2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Old Milwaukee Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

Old Milwaukee BeerOld Milwaukee Beer

awful

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
View: Beers (57) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Milwaukee Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 534 | Reviews: 223 | Show All Ratings:
hardy008

1.02/5  rDev -56.8%

Pours a pale yellow color. There was a one finger head which disappeared quickly. The smell and taste are both somewhat musty with a lot of corn on the nose. It is thin and watery without much flavor or character. I don't know how anybody drinks this. It was free to me, so I didn't lose any money buying it.

05-31-2009 23:13:14 | More by hardy008
Brent

Kentucky

1.05/5  rDev -55.5%

Mineral and salty, with a harsh finish that passes for hops. Tastes like some sort of medicine to clean out your colon (which is does pretty effectively, too).

08-24-2001 23:24:24 | More by Brent
kbnooshay

1.05/5  rDev -55.5%

Not much say here. Looks lighter and dirtier than piss. Almost sweet smell. The taste is nasty metallic horses ass. It might make you cry. The mouthfeel is that of getting stabbed in the face. Incredibly not drinkable. I would rather drink my own urine.

08-29-2005 02:44:51 | More by kbnooshay
bditty187

Nebraska

1.1/5  rDev -53.4%

Sickly gold, white head, minimal retention, no lace. Lightly sweet nose, adjucts I assume. Harshly metallic taste. Almost impossible to drink... it brought pain to my throat. I really can't tolerate "Old Mud". Frankly this is one of the worst beers I have had. Please stay away from it.

07-19-2002 13:16:55 | More by bditty187
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

1.13/5  rDev -52.1%

Can: Poured a lightly carbonated golden yellow color lager with a small foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of corn adjunct is way too powerful and gross. Taste is also dominated by the adjunct with too much sugar. Another bland offering from this awful brewery.

12-14-2006 15:45:53 | More by Phyl21ca
DirtyPenny

1.15/5  rDev -51.3%

It's been a little while since I had my first, and last, Old Milwaukee. I wouldn't normally review from memory, given that time can dull some perceptions or muddle others, but OM made a pretty big impression on me.

I had a can of this one Thanksgiving at a relative's house. It smelled of corn and the flavor was lousy with corn. The watery mouthfeel was the least offensive part of it. OM is where cobs go to die. Can't speak as to it's appearance as I drank right from the can.

There are better options out there, even in the category of cheap beer. Lesson learned: if you see the world "Milwaukee" on the container, odds are you should run for the hills.

06-30-2011 19:22:53 | More by DirtyPenny
Kwak

1.2/5  rDev -49.2%

Old Milwaukee
Not Pabst best beer ,light yellow tone little head empty taste
I paid $3.50 for one of these in the city and it was work to get it "and keep it" down. you aint missing anything here. I don't know
why they evenmake this crap!

11-23-2002 10:57:48 | More by Kwak
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

1.2/5  rDev -49.2%

710 ml can. Pours a clear straw yellow, really pissy looking, strange fluffy loose white head, no lace or retention. Smell is sweet, honey, metallic, maybe citrus. Taste is nasty, really pissy and sweet, strange metallic flavour. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation. One of the nastiest beers I've ever had and not what I would expect the Pabst Brewery.

02-19-2006 02:24:59 | More by Viggo
IntriqKen

1.25/5  rDev -47%

I need to finish this review fast because I can't finish the beer.
Pours a light golden yellow with a big white head that disppeared by the time I had turned around to close the refridgerator. No lacing.
Aroma is 'old man beer'...honest that is what I smelled...something very reminiscent of my dad and grandfather and the smell of beer at a ball game.
Taste is sweet cloying malts and corn. Nothing else
Somehow it manages to be both weak and watery leaving you wondering where the flavor is and sticky with an aftertaste that won't go away.
While the American Macro isn't one of my favorite style, this one is one of the worse I've tasted.

06-16-2006 01:31:20 | More by IntriqKen
bedford

Tennessee

1.25/5  rDev -47%

$5.99 for a 12-pack. That should tell you how crappy this beer is. This is the palest beer I have ever had. The pure white head is at first quite impressive, but soon fades to nothing. The only thing that distinguishes this glass from a glass of cold piss is the slight carbonation. The smell is of grain and not much else. Corn comes out the strongest. Taste is the same, that tangy grimace-inducing flavor common to macros. Corn. Aftertaste is no better. If you try, you can taste a little alcohol, which so far is the only reason to ingest this substance. As for mouthfeel, this beer somehow seems thinner than water. Very slight carbonation. Very drinkable if you have a cold. Don't try this at home.

11-12-2006 02:54:36 | More by bedford
subliminalurge

Iowa

1.25/5  rDev -47%

Never thought I'd try this one again after having tasted it in my youth, but when I saw it on sale for $5 for a 12 pack, I decided to give it a go...

Appearance: Who knows? Seriously, at this price range, who bothers with a glass? This is "pull it from the cooler and drink it from the can" material.

Smell: Oh the smell... I struggle to find a way to describe the smell in a way that will be taken seriously. It just doesn't smell like beer, even bad beer. More like rotten meat. As in a bacon wrapped bratwurst that's been sitting on a picnic table for three days. In July.

Taste: Not as bad as the smell, but still not great. Sort of an acidic taste. But not the good "hoppy / citrusy" acidity. More like a "stomach acid / vomit / bile" acidity. Very strong "fermented corn" flavor in the aftertaste, as well.

Mouthfeel: Sticky. Coats your tongue like honey and won't go away, no matter how much you want it to.

Notes: There's just no reason to buy this beer. I recently noticed the local Wal-Mart selling Miller High Life in a 12-pack of bottles for six bucks. I like High Life. It's certainly not my favorite beer, but it's much better than the "popular" Bud Light / Miller Lite type beers that sell for double that price. So, I've been giving some cheap beers another chance lately, after many years as a "beer snob".

Ol' Mil just doesn't fill a niche in the market. Its ABV is too low to be a good "cheap buzz" beer. And (oh god, I never thought I'd say this) Natty Ice tastes better.

If you want a cheap beer that will give you the most "buzz for your buck", then Steel Reserve is a higher ABV, lower price, and better taste than this stuff.

Stay away. Whether you're looking for "good beer" or a "cheap buzz", this isn't the beer you're looking for. There are better choices for both at the same price.

08-14-2010 18:21:29 | More by subliminalurge
proc

1.3/5  rDev -44.9%

This beer has a very strange aftertaste. For some reason, that taste can best be described as "tin". I believe it interracts with the can to form this taste. A watery beverage, that to be honest, wasn't that good. I think you must be over 60 to drink this beer as that is all I ever see buy it in the stores.

04-25-2002 10:27:16 | More by proc
BeerBelcher

1.33/5  rDev -43.6%

I had a really tough time getting past the smell of this beer. It is just unpleasantly cereal-y and reminds me of everything I don't like about bad beer. Combine that with a rather unimpressive appearance and a light yet unpleasant cereal flavor, and you have yourself a real winner here...I'd rather have a Miller Lite any day.

08-26-2007 03:17:14 | More by BeerBelcher
armock

1.35/5  rDev -42.8%

A - Poured a straw color with a white head that quickly goes away

S - Typical cheap macro bad grainy malt hint of alcohol

T - Of the macros that I've drank in the name of science this is one of the worst

M - No surprises here medium carbonation

D - I'll never drink this again not even on a dare this stuff it that bad there are better cheap as dirt beers out there

02-05-2008 18:52:22 | More by armock
granger10

Wisconsin

1.38/5  rDev -41.5%

Very pale color with a fizzy head. Head is large and dies instantly. Smells cereal grainy with a touch of corn. More taste than many macros but the taste is downright bad. A very strong metallic flavor lies in there combined with an adjunct corn flake flavor. Once the corn flake flavor leaves, the metallic flavor dominates and lingers in the finish. Body is a touch fizzy but a bit more substantial than some in its category. Maybe this used to be good, but I got a headache after drinking this can. Terrible.

10-15-2006 23:15:20 | More by granger10
changeup45

1.43/5  rDev -39.4%

Well, this is what it is. It can get worse, but not a whole lot worse. Very pale looking beer with very little head or lacing. Better than the Beast but still not much in flavor and has an old, musty, grainy, foul, malty, taste and aftertaste. At least it's cheap.

08-23-2008 21:54:05 | More by changeup45
nicksta

1.5/5  rDev -36.4%

At my days working in a grocery store I see a lot of people, mainly the elderly, buy this beer. People would come in 3 even 4 times a week and purchase 18, 24, and/or 30 packs of Old Milwaukee. After witnessing this I had to at least give it a shot. I obtained a 24 oz. can, cracked it open and took a swig. The taste was plain and flat, reminiscent of an Anheuser-Busch product. As sick as it was I thought at the very least, due to the lack of flavor, I could drink it quickly and move on. However, a terrible, extremely bitter aftertaste followed, as if overcompensating for the original weak taste. Overall the taste was grainy with a hint of corn. The aroma was unappetizing. It had little frothy head to get in the way, and the color was a thicker yellow than most. The only reason I finished it was because I spent my own money on it and by time I was done I was barely buzzing. If there was a beer worse than the swill Anheuser-Busch siphoned from the sewers, this would be it.

09-21-2005 21:10:40 | More by nicksta
TheDeuce

1.5/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Old Milwaukee...

I can't even follow my normal criteria for this one, Old Mil is your everyday normal adjunct-filled American lager with fans reminiscent of beast or Pabst looking back at it as if it were the greatest beer in the world. Well it's far from it!!! Flat taste, not so great appearance and minimal recollection soon after drinking of any difference from other mass-produced beers. Avoid if your at all a serious beer drinker, for beers with mass fan clubs though you could do worse.

10-06-2005 06:29:59 | More by TheDeuce
giblet

1.53/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

"best tasting beer in america" i suppose you can quote anyone you want. i promise that is not my quote. this is bad. granted i came out of a can or maybe THE can. very metallic. sharp carbonation. pale color, wierd smell and bad taste. this has to be ice cold and your mouth has to be Sahara dry to want it.

it is cheap that is about the only good thing i can think to say.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

07-27-2007 10:37:23 | More by giblet
BEERME528

Missouri

1.53/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This stuff is just nasty. It seems like anything that has Milwaukee on the label is just undrinkable. It has to be the worst of the value brands. I have to cringe in order to swallow it and I only do so when I have a strong desire to be drunk. Consider brushing your teeth after drinking one of these if you want anyone to talk to you.

07-21-2011 19:20:27 | More by BEERME528
Drew966

1.58/5  rDev -33.1%

Old Milwaukee Beer pours a very pale yellow with an enormous white head from a sixteen ounce can. The aroma starts out being sweet but then something chemical seems to pop up to the front. Bland, grainy, and unfortunately a chemical taste too. I have bad memories of this beer as a youth, instant hangover no matter how little imbibed. Avoid.

04-27-2007 00:50:08 | More by Drew966
SirSaranac

1.63/5  rDev -30.9%

A- Large white head.. no retention however. Definitely no lacing. Like pale yellow in color... crystal clear... highly carbonated.

S- Stings the nose of sour corn and yeast. No real malt smell, although a trained canine nose might be able to decipher it. poor.

T- Um, is that malt? I dunno. Corn dominates... metallic. Sour. Yeasty. Ugh.

M/D- Quite thin.. a slight bite. I wouldn't recommend drinking this stuff. Pretty tough to choke down.

04-05-2008 03:16:30 | More by SirSaranac
Portertime

1.63/5  rDev -30.9%

There is a reason my friends call this "old mill water" Tried this one when their was nothing else to drink. Poured a pale straw color with some fizzy shooting bubbles. Smells of some soaked cereal grains and a hint of malts. Tastes like watered down Corn Flakes with nothing jumping out at me at all.

04-19-2008 18:16:40 | More by Portertime
Beastdog75

1.65/5  rDev -30.1%

Old Milwaukee... the beer that claims to be "The Best Tasting Beer in America" according to the can. I will comment no further on the slogan and tell you what I think of the beer.

Old Milwaukee pours a pale straw/yellow color with a foamy white head that disappears in about 30 seconds. The smell is grainy, with some husky/musty type smell and the smell of alcohol. Very adjuncty smelling. The mouthfeel is watery. The initial taste is of grains, some malt, and the aforementioned alcohol. There is an unpleasing dryness/bitterness to this beer. Not the kind that is welcomed in a beer. The bitterness is more like what you would find in a bottle of Robitussin, and the alcohol taste tastes like it was poured out of a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Quite astringent. The aftertaste is mostly clean, but the taste of corn makes its way through. The beer concludes with a little bit of alcoholic warmth.

This is a cheap beer that tastes cheap. Not very pleasing on the palette whatsoever. In the line of cheap beers, Pabst or Stroh's is probably the way to go. Stay away from this stuff.

01-13-2003 22:32:25 | More by Beastdog75
Manosbeeroffate

Maine

1.68/5  rDev -28.8%

"It doesn't get any better than this" is the motto on the can. REALLY?? Drinking carbonated water? Pours quite fizzy, the head disappears quickly. The clearest yellow coloring you've ever seen. Taste? Well I can detect the slightest grainy malt flavor and that is it.Nothing but water. Granted this makes it very easy to drink, but how can you really call this beer. I wonder what a light version of this beer would be like.

12-13-2005 00:08:48 | More by Manosbeeroffate