Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,599 | Hads: 5,045
1.43/5  rDev -53.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

4.9% ABV, 355ml can.
juz a lighter version of any other crappy cheap lager, similar taste. but u have to have them in our life, right? especially after whole day work, refreshing when it's freezed! (197 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

This is the beer that defines two terms for me...high school and vomit. As an adjunct lager, there is really not much to say in terms of nose, taste, and mouthfeel. It is crap beer, but to me, this one is a little crappier than others. That could be the high school experiences I associate with it, but it is what it is. (321 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is clearly an American Lager. As is the case with so many "cheap" American Lagers it is now a better beer than the BMC beers. Is it great beer? No. It is easy to drink and doesn't need to be chilled to 32 degrees to be drinkable. If you are looking to get drunk and don't want to drink water all night, it's not that bad. For the specifics: Straw colored. Doesn't have much in the way of smell. It has a light malty taste without much in the way of hops. Not bitter at all. Light bodied. Only thing bad is it's a hipster beer. (532 characters)

Poured from a can. Pale golden yellow with a thick white head, no legs. Good floral aroma. Taste is very bitter with a malty, cereal aftertaste. Thin texture. Not a great beer. (176 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Compared to the BMC family, I would buy this over any of them if I was looking for a session beer. Actually has some taste and body to it, but not much. (152 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Hands down the best AAL I've drank to date! I can actually drink this stuff...& when the money's tight, its become my go to cheap beer! Much the same feel of a traditional AAL, but with a definite hop aroma, taste, & character. (227 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +17.5%

If you want a cheap, refreshing beer that doesn't taste like it was already drank once.. PBR is your go-to. Don't let hipsters ruin it. It's the drinkable alternative to B Light and Miller. (189 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

In my opinion, PBR has an undeserved bad rap. I find this to be an extremely easy drinking and refreshing beer...and it's inexpensive, you won't bust the bank or spend a tank full of gas looking for it! Something else going for it is the lack of that horrible "corn-grain" aftertaste so common in every other macro- brewed lager. The only real "negative" aspect PBR has is it's smell. Not sure what's going on there, it's not horrific by any stretch of the imagination, it's just a little off. I had never tried a PBR in my "formative" years, thinking it was more to my grandfather's liking...goes to show ya, there may be a reason some things stick around. (657 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -62.7%

Proof that hipsters are just being ironic, or moronic. This is bad stuff, tastes like day old beer that sat in a pewter mug overnight. Rough metallic taste that demands this beer be drank extremely cold and really fast. It's a good candidate if you have a bunch of extra salt and lime laying about. (298 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pabst Blue Ribbon or “PBR” is one of the last big macros I am yet to wrap my gob around and also infamously known as a hipster beer - I am the actually the original hipster before being a hipster was pseudo-cool and then not cool again, i.e. the rise and fall of hipsterism. So it is only natural that I should be reviewing this brew with the various hipster powers at my disposal [hipster powers include: wearing an op-shop trilby and blazer from the 1940’s, knowing where all the best cafés with free Wi-Fi are, and hipster vision: the ability to spot the best value for money meal at any restaurant... essentially it means being cheap]. Let’s do this thing!

Poured from a 473ml (WTF kind of size is that???) can into a Stein.

A: Pale clear, dare I say: urine yellow, with a huge 2 inch foamy white head that doesn’t seem to want to recede. It’s very light coloured, lighter than most Lagers - and they’re one of the lightest of styles. 7/10.

S: Quite adjuncty with corn notes to the fore, hints of grain, cut grass, faint hops (in a Lager?! *spits*) and that classic metallic cheap Lager character which shines on through the aroma. It’s not the worst cheap Lager I’ve ever whiffed but likewise it ain’t winning any awards. 5/10.

T: Grainy up front on the palate, bit of dirty vegetal and cut grass hops, some sweet corn to balance it out... actually tastes more like an Aussie macro Lager than an American one (Carlton Draught springs to mind)... in that respect I’m not impressed and would easily take a cheap German Lager like Oettinger Pils over this. Finish is dry and the aftertaste has a slight cloying corn sweetness that reconfirms its status as a cheap Adjunct Lager pas cher. 5/10.

M: Mid to light body with that aforementioned slight cloying and a medium carbonation. 7/10.

D: PBR is one of the OK crap beers - a gold turd if you will. The cloy from the sweet corn is a tad overdone and it could be a bit crisper, otherwise this is one of those beers you’ll see in the cooler at a party [possibly a hipster party] and your bro says “help yourself to a beer” and it’s PBR, Miller Draft, Coors or any light beer (this is a party in the US BTW)... in this situation go with PBR. What if you want a decent Lager to drink at home? Kozel Premium, Löwenbräu and Stella Artois have you covered. 6/10.

Food match: Hot dogs and hamburgers - US style! (2,395 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -37.3%

Every time I encounter a huge PBR fan I wonder in the back of my head if I'm the unwitting victim of some kind of practical joke or social trolling. I swear that if you did a blind Pepsi-challenge style taste test most of PBR's ardent supporters would not be able to discern it from MGD or any other so-so Milwaukee adjunct. (324 characters)

1.07/5  rDev -65.3%

Tried this for the first time the other day, I know its been around a long time. Light, water with an off flavor. Not a good taste at all. Awful choice with all the new beer out there. Marketed on sale very cheap often. Not worth it even for its low price. (256 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is a got to have a beer after dinner, and want it to be light. I always use this as a clear the palette while taking with friends beer. Crisp taste, not a bud.. Has a hint of bitter to let you know it is a beer. (216 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -58.4%

Cheap beer that's been around for a long time, got a can from my dad and I found out what all the hype behind this one was all about... And I was disappointed.
Drank from a can, I can't comment on the look.
Smelled of your average cheap beer, nice carbonation.
Tasted of... nothing. It tasted like most cheap beers I've had, like a Budweiser or a Busch.
It's not that I don't like a nice cold cheap beer on a hot summer day. But my expectations from what I've heard were not met. (480 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +7.8%

You can't do any better when going for cheap beer. In a world of Keystone and Natty Boh, PBR is King. It actually taste like BEER and not dirty water like some of the other cheap beers. Yes, it isn't anything to write home about, and if you have the money, there's no reason to buy it, but if you're looking for cheap beer and actually want something that has a taste, this is where to go. (389 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I honestly don't get it, even in the style subpar. Most people like it for what it isn't rather than what it is. One of my least favorite AALs which is a style that I still gravitate to. (186 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Better than Bud,Coors,Corona etc. classic AAL taste that has some taste at least. Beer buzz comes quickly for some reason and maybe that's why it has a weird allure in popular culture. 9 bucks for a twelver is good value and will finish/share till gone. (253 characters)

This beer is so overrated. Too sweet, overly carbonated and has a weird chemical aftertaste. In your face and up yours, you silly hipsters!, you just go on and keep on drinking this crap, you and your shitty PBR are so pathetic. (228 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Was at a chain restaurant, tap selection was horrid. Hadn't had PBR since high school, was cheapest beer.

Beat my very low expectations. Would I ever buy again? No, unless in a similar situation. (196 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

4/16/15 (Can) - Light pour, no carbonation, head or aroma. Very thin texture and minimal taste. Smooth going down. Not very good, even at low price point. (154 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The taste is ok; clean and crisp, if not very basic. This is however one skunks and funky smelling brew. I know it has a cult status amongst hipsters, but I fail to see the appeal besides the cheap price. You get what you pay for I suppose. (240 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +42.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Good ole PBR! If you want a cheap beer that's better than bud, coors or miller then it's PBR. Golden Yellow with a nice foam head. Tastes like high school prom and finger banging Mary Jane rottencrotch in the back of my Trans Am on a backroad in Oklahoma. I'd recommend this beer to anyone. $9 for a 12 pack and surpasses every beer in it's class. (347 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Reviewing solely on taste, not value, since I've never personally bought PBR.
PBR isn't terrible, but it's agreeably bland and tasteless. Like an economy towel you buy at a department store or an aging housewife with no hobbies.
Not interesting, and nothing special. I'd pick it up at the right dive bar over other light / stock beers any day of the week, but I also would normally be drinking something better. (412 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -34.1%

This beer reminds me of the time I licked Stacie Andersons azz hole (my high school sweetheart) it looked good, smelled okay but of coarse it tasted like crap. (159 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -25.3%

I can't be too hard on PBR. For the price, its the best cheap beer out there, and definitely the beer of choice if I just want to get drunk with friends. Definitely outcompetes Nattie Light, Busch Light, and all that other stuff (228 characters)

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company