Colt 45 Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.61% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 08-24-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Colt 45 Malt Liquor Alström Bros
1.97/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Pours a slightly golden color with head that thins to a lace in about 10 secs. Smells like sweet fusel alcohols. Tastes slightly bitter, quite yeast. Goes down a tad bitter and dry. Overall this beer is quite disgusting, gonna be hard to finish the 32 oz bottle. (262 characters)

This was actually gross-tasting. I would rather drink an O'Doul's (which is a pointless beverage), because it is at least inoffensive. This had a cloying yet watered down corn sugar character. Ugh. (197 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -32%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Well what can I say about this one, it's malt liquor. It basically looks like classic beer but has an odd smell to it. Taste is like a bad Budweiser. It's actually quite clean on the mouth and it's pretty light, but that's about it. Malt liquor! (245 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -42.9%

It's cheap and for a good reason. It actually tasted better than I had imagined it would, but would not drink it again. Better than the other cheap malt liquors. (163 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +63.6%

My personal favorite cheap malt liquor. The flavor is not half bad and the smell is inoffensive. My only complaint is the shape of the bottle. It is a bit hard to hold onto unless you have fairly large hands. But overall a very good choice! (240 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Bought solely for the purpose of comparing to Smuttlabs Granite State Destroyer.

Paid $2.69. Served very cold. Tastes better than my (very) low expectations. Thin apa adjunct flavor, fairly tasteless but inoffensive. Taste much worse as it warms. (249 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +43.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Clear, yellow appearance with a creamy, white head. Shows good carbonation. There's not much to the smell. Some light grains and some breadiness. Very mild taste. Nothing offensive. Medium mouthfeel. Finishes semi-dry, crisp, and refreshing. Overall, it's inoffensive and enjoyable.

40 oz bottle
Date on bottle: Dec0114
Served in a Mug (336 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

You don't get a colt 45 for the taste. But as far as I'm concerned it's not that bad. Good way to get drunk fast and cheap.If you want a sweet beer that's the choice too, almost no bitterness. (192 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -27.1%

Ol'skool like OE, King Cobra, etc...not for a true beer drinker, poor quality. Drove while drinking one of these in my younger days and got pulled over (days when you think you're invincible) I couldn't find my license and it was in the same spot as always..lucky cop let me go because I worked for state at the time and was a couple of blocks away!! I found out that day about poor quality vs good quality lol!!! Bottoms up!!! (427 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -31.2%

If you're drinking Colt 45 you aren't looking to drink for taste or the experience. You're drinking to get drunk. If I've got 3 bucks I'm wanting to blow colt 45 is a go to. Cheap and doesn't taste god awful either. The key thing to remember though is it's a Colt 45! Gets you drunk, that's it. (295 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Canned
I saw this and thought I need to try it after seeing it on big & little screen so much so
bought on a whim & out of curiosity & pretty much instantly regretted (167 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -14.6%

40 oz. bottle, with best by date March 09, 2015 printed on the glass bottle. Another cheap malt liquor from the Pabst Brewing Company; expectations are next to nothing.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass, and shared with a friend.

A - Pours the typical dark golden yellow, with excellent clarity and a finger of sudsy white head that dissipates within seconds. Some very thin bubbly lace. Not awful looking, but not great.

S - The aroma is the typical sweetened cereal grains / corn / huskiness. Mild alcohol astringency.

T - Sweet, grainy, corny, husky, syrupy, and lightly medicinal. Inoffensive, for the most part, considering it is an American malt liquor, but it's certainly not good.

M - Feel is medium-full, thick, syrupy, & sweet. Sweetened grainy finish. Crisp carbonation.

Overall, another tick from the bottom of the barrel with plenty more to go. Tastes nearly identical to much of the other similar swill in this style category. Drink it if you've got it, I guess.

Colt 45 Malt Liquor -----2/5. (1,015 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -3.2%

Honestly, not nearly as bad as I was lead to believe. Pours a pale orange with a thin head. The smell is mild although there is some malt notes. The taste had a nice beginning, but there was a bit of a sour, almost metallic, twinge on the end. Not a great beer, but by no means the worst either. (295 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Very light in color an has a very distinct malt smell. Taste linger in your mouth and not necessarily in a good way. Actually, the 40oz in front of me right now happens to be expired by two months I see. Not skunked though, tastes fine. Watery and incredibly easy to go down. (275 characters)

2.94/5  rDev +19%

2012 Colt 45 - Reviewed 11/11/2012

Appearance: Looks like beer, I really can’t think of any more adjectives that I haven't already used in describing every other 40 I've reviewed thusfar. Not as beer colored as regular beer. Not as day-glo orange as hurricane.

Smell: Citrusy and piney on the nose, slight hints of vanilla and bourbon caress the senses. Also smells a bit like soap. or actually more like hand moisturizer.

Taste: Billy Dee Williams wasn't bullsh*tting when he exclaimed that Colt 45, "works every time." I think he means that Colt 45 tastes like the ghetto man's chloroform. By my estimation, it would take 1.35 Colt 45's to incapacitate even the most portly of ladies... but I digress. Colt flows smooth and sweet with cornyness on par with the fact that they made Lando Calrissian their spokesperson. Light hints of the aforementioned moisturizer come through right after the astringent alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel: Slimy, like owls boogers. I think they make it that way so that once you put it in your mouth, it slips into your belly before you have a chance to spit it out. On the plus side, this does make Colt 45 one of the most drinkable malt liquors to date, assuming drinkability is measured by 40's per hour. [Mental note: invent a vehicle in which its speed measured in 40's per hour.]

Overall: Afroman didn't write a song about Olde English, because there is no better way to enjoy a night of easy livin' like a Colt 45 and a couple of spliffs. [Now legal for recreational us in Colorado and Washington.] Weighing in at 6.1% alcohol by volume, Colt is the second most boozy beer we've tasted this year. Want to get ghetto girl wasted without having to sacrifice your taste buds? Look no further than Colt 45. It works every time. (1,766 characters)

Was broke and wanted a beer. Not my proudest moment buying this stuff but for a couple bucks for a 40 who cares. It was expired a few months and came with a free one. Smells like old Budweiser that's been left in a red solo cup all night. I took a swig and damn it was so bad I spit it on my windshield. Tasted like old gym socks and pig feed corn. I threw that bottle out the window of my car. Nasty terrible stuff. Afroman lied to us (435 characters)

2.61/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Well when im broke and want to get a buzz goin this will probably be leaving the store with me, certainly not my proudest moments but i don't care. Not really much for taste to write home about, there's of course a pretty obvious maltiness to it, besides that there's just like a stale bread taste which is just about as appealing as it sounds. I could be missing some flavors since i just chug it before it gets too warm or flat, but im sure im not missing much. When it comes to 40s though this is one of the better choices. Overall if you just want to get a buzz on the cheap, pick one of these up. Another added bonus is you can blast some wu-tang and pretend you're in a 90s rap music video...if that's what you're into... (727 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

While some people grab a Bud and call it a day, I personally prefer my beer to have a bit more kick. Perfect summer time outdoor/bbq beer.

It's not an impressive beer, but it is perfect for those days when your taste buds yearn for a taste of grain and a non-intrusive beer. (275 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +47.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

(32 oz, twist off cap - some poured into a stemmed fluted goblet, the rest swill-ed)

A: very pale canary yellow liquid with jade tinges on the edges, crystal clear... attractive, spongy-cottony white foam - actually a moderate degree of retention... ample ballooning of foam on each pour, some crusty globs of lace here and there

S: slightly black peppery spicy phenols, delicate apple-y undertone, a bit of wet dead grass... no bubblegum notes, which I find in some malt liquors... mellow overall

T: kind of a dirty overtone, as if the beer was brewed with unfiltered 'potable' water running from rusty antique pipes... fair, mildly doughy malt foundation - slight buttery biscuit note on the tail end... little bit of a champagne-like note in the aftertaste, mild hint of corn meal... not terribly sweet, fairly clean... basically tastes like an adjunct lager with an enhanced/underattenuated malt profile... light-mild hop bitterness combines with a delicate boozy spice to balance... bit of a brown paper bag essence late

M: medium-plus mouthfeel, rounded, a touch plump... alcohol lends a mild drying sensation in the finish... bit of a masa-doughy film left on the palate

O: not bad at all... a little less of a rich flavor than an Old E (very fond of that one), the flavor of grain kernels sticks out... alcohol seems a notch or two more exposed... I'll stick with my Old E, though I won't refuse this when offered it (1,429 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -30%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Ice cold and straight from the 22 ounce bottle.

A little nostalgia here with a C45 "double deuce". This is malt liquor. It looks good in the bottle but you don't want to pour it in a glass because the aroma of corn and metal will hit you quickly. You want to drink it ice cold to keep the adjunct flavors to a minimum. If you let it warm at all the carbonation goes away and what is left is a thick tasting concoction that is barely fit to drink. I had forgotten how bad this stuff really was. If you want to try it I recommend a 12 ounce can so you don't have to look at it and can get it down before it gets too warm.

There are far better choices if you are a fan of malt liquor. (683 characters)

3.06/5  rDev +23.9%

Colt 45 Malt Liquor brewed by the Pabst Brewing Company. This brew has an abv of 5.61. Colt 45 brew pours out a nice amber color with a small white head. The smell of this brew is corn and beer, that is it. Nothing different from other malt liquors on the market. The taste is smooth clean and refreshing. There is no harsh after taste it is smooth. This brew goes down smooth. Nothing bad about this brew. Mouth feel is nice and smooth and refreshing. This malt liquor is one of the smoothest I had. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3 out of 5. I will get this brew again. (571 characters)

2.47/5  rDev 0%

Live Review. 40 oz bought from the corner gas. Let's just get to tasting this thing before it warms up though.

A- No need for glassware, as it comes in a lovely clear bottle. A little darker in color than a typical light lager. Soap sud like bubbles that cling to the edge as I drink. The iconic 40!

S- Awful. As a friend put it, "rat piss." It just smells sour and kind of skunky I suppose. However, the smell is deceiving,

T- Inoffensive. That may be the best I can say, but it's really not the worst beer I've ever had, and it just tastes kind of nondescript. Plenty of malt of course and no touch of hops. A little bit of the nasty smell carries over, but it's pretty not bad.

M- Really fizzy. It kind of burns.

O- I might even buy this again if I'm that strapped. It's not a bad value, and certainly beats the hell out of a bmc light. (848 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +52.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

How in the hell can so many people hate this Beer? I Just do not understand it..Colt 45 is absolutely Fantastic,it's super smooth and taste sooo damn good!...I Think it comes down to Colt 45 being a "Malt Liquor" and How all the snobby Beer Critics Hate most all Malt liquors..why? because they are basically full of Shit,thats why, I am so sick of all these whiny,snobby,bitchy Beer snobs who slag and slam a Beer because it is does not cost 25 bucks a pint..WTF?
Colt 45 pours out a very nice straw/golden color,with a nice creamy head and lots of carbonation,it goes down smooth and easy and taste Great....to me,thats what I want from a Beer of this style,and Colt 45 Delivers everytime,it is priced right,it is available most everywhere,& is top notch for BBQ's,cookouts,parties,or just chillin out with friends or a night in..honestly man,dont listen to the haters & the snobs,Colt 45 is a VERY Good Beer & the rating of "Awful [55 or so] is utter Bullshit,try it for yourself my friend:)Cheers&peace2all. (1,011 characters)

2.97/5  rDev +20.2%

From a quart bottle. Pours to an attractive thick white head and erratic but substantial lacing. Strange-looking clear tarnished gold color. aroma is sweet, alcoholic, but "vegetal" (asparagus?!) and grainy with no discernible hop character. Flavor is much of the same as aroma but very palatable and easy to drink. Mouthfeel is light and bubbly and surprisingly "smooth" as in it does not have astringency or excessive carbonic bite. Overall, this is drinkable and mostly unoffensive. Believe it or not. Not really good at all, but not bad. there are much worse cheap adjunct brews out there. I guess I'm not a beer snob after all. I reviewed this beverage on its merits as a cheap drink and party brew and give it no more than a 3.0 for any flavor or aroma ratings. Really. For the style, it is one of the best, but I'm not giving 4's all around for any "malt liquor" no matter how "on style" it is. Malt liquors are for getting a buzz, not craft beer savoring anyway. (970 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Poured from 24oz tall can into a pint glass.

Appearance: light gold hue with no haze and a pretty strong effervescence. Head is two fingers of fizzy white foam which is dissipating more slowly than I would have anticipated. If you can believe it, this beer is leaving a nice chunky lace on the glass. I'm flabbergasted!

Smell: kind of a grainy, plasticy adjunct aroma with not much else going on. That said, it's not corny, so it's not as bad as it could be.

Taste: not good. Kind of sweet, grainy and plasticy. It's not rife with off-flavors, but it's definitely not a great tasting beer, even for the style.

Mouthfeel: watery with a great big fizziness to it. I would have expected more based on its nice head retention and lacing.

Overall: this beer is getting worse with warming even faster than I would imagine. I had so much hope for it when it was so pretty! Anyway, not the worst thing in the world, but you might even be better off going with a Mickey's. (968 characters)

Colt 45 Malt Liquor from Pabst Brewing Company