Old Milwaukee Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

awful

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Reviews by FINA:
2.65/5  rDev +14.2%

Pale clear yellow with a weak head. Little flavor initially then a some sweetness comes in. I'd like to say it is malt, but feels too coarse, more likely corn or some kind of sugar. No real hop flavor to speak of. Not a bad cheap beer although there are a few I'd put ahead of it. Pretty much in the middle of the pack of cheap American lager.

3.45/5  rDev +48.7%

$1.50 12 oz bottle at Old Fashioned in Madison, WI. Ugly new label tries to court nostalgic but ends up offending them. Pours light yellow with some bubbles and a nice white lacing. Ultra transparent. Smells like…not much. Maybe a little corn and some veggies but really not a whole lot. Smooth and creamy with almost no taste. There could be malt and/or hops in this beer but its difficult to tell. There could also be corn or rice but again, I can’t taste much of anything. Drinks well though. Goes right down. Tastes clean. No noticeable adjuncts at least. Not overly sweet or carbonated. Just perfectly balanced, balanced…on nothingness. I’ll take a PBR over this but it beets most of the other cheap swill out there.

1.75/5  rDev -24.6%

1.5/5  rDev -35.3%

1.25/5  rDev -46.1%

2.42/5  rDev +4.3%

Presentation: 40 oz cheap brown glass bottle with a twist off soda pop-like cap. No freshness date.

Appearance: Very pale yellow in colour, the clear clarity of a beer that was ultra filtered. White lace surprisingly stays for a while and sticks a bit.

Smell: Cooked corn in the aroma, an off smell of DMS (cooked veggie) also.

Taste: Very smooth with a feigned medium body that actually turns out to be light as the crisp carbonation unfolds. Corn grit flavour is all over the place. Malt? Very little malt on the palate, just some grainy flavours. Hops are light and seem to let a bit of cloying sweetness in the middle. Hint of alcohol flares out with a clean presence.

Notes: As close to not having much flavour at all, oddly it was not that bad going down compared to other cheap American lagers. This is the stuff to get when you only have a couple bucks in your pocket … good to have every once in a while to get the flavour of cheap lager and realize that there are so many great beers out there other than this.

2.38/5  rDev +2.6%

This pours with very little excitement. The nose gets the odor of corn and oats. Taste is sweet and dry, but with a very grainy, chemical like finish. The malted cereal grains are the big player in this brew. This is a very cheap beer. next time i'll spend the extra for Pabst Blue Ribbon.

2.1/5  rDev -9.5%

OK I know I'm scrapin the bottom of the barrel here, but we all need to consume some mass produced crap to keep us honest and keep us abreast of what is out there. This stuff is, suprise, piss yellow with a large bubble, short lasting head. Not much nose to speak of. Ditto for malt and hops. It is cold and wet and did help me wash down my dinner.

1.5/5  rDev -35.3%

3.73/5  rDev +60.8%

No need to rate the appearance, as I drank it straight from the can. Before I review this beer, its been interesting for me reading about so many different beers, and how they rate on this site. One person may rate a beer close to a 5, and following that rating could be a 2 or lower. It truly does show, that taste is truly subjective. In other words, one mans paradise, can be another mans garbage indeed.

As much as I love a good craft beer, Samuel Adams being my all time favorite, closely followed by Highlands Gaelic Ale, Ive been searching for something that when funds are low, would make for a good go to beer. Genesee beer, is one that fit the bill for me (pardon the pun) But now Ive had the pleasure of trying Old Milwaukee. So now for my review.

S. Grains upfront, sort of sweet smelling. Not offensive at all.

T. Definitely what one would expect from a macro, and thats what I expected. Cereal grains, however a very nice malty taste as well. I realy enjoy the flavor of this versus a Budweiser, Miller, as this has much more of a bite with more flavor then the aforementioned.

M. Medium carbonation, not bland or watery but just right.

O. If anyone is feeling the pinch of how expensive things are getting these days, wich Im sure alot of folks are. I recommend giving Old Milwaukee a try. Its quite refreshing and quenching, a great working mans beer sure to satisfy!!

1.75/5  rDev -24.6%

2.73/5  rDev +17.7%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

Bought a 12 pack of this because they say this is Americas best tasting beer, and if you don't agree you'll get your money back. So I'm giving it a shot, if it's my best reviewed beer I won't ask for my money back.

Pours a very clear light yellow with a nice big fluffy white head. Nose is bad, it's a kind of stale hop lager nose that you get from all BMC beer.

Taste is actually not too bad for this style. It's not a great beer but it's got a nice malt character to it. The body strongly suffers from the adjuncts but there's still a nice hint here in the body. There's no hops to speak of. Mouthfeel isn't too bad, fairly creamy and thick - relatively speaking.

Overall I'd say it's a fairly easy drinking beer. Good for a game of beer pong or something like that, but if I'm going to sit down and relax with a good beer, I won't choose this.

2.63/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Faint yellow, no head. Smells like Milwaukee in the morning (the city).

Taste, eh, I almost wanna say don't go there, but this is a beer review. Hops, malt, yeast, nothing, but there's lots of water in it. Kind of a weird aftertaste and mouthfeel to it, I have no idea what it is, other than not pleasant for the most part. Very cheap, hence, drinkable.

I shit you not this stuff was $29.99 for a 1/2 barrel at Discount Liquors in Milwaukee when I was going to Marquette. How many kegs did we kill of this during the 2003 Final Four run?

2.15/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured the can into a Pilsner glass...

Transparent lightest gold color, wide-bubbled head of a very thin character but better duration than some. Partial ring laces. Aroma is all sweetness, corn and cane sugar. Mouthfeel is thinnish but the carbonation is adequately done. No real sense of hops, malt is sweet and neutral without nasty qualities. Aftertaste is lightly honeyish without the overdone fizziness and mineral water taste of some macros. Cheap and forgetable, but not the worst of drinkabilities in the beer world.

3.5/5  rDev +50.9%

1.25/5  rDev -46.1%

2.6/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Well why not, I had one in the fridge left over from a bbq (I used it to boil brats in).

I poured it from a 16oz can into a mug and the first thought that races through my mind is "why bother." It is a corn pee yellow with a bleached white head that is rocky, consisting of larger bubbles.

Smell is of stale corn and weak malts.

Tastes like a watered down corn lager. Definitely better ice cold because it starts to get rank as it warms. This one taste exactly like the mindless varieties of macro lagers. I would like to know what the legal loop hole is where they can market the phrase on the can "America's best tasting beer." It is not.

A light body and large carbonation does make it a fun beer to drink if you are doing manual labor. Ice one down and shotgun it after mowing the lawn. I will use this one to cook with but thats about it... unless I am in a real pinch.

Old Milwaukee Beer from Pabst Brewing Company