Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,599 | Hads: 5,045
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One of the shittiest beers out there, i cant stand the after taste , that after taste you get just ruins it for me , all you get is corn and metallic taste , never buying this corn cooler again. I would much perefer a budweiser or busch to this at least your not geting that terrable after taste (295 characters)

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I see that the reviewers gave PBR a 72 rating & the Bros an 80 rating. And the reviewers gave Beck's a 67 rating & the Bros a 62 rating. Are you all nuts?!! Beck's now may be owned by InBev & brewed in St. Louis, MO. But I recently called Beck's brewmaster & he assured me that they were still brewing to the German Purity Law, which means they're only using water, barley malt, hops & yeast. I'm sure Pabst isn't doing the same. I know why all of you are rating Pabst higher than Beck's. It has nothing to do with PBR's quality. Rather, it's the "pseudo-hipster's" rating, i.e. "PBR is 'cooler' than Beck's because it doesn't advertise & has the patriotic U.S. colors of red, white & blue." C'mon everyone - get real. No way is PBR better tasting than Beck's. And no, I don't work for Beck's & I'm not German. However, I've brewed my own beers & know a bit of what I'm talking about. (884 characters)

Good ol' PBR.

Pours out a very bright and clear yellow with a little bit of white head.

The aroma is slightly malty with hints of grains.

The taste is much the same as the aroma. There is a slight hint of malt along with a taste of grains whether it's rice or corn or both.

Very light and easy to drink, but the flavor is nothing to write home about. Better than some other macro lagers, but not by much. (410 characters)

1.51/5  rDev -51%

Pours a simple light copper with a thin white head and no lcaing whatsoever. Smells like a decent macro-lager, but nothing special. Tastes like water with a pinch of grain mixed in. No complexity, and no flavor. So bland I could barely finish it. I used to like this is, but no more. Avoid. (290 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -50.3%

When first pouring from it's can, the foam was a very light wheat color/ almost white that dissapated quickly followed by the pale malt aroma with a metallic tone (probably from the can). Taste - It has mostly a crisp light malt taste that feels watered down with also metallic flavor.
A friend of mine drinks this beer often and offers me one now and then. At first I tried to get used to the taste(if you call it that). But now I can't stand it. It's probably one of the worst beers I've had. (494 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -50.3%

A Pale yellow and fairly translucent. Light white and utterly lacking retention with a permanent sticky lace

S Weak notes of hopps and grain

T Very hoppy with almost no grain. Weak and watery with a hint of tin foil. Yes. Tin foil.

MF A bit harsh and soapy.

Drinkability is fairly low. The sour bitter sting of hopps seems not quite right.

Overall this beer is not something i'd buy, but I still like it over other macros such as the dreaded bud. If nothing else i'll drink it in honor of blue velvet. PBR! (511 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -50.3%

There is no reason anyone should pay to drink PBR. Even for college students buying a keg, I would be embarrased to tell people I bought this beer. It stinks and tastes foul. Its only saving grace is when the beer comes from a bar tap, possibly because it is fresher (I hope), but coming from a can, run from this beer.

With other options on the grocery shelf--namely Miller High Life and Milwaukee Best Light--the low price is not even a saving grace. Some people get used to the taste from buying the cheap beer on the shelf, but I honestly can't support anyone even 'tasting' this beer. (592 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -49.7%

Can poured into a lager glass.

Appearance - White one finger head with good retention. Super pale straw body.

Smell - Stale cardboard.

Taste - Dry. Metallic. Horrible even for an AAL.

Mouthfeel - Watery mess.

Overall Drinkability - Crap. No real redeeming qualities besides the price. Even that doesn't balance out the worthiness of this brew. (348 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -49.4%

I do not see what the hype is about this beer aside from the fact that its cheap. But so are Natural light and Milwaukee's best. It tastes salty and does not feel good on the palate. It sets really heavy too. I will spend the extra money to get a better quality beer any day. (275 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -48.7%

My first PBR in decades:
Ap. Pale yellow with a small head that just got smaller in a hurry. No lacing.
Sm. Beer. Cheap. Grains, smells yellow!, corn? earth? Got it!!! It smells like Wisconsin in the summer of '72!
Ta. See above. A bit harsh.
Mf. Very very little mouthfeel. Like drinking a beer flavored glass of water.
Dr. If necessary. Aah, memories.... (356 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -48.7%

Serving from the pint cans normally found in the grocery store in a glass mug.

Ap: Very typical and generic adjunct lager transparent straw yellow. Virtually no lacing and a tiny amount of head that lasts no longer than a fart.

Ar: I don't grasp any significant smell. Just a metallic and faint odor of lackluster corn/syrup smell. Void of character.

Ta: This is where it becomes rather interesting. While you would expect the typical adjunct lager criticism, it is a refreshing beer. However, it is short lived as the beer becomes warm. Drinking a pint's worth diminishes the value of the beer since it requires you chug the beer. Thus the infamy of the beer that it is the perfect college/frat boy beer. You need to consume it fast and in large quantities to enjoy. This is not a sipping beer. You'll gather flavors of the typical corn adjuncts and very metallic aftertastes.

Mf: It's in my mouth...it's like a very inexpensive champagne. The carbonation is mild and you must decide whether to spit it out or swallow it quickly. You're SOL either way so you may as well swallow it.

Ov: It lacks true character, true distinguishable flavor and is nothing more than a party beer, beginner beer or beer of choice to ensure everyone in the party gets wasted. Once you develop a true appreciation for beer, it becomes difficult to indulge in PBR. Leave it for the rookies, but if you must drink it, drink it super cold and very quickly. (1,438 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -48.1%

ah, the classic hipster drink.

well, considering the metal tap and mouth opening makes the brunt of the taste I would say this is worse than the bud cans. the feel and colour and the drinkability is the same in comparison to the standard nonlight versions of the macros. (271 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -47.1%

Light yellow color with a head the quickly dissipates into nothing. Smell is bursting with grainy maltiness and skunk. You can almost see the old guys in the ice house. A very grainy, malty flavor. No hops traces at all. This is not a very good beer. Not a good value, either, at $7.99 for a 12 pack. (300 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -46.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Bright pale straw color. White 2 finger head lasting around 3 minutes. Average legs and activity.

Faint aromas and flavors of corn, citrus and sugar. A lot more bitter than sweet, slightly vinous.

Slick light body with prickly carbonation. Faint finish, but quite long, ending with a dry bitter smoky roasted corn aftertaste and fake sweetness.

Overall : Fresh but bland and overly accessible. Too bitter for a lager in my taste. (433 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -46.4%

I got really thirsty at a volleyball tournament before coming home to a PBR ... probably a good idea.

Pours with a big ugly head that drops quickly but, to its credit, leaves an good layer on top and some lace around the edges. Very pale yellow, few bubble columns .. eh.

Smells like corn and adjuncts. At least it doesn't smell very strongly... no hops or "malts" in the traditional sense.

Taste is gross. Bad corn and that overpowering taste that is in the worst of beers, the one that makes you flinch and make a face. Is that just "adjuncts?" Bitter finish that encourages puking.

Hard to separate the mouthfeel from the taste, but I don't think it's that bad. Starts off too bubbly, gets flatter as it warms, so according to the intermediate value theorem, there has to be a good balance in there somewhere. Still nothing pleasant.

I feel I should give some sympathy points on drinkability. It is cheap, although not especially for the style "American Macro Lager." About average for the field of extremely cheap beer. For a beer that's meant to get you trashed, I wish the finish weren't so gross ... it encourages vomiting when you want to keep it down.

I'll drink it at college parties, and it's maybe a step above Milwaukee's Best or Natty. (1,267 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -45.8%

Okay.

I encounter this garbage all the time at parties and it is absolutely atrocious in every way imaginable. I will never understand the love for this beer. One day when I was six years old I drank cat urine because these older kids dared me to do so, and it just so happens that the consumption of this abomination of a beer acts as a time warp back to that day. I'm saying PBR tastes like cat urine. It truly does. The appearance of the beer is very unsettling even when I'm drunk. If I look at it, the liquid itself (not to mention the can), makes me feel uneasy and nauseous.

The smell is horrid, though admittedly it is not as bad as the aroma of cat urine (leave that to the taste). The mouthfeel is just plain bad. And, making things worse, PBR is entirely unchuggable- leaving the presence of PBR and the absence of every other beer at parties extremely devastating.You can't even chug it because the taste is so painful to the tongue. It is low content, making the suffering of drinking it practically pointless.

If you want a crappy American beer, choose Busch. (1,076 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -45.5%

Very light-bodied and pale. It has a very grainy aroma and taste. Really not much flavor but that was expected. Doesn't go down all that smooth either making it really a beer I'll probably stay away from. It is cheap enough so if you're strapped for cash and want a cheap drunk, be my guest. (291 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -45.1%

Not a bad macro lager and a good deal at $30 a keg. This is a good one to drink if you don't want to experience much. It is golden yellow with a tan head. Not much of a smell. Some bad hops. The taste is very neutral. Not as bad a most of this style. Feel is very light with ample carbonation. No bad off flavors, but not much flavor at all either. (348 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

At first I was somewhat surprised that this beer seemed drinkable. I wasnt expecting much, but the first few drinks werent that bad. It kind of reminded me of a Miller High Life Light at first. But as I went on, this beer got worse and worse. It gradually started tasting just awful. I found that strange as beer usually tastes better and better the more I drink. Anyways, it looked like piss, did not have hardly any smell, and the only noticable tastes were a bit of bread and a few grains. Nothing special at all. This is not even worth picking up if its the only thing you can afford. Better off sticking with Busch Light or even Natural Light. This beer flat out sucks! (674 characters)

look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. can
I tried to find something good in this and I couldn't. The only thing that was ok was the appearance. It was a pale yellow color that somewhat of a head of foam on it. No smell, except maybe some grains. No taste, not even malt. It was just water with a watery mouthfeel. The drinkability is high for me because this some of the cheapest beer on the market and it shows it. The can made me laugh because it said it was made with some of the finast ingredients and voted America's best beer in 1893. A good beer maybe in that year, but thats over 110 years ago. Drink if free. (586 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -43.8%

Well I couldn’t avoid it forever. Clear pale golden color with tiny bubbles and a thick but short-lived white head. No real lacing to speak of. Aroma of sweetcorn and light hops. Light-bodied and somewhat crisp with a barely-there sweet flavor, and some bland hops. The finish is an off flavor that really prevents this from being a harmless, flavorless beer. The aftertaste is rather unpleasant, like wood varnish or something. Needless to say I won’t be trying this again any time soon. (490 characters)

look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't know.... this has been reviewed a lot here and a lot seem to like it, but I just don't know. Very boring IMHO. Simple, easy, almost like your not having a beer at all. Take a big sip, swallow, and its like "Did I just take a sip of beer or was that I day dream." It is cheap for sure and when I bought it it was like 90 degrees and I had a bunch of beer sitting in the cellar that was'nt very cold and I just needed some cold damn beer so I figured $10.99, what the hell!! OK I guess, I don't know.......... (521 characters)

1.74/5  rDev -43.5%

In my many years of beer drinking I honestly can't recall drinking a PBR. I'm certain I've never purchased one, before today. This 12 oz bottle from a six pack pours a clear, pale golden body that is actively carbonated. Once inch white head evaporates in seconds, and leaves no remnants of lace. Aroma is unremarkable, with subdued notes of adjunct grain sweet maltiness and a suggestion of vague hop. It's light bodied in the mouth, with bountiful carbonation. The taste is unappealing. Corn syrup sweetness, light grain presence, a metallic offnote, and muted hops bitterness. Tastes like cardboard, with an acrid finish. Crisp, but not what I would deem refreshing. Not as clean as other macros I've tried the past two years. Very disappointed that this is inferior to Coors and Bud. (787 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -42.9%

One of the best looking bottle labels in the history of beer. Ok now onto the review of what's inside. I don't care for PBR at all. I love several American Adjunct Lagers but this one just has a bad taste and overall flavor to me. I can't even describe it...its just off the mark in taste and drinkability. One of only a handful of American Adjuncts that I had to force to finish. I'll stick to my tried and true easy drinkers and leave the PBR's for the trailer trash and phony hipster crowd. (493 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

They won't be winning any blue ribbons with this one anytime soon. People will argue that this is an American classic. In reality- This beer is a watered down, flavorless turd. (176 characters)

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company