Old Milwaukee Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

Ratings: 696 | Reviews: 247
Reviews by BEERME528:
1.53/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This stuff is just nasty. It seems like anything that has Milwaukee on the label is just undrinkable. It has to be the worst of the value brands. I have to cringe in order to swallow it and I only do so when I have a strong desire to be drunk. Consider brushing your teeth after drinking one of these if you want anyone to talk to you.

3.32/5  rDev +43.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 OZ can into a pint glass.
Aroma- Grain, barley and corn!!!
Appearance- A pale clear yellow color with a large white head.
Taste- Typical AAL but not bad, consider the price and the total disdain most have this is better than what most people make it out to be.
Palate- A light bodied beer with moderate carbonation, has a smooth crisp finish
Overall- This brought me way back to my days in the Marines, "Old Milwaukee" beer tents out in the field. It tasted better back then, but hey it isn't horrible now.

3.45/5  rDev +48.7%

$1.50 12 oz bottle at Old Fashioned in Madison, WI. Ugly new label tries to court nostalgic but ends up offending them. Pours light yellow with some bubbles and a nice white lacing. Ultra transparent. Smells like…not much. Maybe a little corn and some veggies but really not a whole lot. Smooth and creamy with almost no taste. There could be malt and/or hops in this beer but its difficult to tell. There could also be corn or rice but again, I can’t taste much of anything. Drinks well though. Goes right down. Tastes clean. No noticeable adjuncts at least. Not overly sweet or carbonated. Just perfectly balanced, balanced…on nothingness. I’ll take a PBR over this but it beets most of the other cheap swill out there.

2.44/5  rDev +5.2%

Presentation: 40 oz cheap brown glass bottle with a twist off soda pop-like cap. No freshness date.

Appearance: Very pale yellow in colour, the clear clarity of a beer that was ultra filtered. White lace surprisingly stays for a while and sticks a bit.

Smell: Cooked corn in the aroma, an off smell of DMS (cooked veggie) also.

Taste: Very smooth with a feigned medium body that actually turns out to be light as the crisp carbonation unfolds. Corn grit flavour is all over the place. Malt? Very little malt on the palate, just some grainy flavours. Hops are light and seem to let a bit of cloying sweetness in the middle. Hint of alcohol flares out with a clean presence.

Notes: As close to not having much flavour at all, oddly it was not that bad going down compared to other cheap American lagers. This is the stuff to get when you only have a couple bucks in your pocket … good to have every once in a while to get the flavour of cheap lager and realize that there are so many great beers out there other than this.

2.35/5  rDev +1.3%

This pours with very little excitement. The nose gets the odor of corn and oats. Taste is sweet and dry, but with a very grainy, chemical like finish. The malted cereal grains are the big player in this brew. This is a very cheap beer. next time i'll spend the extra for Pabst Blue Ribbon.

2.08/5  rDev -10.3%

OK I know I'm scrapin the bottom of the barrel here, but we all need to consume some mass produced crap to keep us honest and keep us abreast of what is out there. This stuff is, suprise, piss yellow with a large bubble, short lasting head. Not much nose to speak of. Ditto for malt and hops. It is cold and wet and did help me wash down my dinner.

3.67/5  rDev +58.2%

No need to rate the appearance, as I drank it straight from the can. Before I review this beer, its been interesting for me reading about so many different beers, and how they rate on this site. One person may rate a beer close to a 5, and following that rating could be a 2 or lower. It truly does show, that taste is truly subjective. In other words, one mans paradise, can be another mans garbage indeed.

As much as I love a good craft beer, Samuel Adams being my all time favorite, closely followed by Highlands Gaelic Ale, Ive been searching for something that when funds are low, would make for a good go to beer. Genesee beer, is one that fit the bill for me (pardon the pun) But now Ive had the pleasure of trying Old Milwaukee. So now for my review.

S. Grains upfront, sort of sweet smelling. Not offensive at all.

T. Definitely what one would expect from a macro, and thats what I expected. Cereal grains, however a very nice malty taste as well. I realy enjoy the flavor of this versus a Budweiser, Miller, as this has much more of a bite with more flavor then the aforementioned.

M. Medium carbonation, not bland or watery but just right.

O. If anyone is feeling the pinch of how expensive things are getting these days, wich Im sure alot of folks are. I recommend giving Old Milwaukee a try. Its quite refreshing and quenching, a great working mans beer sure to satisfy!!

2.66/5  rDev +14.7%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

Bought a 12 pack of this because they say this is Americas best tasting beer, and if you don't agree you'll get your money back. So I'm giving it a shot, if it's my best reviewed beer I won't ask for my money back.

Pours a very clear light yellow with a nice big fluffy white head. Nose is bad, it's a kind of stale hop lager nose that you get from all BMC beer.

Taste is actually not too bad for this style. It's not a great beer but it's got a nice malt character to it. The body strongly suffers from the adjuncts but there's still a nice hint here in the body. There's no hops to speak of. Mouthfeel isn't too bad, fairly creamy and thick - relatively speaking.

Overall I'd say it's a fairly easy drinking beer. Good for a game of beer pong or something like that, but if I'm going to sit down and relax with a good beer, I won't choose this.

2.65/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Faint yellow, no head. Smells like Milwaukee in the morning (the city).

Taste, eh, I almost wanna say don't go there, but this is a beer review. Hops, malt, yeast, nothing, but there's lots of water in it. Kind of a weird aftertaste and mouthfeel to it, I have no idea what it is, other than not pleasant for the most part. Very cheap, hence, drinkable.

I shit you not this stuff was $29.99 for a 1/2 barrel at Discount Liquors in Milwaukee when I was going to Marquette. How many kegs did we kill of this during the 2003 Final Four run?

2.15/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured the can into a Pilsner glass...

Transparent lightest gold color, wide-bubbled head of a very thin character but better duration than some. Partial ring laces. Aroma is all sweetness, corn and cane sugar. Mouthfeel is thinnish but the carbonation is adequately done. No real sense of hops, malt is sweet and neutral without nasty qualities. Aftertaste is lightly honeyish without the overdone fizziness and mineral water taste of some macros. Cheap and forgetable, but not the worst of drinkabilities in the beer world.

2.6/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Well why not, I had one in the fridge left over from a bbq (I used it to boil brats in).

I poured it from a 16oz can into a mug and the first thought that races through my mind is "why bother." It is a corn pee yellow with a bleached white head that is rocky, consisting of larger bubbles.

Smell is of stale corn and weak malts.

Tastes like a watered down corn lager. Definitely better ice cold because it starts to get rank as it warms. This one taste exactly like the mindless varieties of macro lagers. I would like to know what the legal loop hole is where they can market the phrase on the can "America's best tasting beer." It is not.

A light body and large carbonation does make it a fun beer to drink if you are doing manual labor. Ice one down and shotgun it after mowing the lawn. I will use this one to cook with but thats about it... unless I am in a real pinch.

2.44/5  rDev +5.2%

Color more golden than I'm used to in gas-station lager, but the head goes away quicker than a Kenyan olympic sprinter. Almost no smell, but that's better than being skunky, so I can deal with that. Taste is rather weak, not really malty, not really hoppy, just there. If you had a lickable encyclopedia, this would be your generic example of "beer taste." Unflattering, unrefined, but not really bad either.

Probably one of the most drinkable lagers available at the nearest small gas station. Drinkable, if only just. Not good enough for enthusiasm, not bad enough to slam. It's beer, drink it.

3.05/5  rDev +31.5%

Notice that it says "Old Milwaukee". So good they never bothered with a "New Milwaukee".

Anyhow, for lawnmower beers this rivals PBR as the most drinkable to me. You can taste the malts, which automatically puts it above most macro-lagers. It's refreshing and does what it's supposed to. For that, I'd say not bad.

1.3/5  rDev -44%

I need to finish this review fast because I can't finish the beer.
Pours a light golden yellow with a big white head that disppeared by the time I had turned around to close the refridgerator. No lacing.
Aroma is 'old man beer'...honest that is what I smelled...something very reminiscent of my dad and grandfather and the smell of beer at a ball game.
Taste is sweet cloying malts and corn. Nothing else
Somehow it manages to be both weak and watery leaving you wondering where the flavor is and sticky with an aftertaste that won't go away.
While the American Macro isn't one of my favorite style, this one is one of the worse I've tasted.

3.7/5  rDev +59.5%

Down here (SC) everything is Bud.... so OM isn't that bad !!! Goes down cold nicely. I used to drink this beer back in the early 70's, quantity over quality, and after drinking Bud Light and Miller Lite it's pretty good. Does Bud make anything worth while??

2.44/5  rDev +5.2%

A - Extremely clear and pale yellow brew that almost looks like perry in the glass. A one finger head rises and falls within the span of about three seconds. Absolutely no lace is left on the glass, and swirling produces nothing but a hissing sound like a pissed off snake. But, then again you aren't really supposed to see this stuff are you?

S - Corny and ricey with some vibrant fruit notes that are nice, but barely there.

T - Sweet and corny. I tend to dislike macro lagers that are sweeter, and I tend to like the ones that are tart and twangy...this one leans toward the sweet, but there is a nice hoppy taste in the finish that is more assertive than a lot of other macros. A big metallic flavor is really putting me off though... it tastes like a nickel.

M - Quenching and refreshing. Nice carbonation bite and a slightly dry finish and a really nice flavorful aftertaste.

D - Not bad. For cheapo shit-beer, Heileman's is about the best in the buisness....but they also make PBR and Stag, which are much better beers IMO, but I might buy this again....who knows.

3.03/5  rDev +30.6%

16oz can, nonic, 'JUN2011' on the bottom.

The color is a slightly deeper than usual yellow for macro and the head has pretty impressive retention for the same. There's a profusion of bubbles, the head is rocky, and you still know what it is.

Amazingly, the level of spicy, grassy hops is noticeable. Corn and a bit of DMS are as well.

Taste is heavy on sweet corn but a relatively pleasant little shop of hop oil is there, grassy and herbal.

Bubble, bubbles everywhere is what it feels like. Not quite as thin as some.

I think Old Milwaukee is definitely better than some others in the category and the price point, like PBR, is better than others as well. I suppose it doesn't really matter when you're drinking down on this level, and people who are not BAs and have a favorite macro to the exclusion of all others crack me up. Try Old Milwaukee if you need to drink down for some reason; I don't think you'll be especially disappointed.

2.97/5  rDev +28%

for what it is and after YEARS since i had any and ALL those stellar real brews i've had, wow, it looks more than decent. big head that laces quite nicely and complexly. looks good just sitting there. it's a deeper straw color than many macros...actually looks better than the 'new' Schlitz gusto formula...so sure, i'm going through a bad retro phase (in other words, fasting on this and PBR and the like until the first day of Autumn when i start my own oktoberfest....)!

smell is....thankfully more like some sort of warehouse packing foam instead of corn...or canned veggies...if the warehouse was an acre away. nothing special. or horrendous.

taste is a solid AVERAGE....not too sweet, but i'd rather it not be sweet at all (go try Schlitz 60's formula!)...but pleasant enough and i am sure tastier after riding my rigid 29er singlespeed for 3 hours this weekend...mouthfeel is pretty neutral. not sure if counts for a beer like this....

overall, i think in longneck this would be a bit better. super cold on a summer day...late summer can poured into a tulip doesn't quite cut it, but then, i should've had the DFH punkin ale after not before i had this....

3.41/5  rDev +47%

Pours a pale yellow, with a huge head of carbonation. Boasts of a large and detailed crown of lace, even. Delightful.

Nose is creamy and malty, very corn and barley-oriented. Hops presence is negligible at best. Fairly average.

Taste is sweet and adjunct but balanced. Very thin and easy to drink. Still, pretty well your typical adjunct lager, but a perfectly acceptable one.

3.21/5  rDev +38.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A crystal clear, straw-gold body is capped by a creamy bright-white head that holds well. Its retention is surprisingly good, and it leaves some nice lace to boot! The nose is exceptionally clean; with just a light touch of sweet malt. The body is light, and it's crisp in the mouth due to a fine-bubbled, median carbonation. Sweet malt makes up the entirety of the flavor, coming on strong at the start and slowly fading through the swallow. It's quite clean and devoid of any yeast characteristics. Adjunct is obviously being used at a high level as there's no real "grain" character present. It finishes drying with a dollop of sweet malt that receeds shortly. Very well made, but lacking in character.

4.2/5  rDev +81%

Why didnt I try this sooner. I guess I listened to the stereotypes about this beer. Picked up 2 6-packs of the 16 oz. variety at Wal-Mart in San Antonio. It was only $3.45 a 6-pack. well worth every penny. i should have bought more. We dont have it in my lil hole in the wall town. It goes down so smoothly. Has a hint of a sweet taste to it. I will definitely buy this the next time I head to S.A.

2.16/5  rDev -6.9%

Wow, I hadn't had this in years, and now I won't have to drink it again for several years - I hope. There's little about the flavor that resembles an all-malt beer. It relies heavily of yeast character, which is just a bit like the green apple found in Budweiser, but watered down and gone rancid. Avoid this one at all costs. Yes, it could have been more offensive, but it was still no treat to drink.

Old Milwaukee must have been some fouls smelling place for this stuff to be named after it. Another in the line of "old man beers" this stuff has less of a corn taste than its counterparts. I rarely see this in most stores, just the high volume macro vendors.

1.1/5  rDev -52.6%

Sickly gold, white head, minimal retention, no lace. Lightly sweet nose, adjucts I assume. Harshly metallic taste. Almost impossible to drink... it brought pain to my throat. I really can't tolerate "Old Mud". Frankly this is one of the worst beers I have had. Please stay away from it.

3.06/5  rDev +31.9%

Old Milwaukee beer is classic brew. It pours a golden Amber color. This brew has a little white head. Old Milwaukee has a sweet taste, it not bad. Mouth feel is that of an american style beer, nice and smooth. Over all I give this beer a 3 out of 5. it is nothing special but it is not a bad beer.

to view more.