Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
2.68/5  rDev -8.8%

Tonight, I was at dinner with friends at PF Changs, so not a great beer selection to begin with. I see PBR drafts for $2.75 on the menu, and think it's too cheap to pass up. Served in tall pilsner glasses. Clear yellow body. Thin bubbly head. Plenty of carbonation. Smell and taste were average macro flavors: corn, adjuncts, and a bit of malt. Not a horrible flavor, but nothing to write home about. Mediocre but not appalling. Mouthfeel was fizzy but oddly refreshing. Decent pairing with spicy Mongolian beef entree. Slightly more drinkable and enjoyable than BMC.

2.68/5  rDev -8.8%

This beer poured a very light, clear yellow. The head was fair and not long lasting. I had not had a PBR in years and thought it would be a nice walk down memory lane. The beer had little aroma and less flavor. About a third of the way through the glass, I spiced it up with several shakes from the salt shaker. After doctoring the beer, the taste improved slightly. It makes a good beer to eat pizza or maybe a burger, but not for stand alone enjoyment.

2.69/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Clear light golden straw color. A white head recedes to a film. Minimal lacing.

Aroma: Metallic, yeasty, bready.

Taste: Slightly sweet, metallic, faint malted barley, yeast.

Mouthfeel: Light and carbonated.

Overall: Hipsters like it, but to me it's not any better than any other adjunct lager. I guess I'm not cool enough :(

2.69/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Really light color. Couple shades darker than dark lemonade. very light, not so pleasant smell like water and flour. Taste is watery with that kind of wheat flour taste. Kind of a sour after taste. Not really a good beer but it gets the job done. Not the worst beer out there. there isnt really much of a mouth feel.

2.7/5  rDev -8.2%

Appearance: Actually doesn't look too unpleasant. Not-too-pale golden-yellow in hue with some foam.

Smell: I can smell the grain here...and it's actually a good smell. However, the smell of aluminum overwhelms everything. Thumbs down.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Decent carbonation makes it smooth. At the same time, PBR tastes like a below average beer. It would taste at least average, but it is very metallic.

Drinkability: The metal can make this a struggle.

Overall: PBR would be a great beer if it was marketed and distributed better. A very popular beer with hipsters and hunters alike, giving it some nice nostalgic points.

2.7/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours clear with a dirty yellow color and bright white head that fades quickly. Lots of bubbles floating upwards throughout. The nose is very mild, with sweet malts-and-grits notes, a faint herbal tea quality and little else. The palate is quite bland, with a light malt sweetness and a touch of balancing bitterness that grows toward the end. There's a hard, carbonic quality to the beer. Mouthfeel is quite fizzy with carbonation and, as expected, extremely light in body... although not too light by macro standards. Overall, this is pretty bad, and nothing that I would order or drink if I had a reasonable amount of choice in the matter. But it's not terrible by macro standards, and I can see the attraction of it given its cost.

2.7/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce can to a mug. The can claims that PBR was selected as "America's best in 1893" which was a long time ago. Pours yellow. A frothy full finger head forms atop and disappears within a minute leaving frothy lacing on the mug.

The smell is sweet and fruity up front with some watery graininess attached to the tail end. There's a strange metallic scent hiding in there somewhere as well.

The primary flavor is water. Surprisingly it doesn't give off the adjunct grain taste that I've come to expect from BMC. It's just watery malt. There's no real hop character to speak of. It finishes with just the slightest bitterness, likely from the carbonation.

The mouthfeel isn't bad at all. It's got a great malty feel and an appropriate amount of carbonation to balance it without killing the smoothness.

This can of PBR was pretty inoffensive and if you could get over the lack of flavor, you could session this pretty easily. With a less watered down flavor, this has the potential to be a great session lager. Overall though, I'm pretty thankful that American beer has gotten better than this since 1893.

2.7/5  rDev -8.2%

I heard that this was the beer of choice at my school, so I gave it a shot and bought a case for $8.99. From the can, the PBR poured a pale golden yellow. The originally fluffy head disappeared pretty quickly, and the beer looked painfully macro-bland. The smell was of adjunct (corn, I think), but with a tiny hint of malt. Still, not much happening. The taste really wasn't too shabby, though. Refreshing, with a pleasant malt taste and a small sample of hops. The mouthfeel was perhaps a bit gritty on the tongue, but overall pretty clean and smooth. For a cheap beer, this isn't bad. I have to give the frat guys at school more credit. Among the cheapies, PBR gets my vote.

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Clear and gold with little to no head. No real lacing either.

Smell: Perhaps a mild hop smell, but nothing too special.

Taste: Although it's a fairly standard adjunct beer, it does have a small but decent kick to it.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery. Not impressed.

Drinkability: This isn't bad. It's not the best thing I've ever had, but it has its charm.

2.7/5  rDev -8.2%

This beer has always been my standard go-to when I need the least crappy cheap-o lager for a party. It is better than the rest of the swill you can buy for this price.

Obviously, this is not the type of beer you drink to savor the flavor profile and inhale the heady smells with subtle undertones...this is a "get drunk" beer, and there is no shame in that.

So, compared to other bad adjunct lagers, its decent. Smooth taste with no nasty sticky feeling, and not overcarbonated. Smell is a little nasty though, of cheap dry grains.

2.7/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This is one of the better adjunct lagers I've had. It's a little too sweet, probably because the adjunct ingredient happens to be corn syrup. Not as carbonated as BMC beers and looks a tad better. Still not great smelling though. Not as much of a corn, skunk, metal flavor like you'd expect.

Not a bad beer if it's found cheap.

2.7/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale yellow with some head, but no lacing. Smells mildly of hops (though I was straining to smell them) with some grainy malt. Nothing really stands out from the flavour, but cleaner than many other macro lagers. Carbonation is a bit prickly.

2.7/5  rDev -8.2%

A: Pours a nice straw color, with about a fingers worth of head that disappears way to soon. In my opinion it looks good for an Adjunct Lager.

S: Pretty typical malt and cereal grain smell

T: A bit of a let down, A bit of sweetness, a hint of malt and grain, I think I tasted a hop...one hop in a Sixteen ounce can. It's just a hair above Bud for flavor.

M: Light bodied, very light bodied, just a hair above water.

O: I'm rather disappointed, don't get me wrong I wasn't hoping for craft brew quality, but I was hoping for a decent beer. PBR is barely above Budweiser as far a brews go. Oh well pretty average for an adjunct lager.

2.7/5  rDev -8.2%

I decided to try this once and for all just so I can answer back when I say that it is beer for wannabe hipster poseurs who drank it in and attempt to lend themselves and air of ironic nostalgia, and not because it is a particularly good beer, and people reply: "Have you even tried it?" and assume they've won the argument when I say no.

Holy run-on sentence.

In the glass this is a clear, pallid light golden color with a thin head that dissipates down to nothing in short order.

The aroma is faint grains, very clean, very weak.

The taste is vapid. There's so little flavor that really all I can taste is a straw like carbonation. Sort of tastes like a liquid soda cracker. There is just a suggesting of bitterness. Finishes bright and dry.

Light bodied and well carbonated.

About the best thing I can say is that this is a good beer for people who don't like beer in that it doesn't have a whole lot of taste to it whatsoever. Really, PBR is a beer in the same way that beige is a color.

At least now I can say that I've tried it and it confirms my suspicions that people drink it because it's trendy. Not because it's especially good.

2.7/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a light golden color with a thing bubbly light white head.

Smell is pretty light, not much going on. Maybe a little hops aroma, not much else.

Taste is very smooth and light. Light malt, light hops. A decent adjunct lager. For the money, a decent beer.

Smooth thin mouthfeel, decent.

Average drinkability, not bad, not great.,

2.72/5  rDev -7.5%

2.73/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance: It's light yellow. There's some head retention and a little lacing. It settles down to form a thin foam layer on top of the beer - looks like a normal lager.

Smell: Early on, right after it's opened, my sample smelled like match heads and sewage. I'm not sure what they're doing to this brew in Wisconsin, but it's not smelling great.

Taste: it tastes OK. Taste is there early. A little bit of corn, but not overwhelming. It's a weak enough flavor that it's not offensive. A little grain, slight creaminess, then well water taste. Not as overtly metallic as Stroh's, and not as creamy as Genny. A little edgier than Genny. The best I can say: it doesn't taste too much like corn or pool water.

Mouthfeel: not that interesting; pretty nominal.

Drinkability: great if you don't mind the smell. There's not much to overwhelm you here.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

It's been a little too long since I drank a PBR, maybe because of the beer snobbery that has taken over me. That's too bad because this one can get a bad rap since its the chaepest beer around and its the beer many of our father's drank. Not too bad. Typical macro, corn taste and smell, not too overwhelming. Pours a fine head with nice carbonation. Definitely easy enough to drink. A fine example of a true American historical beer.

2.73/5  rDev -7.1%

Well, after the thread a few days ago about "why PBR has become cool", I figured that since I had the time and lack of anything better to do, I would give one another whirl. I had to buy a warm sixer of SNPA, so I needed a lubricant of sorts that was already cold before the Ale cooled off a little. You see, I was away from home and bored as all hell in the billeting room I was in. This is the story:

A - Didn't have a glass nor the will to separate this from it's metallic delivery vessel. I have seen it in a glass before, and I can assure you that it is bold golden yellow with a thick foamy head if poured with any aggression at all

S - Syrupy malty thickness amongst the corn wallop that ensues. Sweet as well. When I was like 10, I toured the actual Pabst brewery in Milwaukee. This smelled just like the brewery. Kinda neat. Kinda sad.

T - Much like the smell of this brew, it tasted sweet and demanded far more attention than its American Adjunct contemporaries. At least with this one, they make an effort to give it a more balanced taste.

M - Highly carbonated and a little thick and fuzzy on the tongue.

You could do a hell lot worse when it comes to a BMC or adjunct at all. Even though this is review was for the can (that's right, the BIG can. Yes sir!) I have had this on tap as well, and it is far more refreshing than anything with Bud, Miller or Coors on it (yes, I know, Miller Coors make it. It's still better). It fails in comparison to most any craft beer of quality, but probably better than any other macro out there IMO.

2.73/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured this one into a standard pint glass and the beer produces a good white crown of foam, and the he body is gold and clear.

In the aroma there is corn, grainy huskiness, metallic hops, and that dextrin kind of smell.

The taste is of cereal grain, tobacco, and a little corny.

Feels thin and crisp, leaves the palate moist

2.73/5  rDev -7.1%

I guess this beer might be slightly better in taste than other American macros. There isn't that corny/rice adjunct taste that I usually get but there wasn't much else either. Some sweet, grainy malt is about all that I got. This reminded me of Molson. It was also thicker than other macros, but still rather smooth. Worth a drink when the wallet is light.

2.73/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

One of this countries stellar cheap and good mass produced brews. The can ssssuuuuckssss-but, in the bottle, this fella can do you proud-especially if on a budget. The only problem is if you drink more than three, get ready for a headache that will take you back to high school in a hurry! Worth a retry, but I'm not going to strain to come up with more info as I think the beer would get mad at me.

2.73/5  rDev -7.1%

Bought a case from my local liquor store, drank it room-temperature from poured can.

A: Color is a clear, thin straw. Pours with moderate amounts of head, quickly dissipating with no lace. Pretty much what one imagines horse urine to look like.

S: Vaguely sour malt smell, a fine example of classic "middle-America" beer smell.

T: Very thin malt taste, with hops and alcohol blending together to produce sharpness towards the end. Some grassy tones blended with iron produce most taste from this beer, but it's very thin, so they aren't very strong.

M: Watery, thin. Pretty much indistinguishable from water, actually.

D: The taste isn't that great, and the appearance leaves much to be desired. But would I have another? At this price, why not.

2.73/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured into my pilsner glass a pale yellow with a big white head on top. Little lacing on the glass. Smells like cheap grains, sweet corn, and bread. The mouth is really thin and wet. Very slick. Flavor is cheap and buttery. Not a whole lot going on here, but that's expected. I liked this in the past, but this is not that good now.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company