1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Old Milwaukee Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

Old Milwaukee BeerOld Milwaukee Beer

awful

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
View: Beers (57) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Milwaukee Beer Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last »
Ratings: 533 | Reviews: 223 | Show All Ratings:
BeerBateo

Ontario (Canada)

2.49/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Aight, ..this was my son's fave, cheap beerverage , and i'm pleased to say, if this got him through his 1st year at university, i'm ok with that.

Straight out of the can.. fellas, because this may be the closest you'll ever get your lips on someone that looks like that!

See: Platinum head with little memory, soft shoulders with a sheer layer overtop, blonde nectar, bubbly throughout and rising from the greatest little shoes.

Hear: I've heard this beer is great on price but you get what you pay for.

Smell: Sweet nothingness... but slight spice, as well.

Taste: In style and good on it's own.

Feel: Fresh, clean & satisfying. Stevia sensation teases.

Blanket: "And if you can't be with the one you love, honey...Love the one you're with".

AKA: Still's Swill

P.S: I have just been informed by my son that he no longer has to drink Old Mill as he can now afford better beer.

07-22-2013 23:09:54 | More by BeerBateo
PvtSnowball

2.58/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pint can, into my Leffe chalice. (thanks leffe, for the
"free" glass)

Bogus, almost clear yellow coloration, with a head that recedes almost as fast a Ted T's
hairline.

Smell: Holy carp!! It actually has a smell! Grain. To much, but at least
it's something.

Taste: Well.. Grain and alcohol. Ok.

Mouthfeel: Best part, moderate instead of water. pleasantly surprised by this.

Not bad for what it is. Better than most.

12-09-2013 23:59:50 | More by PvtSnowball
startreker

3.73/5  rDev +58.1%

No need to rate the appearance, as I drank it straight from the can. Before I review this beer, its been interesting for me reading about so many different beers, and how they rate on this site. One person may rate a beer close to a 5, and following that rating could be a 2 or lower. It truly does show, that taste is truly subjective. In other words, one mans paradise, can be another mans garbage indeed.

As much as I love a good craft beer, Samuel Adams being my all time favorite, closely followed by Highlands Gaelic Ale, Ive been searching for something that when funds are low, would make for a good go to beer. Genesee beer, is one that fit the bill for me (pardon the pun) But now Ive had the pleasure of trying Old Milwaukee. So now for my review.

S. Grains upfront, sort of sweet smelling. Not offensive at all.

T. Definitely what one would expect from a macro, and thats what I expected. Cereal grains, however a very nice malty taste as well. I realy enjoy the flavor of this versus a Budweiser, Miller, as this has much more of a bite with more flavor then the aforementioned.

M. Medium carbonation, not bland or watery but just right.

O. If anyone is feeling the pinch of how expensive things are getting these days, wich Im sure alot of folks are. I recommend giving Old Milwaukee a try. Its quite refreshing and quenching, a great working mans beer sure to satisfy!!

04-17-2012 22:26:30 | More by startreker
CFbeermaker

Wisconsin

2.58/5  rDev +9.3%

My father in law always has his mini fridge stocked with bottles of Old Mil. Since every time I'm over there I have 3 or 4 I figured why not review it. It poured a very light golden color. Not much head and what there was went away fast. It had a corn and grainy smell with no hop odor. Although the smell wasn't the best, it brought back some great memories of the "party days" so I bumped it up to 3.5 Taste was nothing much to get excited about. Carbonation was ok, maybe a little too much but not bad. I normally wouldn't say this but drink this stuff cold and fast. It’s a quantity over quality product.
A "must have" for any beer bong.

04-09-2007 13:26:58 | More by CFbeermaker
FlannelAvenger

Iowa

2.6/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

$11.49 a case, 12 ounce cans. I actually poured one into a pint glass so I could see the color and stuff for the review. This is one of the quintessential old school American adjunct brews. It isn't great, but it is definitely drinkable. Pale gold, a decent bit of head that goes poof quick. Taste is "beer" as imagined by that machine that makes Arthur Dent some tea in the Hitchhiker's Guide, I recognize corn, a bit of malty sweet up front, and a teeny tiny bit of hops on the back end of the deal. At this price point, nothing I've tasted is better. And anyways, What's Chewbacca's favorite beer? Old Milwookie!

06-07-2009 00:16:11 | More by FlannelAvenger
fakedelight

2.83/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from can into pint glass. Poured a very light staw color with a 3-finger white head which disappeared in minutes.

Smelled like wet cardboard.

Taste was of bitter hops. Thats about it. Very little malt, no hop flavor or aroma is detectable. Just enough bittering hops to make you want to keep drinking.

Thin, watery, and highly carbonated.

It is what it is. And for what it is (an adjunct lager) it is pretty damn good.

11-02-2009 01:07:26 | More by fakedelight
burgerandbeer

Arkansas

3.4/5  rDev +44.1%

Why bother stating the color, head, feel and all that....hey it is OM. But I like it. It reminds me of what beer smelled like back in the 60s when if you opened a beer in a car with the windows up the smell filled the car. It reminded me of that...it is not that good but no beer is anymore in the U.S. with all the laws that have been enacted on the brewing process and preservation process. I remember when if you entered a room a few days after a beer party you could still smell stale beer. Now it is hard to smell a beer period....much less it leaving a lingering smell in a room. Back then a parent could walk into a room and if you had been drinking they could smell the beer. Now you can spill it on the carpet and 5 minutes later there is no smell. OM and a few others are the only mass produced beers out there that I can almost recapture that smell for just a few seconds after popping the top.

Ok it is cheap. It is not a boutique beer. It is for guys who don't make much money and work hard for what they do have. It, PBR, Bud, Miller, and so on really shouldn't be on this site...at least they should be separated from the Micros and boutique beers. they are everyday beers you order with pizza and burgers. They are working men and women beers and are not intended to be anymore than that.

06-06-2011 21:22:22 | More by burgerandbeer
ilovemacros

4.23/5  rDev +79.2%

Why didnt I try this sooner. I guess I listened to the stereotypes about this beer. Picked up 2 6-packs of the 16 oz. variety at Wal-Mart in San Antonio. It was only $3.45 a 6-pack. well worth every penny. i should have bought more. We dont have it in my lil hole in the wall town. It goes down so smoothly. Has a hint of a sweet taste to it. I will definitely buy this the next time I head to S.A.

12-20-2012 04:16:36 | More by ilovemacros
beerera4

3.7/5  rDev +56.8%

I was a little scared to try this but being a huge Pabst Blue Ribbon and Schlitz fan I said what the heck...So here we go.

Drank right out of the red, gold and white 16 oz can.

A: Drank out of the can.

S: Maybe some burnt corn, METAL, typical cheap amercan adjunct canned lager smell.

T: Taste was surprizingly refreshing and um, Good!. Definitly serve very cold on a hot summer day. Sweet beginning and finished up a little sour but not unpleasantly sour.

M: Decent mouthfeel. Medium carbonation, definitly a sessionable pounder.

D: Like I said, I can pound this brew. Much better than any BMC product in my opinion.

Overall, for $5.39 a sixer of 16oz cans, this will be my go to when PBR or Schlitz isn't available or if I'm not in the Micro mood or um, BROKE :)

09-05-2009 21:18:26 | More by beerera4
TB2

3.28/5  rDev +39%

Every time I buy this beer at the corner store the clerk looks at me... then looks at the case of OM.... then back at me and asks: Why are you buying "Old Man Beer???". (I'm 28)

I figure its because the "Old Men" have figured it out! Good tasting beer at a rock bottom price. You can also enjoy several of these w/o getting filled up fast.

Even the beer snobs get this beer wrong on blindfolded taste tests! Funny stuff indeed.

A. Pour a can in a glass... wait, wait, nope.. no head.... little bit of lacing. Looks like beer thats been on the table for awhile but bubbles do rise fast.

S. Smells like a cornfield. Corn and Grain odors drift up into the nose.

T. Ice cold watery taste with hints of corn and bitterness after you swallow. Very crisp...

M. Is Average. Actually its prob. way above average for this beers price range.

D. VERY HIGH... you could drink a case of this after a long, hot day hanging dryway, paving roads, or hiking up & down trails building boardwalks. Plus its cheaper than dirt so you can buy beer for the whole crew.

OM is a Blue collar beer from the Rust-Belt BUT the "Old Men" who drink this continue to get the last laugh when this beer continues to suprise the beer snobs winning taste tests throughout Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio.

Serve EXTRA COLD... almost freezing.
Great at cook outs, baseball games, after a long tough day at work or just chillin' in the ice shack or out on the boat.

You can find it for around $3 a sixer BUT straight from a bottle is best.

CHEERS "Old Man"

08-17-2010 04:21:39 | More by TB2
hooverw1

2.98/5  rDev +26.3%

Had a Schlitz and decided to try and Old Milwaukee, same company, not the same beer. Schlitz is far superior. It was almost like drinking a flat Schlitz. Nothing exciting, rather dull, not bad, no aftertaste, just kind of boring. Fairly drinkable and probably as good as Miller, maybe better, but nothing to make me run out and buy it.

04-08-2009 01:52:47 | More by hooverw1
foles75

3.55/5  rDev +50.4%

Well I tried this beer as a joke, but I ended up liking it.. 12oz can, and after drinking a few of these I went for a bud and I thought bud was way to bitter for my liking so I gave those away at my last softball game.. Where I am it is $11.67 per case of cans and I can't go wrong with that.. No hangovers for me with this brew,, It tastes great ice cold after work too..It doesn't break my wallet either. My new everyday beer or PBR... I'm forgetting about Bud products...

05-04-2008 17:55:48 | More by foles75
comingbackdown

2.58/5  rDev +9.3%

It poured an "I haven't had water in a day and a half but I'm still taking a leak" piss yellow.
I could smell corn right off the bat. The head was gone in a flash.

I poured it into a clean piece of glassware. Totally clean, hand-dried, the whole shebang.
It did nothing for the beer. It had a slightly metallic taste off the bat.

The mouthfeel... Ugh! Oily. Very oily. It stuck to my tongue like a light, malleable glue. That is my least favorite part of this beer. I'd be a bit less scathing in my reviewing of this brew if they could only fix that... I'll see if I can get ahold of a bottle of it sometime, see if it's better out of a bottle. As far as my experience goes, if it's good out of a can, it'll be really good out of a bottle that's been stored properly. :)

Other than the metallic taste and the beat-you-over-the-head-with-a-baseball-bat graininess, it was alright. Funny though, I still tasted alcohol in it pretty strongly.

Drinkability... Meh... I wouldn't say I'd do more than one of these at a time. Once it gets warm, it doesn't go down so well... Kind of like drinking corked wine. It just doesn't want to go down, period.

Good for a hot day or a rainy night.

Twice when I was looking to get really drunk, I shotgunned one of these to keep it going. The second time was after half a bottle of Pinot Noir by myself, plus Famous Grouse Scotch and cheap vodka. I wound up with the hangover from hell. I can say this much, don't pair this with red wine. Ever.

Overall, it wasn't too bad.

The redeeming quality:
My girlfriend bought it in the first place to make Tastefully Simple Beer Bread. If I had the money, I'd make that stuff weekly, one loaf with this beer, one loaf with whatever I'm into at the time. :) It was goood.

Overall, this isn't too bad a beer, but I wouldn't jump up and down about it.

05-20-2008 17:32:16 | More by comingbackdown
reppertmr

1.98/5  rDev -16.1%

First mistake, I bought a 12 pack of this. Bought it cause it was cheap, I was going to my buddies house, and I'm on college student wages.

It pours a light pee color. Small head. Tastes terrible and I'd rather spend the extra 2 dollars for a 12 of miller lite. I'm not a big cheap beer drinker I go for the more microbrewed beer so I might not be so good at judging these beers. But I didn't like it.

12-09-2008 18:16:02 | More by reppertmr
IJReilly

3.4/5  rDev +44.1%

Not a bad macro, especially for about $6 for a 12 pack. It goes down easy and has a non-offensive, even moderately desirable, taste to it. Drink it ice cold, though. When it warms, its flavor diminishes rapidly. I would rather have Pabst, but not by much.

Plus, it was Steve McQueen's favorite brew. So that adds some cool points.

08-02-2010 16:51:43 | More by IJReilly
Bertman

3.2/5  rDev +35.6%

we had this the other night at our beer tasting club for our great american beer. it was offered in a blind taste test and overall it was recieved well. our goal is to get peolpe to try these old classics and not be detered by public opinion or the advertisment of big beer companies.

and if i recall this beer won 5 gold medals from 2003 - 2007 at the great american beer festival?

01-11-2013 20:39:39 | More by Bertman
EricTheJew

Missouri

2.8/5  rDev +18.6%

I've been beer slummin' lately; trying out various cheap beers. $11.99 for a 24 pack of this stuff. This will end up being either and incredible value, or a case of you get what you pay for. How bad can a fifty cent beer be? I can still remember fifty cent draws, afterall.

Okay, I am rating this beer according to its style. It is an American adjunct lager, intended for the working masses who don't have much green to throw out for "quality" beer. The first thing, serve this cold. Second, drink it from the can. The smell can be off putting if you pour it into a glass; sour grassiness mixed with a faint odor of...pee? As long as you drink it from the can so that you don't involve the olfactory organ, it's okay.

I was actually surprised by this beer. Rather than being a flavorless, watered down version of something claiming to be beer, it actually had flavor. Not great flavor, mind you. But flavor. It tasted of sweet grain with just a tad (a tad, mind you) of hops. The finish was nothing to get excited about; very short, but very dry. High amount of carbonation gives the illusion of more mouthfeel than is actually present. Served cold, it is very refreshing.

Overall, this is a nice beer, given its low price. I'm not a huge fan of this style of beer, but when I do drink it, I don't want to pay a lot of money for it. Lawn mower beer, yard beer, whatever you want to call it, it has its place. Old Milwaukee, served up cold, is a nice refreshing lager at a great price. When do you buy it? When it's on sale, and you've got a cookout that necessitates a large quantity of beer. Overall, very average,but sometimes that's all you need. Why eat steak when a burger will do?

This

01-25-2013 03:48:14 | More by EricTheJew
bedford

Tennessee

1.25/5  rDev -47%

$5.99 for a 12-pack. That should tell you how crappy this beer is. This is the palest beer I have ever had. The pure white head is at first quite impressive, but soon fades to nothing. The only thing that distinguishes this glass from a glass of cold piss is the slight carbonation. The smell is of grain and not much else. Corn comes out the strongest. Taste is the same, that tangy grimace-inducing flavor common to macros. Corn. Aftertaste is no better. If you try, you can taste a little alcohol, which so far is the only reason to ingest this substance. As for mouthfeel, this beer somehow seems thinner than water. Very slight carbonation. Very drinkable if you have a cold. Don't try this at home.

11-12-2006 02:54:36 | More by bedford
linc6

3.75/5  rDev +58.9%

Down here (SC) everything is Bud.... so OM isn't that bad !!! Goes down cold nicely. I used to drink this beer back in the early 70's, quantity over quality, and after drinking Bud Light and Miller Lite it's pretty good. Does Bud make anything worth while??

08-17-2007 23:16:24 | More by linc6
subliminalurge

Iowa

1.25/5  rDev -47%

Never thought I'd try this one again after having tasted it in my youth, but when I saw it on sale for $5 for a 12 pack, I decided to give it a go...

Appearance: Who knows? Seriously, at this price range, who bothers with a glass? This is "pull it from the cooler and drink it from the can" material.

Smell: Oh the smell... I struggle to find a way to describe the smell in a way that will be taken seriously. It just doesn't smell like beer, even bad beer. More like rotten meat. As in a bacon wrapped bratwurst that's been sitting on a picnic table for three days. In July.

Taste: Not as bad as the smell, but still not great. Sort of an acidic taste. But not the good "hoppy / citrusy" acidity. More like a "stomach acid / vomit / bile" acidity. Very strong "fermented corn" flavor in the aftertaste, as well.

Mouthfeel: Sticky. Coats your tongue like honey and won't go away, no matter how much you want it to.

Notes: There's just no reason to buy this beer. I recently noticed the local Wal-Mart selling Miller High Life in a 12-pack of bottles for six bucks. I like High Life. It's certainly not my favorite beer, but it's much better than the "popular" Bud Light / Miller Lite type beers that sell for double that price. So, I've been giving some cheap beers another chance lately, after many years as a "beer snob".

Ol' Mil just doesn't fill a niche in the market. Its ABV is too low to be a good "cheap buzz" beer. And (oh god, I never thought I'd say this) Natty Ice tastes better.

If you want a cheap beer that will give you the most "buzz for your buck", then Steel Reserve is a higher ABV, lower price, and better taste than this stuff.

Stay away. Whether you're looking for "good beer" or a "cheap buzz", this isn't the beer you're looking for. There are better choices for both at the same price.

08-14-2010 18:21:29 | More by subliminalurge
vikingstout

New Hampshire

4.8/5  rDev +103.4%

The boss needs beer...better make it the best.
Don't fool around when it's your turn to get the beer.

All that subliminal programming when I was a kid really paid off. OM is my favorite American Lager. Just a hint of hops, clean mouthfeel, goes down easy. This is a true American staple. Sure, if I have $9 to spend on a 6-pack, I'll pick up a specialty brew. Otherwise, it's OM for me.

03-10-2011 03:17:57 | More by vikingstout
Masivodano

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.04/5  rDev +28.8%

I bought these in cans and poured it into a glass.

For a cheap beer, this is a pretty safe bet. Has a slight sweet, corn taste, decent head, and while not terrific it is quite drinkable. I have had way worse beer and not all of them were as low cost.

It's a great beer to buy in bulk if you are supplying free beer for a BBQ or something.

07-01-2013 01:25:45 | More by Masivodano
mattsone

Nevada

3.6/5  rDev +52.5%

Yeah - Old Milwauke is not a "premier" beer, nor does it try to be. But being someone from the upper midwest who appreciates a good beer, I can tell you that in most establishments up there you cannot get much beyond Miller Lite or Bud Light. What you are left with is domestics, and if you are going to drink a domestic beer, make it an Old Milwaukee. It has an unusual flavor at first, but it is distinctive and fulfilling. I personally find myself preferring an Old Milwaukee to any other mass-produced domestic beer, if a high quality beer is not available.

In short - Old Milwaukee is a solid American beer and can take care of you in a pinch.

07-11-2007 04:31:10 | More by mattsone