Follow our progress ...

Colt 45 Malt LiquorColt 45 Malt Liquor

Pabst Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Malt Liquor

Introduced in 1963 by the Baltimore, Maryland-based National Brewing Company, Colt 45 was named in honor of running back Jerry Hill, who was #45 on the 1963 Baltimore Colts football team. Through high-profile partnerships with actor Billy Dee Williams and comedian Redd Foxx — who both appeared in radio, print, and TV advertisements – Colt 45 established itself as the premier malt liquor beverage by the early 1970s.

It was also during this time that the iconic slogan, “Works Every Time,” became synonymous with the brand. The Williams relationship lasted for nearly four decades, until he passed the torch to music mogul, Snoop Dogg in 2010.

With Snoop at the helm, we’ve entered an exciting new Colt 45 era.

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 264 | Ratings: 848
2.26/5  rDev -4.6%

By itself, Colt 45 is quite poor. However, it makes a terrific red-eye mixed with Snappy Tom (preferred) or Spicy V-8. It's my value-brand malt liquor of choice when I'm in the mood for red-eyes.

2.76/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Up until this past weekend, I haven't had Colt 45 since the late 90s, possibly a time or two in 2000. I wanted to try it for nostalgic purposes for the most part. Poured from a 16 ounce can into a pint glass, served ice cold.

Look- Pale yellow, decent head and very bubbly.

Smell- Mostly sweet grains and corn.

Taste- Sweet grains and corn. Very simple, almost reminded me of Carlsberg or Sapporo Premium.

Feel- Thin and very carbonated.

Overall- This really isn't all that bad of a beer. Of course, it was served ice cold and I was already drunk when I had it. But hey, that's kind of the whole point of malt liquor, innit? I plan on finishing the remainder of my six pack.

1.73/5  rDev -27%

This beer tasted like carbonated water to me. It gave me a slight, light buzz. Its something I can see bringing to a party becuase its cheap and fairly refreshing.

1.14/5  rDev -51.9%

Microwaved it for 60 seconds before drinking as recommended from a friend. It immediately made me want to smoke some crack and kill somebody. Best night of my life.

2.15/5  rDev -9.3%

Serving Type: 710 mL Can served ICE cold

A- Pours a bright pale yellow very reminiscent of urine. No head and no lacing. Very typical for the style.

S- Sweet malt, along with with corn and rice. Very sweet without any indication of bitterness.

T- Like the aroma, the taste is very sweet and full of adjuncts.

M- Medium-Light Body and Moderate carbonation. Not the fizzy, watery consistency I was expecting.

O- I didn't have high expectations for Colt 45 (why would I) but it certainly wasn't as bad as people have been telling me. I suppose the ice cold temperature I drank it at had something to do with that..

1.74/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

What can I say about this beer that hasn't already been said? It is meant to be drank out of a ice cold (not over 35 degree) 40 oz bottle lovingly wrapped in it's traditional brown paper bag, if the clerk you buy it from tries putting it in a plastic bag you need to set them straight immediately. Pull the bottle out of the bag long enough to admire it's straw yellow colour and remind yourself it looks pretty much like its going to look like the next time you see it after you have drunk it. Also, no matter how cold Colt 45 is, it has the strange ability to taste like luke warm cow urine, how something ice cold can taste luke warm is an oddity that even Stephen Hawking can't explain. Colt 45 also has another strange behaviour, no matter how fast you drink it, if you guzzle a 40 in 3 minutes or sip it for half an hour, the final10 oz's of the bottle you are drinking will be flat, no carbination at all. There are several conspiracy theories on why this occurs but we don't have time for that right now. Why may you ask I drink it? Well after I've burned through my paycheck on quality craft brews and am left with 5 bucks in my wallet its time to roll up the sleeves, have a seat on the curb, and twist open a 40 of the king of 40's!

1.92/5  rDev -19%

Drank from a 22 oz bottle, nasty looking yellow.
Smells like a cheap beer, similar to a corona extra.
Tastes somewhat better though, not much, but somehow better. Very similar, even though I guess they're "different" styles.
Drinks smooth though, which is pleasant enough.
Overall, cheap and drinkable, but there's better cheap alternatives.

3.77/5  rDev +59.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

One of my favorite malts. Consumed in a paper bag per tradition. Sweet tasting, albeit skunky. Consumed at a fast pace as when it is warm it turns into a different animal.

Not sure this stuff is worthy of a full review...but this is my favorite malt liquor (for whatever that is worth). It has a bit more flavor and substance than OE800 and will still "Work Every Time."

look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Pours golden yellow. Smells like a malt bomb. Tastes like syrupy corn sweetness, with a touch of booze. It feels medium bodied and isn't hard to get down. Not a great beer but one of the better cheap 40 oz. you can get. I started off with one of these on occasion after I turned 21. 40s were my go to, being so cheap. Nowadays I steer clear and go straight for the craft beer.

1.2/5  rDev -49.4%

This legend needs no introduction. Tastes like sweetened piss and comes out like it, too. We carried it in my liquor store for a brief stint and it began attracting the wrong clientele, so we phased it out. I remember distinctly heading to a craft beer event with a coworker, two of those cold bad boys in the backpack, and hammering them into the gullet in the corner of a deserted parking lot as some type of hobo pre-drink ritual. We got about 3/4 of each finished before they became too warm to finish. I still have a photograph somewhere of that memorable moment. Luckily, our pallets were cleansed later on that night with salted Bavarian pretzels and some wonderful imported craft beer.

This beer is not to be enjoyed, just drank quickly in preparation for a rowdy night. You gain a level of drunkenness, but lose a great deal of dignity. Also a classic of many life-threatening camping expeditions into the Rocky Mountains. I recall purchasing two of these at a very small local liquor store and having the clerk, an older Native man, ask if I wanted a paper bag so that I could, "Sit on the curb with the rest of 'em."

Avoid the Colt at all costs.

3.46/5  rDev +46%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I'm a big fan of malt liquor, and Colt 45 is a pretty decent one. It has a straw yellow color and has a strong malt smell of sweet corn and grains. The taste was pretty solid with a smooth and flavorful malt taste. Aftertaste is of corn and sugar. Not the greatest malt but not the worst.

2.51/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a light to moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high bright white head that quickly died down, leaving a small patch of bubbles in the center, a thin collar around the edge, and some specks of bubbles on the surface in between.
S: Light aromas of adjunct malts are present in the nose—corn and rice seem to stand out in particular—along with slight hints of sweetness.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste starts off with a big blast of rice adjuncts and has notes of grain malts and corn adjuncts with bits of associated sweetness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and a little clean on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer isn't very flavorful, but I give it credit that it manages to do a good job blending different ingredients so the taste isn't offensive. It also does a good job at hiding its alcohol from the taste.

1.97/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Pours a slightly golden color with head that thins to a lace in about 10 secs. Smells like sweet fusel alcohols. Tastes slightly bitter, quite yeast. Goes down a tad bitter and dry. Overall this beer is quite disgusting, gonna be hard to finish the 32 oz bottle.

This was actually gross-tasting. I would rather drink an O'Doul's (which is a pointless beverage), because it is at least inoffensive. This had a cloying yet watered down corn sugar character. Ugh.

1.68/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Well what can I say about this one, it's malt liquor. It basically looks like classic beer but has an odd smell to it. Taste is like a bad Budweiser. It's actually quite clean on the mouth and it's pretty light, but that's about it. Malt liquor!

1.41/5  rDev -40.5%

It's cheap and for a good reason. It actually tasted better than I had imagined it would, but would not drink it again. Better than the other cheap malt liquors.

4.04/5  rDev +70.5%

My personal favorite cheap malt liquor. The flavor is not half bad and the smell is inoffensive. My only complaint is the shape of the bottle. It is a bit hard to hold onto unless you have fairly large hands. But overall a very good choice!

2.21/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Bought solely for the purpose of comparing to Smuttlabs Granite State Destroyer.

Paid $2.69. Served very cold. Tastes better than my (very) low expectations. Thin apa adjunct flavor, fairly tasteless but inoffensive. Taste much worse as it warms.

3.54/5  rDev +49.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Clear, yellow appearance with a creamy, white head. Shows good carbonation. There's not much to the smell. Some light grains and some breadiness. Very mild taste. Nothing offensive. Medium mouthfeel. Finishes semi-dry, crisp, and refreshing. Overall, it's inoffensive and enjoyable.

40 oz bottle
Date on bottle: Dec0114
Served in a Mug

3.21/5  rDev +35.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

You don't get a colt 45 for the taste. But as far as I'm concerned it's not that bad. Good way to get drunk fast and cheap.If you want a sweet beer that's the choice too, almost no bitterness.

1.8/5  rDev -24.1%

Ol'skool like OE, King Cobra, etc...not for a true beer drinker, poor quality. Drove while drinking one of these in my younger days and got pulled over (days when you think you're invincible) I couldn't find my license and it was in the same spot as always..lucky cop let me go because I worked for state at the time and was a couple of blocks away!! I found out that day about poor quality vs good quality lol!!! Bottoms up!!!

1.7/5  rDev -28.3%

If you're drinking Colt 45 you aren't looking to drink for taste or the experience. You're drinking to get drunk. If I've got 3 bucks I'm wanting to blow colt 45 is a go to. Cheap and doesn't taste god awful either. The key thing to remember though is it's a Colt 45! Gets you drunk, that's it.

2.29/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Canned
I saw this and thought I need to try it after seeing it on big & little screen so much so
bought on a whim & out of curiosity & pretty much instantly regretted

2.11/5  rDev -11%

40 oz. bottle, with best by date March 09, 2015 printed on the glass bottle. Another cheap malt liquor from the Pabst Brewing Company; expectations are next to nothing.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass, and shared with a friend.

A - Pours the typical dark golden yellow, with excellent clarity and a finger of sudsy white head that dissipates within seconds. Some very thin bubbly lace. Not awful looking, but not great.

S - The aroma is the typical sweetened cereal grains / corn / huskiness. Mild alcohol astringency.

T - Sweet, grainy, corny, husky, syrupy, and lightly medicinal. Inoffensive, for the most part, considering it is an American malt liquor, but it's certainly not good.

M - Feel is medium-full, thick, syrupy, & sweet. Sweetened grainy finish. Crisp carbonation.

Overall, another tick from the bottom of the barrel with plenty more to go. Tastes nearly identical to much of the other similar swill in this style category. Drink it if you've got it, I guess.

Colt 45 Malt Liquor -----2/5.

Colt 45 Malt Liquor from Pabst Brewing Company