Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Avg: 3
pDev: 44%
Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,607 | Hads: 5,085

Had on tap at The Stockyard in Brighton, MA
Served in a pint glass

A: This beer pours a translucent light, straw, yellow with a 1/4 inch of white head. Head disappears instantly leaving no lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is grainy, corn, and some grassy hop notes.

T: Taste is somewhat typical adjuncts but bolder bodied. Thick grain and corn notes, hints of pale malts, and the finish has a nice grassy, earthy hops to it. It's not strong, but it gives this beer more flavor than your typical macro's.

M: Light body, moderate to high carbonation, clean, crisp body.

D: Goes down very easy, not much of a give, not filling, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this beer. This one is that you can put a few back easily.

Where do I start...

Appearance: It's straw-colored, but in a different way than other macro cheapos...nicer, more refined looking. Little head that disappears quickly.

Smell: Hoppy. Cereal and grains a bit as well.

Taste: This is the hops master of light, cheap beer. Granted, that isn't saying much, but man, do I enjoy this beer more than any other cheap blonde swill. I can't say what it is really... a certain intangible... that makes this beer just more enjoyable than your usual domestic piss. Great hoppy, semi-dry aftertaste for blonde piss as well. ;)

Mouthfeel: Perfect carbonation, and not too watery.

Overall: As a reader of this review will no doubt have noticed, I have an affinity to this beer. When I found it in college, it was all "Wow... there's a cheap alternative to BMC mainstream that actually tastes alright? Sign me up!" Cans are good, but in a bottle, it shines a bit more. If you haven't had it, you live under a rock.

3.8/5  rDev +26.7%

im just sayin- if i gotta go regular american beer i go pabst. i mean it won a blue ribbon forcryin out loud. this stuff is about the same price as pepsi. as far as i am concerned its about the best beer for the money out there. it has more flavor than bud and is 1/2 the price. even at my locaql bar bud light=$2.75 pbr=$1.50. thats a no brainer.

3.8/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

16oz can poured into a nonic. this is my go to beer when for some reason craft isnt accessible. ill try to focus on this beer vs the rest of the beers for the style, and less on this for the rest of the beers in the world.

A- a bright golden yellow color with an almost non existent head. small spots of lacing left on the sides of the glass. small bubbles of carbonation can be seen rushing to the top of the nonic.

S- sweet grainy/bready malts, and something metallic that is found within so many adjunct lagers. little to nothing to do with hops, but then again those scare major production leaders.

T- light sweet grainy malts. hops are nowhere to be found. slightly metallic after taste.

M- light and fizzy. almost watery.

D- its hard to review this. its my go to"macro" beer, but at the same time it doesnt really have anything that im looking for in a beer. for the style its one of the best ones as far as im concerned. but in the grand scope of all that is beer, its weak as best. take this with a grain of salt. im sure noone on here is looking for insight when it comes time to choose the "best" 30 can beer. however, i find this the easiest to consume of all of its peers.

3.81/5  rDev +27%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass. I've been enjoying this stuff a lot out of the can lately, so I decided to give the bottle a try.

A - Pale and clear, decent 2 finger head with short retention. A little bit of lace however.

S - This brew still stinks in my opinion. The DMS is very prominent, along with old socks and rubber.

T - The brew starts off with a mild sweetness and then begins to dry out with cereal grain flavor. A touch of bitterness comes in late palate, with a faint lemon/earthy flavor from the hops. Finishes clean.

M - Carbonation is high, but seems less artificial than BMC products. While a little thin, it's surprisingly not at all watery.

D - It doesn't get much better than this when it comes to macros. It's not a particularly engaging beer, but it's a solid, simple brew proving that a macro lager can also be a great beer.

3.81/5  rDev +27%

A: light yellow. Two fingers of white and loose head that stick around for awhile and then dissipate to a thick sheet of the same. Surprisingly, lots of lacing, nearly sheeting.

S: Corn, lemon, grain, alcohol. Simple, but unoffensive.

T: Corn again, light and grainy alcohol flavor. A slight vegetal (broccoli?) flavor. Pretty standard PBR.

M: Medium body for the style. Medium to light carb for the style. Well played.

O: wow. I'm gonna get some shit for this. This is one of the more well crafted adjunct's I've had. I think I prefer this to others. Guess I will have to review them...

3.81/5  rDev +27%

I had this in both a bottle and a can, and I must say, I was very impressed, its appearance is very fine looking, like you would expect a beer to be, smells like beer, good amount of hops present, taste is very good, especially for the price you would imagine this to taste like water, but it really doesn't, Pabst uses alot of hops, and very exotic ones at that, not like its an exotic beer, its taste like beer, but it is rather quirky tasting, damn good though. and mouthfeel is nicely carbonated, overall I think this is a good beer, and a beer's beer at that, they use alot of good ingredients in making it and I think it runs circles around its more expensive rivals like Budweiser, or Corona. I also believe if you dont like this you probably dont like beer, Everyone needs to try this beer, at least once in there life's

3.82/5  rDev +27.3%

Ah PBR. What a rich history. And by history I mean I have seen more Pabst Blue Ribbon bar signs in garages than any other brew.

From the can there is not a lot I can tell about the appearance. The smell and the taste have something in commom: nutty. The taste is so rich and flavorful I could drink this stuff all day. Drinkability: drinkable. Mouthfeel: not thin but not thick.. Just right.

For the price can't be beat.

3.82/5  rDev +27.3%

This is my favorite adjunct lager. The cloyingly sweet grainy, corny taste of the most adjuncts is imperceptible in this one and I even taste the tiniest bit of hops on the finish.

Never mind that it is a "hipster beer", I'm too old to care about such things.

I did want to say that PBR seems to have some quality control issues. Every once in a while I get one that tastes of green apple. This is not normal. Most of the time I don't taste that at all.
I see some other reviewers mention that as well. If you taste green apple you got a bad batch.

3.82/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pils glass. Clear golden color with just the most minute sediment. The head is 1 finger in height, leaves some nice lacing, and has some good staying power.

S- Nice husky grains, a sweet malt component, and a slight hoppy note.

T- Starts with a very nice grainy sweetness then quickly recedes into a light finish that retains some residual sweetness.

M- Shockingly, I would like to see a touch more carbonation, but this is pretty good.

D- This is, in my opinion, one of the better macros. I will drink this again.

3.82/5  rDev +27.3%

Saw this one at a local convenience store and decided to give it a try. Cheap, simple beer but all in all its not bad. Beats Bud, Miller and Coors for sure and for a macro-style lager it doesn't get much better. Would definitely make a great thirst quencher on a hot summer day.

3.82/5  rDev +27.3%

This is one of those beers i notice people either love it or hate it. i personally love it. It goes great on a hot summer day and while im spending some alone time in my garage. It goes down very smooth and the price cant be beat. PBR always has a home in my fridge.

3.82/5  rDev +27.3%

Rarely pour PBR in a glass, but it was a light golden color like any other light beer, decent head that faded quickly. There's not a very strong scent that I've noticed to this beer, maybe a little...very little hoppy smell. Taste is ok. My favorite of the cheaper beers; and best tasting in my opinion. Nothing spectacular. Mouthfeel is crisp, refreshing, light and a bit of carbonation. Overall If given a case I could drink it all day, especially on a hot day. Good and cheap, can't complain!

3.83/5  rDev +27.7%

I honestly like this beer, as it seems to me as a classic American style lager, with a fairly crisp taste that takes me back to my days in college. Furthermore it is very refreshing as and is a good casual beer for a good price. It also had a light clean feel whilst drinking.

3.83/5  rDev +27.7%

40 oz into bicentennial Mason jar.

Frank Booth: What kind of beer do you like to drink, neighbor?
Jeffrey Beaumont: Heineken.
Frank Booth: Heineken? Fuck that shit! PABST BLUE RIBBON!!!

A: Golden golden with a four finger head on pour. Actually has some lacing going on and a bit of head retention in the middle of the thin sheen after dissipation.

S: Smells like Granny Smith apples mouldering under my Grandmama's apple tree.

T: Sweet grains and a bit of apple on the start. Can detect a ghost of a hop in there, and some flavorful malts.

M: On par for this type of brew.

D: Put a chair by the keg, Jeeves, it shall be a long night.

3.83/5  rDev +27.7%

Light and clean with just enough hop flavor to give it more character than the competition. Light on malt sweetness and when cold adjunct dms flavors are almost non-existent. Cult following is justified..Especially on a hot day. This is one of my favorite beers, and one of those that is as good out of the can as on tap. Enjoy.

3.83/5  rDev +27.7%

Appearence is a beautiful straw with a slight orange hew. Smell is clean, a little sweet with fresh corn. Taste is very clean. A slight straw and corn flavor. A little sweet at first but the hops give it a clean, crisp finish. The carbonation is almost perfect for this style. Drinkability is great, you can drink this beer all day especially when its hot.

A very refreshing and good American lager. And the fact you can find a tall 6pack for $4 is awesome. A good everday or session beer. A little cleaner in the bottle than in a can, and even cleaner on tap.

3.84/5  rDev +28%

Overall I thought Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) was an OK beer. The taste wasn't as good as I expected, but it was still not a terrible beer. The appearance of the beer was nice, but the smell was not that good. If I was offered this beer sometime in the future again I would have one, but I would not buy it.

3.84/5  rDev +28%

The only adjunct I'll buy. Just glad the Russians didn't get their hands on this brew. I feel it's our duty as BA'ers to promote this to the younger/cheaper set so that they avoid lining the pockets of BMC. You see a college kid with a bud lite, dope slap him and give him a PBR. It's American dammit!

3.84/5  rDev +28%

I kinda stopped posting my reviews since I hit the 100 mark; I mostly keep them in my little notebook at home. But I figured I start putting them up because of my experience with PBR. For what it's worth and the style it is in, this is one excellent beverage!

A - Poured a straw yellow with a nice frothy head. The head fizzed pretty quick and the was no lacing to speak of.

S - Malty biscuit followed by a corn husks. Pretty average for the style.

T - Very crisp and very clean. As my palate adjusted the hops were nicely hinted in the back of a toasted grain finish.

M - Fresh and light. First couple of sips took some adjusting but after that it was very smooth and refreshing.

D - I was in my sunroom on a hot summer night (72 degrees) and boy did this 16oz pour go down nice. I was afraid to let it get warm, but for these instances, that's not a hard task. Overall I recommend this as a good cheap summer session!

3.85/5  rDev +28.3%

Heard mixed things about this, had to try it myself.

Pours a clear, golden yellow with about a finger of white bubbly head.

Smells of grain, water, light hop.

Taste is very crisp and clean, tiny bit of sweetness with a very mild hop and water finish.

Mouthfeel is superb. Very clean and fresh, the beer feels good in your mouth, especially so when chilled. Very light bodied and smooth.

Drinkability here is also very good. I've bought several 6'ers of this since, and I'll continue to use this as a go to for those situations where I just want a cold one without having to think about it. Don't write this off as your old mans swill, this is alot better than most will ever give it credit for.

3.85/5  rDev +28.3%

I love PBR. For some reason it's between this and Budweiser when I search for a cheap beer, and this one always comes out on top. It's cheap, tastes pretty good, is all American... what's not to love about it?

A: Straw yellow. Nothing special. Pours a slightly larger head than Budweiser.

S: I get a lot of rice out of this beer, so I'll say it smells ricey!

T: Pretty damn good. Actually feels like I'm drinking a beer and has the potential to really hit the spot. Now, when I say pretty damn good, I'm not comparing this brew to any craft beers, but as far as the cheap ones go, this one is near the top.

M: Highly drinkable. Moderate to high carbonation.

O: A great, cheap, all American beer.

3.85/5  rDev +28.3%

Clear, pale gold color. Lots of bubble rising. Bright white head that dissipates.

Aroma is most grainy and corn with some grassy hops.

Light bodied, moderate carbonation and very smooth. Some grainy, some corn, just a kiss of grassy hops. Semi-dry finish.

One of the better Adjunct Lager; beats Bud, Miller and Coors.

3.85/5  rDev +28.3%

Pours into my Pabst Blue Ribbon Chalice a brilliant yellow color with a light coat of head that falls to almost coat the beer. The nose is light, slight grain and a very faint noble hop. Some light honey sweetness. Pretty standard. The flavor is actually nice. The honey-touched sweetness stands out to me first. The graineyness and light hop are mellowed out by the (corn I think) sweetness. A very nice flavor for the style. The feel is even a good solid moderate with a moderate carbonation. I let a little time go by before I sat down to this beer again with intentions of rating. It still comes through as a solid and drinkable beer. Had one off tap a few months back and it really quenched after a big meal of Mexican food.

3.85/5  rDev +28.3%

When making judgments regarding PBR, it all comes down to comparison group. As a cheap, American-style lager the most direct comparisons are to Budweiser, Miller, and Coors, and PBR is a clear choice over the numerous variations of these big 3. When drinking this beer, one can actually taste a hint of hops, something that is lacking in the more watery big 3 beers. Although not a fine beer by any means, it is a good, simple beer to enjoy at parties or on a hot summer day.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company