Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,619 | Hads: 5,133
2.3/5  rDev -23.6%

Just a run-of-the-mill lager brew that is a good filler/cleanser between craft brews. Give it a 4 on feel... purely because of the cost/quality affect of having fun with beer. Nothing overpowering in this beer... but clean. Love that it comes in pint cans to wet the whistle after a long day in the yard, at the lake, or coming off the slopes.

look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The smell and the taste was good at first, much better than BMC, really malty and has some fruity and hoppy sense to it, but after leaving it for a few minutes, it just tasted horrible.

Serving: on tap at a St. Patrick Day. Probably need to try it again.

2.74/5  rDev -9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Mild malt aroma and taste. A bit better than a typical macro lager. Not a beer worth over analyzing. Enjoy it for what it is, cheap and drinkable almost anytime.

2.61/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Purchased at the LCBO for around $2.00 for a 473ml can. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass.

A- Opens well and pours a small white head that is gone in seconds. Very light gold and clear

S- Not much here at all.

T- Unobtrusive which is nice. Not a lot of flavor. Just a mass produced pedestrian North American beer. Just like a Bud

M- Dry and crisp which is nice. Refreshing and can see this one being a treat on a hot summer day after cutting the grass

O- Just a Bud with a different label. Nothing special

Food Pairing

Yup! You guessed it. Pairs with.... anything you would pair a Bud with

2.03/5  rDev -32.6%

Pretty much the only time you're going to "enjoy" one of these is at the end of the night when you've already had too much to drink. I read somewhere that every time a PBR is drank, a hipster gets his vintage bicycle.

3.43/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Why have I waited so long to review this gem? I know it's one of the biggest love-hate beers around, and I happen to be a lover. The only macro I purchased regularly in college...a 30-pack a week while buying groceries in Arizona. Easy to drink and consistent. Personally, I think it's best from a can rather than draft and bottle.

2.96/5  rDev -1.7%

Once upon a time, I was totally okay quaffing these down like water at parties. Now I am older and oh so slightly wiser (i.e. employed), so I recognize this as, well, shit. That said, I can't help but find this beer comforting in the right scenario, even if those scenarios are limited to getting this for free or being the cheapest not-Budweiser beer available at the concert venue. It may be decidedly low-tier, but there's no doubt there's a function for it somewhere in your life.

4.2/5  rDev +39.5%

The gold standard of its class...it is just a good all around adjunct. There is a reason the neo-hipster types have clung to this...well they've moved on by now I'm sure, but that's just this generation's peripatetic and fickle nature...PBR will stand the test of time...an ice- cold bottle of this stuff is sublime at the right moments...

3.53/5  rDev +17.3%

Wish it was more available in the UK as the price over here is not representative of the quality and i would like to try it on draught. Have tried both can and bottle versions and they are like regular lagers but with an extra sweetness. Can also distinctively taste corn or maize syrup. My girlfriend doesnt like beer but likes this one.

2.5/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Like many others I used to drink this a lot when I was younger. I decided to try this again to see if I still liked it. I didn't. Watery with a bad aftertaste. Not the worst cheap beer out there, I will finish the six pack eventually.

2.92/5  rDev -3%

24 oz tall can, served at a Sports Pub for $3 !
Crystal clear, light yellow color with a short white head. Foam fades to a floating film, straggly lace lines.
Smells of sweetness from corn, or other sugar, and slight cooked vegetable.
Taste is of corn and other grains, sweetness is the dominant component.
This beer has a high level of carbonation, crisp and clean. No metallic or sourness as in some AALs .
Overall, this is a pretty good beer, accept it for what it is.

3.84/5  rDev +27.6%

The only adjunct I'll buy. Just glad the Russians didn't get their hands on this brew. I feel it's our duty as BA'ers to promote this to the younger/cheaper set so that they avoid lining the pockets of BMC. You see a college kid with a bud lite, dope slap him and give him a PBR. It's American dammit!

2.82/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Sweeter and perhaps more flavourful than other AAL's; that can be good or bad. Sometimes I want something more watery, just to chug back, like Busch or something. Either way, I'll play the hipster game when I want to.

1.32/5  rDev -56.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

If it's 110 degrees and your at the lake and you wanna be able to drink beer all day, then grab this. I really can't see any other time where it would be a good idea.

2.26/5  rDev -24.9%

Pabst is by far the most overhyped macro beer in the north america. It looks the same as almost all other macros but the smell of grain is really strong and the taste is very bitter unless served ice cold. I still take regular bud any day

4.1/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I know this is a cheap beer and for many years, it was not even available around my parts of the woods. Well guess what folks, it's back. I love this beer. I don't know why, I just do. And, since posting on FB pages, I've noticed that some of my friends that I grew up with in High School love it too. Doesn't matter if it comes from a can or a bottle. Still taste good. I want to try this on tap some day.

2.58/5  rDev -14.3%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear straw color with lots of carbonation. The head is a finger high with a white shade. Retention isn't nearly as godawful as its BMC brethren, though the head leaves behind no lacing on the glass. (3)

Smell: Smells like a crappy macro, to be honest. Corn, cereal grains, and a bit of diacetyl consists the worst of the notes here; I'm not really getting much cotton candy or cooked veggies. There are actually a kiss of noble hops - can't hate on that. Sure, it doesn't smell particularly good, but it does smell drinkable. (2.5)

Taste: It opens up with some cereal grain, giving way to some vanilla cream and apple-esque sweetness. It can't really stand up to a properly good craft beer, but this one has its place. (2.5)

Mouthfeel: Much crisper and lighter-feeling than something like Bud Lite or Miller Light, with the carbonation falling just short of being annoying. A bit sweet, but endlessly drinkable. (3)

Overall: I could drink this again. I could drink a FEW of these again. And because it's so dirt fuckin' cheap (pretty much the cheapest beer I can find in my area), I'll even buy it again! Pairs well with 100 degree weather, thrash metal, and fishing. (2.5)

2.58/5: Heineken? Fuck that shit. PABST! BLUE! RIBBON!

2.04/5  rDev -32.2%

355ml bottle from Beers of Europe (£1.69):
What can I say about this one? It was pretty much as expected and not at all good, the smell in particular being a poor one but it did manage to remain at least partially drinkable, just not all that enjoyable. The taste was fairly basic and I could imagine it appealing to your macro lager drinkers due to it's crisp, clean taste but it wasn't a good beer at all.

3.33/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Don't be a pretentious beer snob, guys. PBR is actually decent for a mainstream adjunct lager. It's very refreshing and smooth. Granted, PBR is thin, light-bodied, lacks flavor and aroma, but it's not as watered down or horrible as the other macro lagers (i.e. budlight -sorry).
It has a slightly funny scent of metal, faint hop profile, and grainy (corn-like) note to it.
I still give this more points for being cheap and largely available. Also, the taste is clean and crisp. I don't mind drinking this.

3.69/5  rDev +22.6%

PBR is by far my favorite beer with similar "lightness". I would buy PBR almost exclusively in college, because I believed (and still believe) that it was the best beer I could buy for the price. I could get a 12er for $7.99. Unfortunately PBR has seen an increase in demand, resulting in a higher price in my area. Now I think a 12er of Sam Adams or New Belgium is a better deal. PBR pours a nice golden yellow and is very refreshing. Always puts off those who like to rid beer of all of its taste. It is a little skunky but something about it tastes great. I recommend getting in cans, as the bottles seem to add some off-putting skunkiness.

4.75/5  rDev +57.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great adjunct lager. Lite body, crisp, refreshing. For an AAL it does have a little more character than similar brands, not complex, just a little more character. Very drinkable or a great session beer, also a good burger, pizza, tacos beer etc. Compare with other more expensive beers and you will be pleasantly surprised.

4.23/5  rDev +40.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

What? You need help painting your house? You have some cold PBR? Sure. Be glad to help. I still owe you one from that roof repair you helped me with last year.

It's work beer. Straightforward, best cold, right amount of carbonation, a little malt. This is what beer is supposed to be. The kind best shared with friends over sweat.

And it tastes pretty good too.

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

As a Semi broke college kid this is the perfect beer for a night of heavy and excessive drinking, or when watching the game at a relaxed restaurant. Other than that this beer is just okay.

Pabst Blue Ribbon is the perfect beer for stumbling down the street while discreetly sipping from within a brown paper bag. PBR is the drink of choice for NYC hipsters and classy hobos alike.
I usually grab PBR when I only have a few dollars left to my name and I desperately need to forget my problems with a drunken stupor and horrific hangover.
It has a very mild taste with no distinguishable hops, and it goes down smoothly. It is best to drink PBR while laying in the darkest corner of a subway stop.

2.8/5  rDev -7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Typical pilsner head, with a smallish head. A lot of carbonation rising fast. The head retains relatively well.

Straightforward smell. Hints of citrus. Generally speaking you mostly feel the malt, creating a bready flavor.

Light and drinkable. Subtle tones of malt, with a pleasant sweetness sneaking up in the aftertaste. As far as the feel is concerned, this is fairly typical for a macro light lager. Even though the heavy carbonation put me off, but it's no different from any of the other big beer-brands in that regard.

I never thought I would buy a 12-pack of PBR again, but then I saw an incredible deal for it at my local beer store, and just couldn't let it go. I'll have no problems finishing it, but can't see myself getting PBR again. But in all fairness, neither could I the last time I had it.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company