Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,599 | Hads: 5,045
3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Well, well. Emobeer thy name is Pabst. Still riding on that hundred and ten year old blue ribbon win, eh? Figures. Your kind always worked those horses so hard there was nothing left of them by the time you were finished.

You are incredibly drinkable, Mr. Pabst. That I cannot ignore. And your taste. Well, let's just say it's heads and tails above the other beers of your ilk. Grainy and bready with hints of weeds. It serves to wash down just about any food quite well. You have a nice head, too, all big and foamy. (520 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

I'm posting this one because PBR in a bottle is noticably different from PBR in a can. It's your usual fizzy yellow beer appearance, head is quickly gone, usual macro smell. However, I give this beer the distinction of the only macro I've ever tasted hops in. It's not like I'm even drinking a decent IPA, but the hops are there in the middle and the finish. Not bad. Not great, but I'll choose it over any macro (and quite a few crappy micros) (444 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Mmmmm, PBR...The best beer in America as voted in 1893 when it was probably in competition against one other beer. Gold color with a slight head that even left some lacing on the glass, WOWWWW! The smell is almost non-existent. But damnit, it tastes just fine and you can drink it til the cows come home. By far my favorite of any cheap beer out there. We will make this world a better place, one Pabst at a time. (413 characters)

1.51/5  rDev -51%

Pours a simple light copper with a thin white head and no lcaing whatsoever. Smells like a decent macro-lager, but nothing special. Tastes like water with a pinch of grain mixed in. No complexity, and no flavor. So bland I could barely finish it. I used to like this is, but no more. Avoid. (290 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -32.5%

This was one of my Dad’s favorite beers. From a can, poured into a footed pilsner glass, this is a light, transparent yellow color with a white, pretty head. Unfortunately, the head doesn’t last very long. Seems to have a little less carbonation than other, similar macros. Not much of an aroma…grain, corn…nothing else. Slightly sweet, very light…fairly smooth, with a less-than-crisp finish. Nothing distasteful, but nothing worthwhile either. (450 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +3.2%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a light gold color with one finger of head that dies off quickly. Almost no lacing. The smell is light with just a hint of malty and grassy aromas. The taste is also grassy and malty, but it's very light on flavor. Nothing offensive though. The mouthfeel is very light and watery. The drinkability is good though. If I had to choose a macro to pair with pizza, this would be it. (433 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +7.1%

Tried PBR again for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. Much more flavor than the big three. Hoppy aroma and a clean, fresh taste. Maybe I just was lucky and got a fresh bottle, but for the money, it can't be beat. My new go to beer when money is tight. (262 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +8.1%

I started drinking this beer after I became tired of the over-hyped premium brews out there. Beer pours a light yellow with little or no head. Smells like malt and nothing else. Taste of the beer is balanced, not too overpowering of hops/malt and can't detect the alcohol in the beer. I can drink this beer all day. While I like the premiums I am not afraid to slum it. (369 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -34.7%

Hmm, is this beer or water? I wonder...

Pours like seltzer, with the slightest tinge of pee. Smells like seltzer, with the slightest tinge of pee as well. Taste is rather nonexistent. It is impressively smooth, no skunk from this macro. But, the smoothness is so easy to create if there is no TASTE. However, I could down probably 2x the number of these than any other beer. Overall, I'd pick this over all the other macros if I'm playing beer pong. (452 characters)

24oz tallboy can obtained as part of BIF 13 from Qarre. Thanks for the opportunity, I think...

Gave it a shot at fame by pouring it into an imperial pint glass, where it formed a 1" white head over the clear light golden/yellow brew. Head is short-lived, but lasted longer than I expected, lacing is somewhat minimal, yet still better than I expected again. Aroma is minimal, and what is present is generic "beer", the lightest of malts with balancing nondescript hops. Nothing replusive, however, and that's always noteworthy.

Taste is upfront sweet adjunct presence, with the slightest of crispness at the outset. The main observation I am presented with is "watery". Mouthfeel and drinkability are both okay for the style. Fits the 3 average for me: the only negatives are lacks of positives. Good for mowing the lawn, which I will be doing momentarily. (863 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -14.3%

Roommate paid: $15 even for a 30 pack of cans...

The appearence of this beer is pretty standard: A clear golden base with a medium semi-fluffy head with signs of lacing and average retention. The aroma is of typical American macro-quality - yeast & corn mixture... eh

The taste is alright but not even into average level. It isn't bad however so a 2.5 is what it gets... The mouthfeel is pretty decent and the beers' best quality in the 5-point scale. The drinkability is average... folks it's PBR, a decent beer, the best macro beer in America...

Final Thought: This is the second best beer for price per quality (Honey Brown), definately a session beer when taste is irrelevant to your state of drunkeness... (719 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -29.2%

Had this ice cold, in a sub-zero mug because the bar had nothing of any quality and I hadn't reviewed it yet. I figured I might as well do some homework while I was infusing my system with empty calories. Obviously there was no smell because of the temperature, and there was very nearly no flavor either. I will give it points for NOT having the characteristic "formaldehyde" flavor of AB products, nor the "sweaty gym sock" of Miller's kind. There was a crisp, ropy, dried herb element to the flavor that was not all that pleasant.

____

Retasted:
Now from a goblet, I find there is an objectionable odor: vaguely nutty only putrid and rotten nuts. Phony cotton candy sweetness and ad hoc bittterness. I had hoped this would show-up a Baltic lager open on my desk. It did not. I can't figure out why this is the darling of slumming BAs. MHL is lots better. No change of score. (885 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -26%

Pours out a dingy but clean yellow. A big ole snow white head to begin with that settled down a thin film. Lacing wasnt much to speak of. Aroma was of cooked cabbage like smell as well. Taste was thin, watery, and not overly exciting. A grainy taste. Corn husks and steamed veggies. Carbonation was biting, but tolerable. Mouthfeel was thin and watery. Not very bitter, not very malty, but dry as a bucket of sand. Not a terrible beer, pretty standard macro lager. i wont complain, but there are better macros out there. enjoy. (527 characters)

So far I've pretty much only been reviewing beers that I thought were exceptional, but tonight I'm paying a little homage to our old friend PBR. Looks like any cheap beer, pale yellow, not much head at all, too many bubbles. Smell doesn't really entice me at all, just reminds me of keggers. The taste actually isn't as bad as most "cheap" beers. Not much flavor at all, pretty much just watery with a touch of maltiness. Mouthfeel is very carbonated, I can actually feel the bubbles popping in my mouth. Well, I don't enjoy it a whole lot but it's pretty easy to drink. Ok, so we all know PBR isn't the best of beers, but it's not the worst at all. I'd say it's the best macro beer out there perhaps. After all, it was "selected as America's best in 1893." Anyway, plenty of more interesting beers out there, we are all aware of this I would hope, but hey, go easy on the little guy. When you're in a pinch for cash and in need of a party, a case of Pabst may come in handy. Cheers. (983 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -16.9%

Clear golden straw hues with a ring halo.

Scents barley eek out a malt scent.

Me tongue can barely detect grain and some adjunct additive of perhaps corn or rice.

Light to medium body with plenty of carbonation, although this could be due to the religiously cleaned lines at Grey Lodge.

Decent to wash down some pub grub, but, seriously, PBR is ok at best, even on a good clean draught line.

Beer is good. Happy beering. (436 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -13%

Well, this is the hipster beer du jour in my part of the world, and I suspect that the reason for this is that people are deliberately drinking it to be ironic because it is cheap and normally associated with white trash. It's kind of like wearing the damn trucker caps.

Anyway, it's PBR. What can you say? It tastes like adjunct malts, but not offensively so, and there is the slightest hint of hops characteristic hidden in there, as well. It is a pale golden-yeallow beer, and it retains a slight head and fairly effervescent carbonation. It IS better than many American mass-produced beers, but that's not saying much. I put it on par with Budweiser. Anyone who claims it is significantly better (or significantly worse) is being fooled by either the Bud marketers or PBR hipsters.
Still, the 20 oz. chalice I received for $4.00 on a hot day to down my mexican food was A-OK, as it is refreshing, and a little more exciting than water. It's like beer-flavored soda. (973 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +21.8%

Ah, yes, my Grandfather's beer. I still remember the empty, fully sealed *from the brewery* can that he had..

Anyways... pours, well, pale yellow, clear, as it shour... the head doesn't hang out at all... but there is a thin ring of bubbles left down the side of the glass...

Aroma... holy cow.. I can almost smell some hops in this macro beer... that is impressive...

Taste.. a lesson in balance between hops and malt.. I can pick up a lil of each here.. not much, but enough....

Mouthfeel... well, slightly high on carbonation... but good.. thin.. as it should be for this type of beer..

Drinkablilty.. enough taste to keep you somewhat interested.. especially when you look at price points..

One of the best, if not the best mass produced american beer. (775 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +2.3%

How bad could this be? I mean, it won the blue ribbon, right?

If you drink lots of water, your pee will look like this. Come to think of it, drinking Peeber is like drinking water. Very thin. The smell ain't nothing to write home to Mama about, either. You might as well skip that "breathe out while the beer is still in your mouth" step in the beer-tasting tips. There aren't any subtle flavor/aroma nuances to be found here.

This poured a half-inch head that was gone faster than you can say "half-inch head". Once the beer is gone, there's no sign that it was ever in the glass.

The taste is, well, not much. It's that usual grainy thing that you get with beers that cost $5.99 for 12 bottles. Sure goes down easy though, kinda like [insert victim's name]'s mom. Much better from a bottle than a can, with little (if any) difference in price.

As a responsible journalist, I'll admit my bias: this is the house beer at Nyabinghi in Youngstown, OH, which is one of my favorite clubs. Buck a can on Monday nights. Come on down and join the PB Army. (1,061 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -40.3%

A friend of mine picked up a 6 pack of this while we were at his cottage and i tried one out on a boat ride. Can't say much about the appearence since it was in a can but the smell was unpleasant, something like sulphur.
The taste was pretty awful, strong presence of adjuncts, either rice or corn i guess. A very fizzy mouthfeel like tonic water and even though we were out on a boat in the sun i couldn't drink any more of these. (433 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -9.7%

So PBR has finally invaded Canada. This stuff is actually contract brewed by the Great Western Brewing Co. up here, so it's not the "authentic" original, but hell, it's like the Americans getting their Guinness Extra Stout brewed up here in Canada instead of from Ireland.

A decent looking lager from the pour out of the can, pale golden but lots of carbonation, as well as a fairly impressive foamy white head. It doesn't last long, but it's also something I don't see very often on an adjunct lager either. The aroma is light, slightly sour accompanied by a corn sweetness as well. Although I begin to wonder if there is a contingent of rice adjunct in there too. The flavour is light and pretty unoffensive, there is a slight underlying sweetness, and the mouthfeel and body makes me think that rice is the primary adjunct at work here. Not much malt, that's for sure. This would probably be the best cheap lager you can pick up in Canada at the moment given the price, damn near a buck a can which is almost unheard of (and completely unheard of for other drinkable beer in that category). (1,097 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -6.5%

A favorite beer from my youth. A sixer of PBR tallboys and life was great! Hard to imagine it took 136 reviews before I came to write this one.

Pale-straw colour with a foamy, white head that dissipates quickly but leaves a ring and smallish cap.

Fairly tin-ny nose that is a characteristic of its can, not its makeup. Faint grainy nose. Think: fading memories of distant, waving fields of grain. And there you have it.

Forward dry graininess. Balanced, but not hoppy. Think: a touch of barley, a hop cone and a handfull of adjunct. And there you have it again. Nothing striking, nothing offensive.

Very dry,crisp, light body. Finishes clean, with no aftertaste. A body that leaves you thirsty for more.

A great session beer, with or without food. And hey, it aint AB or SAB. It will always have a place in my heart and belly. Fond memeories, if not taste.

Cheers! (882 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -20.5%

PBR (Oklahoma 3.2% ABW maximum) Pours to a quickly fading white head that forms a thin layer of foam that stays. Color is the typical pale American color. Flavor is much weaker than the full strength version (which is sold in liquor stores in OK). From the can there is a metallic harshness in the mouthfeel that ruins the experience. The "low point" version is very weak. I drank several in one night and barely got a buzz. For $4.99 / 12 pack, what do you expect? Beer is expensive in Oklahoma because of high excise taxes, btw. (530 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -32.5%

Served on-tap at the local pub that my golf buddy and I stop at for a post-round pint. I'd thought about trying PBR before and after 18 holes I was hoping it would make for a decent, if unspectacular, thirst quencher.
Well, PBR had the prototypical macro lager appearance: clear Post-It note yellow with a soapy white head that fizzled down to a skim, leaving no lace. Well, appearances aren't everything, right?
In this case, the vague attractiveness is about the best thing going for PBR. The nose was totally, 100%-ly non-existant. None, nada, zip, ziltch, zero. At least it didn't smell rank. The taste was about as close to water as I've had the chance to experience with a beer. Only at the far back of my palate did a slight stirring of flavor come out, an echo of what should have been. That flavor was a faint maltiness reminiscent of a fresh-cut hayfield. Not a hint of hops anywhere. The feel was light, crisp, and dry.
I didn't go into this tasting with too many high hopes and didn't come away feeling any worse for the experience. It fits the style to a "T". It's not bad; you know, skunky or foul. It's just not anything. Not a brew I'd be eager to have again. I moved along smartly to a pint of SN Celebration Ale... (1,235 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -14%

Well this one is a beer that anyone can drink. It is cheap and can befound in any store. $5.00 for a twelve pack a buddy and some fishing poles is a perfect combination for any summer day. A cooler to keep this yellow brew cold is a necessity. This brew does not taste good when it has even changed a few degrees from ice cold. Although I have to say for the price you can not beat this massed produced brew. Smooth taste, extreem yellowish clear color, and a nice blue ribbon on the can say it all. I am not sure when it won that ribbon but in todays beer world I do not think Pabst would get to many high honors. Well I know that this beer has missed my generation by a few years but I still find it an economical choice when feeding the masses for a party. It does have more flavor than Natural light and is compairable to Bud Light. For the true beer drinker I think you have to appreciate the road that this beer has travelled down. Not the best but by far not the worst. (976 characters)

My first review is a trendy beer? PBR? The only reason I like this beer is it is the beer of the autoworker. When I was brainwashed into Busch and MGD land years ago, when I was a friends place that works at the Ford plant in Cleveland, he drank this exclusively. Foward about 10 years when I've had damn good micros and now, I'll say PBR is not half bad. I just kicked 5 back and I'm feeling no pain. Sure, it's average. Sure it's a lawnmower beer. But it has become a favorite for me. Better than the aforementioned Busch. When I want a good "generic" American "burp beer" I look for PBR. (590 characters)

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company