Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,835 | Reviews: 1,616
3.21/5  rDev +9.6%

Light golden, lots of head

Smells like light beer.

Taste is watery, very light malt, grassy flavor, but pleasant.

Good carbonation effervescing for a bit gives a nice mouthfeel.

Its taken me many months to come to the conclusion that there is a time and place to enjoy this beer. Also, sometimes its the only selection other than BMC. I like it much better than the BMC choices, hands down. And its great while working in the yard.

I like this beer.

3.1/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured into pint.

A: Deep golden color. Medium heavy carbonation pours into a one finger, bubbly, white head. Quickly disintegrates completely, but carbonation continues to rise throughout. No lacing to speak of.

S: Very light malt and hops. Really not much else to see here.

T: Nice well-balanced, subtly sweet malt. Not too harsh, or cloying either. A touch of hops.

M: Light bodied, but sufficiently hearty malty goodness. Slight hops, a sweet touch, and mildly piny finish.

D: Nice. Good balance. Decent flavor and feel. You could really power through these (if necessary).

Atmosphere is kinda' what you'd expect from a macro brew. . . not much to speak of. Flavor is more than serviceable. Feel is non-offensive. Overall, decent quaff. . . I would go so far as to say, comfortably above average as far as macros go.

1.53/5  rDev -47.8%

When first pouring from it's can, the foam was a very light wheat color/ almost white that dissapated quickly followed by the pale malt aroma with a metallic tone (probably from the can). Taste - It has mostly a crisp light malt taste that feels watered down with also metallic flavor.
A friend of mine drinks this beer often and offers me one now and then. At first I tried to get used to the taste(if you call it that). But now I can't stand it. It's probably one of the worst beers I've had.

3.15/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had straight from the 12 oz. can, ice cold and with friends,and in a glass to judge appearance.

A: Clear, golden lager with a white head that sticks around much more than I expected.

S: A clean smell colored only by the grassy hops and basic pale malt.

T: This is a crisp refreshing beer. First the hops open up with some bitterness and earthy undertones, followed by the malt, which both ride on the clean carbonation. The malt seems to have a rather grainy character, rather than a bread-like one. The finish is quite dry and clean. The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied and high in carbonation.

D: A very simple premium Lager; clean and light. I find this to be much more bearable than say Budweiser or Miller. A go-to beer for pizza or other such cheap foods, and great to enjoy with friends. It's not something I would stick with all the time, or even most of the time. Yet, it's uncomplicated and can be a great change of pace from heavy or pretentious beers.

2.88/5  rDev -1.7%

On-tap poured from a pitcher into a pint glass.

A: Light yellow, typical of an adjunct lager, with some cloudiness. Nice frothy, brilliant white head. More carbonated than I remembered it.

S: A slight earthy hop character existed. Musty would be the best word to describe this, maybe a touch of sulfur and corn.

T: Corn, with a slightly sweet finish. Very clean tasting beer. Not a lot in the way of flavor, but quite smooth.

D: Easily the most drinkable and clean of the adjunct lagers. The faint hop character makes this seem like a decent beer when faced with pour choices, can be consumed very easily in mass quantities, and is actually a bit refreshing.

3.22/5  rDev +9.9%

One of the things that really enjoy is the fact that the reasons why people like different beers vary so greatly. I have benefited from adult objectivity, seeing as I started drinking at 25. I never had frat boy experiences that would cause me to rate something like PBR or a Natty Light at straight fives because at one point in my life I drank 17 of them in one night, and I wasn't hung over the next day.

It's fun to take a break from really intense beers, and ever once in a while, just crack open a can of simple, decent brew. PBR is certainly not the greatest beer ever, but for what it is, and how much it costs, It's difficult to beat. It's bright yellow, Impossibly clear, energetically carbonated, and it hangs onto a layer of head for long enough to respect. The smell is pure, simple, clean. Corn and other adjuncts. The flavor is acceptable. There's a tiny tang of metallic discordance in there, but it's not loud enough to be offensive. Other than that, this is a light, refreshing, clean and simple beer. Easy to drink and feels good in my mouth.

3.97/5  rDev +35.5%

This is one the absolute best cheap American lagers, and it is particularly good and satisfying on tap, although rather hard to find like that in California.

On tap, it looks like it does from the bottle or can, straw-golden, with a decent white head steadily shrinking to a ring and leaving a hint of lace.

The aroma is a great, basic US lager character, atronger on tap with a lot of strong grain, a little honey, grass, and pine, clean and very pleasant with some character.

The taste is similar, and like the bottle or can, grain with a light grassy hop bite with the faintest hint of lemon, clean flavours and a light, crisp bitterness. Compared to the can or bottle, on tap, it has an even stronger, fuller, more lasting taste of strong, fresh grain that lingers long after the finish.

2.92/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance - Light gold in color, usually pours a decent white head that fades a little fast, but not overly so.

Smell - Corny, slightly sweet, slightly bitter. Nothing overwhelming, nothing harsh.

Taste - Slightly malty, and a tad bitter, but only a tad. Finishes slightly sweet, slightly dry.

Mouthfeel - Lightly soapy, with a healthy amount of carbonation.

Drinkability - Its PBR. You can drink a few without even noticing. Overall, its never going to be fantastic, but its nothing to scoff at, especially for the price. Always my choice over B/M/C.

2.6/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured from a 12oz can into a mug.

Appearance/Smell - Appears ultra clear gold/yellow with more than an inch of outstanding frothy head. Pretty poor retention though, and lite carbonation with very large bubbles escaping rapidly. Doesn't leave any lacing, and carbonation dies down quite a bit leaving a dull appearance. Smells of rice, grains, citrus aromas and some mixed vegetables. All very clean aromas, very lite and not much to detect at all. Smells a little sweet as it warms.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of watered down flavors consisting of rice, grain, corn husk, hints of malt and mixed vegetables. Overall very watery and clean, as in the smell. Not much flavor at all! Mouthfeel is watery, thin and lite bodied with some lively carbonation on the palate. Not a very desirable body for the style.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - I remember having a more flavorful (PBR) in the past. What happened? This time around, no flavor, watery, to lite, and no aroma. It definitely left something to be desired, and I'm frankly a little disappointed. On the other hand, this beer is highly sessionable, easy to toss back a few on a warm day, or drink all night. I think I might go with Bud over this though, just wasn't impressed with this one. I'd pass.

1.53/5  rDev -47.8%

A Pale yellow and fairly translucent. Light white and utterly lacking retention with a permanent sticky lace

S Weak notes of hopps and grain

T Very hoppy with almost no grain. Weak and watery with a hint of tin foil. Yes. Tin foil.

MF A bit harsh and soapy.

Drinkability is fairly low. The sour bitter sting of hopps seems not quite right.

Overall this beer is not something i'd buy, but I still like it over other macros such as the dreaded bud. If nothing else i'll drink it in honor of blue velvet. PBR!

3.8/5  rDev +29.7%

A: Medium golden yellow, transparent. 1" head disappeared quickly after pouring (although not into a suitable glass)

S: Nothing much, light maltiness if anything

T: Exceptional for a beer that comes in 30 bombs, I would place this in the upper echelons of "college beers". Taste begins with a clean but refined grainy flavor, crescendoing into a crisp malt finish with little aftertaste.

M: This is where this beer truly shines. Excellently smooth and just enough carbonation. Not too much as to make it feel like a soda, yet enough to remind you that you're drinking beer and not flat water.

Drinkability: Good session beer, my favorite whenever I'm watching F1 or Le Mans on the tube, and great for parties. And dare I mention... beer pong (gasp!).

Overall, my favorite of the cheap brews. During such pressing economic times, you shouldn't feel the need to cut back on flavor, even if you need to cut back on price. As an already broke college student, I have no qualms about suggesting this fine beer for any occasion. This is one heck of a value for the $, and I wish other brands at this price point could compare to the almighty PBR. Whether watching the big game or out grilling with neighbors, no beer is more drinkable than Pabst Blue Ribbon.

2.98/5  rDev +1.7%

I saw that this did a lot better on here than I would have anticipated so I decided to experiment. At $6.79 a 12 pack how could you go wrong?

Good news is it's not as bad as I thought. Bad news is, it's still pretty bad.

A - nothing special - looks like yellow cheap beer from my college days

S - Honestly, nothing really positive to say here with the smell.

T - Taste is very malty but not terrible.

M - Honestly, this is where the beer does well. The mouthfeel has a carbonation that pops

D - I have to say that I could see myself drinking this beer during the summer in a session but I'm going to put the rest of this 12 pack on hold for now...

3.66/5  rDev +24.9%

Pours a straw yellow color with a fizzy, sudsy white lacing which quickly dissipates. Aroma is pretty one-dimensional with light grain, corn, hay, with the faintest whiff of some light fruit and hops. Mouthfeel is accurate for the style, light and loose with lots of spiky carbonation. Taste is like the nose, although there is a little bit more evidence of the hops (although still negligible). Not overly sweet, finishes a little dry. Drinkability is high, since I basically use this beer as a substitute for soda. Overall, this beer exemplifies its style very well. It is not totally devoid of flavor. And it also doesn't smash you over the head with sweetness like Yuengling Traditional does. $6.50 a 12-pack doesn't hurt either.

2.82/5  rDev -3.8%

A- Pours yellow with some head. No lacing, really. Not too much here.

S- Stronger than most $15 per 30 rack beers... slightly sweet malt, corn, grainy.

T- Not too bad... slightly sweet, grainy, slight metallic twinge. Definitely bette than a Natty or Keystone.

M- Carbonated, thin. Slick and refreshing, but nothing special.

D- Definitely a drinkable beer. Good for those days when you're outside and having a BBQ with a bunch of friends.

Best in America in 1893... times have changed.

3.73/5  rDev +27.3%

Was finally able to pick up some of this the other day at a grocery store that is an hour drive from my house. My first chance to try this legendary brew. I know, I know, what took so long? Well, except for maybe in college a million years ago, none of the stores that I've lived by since then have ever carried it. Don't know why, they just haven't.

Anwways, I think I've finally found a good alternative to BMC when I have to buy an adjunct lager. Looks/smells like any other adjunct lager out there, except....it actually tastes pretty decent! Considering the price, why would anyone buy a BMC? I won't be abondoning my normal "good" stuff (or homebrew) in favor of this anytime soon, but I will definitely continue to put it in my frig as a quick, go-to beer. Thank God this is still out there, I can't drink another Miller Lite or Bud.

I know this wasn't the best formatted review, but I can't contribute anything that hasn't already been said, and by more eloquent reviewers. Just wanted to give my endorsement FWIW.

3.08/5  rDev +5.1%

I figured it fitting to review PBR as my first beer, because it is my fall back when I have no liquid funds for good beer.

Appearance: Light yellow, decent head, lacing non-existent. Nothing special here.

Smell: Pretty weak smell, but pick up hints of corn, hops, and malt.

Taste: It tastes similar to the smell. Subtle flavors of hops and malt that balance out pretty good. It is definitely not the strongest tasting beer in the world, but hey it's 15 bucks a 30-pack.

Mouthfeel: Think BMC, pretty similar to the big three.

Drinkability: This is where I feel PBR shines. The smooth, balanced, and not overly-strong PBR can be drank in the dozens. Great for tail-gating, block parties, and basically situations where you will be drinking all day.

2.69/5  rDev -8.2%

Appearance: It's light yellow. There's some head retention and a little lacing. It settles down to form a thin foam layer on top of the beer - looks like a normal lager.

Smell: Early on, right after it's opened, my sample smelled like match heads and sewage. I'm not sure what they're doing to this brew in Wisconsin, but it's not smelling great.

Taste: it tastes OK. Taste is there early. A little bit of corn, but not overwhelming. It's a weak enough flavor that it's not offensive. A little grain, slight creaminess, then well water taste. Not as overtly metallic as Stroh's, and not as creamy as Genny. A little edgier than Genny. The best I can say: it doesn't taste too much like corn or pool water.

Mouthfeel: not that interesting; pretty nominal.

Drinkability: great if you don't mind the smell. There's not much to overwhelm you here.

2.18/5  rDev -25.6%

When I open my brewery I will try to hire away the marketing folks from Pabst Brewing Company. However, I will not try to find and replicate their recipe!

The aroma was a bit sulfury with faint hop aroma and some slight malt and corn.

The color was bright yellow/golden and the beer was crystal clear.

A good sized head formed upon pouring but rapidly went away leaving a thin white film on top.

There wasn't a whole lot of taste but I was able to pick out some upfront sweetness followed by light bitterness. A slight metallic taste seemed to appear on a few sips.

The carbonation and mouthfeel were mild to medium and the beer was very thin on the pallet.

I'll leave this one to 13 year old kids who are trying to get sponsored in snowboarding.

3.37/5  rDev +15%

Poured from 12oz can to pint glass

A: Pours a straw color with strong carbonation with a white head with okay retention but no lacing.

S: Smells malty grainy with small hops and almost not corn scent.

T: Tastes about the same as it smells, Nice mellow grain with malt and some hop bit to it adding just the smallest amount of bitterness. Very good, doesn't get much better.

Overall: Standard mouthfeel for the style, maybe a little on the carbonated side. Very drinkable as well. one of my favorite adjuncts.

3.7/5  rDev +26.3%

A staple of any good college student's diet, this is the classic "cheapest beer that isn't Steel Reserve" for the drinker with a light bank account.

A - Pee yellow. For me, it's hard to say any beer has unpleasant appearance. This one falls about as low as it can in the mediocre range.

S - Malty, sweet, very light.

T - Surprisingly good. Sweetness is enlightening. Try drinking this one after a darker beer and the sweetness will catch you off guard. Hints of grape and honey underly the high carbonation. Other than that, there's basically no taste here. What taste is there, is pleasant.

D - I could drink this all day (and I have). When all is said and done, I think this might be the most highly drinkable beer I've ever encountered. Even for an American lager, the drinkability is exceptional. The carbonation can be a bit overwhelming, but if you just take your time, it shouldn't be a barrier.

3.35/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours piss yellow. with a decent head to start with that quickly faded. smells like any other american lager. tastes is where the difference comes in...so its built like most american lagers, but its a bit sweet the the others, and has a more hop presence then the big 3, not alot of hop flavor and not bitter, but juuust enought to let you know they are there, and to add some more character to a pretty boring style. has a nice, clean, refreshing taste to it.

Overall, for what it is, this is a REALLY good brew. Line it up next to the three big boys and this one wins hands down, every time.

This is a great beer when you arent needing/wanting a Great beer. Its great with some bbq or just kicking back watching a game or after some yard work.

2.73/5  rDev -6.8%

This beer poured alight yellow with a single-finger head that didn't last long with a lot of visible carbonation. The smell is grainy malt that's very typical of the style. The taste is slightly sweetness that doesn't last long with a pretty clean finish. The mouthfeel is watery, but crisp due to the fairly aggressive carbonation. This is a very drinkable beer by design. Not the worst six-pack you can get if you only have $4, but there's definitely a reason it hasn't won an award since 1893.

3.43/5  rDev +17.1%

OK, so no reason I have not reviewed this other than usually when I buy PBR I am going on a camping trip, a tail gating event, or a some outdoor thing when I want a decent brew for nothing but the lowest cost. So with that said, no computer at those events. Well today I am gearing up for the first "pre-spring" grill out and have a second to review...

Poured from the "Blue-Ribbon" can into a glass this brew has a thin looking golden wheat color with a little white head that fizzles down to nothing. The aroma is of yeast, rice, corn and light malts. The taste is clean (a little watery), nice crisp carbonation, and some light alcohol after taste. Honestly on a day when all I did was house work and had a mighty thirst, this hit the spot. For the price almost can't beat.

1.56/5  rDev -46.8%

I do not see what the hype is about this beer aside from the fact that its cheap. But so are Natural light and Milwaukee's best. It tastes salty and does not feel good on the palate. It sets really heavy too. I will spend the extra money to get a better quality beer any day.

2.96/5  rDev +1%

PBR has the look and feel of a BMC product (yellow color, thin head, and robust carbonation). I think where this beer differers is in the taste. It has a little bit better taste than a BMC but not by much. The malt presence is slightly more noticeable, but other than that it's still very grainy and hints of corn. For the price difference for a 6/12/24 pack it's really anybody's call....

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company