Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,620 | Hads: 5,135
3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

a long anticipated review. poured from can into pint.

typical american macro imo except that it excels in taste and drinkability . and for the price, i think i found a new beer to keep my fridge stocked with other than yuengling lager which is slightly heavier. pbr seems to be a love it or hate it beer overall but id have to say i love it. decent american adjunct but ALOT cheaper and tastier. i was pleasently surprised.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

Finally able to get this in bottles here in Central Texas (although they are no picnic to find). Poured a 12 ounce bottle w/a date marked "10208" on the side of the bottle.

A: Nice golden color, much darker than one would expect from a macro lager. Actually pours with a decent head, which sticks around just a bit longer than your average macro that you actually bother pouring.

S: PBR has a very distinctive, somewhat strong nose, in that the malty corn flavors are very present, but with a nice fresh one, you can especially smell the hop bite that will soon greet the palate.

T&M: Very similar to PBR out of a can, but this particular six pack of bottles I have seems to have a much drier finish than PBR normally has. Bitterness is still there, but a smooth dryness (at least of this six pack), distinguishes bottles from cans. The full mouthfeel (for a macro lager) is definitely present, with a nice carbonation that contributes to the refreshing feel of this beer.

Drinkability & Notes: So, the big question, is this worth going somewhat out of my way to buy PBR in bottles vs. just going to the close by grocer and getting a 12 pack in cans? In my opinion, no, it isn't. From my experience, the real key to PBR tasting its best is freshness, which due to distribution here in Texas, is generally out of cans. That said, the bottled version is excellent as well. I honestly believe that some people (including myself at times), are hung up on that a good beer can't beer served out of a can. Well, this has been proven wrong, and maybe PBR does taste a bit better out of a can.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

I haven't had one of these since before I really drank beer. I remembered at the time that it was the first beer I'd tasted that actually seemed sort of sweet. I could imagine myself drinking it to the point of intoxication.

Flash forward to last night when I ordered one PBR from the tap. I had been looking to try it again, but wasn't willing to commit to a 30 pack.

Pours as unremarkable cheap "piss beer." Not impressive whatsoever, but it pulls ahead of the others in the taste.

I think this is the only mass adjunct-type beer that actually puts corn to good use. It's not merely a filler, but a major constituent of the flavor. It's like a touch of sweet grits in the mouth, and it finishes clean with unobjectionable hops and ample carbonation.

Maybe it's not even beer--maybe it's a sort of alcoholic corn soda. But whatever you call it, I will certainly have another.

Sampled on 6-13-07

A nicely decorated can, with the trusty blue ribbon featured prominently.

Smell is not too bad, actually. Kind of like a German pilsner, though very light.

Taste is quite good, considering. Nice malt backbone with a surprising hop balance. No super-corny macro lager at all.

Mouthfeel is good, exactly what you'd expect.

Drinkability is fantastic, this is the stuff college is made of.

Overall, one of the best, if not THE best cheap beer you can buy. Amazingly balanced, it's a very good choice. People will still give you shit, though.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

I tend to drink this straight out of the can, so I couldn't tell you what it pours like -- but the can is nice looking.

The taste is inoffensive, mild, with a nice maltiness and no hops that I can discern. It is by no means an exceptional, or interesting, beer. Unless you take a really large gulp, the taste fades before it even hits your tongue. If you do take a large gulp, it has a pleasant flavor that still fades quickly.

But it is incredibly drinkable -- smooth, clean, and refreshing on a hot summer's day. A can goes down like water -- which isn't the most ringing endorsement a beer has ever had, but it is what it is. As cheap beer goes, this really isn't bad.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

Comes in a "man can" (24oz can) You cant beat that. Much better than its macro lager brethren, and surprisingly drinkable, it compares very favorably with its hoppy flavor and a smooth finish. Ultimately a very average beer, but my go-to when stuck in a bar with a small offering.

Best from a tap, but more fun to drink out of an outrageously large can, see if you can finish it before it gets warm.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

Okay, clearly nothing special here, but at $56 for a 1/2 barrel, it's currently filling my kegarator as the go-to beer when we want to save the good stuff. Here's the run down: Best friend, co-workers, girlfriend, and even my mother will gladly hit the tap for this stuff, so it has proved its worth at least in some form. I'm tired of giving my dough to the big 3 for a "family friendly" beer!!!

Last two 1/2 barrel kegs were okay but not "family" hits like the PBR....
(Keg 1: Founder's Cerise - fruity beer wasn't for everybody) and (Keg 2: Bud Slight - extra skunky but easily emptied)

Honestly, it's kind of like we returned to the 60's or 70's and retraced our family roots. Pabst has returned in a family friendly way for our family. Being within driving distance of 3 Floyds, Goose Island, Flossmoor, Half Acre, Lakefront, Capital, Tyranena, Leinie's, Two Brothers, New Holland, and Bell's has it's advantages...but those kegs end up being for me and not a share-able experience.

So sometimes, the family needs something basic. And Pabst does the job. So, a night of cards, board games, a backyard fire, and Pabst works out. Even for the beer snob in the family.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

My go-to lager. I don't care what anyone says but this is the best of the style and I never get sick of it. After drinking this for a while, going back to other macro lagers is about impossible.

Appearance is clear gold with a quick fizzy white head. Doesn't stand out against any other lager, but it is good enough for me to want to drink it.

Smell is not spectacular. Same grainy smell as any other of the style. It smells like beer but not as strong as the "others"

Taste is very inoffensive. It has that light crisp taste that fits with the style, but surprisingly more clean than its competitors. There is only a light adjunct flavor here. This tastes good, without considering the price...but when that factors in you must be crazy to have any other preference.

Carbonation is on the heavy side, but its not too bad. It is perfect to go along with the flavors but doesn't contribute to a great mouthfeel. Oh well, thats a sacrifice thats ok with me. Drinkability is incredible. This is my choice
"party beer" for that reason. Taking big sips of this is great, and sessioning this all night is great.

This beer might not be my favorite as a beer and compared to crafts, but its the perfect beer for the most occasions. Chases most food really well, good party beer, and something to drink while watching sports/TV/movies. I'm also broke right now so this is always in my fridge.

Had on tap at The Stockyard in Brighton, MA
Served in a pint glass

A: This beer pours a translucent light, straw, yellow with a 1/4 inch of white head. Head disappears instantly leaving no lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is grainy, corn, and some grassy hop notes.

T: Taste is somewhat typical adjuncts but bolder bodied. Thick grain and corn notes, hints of pale malts, and the finish has a nice grassy, earthy hops to it. It's not strong, but it gives this beer more flavor than your typical macro's.

M: Light body, moderate to high carbonation, clean, crisp body.

D: Goes down very easy, not much of a give, not filling, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this beer. This one is that you can put a few back easily.

Where do I start...

Appearance: It's straw-colored, but in a different way than other macro cheapos...nicer, more refined looking. Little head that disappears quickly.

Smell: Hoppy. Cereal and grains a bit as well.

Taste: This is the hops master of light, cheap beer. Granted, that isn't saying much, but man, do I enjoy this beer more than any other cheap blonde swill. I can't say what it is really... a certain intangible... that makes this beer just more enjoyable than your usual domestic piss. Great hoppy, semi-dry aftertaste for blonde piss as well. ;)

Mouthfeel: Perfect carbonation, and not too watery.

Overall: As a reader of this review will no doubt have noticed, I have an affinity to this beer. When I found it in college, it was all "Wow... there's a cheap alternative to BMC mainstream that actually tastes alright? Sign me up!" Cans are good, but in a bottle, it shines a bit more. If you haven't had it, you live under a rock.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

im just sayin- if i gotta go regular american beer i go pabst. i mean it won a blue ribbon forcryin out loud. this stuff is about the same price as pepsi. as far as i am concerned its about the best beer for the money out there. it has more flavor than bud and is 1/2 the price. even at my locaql bar bud light=$2.75 pbr=$1.50. thats a no brainer.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

16oz can poured into a nonic. this is my go to beer when for some reason craft isnt accessible. ill try to focus on this beer vs the rest of the beers for the style, and less on this for the rest of the beers in the world.

A- a bright golden yellow color with an almost non existent head. small spots of lacing left on the sides of the glass. small bubbles of carbonation can be seen rushing to the top of the nonic.

S- sweet grainy/bready malts, and something metallic that is found within so many adjunct lagers. little to nothing to do with hops, but then again those scare major production leaders.

T- light sweet grainy malts. hops are nowhere to be found. slightly metallic after taste.

M- light and fizzy. almost watery.

D- its hard to review this. its my go to"macro" beer, but at the same time it doesnt really have anything that im looking for in a beer. for the style its one of the best ones as far as im concerned. but in the grand scope of all that is beer, its weak as best. take this with a grain of salt. im sure noone on here is looking for insight when it comes time to choose the "best" 30 can beer. however, i find this the easiest to consume of all of its peers.

3.81/5  rDev +26.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass. I've been enjoying this stuff a lot out of the can lately, so I decided to give the bottle a try.

A - Pale and clear, decent 2 finger head with short retention. A little bit of lace however.

S - This brew still stinks in my opinion. The DMS is very prominent, along with old socks and rubber.

T - The brew starts off with a mild sweetness and then begins to dry out with cereal grain flavor. A touch of bitterness comes in late palate, with a faint lemon/earthy flavor from the hops. Finishes clean.

M - Carbonation is high, but seems less artificial than BMC products. While a little thin, it's surprisingly not at all watery.

D - It doesn't get much better than this when it comes to macros. It's not a particularly engaging beer, but it's a solid, simple brew proving that a macro lager can also be a great beer.

3.81/5  rDev +26.6%

A: light yellow. Two fingers of white and loose head that stick around for awhile and then dissipate to a thick sheet of the same. Surprisingly, lots of lacing, nearly sheeting.

S: Corn, lemon, grain, alcohol. Simple, but unoffensive.

T: Corn again, light and grainy alcohol flavor. A slight vegetal (broccoli?) flavor. Pretty standard PBR.

M: Medium body for the style. Medium to light carb for the style. Well played.

O: wow. I'm gonna get some shit for this. This is one of the more well crafted adjunct's I've had. I think I prefer this to others. Guess I will have to review them...

3.81/5  rDev +26.6%

I had this in both a bottle and a can, and I must say, I was very impressed, its appearance is very fine looking, like you would expect a beer to be, smells like beer, good amount of hops present, taste is very good, especially for the price you would imagine this to taste like water, but it really doesn't, Pabst uses alot of hops, and very exotic ones at that, not like its an exotic beer, its taste like beer, but it is rather quirky tasting, damn good though. and mouthfeel is nicely carbonated, overall I think this is a good beer, and a beer's beer at that, they use alot of good ingredients in making it and I think it runs circles around its more expensive rivals like Budweiser, or Corona. I also believe if you dont like this you probably dont like beer, Everyone needs to try this beer, at least once in there life's

3.82/5  rDev +26.9%

Ah PBR. What a rich history. And by history I mean I have seen more Pabst Blue Ribbon bar signs in garages than any other brew.

From the can there is not a lot I can tell about the appearance. The smell and the taste have something in commom: nutty. The taste is so rich and flavorful I could drink this stuff all day. Drinkability: drinkable. Mouthfeel: not thin but not thick.. Just right.

For the price can't be beat.

3.82/5  rDev +26.9%

This is my favorite adjunct lager. The cloyingly sweet grainy, corny taste of the most adjuncts is imperceptible in this one and I even taste the tiniest bit of hops on the finish.

Never mind that it is a "hipster beer", I'm too old to care about such things.

I did want to say that PBR seems to have some quality control issues. Every once in a while I get one that tastes of green apple. This is not normal. Most of the time I don't taste that at all.
I see some other reviewers mention that as well. If you taste green apple you got a bad batch.

3.82/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pils glass. Clear golden color with just the most minute sediment. The head is 1 finger in height, leaves some nice lacing, and has some good staying power.

S- Nice husky grains, a sweet malt component, and a slight hoppy note.

T- Starts with a very nice grainy sweetness then quickly recedes into a light finish that retains some residual sweetness.

M- Shockingly, I would like to see a touch more carbonation, but this is pretty good.

D- This is, in my opinion, one of the better macros. I will drink this again.

3.82/5  rDev +26.9%

Saw this one at a local convenience store and decided to give it a try. Cheap, simple beer but all in all its not bad. Beats Bud, Miller and Coors for sure and for a macro-style lager it doesn't get much better. Would definitely make a great thirst quencher on a hot summer day.

3.82/5  rDev +26.9%

This is one of those beers i notice people either love it or hate it. i personally love it. It goes great on a hot summer day and while im spending some alone time in my garage. It goes down very smooth and the price cant be beat. PBR always has a home in my fridge.

3.82/5  rDev +26.9%

Rarely pour PBR in a glass, but it was a light golden color like any other light beer, decent head that faded quickly. There's not a very strong scent that I've noticed to this beer, maybe a little...very little hoppy smell. Taste is ok. My favorite of the cheaper beers; and best tasting in my opinion. Nothing spectacular. Mouthfeel is crisp, refreshing, light and a bit of carbonation. Overall If given a case I could drink it all day, especially on a hot day. Good and cheap, can't complain!

3.83/5  rDev +27.2%

I honestly like this beer, as it seems to me as a classic American style lager, with a fairly crisp taste that takes me back to my days in college. Furthermore it is very refreshing as and is a good casual beer for a good price. It also had a light clean feel whilst drinking.

3.83/5  rDev +27.2%

40 oz into bicentennial Mason jar.

Frank Booth: What kind of beer do you like to drink, neighbor?
Jeffrey Beaumont: Heineken.
Frank Booth: Heineken? Fuck that shit! PABST BLUE RIBBON!!!

A: Golden golden with a four finger head on pour. Actually has some lacing going on and a bit of head retention in the middle of the thin sheen after dissipation.

S: Smells like Granny Smith apples mouldering under my Grandmama's apple tree.

T: Sweet grains and a bit of apple on the start. Can detect a ghost of a hop in there, and some flavorful malts.

M: On par for this type of brew.

D: Put a chair by the keg, Jeeves, it shall be a long night.

3.83/5  rDev +27.2%

Light and clean with just enough hop flavor to give it more character than the competition. Light on malt sweetness and when cold adjunct dms flavors are almost non-existent. Cult following is justified..Especially on a hot day. This is one of my favorite beers, and one of those that is as good out of the can as on tap. Enjoy.

3.83/5  rDev +27.2%

Appearence is a beautiful straw with a slight orange hew. Smell is clean, a little sweet with fresh corn. Taste is very clean. A slight straw and corn flavor. A little sweet at first but the hops give it a clean, crisp finish. The carbonation is almost perfect for this style. Drinkability is great, you can drink this beer all day especially when its hot.

A very refreshing and good American lager. And the fact you can find a tall 6pack for $4 is awesome. A good everday or session beer. A little cleaner in the bottle than in a can, and even cleaner on tap.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company