Old Milwaukee Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

Old Milwaukee BeerOld Milwaukee Beer

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Milwaukee Beer Alström Bros
3.28/5  rDev +31.2%

I was a little hesitant at first to try this beer. I had a bad experience with some Milwaukee's Best before and so I am always hesitant to try economy beers since...

I poured a pint can into a pint beer glass. Light foamy, almost soapy looking white head. A tiny bit darker than other economy brand beers, but still a pale yellow color.

Smelled of sweet grains and corn adjunct. Tiny, tiny, faint smell of hops is present in the smell.

Tasted better than it smelled. The sweetness that is present in the smell is hardly there in the flavor of the beer. Still has the taste of corn adjunct and pale malts. Still, it was surprisingly good tasting for an economy beer.

It has a crisp yet watery mouthfeel....

It is extremely drinkable for an economy beer. This Schlitz economy brand is quite good and I can see myself buying this in the future.

For being an economy brand it was good, and I'm rating it accordingly... I rate it for how it tastes with regards to what it is.

2.28/5  rDev -8.8%

So he goes for another mixed sixer of the best of the worst from the grocery store this weekend. I grabbed six more "gems" and did my best to get them all down. served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 08/22/2010.

i feel like i keep repeating myself but they all really do look the same when they pour out. this seemed to have a bit more retention then the others, but still just a light golden color with tons of carbonation coming up through the glass.

aroma of light grains, a touch of faint caramel, but then the skunked nose came though an killed it. same of the flavor, just not at all what i was looking for it. it might have had it for a second, but the wet hay, cardboard flavor just waved it all off. i coul imagine on a hot day you coul drink a ton, but not tonight, this just did not come across the way i needed it too.

overall, not my favorite at all.

3.2/5  rDev +28%

Every time I buy this beer at the corner store the clerk looks at me... then looks at the case of OM.... then back at me and asks: Why are you buying "Old Man Beer???". (I'm 28)

I figure its because the "Old Men" have figured it out! Good tasting beer at a rock bottom price. You can also enjoy several of these w/o getting filled up fast.

Even the beer snobs get this beer wrong on blindfolded taste tests! Funny stuff indeed.

A. Pour a can in a glass... wait, wait, nope.. no head.... little bit of lacing. Looks like beer thats been on the table for awhile but bubbles do rise fast.

S. Smells like a cornfield. Corn and Grain odors drift up into the nose.

T. Ice cold watery taste with hints of corn and bitterness after you swallow. Very crisp...

M. Is Average. Actually its prob. way above average for this beers price range.

D. VERY HIGH... you could drink a case of this after a long, hot day hanging dryway, paving roads, or hiking up & down trails building boardwalks. Plus its cheaper than dirt so you can buy beer for the whole crew.

OM is a Blue collar beer from the Rust-Belt BUT the "Old Men" who drink this continue to get the last laugh when this beer continues to suprise the beer snobs winning taste tests throughout Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio.

Serve EXTRA COLD... almost freezing.
Great at cook outs, baseball games, after a long tough day at work or just chillin' in the ice shack or out on the boat.

You can find it for around $3 a sixer BUT straight from a bottle is best.

CHEERS "Old Man"

1.23/5  rDev -50.8%

Never thought I'd try this one again after having tasted it in my youth, but when I saw it on sale for $5 for a 12 pack, I decided to give it a go...

Appearance: Who knows? Seriously, at this price range, who bothers with a glass? This is "pull it from the cooler and drink it from the can" material.

Smell: Oh the smell... I struggle to find a way to describe the smell in a way that will be taken seriously. It just doesn't smell like beer, even bad beer. More like rotten meat. As in a bacon wrapped bratwurst that's been sitting on a picnic table for three days. In July.

Taste: Not as bad as the smell, but still not great. Sort of an acidic taste. But not the good "hoppy / citrusy" acidity. More like a "stomach acid / vomit / bile" acidity. Very strong "fermented corn" flavor in the aftertaste, as well.

Mouthfeel: Sticky. Coats your tongue like honey and won't go away, no matter how much you want it to.

Notes: There's just no reason to buy this beer. I recently noticed the local Wal-Mart selling Miller High Life in a 12-pack of bottles for six bucks. I like High Life. It's certainly not my favorite beer, but it's much better than the "popular" Bud Light / Miller Lite type beers that sell for double that price. So, I've been giving some cheap beers another chance lately, after many years as a "beer snob".

Ol' Mil just doesn't fill a niche in the market. Its ABV is too low to be a good "cheap buzz" beer. And (oh god, I never thought I'd say this) Natty Ice tastes better.

If you want a cheap beer that will give you the most "buzz for your buck", then Steel Reserve is a higher ABV, lower price, and better taste than this stuff.

Stay away. Whether you're looking for "good beer" or a "cheap buzz", this isn't the beer you're looking for. There are better choices for both at the same price.

3.4/5  rDev +36%

Not a bad macro, especially for about $6 for a 12 pack. It goes down easy and has a non-offensive, even moderately desirable, taste to it. Drink it ice cold, though. When it warms, its flavor diminishes rapidly. I would rather have Pabst, but not by much.

Plus, it was Steve McQueen's favorite brew. So that adds some cool points.

2.48/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured into glass from can. Nice fluffy, foamy head on this one. Clear and yellow as expected. Smell is a bit stale and corny. Initial taste is suprisingly not terrible. Clean and bright american beer taste (corn) without much aftertaste. No hop taste or bitter finish. Just a straight-forward adjunct pale lager. Mouthfeel is nearly invisible for a ''heavy''. Not great but better than some of it's style mates.

2.65/5  rDev +6%

Pours a clear light straw and has almost no head.
Smells like a malt beverage... with the delicious delicious smell of good ol' beer.
Tastes like regular beer too, nothing special but it does remind me of the beer I had when I was younger that I would taste from my dad.

2.17/5  rDev -13.2%

Pretty nasty stuff -- it has only a tangential relationship with the way beer should taste. I'm well acquainted with low-cost American beers (as my reviews attest), and OM is really at the bottom of the list as far as I'm concerned. I don't even consider it frat-party material (a la Milwaukee's Best) -- it just doesn't even try. Will not be missed if and when it fades away (except by some of my buds who went to college in the upper Midwest, and maybe not even by them).

2.7/5  rDev +8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Another cookout at my neighbors. At least no light beers this time.

Poured a light yellow with a decent head and carbonation. smell is a generic stale odor, but not bad. Taste is clean with a slight grainy flavor. Goes down smooth & easy. Enough flavor to put it way ahead of any light beer. Good summer beer when served cold or session drinkers on a tight budget.

2.4/5  rDev -4%

This is the cheap version of Schlitz. Used to come in 14 oz. cans.
Not bad, but it has a funk of an aftertaste that I cannot quite describe.
Creamed corn?
Will only buy again when financial concerns dictate. For some reason, I do not think of this when I think of really good cheap American macros.
It's OK though.

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

2.66/5  rDev +6.4%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

Bought a 12 pack of this because they say this is Americas best tasting beer, and if you don't agree you'll get your money back. So I'm giving it a shot, if it's my best reviewed beer I won't ask for my money back.

Pours a very clear light yellow with a nice big fluffy white head. Nose is bad, it's a kind of stale hop lager nose that you get from all BMC beer.

Taste is actually not too bad for this style. It's not a great beer but it's got a nice malt character to it. The body strongly suffers from the adjuncts but there's still a nice hint here in the body. There's no hops to speak of. Mouthfeel isn't too bad, fairly creamy and thick - relatively speaking.

Overall I'd say it's a fairly easy drinking beer. Good for a game of beer pong or something like that, but if I'm going to sit down and relax with a good beer, I won't choose this.

3.71/5  rDev +48.4%

Old Milwaukee has a thick, creamy white head and a clear rich golden color. Carbonation is high. Aroma is metallic, grainy, and faint. The taste is stereotypical American lager, but with more boldness and sweetness than others of its ilk. Mouthfeel is medium. OM has a good bite to it. Finish is crisp and clean. Overall, it is a good product and holds its own against even higher-priced competitors.

1.67/5  rDev -33.2%

A: Pale yellow color very bright, grows a huge and thick foamy head, like a fungus beers;

S: Aluminum and pineapple syrup;

T: Corn, fermented pineapple and mineral water, you must drink it fast because if heated tastes like root-beer;

M: Fizzy, dry, very sweet and light body;

D: Isn't true the slogan that says "America's Best Tasting beer"

3.04/5  rDev +21.6%

16 oz tallboy can with a freshness stamp of JAN0410 on the bottom. Pours a crystal clear pale gold color with a large airy white foam that displays pretty good retention and leaves a few flecks of lace here and there. Not a bad looking AAL here.

Nose has more in common with pure seltzer water than beer, but there is a little bit of grainy malt on the nose. CO2 is by far the dominant scent though.

Taste is pretty clean with some husky grain coming through. A touch of stale cardboard flavor can be found along with a mild sparkling water taste. Not a whole lot here, but I can see this being refreshing when thirsty. Not bad for an AAL, pretty average actually. Has a pretty cheap price tag to boot, I got 6 tallboys for 4.99.

2.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from can into pint glass. Poured a very light staw color with a 3-finger white head which disappeared in minutes.

Smelled like wet cardboard.

Taste was of bitter hops. Thats about it. Very little malt, no hop flavor or aroma is detectable. Just enough bittering hops to make you want to keep drinking.

Thin, watery, and highly carbonated.

It is what it is. And for what it is (an adjunct lager) it is pretty damn good.

2.64/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 16oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a small head. Aroma is mild, some notes of corn. Taste is greatly lacking. Not much flavor at all here. Feels light in the mouth. Drinkability is fairly good. Overall there is not much to say, or like about this beer.

3.63/5  rDev +45.2%

I was a little scared to try this but being a huge Pabst Blue Ribbon and Schlitz fan I said what the heck...So here we go.

Drank right out of the red, gold and white 16 oz can.

A: Drank out of the can.

S: Maybe some burnt corn, METAL, typical cheap amercan adjunct canned lager smell.

T: Taste was surprizingly refreshing and um, Good!. Definitly serve very cold on a hot summer day. Sweet beginning and finished up a little sour but not unpleasantly sour.

M: Decent mouthfeel. Medium carbonation, definitly a sessionable pounder.

D: Like I said, I can pound this brew. Much better than any BMC product in my opinion.

Overall, for $5.39 a sixer of 16oz cans, this will be my go to when PBR or Schlitz isn't available or if I'm not in the Micro mood or um, BROKE :)

3.1/5  rDev +24%

I have to admit, I've always had a soft spot for Ole Mil. Pour is typical of beers of this style in both color and head. It also has the slight corn aroma associated with adjunct lagers. As far as taste, I'd much rather have one of these than a host of other macros. Real easy drinking as long as you get it drank while its nice and cold. I would say this is under appreciated as far as American macros go.

Poured into a pint glass this brew is a pale straw color with a fast white head (aggressive pours) that was gone as quick as it came. No lacing, no retention, thin corn and malt smell. Thin mouthfeel with some slight malt taste and a little grainy in the finish. Lets be honest, on a hot day at the lake fishing or boating, I could drink a lot of these, and for the cost, why not compare to some others (you know what I am talking about). Not something to give to guests, but for a refreshing brew on a hot day it is tolerable.

2.6/5  rDev +4%

Had a few cans of this at a buddy's house. Poured into a mug. Pours a pale yellow with a big bubbly white head on top. No retention, and little sticky lace globs on the glass. Smells of cheap grains and sweet malts.

The mouth is thin and wet. No carbonation bite at all. Flavor is muted grains, light bread, and finishes slightly buttery and sweet. This is a decent cookout brew, but that's about it. Honestly, if you must, there are better macros than this out there.

3.56/5  rDev +42.4%

Smeone once told me I had to try Old Milwaukee when I couldn't afford a case of Bud. So here I am drinking my 4th one on Monday afternoon. Tricky beer. Couldn't discern any hops or grains, mainly water. However, it does promote a nice mouthfeel. Some beers in this category ring a bitter taste on the sides of the tongue but this one does not. I think my 30 pack was on the shelf for a while because it has a definate hint of age. I will call this one Old Mildue, but will buy again for the second fridge when things are desperate.

2.94/5  rDev +17.6%

Appearance: Light yellow, initially decent head that fades out.

Smell: Moderate corn aroma.

Taste: Mild sweet corn, a little bit of bitterness to keep it from being too sweet.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat heavy feel for a cheap lager.

Drinkability: The sweetness and (relative) heft knocks this down a little.

Picked up a cheap 12 pack for a campout. This was a family friend's #1 and only beer when I was growing up. It's not too bad for a "sub-premium" lager.

2.6/5  rDev +4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

$11.49 a case, 12 ounce cans. I actually poured one into a pint glass so I could see the color and stuff for the review. This is one of the quintessential old school American adjunct brews. It isn't great, but it is definitely drinkable. Pale gold, a decent bit of head that goes poof quick. Taste is "beer" as imagined by that machine that makes Arthur Dent some tea in the Hitchhiker's Guide, I recognize corn, a bit of malty sweet up front, and a teeny tiny bit of hops on the back end of the deal. At this price point, nothing I've tasted is better. And anyways, What's Chewbacca's favorite beer? Old Milwookie!

1.03/5  rDev -58.8%

Pours a pale yellow color. There was a one finger head which disappeared quickly. The smell and taste are both somewhat musty with a lot of corn on the nose. It is thin and watery without much flavor or character. I don't know how anybody drinks this. It was free to me, so I didn't lose any money buying it.

Old Milwaukee Beer from Pabst Brewing Company