Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) | Pabst Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 1,657 | Ratings: 5,287
3.73/5  rDev +23.9%

I'm assuming people will call me a point fairy for giving this beer such high marks, but here goes.

Appearance: Poured a bright orange color with slight hints of yellow. Head retention was impressive for an adjunct lager. The scent had lots of "adjunct" characteristics - corn, grain, cereal - but they were muted. There wasn't much of an aroma to this beer at all.

Tasting: This is probably my favorite beer of this style. It goes down smooth and easy, with almost no hop bitterness and sweet malt flavors. There was some grain flavor, giving it a bread-y taste. This beer is incredibly easy to drink. It'd be perfect for backyard grilling and parties, as well as mowing the lawn.

This definitely was a macro beer that I'll return to time and again. I'm told it causes bad hangovers, so I would suggest drinking lots of water to stay hydrated while you drink it. But for one beer, it was very good.

3.74/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From a 12 oz can into a pint glass, this brew pours your typical straw yellow of the the Macro Lager world. Little head and retention but more lacing than expected and able to re-up a surface film.

Offers a clean malty nose, yet a bit hollow. Hints of cereal grains are surely there, but a strong corn presence is not. Kudos to that. After some air a bit of sour yeast emanates, rather unusual for the style but nice to find.

Taste is a bit grainy and lightly sweet, slightly creamy and citric in nature. Best served well chilled yet in a glass. Most macros I prefer direct from the bottle/can. Feel benefits from a supportive carbonation level, but is by no means 'fizzy'.

3.74/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

poured from pounder into duvel snifter
A - pours a clear, yellow with big head that goes down quickly
S - just beery, kinda metallic
t- perfection for an american adjunct lager, little metallic bite at the end, but its kinda good for this beer
m - thin and kinda watery, but very drinkable and clean
O - i am kinda biased, but I really really like this beer, my favorite college beer

3.74/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

PBR is good for what it is. It's cheap and it tastes alright. Hardly any cheap 30 rack tastes 'alright.' Genesee Cream Ale might be the only other 30 that tastes decent.

24 oz. tall-boy can,

A: Pours a typical, pale yellow lager colour, but the head is really nice and leaves some nice lacing in a pint glass.

S: Light, typical of a macro lager, but still more robust and has more substance than average, mainly of malt and corn.

T: A very good taste for a macro, a simple malt and corn flavour, with a hint of hops that's easy to drink.

M: Very good, again for a macro, medium-bodied, not over carbonated, creamy and smooth.

D: A great example of a macro lager, my favourite of the style so far, much better and tastier than BMC.

3.75/5  rDev +24.6%

As said before in other reviews... I judge this solely for what it is, an American Adjunct... that being said, this is a great beer when all you really want is a beer.. followed by another and so on.... light,crisp, refreshing,and it dosen't taste like that BMC swill.... Honestly, this is my go to beer when I need a break from all the great craft beers out there... It really puts me in sync with all the varieties available today...

3.75/5  rDev +24.6%

12oz bottle, pilsener glass, dated 10/25/10.

Pale straw with a glorified AAL flash in the pan head. In all honesty, the head is better than some others in the style.

Soap, minerals, grassy hops.

Minimally sweet corn or Pilsener malt, grass, a slight white pepperiness, and saltine. To me, PBR has a hop edge that no other macro lagers I've had, have.

We all know what average for the style is; fizzy, thin, but redeemingly refreshing at the right times.

Sure, better than most other AAL in my mind, so golf, beer pong is usually when I'll suck this one down.

3.75/5  rDev +24.6%

PBR was the first beer I actually liked long, long ago. Out of the macros it is the only thing I would still purchase I think.

Piss yellow, huge white head quickly dissipates, turns to a thin ring leaving just about zero in the lacing department.

Cereal grain and pilsner malt along with very light hops in the nose.

Definitely a little more flavorful than your average adjunct lager. Light lemony/floral hops, oats and grain. Actually quite a pleasant bready aftertaste. Carbonation is not overpowering. Although it is missing some key elements to the style (garbage, creamed corn) I'll let it slide. Tiny bit of booze as it warms up.

It is what it is. I have always enjoyed this much more than Budweiser and the like. I don't buy this as often as I used to, but this is my go-to when going to a party or if the wallet is getting thin...it has a time and place, a $5 6-pack pricepoint, and gosh darnit, a piece of my heart.

3.75/5  rDev +24.6%

Ah, yes, my Grandfather's beer. I still remember the empty, fully sealed *from the brewery* can that he had..

Anyways... pours, well, pale yellow, clear, as it shour... the head doesn't hang out at all... but there is a thin ring of bubbles left down the side of the glass...

Aroma... holy cow.. I can almost smell some hops in this macro beer... that is impressive...

Taste.. a lesson in balance between hops and malt.. I can pick up a lil of each here.. not much, but enough....

Mouthfeel... well, slightly high on carbonation... but good.. thin.. as it should be for this type of beer..

Drinkablilty.. enough taste to keep you somewhat interested.. especially when you look at price points..

One of the best, if not the best mass produced american beer.

3.75/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

As this style goes, this is one of the best. While anything but complex, there is a decent hop-malt balance and a very drinkable, enjoyable texture. Not a bad beer at all.

3.75/5  rDev +24.6%

I poured my PBR from a 12oz bottle in a pint glass and was pleasantly surprised by the head. Tiny bubble, decent lacing, mediocre retention. Color is light straw

Smells grainy and rather sweet. Malts are peeking through too.

Taste is a balance of sweet subtle malts and a pinch of hops. It is crisp and refreshing. No strange aftertaste that most (all) other macro's behold. This is very good. Nothing overwhelms the taste buds, but nothing does any harm either. Just nicely balanced mild beer flavor.

Mouth feel is moderately light and smooth.

This beer pair perfectly with a pizza or a burger. Drinkability is hard to match in the style and it is very sessionable. It is going to be my 09 summer beer. I have heard good things about this beer, but I was holding out for the bottle, which is a little harder to find. I am very pleased and excited to have a new standard in my beer arsenal. Thanks.

3.76/5  rDev +24.9%

Drank this one on tap (16 oz.) at Carrollton Station in New Orleans. PBR has a thick head and is slightly more golden than the typical straw color of this style. It is clear and bubbly. The taste is pretty much the same as all the other common beers in this category, but it's really good. I find it has a grain taste, with faint metallic notes, and the classic bite of American style lager. Mouthfeel is watery and light. PBR is very fine and holds its own against all others in its class.

RJT

3.76/5  rDev +24.9%

Pabst Blue Ribbon is the beer for every season!! Pabst Blue Ribbon, keeps them pretty girls teasin..

Its just the all American classic, go to beer!! Anyone who hates is just trying to deny they like 30 rack beer.

PBR=All American Beer.

Not the beer you sip on and savor, but the beer you enjoy thoroughly doing just about everything!!

PBR!!

3.76/5  rDev +24.9%

so, 647 reviews as of this writing. I'm having pints with a friend in lowell, ma. the brew pub is under renovations as a result of a change in ownership and has no "brewpub beer". My friend is drinking PBRs and I go with a local IPA. I decide what the heck, let's break with 19 years of tradition and see what this beer is all about. The bar sells kegs of this almost nightly due to a college being a block or two away.

So, looks great, corn aroma, clean light malts and corn across the taste buds. Decent. I am surprised and impressed.

I won't go wholesale into PBR but if I'm at this bar again there are worse choices to be made. Much better than the last bud product I had!

3.76/5  rDev +24.9%

I like to drink my beer from a glass whether it comes in a can or a bottle but there is something about a bottle of PBR with the red white and blue and the no BS nature of what is inside that is akin to a P51 Mustang or a Stratocaster or the Chrysler Building that I can roll with it. Anyone who gives this beer less than at least a B should have his or her citizenship revoked before being told to go F himself.

3.76/5  rDev +24.9%

bjcp lists a number of commercial examples for the classic american lager style 1b. pbr is one of them.

for me this is the perfect representation of the style

overall impression is stated as "thirst quenching" i could not put it better myself. i would describe it as "goes down like water" if i were asked

the "sting" that is suggested is not so present in this beer as other examples of this given style.

the one draw back is the corn note present in the finish. more prevalent than if i were to make the beer for myself.

3.76/5  rDev +24.9%

The best cheap beer out there. You can taste malt and hops. Light and refreshing. Adjuncts are there but subdued. The beer tastes like white bread but is sweet, with a mild grain flavor and a kiss of hops. Very smooth and drinkable, but with mild flavor of actual beer. Best cheap AAL.

3.77/5  rDev +25.2%

This is embarassing...I really enjoy this beer and will gladly buy it again.
Poured a slightly darker Macro yellow inthe glass with a nice one finger head that melted very quickly to a thin, thin outer ring lacing.
Aroma is lightly sweet malt and lightly hopped. (hops in a macro you can smell? Yep)
Taste is a surprise too...sweet malt...almost a MGD sweetness, but then followed with a genuine light hop bitterness or bite.
Finishes clean and crisp in the mouth with NOTHING unpleasant.
Just sort of makes you want to take another sip.
I was surprised....pleasantly
I feel guilty giving scores this high to an American Macro, but judging by style, I'm probably marking it low.

3.77/5  rDev +25.2%

12oz can poured into pint glass, no freshness date.

A:Pours a pee yellow as to be expected, very carbonated with a big bubbly white head the dissapears into a thin ring around the glass in a few seconds, looks like all the other macros out there so I gave it an average rating.

S:Skunk aroma up front but behind that is a nice bit of malt presence hidden behind cooked corn and grains, a bit better smelling than other macros out there, but still does not blow me away.

T/MF: Very carbonated up front with a taste that lingers on the tonge, do not finish as clean as other macros. The taste is also a bit more complex, the cooked corn flavors that define most macros are present here but paired with a nice bit of malt sweetness along with a faint hop nibble one the back end.

D: Very drinkable and better tasting IMHO than most other macros out there, also considerably cheaper (30 cans for 10.99 as opposed for 13.99 for 24 cans of Bud or Miller) always will be my first choice for cheap macros.

3.77/5  rDev +25.2%

DON'T DRINK THIS ON TAP!!! What are you nuts?!

Hated PBR and its kind for the longest time until finances subjected me to sinking lower on the beer chain. I still believe I spend a disproportionate amount of funny money on beer than food....

I have come to adore PBR (and its brethren: Golden Anniversary Ale, et al). When you let the damn can warm up (but not TOO much) you get the good tasty taste. C-c-c-cold - to hell with it - not all that different from Natty, Bud, Chud, or Fudd. But when it hits that golden temp, its hard to match.

I've come to adore choice crap pilsner in a can and Pabst Blue Ribbon does NOT disappoint. HEINEKEN?!!! F@#$ THAT S&*T!!! PABST - BLUE - RIBBON!!!

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is, hands down, the best of the american lagers. It pours a transparent yellow colour with a thick white head that quickly disipates. The taste is malty with a little graininess. I enjoy it very much. Don't let the cheap price make up your mind for you. You can't always judge a book by its cover. Pabst Blue Ribbon is the perfect beer to just kick back with.

3.78/5  rDev +25.6%

This beer brings me back to my childhood. Absolutely the best bang for your buck, light years ahead of other "budget" beers. Almost as good as Aventinus.

Not really, but still better than other beers at a similar price. When you don't have the money to drink "good" beer, at least PBR will always be there for you. Not much finish or aroma, but a crisp and refreshing taste.

3.79/5  rDev +25.9%

Consumed out of frosted pint at my local bar, at a dollar a pint you really can't go wrong if you lookin to get wasted on macro swills.Its a great crisp/clean American macro lager, not much else to say about it. I like to have one to cleanse the palate every now and then. The Original. You might be a Redneck if ?

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

If you try this beer in a side by side comparison with any other adjunct lager, you will definitely taste the superiority. Most adjunct lagers taste relatively the same but there is much more going on in a can of Pabst than just cheap beer. I honestly think this beer gets more snobbery from bud light "top shelf" buyers than it does from craft buyers, which says something. It shows that the cheap price is deceiving to price snobs who would be embarrassed to be seen consuming anything considered "cheap," regardless of taste and quality.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Clear, straw appearance with a foamy, white head. Nice carbonation. Aroma of corn husks with maybe a slight hint of malts. Faint whiff of citrus. The citrus is a little more prominent in the flavor. There is also some sweetness from the malts with the corn showing up on the finish. The mouthfeel is a bit watery, but substantial enough to let you know what you're drinking is something more than H2O. Clean finish. Overall, It's a classic. No frills. Just an enjoyable beer perfect for someone looking for a nice refreshment on a hot day.

16 oz can