Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Colt 45 Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

Colt 45 Malt LiquorColt 45 Malt Liquor

poor

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.61% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 08-24-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Colt 45 Malt Liquor Alström Bros

24 oz. can. Oh yuck! Another American mass-produced beer. This beer poured a small white head with small-medium sized bubbles that quickly diminished. There was no lacing observed with this beer on the sides of my glass. There was carbonation observed rising to the top. It had a fruity nose. (292 characters)

Malt liquor should not even be considered beer...

Presentation - Straw colour with little head and little lacing

Smell/Taste - Corn, sugar, and lots of alcohol, like, if you put an eyedrop of everclear into some MGD 64

Mouthfeel/Drinkability - Icky and I could not get past a few ounces. (290 characters)

Oh boy... Golden color topped with a white head that fizzles away. Just go ahead and brown bag it and drink from the bottle. Tastes very musty with dust particles, corn and low grade malts. There's decent amount of alcohol in this, especially for the price, but you won't see me getting near this one. Awful. (308 characters)

Was broke and wanted a beer. Not my proudest moment buying this stuff but for a couple bucks for a 40 who cares. It was expired a few months and came with a free one. Smells like old Budweiser that's been left in a red solo cup all night. I took a swig and damn it was so bad I spit it on my windshield. Tasted like old gym socks and pig feed corn. I threw that bottle out the window of my car. Nasty terrible stuff. Afroman lied to us (435 characters)

1.05/5  rDev -57.5%

Colt 45 and two zig zags, baby that's all we need...

So I bought this evil beer from a dirty convenience store in Oxford, OH, when a little bit tipsy. My friend and I decided to drink our Colt 45s while walking down the street. Not the best idea, given open container laws, and whatnot. I also think there are laws against transporting chemical weapons.

It's colored sort of a dirty brown, like fetid marsh water. I can't believe I'm gonna put this in my mouth!

Smells sorta sweet, a bit metallic.

Tastes like creamed corn and old grass clippings. As it warms, it tastes like creamed corn and old grass clippings that's passed through the devil's small intestine. It's utterly disgusting in every way. Just skunky, corny, alcoholic, and gross.

Light bodied, I suppose, a little fuller than most malt liquors.

This beer is just rancid. I couldn't even finish it, threw it in a dumpster. The sound of breaking glass was the most enjoyable thing about this one. (965 characters)

1.11/5  rDev -55.1%

While in college, this was the cheapest 40 oz. I could find... tastes like straight-up gasoline... Would not recommend this beer unless you were trying to get wasted for under $3.50.... Horrible gasoline-oil taste becomes nauseating after a while.... Although, if you can force down the first one, the rest go down a bit easier... Cheap, ghetto, strong malt liquor that should be avoided at all costs... Somehwat attractive when you're living off $50 a week... Unless you lack dignity and taste buds, ignore this "beer" that might as well have been brewed by Exxon... (567 characters)

1.16/5  rDev -53%

Bought this one out of curiousity about this imfamous style. I expected the worst and yes it was bad but not as bad as I thought it would be.

Poured a pale, clear, yellow with a fizzy white head. Too my surprise, the head stuck around for a while but left no lacing. The smell was pretty bad of stale malts and unpleasant fuel-like alcohol. The taste was at first very watery but then a bit of cheap barley and corn came through. Mostly alcohol flavors dominated and not in a good way, like watered down, cheap, vodka, mixed with miller light.

Very watery in the mouth with some alcohol sting, not much more but could be worse. This was a hard beer to drink and I could feel a head ache coming. Rather than waste it, I split it with a friend. Glad I tried it but I will stay clear of the style in the future. (810 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -51.4%

40oz bottle white elephant gift. Gee, thanks. Unsightly clear yellowish color with a thin and fizzy white head with little retention. Minimal lacing. Aroma of corn, hay, and grain. Light body with a vegetal character. More corn and other farm-related flavors. The finish is an adjunct-ridden mess of corn and maybe some malt and/or hops. The only thing about Colt 45 I can see working every time is reminding people to appreciate the good beers they can buy instead of this stuff. (480 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -48.2%

Pale gold with a white 1 finger head which is gone quickly. Smells of sweet malt, grain, and cheap alcohol. This taste like one cheap nasty beer. Corn, grain. sweet malt, some alcohol. Not at all pleasant.

Light to medium bodied, low carbonation, nothing to write home about. This was left over after a get together. I wonder why? (331 characters)

1.29/5  rDev -47.8%

So, he decides to bring back two Malts with him as well, eesh. My journey into the bottom of the barrel continues. We did a side by side with this and Steel Reserve. Consumed on 08/09/2010.

It had been a long time since me and Billy D had hung out together so I was laughing my butt off when this one showed up at the tasting. The pour was better then I thought with a medium amber color and a head of about two inches that stuck around for a few moments before falling into the same path as the others with a crystal clear, dark color with tiny strings of bubbles that were coming up through the glass. Aroma is of corn, alcohol, wet hay, and just a mess. Really just astringent and not very appetizing at all. Every sip seemed to bring a similar reaction from me as I struggled to get this one down before finally pouring the rest out. Just not a redeeming quality as far as taste, and I generally do not mind the style terribly, but this was atrocious.

Overall all I can say is not for me. It is going to be a fun couple weeks as I take a turn away from the rare and big guns and try and knock out this list of grocery store staples. (1,138 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -47.4%

This is one of the few malt liquors I have tried. A cheap 40oz favorite of a late friend(God rest his soul). The color is bad, the smell is not any better and drinkablity should only be done quickly. (201 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -46.6%

The first of our terrible beer sampling. Six beers sampled in a blind tasting. 40 oz. bottle poured into a tumbler.

Appearance - Yellow body, very clear, with a white head.

Smell - Sweet and revolting. Smells like fusel and corn.

Taste - Crisp, light, nothingness, except for the adjunct flavors that separate this from water.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied, of course, with high carbonation. It's drinkable, except for the taste. It's like drinking putrid water.

Overall - Bad, but drinkable because there's really nothing there. (529 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -46.6%

It happened again.
No matter how hard I try to provide good beer to the people of Minneapolis, there are some who are unsatisfied with my selections at the Blue Nile, even when it comes to high alcohol brews. I've got Expedition Stout, Kasteel Donker, Caracole Nostradamus, Westmalle Dubbel, Duvel...they're all much stronger....must be something in the flavor that caused a certain individual to smuggle a 6-pack of Colt 45 into a booth. I kicked the miscreant out, and saved these cans for myself...he must know something I don't, right?
One way to find out!
(oh, and since he was drinking it warm, I figure that was the optimum condition)

Fsssht!!!
glug, glug, glug...
plain golden cast, majestic snowy head, dwindles in a hurry...
wickedly sweet nose, rough and rugged, raw alcohol peeking through...
in the mouth, an unbalanced, belligerent oaf strides along...spitting, stumbling, spilling anything unchained-down...although he is kind to you if your aim is pain, and heart's journey is merely obliterating your consciousness. You overlook the lack of flavor, grit your teeth and grimace, seeing the star you seek at tunnel's end, yourself and your brain, no longer on speaking terms...
bang, bang, bang!!!
"Hello, it's me, drunkenness! Billy Dee sent me! I work every time!"

“It is time to get drunk!
So that you may not be the martyred slaves of Time,
get drunk, get drunk,
and never pause for rest!
With wine, poetry, or virtue,
as you choose!”

— Charles Baudelaire (1821 – 1867)

OR WITH MALT LIKKA!

thanks to Larry Bell, for inspiring the quote, however inadvertently... (1,613 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -46.2%

This malt liquor is horrid. The stuff looks like a concentrated Budweiser with a healthy dose of horse or cow urine. It smells like fermented infection juice. The delicate flavor is that of gasoline and rotting corn. If you’ve ever wondered what a chemical cocktail would taste like 3 months past its born-on date, this stuff is it. Enjoy! (340 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -44.9%

Wow... How could a beer be bad in every way possible? Easy answer: It is consumed in mass quantities in the ghetto. This beer is outright horrible.. disgusting taste, bad smell, disturbing color.... I honestly cannot think of a nice thing to say here... (253 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -44.9%

You think that Henie is skunky? Think again. This stuff tastes like ass as soon as it comes from the brewery, and it doesn't get any better with age.

Foul. Foul. Foul.

Even when it comes to malt liquor in 40s, this stuff is just stupid to buy. If you absolutely NEED 40 ozs of high alcohol malt liquor, get Olde English or Mickeys. This stuff is almost undrinkable. (371 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -44.1%

Appearance: Light clear pale golden hue with a bright white eggshell colored head leaves nice even lacing...somehow it's doesn't look too unappetizing. Aroma: Cereal grains light toasted pale malts with heavy corn and rice providing some evident sweetness influences touch of alcohol. Taste: Well...this is where it gets harsh...this one's definitely for my homies. Corn husk offness slightly metallic adjunct ridden in the worst way no hop flavor brings out just a bit of my gag reflex is it worth the 24 oz 99 cent offering to drink this beer. Mouthfeel: Is light bodied... a bit thicker than the typical mass produced lager a bit of residual sugars. Drinkability: Well no don't drink alot of this or a little in multiple sittings not good beer even for a malt liquor. (770 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -44.1%

What can I say really? Pours to my mouth from the bottle duct taped to my hand with attitude. Color is golden with some foam at the top, white, and light. Smells a good bit like corn. Flavor is light with rough finish, corn, hay, water. Mouthfeel is just terrible here, with a light body but somehow offensive on my tongue. You know what you're getting here. (358 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -43.3%

This gem comes in a 24 oz can, tittled "two four," and sadly, this is the best thing about this beer. This is particularly fizzy and yellow, has a sweet taste, with an "aftertaste." Other than that, it is 6.1%, i believe, and this is very important when it comes to this beer. For you would only ever want to ingest this liquid with the intent of forgeting your name.

If you thought you were picking up something classy, and came home with Colt 45, you will be disappointed (477 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -42.9%

Bought a case of 40's for shits and giggles with a bunch of friends. Worst idea ever.

It doesnt look horrible, just your typical mass-produced rotgut. The smell is at best, unpleasant. The mouth feel isn't bad, but the taste will make up for that.

I can only describe Colt 45 like this: Someone took a light-bodied beer, squated over the bottle, and farted. Beer + Fart = No fun for anyone.

I should also mention that if its your first time with a 40 of this, be prepared to get your ass kicked.

Again, Colt 45 40's night: Worst idea ever. (552 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -42.9%

It's cheap and for a good reason. It actually tasted better than I had imagined it would, but would not drink it again. Better than the other cheap malt liquors. (163 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -42.5%

Well what can I say with a beer like this.

Appearance:A flat pale yellow colour.

Smell:Corn and rotten eggs

Taste:Just plain old Gasoline

Mouthfeel:No fizz at all like a glass of tap water

Drinkability:Dont even go there I almost puked after a glass of this (262 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -42.1%

This is okay and as ususal, similar to other malt liquors. It's yellow and bubbly with a white. The aroma is of syrupy grains, corn and some alcohol. The taste is again syrupy with a lot of grain and alcohol. This is some rough stuff. Thick full body. Cheap and does the trick I guess. (285 characters)

1.47/5  rDev -40.5%

Had a bbq today, one of my bastard friends thought it was funny to bring this, fortunately my other bastard friend brought an Old Crustacean bottle. On to this mess though. Cracked it open, made an obligatory Lando remark due to past marketing. Typical yellow, but not clear, more of a golden straw, very foamy. Smells of stale corn flakes and carbonation. Tastes artificial, tastes corny, tastes, bad. It was hard to drink, I couldn't get through much of this can, the big two four beat me. (491 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Man, Billy Dee Williams was the best.

For a malt liquor bomber, this was surprisingly low in ABV. I remember turning away from it in disgust when "alcohol per dollar" was important to me. Tasted like grain alcohol. Poured yellow. Smelled skunky.

What's not to love? (268 characters)

Colt 45 Malt Liquor from Pabst Brewing Company