Old Milwaukee Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

awful

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
View: Beers (58) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Milwaukee Beer Alström Bros
BierFan

3.75/5  rDev +59.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz can poured into a tumbler glass. I'm reviewing this based against other macro lagers.

Appearance: It actually looks better in a glass than I thought it would. Pale clear golden yellow.

Smell: Good smell for a macro. Again better smell than I thought it would have. Grains and corn.

Taste: No skunkiness. Not much flavor but the style isn't known for big flavor.

Mouthfeel: Relatively thick feel. Very nice.

Drinkability: As far as American macro lagers go this is very easy drinking and might be my favorite.

09-10-2008 00:35:23 | More by BierFan
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.75/5  rDev +59.6%

Old Milwaukee has a thick, creamy white head and a clear rich golden color. Carbonation is high. Aroma is metallic, grainy, and faint. The taste is stereotypical American lager, but with more boldness and sweetness than others of its ilk. Mouthfeel is medium. OM has a good bite to it. Finish is crisp and clean. Overall, it is a good product and holds its own against even higher-priced competitors.

RJT

MaxOfMetal

08-26-2012 01:16:26 | More by MaxOfMetal
startreker

3.73/5  rDev +58.7%

No need to rate the appearance, as I drank it straight from the can. Before I review this beer, its been interesting for me reading about so many different beers, and how they rate on this site. One person may rate a beer close to a 5, and following that rating could be a 2 or lower. It truly does show, that taste is truly subjective. In other words, one mans paradise, can be another mans garbage indeed.

As much as I love a good craft beer, Samuel Adams being my all time favorite, closely followed by Highlands Gaelic Ale, Ive been searching for something that when funds are low, would make for a good go to beer. Genesee beer, is one that fit the bill for me (pardon the pun) But now Ive had the pleasure of trying Old Milwaukee. So now for my review.

S. Grains upfront, sort of sweet smelling. Not offensive at all.

T. Definitely what one would expect from a macro, and thats what I expected. Cereal grains, however a very nice malty taste as well. I realy enjoy the flavor of this versus a Budweiser, Miller, as this has much more of a bite with more flavor then the aforementioned.

M. Medium carbonation, not bland or watery but just right.

O. If anyone is feeling the pinch of how expensive things are getting these days, wich Im sure alot of folks are. I recommend giving Old Milwaukee a try. Its quite refreshing and quenching, a great working mans beer sure to satisfy!!

04-17-2012 22:26:30 | More by startreker
JoLight

Georgia

3.73/5  rDev +58.7%

Very light straw colored body and a stark white soapy head, which retains as a small ring of foam.

The aroma reminds me a lot of Pabst, but less sweet and less hops - more adjuncts. But nothing off-putting or unpleasant. A very original, pleasant beer aroma.

For the taste, you get clean and carbonated water with a bite, then a generalized graininess from the corn; and short after that, you get some barley malt white breadiness, with a sweetness that does not linger or stick out much. And soon after comes the grassy hop bite, which is soon cleansed from your palate as soon as it hits.

There is no after taste to speak of. The flavor it pretty bold, and reminds me almost exactly of Pabst Blue Ribbon, except the barley malt is less present, with no bready after taste, and the hops have a little less character.

The finish is super dry, clean, crisp, refreshing.

I seriously doubt that if I hadn't seen the price, I would not have known this was a budget beer. This is much bolder, more flavorful, rich, and delicate than say, Miller High Life or Milwaukee's Best Premium.

Even though I would buy Pabst over this, I still think it is a very fine beer, and should continue to be available to anyone.

01-15-2012 20:43:01 | More by JoLight
beerera4

3.7/5  rDev +57.4%

I was a little scared to try this but being a huge Pabst Blue Ribbon and Schlitz fan I said what the heck...So here we go.

Drank right out of the red, gold and white 16 oz can.

A: Drank out of the can.

S: Maybe some burnt corn, METAL, typical cheap amercan adjunct canned lager smell.

T: Taste was surprizingly refreshing and um, Good!. Definitly serve very cold on a hot summer day. Sweet beginning and finished up a little sour but not unpleasantly sour.

M: Decent mouthfeel. Medium carbonation, definitly a sessionable pounder.

D: Like I said, I can pound this brew. Much better than any BMC product in my opinion.

Overall, for $5.39 a sixer of 16oz cans, this will be my go to when PBR or Schlitz isn't available or if I'm not in the Micro mood or um, BROKE :)

09-05-2009 21:18:26 | More by beerera4
steeler

Ontario (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev +56.6%

Once again I get the Sleeman, Canadianized version of this beer, on to the review!

Appearance - Looks better than your average macro, a very nice golden yellow color.

Smell - Smells like stock beer, but not fresh, metallic. Just what you'd expect from a macro.

Taste - Nice, full bodied smooth stock beer taste. No hop bite, just smooth and the perfect carbonation level. Really good for a macro.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly full, carbonated, and definitely satisfying.

Drinkability - This is high, cold or warm this beer just tastes good, and goes down easy. For the price, one of my go to beers for the weekends.

For the price, this beer is one of my overall favorite discount macros, very well done, a simple beer that gets the job done. I like this one.

11-11-2008 05:38:57 | More by steeler
mattsone

Nevada

3.6/5  rDev +53.2%

Yeah - Old Milwauke is not a "premier" beer, nor does it try to be. But being someone from the upper midwest who appreciates a good beer, I can tell you that in most establishments up there you cannot get much beyond Miller Lite or Bud Light. What you are left with is domestics, and if you are going to drink a domestic beer, make it an Old Milwaukee. It has an unusual flavor at first, but it is distinctive and fulfilling. I personally find myself preferring an Old Milwaukee to any other mass-produced domestic beer, if a high quality beer is not available.

In short - Old Milwaukee is a solid American beer and can take care of you in a pinch.

07-11-2007 04:31:10 | More by mattsone
dedrinker

Kansas

3.58/5  rDev +52.3%

Serious yellow fizzy stuff going on here. It could be ginger ale until the corn kicks in - smooooth corn hoss, and the flavor is real mellow too. I bought a case of 16 oz. cans of this stuff in Pennsylvania, and I haven't looked back since (I can't see much anyway on this beer). But really, it's not a bad macro - totally harmless and almost flavorless, but it has a grip on the tongue and the adjunct cereal grain character is perfect for fishing, lunchtime, or warm joyrides. Finishes less corny sweet than most macros, so I can reach for one more.

01-22-2008 04:55:02 | More by dedrinker
foles75

3.55/5  rDev +51.1%

Well I tried this beer as a joke, but I ended up liking it.. 12oz can, and after drinking a few of these I went for a bud and I thought bud was way to bitter for my liking so I gave those away at my last softball game.. Where I am it is $11.67 per case of cans and I can't go wrong with that.. No hangovers for me with this brew,, It tastes great ice cold after work too..It doesn't break my wallet either. My new everyday beer or PBR... I'm forgetting about Bud products...

05-04-2008 17:55:48 | More by foles75
Rddymk

Indiana

3.53/5  rDev +50.2%

Smeone once told me I had to try Old Milwaukee when I couldn't afford a case of Bud. So here I am drinking my 4th one on Monday afternoon. Tricky beer. Couldn't discern any hops or grains, mainly water. However, it does promote a nice mouthfeel. Some beers in this category ring a bitter taste on the sides of the tongue but this one does not. I think my 30 pack was on the shelf for a while because it has a definate hint of age. I will call this one Old Mildue, but will buy again for the second fridge when things are desperate.

08-10-2009 21:16:04 | More by Rddymk
sgttibbs

02-07-2012 22:58:25 | More by sgttibbs
MirkoCroCough

Croatia (Hrvatska)

3.5/5  rDev +48.9%

Pounder can into pint glass.

Looks like beer. Clear and light gold.

Not bad. Malty and a whiff of alcohol. Beer smell.

Good. Not sugary or corny, just a muted beer flavor.

Nice carbonation. Not too much or little.

Very decent. Like a slightly boozier High Life but with less corn flavor and more malts. Absolutely worth the $18 for a flat of pounders.

12-23-2011 05:55:27 | More by MirkoCroCough

05-19-2013 17:48:26 | More by dsreeves
PintOHops

3.48/5  rDev +48.1%

Glass - Pint

A - Extremely clear yellow color with lots of visible C02. It produced a 2-3 finger fizzy white head that held a bit and then dissipated to a thin ring. It left a bit of splotches on my glass.

S - A touch of tart grape when swirled but otherwise I get clean grain aroma's with a bit of musky lager yeast. Nothing off putting to me like other Adjunct Lagers.

T - Hmm, clean grain with a slight artificial like bitterness throughout and a bit of dryness on the finish. I think I like the taste of this one over allot of the other popular BMC's because it doesn't have any off putting corny or musty lager yeast flavors that make me gag.

M - Lite-medium bodied with moderate crispness that doesn't burn off your tongue.

D - This has gotta be the best Adjunct Lager I've had since Schlitz and Olympia. It's very very easy to drink like most of em, and it didn't have anything offensive to it really. I would say give it a try and you might be surprised, I would probably pick it up again because it's so cheap.

03-18-2011 22:55:26 | More by PintOHops
greengorilla

3.48/5  rDev +48.1%

I poured a 16 ounce can into a pint glass.

The beer is pale yellow in appearance with a fair amount of white head that dissipated quickly.

The smell was a typical macro corn scent.

The taste was okay.

The mouthfeel was okay too.

It goes down real easy. This is one of my favorites to drink after mowing the lawn, but not exactly an award winner.

05-08-2009 18:34:29 | More by greengorilla
DaPeculierDane

3.45/5  rDev +46.8%

$1.50 12 oz bottle at Old Fashioned in Madison, WI. Ugly new label tries to court nostalgic but ends up offending them. Pours light yellow with some bubbles and a nice white lacing. Ultra transparent. Smells like…not much. Maybe a little corn and some veggies but really not a whole lot. Smooth and creamy with almost no taste. There could be malt and/or hops in this beer but its difficult to tell. There could also be corn or rice but again, I can’t taste much of anything. Drinks well though. Goes right down. Tastes clean. No noticeable adjuncts at least. Not overly sweet or carbonated. Just perfectly balanced, balanced…on nothingness. I’ll take a PBR over this but it beets most of the other cheap swill out there.

03-01-2007 20:01:43 | More by DaPeculierDane
MikeAAL

3.45/5  rDev +46.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A lighter beer, that's good on price.

Light, pale straw color. Fizzy, very carbonated. The head doesn't last very long.

Mostly smells like hops.

The taste is almost all hops and carbonation, a little bitterness. Everyone complaims how bitter this beer is, but it's not that bad. I like bitters though.

Light, carbonated and fizzy.

It's a good beer, cheap price. If it's cold, it's very refreshing. I'll pick it up once in a while.

02-08-2013 20:56:47 | More by MikeAAL
secondtooth

Indiana

3.43/5  rDev +46%

Pours a pale yellow, with a huge head of carbonation. Boasts of a large and detailed crown of lace, even. Delightful.

Nose is creamy and malty, very corn and barley-oriented. Hops presence is negligible at best. Fairly average.

Taste is sweet and adjunct but balanced. Very thin and easy to drink. Still, pretty well your typical adjunct lager, but a perfectly acceptable one.

12-24-2011 19:23:18 | More by secondtooth