Colt 45 Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

Colt 45 Malt LiquorColt 45 Malt Liquor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.61% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 08-24-2001

Introduced in 1963 by the Baltimore, Maryland-based National Brewing Company, Colt 45 was named in honor of running back Jerry Hill, who was #45 on the 1963 Baltimore Colts football team. Through high-profile partnerships with actor Billy Dee Williams and comedian Redd Foxx — who both appeared in radio, print, and TV advertisements – Colt 45 established itself as the premier malt liquor beverage by the early 1970s.

It was also during this time that the iconic slogan, “Works Every Time,” became synonymous with the brand. The Williams relationship lasted for nearly four decades, until he passed the torch to music mogul, Snoop Dogg in 2010.

With Snoop at the helm, we’ve entered an exciting new Colt 45 era.
Reviews by Wetpaperbag:

3.21/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

You don't get a colt 45 for the taste. But as far as I'm concerned it's not that bad. Good way to get drunk fast and cheap.If you want a sweet beer that's the choice too, almost no bitterness.

3.06/5  rDev +28.6%

Colt 45 Malt Liquor brewed by the Pabst Brewing Company. This brew has an abv of 5.61. Colt 45 brew pours out a nice amber color with a small white head. The smell of this brew is corn and beer, that is it. Nothing different from other malt liquors on the market. The taste is smooth clean and refreshing. There is no harsh after taste it is smooth. This brew goes down smooth. Nothing bad about this brew. Mouth feel is nice and smooth and refreshing. This malt liquor is one of the smoothest I had. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3 out of 5. I will get this brew again.

2.97/5  rDev +24.8%

From a quart bottle. Pours to an attractive thick white head and erratic but substantial lacing. Strange-looking clear tarnished gold color. aroma is sweet, alcoholic, but "vegetal" (asparagus?!) and grainy with no discernible hop character. Flavor is much of the same as aroma but very palatable and easy to drink. Mouthfeel is light and bubbly and surprisingly "smooth" as in it does not have astringency or excessive carbonic bite. Overall, this is drinkable and mostly unoffensive. Believe it or not. Not really good at all, but not bad. there are much worse cheap adjunct brews out there. I guess I'm not a beer snob after all. I reviewed this beverage on its merits as a cheap drink and party brew and give it no more than a 3.0 for any flavor or aroma ratings. Really. For the style, it is one of the best, but I'm not giving 4's all around for any "malt liquor" no matter how "on style" it is. Malt liquors are for getting a buzz, not craft beer savoring anyway.

3.85/5  rDev +61.8%

Colt 45 malt liquor has a pretty thick, white head and a yellow to golden color. Carbonation is higher than what is usually associated with malt liquors. Aroma is faint to nonexistent. The taste is mild, balanced, and has some bite to it. I'd say it has the stereotypical American-style lager taste profile. But, it is not too sweet. Mouth-feel is pretty light, but not watery. Colt 45 finished crisp and smooth. Overall, I rate this one very high. I enjoyed it and would recommend it. NOTE: only buy this in the can as the clear bottle allows light to spoil the product.

3.35/5  rDev +40.8%

This malt liquor has a dark bronze color to it with a nice study white head. I get a sweet corn husk aroma along with what I detect to be hops, could it be? Taste has that corn syrup malt liquor sweetness, but its not overly sick like some. There might actually be some hop flavor in here leveling this beer out. Finish is dry and lingering in alcohol. Drink cold like all malt liquors but this was more enjoyable than most. Not bad at all, seriously.

Graded on the "40" scale.

Colt 45 is the Cadillac of 40 oz beers!

Colt is not for the aficionados, it is a good malt liquor for the price. Get it in the 40 oz bottle do not bother with 16 or 24 oz cans its not the same.

The 45 is straw yellow and smells of booze it is wonderful if you can accept what it is... malt liquor.

2.06/5  rDev -13.4%

I strolled into the University Liquor Mart and said to the shopkeep: "Two of your finest malted beverages, sir". The store owner grinned and produced two cans of premium quality. The label read: Colt 45 Malt Liquor. This fine gentleman rang up a total of $3.50 and was even so kind as to provide complimentary protective brown paper covers (what a steal)!

Later on, as we parked our imported automobile in the campus parking lot, I began my pregame intramural volleyball warmup routine. I slid down the paper covering as though it were the undergarments of a fine woman of the night. The luscious aromas of corn, rice, and alcohol intoxicated my being.

I finally brought this divine creation to my lips and savored the rich, grainy, corn, rice, and alcoholic flavors. The elixir filled my mouth, leaving with it a light and airy reminder of its magnificence.

After taking several mighty gulps, I found myself in possession of an empty vessel. I signaled my completion of the beverage with a thunderous discharge of digestive gasses (which could be heard for several yards).

As my partner in crime mimicked my actions, we strolled towards the gym, pausing only at a trash receptacle to dispose of the evidence. It was at this time we vowed to never repeat these deeds. At least, not until next Tuesday.

3.64/5  rDev +52.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

(32 oz, twist off cap - some poured into a stemmed fluted goblet, the rest swill-ed)

A: very pale canary yellow liquid with jade tinges on the edges, crystal clear... attractive, spongy-cottony white foam - actually a moderate degree of retention... ample ballooning of foam on each pour, some crusty globs of lace here and there

S: slightly black peppery spicy phenols, delicate apple-y undertone, a bit of wet dead grass... no bubblegum notes, which I find in some malt liquors... mellow overall

T: kind of a dirty overtone, as if the beer was brewed with unfiltered 'potable' water running from rusty antique pipes... fair, mildly doughy malt foundation - slight buttery biscuit note on the tail end... little bit of a champagne-like note in the aftertaste, mild hint of corn meal... not terribly sweet, fairly clean... basically tastes like an adjunct lager with an enhanced/underattenuated malt profile... light-mild hop bitterness combines with a delicate boozy spice to balance... bit of a brown paper bag essence late

M: medium-plus mouthfeel, rounded, a touch plump... alcohol lends a mild drying sensation in the finish... bit of a masa-doughy film left on the palate

O: not bad at all... a little less of a rich flavor than an Old E (very fond of that one), the flavor of grain kernels sticks out... alcohol seems a notch or two more exposed... I'll stick with my Old E, though I won't refuse this when offered it

3.6/5  rDev +51.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Comes in the badass 40oz size. Pours a light yellow color with some decent foam and lacing. Aroma is strong, much like a typical malt liquor. Smooth and as someone mentioned, I would agree to it being PBR on steroids. Taste is very smooth and somewhat sweet. Malty/corny flavors. Not offensive at all. Goes down smooth. Cheap. It's got the hallmarks of a malt liquor. What more could anyone expect?

3.76/5  rDev +58%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

How in the hell can so many people hate this Beer? I Just do not understand it..Colt 45 is absolutely Fantastic,it's super smooth and taste sooo damn good!...I Think it comes down to Colt 45 being a "Malt Liquor" and How all the snobby Beer Critics Hate most all Malt liquors..why? because they are basically full of Shit,thats why, I am so sick of all these whiny,snobby,bitchy Beer snobs who slag and slam a Beer because it is does not cost 25 bucks a pint..WTF?
Colt 45 pours out a very nice straw/golden color,with a nice creamy head and lots of carbonation,it goes down smooth and easy and taste me,thats what I want from a Beer of this style,and Colt 45 Delivers everytime,it is priced right,it is available most everywhere,& is top notch for BBQ's,cookouts,parties,or just chillin out with friends or a night in..honestly man,dont listen to the haters & the snobs,Colt 45 is a VERY Good Beer & the rating of "Awful [55 or so] is utter Bullshit,try it for yourself my friend:)Cheers&peace2all.

1.75/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Whoa buddy... Banged a chunky chick twice after this beer

4.43/5  rDev +86.1%

mmm-mmm good. This beer has magical properties when consumed properly from a 40oz container. There should be another column in the ratings for "value" this would get a 6.0. $1.99 for 40 ounces of malt liquor bliss. A malt liquor for the true connoisseurs.

3.01/5  rDev +26.5%

if you look close enough at my pic, that's me as a baby playing with a Colt 45 can. since i can't get this brew in F-M, i picked up a six pack while home over thanksgiving. this beer holds a special place in my heart, since there is a story my parents told me about Colt 45 and how i was conceived. lol...anyway, on to the pours out pale straw with a nice big foamy head and all kinds of lace that sticks forever! the anticiapted adjunct aroma doesn't's even expected and welcome. a nice creamy mouthfeel is followed by a bit of alcohol afterbite. it tastes pretty good for a malt liquor, probably the best malt liquor you can buy even. goes down smooth and easy. a nice warming sensation is detected after a few of these (i got a sixer of 12 ouncers). a very good malt liquor.

4.16/5  rDev +74.8%

I will most likely be ridiculed for this review. However, having a fair amount of experience in the beer field, as in having drank many of those "specialty" beers, i gotta say my personal favorite is Colt 45.

Opening the bottle, nothing special. Looking in the bottle shows 40oz (or 22 oz) of fun. I slug it down, 2 or 3 gulps for the taste, 4 or 5 if trying to let it hit quicker. Smooth, flavorful, a delight for a hood dude. Goes in smooth, NO BITTERNESS (screw you, rolling rock and heiniken), leaves you in a happy mood.

My beverage of preference? Colt 45.

1.5/5  rDev -37%