Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,588 | Hads: 5,015
3.83/5  rDev +24.4%

Appearence is a beautiful straw with a slight orange hew. Smell is clean, a little sweet with fresh corn. Taste is very clean. A slight straw and corn flavor. A little sweet at first but the hops give it a clean, crisp finish. The carbonation is almost perfect for this style. Drinkability is great, you can drink this beer all day especially when its hot.

A very refreshing and good American lager. And the fact you can find a tall 6pack for $4 is awesome. A good everday or session beer. A little cleaner in the bottle than in a can, and even cleaner on tap. (561 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +24.7%

Overall I thought Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) was an OK beer. The taste wasn't as good as I expected, but it was still not a terrible beer. The appearance of the beer was nice, but the smell was not that good. If I was offered this beer sometime in the future again I would have one, but I would not buy it. (303 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +24.7%

The only adjunct I'll buy. Just glad the Russians didn't get their hands on this brew. I feel it's our duty as BA'ers to promote this to the younger/cheaper set so that they avoid lining the pockets of BMC. You see a college kid with a bud lite, dope slap him and give him a PBR. It's American dammit! (301 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +24.7%

I kinda stopped posting my reviews since I hit the 100 mark; I mostly keep them in my little notebook at home. But I figured I start putting them up because of my experience with PBR. For what it's worth and the style it is in, this is one excellent beverage!

A - Poured a straw yellow with a nice frothy head. The head fizzed pretty quick and the was no lacing to speak of.

S - Malty biscuit followed by a corn husks. Pretty average for the style.

T - Very crisp and very clean. As my palate adjusted the hops were nicely hinted in the back of a toasted grain finish.

M - Fresh and light. First couple of sips took some adjusting but after that it was very smooth and refreshing.

D - I was in my sunroom on a hot summer night (72 degrees) and boy did this 16oz pour go down nice. I was afraid to let it get warm, but for these instances, that's not a hard task. Overall I recommend this as a good cheap summer session! (924 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +25%

Heard mixed things about this, had to try it myself.

Pours a clear, golden yellow with about a finger of white bubbly head.

Smells of grain, water, light hop.

Taste is very crisp and clean, tiny bit of sweetness with a very mild hop and water finish.

Mouthfeel is superb. Very clean and fresh, the beer feels good in your mouth, especially so when chilled. Very light bodied and smooth.

Drinkability here is also very good. I've bought several 6'ers of this since, and I'll continue to use this as a go to for those situations where I just want a cold one without having to think about it. Don't write this off as your old mans swill, this is alot better than most will ever give it credit for. (699 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +25%

I love PBR. For some reason it's between this and Budweiser when I search for a cheap beer, and this one always comes out on top. It's cheap, tastes pretty good, is all American... what's not to love about it?

A: Straw yellow. Nothing special. Pours a slightly larger head than Budweiser.

S: I get a lot of rice out of this beer, so I'll say it smells ricey!

T: Pretty damn good. Actually feels like I'm drinking a beer and has the potential to really hit the spot. Now, when I say pretty damn good, I'm not comparing this brew to any craft beers, but as far as the cheap ones go, this one is near the top.

M: Highly drinkable. Moderate to high carbonation.

O: A great, cheap, all American beer. (700 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +25%

Clear, pale gold color. Lots of bubble rising. Bright white head that dissipates.

Aroma is most grainy and corn with some grassy hops.

Light bodied, moderate carbonation and very smooth. Some grainy, some corn, just a kiss of grassy hops. Semi-dry finish.

One of the better Adjunct Lager; beats Bud, Miller and Coors. (320 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +25%

Pours into my Pabst Blue Ribbon Chalice a brilliant yellow color with a light coat of head that falls to almost coat the beer. The nose is light, slight grain and a very faint noble hop. Some light honey sweetness. Pretty standard. The flavor is actually nice. The honey-touched sweetness stands out to me first. The graineyness and light hop are mellowed out by the (corn I think) sweetness. A very nice flavor for the style. The feel is even a good solid moderate with a moderate carbonation. I let a little time go by before I sat down to this beer again with intentions of rating. It still comes through as a solid and drinkable beer. Had one off tap a few months back and it really quenched after a big meal of Mexican food. (729 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +25%

When making judgments regarding PBR, it all comes down to comparison group. As a cheap, American-style lager the most direct comparisons are to Budweiser, Miller, and Coors, and PBR is a clear choice over the numerous variations of these big 3. When drinking this beer, one can actually taste a hint of hops, something that is lacking in the more watery big 3 beers. Although not a fine beer by any means, it is a good, simple beer to enjoy at parties or on a hot summer day. (475 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +25%

I love this beer. This is my hands down cheap beer pong beer. It's not the high quality but the consistency .

a - very crisp and clear with millions of bubbles.

s - Smells sweet with lots of malt hints.

T - Definitely this is sweeter and more enjoyable than the other big 3.

M - Light and easy to drink,

D - I love this beer. This is my party beer of them all. Almost 5 % and only 11.00 a 30 pack. (402 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +25%

I like this a little better than Schlitz, because it's easier to find and its about $2.50 cheaper, and taste a little better.

Color-Nice golden yellow
Smell-VERY clean sweet beer smell
Taste- nice balance of Bitter to sweet, very smooth

Overall- My 12 pack of bottles was $7.49 at Kroger, it was NOT past the date on the bottle, (Something that is COMMON for pabst products in my area). I really Enjoyed this American Classic. (429 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pint on tap at West-Port Bowling Lanes in Westbrook, Maine.

Appearance: Pours a clear, bright, golden straw color with a thick white head that sticks around a while. Some observable lacing down the inside of the glass. Looks crisp and clean.

Smell: There isn't much in the nose, but there's also nothing bad. It definitely doesn't have that corny, junky smell a lot of domestic lagers are infamous for. Smells mostly of barley.

Taste: Tastes like what most big domestic lagers claim to taste like. Clean, crisp, and easy, with some light hop bitterness and a solid malt backbone. The adjuncts are nowhere near as pronounced as they are in most lagers in this price range. It's pretty much the perfect budget American lager.

Mouthfeel: It's watery, but shouldn't it be?

Overall: PBR takes a beating because it's the official beer of annoying people, and a lot of folks treat it like it's the beginning and end of beer. But it's perfect for what it is: cheap, all-purpose American lager. You're not drinking this because you want to agonize over its hop profile; you're drinking this because you're in a bowling alley and it's $2.25 a pint on draft and that's a square deal. (1,177 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +25.6%

16oz can into large pint glass.

Crystal clear straw hue with a thin one finger white head that quickly settles to a thin cap with a thin rim along the glass.

Grainy, slightly toasty aroma. Not much hoppiness.

Biscuity grains, slightly sweet, the bitterness is almost non-existent. Light bodied and tons of fizzy carbonation. Very clean finish.

Not a bad beer for a cookout with friends and a grill. Great summer beer. Does it's job as a refreshing beverage. I would take a Narragansett over it any time though while in the New England area. (545 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +25.6%

This is a classic macro that has enjoyed quite a resurgence in the market at least in the southeast. While in college the only place one could find PBR was at either sketchy roadhouses or frat houses when money was low. Now it's at practically every beer bar out there. Pabst, among others, has really stepped up their marketing, and many classic macros have a much larger presence now (e.g. Miller High Life and even Schlitz). PBR is beer that brings back nostalgia as I drank it regularly in college. It has more flavor and body than most macros and is very easy drinking. I just enjoyed 3 of them for $2 each @ Gene's Haufbrau in Charleston S.C. When money's low PBR is always a decent alternative. FYI it was Pabst who originally invented the 6 pack. (754 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +25.6%

A - little head, with no lacing, but still a good looking beer. Good light golden lager color. Steady carbonation.

S - Smell is pretty average of an american lager. Decent balace of cereal grains and malts. Some faint hops smell. I gave it a little above average, a 3.5, because it is pretty balanced.

T - Good taste, nothing really offensive here. Similar to the smell, a good balance of malts and grains. The sweetness of the corn comes through some. Finishes with a light taste of hops. Some aftertaste, but doesn't last long and is not offensive. Nothing to write home over, but better than many of the more popular beers out there that don't get the bad reputation this beer does.

M - A great mouthfeel. Although the beer looks very carbonated, it does not come off feeling overly carbonated on the tongue. Feels balanced, not watery or syrupy.

D - Good drinkability. a good beer to get a pitcher of at the bar, and almost always the cheapest option as well. Usually the same price as Busch Light, and FAR better!

This is a great beer if you want something that taste like beer but your on a budget. Good anywhere, at the bar, a game, or just relaxing at the house. (1,177 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +25.6%

Pbr one of the all time grand daddies of American pilsners or lagers . While I am not a fan of them , from time to time I have one . If you take into consideration what it is , its really not bad at all and honestly , you really can't beat the price . This is actually one of the American domestics that is not over carbonated , borderline flat , bland , and doesn't have an off or chemical taste to it .
It has a nice golden straw color , and a crisp clean pilsner type smell . Nothing pops out but honestly nothing is meant to .
It actually has really good head retention and will lace nicely in a glass , surprising considering this is something some more prestigious breweries have yet to figure out . It has decent mouth feel though very little malt or hops shines through .

If you are looking for a decent tasting enjoyable domestic it might fit your bill and its not bad stuff despite whatever anyone else might think , at least in my book !

Overall I really don't mind a pbr at all , especially and ice cold one on a hot Arizona summer afternoon . (1,062 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +25.6%

Light to medium yellow, darker than most, but not the deepest color I've seen in the style. Expected barely- there head with a few clusters of accidental lacing.

Aroma is actually realy well balanced. The sweet corn note is there, but it's leveled with a surprisingly nice amount of hop.

Again, pretty good balance though the corn sweetness wins out at the end of the sip. No noticeable bitterness but you can tell it's in there because of the balance the taste has.

A little less carbonated than some, but still in the average range. Not as drying as some, but still in the average range.

Pretty tasty for what it is. I would certainly pick this over others if macros were my only option. (693 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +26%

I can afford 'better' beer, but why spend more? This beer is good. Not 'sort of good', it's GOOD. Recently merged with a much bigger megabrewer, advertising costs are down, better costs available and those savings are passed along to me. On the downside, I remember it tasting better when I was young and GOOD looking. Oh well, everything did.
While PBR arguably tastes better in long neck bottles or on tap, I'm reviewing the 12 oz cans here because that's what I keep around la casa most of the time. If you stop by here looking thirsty, a cold PBR is what I'm likely to hand you.

Appearance = light golden color with a medium to large foamy head that dissipates quickly. Medium carbonation.

Aroma = light. Not much to it, what there is = fruity and sweet, I don't get much hops nose here.

Taste = sweet, malt balanced pretty well with the hops. Big flavor for an inexpensive American lager, filling, a 'chewy' mouthfeel, semi-creamy. Sweet = my main impression, with some hoppy bitterness on the short finish. (1,025 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +26%

Very good cheap beer for consuming in Yellowstone where I work currently. Enjoy the can because it's 1.29 for a pint, the appearance was great when we were served it in beer school at UCF so it's got a good head that pours slightly better than budweiser. The smell isn't the greatest but is just above average. Mouth feel is above average and not over-bearing. Overall this is a great beer as a warm up for a great night out or for just chilling at home and watching TV. (470 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +26%

Came out looking flat; I'd been drinking out of the can (24oz man-can) before I decided to review, so that could be why. It smells like most macro-brews. A little corny. That nauseating hint of sweetness is absent in the nose. Light straw color, crystal clear. Very drinkable and I'm not being sarcastic. Much better than my beast that I drink. There's a grainy bitterness but very light. No hint of sweetness, which I really despise in American lite lagers. (458 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +26%

Good ole' Pabst Blue Ribbon. One of my favorite after work, sit on the couch and zone out brews. Yea, yea, I know there's much better choices out there, but this is the beer I remember my Dad and Grandad drinking when I was kid.

Poured out of a 12oz can into a pint glass.

Color is pale yellow, with about two fingers of head that quickly disappears.

Smell is that of a typical macro, kinda hay like.

The taste is almost sweet at first, but then finishes off smooth and crisp, with very clean aftertaste. It doesn't have that metallic aftertaste like some other macros I've had. Certainly better than BMC.

A very sessionable beer. PBR always has a spot in my fridge when I want to keep it simple. (702 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +26%

Yup, I'm broke but wanted to review beers tonight. Obtained from the discount bin of Liquor Mart (Boulder). Pours a finger and a half fizzy white head that quickly settled. The liquid is light straw-orange with a couple streamed of bubbles feeding the half-layer of head left on the beer. Smells dark hops, wet cardboard and fresh dark mushrooms. Malt sweet is way beneath, as is a little bit of sting, which I think is from carbonation release. Tastes sweet to start with a noticable hop oil on the tongue. The aftertastes sees a burst of hop floral in the back of the mouth. Yes, I do not exaggerate, 'burst'. Some grain in the malt character early, but this vanishes upon the swallow to leave and empty space in the flavor. Despite this, this beer is actually tasty. A bit more carbonated than I'd like, so I will swirl to release some of the CO2. The smell is now more of a wet hay than cardboard & mushroom. With the carbonation decreased, the beer is quite a bit more flavorful. I just don't understand why macro lagers are so overcarbonated that they make carb sting a main component of the flavor profile. The hops are still quite noticable, perhaps a touch stronger than the weak malt dictates. Md thin body. Drinkable, yeah, very nice. Judged to style, not to my flavor preferences. (1,292 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +26%

PBR is a staple in my beer fridge. Yes a staple. I've got lots do micro's and high dollar Belgians. Not to mention I brew my own. This beer to meis what all the macros want to be.

Clean with a sweet hint of adjuncts with a nice crisp malt-hop balance. A nice session beer for everyone. (287 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Ok. This is not a top shelf beer. This stuff is cheap, corn-heavy adjunct lager. That being said, it's dang tasty when it's hot out, has a little more ABV than your run of the mill 3.2, and I love that when I bust one out, very few people swarm around to get their hands on one, making it an even better value! Pale yellow in color, It's got enough malty body to separate it from the miller/coors/bud barley pop, while still being easy to drink in quantity. No real discernible hoppiness, especially compared to my standard IPA/DIPA fare. Refreshing, but not a light beer. Taken for what it is, I believe it to be a great beer, when limited to class-comparison. I'm drinking one right now, as it's 85, sunny, and I'm grilling. Boom. (732 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +26.3%

Poured from a can into a clear plastic cup

A - Pours like any bright lager to a clear bright yellow color. Nothing special here

S - Sweet corn and rice smell. It doesn't have great floral hoppy or malty aroma but I cant expect much

T - Tastes like sweet corn and rice. It actually tastes pretty good unlike most of the adjunct beers out there. The hops are actually present here. The malty flavor tastes similar to a real pilsner. Has a taste that makes you happy

M - Pretty light on the mouthfeel. Recommended putting in a glass or cup

D - Very drinkable. This beer is like a potato chip. Once you pop the top you cant stop (629 characters)

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company