Old Milwaukee Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

awful

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Milwaukee Beer Alström Bros
2.9/5  rDev +25%

A pint can, actually! On the pour, my first thought was, "Wow, the color is virtually non-existent. I just put a stream into the urinal that had more color than this!" Not a good start. I will, however, say this for the cheapies: they create a big, foamy, bone-white head with tremendous retention throughout. It was very impressive, actually. The nose was grainy, sweet, silage-like. On this last, if you have done any farming, you will get my drift. The mouthfeel was full and approaching creamy. There was a light sweetness in the mouth and on the finish. Did I get my $2.00 worth? Sure, but it was not something that I would scrounge for again.

2.1/5  rDev -9.5%

OK I know I'm scrapin the bottom of the barrel here, but we all need to consume some mass produced crap to keep us honest and keep us abreast of what is out there. This stuff is, suprise, piss yellow with a large bubble, short lasting head. Not much nose to speak of. Ditto for malt and hops. It is cold and wet and did help me wash down my dinner.

2.15/5  rDev -7.3%

Wow, I hadn't had this in years, and now I won't have to drink it again for several years - I hope. There's little about the flavor that resembles an all-malt beer. It relies heavily of yeast character, which is just a bit like the green apple found in Budweiser, but watered down and gone rancid. Avoid this one at all costs. Yes, it could have been more offensive, but it was still no treat to drink.

2.6/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a screw top 32 OZ Bottle that I bought for $1.19 at Vons.

Pours an ultra clear yellow brew.

Smell is sweet and corny with a cracker smell to it. No skunking or off smells to it.

Taste is fairly dry with just a trace of sweetness and a bit of grain flavor. Taste is pretty neutral it doesn't offend or wow you.

Mouthfeel is OK this isn't a brew that pretends to be anything other than a cheap lager.

Drinkability is equal to or superior that which the macrobrews have.
This is a brew that claims to only be a cheap yet drinkable and non-offensive brew and in that capacity is succeeds fully. I have drunk a lot of this with dinner when I hit the supermarket deli for dinner and just wanted a beer to go with say fried chicken. Which is exactly why I am even reviewing this brew here.

1.25/5  rDev -46.1%

3.25/5  rDev +40.1%

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

2.53/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured a light straw hue with a three finger pillowy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a sweet corn and a smattering of hop spice.

The taste was upfront sweet corn, with a thin graininess. The sweetness was heavy and enduring, as it lingered well after the swallow.

The mouthfeel was typical of a macro lager - thin and well carbonated.

Overall your average macro. May be sweeter than most however.

2.68/5  rDev +15.5%

A: Poured a very pale straw color, clear, with a moderate strong and steady stream of carbonation. The initial head was fizzy, about 1 finger high before it quickly settled to a thin frothy layer. Visible carbonation was moderate.

S: The nose was soft, with some fresh lemons, pale grains. Fairly neutral which was to be expected.

T: The initial flavor was sugary sweet cereal grains while a lemony tang is found on the finish. Overall some malt sweetness, lemons and dry honeycombs and was pretty much non-offending.

M: light, a little watery and with a fizzy effervesce detected on the tongue.

D: While wont blow you away it wont totally turn you off. A tad sweet, but fairly clean. Would drink if the greater of lesser options at a party but wouldn't spend my money at it. Average for what it is.

1.2/5  rDev -48.3%

710 ml can. Pours a clear straw yellow, really pissy looking, strange fluffy loose white head, no lace or retention. Smell is sweet, honey, metallic, maybe citrus. Taste is nasty, really pissy and sweet, strange metallic flavour. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation. One of the nastiest beers I've ever had and not what I would expect the Pabst Brewery.

1.75/5  rDev -24.6%

2.95/5  rDev +27.2%

Looks like white apple juice. Decent sized white fizzy head. Carbonation rises aggressively. Aroma is sweet and malty (in a macro kind of way) and a little grainy. Mouthfeel is fizzy. Body is medium. Taste has some decent maltiness to it for a macro. Just a splash of hops evident in the dry finish. Not too bad. I'd place it just about in the middle of my spectrum of Macro brews.

2.63/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Faint yellow, no head. Smells like Milwaukee in the morning (the city).

Taste, eh, I almost wanna say don't go there, but this is a beer review. Hops, malt, yeast, nothing, but there's lots of water in it. Kind of a weird aftertaste and mouthfeel to it, I have no idea what it is, other than not pleasant for the most part. Very cheap, hence, drinkable.

I shit you not this stuff was $29.99 for a 1/2 barrel at Discount Liquors in Milwaukee when I was going to Marquette. How many kegs did we kill of this during the 2003 Final Four run?

2.25/5  rDev -3%

2.9/5  rDev +25%

Pours a very light yellow with head that fades fast.Aroma is very light and somewhat bland. Somewhat sweet as well. Taste is very sweet, corny and light on aftertaste. Not offensive. Goes down easy. Just not impressive at all. It's not the worst beer I've had though so I'm going to give it an average rating.

2.08/5  rDev -10.3%

This pours in glass a yellow gold with a small head of foam that shrinks quickly leaving a fine layer.

The smell is a mix of malt and corn.

The taste is semi sweet; there's some malt and grain going on with some hop character that bitters it but the flavours are light on the palate. I haven't tasted this for years and I'm sure I'll not taste it again for many more years to come. Just too damn common and bland.

2.6/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from a 16oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a small head. Aroma is mild, some notes of corn. Taste is greatly lacking. Not much flavor at all here. Feels light in the mouth. Drinkability is fairly good. Overall there is not much to say, or like about this beer.

2.25/5  rDev -3%