Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Avg: 3
pDev: 44%
Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,607 | Hads: 5,083
2.82/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Sweeter and perhaps more flavourful than other AAL's; that can be good or bad. Sometimes I want something more watery, just to chug back, like Busch or something. Either way, I'll play the hipster game when I want to.

1.32/5  rDev -56%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

If it's 110 degrees and your at the lake and you wanna be able to drink beer all day, then grab this. I really can't see any other time where it would be a good idea.

2.26/5  rDev -24.7%

Pabst is by far the most overhyped macro beer in the north america. It looks the same as almost all other macros but the smell of grain is really strong and the taste is very bitter unless served ice cold. I still take regular bud any day

4.1/5  rDev +36.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I know this is a cheap beer and for many years, it was not even available around my parts of the woods. Well guess what folks, it's back. I love this beer. I don't know why, I just do. And, since posting on FB pages, I've noticed that some of my friends that I grew up with in High School love it too. Doesn't matter if it comes from a can or a bottle. Still taste good. I want to try this on tap some day.

2.58/5  rDev -14%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear straw color with lots of carbonation. The head is a finger high with a white shade. Retention isn't nearly as godawful as its BMC brethren, though the head leaves behind no lacing on the glass. (3)

Smell: Smells like a crappy macro, to be honest. Corn, cereal grains, and a bit of diacetyl consists the worst of the notes here; I'm not really getting much cotton candy or cooked veggies. There are actually a kiss of noble hops - can't hate on that. Sure, it doesn't smell particularly good, but it does smell drinkable. (2.5)

Taste: It opens up with some cereal grain, giving way to some vanilla cream and apple-esque sweetness. It can't really stand up to a properly good craft beer, but this one has its place. (2.5)

Mouthfeel: Much crisper and lighter-feeling than something like Bud Lite or Miller Light, with the carbonation falling just short of being annoying. A bit sweet, but endlessly drinkable. (3)

Overall: I could drink this again. I could drink a FEW of these again. And because it's so dirt fuckin' cheap (pretty much the cheapest beer I can find in my area), I'll even buy it again! Pairs well with 100 degree weather, thrash metal, and fishing. (2.5)

2.58/5: Heineken? Fuck that shit. PABST! BLUE! RIBBON!

2.04/5  rDev -32%

355ml bottle from Beers of Europe (£1.69):
What can I say about this one? It was pretty much as expected and not at all good, the smell in particular being a poor one but it did manage to remain at least partially drinkable, just not all that enjoyable. The taste was fairly basic and I could imagine it appealing to your macro lager drinkers due to it's crisp, clean taste but it wasn't a good beer at all.

3.33/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Don't be a pretentious beer snob, guys. PBR is actually decent for a mainstream adjunct lager. It's very refreshing and smooth. Granted, PBR is thin, light-bodied, lacks flavor and aroma, but it's not as watered down or horrible as the other macro lagers (i.e. budlight -sorry).
It has a slightly funny scent of metal, faint hop profile, and grainy (corn-like) note to it.
I still give this more points for being cheap and largely available. Also, the taste is clean and crisp. I don't mind drinking this.

3.69/5  rDev +23%

PBR is by far my favorite beer with similar "lightness". I would buy PBR almost exclusively in college, because I believed (and still believe) that it was the best beer I could buy for the price. I could get a 12er for $7.99. Unfortunately PBR has seen an increase in demand, resulting in a higher price in my area. Now I think a 12er of Sam Adams or New Belgium is a better deal. PBR pours a nice golden yellow and is very refreshing. Always puts off those who like to rid beer of all of its taste. It is a little skunky but something about it tastes great. I recommend getting in cans, as the bottles seem to add some off-putting skunkiness.

4.75/5  rDev +58.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great adjunct lager. Lite body, crisp, refreshing. For an AAL it does have a little more character than similar brands, not complex, just a little more character. Very drinkable or a great session beer, also a good burger, pizza, tacos beer etc. Compare with other more expensive beers and you will be pleasantly surprised.

4.23/5  rDev +41%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

What? You need help painting your house? You have some cold PBR? Sure. Be glad to help. I still owe you one from that roof repair you helped me with last year.

It's work beer. Straightforward, best cold, right amount of carbonation, a little malt. This is what beer is supposed to be. The kind best shared with friends over sweat.

And it tastes pretty good too.

3.5/5  rDev +16.7%

As a Semi broke college kid this is the perfect beer for a night of heavy and excessive drinking, or when watching the game at a relaxed restaurant. Other than that this beer is just okay.

Pabst Blue Ribbon is the perfect beer for stumbling down the street while discreetly sipping from within a brown paper bag. PBR is the drink of choice for NYC hipsters and classy hobos alike.
I usually grab PBR when I only have a few dollars left to my name and I desperately need to forget my problems with a drunken stupor and horrific hangover.
It has a very mild taste with no distinguishable hops, and it goes down smoothly. It is best to drink PBR while laying in the darkest corner of a subway stop.

2.8/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Typical pilsner head, with a smallish head. A lot of carbonation rising fast. The head retains relatively well.

Straightforward smell. Hints of citrus. Generally speaking you mostly feel the malt, creating a bready flavor.

Light and drinkable. Subtle tones of malt, with a pleasant sweetness sneaking up in the aftertaste. As far as the feel is concerned, this is fairly typical for a macro light lager. Even though the heavy carbonation put me off, but it's no different from any of the other big beer-brands in that regard.

I never thought I would buy a 12-pack of PBR again, but then I saw an incredible deal for it at my local beer store, and just couldn't let it go. I'll have no problems finishing it, but can't see myself getting PBR again. But in all fairness, neither could I the last time I had it.

Personally, I found it weird when my friends said that they wanted to funnel beer into their butts, but as a huge Howard Stern fan, I thought "if Richard Christie can identify beer through his ass, how hard can It be?" So I de-pants, my boy Dave held my legs behind my head as I lay on my back, and my other buddy, handsome mike, did the pouring. Just a little sip at first, as I didn't want to get too giggly. All I can say is "Yum!", very good mouth-feel, light but full-bodied, and refreshing - also not sticky! I think that this is the only way to drink this American Classic. Happy drinking, friends!

2.5/5  rDev -16.7%

PBR was my first swill!

My dad would give me a "sip" from his stubby PBR bottle back in the 60's, and we had a Pabst brewery right in our town. (Whoo-hoo, when they were malting that barley, LOOK OUT. Stunk to high-heaven and there was nowhere to hide.)

Fast forward to 2014 and PBR has enjoyed a revival of sorts with the "hippster" crowd who want a cheap beer that isn't your Bud/Miller/Coors offering. Sadly, it's really only a fraction of what it used to taste like, as it has the same flavor profile but much less strength. It's kind of a PBR "near beer."

It's not bad, but I can't really ever buy this these days - not with Yeungling sitting right next to it, (Are you crazy?) PBR has to take a down-market seat next to the Busch Ice and Milwaukee's Best. In it's day, it had a solid seat next to Hamms, Falstaff, and Schlitz. (At least it hasn't suffered the fate of those labels.)

3.57/5  rDev +19%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It excels at being both light and tasty, while remaining true to the very foundation of simplicity. Especially given the price, this beer works exceptionally well.

3/5  rDev 0%

The infinitely drinkable go to clear beer. Sweet nose. Smooth on the tongue. Decent body. Easy finish. Good for building beer wands at cons and fests.

2.75/5  rDev -8.3%

I've had many horrible beers in the past. PBR wouldn't rank in that category. It's not a great tasting beer, but it's lite and refreshing. This beer has it's purpose. Plus you can't beat the price.

2.44/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

"Heineken! F**k that sh*t! Pabst! Blue! Ribbon!"

Yeah, I sometimes like to drink the beer of Frank Booth. It's nice to see that it's gaining in popularity again. It's cheap. It's not good beer. In fact, it is really bad beer. But it's cheap. And there's a pop culture cult thing going on with it, hence the Blue Velvet reference. You get about halfway through the can and it starts to change. Suddenly it's not half bad! I really kinda like this stuff! And a friend nearby says, "That's because your taste buds are desensitized. Keep drinking, buddy."

And I do.

Pabst is often knocked for being a cheap beer only suitable for college Keg parties or cheap rounds at the bar. That said, it is, in my opinion, the best of any major domestic lagers. Definite hint of hoppiness, a little sweet with out any overpowering flavors. Smooth with a strong finish. By far my favorite domestic beer

Not bad at all for what it is. Seems like low scores are because they think this is a kobe fillet and its really top ramen. When rated as it is a 5-7 dollar 12 pack type of beer it has decent flovor aroma if kinda off putting but whos sniffing there pbr anyway.

2.73/5  rDev -9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I broke down and after more years than I care to recall picked up a 12 pack of cans for nostalgia reasons. I poured it ice cold into an hour glass type glass

The beer has a very light straw color with a surprisingly good amount of head retention. The smell was very neutral with just a hint of grains. The taste was also quite neutral with some grains and just a hint of floral hops. The mouthfeel was good and the finish crisp and quite refreshing after a round of golf. It goes down good.

Overall I was generally impressed with the beer and it will probably see my garage refrigerator again, especially if I can pick it up at a good price.

Musty barley odor. Clear yellow with 1 inch head, dissipates moderately. Corn, barely and hint of sweetness. Would not buy again. Stereotypical comment: you get what you pay for.

2.75/5  rDev -8.3%

The beer comes in a light crystal clear golden color.

There is not much of an aroma, which is good to avoid offensive adjunct lager qualities. Sweet grain, corn, and musty hops.

The flavor is sweet corn, grainy cereal malt. The beer has a decent bready malt backbone that makes it arguably more significant of a brew than Bud, Miller, Coors.

If you are a poor alcoholic then this is the beer for you. Between the affordable price, the decent alcohol content and the lack of flavor you can drink a lot of these with relative ease.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company