Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,600 | Hads: 5,050
2.04/5  rDev -33.8%

355ml bottle from Beers of Europe (£1.69):
What can I say about this one? It was pretty much as expected and not at all good, the smell in particular being a poor one but it did manage to remain at least partially drinkable, just not all that enjoyable. The taste was fairly basic and I could imagine it appealing to your macro lager drinkers due to it's crisp, clean taste but it wasn't a good beer at all. (408 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Don't be a pretentious beer snob, guys. PBR is actually decent for a mainstream adjunct lager. It's very refreshing and smooth. Granted, PBR is thin, light-bodied, lacks flavor and aroma, but it's not as watered down or horrible as the other macro lagers (i.e. budlight -sorry).
It has a slightly funny scent of metal, faint hop profile, and grainy (corn-like) note to it.
I still give this more points for being cheap and largely available. Also, the taste is clean and crisp. I don't mind drinking this. (506 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +19.8%

PBR is by far my favorite beer with similar "lightness". I would buy PBR almost exclusively in college, because I believed (and still believe) that it was the best beer I could buy for the price. I could get a 12er for $7.99. Unfortunately PBR has seen an increase in demand, resulting in a higher price in my area. Now I think a 12er of Sam Adams or New Belgium is a better deal. PBR pours a nice golden yellow and is very refreshing. Always puts off those who like to rid beer of all of its taste. It is a little skunky but something about it tastes great. I recommend getting in cans, as the bottles seem to add some off-putting skunkiness. (643 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +54.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great adjunct lager. Lite body, crisp, refreshing. For an AAL it does have a little more character than similar brands, not complex, just a little more character. Very drinkable or a great session beer, also a good burger, pizza, tacos beer etc. Compare with other more expensive beers and you will be pleasantly surprised. (323 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +37.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

What? You need help painting your house? You have some cold PBR? Sure. Be glad to help. I still owe you one from that roof repair you helped me with last year.

It's work beer. Straightforward, best cold, right amount of carbonation, a little malt. This is what beer is supposed to be. The kind best shared with friends over sweat.

And it tastes pretty good too. (371 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

As a Semi broke college kid this is the perfect beer for a night of heavy and excessive drinking, or when watching the game at a relaxed restaurant. Other than that this beer is just okay. (188 characters)

Pabst Blue Ribbon is the perfect beer for stumbling down the street while discreetly sipping from within a brown paper bag. PBR is the drink of choice for NYC hipsters and classy hobos alike.
I usually grab PBR when I only have a few dollars left to my name and I desperately need to forget my problems with a drunken stupor and horrific hangover.
It has a very mild taste with no distinguishable hops, and it goes down smoothly. It is best to drink PBR while laying in the darkest corner of a subway stop. (508 characters)

Personally, I found it weird when my friends said that they wanted to funnel beer into their butts, but as a huge Howard Stern fan, I thought "if Richard Christie can identify beer through his ass, how hard can It be?" So I de-pants, my boy Dave held my legs behind my head as I lay on my back, and my other buddy, handsome mike, did the pouring. Just a little sip at first, as I didn't want to get too giggly. All I can say is "Yum!", very good mouth-feel, light but full-bodied, and refreshing - also not sticky! I think that this is the only way to drink this American Classic. Happy drinking, friends! (605 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -18.8%

PBR was my first swill!

My dad would give me a "sip" from his stubby PBR bottle back in the 60's, and we had a Pabst brewery right in our town. (Whoo-hoo, when they were malting that barley, LOOK OUT. Stunk to high-heaven and there was nowhere to hide.)

Fast forward to 2014 and PBR has enjoyed a revival of sorts with the "hippster" crowd who want a cheap beer that isn't your Bud/Miller/Coors offering. Sadly, it's really only a fraction of what it used to taste like, as it has the same flavor profile but much less strength. It's kind of a PBR "near beer."

It's not bad, but I can't really ever buy this these days - not with Yeungling sitting right next to it, (Are you crazy?) PBR has to take a down-market seat next to the Busch Ice and Milwaukee's Best. In it's day, it had a solid seat next to Hamms, Falstaff, and Schlitz. (At least it hasn't suffered the fate of those labels.) (892 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It excels at being both light and tasty, while remaining true to the very foundation of simplicity. Especially given the price, this beer works exceptionally well. (163 characters)

The infinitely drinkable go to clear beer. Sweet nose. Smooth on the tongue. Decent body. Easy finish. Good for building beer wands at cons and fests. (150 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -10.7%

I've had many horrible beers in the past. PBR wouldn't rank in that category. It's not a great tasting beer, but it's lite and refreshing. This beer has it's purpose. Plus you can't beat the price. (197 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

"Heineken! F**k that sh*t! Pabst! Blue! Ribbon!"

Yeah, I sometimes like to drink the beer of Frank Booth. It's nice to see that it's gaining in popularity again. It's cheap. It's not good beer. In fact, it is really bad beer. But it's cheap. And there's a pop culture cult thing going on with it, hence the Blue Velvet reference. You get about halfway through the can and it starts to change. Suddenly it's not half bad! I really kinda like this stuff! And a friend nearby says, "That's because your taste buds are desensitized. Keep drinking, buddy."

And I do. (576 characters)

Pabst is often knocked for being a cheap beer only suitable for college Keg parties or cheap rounds at the bar. That said, it is, in my opinion, the best of any major domestic lagers. Definite hint of hoppiness, a little sweet with out any overpowering flavors. Smooth with a strong finish. By far my favorite domestic beer (323 characters)

Not bad at all for what it is. Seems like low scores are because they think this is a kobe fillet and its really top ramen. When rated as it is a 5-7 dollar 12 pack type of beer it has decent flovor aroma if kinda off putting but whos sniffing there pbr anyway. (261 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I broke down and after more years than I care to recall picked up a 12 pack of cans for nostalgia reasons. I poured it ice cold into an hour glass type glass

The beer has a very light straw color with a surprisingly good amount of head retention. The smell was very neutral with just a hint of grains. The taste was also quite neutral with some grains and just a hint of floral hops. The mouthfeel was good and the finish crisp and quite refreshing after a round of golf. It goes down good.

Overall I was generally impressed with the beer and it will probably see my garage refrigerator again, especially if I can pick it up at a good price. (648 characters)

Musty barley odor. Clear yellow with 1 inch head, dissipates moderately. Corn, barely and hint of sweetness. Would not buy again. Stereotypical comment: you get what you pay for. (180 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -10.7%

The beer comes in a light crystal clear golden color.

There is not much of an aroma, which is good to avoid offensive adjunct lager qualities. Sweet grain, corn, and musty hops.

The flavor is sweet corn, grainy cereal malt. The beer has a decent bready malt backbone that makes it arguably more significant of a brew than Bud, Miller, Coors. (343 characters)

If you are a poor alcoholic then this is the beer for you. Between the affordable price, the decent alcohol content and the lack of flavor you can drink a lot of these with relative ease. (187 characters)

9-6-14. Can. Pilsner glass.
A: Pours a pale gold with 3 fingers white rocky head. Fades to 1/4" grayish white foam. Decent lacing.
S: Grainy. Surprisingly clean. Little hop presence to speak of.
T: Almost nothing. Mild, fizzy arrival; slight sweetness across mid-palate. Clean, dry, slightly bitter finish. Mild, funky adjunct taste after it warms up.
M: Light-to-mid bodied. Not overwhelming carbonation (surprisingly).
O: This is a perfect American Adjunct Lager. It surprised me to remember how little flavor these have. But it serves its purpose very well; affordable, refreshing, pairs outstandingly with food. The category is dull, but this beer shines. (671 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours a pale yellow with a fizzy head. The smell is faint but I do get some grain and mild hops aromas. The taste is clean, yet not a whole lot there. For a beer priced very cheaply it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. (230 characters)

24 oz can

It's perception seems to be worse than it is. Went in with really low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Probably won't get it often, but it's decent.

Tastes more like "it's hot out" than a "I need a drink with flavor." (241 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

The best american common. Budweiser, before it was procured by InBev, might have stood up to it as the cheap but ubiquitous american beer, but it has since taken over. Don't let the hipsters and PBR's pandering marketing turn you off automatically; if you've only got a couple of bucks, it's the common for you.

That said, you should probably spend more money on your beer. A dollar or two more will make a lot of difference in overall quality. (445 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +5.8%

Pabst makes a good beer. Thought I'd sit down and actually review it to give it its fair dues.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle, poured for appearance

Appearance (2.5) : Quickly receding fluffy 1-finger head with a light gold/straw colored body. I guess I could say it looks like pee, too. Transparent enough to read through but still looks like a good body.

Smell (2.5) : Dirty corn, cooked cabbage, some faint citrus rind. Old rotten tomatoes, some fermented green grape. A little off-putting but a bit more extravagant than most american adjunct lagers.

Taste (3.25) : Smooth, full-flavored, yummy. You can taste the dirty hops. At first try (tries) I have to admit I thought Pabst was pretty gross, but I've come to like it over time because it actually tastes like SOMETHING, rather than nothing OR just corn. It's got a woody flavor, a little peppery, heavy on sour grains, some floral hops that outweigh the malt just a tad, a bit of dirt, a pinch of hothouse tomato, corn, and just a touch of bitter green vegetable. Ends with a residual wet newspaper finish. I could sit here and try to adjudicate this beer all day, but really - it tastes like Pabst, pure and simple. its got its own thing going on. So yeah. Some oddities, but overall it's a satisfying lager.

Mouthfeel (3) : Light-to-medium bodied, carbonated, wet, and smooth. Ends with a papery finish.

Overall (3.26) : A good tasteful lager representative of its style. Some folks don't like it because it actually tastes like something, but I don't mind, even if some of the flavors are off-putting. On the right night this beer does good. On the wrong night it can possibly be a drain pour, unless you exclusively drink Pabst. It is a staple in my beer fridge and probably will be for a long time to come. (1,774 characters)

You get what you pay for, a luckily with PBR you don't pay very much! Strong adjunct corn flavors. Very watery. Somewhere in the watery mess theres a hop that probably fell in the tank by accident while brewing...its an AAL. Tastes a little better than most. Price is great (273 characters)

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company