Colt 45 Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

awful

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.61% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Colt 45 Malt Liquor Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -32.4%

A - This beer pours a clear pale yellow straw color. It has a small fizzy 1-finger head. the head fell very quickly, leaving no lacing behind. There are tons of visible carbonation bubbles rising in the glass.

S - It smells of your average malt liquor. It is mostly just sweet corn and barley. Definitely not very appetizing.

T - Not good. Like the nose, it is basically just sweet corn flavors and sort of grainy. Other than that there is not much flavor. The finish has a bit of a sourness to it.

M - This has a light body and high carbonation. It goes down like water, and has a bit of alcohol sting.

O - It goes down like water. There isn't much flavor, and the flavor it does have is not good. Overall, I definitely do not recommend picking this up. There is no reason to spend your money on this beer, unless you are just looking to get fucked up quickly without having to taste much.

PS - Do not let this get at all warm.

JizackFH, May 02, 2011
1.68/5  rDev -24.3%

Drank from the 24oz can. I don't know how many more of these horrible beers I can take. Oh well... All in the name of beer exploration!

This one has that classic malt liquor sweet corny smell that can be detected from several feet away. It tinges your breath with the scent of sweet corn and death and lets everyone around you know that you are drinking some foul stuff. It reminds you of that bum you sat a few rows from on the Metro a couple of days ago who muttered to himself all the way home while sipping on a mysterious liquid in a brown paper bag, and now you are doing the same thing yourself. Each sip I take, I start muttering to myself, damn, what am I doing with my life. What Am I drinking? The taste is of corn and barley with a slight twinge of Wonder bread and failure. Finishes with an alcohol burn and an alcoholic's regret.

Horrible.

BucBasil, May 01, 2011
2.4/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a big can into a pint glass.

A: Looks ok, typical golden yellow with a decent amount of carbonation..a little wispy head and moderate lacing.

S: Weak and sour with corn traces and no hops.

T: Watery and thin with not much positive to say. Almost brings on an instant headache. Not too sweet at least. Nice mouthfeel I have to say.

D: I don't think I'd have more than one of these and the thought of having a 40? Maybe back when I was 14 that woulda been fun.

Value: Even for the price it pretty much sucks. Hmmm who can I give the other three of these to?

WeezyBoPeep, Apr 22, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -2.3%

A: Dissipating, bubbly head ... Clear, pale golden color ... Light carbonation ... Kind of DOA
S: Straw malt notes ... simple and unobtrusive
T: Sweet grainy malt, bit of a sour aftertaste
M: Crisp, bubbly feel, light bodied
D: My favorite malt liquor, but after this review I realize that thinking too much about malt liquor isn't just some harmless exercise in irony--it ruins the beer, wastes your time. Please learn from my mistakes.

ozzyCobblepot, Mar 28, 2011

A) Bright-white head. Very porous. Looks highly carbonated. Crystal clear. Light champagne color. Looks like a big class of champagne. A little more straw than champagne. Head and light lacing all the way down?!?!

S) Corny nothingness

T) No real flavor. A slight nauseating sweet malt if you think about it too hard. I'm afraid that it's going to warm up though.

M) Light

O) Considering that it's a malt liquor, I think it's terribly drinkable and flavorless. In my book, this is a great malt liquor and the gutters and areas surrounding the street trash cans confirm it. ABV isn't nearly as high as I was thinking.

So I think this is an B+ malt liquor but can I really give a malt liquor beer an B+? Yes.

esv, Mar 27, 2011
2.03/5  rDev -8.6%

The first 40 I ever had. This beer is lightly golden in color mostly yellow. Not a bit of head retention after the pour. Grains and Malts on the nose. Not a lot of hops in the flavor or the aroma. I'm glad that I tried this, but I don't need to find this again.

Knapp85, Mar 22, 2011
2.73/5  rDev +23%

40-ouncer, the format of choice amongst those poor souls panhandling outside the liquor stores, in my experience. This one is 8% ABV, and made by the Silver Creek Brewery, of La Crosse, Wisconsin, blah blah blah. Sleeman must have some sort of agreement with Pabst in the US, because the label is identical, and I am not creating a new, unnecessary entry.

This beer pours a clear medium golden yellow colour, with two fingers of sudsy off-white head, which settles quickly, leaving a paint job of solid lace around the glass. It smells of ripe apple, pale adjunct grain, and mild boozy yeast. The taste is more well-aged (benefit of the doubt here) apple, this time stewed in soft fusel alcohol, and quite sweet, with some weird floral essence. The carbonation is very shy, the body less so - medium in weight through the contrivances of The Cloying! It finishes still sweet, albeit with some residual drying from the booze and dead flowers.

Not that bad, really. Without the big sugar (heh), this is pretty inoffensive. No skank, or alcohol edge - a hell of an option for getting your advanced buzz on for a mere fiver (or 'Laurier bleu', north of the 49th)...

biboergosum, Mar 17, 2011
3.1/5  rDev +39.6%

When reviewing Colt 45, it's best not to compare it to premium beer, and to remember what Colt is meant for. Colt is a beer that you can enjoy on a very tight budget, because people with a low income should be able to afford a beer to drink.

The look is a bit thick, the smell is a little off, but the taste is quite average and enjoyable. If you serve it ice cold in a glass, it's not much different than some standard draught at a bar.

I personally drink this a few times a week, it "works every time" as the slogan indicates, and I've never gotten sick of it.

toomanyideas, Mar 11, 2011
1.98/5  rDev -10.8%

Goodly amount of head, about two fingers of white, thick foam. Good clinging lace, nice pattern. Color is a 3 on the SRM beer color chart. So clear I think I could spear a shark in 40 fathoms of this stuff. Smell is that of wet straw and barley. Taste is not much of anything initially, but the after taste is sweet malt. Mouthfeel is nothing special, about one step above water. Nothing really stands out as good in this beer, but nothing that turns my stomach either. Cheep, drinkable, available, good yard work or attic exploring beer.

beerprovedwright, Jan 07, 2011
3.1/5  rDev +39.6%

Tall Boy can poured into a pint glass, I continue my exuberant sampling of a style so rare to me. And at 5.61%, not really much stronger than many an Adjunct Lager, what exactly defines this Malt Liquor thing? This can pours a clear and light straw, more like many a Light Lager. Half inch cap drifts away in short order with some lacing left behind. Better looking than Bud Light, but not by a long shot.

Nose of rice and a hint of corn along with some yeast. So-so and surely not as robust as others of the style. Taste is slightly sweet and creamy on the palate, yet reveals its PBR parentage as it warms given its spicy/sour yeast character which alone causes me to bump the nose by half a point.

Feel is a bit thin even with the creamy nature. Offers a bit of orange citrus on the finish followed by a slightly drying nature. A pumped up PBR? Not sure, but seems to share some roots. I prefer the dryer nature of the original.

HalfFull, Dec 29, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +66.7%

consumed from the 40 oz bottle

through the bottle, I see a pale straw color (as well as the likeness of Billy D!)

not much of a smell form the bottle. hint of malt, no hops. the taste is somewhat like the smell, semi-sweet, but not overpowering. Once again no bitterness, no hop presence.

this is a smooth one, with no harsh mouthfeel, although there is a slight sour aftertaste that lingers a minute. very drinkable. I could see downing a few 40's of this on a humid summer night after toiling in the yard.

7beerphil, Dec 27, 2010
1.38/5  rDev -37.8%

Wow... How could a beer be bad in every way possible? Easy answer: It is consumed in mass quantities in the ghetto. This beer is outright horrible.. disgusting taste, bad smell, disturbing color.... I honestly cannot think of a nice thing to say here...

ronniebruner, Dec 20, 2010
2.65/5  rDev +19.4%

I love that some of these hi-grav AmeriCAN Malt Likkers (the artistes formerly known (by me) as AMLs) are now being packaged in 22-ounce bottles. Long live the revolution! I am (finally) withing striking distance of my 400th bottle and frankly, I CANnot wait for this madness to end. I am jonesin' to crack open a CAN and rejoin The CANQuest (TM) in its unstoppable glory. In the meantime, cheap mass-produced beers are on the menu.

I got a finger of fizzy bone-white head that was determined to dissipate its way out of existence. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity. I could see into the future and it looked kinda cold and bleak. That's what I get for indulging in this stuff. The nose smelled like the interior of a silo. Fermented grain, corn cobs and other slop left to ferment in the hot summer sun to be strewn before barnyard animals. Yum! The taste was actually better than the smell. It had a dry, cotton-candy-like sweetness thanks to their genius at biochemistry in developing a yeast strain that rips through fermentable sugars leaving only alcohol in its wake. No, really, it was bone dry but the residual sugars gave it a slight sweetness. It was pretty much the same ol', same ol'. Mouthfeel was fizzy on the tongue. Not too bad if you want a palate cleanser before moving on to something better. Finish was gaspingly dry. Again, it might be nice as a warm-up or a palate-cleanser before drinking something else.

woodychandler, Dec 19, 2010
2.1/5  rDev -5.4%

A= drank in true 40 oz fashion straight from the 40. Looks a typical macro yellow color in the bottle. After I pour a bit out for my lost ones a small head forms and falls fast leaving small cascading sheets of lace on the bottle.
S= sort of like a more pungent macro I guess. Not too bad.
T= oh wow that's pretty bad. The small amount of alcohol is present amd the after taste is really gross like syrupy veggies.
M= not bad. Light and crisp.
D= the taste is a deterent but while sitting around with the boys I could have one.

harpus, Dec 09, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +63.5%

let me start out this review by saying what needs to be said about colt 45 first - this is not a world class beer and we all know it, BUTTT it is a decent beer and for the price is better than miller/bud/coors light in my opinion - i think this beer gets so much negative reviews just because of the stigma behind "malt liquor" and the joke that only bums drink it - hell i know a lot of college students who drink it too - people are tired of the same old keystone/bud every weekend.

appearance - very average, looks the same every time that same yellow every time, never poured into a glass so no need to worry about reviewing the head or lacing lol

smell - average as well, very faint smell of alcohol

taste - good - not a complex taste by any means, nothing to savor or look for, no notes or hints to really pick out - this beer was made for you and your broke friends to enjoy on a TIGHT (im talkin TIGHT) budget.

mouthfeel/drinkability - pretty average but not bad at all has the right amount of carbonation so it goes down smooth - one of the easier beers to drink at 6% alcohol, much easier to drink than its HIGH GRAVITY counterpart which tastes nothing like beer

overall i give this beer a C based on every beer i have tried so far, based on me being a cheap bastard though i'd give it a B - not much you can find better for the price.

Lagerfeld, Nov 26, 2010
2.13/5  rDev -4.1%

Crystal clear golden yellow with lots of carbonation, fair head and not a lot of lacing.

Smells of alcohol, grain, corn, slightly sweet malts.

Can't say this is my fav malt liquor. Tastes of alcohol, corn, adjuncts, grains, a bit sweet.

Feels average for the style. Wet and carbonated, light body, thin.

There are other cheep malt liquors I'd much rather drink on those days where I'm digging for change beneath the seats of my car.

AlCaponeJunior, Nov 21, 2010
1.15/5  rDev -48.2%

Bought this one out of curiousity about this imfamous style. I expected the worst and yes it was bad but not as bad as I thought it would be.

Poured a pale, clear, yellow with a fizzy white head. Too my surprise, the head stuck around for a while but left no lacing. The smell was pretty bad of stale malts and unpleasant fuel-like alcohol. The taste was at first very watery but then a bit of cheap barley and corn came through. Mostly alcohol flavors dominated and not in a good way, like watered down, cheap, vodka, mixed with miller light.

Very watery in the mouth with some alcohol sting, not much more but could be worse. This was a hard beer to drink and I could feel a head ache coming. Rather than waste it, I split it with a friend. Glad I tried it but I will stay clear of the style in the future.

Sachsenfreude, Nov 13, 2010
2.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Even before I knew what malt liquor was, I knew it was what Billy Dee drank. If it's good enough for Lando, it's good enough for me. Although I still expect it to be pretty poor.

Golden and clear with lots of carbonation. Filmy cap with a touch of lace. A ton of corn and nonsense in the nose. The taste is thin and corn addled but not abusive to the tongue or stomach like some malt liquors. More drinkable than most malt liquor or even ice beer. Colt .45, gets um every time...

daliandragon, Oct 15, 2010
2.42/5  rDev +9%

From a 40 ounce to a glass mug...
Pours a golden straw color, has a white head with little bubbles.
Smells of corn, metal and malt.
Tastes like white bread, more corn, and malt.
The mouthfeel is medium, carbonation is ok.
Drinks good. Not the worst beer out there.

JMad, Sep 23, 2010
1.27/5  rDev -42.8%

So, he decides to bring back two Malts with him as well, eesh. My journey into the bottom of the barrel continues. We did a side by side with this and Steel Reserve. Consumed on 08/09/2010.

It had been a long time since me and Billy D had hung out together so I was laughing my butt off when this one showed up at the tasting. The pour was better then I thought with a medium amber color and a head of about two inches that stuck around for a few moments before falling into the same path as the others with a crystal clear, dark color with tiny strings of bubbles that were coming up through the glass. Aroma is of corn, alcohol, wet hay, and just a mess. Really just astringent and not very appetizing at all. Every sip seemed to bring a similar reaction from me as I struggled to get this one down before finally pouring the rest out. Just not a redeeming quality as far as taste, and I generally do not mind the style terribly, but this was atrocious.

Overall all I can say is not for me. It is going to be a fun couple weeks as I take a turn away from the rare and big guns and try and knock out this list of grocery store staples.

mikesgroove, Aug 13, 2010
2.9/5  rDev +30.6%

A: An unappealing, flat looking yellow, but actually had a creamy looking head, but no real lacing.

S: Cheap grains, notably corn. Adjunct notes and malty sweetness too.

T: Pretty malty, a little sweetness, but overall just not that enjoyable. Has that macro taste, but with malt and sugar.

M: Highly carbonated, not at all smooth.

D: Billy Dee on the front of the 40 oz can't save this one, but if you're thirsty, it does the job.

mostpoetsdo, Aug 12, 2010
1.53/5  rDev -31.1%

24oz can, served cold.

Appearance... it's a can, I'm not gonna contaminate any of my glassware with this stuff. Smell: not too much aroma coming out of the little pop-top hole. Mostly aluminum. Taste is also a lot of aluminum and some malty funk. Thin and watery. Pretty terrible all around, there's better stuff available at this rock bottom price point.

BeerNinja007, Aug 04, 2010
3.18/5  rDev +43.2%

Disclaimer, a C or a B rating from a malt liquor means it is tops for the style for me.

From a 12 oz can pours a thin gold into my vintage pbr glass, the head is big and white, quickly dissipating, leaves some lacing.

Smells like sweet malt with a pinch of corn and hops, actually a bit of a hop aroma per the style.

The flavor is a hint of caramel over a bed of adjunct lager, it hides the corn a bit better than other adjuncts.

Mouthfeel is actually alright for this cheap beer.

Drinkable when cold.

Prob the best adjunct lager out there.

crossovert, Aug 02, 2010
2.42/5  rDev +9%

A classic malt liquor. Colt 45 deserves credit for having been around for so long. Who knows if the recipe was changed over the years, but hopefully not.

I'm of course not going to pour this out of the clear 40 oz. bottle. I paid for the glass and I'm going to use it. Not attractive to look at. Dark golden yellow color. Moderate foaminess that dissipates quickly. Crystal clear to look through.

I've had different experiences with Colt 45. The bottle I'm currently reviewing seems a little stronger all around. The smell is not good. Skunky. This bottle is fresh for 3 more months. Reminds me of Silver Thunder. Corn, cooked vegetables, and sweaty socks.

The taste isn't as bad as the smell, but not far off. Colt 45 has that classic bad beer taste. Finishes clean which is the redeeming value. Try not to burp.

Carbonation is low to medium. Smooth. Watery, but the carbonation gets foamy very quick.

If you like Colt 45 there is nothing to stop you from drinking any amount you feel like drinking.

As I said, I've had different experiences with Colt 45. I'm not impressed with the bottle I'm currently drinking. I may have started with a bottle that was too warm. Remember, in the malt liquor world, colder is better.

troobie, Jul 14, 2010
2.23/5  rDev +0.5%

dont exactly know why i got it but here goes, pour a little into a tulip for looks, 32oz bottle.

A: in bottle and in glass it is straw yellow, with barely half a finger of head in the glass, and a huge what looked like a soap bubble left in the bottle

S: light grainy malt, cooked corn, maybe a touch of alcohol.

T: sweeter than the smell, tastes better straight from the bottle than from a glass. same light malt and corn, barely noticeable hop grassy/bitterness. oddly a little better than i was expecting.

M: watery carbonation is somewhat high.
D: just as easy to drink as it is to drain pour, feel like it needs to be in a brown bag.

rootbeerman, Jul 06, 2010