Colt 45 Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

awful

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.61% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Colt 45 Malt Liquor Alström Bros
Shaw

2.4/5  rDev +8.1%

From a 16-ounce can I bought at a gas station. Freshness date stamped on the bottom.

It's very yellow with a nice foamy white head.

It has a weird sweet, lightly grainy aroma.

The taste isn't very good, but it's not bad. Sweet and grainy.

Very light body with a tiny amount of substance.

Overall it's not very good. But I was expecting a disaster, and this beer beat my expectations.

01-30-2010 04:08:57 | More by Shaw
alkemy

2.58/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured out of a 16 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass. I doubt Jim Koch had this swill in mind when they designed this glass, but it will certainly be classier than a brown paper sack. Color is straw yellow with no head. I wouldn't describe the beer has hazy, but it gives the appearance that your glass has a film covering it. Smells sweet and skunked. Taste is surprisingly not hateful. It's sweet for sure, but the skunky smell doesn't show itself too bad in the taste. Hops is not really discernable, but there is a bitter note that lets you know it's there. I can't believe I used to knock these back in the 45oz. size in college on certain (ie. brown bag night) occasions.

01-19-2010 21:06:29 | More by alkemy
Bitterbill

Wyoming

2.93/5  rDev +32%

24oz can, best by? Nov 3 2009.

A clear and bubbly yellow gold colour with a finger's worth of foam.

It has a sweet cloying smell, slight note of charcoal, and very grainy.

The taste is of swwt malt/sugar(though not as strong as in the smell)some corny grain, and a light bitterness throughout. Not bad.

Close to medium bodied with the carbonation at a very brisk level. Head retention turns out to be better than average, nah, quite good actually.

This isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I see the abv isn't outrageous so the huge dump of sugars to get the alcohol up there, like in many Malt Liquors, wasn't the route taken with this one. A 12oz sample would suit me better but the 24oz isn't the greatest chore I've ever put myself through. Bottom line, it's ok but it'll probably be years before I visit it again. ;^) I'm more of Mickey's Fine Malt Liquor fan...

12-22-2009 00:05:24 | More by Bitterbill
tjd112

Malt liquor should not even be considered beer...

Presentation - Straw colour with little head and little lacing

Smell/Taste - Corn, sugar, and lots of alcohol, like, if you put an eyedrop of everclear into some MGD 64

Mouthfeel/Drinkability - Icky and I could not get past a few ounces.

12-16-2009 23:15:20 | More by tjd112
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

1.69/5  rDev -23.9%

How to drink Colt 45.

Think of Billy Dee Williams. Get that 40 oz ice cold. Tell yourself its kitsch value or something.

Anyways, looks like yellow swill. Smells like 54 day old beer. Surprisingly, the taste isn't "horrible". I mean, you can drink this if you had to, there is worse stuff. Its pretty much all corn and rubbing alcohol. Don't let it get warm, or it gets even worse.

Lando Calrissian.

11-29-2009 04:51:55 | More by Beerandraiderfan
Hovellord

2.55/5  rDev +14.9%

No, Colt .45 doesn't taste too good: I really couldn't perceive anything but a slightly malty-metallic taste, with no nose. It is cheap, fairly drinkable, and once had Billy Dee Williams as a spokesman. I mean, no, it's not great, but not entirely nasty, so... at 6 %, what the f@$!?

11-29-2009 04:25:29 | More by Hovellord
BBri

If you're looking for a buzz on the cheap, this is a good choice. Not horrible tasting but certainly nothing I'd offer to guests at my house. Has the noticable "alcohol" flavor of a cheap malt liquor but C-45 is not as "harsh" as the others. You can actually get one down. I'd recommend it as a good choice before a cheap rock concert, a late season football game or before an event as a "pre-game" so you don't have to spend too much on booze in the venue. Gives you a rockin' buzz but don't over-do it! Serve this swill ICE COLD!!!!

10-22-2009 14:00:41 | More by BBri
sociallooter

South Carolina

3.33/5  rDev +50%

OK.. This my first review. Why Colt45 You say? The answer is plane and simple, I LOVE IT. I think hands down it's the best "old man under the overpass drink." I would like to say I'm a malt liquor aficionado, but that just sounds strange. I remember my first sip of this cold refreshing, sweating, 40oz jug of fall over backwards fun in a bottle.(That should be there new sales pitch)

On with the review! So, I just moved to South Carolina from Upstate NY. I went to my local Kroger to purchase some cheep beer. To my surprise NO 40s! only Quarts. 1.32$ AN unbeatable price. I got home and opened it. The smell was different than it normally has. The colt 45 funk was not there but replaced with a sour smell almost like aluminum can and garbage. I was horrified. I drank half and I was done. The reason I gave it a 5 in drink-ability is because I can drink a lot of colt 45. This is the king of session beers. When ever I go out for a night on the town It's a colt 45 pregame party.I'm still looking for "the holy grail" 15/12oz cans(15 pack?) that no one seems to ever have in there stores. In the meantime I will pray to the beer gods that someday i will find it and drink every single one.

10-05-2009 21:22:04 | More by sociallooter
ecoastman

Ontario (Canada)

2.35/5  rDev +5.9%

I've been anticipating with some dread and, at the same time, some excitement to review my first malt liquor. This one is 7% "Strong Beer". Guess they had to bump it up a little for Canadian trailer park tastes??? Here it goes...and YES, I'm going to compare this to the best beers in the world...Isn't that the point of this site???

I twist the cap with no real reaction from the bottle's liquid. I expected worse...no fumes of solvents or gasoline... Do I drink this straight from the bottle??? Should one also hold the bottle inside of a paper bag?... I'm unsure of the appropriate protocol.

A - Finally deciding on the use of a stein, the beer provides a decent head that quickly recedes with no lacing. A slightly hazy straw coloured beer with a high level of carbonation that replenishes the thin layer on top.

Smell - A sweet malt as expected, along with something soured...trying to find an identity for the sourness, I accidentally dip my nose into the beer and get a better appreciation for the sweet malt. It's not as bad as I had psycologically prepared myself... It's beneficial that I really appreciate a malty beer...

Taste - First and foremost, this liquid doesn't quite have the texture of even an average beer...nor does it taste like an average beer. So this is malt liquor huh?... It tastes more like a weak shandy with gingerale. No, or restricted hops I'm sure... However, the 7% alcohol is very well hidden. This beverage was made for cheap and high volume consumption.

Mouthfeel - As stated earlier, this product doesn't even feel like any other beer that I've ever consumed. No real descriptive body; smooth and sweet watery syrup... I'm quite surprised given the high level of carbonation that this concoction has no distinct sharpness. I suppose that's a testament to the utilization of hops. This drastic journey on the hop/malt scale provides an individual with a true appreciation for the intrinsic value of nature's wonderful hop.

Drinkability - Highly consumable if you act as though you were not drinking beer and aren't afraid of the ingredients (who knows what additives and preservatives are in this corporate swill that's produced for the cheap consumption of the common unwashed masses). I may drink the remainder directly from the bottle to fully appreciate the cultural experience that these products bring to our society. I can't wait to see how I will feel tomorrow 'cause I'm gonna finish dis bottle-a-gonna kick yer ass mudder-effer...!!!

Bought a bottle for my buddy JZED as a gag gift. I bet we'll be drinking this stuff again just for laughs...afterall, it ain't too bad by the end of the 7% bottle...

...Isn't it comical how this stuff makes for some of the longest reviews? This is probably my personal review length record...ridiculous. Oh wait, it's just me...

End of the bottle...recommend to drink it cold and fast. Now I wanna put on a white sleeveless shirt and teach my wife's cat a lesson in R-E-S-P-E-C-T... come ere kitty...you ain't gonna dis' me no more...

09-12-2009 01:05:00 | More by ecoastman
asnider

Alberta (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev +62.2%

OK, I'm reviewing this in the context of malt liquor. Unlike some reviewers, I will not be comparing it to craft brews. It's a ridiculous comparison, so I'll be reviewing it for what it is, in the context of the style.

Colt 45...the classic malt liquor. As a rule, I would say that, if you're going to drink a 40 of malt liquor, drink it straight from the bottle. And, Colt 45 actually tastes pretty good straight from the 40. But, in an effort to be fair and make this a real review, I've poured it into a pint glass.

Here's the review:

Pours a pale amber with a thick, soapy head. Head shrinks to a thin ring pretty quickly. Leaves mild, spotty lacing.

The aroma isn't exactly pleasing...there is a strong smell of alcohol as you first open the bottle, but it's not as overpowering as other malt liquors. Beyond that there is a sweet smell typical of adjunct-filled beers.

The taste is, to my surprise, pretty damn good. Obviously, it doesn't compare to a nice craft brewed beer but, as malt liquor goes, Colt 45 is one of the best (though, admittedly, my sampling of malt liquors is pretty limited). It doesn't have the boozy taste that many malt liquors tend to have. Sure, it's high in alcohol, but it doesn't really taste like it. There is a lot of malty sweetness, which is nice, but there are also some noticeable adjuncts. Despite the "off taste" created by the adjuncts (corn and dextrose, I think), Colt 45 is actually pretty tasty. It's definitely the best tasting malt liquor I've had.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy, which is typical for a malt liquor. In other beers, I might find this thickness off-putting, but it works in a malt liquor, so I'll call it "average."

Drinkability is high. Very high, in fact. Unlike a lot of malt liquors which have the burn of high octane booze, Colt 45 is smooth. Billie Dee Williams was right, this stuff is smooth and easy drinking.

While I'm certainly not going to start sucking back Colt 45 every weekend, I actually think I might buy it again. It'll get a few laughs from the friends, and it'll go down nice and smooth.

08-27-2009 04:42:26 | More by asnider
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.05/5  rDev +37.4%

Poured from a 16oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very pale yellow color with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of adjuncts, light malts and touches of alcohol and hops.

T: The taste starts out with an adjunct and light malt sweetness that is quickly followed by the breadiness of grain and barley. I'm not getting the same alcohol bite in the taste that most other malt liquors have, but I'm guessing that it might be because this beer is on the low end of the ABV spectrum for the style. There's a mild hops presence which is normal. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: A little tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, good representation of style, it's one of the better Malt Liquors that I've had and even though it's not the stronger one out there, it's still a cost-efficient way to get a buzz going, which is what this kind of beer is intended for.

08-16-2009 00:38:03 | More by TheManiacalOne
jjanega08

2.25/5  rDev +1.4%

A= drank in true 40 oz fashion straight from the 40. Looks a typical macro yellow color in the bottle. After I pour a bit out for my lost ones a small head forms and falls fast leaving small cascading sheets of lace on the bottle.
S= sort of like a more pungent macro I guess. Not too bad.
T= oh wow that's pretty bad. The small amount of alcohol is present amd the after taste is really gross like syrupy veggies.
M= not bad. Light and crisp.
D= the taste is a deterent but while sitting around with the boys I could have one.

08-01-2009 03:59:41 | More by jjanega08
buschbeer

2.05/5  rDev -7.7%

I poured into a Columbus Blue Jackets Molson Canadian pint glass to white, foamy head that quickly disappeared. It is yellow and clear. It smells awful. It tastes like Billy D. Williams pissed in a can. It is gonna be tough choking this down.

Cheers!

07-05-2009 18:29:55 | More by buschbeer
Onenote81

2.75/5  rDev +23.9%

This was the other suspect 'beer' that my friends brought along with them, along with the "High Life." See that big ol' bottle in the picture above? That's what they grabbed...for $1.60. Nice.

Pours a clear yellow with a slight orange tint. Big frothy white head on top. Retention was fair, leaving some pretty rings along the glass edge. Smells sour and grassy. What I expected.

The mouth on this was a tad better than the Miller I just consumed. A smidge more carbonation playing on the tongue. A smidge... This beer has a bit more flavor and, dare I say, bite? Some sweet malts come through, but not enough. The cheap husky grains are the main player. This will do at a softball game or something, but otherwise, this will not be a regular in my drinking plans.

06-30-2009 04:02:48 | More by Onenote81
tone77

3.18/5  rDev +43.2%

Poured from a clear bottle into a weizen glass. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Mild malt smell, not much aroma. Taste is slightly malty, mostly bland. O.k feel in mouth and drinkability is average. A good beer to get wasted with, otherwise not so great.

06-27-2009 16:24:46 | More by tone77
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

2.65/5  rDev +19.4%

For what it is... not bad. I can only drink 1 of these, where I can drink 2 of other 40's. This one gets very sweet after a while, and tastes like barf if you let it get warm. Drink it fast, drink it cold, and this stuff goes down rather well and packs a punch. Malt Liquor provides a really nice buzz.

Not going to win any awards, but good in a pinch. Drink ice cold and quickly, though.

06-01-2009 20:08:16 | More by ShogoKawada
nlmartin

2.35/5  rDev +5.9%

I discovered better beer before my friends. They made faces and poked fun at Bass, Guiness and the like. Oddly enough they drank my good beer and all we had left was some wonderful brew like Busch, Little Kings or Keystone. Needless to say that shit got old in a hurry. Finely I found the beer even they wouldnt drink. Colt 45 aka Billy Dees or affectionately known as Lando Calresians. I would bring a case of colt 45 and the bastards would leave my beer mostly alone. Colt 45 works everytime.

This review will consider colt 45 served ice cold in a glass and from the forty. In all honesty I believe the proper glass ware for Malt Liquor is the bottle in a paper bag. I am a purist that way.

Appearance: The beer pours a clear yellow coloration. The head is white and holds oddly enough at a quarter inch.

Smell: The beers aroma is corn cereal strained through alcohol and filtered with charcoal. This beer always reminded me of tar and charoal.

Taste: Dam is this some sweet alcoholic punch. Vegetable water and corny grain cereal. An odd suggestion of coal flavoring the beer. Not gag inducing.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is thin and effervescent. The beer remains drinkable if it is served cold and consumed fast.

I got to say I still prefer this beer out of intended glassware. The bottle and a paper bag. The paperbag shields you from the contents. The aroma is kicked up because I cant smell it. The taste is still corn grain. The balancing bitterness comes from that charcoal filtered flavor. Mouthfeel the carbonation is a bit more present but this may only be because how fast I am drinking this beer. Drinkability is improved from the bottle. In short I highly reccomend this buzz beer from the bottle ice cold and drank as fast as you can.

05-20-2009 02:40:03 | More by nlmartin
biggred1

Indiana

2.83/5  rDev +27.5%

Clear golden with a soft fluffy white head that leaves trace lacing behind. Smells of grits and slightly soapy. Tastes sweet and corny with cereal grains and a little bit of alcohol on the back end. Medium bodied with fizzy carbonation. I always thought this was a lot stronger that 6.1% ABV in my younger days when me and my friends would choke down 40 oz. bottles of Colt with reckless abandon, a pretty average malt.

05-14-2009 22:22:52 | More by biggred1
projectflam86

2.53/5  rDev +14%

A- Pours light yellow color with fizzy white foam head that quickly fades. No lacing.

S- Adjunct corn and stale cereal. Noticeable alcohol and grainy sweetness.

T- Grain and corn taste. Peppery and sweet with a noticeable malt presence. The cereal taste is a bit stale and funky with some serious tang. Alcohol is sharp and warming. Astringent and funky finish.

M-Light bodied and lots of carbonation. A bit watery and lingering funky aftertaste.

D- It is what it is. A cheap malt liquor that is meant to be had in large amounts. Not the best tasting brew, but goes down pretty easy.

05-10-2009 03:37:40 | More by projectflam86
BigBen61

Kentucky

2.7/5  rDev +21.6%

After returning for some god awful reason to this hell hole of brews I realize my first impressions were not so accurate as I would like them to be. Let me be honest, the bottle itself scares me. My dad used to store pre-mixed weed killer in these bottles when I was a kid...and guess what it was the same color as the stuff in this unopened bottle of C45. The color is by far the worst part of this beer, especially in the bottle. The nose was a bit less offensive but still nothing to get exited about. The taste however is surprising in that it is not too far from many macro lagers especially the "Ice" versions (eg. Bud Ice, Keystone Ice, etc.) Mouthfeel is just nicely carbonated and light and the only reason the drinkability isn't higher on my ratings is because after a few 40's your out of the game for a while.

04-14-2009 04:54:53 | More by BigBen61
PintOHops

3.88/5  rDev +74.8%

poured from a 24oz can into a mug.

Appearance/Smell - Appears pale gold/yellow with medium carbonation and an inch of bubble bath head. Has a decent head retention, very large carbonation bubbles, and very spotty lacing but it's there. Smells of intense musky malts, grains, rice, corn and mixed vegetables. Very grainy profile with hints of citrus grape, and doesn't seem to be offensive as it warms.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes very, very grainy. Lots of rice, malts and mixed vegetables as well. Finishes with lingering rice and malt flavors, but overall dominant rice/grainy flavor profile with nothing offensive. Moldy, or stale malts with hints of metallic twang develop as it warms. Still, not offensive but not desirable. Mouthfeel is smooth going down with lots of active, lively carbonation on the palate. Lite bodied and pretty bitey overall.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - Had once before and it's not anywhere as bad as I remembered! This Malt is smooth, and easy drinking. Has allot more flavor with a little more alcohol than say, King Cobra. Pretty easy to consume as much as you wanted. Not bad, with only very minor flavors that may be offensive to one, as it warms. I definitely will be buying again, I liked it! I recommend you give it a try. Cheers!

03-26-2009 00:41:27 | More by PintOHops
Rainne

2.42/5  rDev +9%

I only drank this because it's everywhere and the colored folk seem to like it.

A- Clear amber color with a bigger head than I expected but it fades fast and doesn't leave much lacing.

S- Grains with some sweetness. Doesn't seem like real malt though. Alcohol for sure.

T- Now I'm getting the malt. Maybe it is real? Grains and sweetness again are most of the flavor. Even light hops bitterness to my surprise. Again the alcohol isn't hiding.

M-Thick with high carbonation. Creamy.

D- Okay. Not as bad as I thought but not worthy.

03-22-2009 13:38:25 | More by Rainne
BedetheVenerable

Missouri

2.63/5  rDev +18.5%

Presentation: Shady-looking 12oz can

Appearance: Medium gold beer with a surprisingly dense ivory head from a vigorous pour, fades pretty quickly

Smell: Sweet, ultra sugary graininess, with a touch of metal

Taste: Sweet, with just a hint of grain; ultra-simple

Mouthfeel: Light-medium bodied

Drinkability: So-so

Conclusion: It's a drinkable malt-liquor when it's $.75 at happy hour and you've never tried it before....that's about it.

02-25-2009 06:00:39 | More by BedetheVenerable
Rhynes2

1.73/5  rDev -22.1%

Well if you're gonna pick up a few of these then you must already have low expectations. We bought these as a joke. We spent the night listening to old school gangsta rap and downed a few forties. The taste sucked, but the atmosphere was spot on. Tastes really cheap. The alcohol shows through and not in a good way. It was really foamy and and light in color. It was like natty light and sprite mixed together. t goes without saying that this is a bad call for humanity.

01-29-2009 07:17:21 | More by Rhynes2
dapearl9

2.33/5  rDev +5%

Appearance

I poured the Malt Liquor into a large pint glass, a little too direct perhaps creating a large foamy head about three fingers thick. The foamy head was puffy white, not unlike a cloud on a beautiful day, lazily passing through the sky. Sadly this dissipated quickly into a look like ragged cotton as the carbon dioxide faded.

It's body is a thin golden orange that some people may crudely refer to as "piss-gold" and I am one of those people. With barely a head left a minute after pouring, tiny bubbles laced to the surface in small isolated streams.

Smell

The alcohol is the first smell to hit my nostrils, gently reassuring me that this malt liquor will indeed do the trick for me. Just below that is a slightly doughy scent, reminding me of baking bread in days gone past. Below that is a stronger alcohol smell and slight metallic hit as well - like a conduit to the factory from whence it came.

Taste

After an excruciating wait, the anticipation tearing my insides apart, I sip from my pint glass gently. The alcohol is not as pronounced as expected, though it has a crisp bite to it. Not as great a bite as a Pale Ale, but something lying between old citrus peels and childhood regret.

Mouthful

The beer is on the thinner side though it still has a certain 'heft' to it; it's not water but it flows quickly into the mouth. Swallowing it down is slightly more challenging as it foams and bubbles as you drink it, not not unlike a fine champagne.

Drinkability

It goes down easy at first but it can become a challenge as you continue drinking. With a generally smooth if somewhat industrial taste and feel to it, It goes down quick at first but quickly builds a heavy feeling in your stomach. Once you realize this though you also realize, "Oh my, I'm a little buzzed." Then it doesn't seem so bad so your drink more, continuing on your vicious cycle.

Overall

While Colt 45 may not win many awards it has one at least one, the key, to my heart. Nothing high class by any means, but if you're hanging around with a couple friends looking just to goof around or dirt poor, living on ramen noodles, pretending you're not in you're apartment to avoid bill collectors since there's no money even though I am since I have no where else to go-YOU! I mean, you have no where else to go. Anyhow, what I mean is it's a decent, cheap malt liquor to get you by and a solid choice for college or chilling around on the cheap with some friends.

01-29-2009 03:37:35 | More by dapearl9