Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

- ABV% 4.74
- Calories 144
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev +19.5%

2.14/5  rDev -27%

Smells kinda like cheap stale beer and water. A bit of a sweet and sour thing also. Pretty neutral flavor. A bit sweeter up front, but then a hit of sour/gross and a big bite of carbonation come in and scrub the palate to the finish. Stale beer, water and infected cider are the only flavor descriptors I can think of. Short, but not very pleasant finish keeps me cringing till the end. This one might actually be better in the glass than it is out of the can. So many beers in this category get away with just being inoffensive and flavorless, but PBR doesn't quite pull that off for me.

2.53/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

has a nice pure golden color to it but no foam at all. smell is of corn and water very little if any real malt or hop presence..
taste is pretty boring it isnt bad just a generic lager without alot to it.overall not a real exciting or different beer but not a bad one

2.82/5  rDev -3.8%

From yestarday's notes.

A-Completely clear gold leaf. White head is thicker than expected and stayed a good two minutes. Bubbles are spread out evenly and rise all over the place. Kind of elegant.

S-I don't like this smell. A classic BMC, Molson, Labatt corn-rice-I-don't-know-what-it-is-but-it-smells-toxic smell. I hate smelling this. It's like my animal instincts telling me: ''don't drink this''.

T-Not as bad as I remember it being Last time I had this, maybe 3 or 4 years ago, I remember it being very sweet and sickening to me but no so much now. Apart from the chemical bitterness, it's actually pretty good. An apple aroma is present throughout. Watery but it works with the beer.

M- Surprisingly low carbonation. Not very dry. Watery but I can't say it's thin.

D-Easy to drink but it's too nasty to want to drink lot's of it.

Some of my friends love this. I actually want to like it because it would be a good alternative to Budweiser or Molson but this just isn't good.
I tried to rate this according to style.

2.98/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a very light pale yellow and is very clear. It has a soapy type head that dissipates fairly quickly. The smell is very faint and slightly sweet. The creamy mouthfeel is well above all the other big macro brews. The taste is fair with no off tastes at all. Just lacking in distinct character. There are actually slight hints of hops in this brew. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it in bottles, so I had to pour mine out of a can. Very drinkable! Cheap Cheers!

2.5/5  rDev -14.7%

3.55/5  rDev +21.2%

PBR is what it is.
It has a fizzy, carbonated look with barely any head.
The smell is almost nothing, a little bit of hops and floral smell.
The taste is a little better than most American Macro Lagers. It has a bit of a floral taste to it, which sets it apart.
The mouthfeel is fizzy, but a bit of a thickness to it for a Macro.
And as with most macros, the drinkability is top notch. Had a good amount of these last night and could have had more.

2.6/5  rDev -11.3%

Okay so Pabst isn't what I remembered, look at original can review and you will see that I didn't mind it. Pours a very light yellow with little to no head at all. Not much lacing to speak of either. Smell is grain and earth tones, slight metallic. Taste is of grain and very watered down, not bad for the price but still not good. Metallic hints as well. Feels light and flat in mouth, drinkable only on those sweaty days doing yard work.

3.28/5  rDev +11.9%

The six-pack carrier showed the Gold medal for 2006 American Style Lager at the GABF. Didn't know this.

Pours into my futuristic bulbous Sam Adams glass a brilliantly clear pale gold color with a loose and audible 1/2" white head. Not too much carbonation rising. Some good thin lacing working.

Bright freshness in the nose of minerally lager yeast, some malt and an earthy, wet stone scent. A little lemon zest too.

Flavors are quick and fleeting with a nice stony dryness at the end. The paleness of this lager is tasty but very short lived.

Mouthfeel is nice. Quick assertive carbonation that is prickly yet very fine. Light bodied with a great long and dry finish.

Drinkability is good. Very unintrusive and would go well with many standard dishes.

Overall this lager's dryness and texture really sets it apart from most macros I've tasted. No funky flavors, just a nice tame character that's easy and breezy. A good non-thinking beer.

2.48/5  rDev -15.4%

Apperance isn't impressive in any respect. The head is all but dissapered and the lacing almost dissapears right away. The color is the clear yellowish color you would find in many macros.

I can barely smell anything, but I do smell a little something without malts and no hops, but a funny off flavor is in the smell.

Taste isn't horrible for a macro, it doesn't leave a crap taste in your mouth and the nose isn't crappy tasting.

Mouthfeel reminds me of ice water even though it was warmed. Not impressive, but not off-putting.

I will keep this one as my session beer.

3.54/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is the Canadian version, stated as "Strong Beer", and is 5.9% alc/vol....

A- Pours a clear, albeit slightly chill hazed, dry grassy color. Carbonation is typically big and aggressive looking. The head is very white, fizzy, and settles down to a thin bubbly patchwork of foam. Lacing....it looks like it might stick to the glass, but then slowly slides back into the beer. Overall, this doesn't look like anything special....

S- Surprisingly, I actually smell a mild malt profile, and no, there isn't really any adjunct laden aromas hidden in there either. The finish has a modest hop character too. I'm actually kind of impressed with the aromas here!

T- The flavors for the most part follow what the aromas promised, mild malt sweetness mixed in with a finish that actually has a moderate hoppiness! I will say that there is just a touch of alcohol noticed on the palate as well, but oh well!

M- Clean, light bodied, and fizzy, yet there is enough flavor after the swallow to remind me that I just had some beer in my mouth! I can actually appreciate what the brewer was going for here....

O- For the style of adjunct lager, PBR is a bar setter! Not a perfect beer, but for something that isn't all malt, you don't notice it and there is some decent flavor and mouthfeel. I recommend this for sure and will definitely seek it out again....great price for a sixer and great beer for the style!

3.3/5  rDev +12.6%

Thin, yellow, small white head falls off fast.

Smell is malty and kind of sweet.

Taste is much better than I remembered from my younger days. Malty, sweet, maybe a hint of hops. Some yeast and bread flavors too.

Mouthfeel is thin American Macro Brew.

Drinkability is pretty good. Lawnmower beer, hot days beer, BBQ on the beach beer, call it what you want. It's not really bad to drink at all for cheap stuff. I will buy some again when in the appropriate mood.

3.43/5  rDev +17.1%

OK, so no reason I have not reviewed this other than usually when I buy PBR I am going on a camping trip, a tail gating event, or a some outdoor thing when I want a decent brew for nothing but the lowest cost. So with that said, no computer at those events. Well today I am gearing up for the first "pre-spring" grill out and have a second to review...

Poured from the "Blue-Ribbon" can into a glass this brew has a thin looking golden wheat color with a little white head that fizzles down to nothing. The aroma is of yeast, rice, corn and light malts. The taste is clean (a little watery), nice crisp carbonation, and some light alcohol after taste. Honestly on a day when all I did was house work and had a mighty thirst, this hit the spot. For the price almost can't beat.

3.5/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

a- can poured into a pint, one finger bubbly head, loads of carbonation, clear yellow color, great lacing, ring around the glass.

s- bright, slight corn/grain, slight hops come through too, the nose is better than i thought it'd be.

t- tang of hops, underlying grain, just a slight hint of skunk, finishes smooth.

m- little on the thin side.

d- very drinkable, super cheap, refreshing, i think this is my new go to 30-pack for 13 dollars, crazy, nice hop smack though, perfect for a session on a nice hot day.

3.68/5  rDev +25.6%

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)
ABV: 4.74 %

Poured from a can to a beer clean pint glass.

I have not have one of these in years. I must admit I was skeptical at first...
Will it be horrible?
Is the recent trend the saving grace?
Can I actually finish a can of such cheap swill?
I have had 2 in my fridge leftover someone brought to a party, so I decided to give it a formal objective review.

Appearance is pale straw in color, appropriatte clarity, nominal visible carbonation. Formed a semi respectable 1 finger head, with a wee bit retention & lace. Better presentation than most in this style (BMC prodcuts).
Smell was nominal if any at all. Maybe a bit of malt, a dash of hops or skunk, cant decide which...
Taste is surprising better than I expected. Has a nice light crisp taste, balanced well. A light malt taste equally supported by a conservative hop balance.
Mouthfeel is light body, but a tad more than most other BMC type products. Medium to high carbonation.
I rate this a solid 4.0 on drinkability for this style. Cheaper than most BMC products, equal or better in taste, appearance and motuhfeel. I may found a new alternative when I am on my rare pursuit of cheap swill. Sorry Miller High Life & Genny Cream Ale, you may just got some new competition!

(Although I was surprised, I still feel pretty confident that said can #2 will remain in my fridge for a long while. It's not to tempting with a full stocked cellar of homebrews)

3.73/5  rDev +27.3%

A-Poured into a frozen mug. It has a thick fizzy white head that is lasting much longer than expected. As for the color of the beer itself, typical pale straw color.

S-Grainy/corn adjunct notes. It smells somewhat musty. Overall generic beer smell the style is famous for.

T-The slightest of hop bitterness followed by malty sweetness. Grain flavor is present as usual but finishes clean. Not much flavor but what does exist is good for the style.

M-Thin and watery.

D-Great session beer alongside of non-craft friends or when you just want to drink something cheap.

Overall, I prefer this is bottle form and straight from the bottle at that.

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) from Pabst Brewing Company