Old Milwaukee Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

awful

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
View: Beers (58) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Milwaukee Beer Alström Bros
od_sf

barnzy78

11-28-2011 05:36:03 | More by barnzy78
hardy008

1.02/5  rDev -56.4%

Pours a pale yellow color. There was a one finger head which disappeared quickly. The smell and taste are both somewhat musty with a lot of corn on the nose. It is thin and watery without much flavor or character. I don't know how anybody drinks this. It was free to me, so I didn't lose any money buying it.

05-31-2009 23:13:14 | More by hardy008
Brent

Kentucky

1.05/5  rDev -55.1%

Mineral and salty, with a harsh finish that passes for hops. Tastes like some sort of medicine to clean out your colon (which is does pretty effectively, too).

08-24-2001 23:24:24 | More by Brent
kbnooshay

1.05/5  rDev -55.1%

Not much say here. Looks lighter and dirtier than piss. Almost sweet smell. The taste is nasty metallic horses ass. It might make you cry. The mouthfeel is that of getting stabbed in the face. Incredibly not drinkable. I would rather drink my own urine.

08-29-2005 02:44:51 | More by kbnooshay
bditty187

Nebraska

1.1/5  rDev -53%

Sickly gold, white head, minimal retention, no lace. Lightly sweet nose, adjucts I assume. Harshly metallic taste. Almost impossible to drink... it brought pain to my throat. I really can't tolerate "Old Mud". Frankly this is one of the worst beers I have had. Please stay away from it.

07-19-2002 13:16:55 | More by bditty187
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

1.13/5  rDev -51.7%

Can: Poured a lightly carbonated golden yellow color lager with a small foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of corn adjunct is way too powerful and gross. Taste is also dominated by the adjunct with too much sugar. Another bland offering from this awful brewery.

12-14-2006 15:45:53 | More by Phyl21ca
DirtyPenny

1.15/5  rDev -50.9%

It's been a little while since I had my first, and last, Old Milwaukee. I wouldn't normally review from memory, given that time can dull some perceptions or muddle others, but OM made a pretty big impression on me.

I had a can of this one Thanksgiving at a relative's house. It smelled of corn and the flavor was lousy with corn. The watery mouthfeel was the least offensive part of it. OM is where cobs go to die. Can't speak as to it's appearance as I drank right from the can.

There are better options out there, even in the category of cheap beer. Lesson learned: if you see the world "Milwaukee" on the container, odds are you should run for the hills.

06-30-2011 19:22:53 | More by DirtyPenny
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

1.2/5  rDev -48.7%

710 ml can. Pours a clear straw yellow, really pissy looking, strange fluffy loose white head, no lace or retention. Smell is sweet, honey, metallic, maybe citrus. Taste is nasty, really pissy and sweet, strange metallic flavour. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation. One of the nastiest beers I've ever had and not what I would expect the Pabst Brewery.

02-19-2006 02:24:59 | More by Viggo
Kwak

1.2/5  rDev -48.7%

Old Milwaukee
Not Pabst best beer ,light yellow tone little head empty taste
I paid $3.50 for one of these in the city and it was work to get it "and keep it" down. you aint missing anything here. I don't know
why they evenmake this crap!

11-23-2002 10:57:48 | More by Kwak
JIMTRK16

02-26-2014 19:22:05 | More by JIMTRK16
IntriqKen

1.25/5  rDev -46.6%

I need to finish this review fast because I can't finish the beer.
Pours a light golden yellow with a big white head that disppeared by the time I had turned around to close the refridgerator. No lacing.
Aroma is 'old man beer'...honest that is what I smelled...something very reminiscent of my dad and grandfather and the smell of beer at a ball game.
Taste is sweet cloying malts and corn. Nothing else
Somehow it manages to be both weak and watery leaving you wondering where the flavor is and sticky with an aftertaste that won't go away.
While the American Macro isn't one of my favorite style, this one is one of the worse I've tasted.

06-16-2006 01:31:20 | More by IntriqKen
DOCRW

Washington

02-23-2014 20:31:07 | More by DOCRW
subliminalurge

Iowa

1.25/5  rDev -46.6%

Never thought I'd try this one again after having tasted it in my youth, but when I saw it on sale for $5 for a 12 pack, I decided to give it a go...

Appearance: Who knows? Seriously, at this price range, who bothers with a glass? This is "pull it from the cooler and drink it from the can" material.

Smell: Oh the smell... I struggle to find a way to describe the smell in a way that will be taken seriously. It just doesn't smell like beer, even bad beer. More like rotten meat. As in a bacon wrapped bratwurst that's been sitting on a picnic table for three days. In July.

Taste: Not as bad as the smell, but still not great. Sort of an acidic taste. But not the good "hoppy / citrusy" acidity. More like a "stomach acid / vomit / bile" acidity. Very strong "fermented corn" flavor in the aftertaste, as well.

Mouthfeel: Sticky. Coats your tongue like honey and won't go away, no matter how much you want it to.

Notes: There's just no reason to buy this beer. I recently noticed the local Wal-Mart selling Miller High Life in a 12-pack of bottles for six bucks. I like High Life. It's certainly not my favorite beer, but it's much better than the "popular" Bud Light / Miller Lite type beers that sell for double that price. So, I've been giving some cheap beers another chance lately, after many years as a "beer snob".

Ol' Mil just doesn't fill a niche in the market. Its ABV is too low to be a good "cheap buzz" beer. And (oh god, I never thought I'd say this) Natty Ice tastes better.

If you want a cheap beer that will give you the most "buzz for your buck", then Steel Reserve is a higher ABV, lower price, and better taste than this stuff.

Stay away. Whether you're looking for "good beer" or a "cheap buzz", this isn't the beer you're looking for. There are better choices for both at the same price.

08-14-2010 18:21:29 | More by subliminalurge