Old Milwaukee Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

Old Milwaukee BeerOld Milwaukee Beer

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Milwaukee Beer Alström Bros
1.63/5  rDev -34.8%

A- Large white head.. no retention however. Definitely no lacing. Like pale yellow in color... crystal clear... highly carbonated.

S- Stings the nose of sour corn and yeast. No real malt smell, although a trained canine nose might be able to decipher it. poor.

T- Um, is that malt? I dunno. Corn dominates... metallic. Sour. Yeasty. Ugh.

M/D- Quite thin.. a slight bite. I wouldn't recommend drinking this stuff. Pretty tough to choke down.

1.67/5  rDev -33.2%

A: Pale yellow color very bright, grows a huge and thick foamy head, like a fungus beers;

S: Aluminum and pineapple syrup;

T: Corn, fermented pineapple and mineral water, you must drink it fast because if heated tastes like root-beer;

M: Fizzy, dry, very sweet and light body;

D: Isn't true the slogan that says "America's Best Tasting beer"

1.67/5  rDev -33.2%

Old Milwaukee... the beer that claims to be "The Best Tasting Beer in America" according to the can. I will comment no further on the slogan and tell you what I think of the beer.

Old Milwaukee pours a pale straw/yellow color with a foamy white head that disappears in about 30 seconds. The smell is grainy, with some husky/musty type smell and the smell of alcohol. Very adjuncty smelling. The mouthfeel is watery. The initial taste is of grains, some malt, and the aforementioned alcohol. There is an unpleasing dryness/bitterness to this beer. Not the kind that is welcomed in a beer. The bitterness is more like what you would find in a bottle of Robitussin, and the alcohol taste tastes like it was poured out of a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Quite astringent. The aftertaste is mostly clean, but the taste of corn makes its way through. The beer concludes with a little bit of alcoholic warmth.

This is a cheap beer that tastes cheap. Not very pleasing on the palette whatsoever. In the line of cheap beers, Pabst or Stroh's is probably the way to go. Stay away from this stuff.

1.68/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

So I went to my local liquor store looking for some "throwback" beer and I tripped across a 12 pack of Old Milwaukee. I am currently in that vein and have been drinking alot of PBR over these last couple weeks but am also looking to branch out to try as many beers from my pre-legal days and Old Milwaukee was a staple back then. I will go on to rate it a little bit later but I have to say the moment I popped the can and poured it into my glass, as I do with all beers...yes, I can be a bit of a beer snob at times, it brought back memories of cornfields, hay and barn parties as I grew up in the south central farm country in Illinois. I sort of smiled a bit as the aroma brought back memories as this literally was my first Old Milwaukee since high school. But, to the beer, I didn't smile for very long as the aroma brought those other memories as to just how bad this beer is. Now, the appearance is the best thing about it. The color is a clear, refreshing gold with a decent head, not a good head as it does disappear a little faster than I would like but the smell...total grain, well, not totally but grain/corn is the first aroma that you will notice. But, and here is the part where it can get a little repulsive...the grain taste is overpowering. It is very crisp when you first drink it but it goes south from there very fast. The crisp start finishes with an almost burnt corn aftertaste and the more of these you drink the more prominent it gets. I just polished off my third since I work from home so I can do that and that is as many as I could choke down as this aftertaste just keeps growing. It was good to try it but this one time is all that I need for now...I'm good for a few more years as it relates to Old Milwaukee. As beer goes, OMW is about as bad as it gets, but if you have very little $$, it's still beer as it is very cheap.

1.68/5  rDev -32.8%

"It doesn't get any better than this" is the motto on the can. REALLY?? Drinking carbonated water? Pours quite fizzy, the head disappears quickly. The clearest yellow coloring you've ever seen. Taste? Well I can detect the slightest grainy malt flavor and that is it.Nothing but water. Granted this makes it very easy to drink, but how can you really call this beer. I wonder what a light version of this beer would be like.

1.7/5  rDev -32%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Even worse than Budweiser, Miller, and Coors. Used to drink the 14 ounce cans twenty-five years ago in high school. A beer of mass consumption, with only one purpose. Only redeeming quality is cheap price. No taste, character, aroma, or complexity. Next.

1.73/5  rDev -30.8%

a: pale yellow with about a quarter inch of white head that dissapears rather fast leaving no lacing
s: corn grains no noticeable hop presence
t: corn taste and along with the aroma there isnt really any hop bitterness just kind of a gross sweet taste
m: light bodied beer with a lot of carbonation

overall its a cheap beer i believe a "dirty thirty" was only around $10 but i would much rather have passed on this

1.73/5  rDev -30.8%

Telling people that it doesn't get any better than this is just plain mean.

Smells like grain and adjunct metal. Tastes like grain and adjunct metal with a hint of fruit. Nothing impressive. Sits in my stomach like a rock. Seriously. It feels like I've been punched.

Not bad tasting, but way too fizzy. Avoid.

1.75/5  rDev -30%

On draft at a nice little biker bar I was at yesterday, been a long time so I enjoyed a few. I used to drink this from time to time back in the day, it was inexpensive and always made for a good camp fire beer. No redeeming qualities just good old cheap pale lager.

1.85/5  rDev -26%

Pours a clear yellow color. With little head thats gone within 30 seconds.
Do not get a very nice smell or any at all. Taste like water with some malt added in. Very little and I mean very little as about non at all. This is not really the best tasteing brew. But what else can you expect for five dollars a 12 pack. Ultimate budget beer.

1.88/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Pours very clear almost straw color into a mug or glass! Smells absolutely horrible like cooked vegetables and stale corn! No surprise the taste is not much better! Can hardly choke these down even on a hot day! If i were you i would spend the extra few bucks and get a PBR or any BMC beer over this one!

1.9/5  rDev -24%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Ah, this beer brings back fond memories of my underage drinking days in high school and college. Hanging out by the river with my buddies and some half naked women while guzzling six packs of this stuff and then waking up in the morning next to a girl that I don't recognize. Now on to the review. As expected, this beer pours a pale yellow color with a large one inch head that dissipated quickly. Aroma was very strong of corn/adjuncts along with a cooked vegetable smell. Not very good. Taste was slightly better as long as the beer was very cold. I could taste the ever present corny flavor with some malt character way in the backround. There was also a lemony/citrusy taste that was thirstquenching and pleasant in the 94 degree heat of the afternoon. Hop flavor was not present. The finish was very thin and watery in the mouth. As the beer warmed, I was unable to finish the can and had to dump it. Oh well. My memories will always be there, but I will not be drinking OM again. My tastes in beer have matured too much since then.

1.92/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

A: Pours a perfectly clear golden color with some big, perky bubbles of carbonation. The white head is initially tall, with a thin, foamy texture. Retention is below average, as the head dissipates fairly quickly. Minimal splotches of lace stick to the glass.

S: Faintly grainy and corny. There's some light herbal/grassy character, along with some light sourness. Really not much here to work with.

T: Thin, crackery malt flavor up front, with a firm dose of corny adjunct flavor. Hop bitterness adds a drying touch and some mild grassy flavor. There's a faintly sour twang with very light fruit punch notes towards the finish.

M: Thin body. Any malt heaviness quickly fades into a seltzery, dry finish.

O: No surprises - this is pretty bad. If you dropped a shot glass of PBR into a cup of club soda, it'd be pretty close to Old Milwaukee.

1.99/5  rDev -20.4%

Glass: Pint glass

2-finger head, sticks are a little longer that Pabst. Body is crystal clear straw with tiny bubble streams. Splashy lacing is nice.

Smell is pretty typical, strong on the lager yeast, a little astringent and light roasted corn.

Taste has nothing going for it. It's watery, has a vegetable quality from the yeast and an off-putting tang.

This beer is extremely similar to most macro lagers. I'd prefer Pabst, or bud over this.

Old Milwaukee must have been some fouls smelling place for this stuff to be named after it. Another in the line of "old man beers" this stuff has less of a corn taste than its counterparts. I rarely see this in most stores, just the high volume macro vendors.

First mistake, I bought a 12 pack of this. Bought it cause it was cheap, I was going to my buddies house, and I'm on college student wages.

It pours a light pee color. Small head. Tastes terrible and I'd rather spend the extra 2 dollars for a 12 of miller lite. I'm not a big cheap beer drinker I go for the more microbrewed beer so I might not be so good at judging these beers. But I didn't like it.

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

Poured this beer in a glass and drank it. Then the second time I drank it out of the glass and it did taste better, only because by the time I drank it I was feeling no pain. The first glass of this beer was bad, but a 100 degree's, it tasted so so. If it was under normal conditions, I'd have throwed it in the rose garden there!

2.03/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured from a bottle into a lager glass.

A - Pours a transparent yellow with a monster sized bubbly white head, standing four finger's in height.

S = Strong corn adjunct and sour grains. That's about it.

T - Strong rice adjunct. That's it. At least it tastes like something!.

M - Mouthfeel adds a slight cooked corn flavor and nothing more. Heavy carbonation, and an odd stickiness upon the tongue.

O - Overall, it's a cheap beer. Not impressive, but much better than that wrongly marketed flavored water know as Stroh's. But, it definitely doesn't hold up to it's lables claim as " America's best tasting beer ".

2.03/5  rDev -18.8%

This review is part of Macro Smackdown III, a ongoing competition between various macro lagers. Old Milwaukee is going up against Budweiser today and may the best beer win. For the first time in the series the serving types are different, but that couldn't be helped. Will glass give OM an advantage? Let's find out.

There's very little difference in color between the two, but this beer has a slight edge in that it's a quarter-shade darker, almost achieving amberness. The head is clearly superior to the head on the Budweiser. It's bone white with a semi-creamy consistency and much better persistence. Not only that, but it actually has some character (humps, pits, etc) as it falls. While there isn't a huge amount of lace, a few meaty chunks do manage to stick.

The noses are very similar, smelling primarily of untoasted grain/husk. The aroma on this beer is slightly more musky and spicy (and I do mean slightly). The floral Bud nose wins by a nose, but again, it's not a clear enough victory for different scores to be granted.

First of all, Old Milwaukee has more flavor than Bud. Second of all, it's better flavor. I didn't say good, I said better. I'm not sure what adjunct Stroh/Pabst uses, but it seems to me that corn (OM?) is a superior grain to rice (Bud). There's a little more sweetness on the palate with this beer and a little more personality.

The mouthfeel is still pathetically thin, but it's less pathetically thin than Bud's. It also holds its carbonation for a longer period of time and keeps the mouthfeel lively, even if the flavor doesn't impress.

Old Milwaukee isn't good beer by any stretch of the imagination. It is good enough though to have bested one of America's favorite beers, beechwood-aged Budweiser. Even though this is one of the more lopsided MacSmacks so far, I'm still not interested in ever having this stuff cross my palate again.

2.05/5  rDev -18%

This is no different from all the other mass produced swill I have poured down my throat over the past few weeks. It certainly doesn't taste bad, it simply just does not taste. I would never turn this Phil his arm extends with an old mil in hand with my name on it. Kinda hits the spot during my work breaks.

2.06/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a little head that's not dense and goes away fast. A lacing is almost there, but not very strong. Color is like golden water.

Smell is sweet and bready with a slight hoppiness that's refreshing.

Taste is watery and sweet. There's not much there.

Mouthfeel is slightly smoother than water.

Overall I wouldn't drink this again unless it was given to me on a hot day as a cool down beverage.

2.08/5  rDev -16.8%

OK I know I'm scrapin the bottom of the barrel here, but we all need to consume some mass produced crap to keep us honest and keep us abreast of what is out there. This stuff is, suprise, piss yellow with a large bubble, short lasting head. Not much nose to speak of. Ditto for malt and hops. It is cold and wet and did help me wash down my dinner.

2.08/5  rDev -16.8%

This pours in glass a yellow gold with a small head of foam that shrinks quickly leaving a fine layer.

The smell is a mix of malt and corn.

The taste is semi sweet; there's some malt and grain going on with some hop character that bitters it but the flavours are light on the palate. I haven't tasted this for years and I'm sure I'll not taste it again for many more years to come. Just too damn common and bland.

2.09/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Do cans, not bottles. Its really not that bad as far as adjunct beer goes. I'll take this over a Bud light any day. Definitely a bit heavy which sucks cuz its also very weak (like 4.5ABV I think?) but when I'm not feeling adventurous I'll grab a sixer of this (for $3.30 hahaha) and drink em nice and cold.

Old Milwaukee Beer from Pabst Brewing Company