Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR)

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.74% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) Alström Bros

Moose90, Mar 03, 2013

jscheuf, Nov 05, 2013

green_plastic, Jul 22, 2014
2.35/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a pale yellow color with a white head that quickly recedes to a ring around the glass. Smells of weak malts and alcohol. Taste is very easy going, balanced between a touch of hops and a touch of malt with a little bit of corn thrown in there. It is pretty refreshing and has a clean finish. Has a thin mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Overall, its a fine party beer, but not something I'll choose to drink for taste.

EDIT: Still not sure why this is the official drink of hipsters...

gkunkle, Oct 31, 2010

Kingcurio, May 21, 2013

BrooklynPanch, Jan 21, 2014

AlpacaAlpaca, Jun 26, 2014
3.85/5  rDev +31%

My go-to lager. I don't care what anyone says but this is the best of the style and I never get sick of it. After drinking this for a while, going back to other macro lagers is about impossible.

Appearance is clear gold with a quick fizzy white head. Doesn't stand out against any other lager, but it is good enough for me to want to drink it.

Smell is not spectacular. Same grainy smell as any other of the style. It smells like beer but not as strong as the "others"

Taste is very inoffensive. It has that light crisp taste that fits with the style, but surprisingly more clean than its competitors. There is only a light adjunct flavor here. This tastes good, without considering the price...but when that factors in you must be crazy to have any other preference.

Carbonation is on the heavy side, but its not too bad. It is perfect to go along with the flavors but doesn't contribute to a great mouthfeel. Oh well, thats a sacrifice thats ok with me. Drinkability is incredible. This is my choice
"party beer" for that reason. Taking big sips of this is great, and sessioning this all night is great.

This beer might not be my favorite as a beer and compared to crafts, but its the perfect beer for the most occasions. Chases most food really well, good party beer, and something to drink while watching sports/TV/movies. I'm also broke right now so this is always in my fridge.

jeffthecheff, Nov 25, 2008

ScubaSteve00, Jan 02, 2012
3.08/5  rDev +4.8%

12oz bottle from Purvis Beer, poured into a Mikkeller tulip.

Real light golden colour, very clear appearance, nearly to the point where i could read my calendar through it! White head of foam that depletes too fast.

Smell starts out as corn then evolves into rice runnings. Then a clean, dry grain smell emerges.

Tastes of grain, with some corn backing. Little bit of a hop finish. Later on the flavour of white-rice runnings emerges.

Mouthfeel is decent, the hop finish adds a bit of interest. Moderate body.

I've had plenty worse, especially for the style. Decent enough adjunct.

MrKennedy, Jan 01, 2012
3.23/5  rDev +9.9%

"Not gonna lie to ya, I'm down to drink some Pabst."

Darn tootin'.

A- Clear yellow liquid in a dimpled stein. A little more robust color than most adjunct lagers. A modestly impressive head forms from a moderately aggressive pour; thick, rich and creamy looking. However, it quickly fades to nothing. Mildly lively, some visible carbonation visible.

S- Behind the corn huskiness is a sweeter aroma of cheap barely. The hop aroma is the best feature of the aroma; twangy and crisp. A brighter smelling beer.

T- Starts of with watered down barely tastes, moves to slightly harsh adjuncts and finishes on a mellow hops taste. Almost a creamy lingering adjunct finish. While not totally absent, PBR lacks that harsh metallic taste in a lot of AAL's.

M- Quite thin, of course. Lacking body but not overwhelmingly carbonated.

D- Drinkability is high, due to a better flavor profile than the others and a overall more laid back drinking sensation to me. Easily my favorite of all the "big" adjunct lagers.

SamN, Nov 30, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +27.6%

tabascosigned, Jun 29, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -23.5%

zestd, Feb 04, 2014

KolbMarley, Aug 08, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -23.5%

On any given Friday or Saturday night, you can catch me with an ice cold can of PBR in hand. It's kind of cheesy, to be sure, but I've got several reasons to justify my drink of choice:

1. Price. My PBR habit was born out of pure desperation. It only costs $1.50 at most bars. Drop 50 cents into the tip jar and you're all set for a cheap evening out at two bucks a drink! Woo-hoo! Meanwhile, my friends are buying expensive lagers, mixed drinks and such for upwards of three or four dollars a drink. Who comes out ahead in the end here, hmmm?

2. Taste. I've always been a cheap beer drinker. I love all the "lite," watery-tasting beers (not to mention that they are half the calories of regular beers, which is an added bonus). Note: PBR is not a low-calorie beer, but that's okay because it's a low-cost beer and life is full of difficult decisions. Sometimes cheap is just more important.

PBR is somewhat watery tasting-- not quite as full-bodied, if you will, as expensive beers-- but that's what I love about it. Actually, now that I'm a certified (or certifiable?) PBR addict, I'm finding it somewhat difficult to drink more expensive beers because they taste extremely different... strange, even. My friends try to tell me that most beers taste different because they're better than PBR, but I tend to disagree. Those so-called better beers mostly just taste bitter to me. Why drink bitter when you can drink bland, hmmm?

PBR is not, however, a dinner beer. For some reason I have a hard time drinking my PBRs with food. It's just not a good combination at all! Maybe that's why most restaurants don't serve it?

3. Respect. That's right. For some reason, drinking a PBR seems to garner a certain amount of respect from other bar patrons. People assume that you must be a really tough person to actually be drinking a PBR. It seems to say, 'Check me out. I'm wild, I'm crazy. I'm not afraid of anything. Watch out!' I think this is especially true sometimes for me because I'm female. As an added bonus, I've discovered men seem to totally dig the idea of women drinking PBR. Maybe it's that whole wild and crazy thing...

Rootdog316, Nov 01, 2005
2.6/5  rDev -11.6%

Ah yes, good old dollar-a-can PBRs. The cheapest beer you can find in a bar. I didn't bother pouring this one into anything just chugged it from the can. Tastes like any other mass produced lager. Drink it with your buddies and don't forget to tip your bartender for having to get you so many!

Portertime, Apr 16, 2008
2.95/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Pours a golden yellow with a surprisingly large pillowy-white head that settles slowly to a bubbly film.

S: Funky, yet sweet grains. Not offensive, but definitely unpleasant.

T&M: Actually pretty good for a "macro" lager. The main positive is that the funky adjunct flavors aren't offensive like in most other beers of this style. There's still a dearth of any discernible flavor beyond the grain malt, however. Body is light, with a less harsh carbonation than others in the style.

D: PBR is a highly drinkable macro lager--it's flavors aren't offensive and it's rather refreshing. The only reason I gave it a formal review is that it's relatively hard to find in Alabama.

BamaBeerBuff, Jun 29, 2008