Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
2.63/5  rDev -10.2%

This is the macro lager i choose. When poored vigorously it produces a nice white head, but it quickly fades. First sip reminds you that this is a macro lager but some hop notes are present. There is not much to this beer but not much can be expected considering its price and list of ingredients. This beer is extremely consistent however, I have yet to have an off bottle despite this being a college staple for me.

2.63/5  rDev -10.2%

PBR from a can, the way it's meant to be...

This is of late the "hipster cheap beer of choice" for some reason. Honestly, the only thing I can think of is that Pabst is not one of the big 3, and so the perception that this beer is more underground, less appreciated, even craft, is prevalent.

I really don't get it. PBR is HUGE compared to craft standards, and in the flavor department it is no better than any other American Adjunct Lager. In fact, I think I'd rather have a regular old Budweiser over this...

Smells like an AAL, typical beery bitterness - watered down barley or rice... whatever it is - and nearly no hops.

The taste is watery. Bitter, but not hoppy in any way. Doughy, like semi-sour, soggy Wonderbread.

Very light bodied and tons of carbonation. A few of these would give me heartburn.

Extremely drinkable if you like this kind of thing. But I see myself reaching for a coke, or water, over this if I'm paying to be honest. Sorry to offend the hipster crowd, but this kind of beer is the whole reason I got into craft - so I'd never have to taste beer like this again...

2.63/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours out an typical macro straw color with a small white head.

Smell. I think it is quite neutral. small nuttiness to it.

Taste. Small sweet maltiness to it. i get no hop presence. good for what it's going for. aftertaste is sweeter.

Mouthfeel is ok. decent carbonation, body is average for the style, light.

Overall, it's one of those cheaper beers worth getting over miller light (milwakee and all). For cheap beers, i'd prefer Shlitz anyday, but i know a lot of people loving this. good for them.

2.63/5  rDev -10.2%

Purchased at the Beer Drinkers` Tavern in Philadelphia, PA.
At the BDT, you have 2 options when you buy a PBR, you can pay $2 and open to can yourself or you can pay $1 and the bartender will proceed to puncture a hole in the side of the can for you to shotgun the beer. As I was with a group, we all chose the latter option.
Light, clear, small head.
The smell is decent but lacks depth.
The taste is a little bitter, with some grains bouncing around the mouth.
MF is so-so, nothing really stands out.
The drinkability gets an average since this is what it is: a decent tasting, inexpensive lager. With one of the longer histories of a U.S. Lager, it is neat to drink the beer that your great grand dad probably had a few times.

2.63/5  rDev -10.2%

Found a can of this golden nectar under my couch while looking for my ferret. Poured the majority of the beer on my girlfriend in the heat of passion (she asked me to). Left a sticky residue all over my ninja turtles pillows. I cleaned them though and they are good as new.

2.63/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from 16 oz can into shaker pint glass.

Pours a decent sized head that diminishes pretty rapidly to almost nothing, barely a film on top of the beer. Pours a pale golden color that you can see straight through. Seems a lot less carbonated than I would have imagined. Surprisingly impressed with the moderate lacing.

Doesn't have much aroma. Faint grains and light, sweet corn syrup. Can't detect any hops.

Tastes about the same as the aroma. Very lightly toasted grains, a touch of sweet corn syrup. Hops are almost not detectable. After having just read an article about how carbonation affects taste, I can taste a slight acidity from the carbonation. Very light profile.

Has very light body, slightly more body than water. Higher carbonation.

For what this is, its not bad. I barely ever drink AALs, but it seems that PBR is one of the only I can stomach. Would say its better than other AALs. Can only drink these every once in awhile.

2.63/5  rDev -10.2%

On tap @ Barnaby's in Aston, PA. Pours the standard macro pale yellow with a one finger head that quickly goes away. I was surprised by how little carbonation there was, I could actually count the few bubbles rising in the glass on one hand. I tried like hell to find an aroma, but didn't have any luck. Taste is the usual cheap macro maltiness, with no hops present. Thin mouthfeel. Overall, nothing REALLY offensive, but nothing to seek out either. Great for washing down bar food while watching the Eagles smack the 49ers around, and quite a bargain at $2 a pint (it's most redeeming quality). It is what it is...swill for the masses.

2.64/5  rDev -9.9%

Roommate paid: $15 even for a 30 pack of cans...

The appearence of this beer is pretty standard: A clear golden base with a medium semi-fluffy head with signs of lacing and average retention. The aroma is of typical American macro-quality - yeast & corn mixture... eh

The taste is alright but not even into average level. It isn't bad however so a 2.5 is what it gets... The mouthfeel is pretty decent and the beers' best quality in the 5-point scale. The drinkability is average... folks it's PBR, a decent beer, the best macro beer in America...

Final Thought: This is the second best beer for price per quality (Honey Brown), definately a session beer when taste is irrelevant to your state of drunkeness...

2.64/5  rDev -9.9%

This beer has always been my standard go-to when I need the least crappy cheap-o lager for a party. It is better than the rest of the swill you can buy for this price.

Obviously, this is not the type of beer you drink to savor the flavor profile and inhale the heady smells with subtle undertones...this is a "get drunk" beer, and there is no shame in that.

So, compared to other bad adjunct lagers, its decent. Smooth taste with no nasty sticky feeling, and not overcarbonated. Smell is a little nasty though, of cheap dry grains.

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.65/5  rDev -9.6%

I heard that this was the beer of choice at my school, so I gave it a shot and bought a case for $8.99. From the can, the PBR poured a pale golden yellow. The originally fluffy head disappeared pretty quickly, and the beer looked painfully macro-bland. The smell was of adjunct (corn, I think), but with a tiny hint of malt. Still, not much happening. The taste really wasn't too shabby, though. Refreshing, with a pleasant malt taste and a small sample of hops. The mouthfeel was perhaps a bit gritty on the tongue, but overall pretty clean and smooth. For a cheap beer, this isn't bad. I have to give the frat guys at school more credit. Among the cheapies, PBR gets my vote.

Had Bottle at the Map Room Bar in Cleveland

Poured into Pint Glass

a: light straw color fair amount of caronation. Little Head that reduces very quicly

s: smells ok, malt not much hops. One of the better smelling macros

t: not as watered down as other macros. Nothing that stands out too much in my mind, just a average solid beer that is better than Bud or MGD.

m&d: medium bodied beer with a good amount of carbonation. Easy to drink and a great session beer. A good choice over the other BMC crap.

2.65/5  rDev -9.6%

Got stuck with this sucker while at the Blue & Gold in NYC. Let's just say the beer was better than the bar, which sported horrible service and little options.

A: Watery tan of coors light fame.

S: Smells something like an old beer, almost metallic.

T/D: In this case the taste is the drinkability, watery with beer-like substance and also a little metallic (can-aged?). It sure does go down easy, but I'm not sure why to bother?

M: Watery...

2.65/5  rDev -9.6%

OK here's my real question about PBR....Is it beer-flavored water or water-flavored beer? It looks about like water too! I guess the one up side to PBR is that it is very light and I could see it being pretty refreshing compared to most other brews. I wouldn't bother to spend my money on it though—if you're going to drink beer drink something that you can taste.

Poured from a 16oz. can into a pint glass

The color was a completely clear yellow/gold with a slight thin band of whit foamy head with no lacing

The smell was a little sweet with some pilsner malt. There was also a touch of bitterness as well. The beer was pretty cold and was hard to detect much in the nose.

The taste was a bit sweet like the nose. Pilsner malt with a light barley flavor. Some small bitterness toward the end.

This beer had a bit of a thin body. There was a good easy drinking feel to it and did go down easy. A beer with a purpose, this beer makes for a cheap beer when there is nothing but macro on the bar tap list.

2.65/5  rDev -9.6%

Well this one is a beer that anyone can drink. It is cheap and can befound in any store. $5.00 for a twelve pack a buddy and some fishing poles is a perfect combination for any summer day. A cooler to keep this yellow brew cold is a necessity. This brew does not taste good when it has even changed a few degrees from ice cold. Although I have to say for the price you can not beat this massed produced brew. Smooth taste, extreem yellowish clear color, and a nice blue ribbon on the can say it all. I am not sure when it won that ribbon but in todays beer world I do not think Pabst would get to many high honors. Well I know that this beer has missed my generation by a few years but I still find it an economical choice when feeding the masses for a party. It does have more flavor than Natural light and is compairable to Bud Light. For the true beer drinker I think you have to appreciate the road that this beer has travelled down. Not the best but by far not the worst.

Can

A clear, golden highly-carbonated beer with a quickly forming but a quickly disappearing white head. Little to no lacing down the glass.

A slight sweet aroma with some corn elements. At least nothing smells off or foul here.

A clean and crisp flavor with a touch of sweetness and some grainy corn elements throughout.

Thin to medium mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation. Crisp and clean.

It is what it is, and it isn't much.

2.66/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance: Actually doesn't look too unpleasant. Not-too-pale golden-yellow in hue with some foam.

Smell: I can smell the grain here...and it's actually a good smell. However, the smell of aluminum overwhelms everything. Thumbs down.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Decent carbonation makes it smooth. At the same time, PBR tastes like a below average beer. It would taste at least average, but it is very metallic.

Drinkability: The metal can make this a struggle.

Overall: PBR would be a great beer if it was marketed and distributed better. A very popular beer with hipsters and hunters alike, giving it some nice nostalgic points.

2.66/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a straw pale yellow with a foamy white head. Aroma was feint, but I could get some watered-down malts. Not much taste, just thin malts and an odd taste I can't really describe. Thin, watery, not too carbonated. I guess it's drinkable since it's mostly like water. The bad taste isn't really apparent seeing how thin it is. I can see why party-goers like it, but if the purpose is to get drunk, just get cheap liquor, it'll do the job faster and in less volume so you don't feel bloated.

2.67/5  rDev -8.9%

I can't really put my finger on it, but there is something off with this beer. The taste is just odd, and I can't exactly say why. It is not as rough going down as say, natural ice, but it is a far cry from most other pilsner beers. I picked it for two reasons. One, I wanted to get another review under my belt. Two, it's cheap. 11 dollars for a 30 pack is a good deal, but I would drink strohs first.

2.67/5  rDev -8.9%

A- The normal yellow pee like coloring

S- Nothign stands out.. maybe some malts i guese..

T- Goese down quick .. mild carb to easy to throw them back

M- Got to love that PBR taste

D- Buy a 30 its so cheap and see how many ou can throw back haha not recomended .. gave my a killer hangover

look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Really light color. Couple shades darker than dark lemonade. very light, not so pleasant smell like water and flour. Taste is watery with that kind of wheat flour taste. Kind of a sour after taste. Not really a good beer but it gets the job done. Not the worst beer out there. there isnt really much of a mouth feel.

2.68/5  rDev -8.5%

2.68/5  rDev -8.5%

I was curious about a better-tasting macro lager, so here I am...Pale and clear yellow, head is not stiff and has little staying power. Just a bit of a malty smell. Its pretty pleasant in flavor, not overcarbonated, hops short-lasting but not "in-and-out". Malt is sweet if non-descript but there's OK balance here. Doesn't finish with an un-settling impression in my stomach. Well, PBRs are more or less drinkable in a pinch, but its no undiscovered miracle. Thanks to Michael P. for buying a twelve pack and his sister Liza P. for bringing me a can.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company