Old Milwaukee Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

Old Milwaukee BeerOld Milwaukee Beer

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Milwaukee Beer Alström Bros
3.46/5  rDev +38.4%

I poured a 16 ounce can into a pint glass.

The beer is pale yellow in appearance with a fair amount of white head that dissipated quickly.

The smell was a typical macro corn scent.

The taste was okay.

The mouthfeel was okay too.

It goes down real easy. This is one of my favorites to drink after mowing the lawn, but not exactly an award winner.

3.45/5  rDev +38%

$1.50 12 oz bottle at Old Fashioned in Madison, WI. Ugly new label tries to court nostalgic but ends up offending them. Pours light yellow with some bubbles and a nice white lacing. Ultra transparent. Smells like…not much. Maybe a little corn and some veggies but really not a whole lot. Smooth and creamy with almost no taste. There could be malt and/or hops in this beer but its difficult to tell. There could also be corn or rice but again, I can’t taste much of anything. Drinks well though. Goes right down. Tastes clean. No noticeable adjuncts at least. Not overly sweet or carbonated. Just perfectly balanced, balanced…on nothingness. I’ll take a PBR over this but it beets most of the other cheap swill out there.

3.45/5  rDev +38%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A lighter beer, that's good on price.

Light, pale straw color. Fizzy, very carbonated. The head doesn't last very long.

Mostly smells like hops.

The taste is almost all hops and carbonation, a little bitterness. Everyone complaims how bitter this beer is, but it's not that bad. I like bitters though.

Light, carbonated and fizzy.

It's a good beer, cheap price. If it's cold, it's very refreshing. I'll pick it up once in a while.

3.42/5  rDev +36.8%

This beer looks like your average lager. It is a straw color. The head was impressive when I poured it into my glass.

The smell is consistently clean with this brew. It has kind of a spicy smell.

The taste is pretty clean. It has a bit of spicy kick to it which is better than nothing. There is not much flavor but for this style the flavor is good.

The mouthfeel is pretty thin with this.

I rate the drinkability high on this because it is pretty easy to drink a lot of these which is how I rate this particular style. It is a great cheap lawnmower beer. This is one of my favorite cheap summer beers.

3.41/5  rDev +36.4%

Pours a pale yellow, with a huge head of carbonation. Boasts of a large and detailed crown of lace, even. Delightful.

Nose is creamy and malty, very corn and barley-oriented. Hops presence is negligible at best. Fairly average.

Taste is sweet and adjunct but balanced. Very thin and easy to drink. Still, pretty well your typical adjunct lager, but a perfectly acceptable one.

3.4/5  rDev +36%

pours a clear golden yellow. white head that vanished in less than a second. no real smell. the taste is smooth, actually some kind of flavor. no real aftertaste. it is what it is...but it isn't a pabst...
i might try this again, but only if left with very few options.

3.4/5  rDev +36%

This is best on a hot summer day when the beer has been iced down for a few hours. Very refreshing in this capacity. Its not as bad as its reputation, however its obviously nothing special. Light, easy to drink with a routine flavor of corn and grains typical of cheap american beers.

3.4/5  rDev +36%

Not a bad macro, especially for about $6 for a 12 pack. It goes down easy and has a non-offensive, even moderately desirable, taste to it. Drink it ice cold, though. When it warms, its flavor diminishes rapidly. I would rather have Pabst, but not by much.

Plus, it was Steve McQueen's favorite brew. So that adds some cool points.

3.32/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 OZ can into a pint glass.
Aroma- Grain, barley and corn!!!
Appearance- A pale clear yellow color with a large white head.
Taste- Typical AAL but not bad, consider the price and the total disdain most have this is better than what most people make it out to be.
Palate- A light bodied beer with moderate carbonation, has a smooth crisp finish
Overall- This brought me way back to my days in the Marines, "Old Milwaukee" beer tents out in the field. It tasted better back then, but hey it isn't horrible now.

3.32/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Old Milwaukee...the greatest thing to buy if you want bitter hops for $3 a 4-pack.

Appearance is a light pale, almost urine colored yellow, and there's a little bit of a head, but not too much to go for.

Smell is wicked high in corn.

Taste is actually pretty damn good for a cheap beer. The corn is strong in the mix, but the best thing is the sweet bitterness at the end of the first sip. It definitely feels good going down cold!

Mouthfeel is good, but you need to drink a good bit of it to truly savor the flavor, as it dissipates after the bitter ending.

Drinkability is good for a cheap beer as it does carry a nice bitter taste. $6.99 a 12-pack, you can't beat it!

3.28/5  rDev +31.2%

I was a little hesitant at first to try this beer. I had a bad experience with some Milwaukee's Best before and so I am always hesitant to try economy beers since...

I poured a pint can into a pint beer glass. Light foamy, almost soapy looking white head. A tiny bit darker than other economy brand beers, but still a pale yellow color.

Smelled of sweet grains and corn adjunct. Tiny, tiny, faint smell of hops is present in the smell.

Tasted better than it smelled. The sweetness that is present in the smell is hardly there in the flavor of the beer. Still has the taste of corn adjunct and pale malts. Still, it was surprisingly good tasting for an economy beer.

It has a crisp yet watery mouthfeel....

It is extremely drinkable for an economy beer. This Schlitz economy brand is quite good and I can see myself buying this in the future.

For being an economy brand it was good, and I'm rating it accordingly... I rate it for how it tastes with regards to what it is.

3.28/5  rDev +31.2%

Most of my family dont like this beer, is piss water, said; but for me is good, better i say than the anheuser busch family beers (macro´s of course), its palate is wide, smell like broiled hops, little herbal too; taste had a touch of yeast, rice and very soft for me; try direct from the can or serve in a pint glass; 85% recommended.

3.25/5  rDev +30%

Comparable to pbr, I don't know why theres so much hate for this beer. Its a good alternative to bud light, highlife, nat light, or keystone.

Its not going to challenge or excite your tongue. But it dosn't bother mine at all. I think pbr is better but this one is better that high life in my opinion.

3.24/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank from the can. Can see light yellow some little lace. Smell is yeast and adjuncts. Dry smell. Taste is dry and yeasty and adjuncts. Almost like PBR but boozier to me. Makes my face hot fairly quickly. I like it as much as my go to PBR

3.22/5  rDev +28.8%

About on par with PBR and Miller. I'd say its better than both of them, slightly, but certainly it is not "America's Best Tasting Beer". Not as good as Coors or Budwesier, for comparison.
I actually find the smell fairly delightful, it smells a somewhat like plum blossoms.
It doesn't taste like much, but it doesn't taste bad. To me, cheap beer exposes itself when drank with food, and Old Milwaukee's flaws are evident, but its okay.

3.22/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a hunting season commemorative can, camouflage with blaze orange inlay. It really caught my eye this deer hunting season.

The color pale wheat, aroma, dry wheat, malt. Hard to pick up much if any aroma.

Easy drinking light lager. Nothing to write home about, but enough malt presence to keep it interesting. As with the smell, if I swish it around a dry wheat taste holds in my mouth. Perfect with a shot. Slightly sweet as it warms, but not overly. Needs a little more weight, and it could be a good everyday beer. This was the beer I remember my mom always drinking, and she kept it in the garage, no fridge.

"It doesnt get any better than this"...if this is all you got it isnt that bad.

3.21/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A crystal clear, straw-gold body is capped by a creamy bright-white head that holds well. Its retention is surprisingly good, and it leaves some nice lace to boot! The nose is exceptionally clean; with just a light touch of sweet malt. The body is light, and it's crisp in the mouth due to a fine-bubbled, median carbonation. Sweet malt makes up the entirety of the flavor, coming on strong at the start and slowly fading through the swallow. It's quite clean and devoid of any yeast characteristics. Adjunct is obviously being used at a high level as there's no real "grain" character present. It finishes drying with a dollop of sweet malt that receeds shortly. Very well made, but lacking in character.

3.21/5  rDev +28.4%

I figured I'd try something new while watching the Celtics/Lakers game, so I bought a sixer of Old Milwaukee. Well, here we go!

A-Nice yellow gold, darker than what I am used to.

S-Raw grains and some alcohol. About par for the course on this style.

T-Sweet corn, a little malt, and a little bit of alcohol. It starts out grainy, a hop shows up, and then it finishes sweet. I like it.

M-A little fuller than my standard fare, but light enough to be refreshing on a hot summer day.

D-Good. I could drink a lot of these on a hot day, or anytime for that matter!

3.2/5  rDev +28%

I poured into a pint glass to a couple inches of white head. It is pale yellow in color. The aroma is sweet malt. The taste is sweet malt and a bit grassy. At least it has some flavor to it, not much, but as least something. The mouthfeel is watery. The drinkability is limited to a mood when I need something watered down and cheap.

3.2/5  rDev +28%

Every time I buy this beer at the corner store the clerk looks at me... then looks at the case of OM.... then back at me and asks: Why are you buying "Old Man Beer???". (I'm 28)

I figure its because the "Old Men" have figured it out! Good tasting beer at a rock bottom price. You can also enjoy several of these w/o getting filled up fast.

Even the beer snobs get this beer wrong on blindfolded taste tests! Funny stuff indeed.

A. Pour a can in a glass... wait, wait, nope.. no head.... little bit of lacing. Looks like beer thats been on the table for awhile but bubbles do rise fast.

S. Smells like a cornfield. Corn and Grain odors drift up into the nose.

T. Ice cold watery taste with hints of corn and bitterness after you swallow. Very crisp...

M. Is Average. Actually its prob. way above average for this beers price range.

D. VERY HIGH... you could drink a case of this after a long, hot day hanging dryway, paving roads, or hiking up & down trails building boardwalks. Plus its cheaper than dirt so you can buy beer for the whole crew.

OM is a Blue collar beer from the Rust-Belt BUT the "Old Men" who drink this continue to get the last laugh when this beer continues to suprise the beer snobs winning taste tests throughout Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio.

Serve EXTRA COLD... almost freezing.
Great at cook outs, baseball games, after a long tough day at work or just chillin' in the ice shack or out on the boat.

You can find it for around $3 a sixer BUT straight from a bottle is best.

CHEERS "Old Man"

3.18/5  rDev +27.2%

we had this the other night at our beer tasting club for our great american beer. it was offered in a blind taste test and overall it was recieved well. our goal is to get peolpe to try these old classics and not be detered by public opinion or the advertisment of big beer companies.

and if i recall this beer won 5 gold medals from 2003 - 2007 at the great american beer festival?

3.15/5  rDev +26%

Old Milwaukee from a can, poured into dimpled mug. Appearance is light yellow, fizzy with huge white head that dissapates quickly. Smell is harsh and grainy. Taste is smooth. Drinkability is very high. Mouthfeel is thin and a little watery. Old Milwaukee is a great lawnmower beer and one of my favorite cheap beers.

3.15/5  rDev +26%

Yellow. Low carbination. Head is weak, but it doesn't go away completely. Smell is pretty bad; heavy weat/grain? Taste is watery but has a sweet tasting aftertaste.

Definately a good beer for the buck. Also, it's great to have during the summer, outside, when you just want to relax and get drunk.I would buy again, but only in the summer time. Just a very casual drinking beer when I don't really care about quality.

3.1/5  rDev +24%

Originally tasted on October 31, 2007

It doesn't get much cheaper than this. ( Old Mil in a can ). A light clear golden with a large white head and big carbonation. Aroma is corn, grains, light citrus and soapy hints. Flavor is mild bitter malts, hops, corn, wheat. It is just a typical cheap macro swill but I find it refreshing and I sort of like cheap swill from time to time.

3.1/5  rDev +24%

This is a good cheap beer. Not a great beer, but it is definetly drinkable, not bad by any means.. Good value, I had the big can. Much better than bud light and the like. It is best cold, but I threw the last few swigs out as it warmed and grabbed another cold one. If your going to buy budweiser, buy this instead it tastes much better and is way easier on your wallet. If your on a budget and you want something that doesn't taste like crap, this is the way to go, sometimes I use this as a spacer beer.

Old Milwaukee Beer from Pabst Brewing Company