Colt 45 Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

Colt 45 Malt LiquorColt 45 Malt Liquor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.61% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 08-24-2001

Introduced in 1963 by the Baltimore, Maryland-based National Brewing Company, Colt 45 was named in honor of running back Jerry Hill, who was #45 on the 1963 Baltimore Colts football team. Through high-profile partnerships with actor Billy Dee Williams and comedian Redd Foxx — who both appeared in radio, print, and TV advertisements – Colt 45 established itself as the premier malt liquor beverage by the early 1970s.

It was also during this time that the iconic slogan, “Works Every Time,” became synonymous with the brand. The Williams relationship lasted for nearly four decades, until he passed the torch to music mogul, Snoop Dogg in 2010.

With Snoop at the helm, we’ve entered an exciting new Colt 45 era.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Colt 45 Malt Liquor Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev +32.1%

From a "Fourty"

I figure, if Lando Calrissian drinks the stuff, it can't be that bad! All things considered, its' not!

Pours a pale yellow with a hint of orangeness in color. Clear fizzy body, white head that lasts a decent time. It has the taste of corn, rice, some slight fusel oil. I thought it would taste more alchoholic than it does. Overall not bad

3.72/5  rDev +57%

Appearance - golden, filtered, and a stark-white frothy head that retains very well.

Aroma - Sweetness, mostly corn.

Taste - unusually sweet, but then a general grain flavor. And literally almost no hop bitterness to speak of.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated and medium

Finish - Dry

Overall - It's peculiar, but there is nothing offensive about it. This is a good beer.

1.32/5  rDev -44.3%

The first of our terrible beer sampling. Six beers sampled in a blind tasting. 40 oz. bottle poured into a tumbler.

Appearance - Yellow body, very clear, with a white head.

Smell - Sweet and revolting. Smells like fusel and corn.

Taste - Crisp, light, nothingness, except for the adjunct flavors that separate this from water.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied, of course, with high carbonation. It's drinkable, except for the taste. It's like drinking putrid water.

Overall - Bad, but drinkable because there's really nothing there.

2.91/5  rDev +22.8%

This wasn't as bad as expected. In my quest for the 104 beer styles, American Malt liquor is one of the last ones on the list. I had a choice between a fo-tay of Mickeys and this. I chose the 24 oz rather than the fo-tay.

Poured into my Hooters 25 oz mug from a 24 oz can. Clear gold color, big white fizzy head, head retention is pretty good, lacing is minimal...not bad.

Smell is less than average. Mild, faint corn aroma. Hardly inviting. Taste is a bit stronger than the BMC usual lagers. Still a corn and rice mix with not much hoppiness, slightly sweet. This is drinkable as a lawnmower beer, nothing offensive about it.

Mouthfeel is less watery than some of the Amer. Adjunct Lagers. Not a great beer but the mouthfeel is at least as solid as the better cheap lagers. It is crisp, there is a bit of a stale aftertaste but is mostly refreshing if not good or memorable. I was expecting some nasty alcohol aftertaste, but I guess this is more of a problem with the higher octane Malt Liquors. This one is not in any way offensive.

Overall, an average experience...thirsty? hot? want a little buzz? This is certainly a cheap remedy.

2.88/5  rDev +21.5%

A - Pale golden with a slight hue of orange, which is probably from the malt. Pours a small head that quickly dissipates. Lacing disappears within 30 seconds.

S - Corny, malty, and sweet. Only a slight hint of booze. Not too offensive.

T - One of the better malt liquors available. The malt makes it sweet and smooth. Very drinkable.

M - Has a decent body. Moderate carbonation that won't overwhelm.

O - For a malt liquor, it's quite tolerable. The alcohol content isn't too high, so it doesn't have a boozy aroma or flavor like others in its category. If you want a cheap moderate buzz, treat yourself to a deuce or a forty (brown bag included).

3.06/5  rDev +29.1%

At the time of this Bad Beer Thursdays review, this is the #22 American Malt Liquor on the best of list, also the #81 beer on the bottom of the barrel list on here, poured from a clear bottle into a Golden Pheasant glass.

Beer is yellow, clear, heavily carbonated, nice white head, no lacing.

Aroma is sweet with a mild vegetalness.

Beer is sweet medium to light in body. Actually not bad, there is no aftertaste, it is slightly corny throughout but I've had much much worse. It is wet throughout and the finish is also wet. I drank the whole thing and I doubt I'd ever have more if it but it was as good as Schlitz. Which is a compliment if you were confused by that comment.

2.26/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

40oz of cheap beer. Who can resist? Figured I should try it for fun. Tastes very similar to PBR to me, so the review that follows is similar to my review for PBR.

Appearance: Pours a very pale yellow, with a decent white head, leaves no lacing

Smell: Light grains and light fart.

Taste: Light grains and adjuncts. Not a whole lot of flavor there. A little bit bitter. Thats about it.

Mouthfeel: Light body, crisp carbonation.

Overall: If it weren't for the fart smell, this wouldn't be half bad. If you're in the mood for something cheap without a whole lot of flavor, its not a bad way to go. Hard to beat the price too. And who can resist consuming 40oz in one sitting?

2.75/5  rDev +16%

18 oz clear bottle with Billy Dee holding a can with a question mark..."Find Billy Dee's Colt 45 and win a trip to meet Dee in Las Vegas"...nice, I must say the label reeled me in, along with the fact I have never seen an 18 oz bottle before. Pours a clear, dark gold color with a fizzy white head. Retention sucks, but it does leave a fairly nice sheen and collar. Lacing shows up after a few drinks.

Nose is clean, light grainy malts and cornbread. Not much else, maybe a splash of alcohol.

Taste is sweet and full-bodied. Grainy and adjunct filled flavor with plenty of scrubbing carbonation. One of the smoother malt liquors, but at 5.61%, it falls on the low side of the scale for this style. I would rather grab a few Coors Originals than drink this stuff. Has a light mustiness and the hops are pretty non-existent. I think the 7-8% ABV range is the money slot for malt liquors, above that and they start getting grimacingly tough to drink and below that you might as well just go with your basic Adjunct Lager.

2.63/5  rDev +11%

A - diluted urine color. Gold spray paint. Clear. Low bubbly bleach white head.

S - dry stale hay bitter caustic cheap.

T - surprisingly paletable. I don't want to throw it down the sink but I don't want a second one either. Not too dry not too bitter.

M - kind of creamy. Like corn on the cob with not enough butter.

D - if you can get past the smell this is worth giving a chance just due to the price

2.1/5  rDev -11.4%

Brownish gold beer straight out of a 40 ounce bottle. No pouring necessary, except what's poured for my homies. Smells a little skunky and of sweet adjuncts. Sugary sweet flavors of corn and grain. It's not something I'll buy very often. Milwaukee's Best 40s are cheaper and taste better, even if they don't have that signature bottle shape.

2.69/5  rDev +13.5%

22oz bottle, no dating.

Pretty awful pour....light golden straw color with fizzy white head which quickly dissipates to nothingness. Flat appearance.

Scent is mostly made up of creamed corn with hints of minerals and grasses.

Flavor is mostly corn adjunct as well; light and sweet with a hop presence which balances it out somewhat.

Body tastes about as flat as it appears, and has a watery consistency as well. Nonetheless, it is still drinkable for effect.

I haven't had a malt liquor since I was a teenager, and I suppose my personal prerequisite is it not make me sick. Colt .45 isn't half-bad, similar to your average mass-produced American lager.

1.88/5  rDev -20.7%

Had this straight out of the 40, as God intended. It was a very light gold colour. I can't say anything about the head, obviously. The smell was sort of a nauseating sweet malt with some corn. The taste was the same, but with a twist. There were hops in this beer! I could clearly taste a slight piney flavour. Except it was real cheap and accentuated by the sweetness of the corn in such a way that it was more like Pine Sol. It was gross. Those piney-flavoured hops have no place in a malt liquor. As a result, this is now among my least favourite malt liquors and the worst 40 I've had so far. Oh well. At least now I know. I guess there's a reason this doesn't get sold anywhere near me. Sorry Lando, I'm sticking with Olde English.

1.5/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - This beer pours a clear pale yellow straw color. It has a small fizzy 1-finger head. the head fell very quickly, leaving no lacing behind. There are tons of visible carbonation bubbles rising in the glass.

S - It smells of your average malt liquor. It is mostly just sweet corn and barley. Definitely not very appetizing.

T - Not good. Like the nose, it is basically just sweet corn flavors and sort of grainy. Other than that there is not much flavor. The finish has a bit of a sourness to it.

M - This has a light body and high carbonation. It goes down like water, and has a bit of alcohol sting.

O - It goes down like water. There isn't much flavor, and the flavor it does have is not good. Overall, I definitely do not recommend picking this up. There is no reason to spend your money on this beer, unless you are just looking to get fucked up quickly without having to taste much.

PS - Do not let this get at all warm.

1.68/5  rDev -29.1%

Drank from the 24oz can. I don't know how many more of these horrible beers I can take. Oh well... All in the name of beer exploration!

This one has that classic malt liquor sweet corny smell that can be detected from several feet away. It tinges your breath with the scent of sweet corn and death and lets everyone around you know that you are drinking some foul stuff. It reminds you of that bum you sat a few rows from on the Metro a couple of days ago who muttered to himself all the way home while sipping on a mysterious liquid in a brown paper bag, and now you are doing the same thing yourself. Each sip I take, I start muttering to myself, damn, what am I doing with my life. What Am I drinking? The taste is of corn and barley with a slight twinge of Wonder bread and failure. Finishes with an alcohol burn and an alcoholic's regret.

2.37/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a big can into a pint glass.

A: Looks ok, typical golden yellow with a decent amount of carbonation..a little wispy head and moderate lacing.

S: Weak and sour with corn traces and no hops.

T: Watery and thin with not much positive to say. Almost brings on an instant headache. Not too sweet at least. Nice mouthfeel I have to say.

D: I don't think I'd have more than one of these and the thought of having a 40? Maybe back when I was 14 that woulda been fun.

Value: Even for the price it pretty much sucks. Hmmm who can I give the other three of these to?

2.17/5  rDev -8.4%

A: Dissipating, bubbly head ... Clear, pale golden color ... Light carbonation ... Kind of DOA
S: Straw malt notes ... simple and unobtrusive
T: Sweet grainy malt, bit of a sour aftertaste
M: Crisp, bubbly feel, light bodied
D: My favorite malt liquor, but after this review I realize that thinking too much about malt liquor isn't just some harmless exercise in irony--it ruins the beer, wastes your time. Please learn from my mistakes.

A) Bright-white head. Very porous. Looks highly carbonated. Crystal clear. Light champagne color. Looks like a big class of champagne. A little more straw than champagne. Head and light lacing all the way down?!?!

S) Corny nothingness

T) No real flavor. A slight nauseating sweet malt if you think about it too hard. I'm afraid that it's going to warm up though.

M) Light

O) Considering that it's a malt liquor, I think it's terribly drinkable and flavorless. In my book, this is a great malt liquor and the gutters and areas surrounding the street trash cans confirm it. ABV isn't nearly as high as I was thinking.

So I think this is an B+ malt liquor but can I really give a malt liquor beer an B+? Yes.

2.02/5  rDev -14.8%

The first 40 I ever had. This beer is lightly golden in color mostly yellow. Not a bit of head retention after the pour. Grains and Malts on the nose. Not a lot of hops in the flavor or the aroma. I'm glad that I tried this, but I don't need to find this again.

2.74/5  rDev +15.6%

40-ouncer, the format of choice amongst those poor souls panhandling outside the liquor stores, in my experience. This one is 8% ABV, and made by the Silver Creek Brewery, of La Crosse, Wisconsin, blah blah blah. Sleeman must have some sort of agreement with Pabst in the US, because the label is identical, and I am not creating a new, unnecessary entry.

This beer pours a clear medium golden yellow colour, with two fingers of sudsy off-white head, which settles quickly, leaving a paint job of solid lace around the glass. It smells of ripe apple, pale adjunct grain, and mild boozy yeast. The taste is more well-aged (benefit of the doubt here) apple, this time stewed in soft fusel alcohol, and quite sweet, with some weird floral essence. The carbonation is very shy, the body less so - medium in weight through the contrivances of The Cloying! It finishes still sweet, albeit with some residual drying from the booze and dead flowers.

Not that bad, really. Without the big sugar (heh), this is pretty inoffensive. No skank, or alcohol edge - a hell of an option for getting your advanced buzz on for a mere fiver (or 'Laurier bleu', north of the 49th)...

3.08/5  rDev +30%

When reviewing Colt 45, it's best not to compare it to premium beer, and to remember what Colt is meant for. Colt is a beer that you can enjoy on a very tight budget, because people with a low income should be able to afford a beer to drink.

The look is a bit thick, the smell is a little off, but the taste is quite average and enjoyable. If you serve it ice cold in a glass, it's not much different than some standard draught at a bar.

I personally drink this a few times a week, it "works every time" as the slogan indicates, and I've never gotten sick of it.

1.96/5  rDev -17.3%

Goodly amount of head, about two fingers of white, thick foam. Good clinging lace, nice pattern. Color is a 3 on the SRM beer color chart. So clear I think I could spear a shark in 40 fathoms of this stuff. Smell is that of wet straw and barley. Taste is not much of anything initially, but the after taste is sweet malt. Mouthfeel is nothing special, about one step above water. Nothing really stands out as good in this beer, but nothing that turns my stomach either. Cheep, drinkable, available, good yard work or attic exploring beer.

3.12/5  rDev +31.6%

Tall Boy can poured into a pint glass, I continue my exuberant sampling of a style so rare to me. And at 5.61%, not really much stronger than many an Adjunct Lager, what exactly defines this Malt Liquor thing? This can pours a clear and light straw, more like many a Light Lager. Half inch cap drifts away in short order with some lacing left behind. Better looking than Bud Light, but not by a long shot.

Nose of rice and a hint of corn along with some yeast. So-so and surely not as robust as others of the style. Taste is slightly sweet and creamy on the palate, yet reveals its PBR parentage as it warms given its spicy/sour yeast character which alone causes me to bump the nose by half a point.

Feel is a bit thin even with the creamy nature. Offers a bit of orange citrus on the finish followed by a slightly drying nature. A pumped up PBR? Not sure, but seems to share some roots. I prefer the dryer nature of the original.

3.66/5  rDev +54.4%

consumed from the 40 oz bottle

through the bottle, I see a pale straw color (as well as the likeness of Billy D!)

not much of a smell form the bottle. hint of malt, no hops. the taste is somewhat like the smell, semi-sweet, but not overpowering. Once again no bitterness, no hop presence.

this is a smooth one, with no harsh mouthfeel, although there is a slight sour aftertaste that lingers a minute. very drinkable. I could see downing a few 40's of this on a humid summer night after toiling in the yard.

1.36/5  rDev -42.6%

Wow... How could a beer be bad in every way possible? Easy answer: It is consumed in mass quantities in the ghetto. This beer is outright horrible.. disgusting taste, bad smell, disturbing color.... I honestly cannot think of a nice thing to say here...

2.58/5  rDev +8.9%

I love that some of these hi-grav AmeriCAN Malt Likkers (the artistes formerly known (by me) as AMLs) are now being packaged in 22-ounce bottles. Long live the revolution! I am (finally) withing striking distance of my 400th bottle and frankly, I CANnot wait for this madness to end. I am jonesin' to crack open a CAN and rejoin The CANQuest (TM) in its unstoppable glory. In the meantime, cheap mass-produced beers are on the menu.

I got a finger of fizzy bone-white head that was determined to dissipate its way out of existence. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity. I could see into the future and it looked kinda cold and bleak. That's what I get for indulging in this stuff. The nose smelled like the interior of a silo. Fermented grain, corn cobs and other slop left to ferment in the hot summer sun to be strewn before barnyard animals. Yum! The taste was actually better than the smell. It had a dry, cotton-candy-like sweetness thanks to their genius at biochemistry in developing a yeast strain that rips through fermentable sugars leaving only alcohol in its wake. No, really, it was bone dry but the residual sugars gave it a slight sweetness. It was pretty much the same ol', same ol'. Mouthfeel was fizzy on the tongue. Not too bad if you want a palate cleanser before moving on to something better. Finish was gaspingly dry. Again, it might be nice as a warm-up or a palate-cleanser before drinking something else.

Colt 45 Malt Liquor from Pabst Brewing Company