Old Milwaukee Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Milwaukee Beer Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev +65.9%

This was an old favorite of mine because I used to purchase six packs of Old Milwaukee or Old Milwaukee Light after I turned 21. I liked it more than some of the other adjunct lagers at the time, but I haven't had this beer in years. The can says, "America's Best Tasting Beer." I liked this beer a lot when I was younger, but I'm going to review this as if I had this for the first time. Let's see if this lives up to the slogan.

Poured into an Old Milwaukee chalice. Pours pale yellow with a two-finger length white head that quickly dissipears. A small amoung lacing remains on the top of the beer with a thin white ring around the side after the head recedes. Very little lacing is left alongside the glass during consumption and the cap atop the beer disappears. However, that ring of lacing on the side of the glass atop the beer remains throughout consumption. There are a lot of bubbles visible rising from the bottom of the glass. This looks like the typical adjunct lager. There are aromas of barley malt, maybe a little corn and some hops. The smell conjures up memories of Schlitz, which is only natural because this beer was the budget alternative to Schlitz. The aroma is mild, but still pleasing.

The taste is bready from the malt and that flavor comes through very well. There is some sweetness in the background from the corn and the hop flavor is very mild. It has a little bite to it that you don't get with BMC, but it's not quite as strong as Schlitz. It is very clean tasting and well balanced. The flavor is excellent. The body is light and the mouthfeel is watery. The finish is crisp and dry, which is typical of adjunct lagers. It's very easy to drink like you would expect from an adjunct lager. It's very refreshing.

It's pretty easy to understand why this beer wins gold medals when you try it. It is a solid beer with good flavor and it is also very refreshing. This is a very good beer. If you are looking for an adjunct lager on a budget, but also want some flavor, you can never go wrong with Old Milwaukee. It may not be America's best tasting beer, but it is a very good beer.

3.75/5  rDev +61.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz can poured into a tumbler glass. I'm reviewing this based against other macro lagers.

Appearance: It actually looks better in a glass than I thought it would. Pale clear golden yellow.

Smell: Good smell for a macro. Again better smell than I thought it would have. Grains and corn.

Taste: No skunkiness. Not much flavor but the style isn't known for big flavor.

Mouthfeel: Relatively thick feel. Very nice.

Drinkability: As far as American macro lagers go this is very easy drinking and might be my favorite.

3.74/5  rDev +61.2%

Very light straw colored body and a stark white soapy head, which retains as a small ring of foam.

The aroma reminds me a lot of Pabst, but less sweet and less hops - more adjuncts. But nothing off-putting or unpleasant. A very original, pleasant beer aroma.

For the taste, you get clean and carbonated water with a bite, then a generalized graininess from the corn; and short after that, you get some barley malt white breadiness, with a sweetness that does not linger or stick out much. And soon after comes the grassy hop bite, which is soon cleansed from your palate as soon as it hits.

There is no after taste to speak of. The flavor it pretty bold, and reminds me almost exactly of Pabst Blue Ribbon, except the barley malt is less present, with no bready after taste, and the hops have a little less character.

The finish is super dry, clean, crisp, refreshing.

I seriously doubt that if I hadn't seen the price, I would not have known this was a budget beer. This is much bolder, more flavorful, rich, and delicate than say, Miller High Life or Milwaukee's Best Premium.

Even though I would buy Pabst over this, I still think it is a very fine beer, and should continue to be available to anyone.

3.71/5  rDev +59.9%

Old Milwaukee has a thick, creamy white head and a clear rich golden color. Carbonation is high. Aroma is metallic, grainy, and faint. The taste is stereotypical American lager, but with more boldness and sweetness than others of its ilk. Mouthfeel is medium. OM has a good bite to it. Finish is crisp and clean. Overall, it is a good product and holds its own against even higher-priced competitors.

RJT

3.7/5  rDev +59.5%

Down here (SC) everything is Bud.... so OM isn't that bad !!! Goes down cold nicely. I used to drink this beer back in the early 70's, quantity over quality, and after drinking Bud Light and Miller Lite it's pretty good. Does Bud make anything worth while??

3.7/5  rDev +59.5%

Good lawnmower type beer. Lite, crisp and refreshing.

3.67/5  rDev +58.2%

No need to rate the appearance, as I drank it straight from the can. Before I review this beer, its been interesting for me reading about so many different beers, and how they rate on this site. One person may rate a beer close to a 5, and following that rating could be a 2 or lower. It truly does show, that taste is truly subjective. In other words, one mans paradise, can be another mans garbage indeed.

As much as I love a good craft beer, Samuel Adams being my all time favorite, closely followed by Highlands Gaelic Ale, Ive been searching for something that when funds are low, would make for a good go to beer. Genesee beer, is one that fit the bill for me (pardon the pun) But now Ive had the pleasure of trying Old Milwaukee. So now for my review.

S. Grains upfront, sort of sweet smelling. Not offensive at all.

T. Definitely what one would expect from a macro, and thats what I expected. Cereal grains, however a very nice malty taste as well. I realy enjoy the flavor of this versus a Budweiser, Miller, as this has much more of a bite with more flavor then the aforementioned.

M. Medium carbonation, not bland or watery but just right.

O. If anyone is feeling the pinch of how expensive things are getting these days, wich Im sure alot of folks are. I recommend giving Old Milwaukee a try. Its quite refreshing and quenching, a great working mans beer sure to satisfy!!

3.63/5  rDev +56.5%

I was a little scared to try this but being a huge Pabst Blue Ribbon and Schlitz fan I said what the heck...So here we go.

Drank right out of the red, gold and white 16 oz can.

A: Drank out of the can.

S: Maybe some burnt corn, METAL, typical cheap amercan adjunct canned lager smell.

T: Taste was surprizingly refreshing and um, Good!. Definitly serve very cold on a hot summer day. Sweet beginning and finished up a little sour but not unpleasantly sour.

M: Decent mouthfeel. Medium carbonation, definitly a sessionable pounder.

D: Like I said, I can pound this brew. Much better than any BMC product in my opinion.

Overall, for $5.39 a sixer of 16oz cans, this will be my go to when PBR or Schlitz isn't available or if I'm not in the Micro mood or um, BROKE :)

3.63/5  rDev +56.5%

Once again I get the Sleeman, Canadianized version of this beer, on to the review!

Appearance - Looks better than your average macro, a very nice golden yellow color.

Smell - Smells like stock beer, but not fresh, metallic. Just what you'd expect from a macro.

Taste - Nice, full bodied smooth stock beer taste. No hop bite, just smooth and the perfect carbonation level. Really good for a macro.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly full, carbonated, and definitely satisfying.

Drinkability - This is high, cold or warm this beer just tastes good, and goes down easy. For the price, one of my go to beers for the weekends.

For the price, this beer is one of my overall favorite discount macros, very well done, a simple beer that gets the job done. I like this one.

3.6/5  rDev +55.2%

3.57/5  rDev +53.9%

Serious yellow fizzy stuff going on here. It could be ginger ale until the corn kicks in - smooooth corn hoss, and the flavor is real mellow too. I bought a case of 16 oz. cans of this stuff in Pennsylvania, and I haven't looked back since (I can't see much anyway on this beer). But really, it's not a bad macro - totally harmless and almost flavorless, but it has a grip on the tongue and the adjunct cereal grain character is perfect for fishing, lunchtime, or warm joyrides. Finishes less corny sweet than most macros, so I can reach for one more.

3.56/5  rDev +53.4%

Smeone once told me I had to try Old Milwaukee when I couldn't afford a case of Bud. So here I am drinking my 4th one on Monday afternoon. Tricky beer. Couldn't discern any hops or grains, mainly water. However, it does promote a nice mouthfeel. Some beers in this category ring a bitter taste on the sides of the tongue but this one does not. I think my 30 pack was on the shelf for a while because it has a definate hint of age. I will call this one Old Mildue, but will buy again for the second fridge when things are desperate.

3.55/5  rDev +53%

Yeah - Old Milwauke is not a "premier" beer, nor does it try to be. But being someone from the upper midwest who appreciates a good beer, I can tell you that in most establishments up there you cannot get much beyond Miller Lite or Bud Light. What you are left with is domestics, and if you are going to drink a domestic beer, make it an Old Milwaukee. It has an unusual flavor at first, but it is distinctive and fulfilling. I personally find myself preferring an Old Milwaukee to any other mass-produced domestic beer, if a high quality beer is not available.

In short - Old Milwaukee is a solid American beer and can take care of you in a pinch.

3.5/5  rDev +50.9%

Well I tried this beer as a joke, but I ended up liking it.. 12oz can, and after drinking a few of these I went for a bud and I thought bud was way to bitter for my liking so I gave those away at my last softball game.. Where I am it is $11.67 per case of cans and I can't go wrong with that.. No hangovers for me with this brew,, It tastes great ice cold after work too..It doesn't break my wallet either. My new everyday beer or PBR... I'm forgetting about Bud products...

3.5/5  rDev +50.9%

Pounder can into pint glass.

Looks like beer. Clear and light gold.

Not bad. Malty and a whiff of alcohol. Beer smell.

Good. Not sugary or corny, just a muted beer flavor.

Nice carbonation. Not too much or little.

Very decent. Like a slightly boozier High Life but with less corn flavor and more malts. Absolutely worth the $18 for a flat of pounders.

Old Milwaukee Beer from Pabst Brewing Company