Old Milwaukee Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

awful

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Milwaukee Beer Alström Bros

One of the best cheap AA Lager of there. Beats out Dos esquis, Coors light , bud light , miller high life, Busch just name a few.

Appearance: Looks like a straw beer. Yellow

Smell : Like American adject lage should smell like grains

Taste: Some grains and malts with little bite at the end. It very smooth old school beer taste.

Moutfeel: " Is medium to light

Overall : One is the best discounted American Adjunct Lagers out there. Old Milwaukee has that old school beer taste which you real can not find in many beers today.

4.8/5  rDev +106.9%

The boss needs beer...better make it the best.
Don't fool around when it's your turn to get the beer.

All that subliminal programming when I was a kid really paid off. OM is my favorite American Lager. Just a hint of hops, clean mouthfeel, goes down easy. This is a true American staple. Sure, if I have $9 to spend on a 6-pack, I'll pick up a specialty brew. Otherwise, it's OM for me.

4.5/5  rDev +94%

4.5/5  rDev +94%

4.38/5  rDev +88.8%

For the price, Old Milwaukee is a great beer.

It pours a light amber color. Smell is good. very drinkable.

mouthfeel is good, and it tastes great. On a hot day, mowing the lawn, this beer hits the spot better than the big 3 (bud, coors,miller).
Give it a try. dont let the price scare you, This cheap brew is pretty good.

4.38/5  rDev +88.8%

I enjoyed this one straight out of the can, the way it's meant to be enjoyed, so no appearance notes here. Smell is grains and corn syrup. Very pleasant though. It has a delicious "old man beer" smell. On the sweet side, for sure.
Taste is classic "old man beer." Which is a term I use to refer to a that taste that is present in many of the older beer labels that got bought up by Pabst. I honestly enjoy that "old man beer" style. It's refreshing and cheap and way more enjoyable that most of BMC's shit. This is no different, except surprisingly one of the best I've had. It's a perfect classic. It's EXACTLY what I want when I look at the can. It may not be fancy, but it is just so positively dead-on-target for what I'm looking for in a cheap adjunct lager. And it's cheap as all hell, too. This may be a new frontrunner for the "best beer for your money," which is important to me. I like to spend money on fancy over-priced beers when I have it, but nothing is more important to me in a beer than economy x quality. Either of those alone is fairly useless information to me. This has tied Big Flats and Schlitz Gusto for economy x quality. It's not amazing, but it's a lot better than you'd expect at $8.41 for a 12-pack.

Back to more useful tasting notes though:
It's got all that delicious wet grain and corn syrup flavour that was on the nose, but it's not as sweet as the smell would suggest. It's really fairly dry. And as obviously cheap as the flavour is, it's really just indescribably pleasant. It's hard to put into words. The ingredients just taste good and natural. It doesn't have any weird flavours you don't want in there like Budweiser, Coors, MGD, or any light beer. It's just a regular old, easy-drinking beer-man's beer. Well, impoverished beer man, anyway. This is quite possibly the best ADJUNCT lager I've ever had, not including higher alcohol brews like euro strong lagers. It may be the only adjunct lager I need to buy from now on, but I will keep trying new ones when I find them. This one is so damn cheap, though.

4.23/5  rDev +82.3%

Why didnt I try this sooner. I guess I listened to the stereotypes about this beer. Picked up 2 6-packs of the 16 oz. variety at Wal-Mart in San Antonio. It was only $3.45 a 6-pack. well worth every penny. i should have bought more. We dont have it in my lil hole in the wall town. It goes down so smoothly. Has a hint of a sweet taste to it. I will definitely buy this the next time I head to S.A.

4.2/5  rDev +81%

4.04/5  rDev +74.1%

For being a Macro Lager, it was ok, and I think it is the best among the Old Milwaukee variety. The colour is not green at all, and it is very goldy, very good and the foam is nice, very bubbling and it is what it counts for a lager, at least for me.

3.99/5  rDev +72%

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

A clear golden colored body with a lot of rising bubbles. A white fizzy head disappears quickly. No lacing.

The aroma is slightly metallic, with notes of corn and cereal grains.

Thankfully, the taste is slightly better than the aroma. Slightly metallic, maybe a hint of corn adjuncts. Not much else.

Mouthfeel is watery and carbonated.

Overall, I rated this in comparison with other adjunct lagers, and quite frankly this beer tastes as clean and refreshing as all the others at a cheaper price. This will be my cheap go-to beer when needed.

3.93/5  rDev +69.4%

A- Golden yellow, with a big frothy head that dissipates but leaves a slight layer of foam. Leaves a bit of lacing.

S- Smells kind of tinny and slightly of alcohol if sniffed heavily.

T- Corn, malt, slight tin, No Bitterness. Finishes very clean with some aftertaste of corn cobs.

M- Watery, thin, bubbly. Very easy to drink.

O- Overall, it's a good beer when it's very hot outside or if you want a beer that goes down easily. Pretty good for a AAL.
No hangover.

3.9/5  rDev +68.1%

Old Milwaukee. Five dollars for a twelve-pack at the drugstore down the street from my house. How cool is that?

Appearance: Normal yellow/gold macro beer color. Pouring it into a chilled mug brought forth a fairly thick one-inch head that quickly vanished. Minus one point because my girlfriend says the red-and-white pattern on the can looks "ugly".

Smell: The smell is above average. If there was an air-freshener with a "beer" fragrance, it would smell like Old Milwaukee.

Taste: Really not bad, quite a bit better than I expected. I had expected it to be a thin and watery brew, but it's actually full-bodied and a little on the rich side. There seems to be more than a hint of corn in the flavor; not as strong as Miller High Life, but the corn is definitely there.

Mouthfeel: This beer has medium carbonation, but it lacks crispness. As it warms to room temperature, the texture can become a little unpleasant, like a mouthful of soapy water.

Drinkability: Despite it's flaws, Old Milwaukee is pretty drinkable, although a little on the heavy side. If you're looking for a tasty and light session beer, I would recommend Hamm's instead.

Overall: Old Milwaukee is a decent adjunct lager at an incredible price, probably the best beer value on the market. Go for it if you want an inexpensive brew that gets the job done.

Old Milwaukee Beer from Pabst Brewing Company