Old Milwaukee Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

awful

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Milwaukee Beer Alström Bros
3.53/5  rDev +52.2%

Smeone once told me I had to try Old Milwaukee when I couldn't afford a case of Bud. So here I am drinking my 4th one on Monday afternoon. Tricky beer. Couldn't discern any hops or grains, mainly water. However, it does promote a nice mouthfeel. Some beers in this category ring a bitter taste on the sides of the tongue but this one does not. I think my 30 pack was on the shelf for a while because it has a definate hint of age. I will call this one Old Mildue, but will buy again for the second fridge when things are desperate.

2.95/5  rDev +27.2%

Appearance: Light yellow, initially decent head that fades out.

Smell: Moderate corn aroma.

Taste: Mild sweet corn, a little bit of bitterness to keep it from being too sweet.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat heavy feel for a cheap lager.

Drinkability: The sweetness and (relative) heft knocks this down a little.

Picked up a cheap 12 pack for a campout. This was a family friend's #1 and only beer when I was growing up. It's not too bad for a "sub-premium" lager.

2.6/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

$11.49 a case, 12 ounce cans. I actually poured one into a pint glass so I could see the color and stuff for the review. This is one of the quintessential old school American adjunct brews. It isn't great, but it is definitely drinkable. Pale gold, a decent bit of head that goes poof quick. Taste is "beer" as imagined by that machine that makes Arthur Dent some tea in the Hitchhiker's Guide, I recognize corn, a bit of malty sweet up front, and a teeny tiny bit of hops on the back end of the deal. At this price point, nothing I've tasted is better. And anyways, What's Chewbacca's favorite beer? Old Milwookie!

1.02/5  rDev -56%

Pours a pale yellow color. There was a one finger head which disappeared quickly. The smell and taste are both somewhat musty with a lot of corn on the nose. It is thin and watery without much flavor or character. I don't know how anybody drinks this. It was free to me, so I didn't lose any money buying it.

3.48/5  rDev +50%

I poured a 16 ounce can into a pint glass.

The beer is pale yellow in appearance with a fair amount of white head that dissipated quickly.

The smell was a typical macro corn scent.

The taste was okay.

The mouthfeel was okay too.

It goes down real easy. This is one of my favorites to drink after mowing the lawn, but not exactly an award winner.

3.9/5  rDev +68.1%

Old Milwaukee. Five dollars for a twelve-pack at the drugstore down the street from my house. How cool is that?

Appearance: Normal yellow/gold macro beer color. Pouring it into a chilled mug brought forth a fairly thick one-inch head that quickly vanished. Minus one point because my girlfriend says the red-and-white pattern on the can looks "ugly".

Smell: The smell is above average. If there was an air-freshener with a "beer" fragrance, it would smell like Old Milwaukee.

Taste: Really not bad, quite a bit better than I expected. I had expected it to be a thin and watery brew, but it's actually full-bodied and a little on the rich side. There seems to be more than a hint of corn in the flavor; not as strong as Miller High Life, but the corn is definitely there.

Mouthfeel: This beer has medium carbonation, but it lacks crispness. As it warms to room temperature, the texture can become a little unpleasant, like a mouthful of soapy water.

Drinkability: Despite it's flaws, Old Milwaukee is pretty drinkable, although a little on the heavy side. If you're looking for a tasty and light session beer, I would recommend Hamm's instead.

Overall: Old Milwaukee is a decent adjunct lager at an incredible price, probably the best beer value on the market. Go for it if you want an inexpensive brew that gets the job done.

2.98/5  rDev +28.4%

Had a Schlitz and decided to try and Old Milwaukee, same company, not the same beer. Schlitz is far superior. It was almost like drinking a flat Schlitz. Nothing exciting, rather dull, not bad, no aftertaste, just kind of boring. Fairly drinkable and probably as good as Miller, maybe better, but nothing to make me run out and buy it.

3.2/5  rDev +37.9%

About on par with PBR and Miller. I'd say its better than both of them, slightly, but certainly it is not "America's Best Tasting Beer". Not as good as Coors or Budwesier, for comparison.
I actually find the smell fairly delightful, it smells a somewhat like plum blossoms.
It doesn't taste like much, but it doesn't taste bad. To me, cheap beer exposes itself when drank with food, and Old Milwaukee's flaws are evident, but its okay.

2.5/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Out of a 16 0z can this brew was a very pale yellow color with perfect clarity. The head was pure white, two fingers large and displayed average retention and moderate lacing. The aroma was slightly stale, pale malt, macro lager malt, dry grains, corn and minerals. The flavors were very dry and grainy, pale malt and some light hops. Clean and simple. The finish was a little off, however, bitter but not in a hoppy way. The mouthfeel was rough and foamy, the body medium/light and the carbonation high. If the finish and the body were worked on this one could be pretty good, but as is, even for the style, I found it sub-par.

3.05/5  rDev +31.5%

"dont hate it til ya drank it", i enjoy good beers and i enjoy getting trashed off of cheap beers, this is a GOOD cheap beer. when i drag a case of this into a shindig, most budlight drinkin AE visor wearin preps look at me like i'm a freak and ask me what i'm thinking... i have converted several people to this beer, all they have to do is set aside the stereotype and drink it

A - appearance was as expected, mostly clear, a little darker than budweiser's shade of yellow, a finger of head faded to the rim, i enjoyed the old-school can, made me feel patriotic

S - smell was more complex than i had initially expected, warm grainy and corn malts, with ripened fruit, a bit tinny, and dare i say "fishy" which probly wasn't intended but didn't turn me off

T - taste was malty and grassy and cornish with a slight hop cameo, not much stands out. lot of carbonation

M - nice bite, but not too much, creamy if you let'er slide around a little, feels light in the mouth, aftertaste is a dash of hoppiness and a grainy finish

D - this beer's price makes it incredibly drinkable, $17 for 30. there are several worse decisions if you dont have cash or your looking to get pied. infact, it's now a big player in what i buy (poor college career chasing student), however it's lighter sibling is an even more drinkable choice and won't leave you with as bigga spare tire if your worried about that sort of thing

BOTTUM LINE: the slogan "americas bet tasting beer" may be a bit ambitious, but for 50 cents a can it may as well be

2.25/5  rDev -3%

This is a brew that holds a nostalgic place in my heart. Had a case of these at about 45-50 degrees the day before my and my friends left for college. Stayed in the can so I can't say much about the color but the taste was decent considering the cost of the beers. Once again, considering cost, I would buy this beer. Great party stocker if you're expecting a lot of people.

2.35/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a 16 fl. oz. can marked 02029-D50621. This is one of those rare instances where the brand's light beer is tastier than its regular old stand-by. This pours pale yellow into the pint glass with about 1/2 inch of white, foamy head. Typical beer aroma of American pales with that sort of metallic, grassy, and lightly hopped scent. Lots of bubbling carbonation. Watery for the most part. There's something grassy with a slight hint of hops in the taste. Nothing exciting. Their slogan is "America's Best Tasting Beer."

3.1/5  rDev +33.6%

Originally tasted on October 31, 2007

It doesn't get much cheaper than this. ( Old Mil in a can ). A light clear golden with a large white head and big carbonation. Aroma is corn, grains, light citrus and soapy hints. Flavor is mild bitter malts, hops, corn, wheat. It is just a typical cheap macro swill but I find it refreshing and I sort of like cheap swill from time to time.

2.55/5  rDev +9.9%

There was a can in the fridge, so I decided I might as well review it. The beer poured a a yellow-tinted clear with a two-finger head caused by a vigorous pour that didn't last long. The smell is all corny malt adjunct. Taste-wise there's not a whole lot going on, it starts off with some sweet corn taste and then that goes away and that's it. The only thing this beer has going for it is how drinkable it is. It's slightly-alcoholic carbonated corn-water, but goddamn if it isn't crisp and refreshing after something like mowing the lawn or putting a new different colored door on the IROC-Z sitting up on blocks in the yard.

2.75/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured crystal clear and light yellow. Had a snow white head that didnt last long. Did leave some white head and bubbles around the edges. Actually had some lacing. Not a lot of lacing but a little. Smelled very light. No hops to speak of, just a little grain and corn. Tasted very light. Nothing there really, maybe some corn. Not much of and aftertaste.
Felt good in the mouth. I thought the carbonation was actually pretty good. I saw these at the store and thought, what the hell. Its been a long time since Ive had one, and thought I would give it a try. Actually not bad. Would make a good lawnmower beer.

1.98/5  rDev -14.7%

First mistake, I bought a 12 pack of this. Bought it cause it was cheap, I was going to my buddies house, and I'm on college student wages.

It pours a light pee color. Small head. Tastes terrible and I'd rather spend the extra 2 dollars for a 12 of miller lite. I'm not a big cheap beer drinker I go for the more microbrewed beer so I might not be so good at judging these beers. But I didn't like it.

3.68/5  rDev +58.6%

Once again I get the Sleeman, Canadianized version of this beer, on to the review!

Appearance - Looks better than your average macro, a very nice golden yellow color.

Smell - Smells like stock beer, but not fresh, metallic. Just what you'd expect from a macro.

Taste - Nice, full bodied smooth stock beer taste. No hop bite, just smooth and the perfect carbonation level. Really good for a macro.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly full, carbonated, and definitely satisfying.

Drinkability - This is high, cold or warm this beer just tastes good, and goes down easy. For the price, one of my go to beers for the weekends.

For the price, this beer is one of my overall favorite discount macros, very well done, a simple beer that gets the job done. I like this one.

2.78/5  rDev +19.8%

came back to this beer an hour or two after enjoying a weyerbacher pumpkin, and it tasted and smelled like absolute swill this time. made me nauseous. dumped after slowly struggling through the first 1/3.

head fizzes up to 1 1/2 fingers, then down to a ring that has a bit of trouble sustaining itself in a pint glass--in a narrower glass the cap can be impressively long lasting and leave more lace. the course bubbles are plentiful and even make an effort at leaving bits of lace, mostly failing.
smells of a meek, humble sweetness and some bland grain, cooked corn. hints of grassy hop. classic soon to be stale beer smell.
the taste is like the smell so far as the malt/corn is concerned. not a great deal going on, but not too bad. pretty hard to find the hops.
the body is light and the coarse carbonation doesn't always aid the cause, but a few cans later the carbonation actually seems much better. maybe i poured that first one wrong.
working on a 12-pack. so far don't really mind drinking it except at first for the seltzer qualities (followed quickly by a slight sense of flatness) and after a while the corn seems more and more emphasized. but hey i like corn flakes so why not have this sometimes? mmm beer on a cob.

2.13/5  rDev -8.2%

"America's best tasting beer." Yeah, right.

12 oz can poured into a pilsener glass. Thin fizzy head that quickly recedes to nothing. No lacing at all. Color is a clear light straw yellow. Moderate amounts of bubble activity.

Smell is a husky grain aroma and slightly astringent. Taste isn't much better. Slightly metallic and a hint of hops bitterness.

Mouthfeel is very thin and the carbonation has a scrubbing effect. Goes down easy enough, but I don't think I'll go back to this one.

3.75/5  rDev +61.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz can poured into a tumbler glass. I'm reviewing this based against other macro lagers.

Appearance: It actually looks better in a glass than I thought it would. Pale clear golden yellow.

Smell: Good smell for a macro. Again better smell than I thought it would have. Grains and corn.

Taste: No skunkiness. Not much flavor but the style isn't known for big flavor.

Mouthfeel: Relatively thick feel. Very nice.

Drinkability: As far as American macro lagers go this is very easy drinking and might be my favorite.

2.15/5  rDev -7.3%

Wow, I hadn't had this in years, and now I won't have to drink it again for several years - I hope. There's little about the flavor that resembles an all-malt beer. It relies heavily of yeast character, which is just a bit like the green apple found in Budweiser, but watered down and gone rancid. Avoid this one at all costs. Yes, it could have been more offensive, but it was still no treat to drink.

2.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Didn't pour it out of the can to be honest. Had a metallic smell. This is a decent, watery cheap beer to buy when you're reliving the ol' college days and playing drinking card games with some buddies. Has a quasi-sweet malt taste and the use of adjuncts is minimal. Very light hop presence but is not at all bitter or going to nuke your taste buds/stomach like other cheap American macros. Goes down light-bodied and smooth because of the wateriness, but this isn't horrible.

2.98/5  rDev +28.4%

Now that I finally know to judge beers per style I can take a deep breath and do this.

I love trying out the cheap lagers from time to time. I usually will get something good, then toss on a 12 pack of something cheap for fun.

Poured from a 12 once can into a glass I noticed it had a small bright white head with minimal lacing and a light golden hue.

I can't smell anything! Seriously, nothing at all!

It tasted strong of corn, and was fairly sweet with a fairly boring bland finish. A very faint bitterness hangs around at the end but quickly fades.

Light and tingly just as I expected.

Easy going down, after 2-3 you can't even tell you have started in. Overall I feel this is just a run of mill American Lager, nothing to write home about. But nothing to avoid, as it runs right along with the other "budget" lagers.

1.43/5  rDev -38.4%

Well, this is what it is. It can get worse, but not a whole lot worse. Very pale looking beer with very little head or lacing. Better than the Beast but still not much in flavor and has an old, musty, grainy, foul, malty, taste and aftertaste. At least it's cheap.

2.68/5  rDev +15.5%

A: Poured a very pale straw color, clear, with a moderate strong and steady stream of carbonation. The initial head was fizzy, about 1 finger high before it quickly settled to a thin frothy layer. Visible carbonation was moderate.

S: The nose was soft, with some fresh lemons, pale grains. Fairly neutral which was to be expected.

T: The initial flavor was sugary sweet cereal grains while a lemony tang is found on the finish. Overall some malt sweetness, lemons and dry honeycombs and was pretty much non-offending.

M: light, a little watery and with a fizzy effervesce detected on the tongue.

D: While wont blow you away it wont totally turn you off. A tad sweet, but fairly clean. Would drink if the greater of lesser options at a party but wouldn't spend my money at it. Average for what it is.

Old Milwaukee Beer from Pabst Brewing Company