mr. Pabst. That I cannot ignore. And your taste. Well, let's just say it's heads and tails above the other beers of your ilk. Grainy and bready with hints of weeds. It serves to wash down just about any food quite well. You have a nice head, too, all big and foamy. (520 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

I'm posting this one because PBR in a bottle is noticably different from PBR in a can. It's your usual fizzy yellow beer appearance, head is quickly gone, usual macro smell. However, I give this beer the distinction of the only macro I've ever tasted hops in. It's not like I'm even drinking a decent IPA, but the hops are there in the middle and the finish. Not bad. Not great, but I'll choose it over any macro (and quite a few crappy micros) (444 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Mmmmm, PBR...The best beer in America as voted in 1893 when it was probably in competition against one other beer. Gold color with a slight head that even left some lacing on the glass, WOWWWW! The smell is almost non-existent. But damnit, it tastes just fine and you can drink it til the cows come home. By far my favorite of any cheap beer out there. We will make this world a better place, one Pabst at a time. (413 characters)

1.51/5  rDev -51%

Pours a simple light copper with a thin white head and no lcaing whatsoever. Smells like a decent macro-lager, but nothing special. Tastes like water with a pinch of grain mixed in. No complexity, and no flavor. So bland I could barely finish it. I used to like this is, but no more. Avoid. (290 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -32.5%

This was one of my Dad’s favorite beers. From a can, poured into a footed pilsner glass, this is a light, transparent yellow color with a white, pretty head. Unfortunately, the head doesn’t last very long. Seems to have a little less carbonation than other, similar macros. Not much of an aroma…grain, corn…nothing else. Slightly sweet, very light…fairly smooth, with a less-than-crisp finish. Nothing distasteful, but nothing worthwhile either. (450 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +3.2%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a light gold color with one finger of head that dies off quickly. Almost no lacing. The smell is light with just a hint of malty and grassy aromas. The taste is also grassy and malty, but it's very light on flavor. Nothing offensive though. The mouthfeel is very light and watery. The drinkability is good though. If I had to choose a macro to pair with pizza, this would be it. (433 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +7.1%

Tried PBR again for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. Much more flavor than the big three. Hoppy aroma and a clean, fresh taste. Maybe I just was lucky and got a fresh bottle, but for the money, it can't be beat. My new go to beer when money is tight. (262 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +8.1%

I started drinking this beer after I became tired of the over-hyped premium brews out there. Beer pours a light yellow with little or no head. Smells like malt and nothing else. Taste of the beer is balanced, not too overpowering of hops/malt and can't detect the alcohol in the beer. I can drink this beer all day. While I like the premiums I am not afraid to slum it. (369 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -34.7%

Hmm, is this beer or water? I wonder...

Pours like seltzer, with the slightest tinge of pee. Smells like seltzer, with the slightest tinge of pee as well. Taste is rather nonexistent. It is impressively smooth, no skunk from this macro. But, the smoothness is so easy to create if there is no TASTE. However, I could down probably 2x the number of these than any other beer. Overall, I'd pick this over all the other macros if I'm playing beer pong. (452 characters)

24oz tallboy can obtained as part of BIF 13 from Qarre. Thanks for the opportunity, I think...

Gave it a shot at fame by pouring it into an imperial pint glass, where it formed a 1" white head over the clear light golden/yellow brew. Head is short-lived, but lasted longer than I expected, lacing is somewhat minimal, yet still better than I expected again. Aroma is minimal, and what is present is generic "beer", the lightest of malts with balancing nondescript hops. Nothing replusive, however, and that's always noteworthy.

Taste is upfront sweet adjunct presence, with the slightest of crispness at the outset. The main observation I am presented with is "watery". Mouthfeel and drinkability are both okay for the style. Fits the 3 average for me: the only negatives are lacks of positives. Good for mowing the lawn, which I will be doing momentarily. (863 characters)

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company