2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
View: Beers (57) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,708 | Reviews: 1,468 | Show All Ratings:
Numba1Stunna

2.65/5  rDev -10.2%

Found a can of this golden nectar under my couch while looking for my ferret. Poured the majority of the beer on my girlfriend in the heat of passion (she asked me to). Left a sticky residue all over my ninja turtles pillows. I cleaned them though and they are good as new.

12-14-2013 02:00:23 | More by Numba1Stunna
caper1

Maine

4.79/5  rDev +62.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

honesty for the price, you cant beat it. Better than miller, bud light, Coors, and the others. Taste is some bitterness, smell is a bit grain like, and some hops. Nothing that would blow you're socks off. Pretty mild body. Nothing bad to say in the brew I had. You must give it try.

12-10-2013 01:03:58 | More by caper1
PvtSnowball

2.55/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Notes of rare earth and fresh harvested maize..

Who am I kidding, it's cheap swill and 12$ for an 18.

As a cigar smoker, I am well aware of the absurd pretentiousness
of most reviewers.

It's cheap swill that is better than most cheap swill.

Slightly orange golden with a "head" that disappears
before you can toss the can in the recycling bin. The
flavour is that of cheap, mass produced, American lager.

Not the worst and far from the best. Not bad for what
it is though.

12-07-2013 05:23:40 | More by PvtSnowball
bsonk

Oregon

PBR out a 40oz bottle for $3, not because my local 7-11 wanted to appeal to an "urban" demographic but because of the percentage of privileged white hipsters around here wanting to act like the urban demographic, if you catch my drift. Poured into a pint glass that used to hold a better beer. The first glass kind of tasted like the IPA I was drinking before I got too drunk to taste things and switched to the Nectar of the Gods. It's Monday, by the way, and yes, I am a lazy college student. This ish is pure Americana, which is to say that it's owned by international businesses and produced as cheaply as possible out of genetically modified ingredients. I fucking love it. Cheap, gets me kinda buzzed with 4.7(?)ish percent ABV and it's really not too bad tasting if you chill it a lot and pour it into a Kolsch glass/narrow-mouthed mug to concentrate the very mild hop nose it bears, and to distract from the corn/rice/whatever the hell adjunct grains they are putting in it. It's either the kind of beer you should drink after you polish off the good shit, or it is the good shit if you are impoverished. PBR is a timeless, shite drink that I imagine average Joes will quaff until the end of time. I anticipate talking to my grandkids about the times I've had with this beer and inadvertently turning them into Pabst-swilling lushes like myself.

P.S. Yes, I do live in Portland. I am a walking stereotype, so fucking sue me.

12-03-2013 10:17:07 | More by bsonk
michiganminer

3.7/5  rDev +25.4%

This is my go to beer. I try a bunch of beers and always come back to PBR. Its already one of the better AAL's out there. The mouthfeel is decent, it's not strong and does the job. no chemical taste or weird flavors. It's on par with Budweiser and you get a free 6 pack for the same price. Can't say anything bad about Pabst.

11-28-2013 05:13:57 | More by michiganminer
Kyle_Hanson

North Dakota

2.7/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This is one of the better adjunct lagers I've had. It's a little too sweet, probably because the adjunct ingredient happens to be corn syrup. Not as carbonated as BMC beers and looks a tad better. Still not great smelling though. Not as much of a corn, skunk, metal flavor like you'd expect.

Not a bad beer if it's found cheap.

11-09-2013 07:33:32 | More by Kyle_Hanson
brewbattles

3.2/5  rDev +8.5%

We did a blind taste test with this beer against five other light american lagers to objectively determine which one is best. The beers were Coors Light, Bud Light, Miller Light, Natural Light, and Pabst Blue Ribbon. You can check it out here:

11-08-2013 05:41:58 | More by brewbattles
screamking

3.11/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

16oz tall boy can poured into pint glass.

How does one of the absolute cheapest beers on the market fair in a craft world, not so well. However, taken in context it's a underdog that might surprise. It's not the best looking brew, pale yellow with a thick white head. It smells like a typical macro lager with corn and bread in abundance. The taste is also similar to the other macros, however I feel PBR is the bitterest up front. Really, the thing that seperates this the most is being a couple bucks cheaper than the already dirt cheap macro world.

11-04-2013 03:08:24 | More by screamking
NoBeerSnob

Maryland

2.75/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Feeling rather nostalgic, I ordered a longneck at the local watering hole. Having not had a PBR in about 30 years, I was surprised at the familiarity of the first sip...nothing special here, just a very average brew you can pound-down on the cheap. It definitely helps to have it ice cold, and be really thirsty.

10-31-2013 13:11:41 | More by NoBeerSnob
ratfink2099

1.86/5  rDev -36.9%

Pours that crystal clear pale straw color, with a slight, fizzy head that diminishes instantly with minimal lacing.

I cannot detect much in the nose. A hint of pale malt, and what I can only describe as metallic, starchy corn. There may be a hop in there...

Taste follows suit. This may sound silly, but I feel like I'm drinking Old Style brewed with softened water.

Mouthfeel is exactly what you would expect from an adjunct lager: Fizzy and seltzer-watery.

Overall, this is just another cheap lager that fills the "I can slam a bunch quickly" bill that justifiably lets the rest of the world make fun of American beer. I'm prepared to get flamed for this truth.

10-25-2013 07:08:16 | More by ratfink2099
Tthekraut

4.16/5  rDev +41%

Pabst has a light blond color that most beers of this type have.

It has a very nice smell. It is not to strong buy smells like your typical grain or hops beer. It is very sweet in smell and is slightly sweet in taste. It has a small head when poured and quickly dissipates.

The mouthful is a tad bit thin and not overly carbonated.

Overall it is a sweet beer that is a very good deal. A 18 pack will run you around 14 or 15 bucks. It's well worth the money and stands out as one of the best cheaper beers. P.B.R. is best on draft or bottle but is just fine out of a can but can have a different taste to some due to the can.

I took a chance when I bought this for the first time but I have made it my favorite "regular" beer. Give the beer its fair chance and you will be surprised.

10-25-2013 02:09:43 | More by Tthekraut
Captain_Komamura

2.55/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had a PBR in the can.

Appearance - It is a hay-colored beer, with a bubbly head that goes flat very quickly.

Smell - It has a sweet, metallic smell to it.

Taste - It tastes how it smells: sweet, metallic, and watered-down.

Mouth feel - Not over-carbonated like some BMC beers, goes down like bottled water.

Overall - Well after trying other BMC's this is pretty high up.

10-23-2013 03:36:10 | More by Captain_Komamura
archyquaffer

Montana

I've been drinking this beer for years, but this is my first review of it. I carried home a 12 ounce bottle from a local bar after seeing my team pummeled on MNF. My impressions upon drinking this from the bottle is that it is ultra smooth, which is something I don't get from the can. Usually there's a bit of sourness and metal (which I actually like and expect). However, in the bottle this beer is almost too smooth- like a Miller lite or something.

A moderate pour produces a 1/2 inch head that dissipates really fast, leaving a bubbly and a bit over carbonated beer that is very pale in color. Maybe just a touch of stickiness apparent on the sides of the glass. Not much of a smell- just an overall graininess with a kiss of hops. The bit of sourness that I expect becomes more apparent as this beer warms.

This is a very simple beer with more flavor than you get with Bud, Bud light, Miller lite, etc. It goes down easy, but has at least a modicum of flavor, and is well worth the money if gotten on sale. I think I prefer it in the can though.

10-22-2013 04:13:55 | More by archyquaffer
MTfish

Montana

Golden clean color in the glass and smells like a good cold crisp PBR should. It tastes like a good day on the river or getting face shots with ur bros and the mouthfeel is thirst quenching and refreshing. Overall its the best cheap canned beer you can buy and the can says nothin but freedom!

10-17-2013 04:43:09 | More by MTfish
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.01/5  rDev +2%

1B
Pours a medium straw to yellow color with a smallish bubbly white head that slowly dissipates. Light sweet grainy malt aroma with just a hint of corn and light fruitiness. Small bit of floral hops aroma. Sweet almost honey like malt flavor with a bit of fruity bready graininess. Very little hop flavor but a firm hop bitterness. Light to medium body with a spirited level of carbonation that pricks the tongue with every sip, and a sweet slick watery mouthfeel. Worlds above the last beer, decent enough and probably close to style, but a bit boring.

09-29-2013 19:48:47 | More by johnnnniee
RalphSMouse

Tokelau

Appearance: Light golden, almost like cider. Nice head, though it seems to die down pretty quickly, leaving faint lacing. I would have liked the head to stick around a bit more.

Smell: Reminiscent of cider again. Light notes of toast and hops. There is a mild solvent-like note, but it is not terrible.

Taste: Blend of mild hop bitterness, fresh bread, and faint fruity notes. Tasty, but too sweet. Very little taste of alcohol--you can tell it isn't a strong beer.

Mouthfeel: Thin and not bubbly enough. An American adjunct lager needs more carbonation, in my opinion. It goes down like water.

Overall, this beer is good, but not great. If you buy it fresh, in a 30 pack, for under $20, you're getting a fair deal.

It's about the same price as most of the Trader Joe's cheap lagers, but better--very little of the "bubblegum" taste that plagues most sub-premium lagers.

That is to say, the bubblegum note is there, but it's faint enough that I can ignore it.

I'd be interested in comparing PBR to "premium" lagers like Heineken (from a can) or Budweiser.

09-29-2013 17:54:59 | More by RalphSMouse
ElijahRivera

2.13/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

12 oz. can with a freshness date of Nov 11 2013. Consumed and reviewed on August 26 2013.

A- Poured a transparent dark gold. Big, creamy off-white head. Lots of lively carbonation with some bubbles clinging to the Duvel tulip glass. The big head receded quickly, but left a respectable layer of foam that stuck around for the long haul.

S- Grains, boiled corn, not clean and not great, but the expected aroma for a macro lager. No hops.

T- Sweet with a mildly bitter finish. Not very dry or crisp. A bit of a lingering sweetness. It mostly tastes like it smells, but comes off a bit better on my palate. The very slightest amount of hop flavor can be detected, but it is mostly covered up by bad adjunct flavors.

M- Lots of carbonation which is a refreshing plus, but the mouthfeel is a little full for the style, which I'm not fond of. Again not as crisp as I would like it to be.

O- I thought PBR was one of my favorite American Adjunct Lagers. I'm glad I sat down and analyzed it, because now I realize I need to move it down in my cheap macro rankings.

09-26-2013 03:21:20 | More by ElijahRivera
Ryanthebear

3.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Served in a 16 oz can while watching football on a Sunday afternoon.

Appearance - Pale yellow, with a white head that fades quickly.

Aroma - Not much there, some corn and mild grassy hops.

Taste - Clean, some bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Light, crisp, and refreshing. Definitely the highlight of this beer.

Overall, nothing complex here. But it is one of my favorite American adjunct lagers, and you can't beat the price ($2/can at this game day spot).

09-22-2013 21:26:59 | More by Ryanthebear
jhawth

2.65/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance: Poured into a shaker. Pours a crystal clear very pale straw color with a soapy two finger head that quickly disappears almost completely.

Aroma: Not much, but what is here is not that appealing. Unexciting grains coupled with a metallic note.

Taste: Much better than the smell would suggest. Sweet, unobjectionable grainy malts, followed by distinct notes of rice. Little to no perceptible hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light, lively carbonation. A bit too watery.

Overall: My go to AAL. While I think that Grain Belt is probably a better take on a somewhat woeful style, PBR is more readily available now that I no longer live in Minnesota. I can definitely appreciate a cold PBR with some barbecue on a hot summer's day.

09-13-2013 03:46:19 | More by jhawth
Josephddscott

Wisconsin

This beer comes straight from the gods. with the best flavor i have ever experienced . with a golden piss color pour, it keeps screaming back for more. with a amazing head that you cant beat.when it hits your lips its like getting a kiss from baby Jesus, i cant stop drinking it and i probably wont till my liver fails. ALL HAIL PBR!

09-12-2013 23:55:32 | More by Josephddscott
Matthew_Phoenix

3.63/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Alright, I've had PBR countless times. I just want to give my 2 cents on it. It has a classic American Lager taste. It isn't offensive like some of the other beers of similar price. Is quiet easy on the pallet. mildly sweet, but not too sweet. At least it actually has taste, something not every American Lager can say. I know what I'm getting when I'm getting a PBR, and that is the shear value.

That is one of the main reasons I give it such a high review. I can get a 30-rack for $13 - $16 depending on where I shop. More bang for your buck. If it didn't come in a 30-rack I probably wouldn't buy it. But the beauty of it is that it's the best tasting of all the 30-racks out there. You can't go wrong with what you pay for honestly.

All in all, I would have to say that this is my favorite cheap beer. If I'm ever low on cash flow and can't afford to shop around on beer and try new things/experiment, then I can just go to PBR for the time being and be fine with it!

09-10-2013 06:34:33 | More by Matthew_Phoenix
JackDempsy

4.08/5  rDev +38.3%

I don't know why this beer gets such a bad rap. It is by far the best tasting, mass produced beer in the USA. It has a fresh, clean, refreshing taste. On tap, this beer should out sell all the other mass produced lagers. I always have a twelve pack in my fridge - next to a few local IPAs and something new in a growler - and I find nothing strange about that.

09-08-2013 16:31:05 | More by JackDempsy
tubeyes

2.86/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A clear yellow, very foamy head that quickly dissipated, min to no lace S very grassy, citrusy sweetness. T lots of sweetness, corn and cheapness. M easily drinkable mouthfeel, well carbonated, made to be chugged, or at least drunk without thinking, sweet cheap beer aftertaste O Not the worst beer ever, but definitely not challenging to the pallet in the slightest. Had from can at OSDH Denton for world beard day, $1 special!

09-08-2013 01:16:21 | More by tubeyes
Beerwolf666

Maryland

3.38/5  rDev +14.6%

OK..Pabst Blue Ribbon is what it is man,Another mass produced American Macro Lager,nothing special or outstanding,nothing that hits you upside the head and makes you go WOW! man is this a great Beer!..however on the flip side,there also is nothing that makes you go YUCK! god is this stuff nasty!..hehe,and seeing how "PBR" is Generaly priced much lower then a lot of other American Macro Lagers,and IMHO is as good or better then most of them,it has it's place in my beer fridge~if you are throwning a backyard BBQ,or outdoor party with more then just a few close friends stopping by,PBR is a great choice,chill down a few cases of Pabst,and everyone will have plenty of Ice cold beer,gr8 with hot dogs and burgers,grilled chicken,and other BBQ grub,you can spring for all the beer without breaking your wallet,and on a Hot summer day,an Ice cold PBR taste purty damn good!;)
I consider Pabst Blue Ribbon to be pretty much just like Most American Macro Lagers as far as Taste ,smell,appearance & such,not much flavor to speak of,but that is true of almost all American Macro beers,Grainy & grassy with little to no Hop flavor is pretty much the norm,but Pabst Blue Ribbon is a VERY Refreshing brew to be sure,and is a gr8 choice when you are tapped out,or looking for a Beer you can stock your fridge full of for friends and company,or just want a Cold beer on a hot day~
anyway,as far as looking to mass produced American Macro Lagers for Originality,Tons of Flavor,Choice Hops & very well crafted brewing in general,you would pretty much be wasting your time,because you are just not going to find it,thats what Micro Breweries and Cratf Beer is for,but I think American Mass produced Macro Beers have their place too,they may not make any beers you can sit down with and enjoy while pondering just how the brewer created such a masterpiece of brewing Art,but they taste pretty damn good when all you are looking for is an Ice cold one to quench your thirst, Cheers and Peace2all:)

09-02-2013 13:58:00 | More by Beerwolf666

Freshness: Best by 11-04-2013
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle, twist-cap
Glassware: Tulip pint
Purchased: 6-pack from Kroger

A: Clear, light gold in color with lots of bubbles streaming in the glass. The white head starts out a good size but then fades quickly. Lacing is fair.

S: Aromas have light grassy hops and some pale malts.

T: Slightly sweet, balanced with a low bitterness. Not a lot of flavor

M: Highly carbonated with a light body, the finish is just like the taste, with a light amount of both bitterness and sweetness.

O: Kind of generic, but as an AAL seems to be fine. There's just not a lot to say about it otherwise

08-31-2013 02:51:43 | More by sommersb