Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Avg: 3
pDev: 44%
Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,607 | Hads: 5,086
1.76/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

They won't be winning any blue ribbons with this one anytime soon. People will argue that this is an American classic. In reality- This beer is a watered down, flavorless turd.

2.5/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not bad, not good. Probably wouldn't go out of my way to buy, but it's ok as a cooler filler for an afternoon or evening outside with friends. Also, not as refreshing as I expected.

2.93/5  rDev -2.3%

This is a fine beer for what it is. It's oversweet, as is typical of BMC-style swill, but it actually goes down much easier. Certainly not the worst option if you're looking at an AAL.

3.11/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Picked up a 24 oz can at my nearest gas station. Poured right from the fridge into a pilsner glass.

L: Pours a crystal-clear pale straw color, with about an inch of white head that hangs around for a little bit and dissipates, leaving just a bit of lacing on the glass. Moderate visible carbonation.

S: Stewed vegetables, predominantly corn, in the nose. Just a bit of cracker/bread malt coming through.

T: Quite sweet at the front--very similar in taste to an apple cider. The middle brings on a bit of the stewed vegetable, with corn as the the most prominent flavor. There's a bit of tartness in the middle, as well--this, again, lends itself to a cider-like sensation. The back end has more of the cracker malt, a bit of corn, and more of that apple cider flavor. Virtually no bitter to speak of.

F: Light-bodied, quite effervescent, and a bit creamy in the middle. There's a touch of tartness in this one, but no bitter whatsoever. Very clean-finishing.

O: This is one of my favorite American adjunct lagers, right behind High LIfe. It's best enjoyed ice-cold--actually, I would only recommend drinking this one if it's quite cold. Easy-drinking, not too offensive with the adjunct flavors, and well-representative of the style.

3.94/5  rDev +31.3%

Always comes out top Staring and beer cooler after work. Right price right flavor. My go too when I'm not trying to be fancy. This or genny light. Great for fishing and bon fires.

3.74/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

PBR is good for what it is. It's cheap and it tastes alright. Hardly any cheap 30 rack tastes 'alright.' Genesee Cream Ale might be the only other 30 that tastes decent.

3.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Just picked up a 12 pack on a whim and I almost hate to admit it but this stuff isn't half bad.........WAY better than I remember as a kid in the 70's, that's for sure.

3.5/5  rDev +16.7%

Cheap, crisp, refreshing, and with a clean finish. The flavor is like most American adjuncts, but because of Pabst's use of corn syrup as opposed to corn, this drinks slightly sweeter than most others in this style. It has a light barley flavor and it's just a tinge metallic. Most adjunct lagers need to be drank fresh out of the fridge, but I can honestly drink this at any temperature.

Easily a go to beer if I'm looking for something on the cheap, since I can get a six pack of tall boys (16 oz) for around $6. It's gained a reputation as a "hipster beer", but I don't particularly care if people consider me to be as such for drinking this. The hipsters are right, because this is one of the best cheap beers money can buy.

2.74/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Not great, but by no doubt the best low budget beer in America. This is the only cheap canned beer I have ever tasted that I could actually smell and taste the hops of beer. PBR is an American classic, and although will never compare to real crafty beer, it is the best college/party beer ever.

2.25/5  rDev -25%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

12oz can into a pint glass
Best before: July 6th 2015

A: Crystal clear, bright straw yellow, 3 plus fingers width of white head actually has good retention before dissipating down, and leaves a few small patches of lacing. 3

S: Pretty unappealing aroma of adjunct characters, sweetness, and skunky notes. Very subtle floral, german hop like notes; although thats probably a stretch. Its not horrendous but its certainly not great. 2.25

T: Lots of sweetness, coupled with adjuncty flavors. I very much don’t like this. There are some floral notes, I guess. I will admit it is more flavorful than many AAL’s, the problem is its not a good flavor. 2

M/D: Medium body for such a light beer, carbonation surprisingly low, drinkability is below average for the style and ABV. 2.75

O: Don’t count me in the group of hipsters who enjoys a re-emergently trendy PBR. Its not the worst beer I’ve had, but even if I’m going to have an AAL, I would chose a different one. 2.25

2.35/5  rDev -21.7%

It is what it is: a cheap AAL. But for what it is, it ain't too bad. Most recently I got a half case for $7.00. What was I supposed to expect for that price? A trip through Belgium? A tour of a medieval monastic brewery? This is a good beer to drink when hot, tired, and in need of a refreshment. Or a go-to once you've had a couple of high end, high ABV classics and the taste buds are less than stellar.

1.43/5  rDev -52.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

4.9% ABV, 355ml can.
juz a lighter version of any other crappy cheap lager, similar taste. but u have to have them in our life, right? especially after whole day work, refreshing when it's freezed!

2.36/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

This is the beer that defines two terms for me...high school and vomit. As an adjunct lager, there is really not much to say in terms of nose, taste, and mouthfeel. It is crap beer, but to me, this one is a little crappier than others. That could be the high school experiences I associate with it, but it is what it is.

3.18/5  rDev +6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is clearly an American Lager. As is the case with so many "cheap" American Lagers it is now a better beer than the BMC beers. Is it great beer? No. It is easy to drink and doesn't need to be chilled to 32 degrees to be drinkable. If you are looking to get drunk and don't want to drink water all night, it's not that bad. For the specifics: Straw colored. Doesn't have much in the way of smell. It has a light malty taste without much in the way of hops. Not bitter at all. Light bodied. Only thing bad is it's a hipster beer.

3/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a can. Pale golden yellow with a thick white head, no legs. Good floral aroma. Taste is very bitter with a malty, cereal aftertaste. Thin texture. Not a great beer.

2.45/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Compared to the BMC family, I would buy this over any of them if I was looking for a session beer. Actually has some taste and body to it, but not much.

3.9/5  rDev +30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Hands down the best AAL I've drank to date! I can actually drink this stuff...& when the money's tight, its become my go to cheap beer! Much the same feel of a traditional AAL, but with a definite hop aroma, taste, & character.

3.62/5  rDev +20.7%

If you want a cheap, refreshing beer that doesn't taste like it was already drank once.. PBR is your go-to. Don't let hipsters ruin it. It's the drinkable alternative to B Light and Miller.

3.25/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

In my opinion, PBR has an undeserved bad rap. I find this to be an extremely easy drinking and refreshing beer...and it's inexpensive, you won't bust the bank or spend a tank full of gas looking for it! Something else going for it is the lack of that horrible "corn-grain" aftertaste so common in every other macro- brewed lager. The only real "negative" aspect PBR has is it's smell. Not sure what's going on there, it's not horrific by any stretch of the imagination, it's just a little off. I had never tried a PBR in my "formative" years, thinking it was more to my grandfather's liking...goes to show ya, there may be a reason some things stick around.

1.15/5  rDev -61.7%

Proof that hipsters are just being ironic, or moronic. This is bad stuff, tastes like day old beer that sat in a pewter mug overnight. Rough metallic taste that demands this beer be drank extremely cold and really fast. It's a good candidate if you have a bunch of extra salt and lime laying about.

2.76/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pabst Blue Ribbon or “PBR” is one of the last big macros I am yet to wrap my gob around and also infamously known as a hipster beer - I am the actually the original hipster before being a hipster was pseudo-cool and then not cool again, i.e. the rise and fall of hipsterism. So it is only natural that I should be reviewing this brew with the various hipster powers at my disposal [hipster powers include: wearing an op-shop trilby and blazer from the 1940’s, knowing where all the best cafés with free Wi-Fi are, and hipster vision: the ability to spot the best value for money meal at any restaurant... essentially it means being cheap]. Let’s do this thing!

Poured from a 473ml (WTF kind of size is that???) can into a Stein.

A: Pale clear, dare I say: urine yellow, with a huge 2 inch foamy white head that doesn’t seem to want to recede. It’s very light coloured, lighter than most Lagers - and they’re one of the lightest of styles. 7/10.

S: Quite adjuncty with corn notes to the fore, hints of grain, cut grass, faint hops (in a Lager?! *spits*) and that classic metallic cheap Lager character which shines on through the aroma. It’s not the worst cheap Lager I’ve ever whiffed but likewise it ain’t winning any awards. 5/10.

T: Grainy up front on the palate, bit of dirty vegetal and cut grass hops, some sweet corn to balance it out... actually tastes more like an Aussie macro Lager than an American one (Carlton Draught springs to mind)... in that respect I’m not impressed and would easily take a cheap German Lager like Oettinger Pils over this. Finish is dry and the aftertaste has a slight cloying corn sweetness that reconfirms its status as a cheap Adjunct Lager pas cher. 5/10.

M: Mid to light body with that aforementioned slight cloying and a medium carbonation. 7/10.

D: PBR is one of the OK crap beers - a gold turd if you will. The cloy from the sweet corn is a tad overdone and it could be a bit crisper, otherwise this is one of those beers you’ll see in the cooler at a party [possibly a hipster party] and your bro says “help yourself to a beer” and it’s PBR, Miller Draft, Coors or any light beer (this is a party in the US BTW)... in this situation go with PBR. What if you want a decent Lager to drink at home? Kozel Premium, Löwenbräu and Stella Artois have you covered. 6/10.

Food match: Hot dogs and hamburgers - US style!

1.93/5  rDev -35.7%

Every time I encounter a huge PBR fan I wonder in the back of my head if I'm the unwitting victim of some kind of practical joke or social trolling. I swear that if you did a blind Pepsi-challenge style taste test most of PBR's ardent supporters would not be able to discern it from MGD or any other so-so Milwaukee adjunct.

1.07/5  rDev -64.3%

Tried this for the first time the other day, I know its been around a long time. Light, water with an off flavor. Not a good taste at all. Awful choice with all the new beer out there. Marketed on sale very cheap often. Not worth it even for its low price.

3.56/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is a got to have a beer after dinner, and want it to be light. I always use this as a clear the palette while taking with friends beer. Crisp taste, not a bud.. Has a hint of bitter to let you know it is a beer.

1.28/5  rDev -57.3%

Cheap beer that's been around for a long time, got a can from my dad and I found out what all the hype behind this one was all about... And I was disappointed.
Drank from a can, I can't comment on the look.
Smelled of your average cheap beer, nice carbonation.
Tasted of... nothing. It tasted like most cheap beers I've had, like a Budweiser or a Busch.
It's not that I don't like a nice cold cheap beer on a hot summer day. But my expectations from what I've heard were not met.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company