Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,980 | Reviews: 1,689
1.63/5  rDev -44.4%

The label isn't so bad.

1.64/5  rDev -44%

what do you really expect?

1.64/5  rDev -44%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Bright pale straw color. White 2 finger head lasting around 3 minutes. Average legs and activity.

Faint aromas and flavors of corn, citrus and sugar. A lot more bitter than sweet, slightly vinous.

Slick light body with prickly carbonation. Faint finish, but quite long, ending with a dry bitter smoky roasted corn aftertaste and fake sweetness.

Overall : Fresh but bland and overly accessible. Too bitter for a lager in my taste.

1.65/5  rDev -43.7%

I got really thirsty at a volleyball tournament before coming home to a PBR ... probably a good idea.

Pours with a big ugly head that drops quickly but, to its credit, leaves an good layer on top and some lace around the edges. Very pale yellow, few bubble columns .. eh.

Smells like corn and adjuncts. At least it doesn't smell very strongly... no hops or "malts" in the traditional sense.

Taste is gross. Bad corn and that overpowering taste that is in the worst of beers, the one that makes you flinch and make a face. Is that just "adjuncts?" Bitter finish that encourages puking.

Hard to separate the mouthfeel from the taste, but I don't think it's that bad. Starts off too bubbly, gets flatter as it warms, so according to the intermediate value theorem, there has to be a good balance in there somewhere. Still nothing pleasant.

I feel I should give some sympathy points on drinkability. It is cheap, although not especially for the style "American Macro Lager." About average for the field of extremely cheap beer. For a beer that's meant to get you trashed, I wish the finish weren't so gross ... it encourages vomiting when you want to keep it down.

I'll drink it at college parties, and it's maybe a step above Milwaukee's Best or Natty.

1.66/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Never understood its popularity other than being dirt cheap. Bad beer should be cheap.

1.67/5  rDev -43%

Okay.

I encounter this garbage all the time at parties and it is absolutely atrocious in every way imaginable. I will never understand the love for this beer. One day when I was six years old I drank cat urine because these older kids dared me to do so, and it just so happens that the consumption of this abomination of a beer acts as a time warp back to that day. I'm saying PBR tastes like cat urine. It truly does. The appearance of the beer is very unsettling even when I'm drunk. If I look at it, the liquid itself (not to mention the can), makes me feel uneasy and nauseous.

The smell is horrid, though admittedly it is not as bad as the aroma of cat urine (leave that to the taste). The mouthfeel is just plain bad. And, making things worse, PBR is entirely unchuggable- leaving the presence of PBR and the absence of every other beer at parties extremely devastating.You can't even chug it because the taste is so painful to the tongue. It is low content, making the suffering of drinking it practically pointless.

If you want a crappy American beer, choose Busch.

1.68/5  rDev -42.7%

Very light-bodied and pale. It has a very grainy aroma and taste. Really not much flavor but that was expected. Doesn't go down all that smooth either making it really a beer I'll probably stay away from. It is cheap enough so if you're strapped for cash and want a cheap drunk, be my guest.

1.69/5  rDev -42.3%

Not a bad macro lager and a good deal at $30 a keg. This is a good one to drink if you don't want to experience much. It is golden yellow with a tan head. Not much of a smell. Some bad hops. The taste is very neutral. Not as bad a most of this style. Feel is very light with ample carbonation. No bad off flavors, but not much flavor at all either.

1.7/5  rDev -42%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

At first I was somewhat surprised that this beer seemed drinkable. I wasnt expecting much, but the first few drinks werent that bad. It kind of reminded me of a Miller High Life Light at first. But as I went on, this beer got worse and worse. It gradually started tasting just awful. I found that strange as beer usually tastes better and better the more I drink. Anyways, it looked like piss, did not have hardly any smell, and the only noticable tastes were a bit of bread and a few grains. Nothing special at all. This is not even worth picking up if its the only thing you can afford. Better off sticking with Busch Light or even Natural Light. This beer flat out sucks!

1.72/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

I would never pay to drink this beer, it better be free..

look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. can
I tried to find something good in this and I couldn't. The only thing that was ok was the appearance. It was a pale yellow color that somewhat of a head of foam on it. No smell, except maybe some grains. No taste, not even malt. It was just water with a watery mouthfeel. The drinkability is high for me because this some of the cheapest beer on the market and it shows it. The can made me laugh because it said it was made with some of the finast ingredients and voted America's best beer in 1893. A good beer maybe in that year, but thats over 110 years ago. Drink if free.

1.73/5  rDev -41%

Well I couldn’t avoid it forever. Clear pale golden color with tiny bubbles and a thick but short-lived white head. No real lacing to speak of. Aroma of sweetcorn and light hops. Light-bodied and somewhat crisp with a barely-there sweet flavor, and some bland hops. The finish is an off flavor that really prevents this from being a harmless, flavorless beer. The aftertaste is rather unpleasant, like wood varnish or something. Needless to say I won’t be trying this again any time soon.

look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't know.... this has been reviewed a lot here and a lot seem to like it, but I just don't know. Very boring IMHO. Simple, easy, almost like your not having a beer at all. Take a big sip, swallow, and its like "Did I just take a sip of beer or was that I day dream." It is cheap for sure and when I bought it it was like 90 degrees and I had a bunch of beer sitting in the cellar that was'nt very cold and I just needed some cold damn beer so I figured $10.99, what the hell!! OK I guess, I don't know..........

1.74/5  rDev -40.6%

In my many years of beer drinking I honestly can't recall drinking a PBR. I'm certain I've never purchased one, before today. This 12 oz bottle from a six pack pours a clear, pale golden body that is actively carbonated. Once inch white head evaporates in seconds, and leaves no remnants of lace. Aroma is unremarkable, with subdued notes of adjunct grain sweet maltiness and a suggestion of vague hop. It's light bodied in the mouth, with bountiful carbonation. The taste is unappealing. Corn syrup sweetness, light grain presence, a metallic offnote, and muted hops bitterness. Tastes like cardboard, with an acrid finish. Crisp, but not what I would deem refreshing. Not as clean as other macros I've tried the past two years. Very disappointed that this is inferior to Coors and Bud.

look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

aside from it being popular now and i see no way how this beer justifies a 2.93 rating. it tastes as though it is made with spent grain. icky

look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Very little flavor, not very enjoyable.

look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

A little harsh taste. It has a lingering after taste that is not too pleasant. But for a macro brew its ok. More complex than Bud or Coors,

look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

It'll get ya drunk, won't taste good until about 9.

1.76/5  rDev -39.9%

One of the best looking bottle labels in the history of beer. Ok now onto the review of what's inside. I don't care for PBR at all. I love several American Adjunct Lagers but this one just has a bad taste and overall flavor to me. I can't even describe it...its just off the mark in taste and drinkability. One of only a handful of American Adjuncts that I had to force to finish. I'll stick to my tried and true easy drinkers and leave the PBR's for the trailer trash and phony hipster crowd.

1.76/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

They won't be winning any blue ribbons with this one anytime soon. People will argue that this is an American classic. In reality- This beer is a watered down, flavorless turd.

1.78/5  rDev -39.2%

Corn yellow. Small head that left quickly. Smells like canned corn and straw. Taste like any other macro to me. Very grainy and maybe some malt. Mouthfeel was thin with some carbonation. Drinkability would be good except a horrible metalic aftertaste and the beer becomes absolutely putrid when warm.
When the situation calls for a low abv macro beer and some situations do. I think it's best to just get the cheapest b/c it's hard to distiguish the taste between them. The cheapest is usually PBR. It's a cheap beer plain and simple.

1.78/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Pours a very light straw color with a thin white head, which disappears quite quickly. Smell is somewhat unpleasant, with none of the grassy smell I would expect, more of a damp, slightly rotten hay aroma. The taste is an empty, ricey taste with some citrus notes. The flavors are very simple with not much going on. Mouthfeel is very thin, though the carbonation is pleasantly refreshing.

1.8/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a straw yellow color with a thick white head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving no lacing.

Very strong smell of corn, has a grain like smell that reminds me of the smell of the local grain processing facility here.

Pretty weak in the flavor department. I think if you boiled corn and rice together, then drank the water from it, it would taste similar to this. Has a bit of a metallic aftertaste.

Feel is basically water.

I guess if you had never had good beer before, this might appeal to you. Beers like this make me appreciate how much better craft and microbrews are.

1.8/5  rDev -38.6%

Did not like much of anything about the king of college beers PBR. Other than the fact it was very cheap and a fairly smooth drink, it was not a pleasant experience drinking my first and only PBR. The appearance was your standard yellow American lager but once poured had very little foam and basically looked like urine that had been sitting around for a while. Taste left a lot to be desired, one of the worst beers I've ever had to be honest. If you plan on getting drunk and don't want to pay much for it, then go for some PBR. If you actually want to enjoy your beer, I would recommend something else.

1.83/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Appearance: Sickly yellow , boasting low, thin carbonation that poured with a finger of head that did not lace or retain very well.

Smell: It certainly has an acidic funk to it with an odd hard water smell backing it. Warming didn't really help or hurt it, but I wouldn't say it's appetizing in the least.

Taste: It starts with a sweet, swampy corn taste that builds and builds and ends with a brief earthy hop twang. That's really it, nothing too out of the box on this one.

Mouthfeel: It's got an acidic texture to it that is undesirable but other then that it's alright, the carbonation is ok and doesn't fall flat for a good long while. It does cloy a bit after a while.

Drinkability: That acidic tone really hurts my desire to get this stuff down, and doesn't quite settle right. It's also very uninteresting so it's really not something I want to continue drinking for any purpose other then getting smashed.

Final Thoughts: I finally found out why South Park lampooned this beer, but remain oblivious at how this has suddenly become a "hipster" beer. It's pretty much a slapped together cheap lager, which I wouldn't really wish upon anyone.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company