2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
View: Beers (57) |  Events
Ratings: 3,698 | Reviews: 1,466 | Show All Ratings:
Photo of

2.88/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours very light yellow with little head retention and no aroma. Very light mouthfeel. Drinkability is good. I don't like light American Lager, but I can enjoy a PBR. It has little flavor, but the flavor it has is good. I've had people try to tell me before that it's an image thing. Bull crap. PBR tastes better than the other big American lagers.

11-03-2010 00:55:13 | More by
tewaris

Being in a bar with nothing exciting on tap and "domestics" cheap, I thought I'd finally review the hipster nectar.

Looks clear and light golden in the shaker pint glass with no head retention or lacing whatsoever. There is some sweetness in the smell but that's about it; very characterless smell. Taste is of lightly sweetened, carbonated water with some malty feel in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is watery, with a medium finish. Drinkability score follows from the other categories.

11-02-2010 01:39:58 | More by tewaris
beersensei305

3.7/5  rDev +25.4%

I've had this lager in a can, bottle, and off of a tap. It pours a pale yellow with a big head that disaptes quickly and leaves some light lacing. The smell is a sweet malt and grain with a slight hint of hops. This lager tastes light and clean. Has a smooth mouthfeel and quick refreshing. This lager beats out any of the big three in taste and it works well for those on a budget.

10-17-2010 13:11:10 | More by beersensei305
TheKingofWichita

Its one of those beers that some people hate and some people love. I'm really in the middle on this one and I can't really choose either way. If I have to drink it I will only drink it cold. If it warms too much it tastes like piss. Some people despise it, but I think they are truly missing the point of it -- its meant to taste the way that it does because it is the 'blue collar' beer. Its not supposed to be the BA beer or the 'rich guys' beer. It is a simple brew and if you don't like it, don't drink it. If you do, then cheers!
Pours a clear yellow color with a two finger white head and a little lacing. Smells of corn, grain, and some sweet malts. Has a pretty good malt character to the taste as well as the slightest undertone of hops. Mouthfeel is fairly thin but the carbonation backs it up and adds a certain smoothness. Drinkability is average.
Bottom line: A pretty cheap average beer.

10-11-2010 21:24:03 | More by TheKingofWichita
birdyone

Rhode Island

3.33/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Nothin' like a "Peebr." Haven't decided if that's good or bad.

Looks- Pale/yellow/clear. Let's face it, it looks the same going in as it does coming out.

Smell- Smells like beer.

Taste- I have to admit though, it's pretty good. For a 1 dollar draft. The cans you really can't beat for price. It far surpasses the other beers I have drank in the same price range.

Mouthfeel- Not bad, but not a beer I let linger on my taste buds.

Drinkabilty- Great. Cost wise, you can drink a lot of it. Filling wise, you can drink a lot of it. But it has it's place; ball games, camping trips, bon fires.

I'm giving this beer higher marks based on the price. Compared to others in this price range it really isn't bad at all. And who hasn't had an experience with PBR that wasn't a good time?

10-02-2010 20:58:05 | More by birdyone
Photo of

2.17/5  rDev -26.4%

Blue collar water, this beer can be consumed warm or cold as it doesn't have much taste at either extreme. A cold one can be refreshing after a long day on the farm, a warm mug full can be choked down on a college night.

Appearance: Same going in as it is coming out, A medium yellow color. Pours with a finger of head, leaves little lacing
Smell: Smells of a frat party- cheap malts and mild hops
Taste: Always goes down smooth, warm or cold
Mouth feel: Similar to that of water
Drinkability: The smooth flow of this american favorite gives it a 3.

Overall this beer tends to be a forgotten favorite, an ol friend that should be revisited after a long hot day of work.

09-07-2010 00:37:23 | More by
Cubsfan1087

Iowa

3.7/5  rDev +25.4%

I've been drinking PBR quite a bit at our local Bierstube, can't pass up the cheap special. PBR is your typical light beer, but I find it to be a better option at times than Bud Light or Coors Light if you're out at the bars (always a better option than Miller Lite). PBR is a light golden color. There isn't a great deal of taste or smell with this beer. You get exactly what you pay for. It is easy to drink several in one sitting. Everyone should try PBR at least once.

08-25-2010 03:53:44 | More by Cubsfan1087
jsprain1

3.63/5  rDev +23.1%

A- Clear golden, with a pretty good head for an adjunct.
S- Smell is of grain, some corn. Pretty clean and inoffensive, but in the case of an AAL, that is a plus.
T- Corn, grain, and some floral hops. There is none of that DMS presence when on tap as the increased carbonation presence scrubs the bad flavors away it seems.
M- Full bodied, as far as AAL's go. High carbonation for style especially being on tap.
O- It is made for the long nights of indulgence. This beer is head and shoulders my favorite macro AAL. It is actually a beer I regularly purchase when I am too tired to deal with complex beers.

08-10-2010 06:44:03 | More by jsprain1
JunkYardJake

3.23/5  rDev +9.5%

On-tap at TJ Rockwells.
Served to me in a mason jar as their current throwback beer. Pale yellow with very little head by the time it hit the table. Smells clean and a little sweet. Taste follows the nose with a malt and adjunct sweetness. Again, very clean with no off flavors. Crisp and refreshing with a good amount of carbonation. A solid representation of the classic fizzy yellow American lager.

08-07-2010 16:01:40 | More by JunkYardJake
Jayli

3.83/5  rDev +29.8%

Had on tap at The Stockyard in Brighton, MA
Served in a pint glass

A: This beer pours a translucent light, straw, yellow with a 1/4 inch of white head. Head disappears instantly leaving no lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is grainy, corn, and some grassy hop notes.

T: Taste is somewhat typical adjuncts but bolder bodied. Thick grain and corn notes, hints of pale malts, and the finish has a nice grassy, earthy hops to it. It's not strong, but it gives this beer more flavor than your typical macro's.

M: Light body, moderate to high carbonation, clean, crisp body.

D: Goes down very easy, not much of a give, not filling, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this beer. This one is that you can put a few back easily.

07-31-2010 01:31:37 | More by Jayli
mrkc

Alaska

3.73/5  rDev +26.4%

Oh poor maligned Pabst Blue Ribbon, how times have changed. It used to be drinking you made one elitist, and a snob. Now, it makes one common, and unrefined. Time has not been kind to you, Blue Ribbon, and your red, white and blue can, while elegant in its simplicity, has become much derrided. I applaud you for not slipping into becoming mindlessly hip, as others have tried to do.

You're fine in your can, but when you're sold for 3 dollars a glass on Tap, you really shine. Fresh, clean, with a clear filtered liquid, it's easy to see where the comparisons to urine came from, but this is the derision of mob which has turned against you. You smell of sweet grain, faint and not overpowering. This is where your can fails you, as it isolate our nose from the drinking experience.

Your light body compliments most food one would eat in a bar perfectly, from the burger, to the chicken strips. A joy of my own is using you to cook noodles, an idea that came to me when I had too little water to finish a dish. You have not given in to the hops-ridden madness that is in vogue today, and instead you focus on having a pure grain taste, with a light body and a crisp mouthfeel. The yeast leaves just a slight feeling of bread. You do not overwhelm, but complement. You are the coda of a symphony. You are the perfect session drink, capable of being consumed for hours, both to your lighter alcohol content, as well as your other qualities. Raphael's masterpiece you are not, but you are worth for what you aspire to be.

06-20-2010 03:26:59 | More by mrkc
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

3.53/5  rDev +19.7%

This beer is an old friend from long ago and when I saw it on tap at the Burger Bar (Las Vegas) I had one for old times sake.

Not sure about other beers in this style (on tap) because I don't come across any, but this looked fine, golden, bright and clear, with a good white head on top.

No real aroma to get your nose round, hints of a hop maybe, but gets my regular score of three for a non-smelling lager/pilsner.

Refreshing and thirst quenching, just like a lager should be, ideal throat cleaner before I hit the bars heavy brews.

I enjoyed it, brought back a couple of memories of drunken sports fields and tins laying around, happy days.

05-25-2010 07:23:27 | More by BlackHaddock
velkyal

1.05/5  rDev -64.4%

Appearance - like fizzy bear urine
Smell - slightly malty bear urine
Taste - was there?
Mouthfeel - about 2 seconds before spitting it out
Drinkability - erm no.

Simply foul and not worthy of the term "beer". I would rather never drink again than go anywhere near this muck again.

05-19-2010 13:42:41 | More by velkyal
jmbranum

Oklahoma

3.6/5  rDev +22%

Drinking on tap tonight at Texadelphia in Norman, OK

Clear golden brew with almost no head. Minimal crisp aroma.

Flavor is decent for the style. Crisp and clean. Nice amount of grain. Some hops in the background. No creepy macro aftertaste. Fairly simple but they pull off what most macros can't pull off --- it actually tastes good.

Mouthfeel is outstanding. The best I've experienced in a macro. It actually has some substance.

Best choice for a domestic macro. Not great compared to micros but for what it is, it's pretty respectable.

03-23-2010 01:34:46 | More by jmbranum
morebeergood

2.68/5  rDev -9.2%

Tonight, I was at dinner with friends at PF Changs, so not a great beer selection to begin with. I see PBR drafts for $2.75 on the menu, and think it's too cheap to pass up. Served in tall pilsner glasses. Clear yellow body. Thin bubbly head. Plenty of carbonation. Smell and taste were average macro flavors: corn, adjuncts, and a bit of malt. Not a horrible flavor, but nothing to write home about. Mediocre but not appalling. Mouthfeel was fizzy but oddly refreshing. Decent pairing with spicy Mongolian beef entree. Slightly more drinkable and enjoyable than BMC.

03-21-2010 04:51:42 | More by morebeergood
corpulent

Nevada

1.1/5  rDev -62.7%

The $1 I spent on a 32 oz. mug of this would have found a better home in the jukebox playing some Winger song.

Yeah I get it, PBR is a staple for some; an old historic beer that daddy and grandpappy used to imbibe. Cheap, too. Hobo's choice.

Looks like an average beer, smells sour. A few drinks in and my breath is so rank I have inadvertently pushed my companions and other bar patrons to a 4 foot radius around me. Sits heavy in my gut. To this day, it's the only beer I have been unable to finish, and I grew up on Rainier, Keystone, Milwaukee's Best, and Old English.

PBR's only redeeming quality is Frank Booth's ringing endorsement from "Blue Velvet."

03-04-2010 22:26:39 | More by corpulent
SDHoffers

1.98/5  rDev -32.9%

Why did I drink this...because I was thirsty. There really was no other reason except that I just didn't want to have tap water. In it's credit, it really is better than the huge macro light beers. Not a bad quencher for a hot summer day while doing yard work though. Taste and smell were almost non-existent. Mouthfeel was like soda water with a little beer flavoring. I really hate to beer bash because someone probably put their heart and soul into brewing this so I'm not going to say I hate it but it is difficult. I have noticed a recent trend for this beer lately so I put it on tap for Oktoberfest. I never heard the end of that one. Needless to say, it won't make another appearance. If you like the F.Y.B. style then hey, knock yourself out.

02-12-2010 16:49:48 | More by SDHoffers
AmberMan22

3.38/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

$2 PBR pitcher night can get you into trouble.

Pours like any other macro, fairly light colored, highly carbonated.

Smell is actually better than most from the category, in my opinion. It has almost a sweet, doughy sensation to it.

I'd also have to give the nod to this on taste as well. Whatever it is producing that better smell is lending itself to better flavor. Otherwise, fairly unremarkable.

Mouthfeel however carries too much carbonation and is overall simply weak.

On the whole, 3.5 for drink because it's above average compared to it's competition. I definitely don't mind drinking this one.

02-06-2010 18:09:06 | More by AmberMan22
boatshoes

So...only really reviewing this because I said to myself that I was going to try to review every beer that I have now that I haven't reviewed before. Not my first time with this but had it on tap last weekend and took some notes...

Appearance- What can I say exactly...this looks like the epitomy of fizzy yellow macro. A pitcher of this only yielded about a half a finger of sodalike head that immediately fizzed out. Some carbonation remained throughout the body however, again similar to soda-pop. Not the worst looking beer I've ever seen, but it sure does look pretty much like I'd envision corn flavored soda.

Smell- Hmm, some words popped into my mind here which are both unflattering and colorful, but I'm going to do my best be both gentleman and scholar in my description. First off, smells faintly of corn and random adjunct. This isn't what really gets me, the part that bothers me is there is another faint smell that I can't shake and can best be described as a touch of egg-fart. Its a somewhat odd sulfurous quality that I just can't seem to get around but that I regardless find a bit unpleasant.

Taste- Run of the mill and disappointing. What little flavors going on in this beer are very watered down. Some corn again, metallic bits, and a very very faint graininess. My buddy, who is quite fond of PBR, refers to this beautiful bouquet as a "treated water" taste. Whatever it is, I find the combination to be rather disappointing.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Thin thin thin. I suppose that the thinness combined with the watered down flavor profile of this beer should make it drinkable. However, I don't find anything in the flavor to keep me interested or make me continue drinking, which doesn't leave me wanting to have another.

Overall, I can't really distinguish why this loved particularly more than any other macro other than the marketing campaign behind it. For me, the current standard for a decent macro lager that is refreshing with some flavor is Schlitz Gusto. I find this one to be far short of that and much in line with all the other macros I've had.

02-04-2010 23:00:18 | More by boatshoes
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.8/5  rDev +28.8%

Drank this one on tap (16 oz.) at Carrollton Station in New Orleans. PBR has a thick head and is slightly more golden than the typical straw color of this style. It is clear and bubbly. The taste is pretty much the same as all the other common beers in this category, but it's really good. I find it has a grain taste, with faint metallic notes, and the classic bite of American style lager. Mouthfeel is watery and light. PBR is very fine and holds its own against all others in its class.

RJT

01-01-2010 02:01:41 | More by RonaldTheriot
Durge

Connecticut

3.3/5  rDev +11.9%

This is a very pale copper yellow color, clear with minor carbonation. The head quickly resolves to a thin white ring. Lacing is short lived. The aroma is mild cereal with a kiss of lemon. The taste is simple bread and slightly spicey citrus. A little bit of bite from the carbonation so it's reasonably refreshing, though not over bubbly. Certainly very drinkable. Nothing horribly wrong here, better than a lot of easy drinking macro types.

12-30-2009 07:17:48 | More by Durge
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.95/5  rDev 0%

Consumed right in the heart of Milwaukee's East Side, the Skidmark, er Landmark Lanes. Pours all yellow like it has nobody to impress. Smell, more of that typical Miller old stale couch with beer spilled on it smell that is somehow getting kitcsch value points for memories or something.

Taste is enhanced by a decent yeast strain that is marginally sweet. Minimal hop presence, probably something like East Kent Goldings or Glacier. Those seem to be always used when you can't taste much hops. Mouthfeel, meh. But, hey this stuff is very drinkable, they get better the more you have.

12-24-2009 17:46:50 | More by Beerandraiderfan
bbkd3b

2.8/5  rDev -5.1%

On tap, poured into a pint glass.

A: Pale straw color, looks like a macro. There's 1-finger head that dissipates pretty quickly. There's almost no carbonation to be seen, and no lacing.

S: Really light smelling. Touches of hops, and there's definitely corn in the scent. Really... really faint malts.

T: Not too bad, all in all. The hops are the foremost thing when it's cold. KEEP IT COLD! Otherwise that corn will takeover and make you frown a bit. :(

M: Surprisingly decent mouthfeel. The carbonation looks weak but feels good on the tongue. Body is on the thin side, but not bad or anything. Sorta bitter aftertaste.

D: Eh... for the price, I'll buy 'em. That aftertaste got worse on the second one though, and I just didn't want to go back.

Overall/notes: I bowled a 202 game (first over 200, pretty awesome) and this was the best the bowling alley had to offer. I'm not disappointed at all. I mean, it works for what it is, and that's fine with me! There are better out there, but not too bad.

12-22-2009 04:49:20 | More by bbkd3b
dude

As a 36 year old mom jean wearing non-hipster I cannot explain my fondness for this brew. Is it the centuries old award for which this beer is named? Is it the "its not Bud" factor? Is it the dirt cheap price? All possible. On tap is my preferred method of consuming mass quantities of this classic. Its slightly sweeter tasting this way and has no unpleasant vegetal flavor that is common to the canned version. After 1-2 $2 pints of this bad boy the drinkability is off the charts!

11-21-2009 19:30:40 | More by dude
stangski83

3.85/5  rDev +30.5%

Okay, clearly nothing special here, but at $56 for a 1/2 barrel, it's currently filling my kegarator as the go-to beer when we want to save the good stuff. Here's the run down: Best friend, co-workers, girlfriend, and even my mother will gladly hit the tap for this stuff, so it has proved its worth at least in some form. I'm tired of giving my dough to the big 3 for a "family friendly" beer!!!

Last two 1/2 barrel kegs were okay but not "family" hits like the PBR....
(Keg 1: Founder's Cerise - fruity beer wasn't for everybody) and (Keg 2: Bud Slight - extra skunky but easily emptied)

Honestly, it's kind of like we returned to the 60's or 70's and retraced our family roots. Pabst has returned in a family friendly way for our family. Being within driving distance of 3 Floyds, Goose Island, Flossmoor, Half Acre, Lakefront, Capital, Tyranena, Leinie's, Two Brothers, New Holland, and Bell's has it's advantages...but those kegs end up being for me and not a share-able experience.

So sometimes, the family needs something basic. And Pabst does the job. So, a night of cards, board games, a backyard fire, and Pabst works out. Even for the beer snob in the family.

11-08-2009 21:29:48 | More by stangski83