Colt 45 Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.61% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 08-24-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Colt 45 Malt Liquor Alström Bros
Ratings: 791 | Reviews: 266
2.39/5  rDev +8.1%

Honestly, not nearly as bad as I was lead to believe. Pours a pale orange with a thin head. The smell is mild although there is some malt notes. The taste had a nice beginning, but there was a bit of a sour, almost metallic, twinge on the end. Not a great beer, but by no means the worst either.

For a malt liquor it isn't bad.

1.24/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Chuncky and chewy, not refreshing at all.

1.76/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Very light in color an has a very distinct malt smell. Taste linger in your mouth and not necessarily in a good way. Actually, the 40oz in front of me right now happens to be expired by two months I see. Not skunked though, tastes fine. Watery and incredibly easy to go down.

2.94/5  rDev +33%

2012 Colt 45 - Reviewed 11/11/2012

Appearance: Looks like beer, I really can’t think of any more adjectives that I haven't already used in describing every other 40 I've reviewed thusfar. Not as beer colored as regular beer. Not as day-glo orange as hurricane.

Smell: Citrusy and piney on the nose, slight hints of vanilla and bourbon caress the senses. Also smells a bit like soap. or actually more like hand moisturizer.

Taste: Billy Dee Williams wasn't bullsh*tting when he exclaimed that Colt 45, "works every time." I think he means that Colt 45 tastes like the ghetto man's chloroform. By my estimation, it would take 1.35 Colt 45's to incapacitate even the most portly of ladies... but I digress. Colt flows smooth and sweet with cornyness on par with the fact that they made Lando Calrissian their spokesperson. Light hints of the aforementioned moisturizer come through right after the astringent alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel: Slimy, like owls boogers. I think they make it that way so that once you put it in your mouth, it slips into your belly before you have a chance to spit it out. On the plus side, this does make Colt 45 one of the most drinkable malt liquors to date, assuming drinkability is measured by 40's per hour. [Mental note: invent a vehicle in which its speed measured in 40's per hour.]

Overall: Afroman didn't write a song about Olde English, because there is no better way to enjoy a night of easy livin' like a Colt 45 and a couple of spliffs. [Now legal for recreational us in Colorado and Washington.] Weighing in at 6.1% alcohol by volume, Colt is the second most boozy beer we've tasted this year. Want to get ghetto girl wasted without having to sacrifice your taste buds? Look no further than Colt 45. It works every time.

Was broke and wanted a beer. Not my proudest moment buying this stuff but for a couple bucks for a 40 who cares. It was expired a few months and came with a free one. Smells like old Budweiser that's been left in a red solo cup all night. I took a swig and damn it was so bad I spit it on my windshield. Tasted like old gym socks and pig feed corn. I threw that bottle out the window of my car. Nasty terrible stuff. Afroman lied to us

2.61/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Well when im broke and want to get a buzz goin this will probably be leaving the store with me, certainly not my proudest moments but i don't care. Not really much for taste to write home about, there's of course a pretty obvious maltiness to it, besides that there's just like a stale bread taste which is just about as appealing as it sounds. I could be missing some flavors since i just chug it before it gets too warm or flat, but im sure im not missing much. When it comes to 40s though this is one of the better choices. Overall if you just want to get a buzz on the cheap, pick one of these up. Another added bonus is you can blast some wu-tang and pretend you're in a 90s rap music video...if that's what you're into...

3.13/5  rDev +41.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

While some people grab a Bud and call it a day, I personally prefer my beer to have a bit more kick. Perfect summer time outdoor/bbq beer.

It's not an impressive beer, but it is perfect for those days when your taste buds yearn for a taste of grain and a non-intrusive beer.

3.64/5  rDev +64.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

(32 oz, twist off cap - some poured into a stemmed fluted goblet, the rest swill-ed)

A: very pale canary yellow liquid with jade tinges on the edges, crystal clear... attractive, spongy-cottony white foam - actually a moderate degree of retention... ample ballooning of foam on each pour, some crusty globs of lace here and there

S: slightly black peppery spicy phenols, delicate apple-y undertone, a bit of wet dead grass... no bubblegum notes, which I find in some malt liquors... mellow overall

T: kind of a dirty overtone, as if the beer was brewed with unfiltered 'potable' water running from rusty antique pipes... fair, mildly doughy malt foundation - slight buttery biscuit note on the tail end... little bit of a champagne-like note in the aftertaste, mild hint of corn meal... not terribly sweet, fairly clean... basically tastes like an adjunct lager with an enhanced/underattenuated malt profile... light-mild hop bitterness combines with a delicate boozy spice to balance... bit of a brown paper bag essence late

M: medium-plus mouthfeel, rounded, a touch plump... alcohol lends a mild drying sensation in the finish... bit of a masa-doughy film left on the palate

O: not bad at all... a little less of a rich flavor than an Old E (very fond of that one), the flavor of grain kernels sticks out... alcohol seems a notch or two more exposed... I'll stick with my Old E, though I won't refuse this when offered it

1.73/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Ice cold and straight from the 22 ounce bottle.

A little nostalgia here with a C45 "double deuce". This is malt liquor. It looks good in the bottle but you don't want to pour it in a glass because the aroma of corn and metal will hit you quickly. You want to drink it ice cold to keep the adjunct flavors to a minimum. If you let it warm at all the carbonation goes away and what is left is a thick tasting concoction that is barely fit to drink. I had forgotten how bad this stuff really was. If you want to try it I recommend a 12 ounce can so you don't have to look at it and can get it down before it gets too warm.

There are far better choices if you are a fan of malt liquor.

1.75/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Colt 45. What more can you say?

3.06/5  rDev +38.5%

Colt 45 Malt Liquor brewed by the Pabst Brewing Company. This brew has an abv of 5.61. Colt 45 brew pours out a nice amber color with a small white head. The smell of this brew is corn and beer, that is it. Nothing different from other malt liquors on the market. The taste is smooth clean and refreshing. There is no harsh after taste it is smooth. This brew goes down smooth. Nothing bad about this brew. Mouth feel is nice and smooth and refreshing. This malt liquor is one of the smoothest I had. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3 out of 5. I will get this brew again.

2.47/5  rDev +11.8%

Live Review. 40 oz bought from the corner gas. Let's just get to tasting this thing before it warms up though.

A- No need for glassware, as it comes in a lovely clear bottle. A little darker in color than a typical light lager. Soap sud like bubbles that cling to the edge as I drink. The iconic 40!

S- Awful. As a friend put it, "rat piss." It just smells sour and kind of skunky I suppose. However, the smell is deceiving,

T- Inoffensive. That may be the best I can say, but it's really not the worst beer I've ever had, and it just tastes kind of nondescript. Plenty of malt of course and no touch of hops. A little bit of the nasty smell carries over, but it's pretty not bad.

M- Really fizzy. It kind of burns.

O- I might even buy this again if I'm that strapped. It's not a bad value, and certainly beats the hell out of a bmc light.

3.76/5  rDev +70.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

How in the hell can so many people hate this Beer? I Just do not understand it..Colt 45 is absolutely Fantastic,it's super smooth and taste sooo damn good!...I Think it comes down to Colt 45 being a "Malt Liquor" and How all the snobby Beer Critics Hate most all Malt liquors..why? because they are basically full of Shit,thats why, I am so sick of all these whiny,snobby,bitchy Beer snobs who slag and slam a Beer because it is does not cost 25 bucks a pint..WTF?
Colt 45 pours out a very nice straw/golden color,with a nice creamy head and lots of carbonation,it goes down smooth and easy and taste Great....to me,thats what I want from a Beer of this style,and Colt 45 Delivers everytime,it is priced right,it is available most everywhere,& is top notch for BBQ's,cookouts,parties,or just chillin out with friends or a night in..honestly man,dont listen to the haters & the snobs,Colt 45 is a VERY Good Beer & the rating of "Awful [55 or so] is utter Bullshit,try it for yourself my friend:)Cheers&peace2all.

2.97/5  rDev +34.4%

From a quart bottle. Pours to an attractive thick white head and erratic but substantial lacing. Strange-looking clear tarnished gold color. aroma is sweet, alcoholic, but "vegetal" (asparagus?!) and grainy with no discernible hop character. Flavor is much of the same as aroma but very palatable and easy to drink. Mouthfeel is light and bubbly and surprisingly "smooth" as in it does not have astringency or excessive carbonic bite. Overall, this is drinkable and mostly unoffensive. Believe it or not. Not really good at all, but not bad. there are much worse cheap adjunct brews out there. I guess I'm not a beer snob after all. I reviewed this beverage on its merits as a cheap drink and party brew and give it no more than a 3.0 for any flavor or aroma ratings. Really. For the style, it is one of the best, but I'm not giving 4's all around for any "malt liquor" no matter how "on style" it is. Malt liquors are for getting a buzz, not craft beer savoring anyway.

2.08/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Poured from 24oz tall can into a pint glass.

Appearance: light gold hue with no haze and a pretty strong effervescence. Head is two fingers of fizzy white foam which is dissipating more slowly than I would have anticipated. If you can believe it, this beer is leaving a nice chunky lace on the glass. I'm flabbergasted!

Smell: kind of a grainy, plasticy adjunct aroma with not much else going on. That said, it's not corny, so it's not as bad as it could be.

Taste: not good. Kind of sweet, grainy and plasticy. It's not rife with off-flavors, but it's definitely not a great tasting beer, even for the style.

Mouthfeel: watery with a great big fizziness to it. I would have expected more based on its nice head retention and lacing.

Overall: this beer is getting worse with warming even faster than I would imagine. I had so much hope for it when it was so pretty! Anyway, not the worst thing in the world, but you might even be better off going with a Mickey's.

3.59/5  rDev +62.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

24oz can purchased for 99 cents at the gas station. Such a deal!

A: Pours a deep golden hue with a huge, pillowy, bright white head that took forever to collapse into a thick film. A sticky network of complex lace was left down the glass.
S: I get notes of adjunct grains, flaked corn, sweet malt and a hint of volatile alcohol. Smells better than I expected though.
T: Creamy adjunct grains, mashed barley, semisweet malts and corn in the finish. Creamy flaked grains. Not offense but not great.
M: Creamy full body, soft and thick mouthfeel. Soft splashy carbonation.
O: I've had worse. As far a malt liquor goes its not bad, but as far as beer goes its near the bottom of the barrel. Would probably drink this over certain macro lagers though.

Graded on the "40" scale.

Colt 45 is the Cadillac of 40 oz beers!

Colt is not for the aficionados, it is a good malt liquor for the price. Get it in the 40 oz bottle do not bother with 16 or 24 oz cans its not the same.

The 45 is straw yellow and smells of booze it is wonderful if you can accept what it is... malt liquor.

ENJOY!!

3.24/5  rDev +46.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Head: 1 1/2 finger, ivory colored with low staying power. I'm left with a thin 8th of an inch border, no lace and sparce, irregular film on top.

Torso: Love the amberness/dizzyness (already) of this malt brew.

Toes: Tons o'bubbles from the deep, never letting up...right to the end of the monster eh & dub mug.

Eyes: To me, this is beer with potential. If only they could make a longer lasting head.

Ears: Cave static, iykwim.

Mouth/Tongue: This beer is compatible with both my mouth and tongue. Satistfied, no complaints here.

Nose: I like it. ...I like it alot. Its non offensive and inviting. You've got to take into consideration that I have acquired a taste for Faxe 10! Sorry to disappoint all you haters.

Blanket: I will buy it again, probably for an afternoon of housework teamed up with some AC~DC to get me in the mood.

AKA: Because this beer is not perfect but is trying so hard, I rename it "Grade 9".

P.S.: If i could buy "head in a can", i would, ..and I'd just spray a little on the top as needed, as that is the only thing missing here!

2.79/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A- Golden in color, very similar to apple juice. Nice little lacing running down the bottle.

S- There is something I really like about the smell. Very hoppy, ricey, and hempy. This is my favorite feature from this brew. Smells highly of alcohol.

T- Probably one of my favorite malt liquors, but hey, still a 2.5. After all, I don't drink Colt 45 for the taste, I drink it for the high buzz factor and the low price.

M- Average. Moderately carbonated and kinda leaves you with an aftertaste of assmouth. Yum!

O- Clearly, you can tell it's not the greatest brew, but hopefully you'll be able to tell why I enjoy it. Pure nostalgia!

2.06/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

710 mL can from The Beer Store; listed at a sturdy 8%. This is the Canadian version, presumably brewed and/or distributed by Sleeman like all of the other Pabst brands available in this country. I've never had this before, but watch in amazement as I continue to scrape barrel bottoms lower than any of those previously imagined, due to my insatiably unhealthy obsession with fulfilling my desire to find new beers to review.

Pours a pale golden colour, topped with over two fingers of foamy, soapy white head. Retention is surprisingly long-lasted as it takes more than a few minutes to gradually recede to a half-inch cap, leaving behind a scant smattering of lace in the process. Looks great for what it is. Unfortunately, the aroma is about what I'd expect - corn syrup, bubble gum, booze and pale malts, and not nearly enough of the latter to make up for the abundance of the first three.

This tastes bad, if not flat-out terrible. There's plenty of corn cob and malty, syrupy sweetness, with absolutely nothing else to balance it out. The finish is sweet with a hint of ethanol. Thin-bodied and very wet-tasting, with pretty low carbonation that gives it a smooth, flat mouthfeel. There's only one way to drink Colt 45 - quickly. The faster you numb your sense of taste, the faster you can keep drinking without having to taste this stuff.

Final Grade: 2.06, an ugly D-. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I guess sometimes reputations are just well-earned. Colt 45 tastes like ass, which may be why I've never seen anyone I know drink it, ever. Like any beverage with 8% alcohol in it, it'll get'cha drunk if that's your primary objective, but you'll want to drink it ice cold and rapidly, and probably out of a paper bag if you have any pride. I'm proud of my fellow countrymen; the fact that I've never seen anyone else stoop so low as to actually purchase this warms the cockles of my heart ever so slightly. Now excuse me while I finish this can, and then cry in the shower.

1.05/5  rDev -52.5%

Colt 45 and two zig zags, baby that's all we need...

So I bought this evil beer from a dirty convenience store in Oxford, OH, when a little bit tipsy. My friend and I decided to drink our Colt 45s while walking down the street. Not the best idea, given open container laws, and whatnot. I also think there are laws against transporting chemical weapons.

It's colored sort of a dirty brown, like fetid marsh water. I can't believe I'm gonna put this in my mouth!

Smells sorta sweet, a bit metallic.

Tastes like creamed corn and old grass clippings. As it warms, it tastes like creamed corn and old grass clippings that's passed through the devil's small intestine. It's utterly disgusting in every way. Just skunky, corny, alcoholic, and gross.

Light bodied, I suppose, a little fuller than most malt liquors.

This beer is just rancid. I couldn't even finish it, threw it in a dumpster. The sound of breaking glass was the most enjoyable thing about this one.

3.89/5  rDev +76%

I dont know why but for some reason i realy love this beer taste like liquid corn flakes

2.58/5  rDev +16.7%

what was going to be a gag gift for a relative that likes to make fun of the craft beers i enjoy. he missed the party i decided to give the colt a try. poured from the 22 oz bottle(funny couldn't find a 40 of this brand in my area). pale straw in color, smells of grain and nothing else. bit of a off after taste. not a bad beer for what it is i would like to try more of this style and come back to this beer for a better understanding.

2.84/5  rDev +28.5%

Reviewed from yesterday's notes -

40 oz. bottle - Best by March 11 13 -

Pours golden with a small head that has decent retention, leaving some lacing.

The smell is of - well, not much - some grain with some alcohol.

The taste is mild - not much too it. Some cereal/grain, a touch of sweet corn and a touch of alcohol. Finishes clean and abruptly. It's smooth. For the style, I think it is very smooth. Some fizz but not harsh.

Not bad for what it is. It's smooth, cheap beer with a bit more alcohol. Fits the style well enough.

Colt 45 Malt Liquor from Pabst Brewing Company