Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Old Milwaukee Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

Old Milwaukee BeerOld Milwaukee Beer

poor

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Milwaukee Beer Alström Bros
2.97/5  rDev +13.8%

for what it is and after YEARS since i had any and ALL those stellar real brews i've had, wow, it looks more than decent. big head that laces quite nicely and complexly. looks good just sitting there. it's a deeper straw color than many macros...actually looks better than the 'new' Schlitz gusto formula...so sure, i'm going through a bad retro phase (in other words, fasting on this and PBR and the like until the first day of Autumn when i start my own oktoberfest....)!

smell is....thankfully more like some sort of warehouse packing foam instead of corn...or canned veggies...if the warehouse was an acre away. nothing special. or horrendous.

taste is a solid AVERAGE....not too sweet, but i'd rather it not be sweet at all (go try Schlitz 60's formula!)...but pleasant enough and i am sure tastier after riding my rigid 29er singlespeed for 3 hours this weekend...mouthfeel is pretty neutral. not sure if counts for a beer like this....

overall, i think in longneck this would be a bit better. super cold on a summer day...late summer can poured into a tulip doesn't quite cut it, but then, i should've had the DFH punkin ale after not before i had this.... (1,166 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

355ml can poured into a 16oz pint glass.
Can is pretty dinged up, but it did come out of a shopping cart full of singles...

A - Big effervescent head. Fizzles out in no time. Transparent golden-yellow.

S - A lot of sweet grains and some skunk. Really tame.

T - Flat, musty grain. Not terrible, just really one dimensional. There's really nothing else going on here.

M - Fairly light feeling body, with medium carbonation. Once again, not a lot else to say.

D - Overall not terrible for the style, but not a great beer overall. Maybe I'll remember it next time I need to find 24 of something cheap. (604 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +10.3%

Pale gold with a thin head. Very small amount of lace. Smell is sweet malty yeast. Not much. Taste is thin, yeasty. A little sweetness and very slight bitterness. Fairly sweet finish with the same on the aftertaste. Bubbly, carbonated, thin mouth. runs toward the sweet side as adjunct lagers go. Above average for the style in my opinion. Less offputting flavors than some other AALs. With Bud being at the bottom for the style and maybe Schlitz at the top, this is a little above the middle. (493 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -41.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This stuff is just nasty. It seems like anything that has Milwaukee on the label is just undrinkable. It has to be the worst of the value brands. I have to cringe in order to swallow it and I only do so when I have a strong desire to be drunk. Consider brushing your teeth after drinking one of these if you want anyone to talk to you. (335 characters)

1.16/5  rDev -55.6%

It's been a little while since I had my first, and last, Old Milwaukee. I wouldn't normally review from memory, given that time can dull some perceptions or muddle others, but OM made a pretty big impression on me.

I had a can of this one Thanksgiving at a relative's house. It smelled of corn and the flavor was lousy with corn. The watery mouthfeel was the least offensive part of it. OM is where cobs go to die. Can't speak as to it's appearance as I drank right from the can.

There are better options out there, even in the category of cheap beer. Lesson learned: if you see the world "Milwaukee" on the container, odds are you should run for the hills. (659 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -2.7%

A: Nice big white head. Very pale straw color. Crystal clear.

S: The smell is very light. A bit of a sweetness, some light grain and grass smells.

T: A touch of tartness, and some light grain notes. A little grass flavor, and overall watery with an odd aftertaste. There is almost a little bit of fusel flavor in there despite the low alcohol.

M: Watery, very high carbonation levels, almost unpleasantly active. The finish is certainly a little clingy.

O: Overall I am not impressed, lacks the characteristics better examples demonstrate. (547 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +33.3%

Why bother stating the color, head, feel and all that....hey it is OM. But I like it. It reminds me of what beer smelled like back in the 60s when if you opened a beer in a car with the windows up the smell filled the car. It reminded me of that...it is not that good but no beer is anymore in the U.S. with all the laws that have been enacted on the brewing process and preservation process. I remember when if you entered a room a few days after a beer party you could still smell stale beer. Now it is hard to smell a beer period....much less it leaving a lingering smell in a room. Back then a parent could walk into a room and if you had been drinking they could smell the beer. Now you can spill it on the carpet and 5 minutes later there is no smell. OM and a few others are the only mass produced beers out there that I can almost recapture that smell for just a few seconds after popping the top.

Ok it is cheap. It is not a boutique beer. It is for guys who don't make much money and work hard for what they do have. It, PBR, Bud, Miller, and so on really shouldn't be on this site...at least they should be separated from the Micros and boutique beers. they are everyday beers you order with pizza and burgers. They are working men and women beers and are not intended to be anymore than that. (1,305 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +16.1%

16oz can, nonic, 'JUN2011' on the bottom.

The color is a slightly deeper than usual yellow for macro and the head has pretty impressive retention for the same. There's a profusion of bubbles, the head is rocky, and you still know what it is.

Amazingly, the level of spicy, grassy hops is noticeable. Corn and a bit of DMS are as well.

Taste is heavy on sweet corn but a relatively pleasant little shop of hop oil is there, grassy and herbal.

Bubble, bubbles everywhere is what it feels like. Not quite as thin as some.

I think Old Milwaukee is definitely better than some others in the category and the price point, like PBR, is better than others as well. I suppose it doesn't really matter when you're drinking down on this level, and people who are not BAs and have a favorite macro to the exclusion of all others crack me up. Try Old Milwaukee if you need to drink down for some reason; I don't think you'll be especially disappointed. (948 characters)

When you can pick up a 30 can case of beer for $8.98 you know that that it just ain't going to "pack the punch" of the craft beer down the aisle that is selling for $8.99x6pk. But sometimes, SOMETIMES, quantity makes up for quality. The old "Old SWILLwaukee" of my college days is back with all of the gusto of a cheap beer. There just is no going back to college days, the ambiance of the frat house just doesn't exist in my computer "den". But, out in the garage, right from the old frig it goes down just right. (514 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours with two fingers of soap suds looking head. Lace has mild cling. Color matches a 2 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is of wet corn. Flavor has hints of corn and other cooked veggies, maybe a little hint of malt, and very light on the hops. Mouthfeel is about the best part of this beer. It is full and sort of creamy, and lots of carbonation. I had this beer in my younger days and I seems like the flavor has changed for the not as good. I would drink this if someone offered as to not hurt their feelings, but I would not spend my money on it. Maybe it will taste better from a bottle. (595 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -15.7%

Couldn't get much flavor out of this beer after drinking a Schmidt's right before it. I couldn't believe that the Schmidt's was a stronger flavored beer than Old Milwaukee.
Color - yellow
Mouthfeel - Watery with some Bubbles
Taste - very light, almost water
Aroma - Not much of one (282 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +33.3%

Glass - Pint

A - Extremely clear yellow color with lots of visible C02. It produced a 2-3 finger fizzy white head that held a bit and then dissipated to a thin ring. It left a bit of splotches on my glass.

S - A touch of tart grape when swirled but otherwise I get clean grain aroma's with a bit of musky lager yeast. Nothing off putting to me like other Adjunct Lagers.

T - Hmm, clean grain with a slight artificial like bitterness throughout and a bit of dryness on the finish. I think I like the taste of this one over allot of the other popular BMC's because it doesn't have any off putting corny or musty lager yeast flavors that make me gag.

M - Lite-medium bodied with moderate crispness that doesn't burn off your tongue.

D - This has gotta be the best Adjunct Lager I've had since Schlitz and Olympia. It's very very easy to drink like most of em, and it didn't have anything offensive to it really. I would say give it a try and you might be surprised, I would probably pick it up again because it's so cheap. (1,024 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -23.8%

Glass: Pint glass

2-finger head, sticks are a little longer that Pabst. Body is crystal clear straw with tiny bubble streams. Splashy lacing is nice.

Smell is pretty typical, strong on the lager yeast, a little astringent and light roasted corn.

Taste has nothing going for it. It's watery, has a vegetable quality from the yeast and an off-putting tang.

This beer is extremely similar to most macro lagers. I'd prefer Pabst, or bud over this. (447 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +82.8%

The boss needs beer...better make it the best.
Don't fool around when it's your turn to get the beer.

All that subliminal programming when I was a kid really paid off. OM is my favorite American Lager. Just a hint of hops, clean mouthfeel, goes down easy. This is a true American staple. Sure, if I have $9 to spend on a 6-pack, I'll pick up a specialty brew. Otherwise, it's OM for me. (388 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Yellow in color, with little in the way of head or lacing.

S: Creamed corn, corn flakes, and cabbage.

T: More of the same...

M: Light body, well carbonated.

D: Not one of the best adjuncts out there. It's flabby, overly-dependent upon corn, and has a cabbage off-flavor. (278 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +31%

This beer looks like your average lager. It is a straw color. The head was impressive when I poured it into my glass.

The smell is consistently clean with this brew. It has kind of a spicy smell.

The taste is pretty clean. It has a bit of spicy kick to it which is better than nothing. There is not much flavor but for this style the flavor is good.

The mouthfeel is pretty thin with this.

I rate the drinkability high on this because it is pretty easy to drink a lot of these which is how I rate this particular style. It is a great cheap lawnmower beer. This is one of my favorite cheap summer beers. (607 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +16.1%

Straw yellow appearance with lots of head that disappears quickly. Smell is sweet with a vegetable/corn lace to it.

Has a grainy, corn taste with very little malt. Picked up a hint of sweetness. Very light bodied (watery) with high carbonation. Leaves a crisp, corn aftertaste.

Overall, this is a generic lager, however there is nothing overly offensive and it is very drinkable. There are better beers out there, but good for a cheap beer on a hot day. (455 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +30.3%

This is best on a hot summer day when the beer has been iced down for a few hours. Very refreshing in this capacity. Its not as bad as its reputation, however its obviously nothing special. Light, easy to drink with a routine flavor of corn and grains typical of cheap american beers. (284 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -10.3%

16oz tallboy poured into a glass.

A- Pours a completely clear yellow/golden color with a billowy white foam head that slowly fades down to a ring. As far as adjunct lagers go, this one actually looks pretty good.

S- Sort of a residual sweetness with some light grain and grass in the nose. A bit of cooked corn maybe.

T- Solventy and sweet with just a touch of alcohol heat. No hops to speak of.

M- The carbonation is ok but this is even thinner than I was expecting.

D- Super low alcohol and barely any taste...I guess they would be easy to drink? (554 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -6.1%

Attended a firefighter fundraiser raffle. The wife won a "romantic dinner for two"...this included 2 frozen ducks, a pint of peppermint schnapps and a sixer of OLD MILWAUKEE....(some romantic dinner huh?). Anywho, I looked at this as an opportunity to give Old Mill a whirl.

Looks like any other BMC beer out there
Smells like any BMC beer.
Taste slightly better than a BMC.
Watery feel in the mouth.

Bottom line it's not my choice to purchase (I'd rather have PBR, Hamms, Old Style)....but it is a better buy (cost v. taste) that the BMCs (542 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Faint yellow, no head. Smells like Milwaukee in the morning (the city).

Taste, eh, I almost wanna say don't go there, but this is a beer review. Hops, malt, yeast, nothing, but there's lots of water in it. Kind of a weird aftertaste and mouthfeel to it, I have no idea what it is, other than not pleasant for the most part. Very cheap, hence, drinkable.

I shit you not this stuff was $29.99 for a 1/2 barrel at Discount Liquors in Milwaukee when I was going to Marquette. How many kegs did we kill of this during the 2003 Final Four run? (541 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +22.6%

I poured into a pint glass to a couple inches of white head. It is pale yellow in color. The aroma is sweet malt. The taste is sweet malt and a bit grassy. At least it has some flavor to it, not much, but as least something. The mouthfeel is watery. The drinkability is limited to a mood when I need something watered down and cheap. (333 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +25.7%

I was a little hesitant at first to try this beer. I had a bad experience with some Milwaukee's Best before and so I am always hesitant to try economy beers since...

I poured a pint can into a pint beer glass. Light foamy, almost soapy looking white head. A tiny bit darker than other economy brand beers, but still a pale yellow color.

Smelled of sweet grains and corn adjunct. Tiny, tiny, faint smell of hops is present in the smell.

Tasted better than it smelled. The sweetness that is present in the smell is hardly there in the flavor of the beer. Still has the taste of corn adjunct and pale malts. Still, it was surprisingly good tasting for an economy beer.

It has a crisp yet watery mouthfeel....

It is extremely drinkable for an economy beer. This Schlitz economy brand is quite good and I can see myself buying this in the future.

For being an economy brand it was good, and I'm rating it accordingly... I rate it for how it tastes with regards to what it is. (977 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -12.6%

So he goes for another mixed sixer of the best of the worst from the grocery store this weekend. I grabbed six more "gems" and did my best to get them all down. served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 08/22/2010.

i feel like i keep repeating myself but they all really do look the same when they pour out. this seemed to have a bit more retention then the others, but still just a light golden color with tons of carbonation coming up through the glass.

aroma of light grains, a touch of faint caramel, but then the skunked nose came though an killed it. same of the flavor, just not at all what i was looking for it. it might have had it for a second, but the wet hay, cardboard flavor just waved it all off. i coul imagine on a hot day you coul drink a ton, but not tonight, this just did not come across the way i needed it too.

overall, not my favorite at all. (894 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +22.6%

Every time I buy this beer at the corner store the clerk looks at me... then looks at the case of OM.... then back at me and asks: Why are you buying "Old Man Beer???". (I'm 28)

I figure its because the "Old Men" have figured it out! Good tasting beer at a rock bottom price. You can also enjoy several of these w/o getting filled up fast.

Even the beer snobs get this beer wrong on blindfolded taste tests! Funny stuff indeed.

A. Pour a can in a glass... wait, wait, nope.. no head.... little bit of lacing. Looks like beer thats been on the table for awhile but bubbles do rise fast.

S. Smells like a cornfield. Corn and Grain odors drift up into the nose.

T. Ice cold watery taste with hints of corn and bitterness after you swallow. Very crisp...

M. Is Average. Actually its prob. way above average for this beers price range.

D. VERY HIGH... you could drink a case of this after a long, hot day hanging dryway, paving roads, or hiking up & down trails building boardwalks. Plus its cheaper than dirt so you can buy beer for the whole crew.

OM is a Blue collar beer from the Rust-Belt BUT the "Old Men" who drink this continue to get the last laugh when this beer continues to suprise the beer snobs winning taste tests throughout Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio.

Serve EXTRA COLD... almost freezing.
Great at cook outs, baseball games, after a long tough day at work or just chillin' in the ice shack or out on the boat.

You can find it for around $3 a sixer BUT straight from a bottle is best.

CHEERS "Old Man" (1,526 characters)

Old Milwaukee Beer from Pabst Brewing Company