Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros

It won a blue ribbon.

2.71/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

3.39/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.5/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.9/5  rDev -1%

1.64/5  rDev -44%

what do you really expect?

PBR is the best domestic lager you can buy and it is $7.99 per 12er. Enough said.

2.16/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

I tried PBR a few times in college and didn't care for it. I still don't, but I buy one occasionally because it makes a pretty decent chaser for Jaeger shots. Full-bodied my ass.
12 oz. can poured into an opaque plastic cup, as it should be. Don't bother dirtying a glass.
Look: Pale yellow, with a rapidly-dissipating head.
Smell: Beats me. Cereal maybe? I'm sure there are hops in there, but my nose isn't good enough to pick them up.
Taste: Not bad for the first few sips while the beer is cold. After you drink a few of these, warm PBR becomes something akin to syrup of ipecac. Drink it fast while it's cold. (This is espcecially true when paired with Jaeger). Thin, sweet, grainy flavor. I'll take their word on the hops, because I can't taste them.
Feel: Typical AAL, light and crisp.
Food pairings: Broken pretzel pieces from the bottom of the bowl, cold pizza, Marlboro Reds, Jaegermeister.

3.24/5  rDev +10.6%

3.4/5  rDev +16%

2.41/5  rDev -17.7%

2.36/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

3.5/5  rDev +19.5%

1.94/5  rDev -33.8%

I do not like this beer.

3.25/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.14/5  rDev -27%

Simple crappy beer but easy to drink

4.1/5  rDev +39.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I know this is a cheap beer and for many years, it was not even available around my parts of the woods. Well guess what folks, it's back. I love this beer. I don't know why, I just do. And, since posting on FB pages, I've noticed that some of my friends that I grew up with in High School love it too. Doesn't matter if it comes from a can or a bottle. Still taste good. I want to try this on tap some day.

2.58/5  rDev -11.9%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear straw color with lots of carbonation. The head is a finger high with a white shade. Retention isn't nearly as godawful as its BMC brethren, though the head leaves behind no lacing on the glass. (3)

Smell: Smells like a crappy macro, to be honest. Corn, cereal grains, and a bit of diacetyl consists the worst of the notes here; I'm not really getting much cotton candy or cooked veggies. There are actually a kiss of noble hops - can't hate on that. Sure, it doesn't smell particularly good, but it does smell drinkable. (2.5)

Taste: It opens up with some cereal grain, giving way to some vanilla cream and apple-esque sweetness. It can't really stand up to a properly good craft beer, but this one has its place. (2.5)

Mouthfeel: Much crisper and lighter-feeling than something like Bud Lite or Miller Light, with the carbonation falling just short of being annoying. A bit sweet, but endlessly drinkable. (3)

Overall: I could drink this again. I could drink a FEW of these again. And because it's so dirt fuckin' cheap (pretty much the cheapest beer I can find in my area), I'll even buy it again! Pairs well with 100 degree weather, thrash metal, and fishing. (2.5)

2.58/5: Heineken? Fuck that shit. PABST! BLUE! RIBBON!

2.88/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.04/5  rDev -30.4%

355ml bottle from Beers of Europe (£1.69):
What can I say about this one? It was pretty much as expected and not at all good, the smell in particular being a poor one but it did manage to remain at least partially drinkable, just not all that enjoyable. The taste was fairly basic and I could imagine it appealing to your macro lager drinkers due to it's crisp, clean taste but it wasn't a good beer at all.

3.43/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.33/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Don't be a pretentious beer snob, guys. PBR is actually decent for a mainstream adjunct lager. It's very refreshing and smooth. Granted, PBR is thin, light-bodied, lacks flavor and aroma, but it's not as watered down or horrible as the other macro lagers (i.e. budlight -sorry).
It has a slightly funny scent of metal, faint hop profile, and grainy (corn-like) note to it.
I still give this more points for being cheap and largely available. Also, the taste is clean and crisp. I don't mind drinking this.

2.95/5  rDev +0.7%

3.69/5  rDev +25.9%

PBR is by far my favorite beer with similar "lightness". I would buy PBR almost exclusively in college, because I believed (and still believe) that it was the best beer I could buy for the price. I could get a 12er for $7.99. Unfortunately PBR has seen an increase in demand, resulting in a higher price in my area. Now I think a 12er of Sam Adams or New Belgium is a better deal. PBR pours a nice golden yellow and is very refreshing. Always puts off those who like to rid beer of all of its taste. It is a little skunky but something about it tastes great. I recommend getting in cans, as the bottles seem to add some off-putting skunkiness.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company