Old Milwaukee Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 686 | Reviews: 242
3.4/5  rDev +46.6%

Not a bad macro, especially for about $6 for a 12 pack. It goes down easy and has a non-offensive, even moderately desirable, taste to it. Drink it ice cold, though. When it warms, its flavor diminishes rapidly. I would rather have Pabst, but not by much.

Plus, it was Steve McQueen's favorite brew. So that adds some cool points.

2.48/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into glass from can. Nice fluffy, foamy head on this one. Clear and yellow as expected. Smell is a bit stale and corny. Initial taste is suprisingly not terrible. Clean and bright american beer taste (corn) without much aftertaste. No hop taste or bitter finish. Just a straight-forward adjunct pale lager. Mouthfeel is nearly invisible for a ''heavy''. Not great but better than some of it's style mates.

2.65/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a clear light straw and has almost no head.
Smells like a malt beverage... with the delicious delicious smell of good ol' beer.
Tastes like regular beer too, nothing special but it does remind me of the beer I had when I was younger that I would taste from my dad.

2.17/5  rDev -6.5%

Pretty nasty stuff -- it has only a tangential relationship with the way beer should taste. I'm well acquainted with low-cost American beers (as my reviews attest), and OM is really at the bottom of the list as far as I'm concerned. I don't even consider it frat-party material (a la Milwaukee's Best) -- it just doesn't even try. Will not be missed if and when it fades away (except by some of my buds who went to college in the upper Midwest, and maybe not even by them).

2.7/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Another cookout at my neighbors. At least no light beers this time.

Poured a light yellow with a decent head and carbonation. smell is a generic stale odor, but not bad. Taste is clean with a slight grainy flavor. Goes down smooth & easy. Enough flavor to put it way ahead of any light beer. Good summer beer when served cold or session drinkers on a tight budget.

2.4/5  rDev +3.4%

This is the cheap version of Schlitz. Used to come in 14 oz. cans.
Not bad, but it has a funk of an aftertaste that I cannot quite describe.
Creamed corn?
Will only buy again when financial concerns dictate. For some reason, I do not think of this when I think of really good cheap American macros.
It's OK though.

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

2.66/5  rDev +14.7%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

Bought a 12 pack of this because they say this is Americas best tasting beer, and if you don't agree you'll get your money back. So I'm giving it a shot, if it's my best reviewed beer I won't ask for my money back.

Pours a very clear light yellow with a nice big fluffy white head. Nose is bad, it's a kind of stale hop lager nose that you get from all BMC beer.

Taste is actually not too bad for this style. It's not a great beer but it's got a nice malt character to it. The body strongly suffers from the adjuncts but there's still a nice hint here in the body. There's no hops to speak of. Mouthfeel isn't too bad, fairly creamy and thick - relatively speaking.

Overall I'd say it's a fairly easy drinking beer. Good for a game of beer pong or something like that, but if I'm going to sit down and relax with a good beer, I won't choose this.

3.71/5  rDev +59.9%

Old Milwaukee has a thick, creamy white head and a clear rich golden color. Carbonation is high. Aroma is metallic, grainy, and faint. The taste is stereotypical American lager, but with more boldness and sweetness than others of its ilk. Mouthfeel is medium. OM has a good bite to it. Finish is crisp and clean. Overall, it is a good product and holds its own against even higher-priced competitors.

RJT

1.67/5  rDev -28%

A: Pale yellow color very bright, grows a huge and thick foamy head, like a fungus beers;

S: Aluminum and pineapple syrup;

T: Corn, fermented pineapple and mineral water, you must drink it fast because if heated tastes like root-beer;

M: Fizzy, dry, very sweet and light body;

D: Isn't true the slogan that says "America's Best Tasting beer"

3.04/5  rDev +31%

16 oz tallboy can with a freshness stamp of JAN0410 on the bottom. Pours a crystal clear pale gold color with a large airy white foam that displays pretty good retention and leaves a few flecks of lace here and there. Not a bad looking AAL here.

Nose has more in common with pure seltzer water than beer, but there is a little bit of grainy malt on the nose. CO2 is by far the dominant scent though.

Taste is pretty clean with some husky grain coming through. A touch of stale cardboard flavor can be found along with a mild sparkling water taste. Not a whole lot here, but I can see this being refreshing when thirsty. Not bad for an AAL, pretty average actually. Has a pretty cheap price tag to boot, I got 6 tallboys for 4.99.

2.78/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured from can into pint glass. Poured a very light staw color with a 3-finger white head which disappeared in minutes.

Smelled like wet cardboard.

Taste was of bitter hops. Thats about it. Very little malt, no hop flavor or aroma is detectable. Just enough bittering hops to make you want to keep drinking.

Thin, watery, and highly carbonated.

It is what it is. And for what it is (an adjunct lager) it is pretty damn good.

2.64/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured from a 16oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a small head. Aroma is mild, some notes of corn. Taste is greatly lacking. Not much flavor at all here. Feels light in the mouth. Drinkability is fairly good. Overall there is not much to say, or like about this beer.

3.63/5  rDev +56.5%

I was a little scared to try this but being a huge Pabst Blue Ribbon and Schlitz fan I said what the heck...So here we go.

Drank right out of the red, gold and white 16 oz can.

A: Drank out of the can.

S: Maybe some burnt corn, METAL, typical cheap amercan adjunct canned lager smell.

T: Taste was surprizingly refreshing and um, Good!. Definitly serve very cold on a hot summer day. Sweet beginning and finished up a little sour but not unpleasantly sour.

M: Decent mouthfeel. Medium carbonation, definitly a sessionable pounder.

D: Like I said, I can pound this brew. Much better than any BMC product in my opinion.

Overall, for $5.39 a sixer of 16oz cans, this will be my go to when PBR or Schlitz isn't available or if I'm not in the Micro mood or um, BROKE :)

3.1/5  rDev +33.6%

I have to admit, I've always had a soft spot for Ole Mil. Pour is typical of beers of this style in both color and head. It also has the slight corn aroma associated with adjunct lagers. As far as taste, I'd much rather have one of these than a host of other macros. Real easy drinking as long as you get it drank while its nice and cold. I would say this is under appreciated as far as American macros go.

Poured into a pint glass this brew is a pale straw color with a fast white head (aggressive pours) that was gone as quick as it came. No lacing, no retention, thin corn and malt smell. Thin mouthfeel with some slight malt taste and a little grainy in the finish. Lets be honest, on a hot day at the lake fishing or boating, I could drink a lot of these, and for the cost, why not compare to some others (you know what I am talking about). Not something to give to guests, but for a refreshing brew on a hot day it is tolerable.

2.6/5  rDev +12.1%

Had a few cans of this at a buddy's house. Poured into a mug. Pours a pale yellow with a big bubbly white head on top. No retention, and little sticky lace globs on the glass. Smells of cheap grains and sweet malts.

The mouth is thin and wet. No carbonation bite at all. Flavor is muted grains, light bread, and finishes slightly buttery and sweet. This is a decent cookout brew, but that's about it. Honestly, if you must, there are better macros than this out there.

3.56/5  rDev +53.4%

Smeone once told me I had to try Old Milwaukee when I couldn't afford a case of Bud. So here I am drinking my 4th one on Monday afternoon. Tricky beer. Couldn't discern any hops or grains, mainly water. However, it does promote a nice mouthfeel. Some beers in this category ring a bitter taste on the sides of the tongue but this one does not. I think my 30 pack was on the shelf for a while because it has a definate hint of age. I will call this one Old Mildue, but will buy again for the second fridge when things are desperate.

2.94/5  rDev +26.7%

Appearance: Light yellow, initially decent head that fades out.

Smell: Moderate corn aroma.

Taste: Mild sweet corn, a little bit of bitterness to keep it from being too sweet.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat heavy feel for a cheap lager.

Drinkability: The sweetness and (relative) heft knocks this down a little.

Picked up a cheap 12 pack for a campout. This was a family friend's #1 and only beer when I was growing up. It's not too bad for a "sub-premium" lager.

2.6/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

$11.49 a case, 12 ounce cans. I actually poured one into a pint glass so I could see the color and stuff for the review. This is one of the quintessential old school American adjunct brews. It isn't great, but it is definitely drinkable. Pale gold, a decent bit of head that goes poof quick. Taste is "beer" as imagined by that machine that makes Arthur Dent some tea in the Hitchhiker's Guide, I recognize corn, a bit of malty sweet up front, and a teeny tiny bit of hops on the back end of the deal. At this price point, nothing I've tasted is better. And anyways, What's Chewbacca's favorite beer? Old Milwookie!

1.03/5  rDev -55.6%

Pours a pale yellow color. There was a one finger head which disappeared quickly. The smell and taste are both somewhat musty with a lot of corn on the nose. It is thin and watery without much flavor or character. I don't know how anybody drinks this. It was free to me, so I didn't lose any money buying it.

3.46/5  rDev +49.1%

I poured a 16 ounce can into a pint glass.

The beer is pale yellow in appearance with a fair amount of white head that dissipated quickly.

The smell was a typical macro corn scent.

The taste was okay.

The mouthfeel was okay too.

It goes down real easy. This is one of my favorites to drink after mowing the lawn, but not exactly an award winner.

3.9/5  rDev +68.1%

Old Milwaukee. Five dollars for a twelve-pack at the drugstore down the street from my house. How cool is that?

Appearance: Normal yellow/gold macro beer color. Pouring it into a chilled mug brought forth a fairly thick one-inch head that quickly vanished. Minus one point because my girlfriend says the red-and-white pattern on the can looks "ugly".

Smell: The smell is above average. If there was an air-freshener with a "beer" fragrance, it would smell like Old Milwaukee.

Taste: Really not bad, quite a bit better than I expected. I had expected it to be a thin and watery brew, but it's actually full-bodied and a little on the rich side. There seems to be more than a hint of corn in the flavor; not as strong as Miller High Life, but the corn is definitely there.

Mouthfeel: This beer has medium carbonation, but it lacks crispness. As it warms to room temperature, the texture can become a little unpleasant, like a mouthful of soapy water.

Drinkability: Despite it's flaws, Old Milwaukee is pretty drinkable, although a little on the heavy side. If you're looking for a tasty and light session beer, I would recommend Hamm's instead.

Overall: Old Milwaukee is a decent adjunct lager at an incredible price, probably the best beer value on the market. Go for it if you want an inexpensive brew that gets the job done.

2.97/5  rDev +28%

Had a Schlitz and decided to try and Old Milwaukee, same company, not the same beer. Schlitz is far superior. It was almost like drinking a flat Schlitz. Nothing exciting, rather dull, not bad, no aftertaste, just kind of boring. Fairly drinkable and probably as good as Miller, maybe better, but nothing to make me run out and buy it.

3.22/5  rDev +38.8%

About on par with PBR and Miller. I'd say its better than both of them, slightly, but certainly it is not "America's Best Tasting Beer". Not as good as Coors or Budwesier, for comparison.
I actually find the smell fairly delightful, it smells a somewhat like plum blossoms.
It doesn't taste like much, but it doesn't taste bad. To me, cheap beer exposes itself when drank with food, and Old Milwaukee's flaws are evident, but its okay.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Old Milwaukee Beer from Pabst Brewing Company