Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,619 | Hads: 5,133
1.78/5  rDev -40.9%

Corn yellow. Small head that left quickly. Smells like canned corn and straw. Taste like any other macro to me. Very grainy and maybe some malt. Mouthfeel was thin with some carbonation. Drinkability would be good except a horrible metalic aftertaste and the beer becomes absolutely putrid when warm.
When the situation calls for a low abv macro beer and some situations do. I think it's best to just get the cheapest b/c it's hard to distiguish the taste between them. The cheapest is usually PBR. It's a cheap beer plain and simple.

1.78/5  rDev -40.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Pours a very light straw color with a thin white head, which disappears quite quickly. Smell is somewhat unpleasant, with none of the grassy smell I would expect, more of a damp, slightly rotten hay aroma. The taste is an empty, ricey taste with some citrus notes. The flavors are very simple with not much going on. Mouthfeel is very thin, though the carbonation is pleasantly refreshing.

1.8/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a straw yellow color with a thick white head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving no lacing.

Very strong smell of corn, has a grain like smell that reminds me of the smell of the local grain processing facility here.

Pretty weak in the flavor department. I think if you boiled corn and rice together, then drank the water from it, it would taste similar to this. Has a bit of a metallic aftertaste.

Feel is basically water.

I guess if you had never had good beer before, this might appeal to you. Beers like this make me appreciate how much better craft and microbrews are.

1.8/5  rDev -40.2%

Did not like much of anything about the king of college beers PBR. Other than the fact it was very cheap and a fairly smooth drink, it was not a pleasant experience drinking my first and only PBR. The appearance was your standard yellow American lager but once poured had very little foam and basically looked like urine that had been sitting around for a while. Taste left a lot to be desired, one of the worst beers I've ever had to be honest. If you plan on getting drunk and don't want to pay much for it, then go for some PBR. If you actually want to enjoy your beer, I would recommend something else.

1.83/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Appearance: Sickly yellow , boasting low, thin carbonation that poured with a finger of head that did not lace or retain very well.

Smell: It certainly has an acidic funk to it with an odd hard water smell backing it. Warming didn't really help or hurt it, but I wouldn't say it's appetizing in the least.

Taste: It starts with a sweet, swampy corn taste that builds and builds and ends with a brief earthy hop twang. That's really it, nothing too out of the box on this one.

Mouthfeel: It's got an acidic texture to it that is undesirable but other then that it's alright, the carbonation is ok and doesn't fall flat for a good long while. It does cloy a bit after a while.

Drinkability: That acidic tone really hurts my desire to get this stuff down, and doesn't quite settle right. It's also very uninteresting so it's really not something I want to continue drinking for any purpose other then getting smashed.

Final Thoughts: I finally found out why South Park lampooned this beer, but remain oblivious at how this has suddenly become a "hipster" beer. It's pretty much a slapped together cheap lager, which I wouldn't really wish upon anyone.

1.84/5  rDev -38.9%

Purchased a case of this after they started sponsoring NPR. I say a case, because this is one of those beers that, outside of a bar, you can't buy in quantities less than a dozen. Also, it's union made. I like that.

Looks like your average pils, with a head that lingers perhaps a tad longer than usual. Smell is a bit sour, with a dash of malt and a heaping shovel of the sulfuric mud from the retention pond around the corner. Tastes a bit sour, but thinner and more watery than the scent would have led me to expect.

Actually, this is a little icky. I think I'll avoid it in the future.

1.84/5  rDev -38.9%

A friend of mine picked up a 6 pack of this while we were at his cottage and i tried one out on a boat ride. Can't say much about the appearence since it was in a can but the smell was unpleasant, something like sulphur.
The taste was pretty awful, strong presence of adjuncts, either rice or corn i guess. A very fizzy mouthfeel like tonic water and even though we were out on a boat in the sun i couldn't drink any more of these.

1.85/5  rDev -38.5%

Picked up a 24oz. can to do some brats and thought I might as well review some.

It should be noted this is from a grocery store in Colorado so it is legally not to exceed 3.2% alcohol by weight. Strange law in these parts...

Pours into a pint glass with lots of white head. The color is almost white as well. The palest yellow beer I've ever seen that wasn't labeled 'light' or Lite. Perfect clarity.

Aroma is sweet and grainy in a corn and rice kind of way. Smells almost stale even though the can is fresh.

Taste is an instant throw-back to college when we drank whatever was available and/or cheapest. Thin, light, almost tasteless. Slightly sweet and citrusy but even those qualities are barely there.

Mouthfeel is very thin. As we used to say, like having sex in a canoe...

Drinkability would be ok if I was still in college but I've moved on and this one doesn't cut it.

1.85/5  rDev -38.5%

Had this a few times.

A- Straw pale yellow

S- A little like vomit, and something else I cant describe.

T- Metallic, bitter, sour, pretty much the same as Budweiser, only the flavor is stronger. It left a sour film on my gums.

M- thin and very carbonated

D- I did manage to drink 10 of these one night. I was on a budget, and I was stuck with this, until we got to the bar. Never again.

No offense to anyone who likes it, but this beer is just nauseating, worse than Budweiser. Overrated for sure, I just can't understand how so many people on this rate it as high as they do. Oh well, its not the end of the world.

1.87/5  rDev -37.9%

I poured some Hipster Deluxe into a glass to evaluate the visual components, drank the rest from the can like one of the cool kids. Poured a clear urine yellow with a sharp white head that immediately dissipated, leaving no lacing.

The aroma was slightly sweet, with grain and grass most prominent, not totally bad smelling. The flavor was very neutral, almost no flavor of any kind. I was expecting corn, grass or grain of some sort. Maybe that's why so many drink this beer, it has no flavor.

As expected the body was nearly non-existent. The beer was very drinkable, in the same way water is. Avoid this beer.

1.87/5  rDev -37.9%

Alright, so I was out with friends and P.B.R. was on special (allegedly, it turned out it wasn't and my friend got screwed). So someone bought a bottle for me, and I decided to use the opportunity to review this 'fine American' Macro. Wasn't surprised in any way.

Pours a clear color, with a tinge of yellow. Is this water in a brown bottle with a red, white and blue label??

Smells like corn and little else. Boring.

Tastes watery, with a bit of corn presence. A bit bitter, somewhat different from what I expected. Not enough to make it very good though.

In the mouth, it does have a bit of a presence. Not as light as I thought it might be. Again some bitterness with a slight kick.

Overall, what can I say? It's a macro and cheap and not very good. One could probably easily chug a whole bunch of these. There would be no true beer appreciation, though. Next time someone offers, I'll pass.

1.88/5  rDev -37.5%

This is just the most basic and chintzy light lager you can find. If you're going to be repainting your garage or need to buy 144 beers to cover a Super Bowl party at your local AA office then it's passable but otherwise it's watery, and tastes only of grain. There are better starter beers (Coors, Boston lager, michelob, Stella Artois, Saporo, Dos Equis) and I'd choose one of them. No real reason to ever fall back on this one.

1.88/5  rDev -37.5%

Pours that crystal clear pale straw color, with a slight, fizzy head that diminishes instantly with minimal lacing.

I cannot detect much in the nose. A hint of pale malt, and what I can only describe as metallic, starchy corn. There may be a hop in there...

Taste follows suit. This may sound silly, but I feel like I'm drinking Old Style brewed with softened water.

Mouthfeel is exactly what you would expect from an adjunct lager: Fizzy and seltzer-watery.

Overall, this is just another cheap lager that fills the "I can slam a bunch quickly" bill that justifiably lets the rest of the world make fun of American beer. I'm prepared to get flamed for this truth.

1.89/5  rDev -37.2%

On tap in a pint at a dive bar, oh yeah. Pours a clear blonde with a small white head that quickly disappears. Aroma is corn and bread. Taste is exactly the same. Thin mouthfeel and sour aftertaste It sucks but still better than bud and miller crap..

1.9/5  rDev -36.9%

Poured from a 24 ounce can into a 16.9 ounce beer glass.

Appearance: Whoops! Heavy pour results in MASSIVELY foamy head (four or five iinches...yikes) which actually settles into a decent two-finger head after a moment. User error there. Beer is a pale golden color with abundant carbonation which eases off after a few moments. Looks filtered, not murky at all. The receding head leaves a light trace of foam around the inside of the glass. All things considered, it looks like an adjunct lager should.

Smell: Ouch...heavy corn alcohol invades my nostrils. Absolutely no trace of anything else in my opinion. Rotting corn.

Taste: Cold, saltless urine. That's about the best I can do. Vinegar and grain battle in futility over who will have the strongest taste. In the end, there isn't much of an aftertaste, which is the best thing I can say about the taste. Even for what it is, this is poor.

Mouthfeel: Very oily...not something I would expect from a beer. Unpleasantly slimy, leaves a film after imbibed.

Drinkability: Low. Not recommendable. If it were literally ICE cold and it was being chugged, it might be a "do-able" beer. As it stands, I don't know if I can finish the tallboy.

It's cheap; a local bar sells this beer for $1 per 32-ounce pitcher. That is the only reason I could ever see myself drinking this beer again.

1.91/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Whenever I go to a concert, this is the beer I drink. I'm always excited to give PBR one more chance as my favorite cheap beer, but it never impresses me. PBR is an extremely heavy beer and would not even consider it a session beer. I'd still rather drink Coors or RR for hours on end.

1.91/5  rDev -36.5%

PBR will get you drunk. And it's a better option than some of the other macros.

It's a pale straw yellow with visible fizz. Smell is the typical macro lager smell, some weak grains, corn, a tiny touch of hops, and not much else. Taste is just the same. Weak grains, lots of what I'm sure are adjuncts, and corn.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Drinkability? I'll reiterate. This will get you drunk. It's your standard American Macro Lager, and it just doesn't taste very good.

1.91/5  rDev -36.5%

To say this beer is uninspired is to put it mildly. It has so many off flavors and peculiar aftertastes, it's a wonder how they manage that in such a watery brew. There is nothing to recommend Pabst Blue Ribbon for any reason. I wouldn't buy it for myself, and I wouldn't offer it to anyone else.

1.93/5  rDev -35.9%

Every time I encounter a huge PBR fan I wonder in the back of my head if I'm the unwitting victim of some kind of practical joke or social trolling. I swear that if you did a blind Pepsi-challenge style taste test most of PBR's ardent supporters would not be able to discern it from MGD or any other so-so Milwaukee adjunct.

1.94/5  rDev -35.5%

American-style lagers from macro-breweries are, by and large, as weak in terms of substance as they are dreadful to the taste. PBR, the hipster's choice, is no exception to the rule. When considered under the most positive of circumstances, PBR is a cheap beer which can be forced down with greater ease than the major of its direct competitors; however, at the end of the day, there's really nothing to appreciate about this beer.

Resembles: given the color of the beer, and the beer's extremely poor head retention... urine, I'm afraid (★)

Smells like: a bag full of week-old beer cans (★★)

Tastes like: one part "last dregs of a real lager," nine parts "water" (★★)

Overall drinkability: I have to file this one under "almost bearable," aka "once I have a pitcher in my system, I'll be used to the taste" (★★)

1.96/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz can poured into a pilsener glass. White head that stands about a fingers width and quickly recedes to a foamy cap. Color is a clear pale yellow with lots of active carbonation.
Smell is a sweet cereal base with a slight lemony note. Taste is also a weak lemony flavor. A little bit of pepper in the finish.
Mouthfeel is light yet slightly oily.
I cold never figure out why PBR is so hot with the hipster crowd. The only reason I got this was the store was out of Hamms, and I wanted to put something in the can holder in the door of my beer fridge for Memorial Day weekend

1.98/5  rDev -34.2%

Why did I drink this...because I was thirsty. There really was no other reason except that I just didn't want to have tap water. In it's credit, it really is better than the huge macro light beers. Not a bad quencher for a hot summer day while doing yard work though. Taste and smell were almost non-existent. Mouthfeel was like soda water with a little beer flavoring. I really hate to beer bash because someone probably put their heart and soul into brewing this so I'm not going to say I hate it but it is difficult. I have noticed a recent trend for this beer lately so I put it on tap for Oktoberfest. I never heard the end of that one. Needless to say, it won't make another appearance. If you like the F.Y.B. style then hey, knock yourself out.

1.98/5  rDev -34.2%

Pale golden body that crystal clear and constant carbonation rising. It looks like any other American Macro Lager. The smell and taste are nothing to special either. The both are filled with corny adjuncts. The mouthfeel is paper thin and it goes down like water. Not the worse Beer I've had but not the best by a long shot.

So...only really reviewing this because I said to myself that I was going to try to review every beer that I have now that I haven't reviewed before. Not my first time with this but had it on tap last weekend and took some notes...

Appearance- What can I say exactly...this looks like the epitomy of fizzy yellow macro. A pitcher of this only yielded about a half a finger of sodalike head that immediately fizzed out. Some carbonation remained throughout the body however, again similar to soda-pop. Not the worst looking beer I've ever seen, but it sure does look pretty much like I'd envision corn flavored soda.

Smell- Hmm, some words popped into my mind here which are both unflattering and colorful, but I'm going to do my best be both gentleman and scholar in my description. First off, smells faintly of corn and random adjunct. This isn't what really gets me, the part that bothers me is there is another faint smell that I can't shake and can best be described as a touch of egg-fart. Its a somewhat odd sulfurous quality that I just can't seem to get around but that I regardless find a bit unpleasant.

Taste- Run of the mill and disappointing. What little flavors going on in this beer are very watered down. Some corn again, metallic bits, and a very very faint graininess. My buddy, who is quite fond of PBR, refers to this beautiful bouquet as a "treated water" taste. Whatever it is, I find the combination to be rather disappointing.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Thin thin thin. I suppose that the thinness combined with the watered down flavor profile of this beer should make it drinkable. However, I don't find anything in the flavor to keep me interested or make me continue drinking, which doesn't leave me wanting to have another.

Overall, I can't really distinguish why this loved particularly more than any other macro other than the marketing campaign behind it. For me, the current standard for a decent macro lager that is refreshing with some flavor is Schlitz Gusto. I find this one to be far short of that and much in line with all the other macros I've had.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) 16 oz can $1.29(OH)

16 oz can poured into a stemless white wine glass. Drink before date printed on the bottom.

Pours a straw yellow color. A two finger white head that goes away with a quickness. Minimal to no lacing is left on the glass. An endless stream of bubbles shoot towards the surface. Just by looking this brew is way over carbonated.

The aroma is very light. light malts, and an adjunct smell of corn.

The taste is light and crisp, Kind of an apple taste. followed by a corny taste. finishes smooth with a dry grape like taste. Hardly any taste at all, so it is smooth.

mouth feel is very light. over carbonated. Any taste is gone seconds after i swallowed.

Overall this is Your typical adjunct lager. I normally don't review brews like this but after reading in some forums that PBR was a preferred cheap beer i thought i would try it. Waste of time. Its your typical corny american adjunct lager.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company