Old Milwaukee Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Milwaukee Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 712 | Reviews: 256
3.5/5  rDev +50.9%

Pounder can into pint glass.

Looks like beer. Clear and light gold.

Not bad. Malty and a whiff of alcohol. Beer smell.

Good. Not sugary or corny, just a muted beer flavor.

Nice carbonation. Not too much or little.

Very decent. Like a slightly boozier High Life but with less corn flavor and more malts. Absolutely worth the $18 for a flat of pounders.

3.48/5  rDev +50%

Glass - Pint

A - Extremely clear yellow color with lots of visible C02. It produced a 2-3 finger fizzy white head that held a bit and then dissipated to a thin ring. It left a bit of splotches on my glass.

S - A touch of tart grape when swirled but otherwise I get clean grain aroma's with a bit of musky lager yeast. Nothing off putting to me like other Adjunct Lagers.

T - Hmm, clean grain with a slight artificial like bitterness throughout and a bit of dryness on the finish. I think I like the taste of this one over allot of the other popular BMC's because it doesn't have any off putting corny or musty lager yeast flavors that make me gag.

M - Lite-medium bodied with moderate crispness that doesn't burn off your tongue.

D - This has gotta be the best Adjunct Lager I've had since Schlitz and Olympia. It's very very easy to drink like most of em, and it didn't have anything offensive to it really. I would say give it a try and you might be surprised, I would probably pick it up again because it's so cheap.

3.48/5  rDev +50%

Why bother stating the color, head, feel and all that....hey it is OM. But I like it. It reminds me of what beer smelled like back in the 60s when if you opened a beer in a car with the windows up the smell filled the car. It reminded me of that...it is not that good but no beer is anymore in the U.S. with all the laws that have been enacted on the brewing process and preservation process. I remember when if you entered a room a few days after a beer party you could still smell stale beer. Now it is hard to smell a beer period....much less it leaving a lingering smell in a room. Back then a parent could walk into a room and if you had been drinking they could smell the beer. Now you can spill it on the carpet and 5 minutes later there is no smell. OM and a few others are the only mass produced beers out there that I can almost recapture that smell for just a few seconds after popping the top.

Ok it is cheap. It is not a boutique beer. It is for guys who don't make much money and work hard for what they do have. It, PBR, Bud, Miller, and so on really shouldn't be on this site...at least they should be separated from the Micros and boutique beers. they are everyday beers you order with pizza and burgers. They are working men and women beers and are not intended to be anymore than that.

3.46/5  rDev +49.1%

I poured a 16 ounce can into a pint glass.

The beer is pale yellow in appearance with a fair amount of white head that dissipated quickly.

The smell was a typical macro corn scent.

The taste was okay.

The mouthfeel was okay too.

It goes down real easy. This is one of my favorites to drink after mowing the lawn, but not exactly an award winner.

3.45/5  rDev +48.7%

$1.50 12 oz bottle at Old Fashioned in Madison, WI. Ugly new label tries to court nostalgic but ends up offending them. Pours light yellow with some bubbles and a nice white lacing. Ultra transparent. Smells like…not much. Maybe a little corn and some veggies but really not a whole lot. Smooth and creamy with almost no taste. There could be malt and/or hops in this beer but its difficult to tell. There could also be corn or rice but again, I can’t taste much of anything. Drinks well though. Goes right down. Tastes clean. No noticeable adjuncts at least. Not overly sweet or carbonated. Just perfectly balanced, balanced…on nothingness. I’ll take a PBR over this but it beets most of the other cheap swill out there.

3.45/5  rDev +48.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A lighter beer, that's good on price.

Light, pale straw color. Fizzy, very carbonated. The head doesn't last very long.

Mostly smells like hops.

The taste is almost all hops and carbonation, a little bitterness. Everyone complaims how bitter this beer is, but it's not that bad. I like bitters though.

Light, carbonated and fizzy.

It's a good beer, cheap price. If it's cold, it's very refreshing. I'll pick it up once in a while.

3.42/5  rDev +47.4%

This beer looks like your average lager. It is a straw color. The head was impressive when I poured it into my glass.

The smell is consistently clean with this brew. It has kind of a spicy smell.

The taste is pretty clean. It has a bit of spicy kick to it which is better than nothing. There is not much flavor but for this style the flavor is good.

The mouthfeel is pretty thin with this.

I rate the drinkability high on this because it is pretty easy to drink a lot of these which is how I rate this particular style. It is a great cheap lawnmower beer. This is one of my favorite cheap summer beers.

3.42/5  rDev +47.4%

Fine adjunct, drinking with the guys beer.

3.41/5  rDev +47%

Pours a pale yellow, with a huge head of carbonation. Boasts of a large and detailed crown of lace, even. Delightful.

Nose is creamy and malty, very corn and barley-oriented. Hops presence is negligible at best. Fairly average.

Taste is sweet and adjunct but balanced. Very thin and easy to drink. Still, pretty well your typical adjunct lager, but a perfectly acceptable one.

3.4/5  rDev +46.6%

pours a clear golden yellow. white head that vanished in less than a second. no real smell. the taste is smooth, actually some kind of flavor. no real aftertaste. it is what it is...but it isn't a pabst...
i might try this again, but only if left with very few options.

3.4/5  rDev +46.6%

This is best on a hot summer day when the beer has been iced down for a few hours. Very refreshing in this capacity. Its not as bad as its reputation, however its obviously nothing special. Light, easy to drink with a routine flavor of corn and grains typical of cheap american beers.

3.4/5  rDev +46.6%

Not a bad macro, especially for about $6 for a 12 pack. It goes down easy and has a non-offensive, even moderately desirable, taste to it. Drink it ice cold, though. When it warms, its flavor diminishes rapidly. I would rather have Pabst, but not by much.

Plus, it was Steve McQueen's favorite brew. So that adds some cool points.

3.32/5  rDev +43.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 OZ can into a pint glass.
Aroma- Grain, barley and corn!!!
Appearance- A pale clear yellow color with a large white head.
Taste- Typical AAL but not bad, consider the price and the total disdain most have this is better than what most people make it out to be.
Palate- A light bodied beer with moderate carbonation, has a smooth crisp finish
Overall- This brought me way back to my days in the Marines, "Old Milwaukee" beer tents out in the field. It tasted better back then, but hey it isn't horrible now.

3.32/5  rDev +43.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Old Milwaukee...the greatest thing to buy if you want bitter hops for $3 a 4-pack.

Appearance is a light pale, almost urine colored yellow, and there's a little bit of a head, but not too much to go for.

Smell is wicked high in corn.

Taste is actually pretty damn good for a cheap beer. The corn is strong in the mix, but the best thing is the sweet bitterness at the end of the first sip. It definitely feels good going down cold!

Mouthfeel is good, but you need to drink a good bit of it to truly savor the flavor, as it dissipates after the bitter ending.

Drinkability is good for a cheap beer as it does carry a nice bitter taste. $6.99 a 12-pack, you can't beat it!

3.28/5  rDev +41.4%

I was a little hesitant at first to try this beer. I had a bad experience with some Milwaukee's Best before and so I am always hesitant to try economy beers since...

I poured a pint can into a pint beer glass. Light foamy, almost soapy looking white head. A tiny bit darker than other economy brand beers, but still a pale yellow color.

Smelled of sweet grains and corn adjunct. Tiny, tiny, faint smell of hops is present in the smell.

Tasted better than it smelled. The sweetness that is present in the smell is hardly there in the flavor of the beer. Still has the taste of corn adjunct and pale malts. Still, it was surprisingly good tasting for an economy beer.

It has a crisp yet watery mouthfeel....

It is extremely drinkable for an economy beer. This Schlitz economy brand is quite good and I can see myself buying this in the future.

For being an economy brand it was good, and I'm rating it accordingly... I rate it for how it tastes with regards to what it is.

3.28/5  rDev +41.4%

Most of my family dont like this beer, is piss water, said; but for me is good, better i say than the anheuser busch family beers (macro´s of course), its palate is wide, smell like broiled hops, little herbal too; taste had a touch of yeast, rice and very soft for me; try direct from the can or serve in a pint glass; 85% recommended.

3.25/5  rDev +40.1%

Comparable to pbr, I don't know why theres so much hate for this beer. Its a good alternative to bud light, highlife, nat light, or keystone.

Its not going to challenge or excite your tongue. But it dosn't bother mine at all. I think pbr is better but this one is better that high life in my opinion.

3.24/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank from the can. Can see light yellow some little lace. Smell is yeast and adjuncts. Dry smell. Taste is dry and yeasty and adjuncts. Almost like PBR but boozier to me. Makes my face hot fairly quickly. I like it as much as my go to PBR

3.23/5  rDev +39.2%

Very Similar to PBR. As with PBR, I'd say avoid bottles and go with cans. Cheers!

3.22/5  rDev +38.8%

About on par with PBR and Miller. I'd say its better than both of them, slightly, but certainly it is not "America's Best Tasting Beer". Not as good as Coors or Budwesier, for comparison.
I actually find the smell fairly delightful, it smells a somewhat like plum blossoms.
It doesn't taste like much, but it doesn't taste bad. To me, cheap beer exposes itself when drank with food, and Old Milwaukee's flaws are evident, but its okay.

3.22/5  rDev +38.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a hunting season commemorative can, camouflage with blaze orange inlay. It really caught my eye this deer hunting season.

The color pale wheat, aroma, dry wheat, malt. Hard to pick up much if any aroma.

Easy drinking light lager. Nothing to write home about, but enough malt presence to keep it interesting. As with the smell, if I swish it around a dry wheat taste holds in my mouth. Perfect with a shot. Slightly sweet as it warms, but not overly. Needs a little more weight, and it could be a good everyday beer. This was the beer I remember my mom always drinking, and she kept it in the garage, no fridge.

"It doesnt get any better than this"...if this is all you got it isnt that bad.

3.21/5  rDev +38.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A crystal clear, straw-gold body is capped by a creamy bright-white head that holds well. Its retention is surprisingly good, and it leaves some nice lace to boot! The nose is exceptionally clean; with just a light touch of sweet malt. The body is light, and it's crisp in the mouth due to a fine-bubbled, median carbonation. Sweet malt makes up the entirety of the flavor, coming on strong at the start and slowly fading through the swallow. It's quite clean and devoid of any yeast characteristics. Adjunct is obviously being used at a high level as there's no real "grain" character present. It finishes drying with a dollop of sweet malt that receeds shortly. Very well made, but lacking in character.

3.21/5  rDev +38.4%

I figured I'd try something new while watching the Celtics/Lakers game, so I bought a sixer of Old Milwaukee. Well, here we go!

A-Nice yellow gold, darker than what I am used to.

S-Raw grains and some alcohol. About par for the course on this style.

T-Sweet corn, a little malt, and a little bit of alcohol. It starts out grainy, a hop shows up, and then it finishes sweet. I like it.

M-A little fuller than my standard fare, but light enough to be refreshing on a hot summer day.

D-Good. I could drink a lot of these on a hot day, or anytime for that matter!

3.2/5  rDev +37.9%

I poured into a pint glass to a couple inches of white head. It is pale yellow in color. The aroma is sweet malt. The taste is sweet malt and a bit grassy. At least it has some flavor to it, not much, but as least something. The mouthfeel is watery. The drinkability is limited to a mood when I need something watered down and cheap.

3.2/5  rDev +37.9%

Every time I buy this beer at the corner store the clerk looks at me... then looks at the case of OM.... then back at me and asks: Why are you buying "Old Man Beer???". (I'm 28)

I figure its because the "Old Men" have figured it out! Good tasting beer at a rock bottom price. You can also enjoy several of these w/o getting filled up fast.

Even the beer snobs get this beer wrong on blindfolded taste tests! Funny stuff indeed.

A. Pour a can in a glass... wait, wait, nope.. no head.... little bit of lacing. Looks like beer thats been on the table for awhile but bubbles do rise fast.

S. Smells like a cornfield. Corn and Grain odors drift up into the nose.

T. Ice cold watery taste with hints of corn and bitterness after you swallow. Very crisp...

M. Is Average. Actually its prob. way above average for this beers price range.

D. VERY HIGH... you could drink a case of this after a long, hot day hanging dryway, paving roads, or hiking up & down trails building boardwalks. Plus its cheaper than dirt so you can buy beer for the whole crew.

OM is a Blue collar beer from the Rust-Belt BUT the "Old Men" who drink this continue to get the last laugh when this beer continues to suprise the beer snobs winning taste tests throughout Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio.

Serve EXTRA COLD... almost freezing.
Great at cook outs, baseball games, after a long tough day at work or just chillin' in the ice shack or out on the boat.

You can find it for around $3 a sixer BUT straight from a bottle is best.

CHEERS "Old Man"