Join our email list →

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

good

Pabst Brewing Company
California, United States | website

American Adjunct Lager | 4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,638 | Hads: 5,205
3.76/5  rDev +24.9%

so, 647 reviews as of this writing. I'm having pints with a friend in lowell, ma. the brew pub is under renovations as a result of a change in ownership and has no "brewpub beer". My friend is drinking PBRs and I go with a local IPA. I decide what the heck, let's break with 19 years of tradition and see what this beer is all about. The bar sells kegs of this almost nightly due to a college being a block or two away.

So, looks great, corn aroma, clean light malts and corn across the taste buds. Decent. I am surprised and impressed.

I won't go wholesale into PBR but if I'm at this bar again there are worse choices to be made. Much better than the last bud product I had!

3.76/5  rDev +24.9%

I like to drink my beer from a glass whether it comes in a can or a bottle but there is something about a bottle of PBR with the red white and blue and the no BS nature of what is inside that is akin to a P51 Mustang or a Stratocaster or the Chrysler Building that I can roll with it. Anyone who gives this beer less than at least a B should have his or her citizenship revoked before being told to go F himself.

3.76/5  rDev +24.9%

bjcp lists a number of commercial examples for the classic american lager style 1b. pbr is one of them.

for me this is the perfect representation of the style

overall impression is stated as "thirst quenching" i could not put it better myself. i would describe it as "goes down like water" if i were asked

the "sting" that is suggested is not so present in this beer as other examples of this given style.

the one draw back is the corn note present in the finish. more prevalent than if i were to make the beer for myself.

3.77/5  rDev +25.2%

This is embarassing...I really enjoy this beer and will gladly buy it again.
Poured a slightly darker Macro yellow inthe glass with a nice one finger head that melted very quickly to a thin, thin outer ring lacing.
Aroma is lightly sweet malt and lightly hopped. (hops in a macro you can smell? Yep)
Taste is a surprise too...sweet malt...almost a MGD sweetness, but then followed with a genuine light hop bitterness or bite.
Finishes clean and crisp in the mouth with NOTHING unpleasant.
Just sort of makes you want to take another sip.
I was surprised....pleasantly
I feel guilty giving scores this high to an American Macro, but judging by style, I'm probably marking it low.

3.77/5  rDev +25.2%

12oz can poured into pint glass, no freshness date.

A:Pours a pee yellow as to be expected, very carbonated with a big bubbly white head the dissapears into a thin ring around the glass in a few seconds, looks like all the other macros out there so I gave it an average rating.

S:Skunk aroma up front but behind that is a nice bit of malt presence hidden behind cooked corn and grains, a bit better smelling than other macros out there, but still does not blow me away.

T/MF: Very carbonated up front with a taste that lingers on the tonge, do not finish as clean as other macros. The taste is also a bit more complex, the cooked corn flavors that define most macros are present here but paired with a nice bit of malt sweetness along with a faint hop nibble one the back end.

D: Very drinkable and better tasting IMHO than most other macros out there, also considerably cheaper (30 cans for 10.99 as opposed for 13.99 for 24 cans of Bud or Miller) always will be my first choice for cheap macros.

3.77/5  rDev +25.2%

DON'T DRINK THIS ON TAP!!! What are you nuts?!

Hated PBR and its kind for the longest time until finances subjected me to sinking lower on the beer chain. I still believe I spend a disproportionate amount of funny money on beer than food....

I have come to adore PBR (and its brethren: Golden Anniversary Ale, et al). When you let the damn can warm up (but not TOO much) you get the good tasty taste. C-c-c-cold - to hell with it - not all that different from Natty, Bud, Chud, or Fudd. But when it hits that golden temp, its hard to match.

I've come to adore choice crap pilsner in a can and Pabst Blue Ribbon does NOT disappoint. HEINEKEN?!!! F@#$ THAT S&*T!!! PABST - BLUE - RIBBON!!!

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is, hands down, the best of the american lagers. It pours a transparent yellow colour with a thick white head that quickly disipates. The taste is malty with a little graininess. I enjoy it very much. Don't let the cheap price make up your mind for you. You can't always judge a book by its cover. Pabst Blue Ribbon is the perfect beer to just kick back with.

3.78/5  rDev +25.6%

This beer brings me back to my childhood. Absolutely the best bang for your buck, light years ahead of other "budget" beers. Almost as good as Aventinus.

Not really, but still better than other beers at a similar price. When you don't have the money to drink "good" beer, at least PBR will always be there for you. Not much finish or aroma, but a crisp and refreshing taste.

3.79/5  rDev +25.9%

Consumed out of frosted pint at my local bar, at a dollar a pint you really can't go wrong if you lookin to get wasted on macro swills.Its a great crisp/clean American macro lager, not much else to say about it. I like to have one to cleanse the palate every now and then. The Original. You might be a Redneck if ?

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

If you try this beer in a side by side comparison with any other adjunct lager, you will definitely taste the superiority. Most adjunct lagers taste relatively the same but there is much more going on in a can of Pabst than just cheap beer. I honestly think this beer gets more snobbery from bud light "top shelf" buyers than it does from craft buyers, which says something. It shows that the cheap price is deceiving to price snobs who would be embarrassed to be seen consuming anything considered "cheap," regardless of taste and quality.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Clear, straw appearance with a foamy, white head. Nice carbonation. Aroma of corn husks with maybe a slight hint of malts. Faint whiff of citrus. The citrus is a little more prominent in the flavor. There is also some sweetness from the malts with the corn showing up on the finish. The mouthfeel is a bit watery, but substantial enough to let you know what you're drinking is something more than H2O. Clean finish. Overall, It's a classic. No frills. Just an enjoyable beer perfect for someone looking for a nice refreshment on a hot day.

16 oz can
Best by: May 11, 2015
Served in a Pint glass

Nice beer.
Has a good taste, drinks well very great price.

taste is sweet, grainy.

smell is soft.

drinks well!

Pabst Blue Ribbon, also known as "PBR", not bad for a gold beer. IT is smooth and worth the $. ZI now know why it has become a cult classic, and song made referencing it.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

This is a beer for nights of mass consumption or any other time that easy drinkability is desired. Typical American lager with crisp aftertaste allowing you to drink large quantities. Slightly better than others in this category because of clean flavor with grains blended well with hops.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

A I have no idea never seen it out side the can

S like cheap a** beer

T reminds me of the river on a hot summers day 110 F in
Socal at the river when I was just ** years old before I
knew what real beer tasted like but still when at the
river it has to be Pabst. I think every American will
stand with me behind this and most likely has the same
memories of this legendary crappy cheap beer!

M this is a a drink all day all night for days straight
beer ( at the river)

D please see mouth feel for description

side note: I know a guy who inherited a stand up bass for
a rockabilly band had a hole in the side of it and glues a
cut Pabst blue ribbon can to fill the hole kick ARSE MAN!
However I wont not even think about drinking this beer if
it was not a comfort food form memories long ago.

Serving type: can

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

Hands down kills the other beers in it's price range and above. Just a great American lager. Grain, a bit of malt. Clean and refreshing. So much better than what the herd drinks. Do yourself a favor and grab a Blue Ribbon. The bottle is just freakin cool too. Cheers!

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

A: Medium golden yellow, transparent. 1" head disappeared quickly after pouring (although not into a suitable glass)

S: Nothing much, light maltiness if anything

T: Exceptional for a beer that comes in 30 bombs, I would place this in the upper echelons of "college beers". Taste begins with a clean but refined grainy flavor, crescendoing into a crisp malt finish with little aftertaste.

M: This is where this beer truly shines. Excellently smooth and just enough carbonation. Not too much as to make it feel like a soda, yet enough to remind you that you're drinking beer and not flat water.

Drinkability: Good session beer, my favorite whenever I'm watching F1 or Le Mans on the tube, and great for parties. And dare I mention... beer pong (gasp!).

Overall, my favorite of the cheap brews. During such pressing economic times, you shouldn't feel the need to cut back on flavor, even if you need to cut back on price. As an already broke college student, I have no qualms about suggesting this fine beer for any occasion. This is one heck of a value for the $, and I wish other brands at this price point could compare to the almighty PBR. Whether watching the big game or out grilling with neighbors, no beer is more drinkable than Pabst Blue Ribbon.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

a long anticipated review. poured from can into pint.

typical american macro imo except that it excels in taste and drinkability . and for the price, i think i found a new beer to keep my fridge stocked with other than yuengling lager which is slightly heavier. pbr seems to be a love it or hate it beer overall but id have to say i love it. decent american adjunct but ALOT cheaper and tastier. i was pleasently surprised.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

Finally able to get this in bottles here in Central Texas (although they are no picnic to find). Poured a 12 ounce bottle w/a date marked "10208" on the side of the bottle.

A: Nice golden color, much darker than one would expect from a macro lager. Actually pours with a decent head, which sticks around just a bit longer than your average macro that you actually bother pouring.

S: PBR has a very distinctive, somewhat strong nose, in that the malty corn flavors are very present, but with a nice fresh one, you can especially smell the hop bite that will soon greet the palate.

T&M: Very similar to PBR out of a can, but this particular six pack of bottles I have seems to have a much drier finish than PBR normally has. Bitterness is still there, but a smooth dryness (at least of this six pack), distinguishes bottles from cans. The full mouthfeel (for a macro lager) is definitely present, with a nice carbonation that contributes to the refreshing feel of this beer.

Drinkability & Notes: So, the big question, is this worth going somewhat out of my way to buy PBR in bottles vs. just going to the close by grocer and getting a 12 pack in cans? In my opinion, no, it isn't. From my experience, the real key to PBR tasting its best is freshness, which due to distribution here in Texas, is generally out of cans. That said, the bottled version is excellent as well. I honestly believe that some people (including myself at times), are hung up on that a good beer can't beer served out of a can. Well, this has been proven wrong, and maybe PBR does taste a bit better out of a can.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

I haven't had one of these since before I really drank beer. I remembered at the time that it was the first beer I'd tasted that actually seemed sort of sweet. I could imagine myself drinking it to the point of intoxication.

Flash forward to last night when I ordered one PBR from the tap. I had been looking to try it again, but wasn't willing to commit to a 30 pack.

Pours as unremarkable cheap "piss beer." Not impressive whatsoever, but it pulls ahead of the others in the taste.

I think this is the only mass adjunct-type beer that actually puts corn to good use. It's not merely a filler, but a major constituent of the flavor. It's like a touch of sweet grits in the mouth, and it finishes clean with unobjectionable hops and ample carbonation.

Maybe it's not even beer--maybe it's a sort of alcoholic corn soda. But whatever you call it, I will certainly have another.

Sampled on 6-13-07

A nicely decorated can, with the trusty blue ribbon featured prominently.

Smell is not too bad, actually. Kind of like a German pilsner, though very light.

Taste is quite good, considering. Nice malt backbone with a surprising hop balance. No super-corny macro lager at all.

Mouthfeel is good, exactly what you'd expect.

Drinkability is fantastic, this is the stuff college is made of.

Overall, one of the best, if not THE best cheap beer you can buy. Amazingly balanced, it's a very good choice. People will still give you shit, though.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

I tend to drink this straight out of the can, so I couldn't tell you what it pours like -- but the can is nice looking.

The taste is inoffensive, mild, with a nice maltiness and no hops that I can discern. It is by no means an exceptional, or interesting, beer. Unless you take a really large gulp, the taste fades before it even hits your tongue. If you do take a large gulp, it has a pleasant flavor that still fades quickly.

But it is incredibly drinkable -- smooth, clean, and refreshing on a hot summer's day. A can goes down like water -- which isn't the most ringing endorsement a beer has ever had, but it is what it is. As cheap beer goes, this really isn't bad.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

Comes in a "man can" (24oz can) You cant beat that. Much better than its macro lager brethren, and surprisingly drinkable, it compares very favorably with its hoppy flavor and a smooth finish. Ultimately a very average beer, but my go-to when stuck in a bar with a small offering.

Best from a tap, but more fun to drink out of an outrageously large can, see if you can finish it before it gets warm.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

Okay, clearly nothing special here, but at $56 for a 1/2 barrel, it's currently filling my kegarator as the go-to beer when we want to save the good stuff. Here's the run down: Best friend, co-workers, girlfriend, and even my mother will gladly hit the tap for this stuff, so it has proved its worth at least in some form. I'm tired of giving my dough to the big 3 for a "family friendly" beer!!!

Last two 1/2 barrel kegs were okay but not "family" hits like the PBR....
(Keg 1: Founder's Cerise - fruity beer wasn't for everybody) and (Keg 2: Bud Slight - extra skunky but easily emptied)

Honestly, it's kind of like we returned to the 60's or 70's and retraced our family roots. Pabst has returned in a family friendly way for our family. Being within driving distance of 3 Floyds, Goose Island, Flossmoor, Half Acre, Lakefront, Capital, Tyranena, Leinie's, Two Brothers, New Holland, and Bell's has it's advantages...but those kegs end up being for me and not a share-able experience.

So sometimes, the family needs something basic. And Pabst does the job. So, a night of cards, board games, a backyard fire, and Pabst works out. Even for the beer snob in the family.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

My go-to lager. I don't care what anyone says but this is the best of the style and I never get sick of it. After drinking this for a while, going back to other macro lagers is about impossible.

Appearance is clear gold with a quick fizzy white head. Doesn't stand out against any other lager, but it is good enough for me to want to drink it.

Smell is not spectacular. Same grainy smell as any other of the style. It smells like beer but not as strong as the "others"

Taste is very inoffensive. It has that light crisp taste that fits with the style, but surprisingly more clean than its competitors. There is only a light adjunct flavor here. This tastes good, without considering the price...but when that factors in you must be crazy to have any other preference.

Carbonation is on the heavy side, but its not too bad. It is perfect to go along with the flavors but doesn't contribute to a great mouthfeel. Oh well, thats a sacrifice thats ok with me. Drinkability is incredible. This is my choice
"party beer" for that reason. Taking big sips of this is great, and sessioning this all night is great.

This beer might not be my favorite as a beer and compared to crafts, but its the perfect beer for the most occasions. Chases most food really well, good party beer, and something to drink while watching sports/TV/movies. I'm also broke right now so this is always in my fridge.

Had on tap at The Stockyard in Brighton, MA
Served in a pint glass

A: This beer pours a translucent light, straw, yellow with a 1/4 inch of white head. Head disappears instantly leaving no lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is grainy, corn, and some grassy hop notes.

T: Taste is somewhat typical adjuncts but bolder bodied. Thick grain and corn notes, hints of pale malts, and the finish has a nice grassy, earthy hops to it. It's not strong, but it gives this beer more flavor than your typical macro's.

M: Light body, moderate to high carbonation, clean, crisp body.

D: Goes down very easy, not much of a give, not filling, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this beer. This one is that you can put a few back easily.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company