Colt 45 Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

awful

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.61% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Colt 45 Malt Liquor Alström Bros
2.6/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Drove to Georgia yesterday with some friends to buy a bunch of these, since 40's aren't sold in Florida. Am I ashamed? No, it's a football weekend.

It seems absurd to review this in the normal format though: Appearance was piss yellow, no lacing, poor retention. Smells like corn. Tastes like bitter, alcoholic corn. That said, it goes down easily enough, especially when cold. Wouldn't want to attempt the feat when it's just cool. Mouthfeel a little slick, but carbonation is good. As far as malt liquor goes, it gets a lot worse than this one here. Taking style into account, it's not bad. Overall, yes it is.

1.53/5  rDev -31.1%

Picked up a tall bottle at the NSLC

Appearance: Pale yellow in colour, small head which was gone before I blinked.

Aroma: Ugh... I just had a dry heave. Smells like cheap malt liquor should smell like, which is not very good.

Taste: Terrible! Nothing worthy to note hear, it's just watered down cheap beer, with added alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, but at this point, who cares?

Final Statement: Everyone should drink one of these at one point in their lives. I drank 2... and maybe I will again, who knows.

2.13/5  rDev -4.1%

Sipped from a champagne flute.

A - Medium (two finger) white head that leaves lots of lacing. There is no visible carbonation in this pale yellow brew.

S - A lot of rice, a bit of corn and very faint gasoline.

T - Just corn at first. The aftertaste is of corn bread, bad corn bread, gasoline and grain alcohol.

M - Thin, smooth and pretty refreshing.

D - It is alright. It is of course nothing to look forward to, but it does go down fairly easy. I imagine that the clear bottle would be vastly inferior to the can.

3.35/5  rDev +50.9%

It's 100 degrees outside. I have a ice cold colt 45 and life isn't so bad. It is a typical cheap malt liquor, but it is refreshing on a hot day and packs a good buzz for the price. Pour one for your dead homies and keep a couple for yourself. Sure you could be drinking a good Pilsener, but sometimes it's ok to be ghetto.

1.35/5  rDev -39.2%

This malt liquor is horrid. The stuff looks like a concentrated Budweiser with a healthy dose of horse or cow urine. It smells like fermented infection juice. The delicate flavor is that of gasoline and rotting corn. If you’ve ever wondered what a chemical cocktail would taste like 3 months past its born-on date, this stuff is it. Enjoy!

2.38/5  rDev +7.2%

Colt 45
40 oz clear bottle

* Summer 2006 Malt Liquor Review Series: Part II *

Shiny golden yellow color. Honestly, the appearance reminds me of urine. Thin white lace on top.

Strong whiffs of corn.

Syrupy sweet flavors with a major grain malt quality. Stale popcorn and rice flavors with a sugary syrup drizzle.

I guess the idea behind this beer and most malt liquors, is to drink it cold as possible and as fast as possible for ultimate enjoyment.

1.63/5  rDev -26.6%

To start off this is a far below average malt liqour that I found to be quite like any other malt liquor, crappy.

A: Ugliest bottle i've ever seen, and a very unatractive beer which pours an average piss color.

S: Smells a lot like Point White Biere, bad.

T: Very spicy, malty (obviously), and has little hop pressence.

M: An excellent mouthfeel and not too bubbly.

D: Far too much of an acidic burn to the back of my throat after taking a drink.

Bottom line: Just not reccomended, unless your a fan of malt liquor which I am not.

2.17/5  rDev -2.3%

The beer pours a very bright gold. A thin, fluffy head sits atop the beer. It looks like an N/A. The smell is worse. All I can smell is adjunct sweetness. The taste proves that the smell is not a lie. The only taste is a very musty, sweet one. The mouthfeel is okay, until it gets to the back of my tounge, where it turns into battery acid. It is to sweet to really pound down or drink casually.

1.8/5  rDev -18.9%

"Hells yeahs I love MA 40%".
This is an "okay" malt I should add I use that word lightly. The appearance is pretty decent nothing to bad. The smell isn’t good. The taste is sub par. The mouth feel is okay. I’ve drank this several times, but it has never been very easy to drink it in more than small sips because honestly it makes me sick to take large swigs. Overall a great hobo drink/ “I want to get crunk” beer.

1.33/5  rDev -40.1%

Appearance: Light clear pale golden hue with a bright white eggshell colored head leaves nice even lacing...somehow it's doesn't look too unappetizing. Aroma: Cereal grains light toasted pale malts with heavy corn and rice providing some evident sweetness influences touch of alcohol. Taste: Well...this is where it gets harsh...this one's definitely for my homies. Corn husk offness slightly metallic adjunct ridden in the worst way no hop flavor brings out just a bit of my gag reflex is it worth the 24 oz 99 cent offering to drink this beer. Mouthfeel: Is light bodied... a bit thicker than the typical mass produced lager a bit of residual sugars. Drinkability: Well no don't drink alot of this or a little in multiple sittings not good beer even for a malt liquor.

1.48/5  rDev -33.3%

Had a bbq today, one of my bastard friends thought it was funny to bring this, fortunately my other bastard friend brought an Old Crustacean bottle. On to this mess though. Cracked it open, made an obligatory Lando remark due to past marketing. Typical yellow, but not clear, more of a golden straw, very foamy. Smells of stale corn flakes and carbonation. Tastes artificial, tastes corny, tastes, bad. It was hard to drink, I couldn't get through much of this can, the big two four beat me.

1.8/5  rDev -18.9%

Apperance is dark yellow. Smell, very sweet, not as revolting as other Malt Liqours but nothing to brag about.

Taste is also very sweet and bit like corn. Mouthfull is kind of like a mouthfull of vodka, it just gets worst. I do not recommend savoring it, but why on earth would you savor malt liqour?

The worst part about this beer is going down, very bitter. In fact, with my vodka analogy, the best way to drink this is to swig it down and clench your fist. In terms of Malt Liqour, this is okay, but for beer, just drink hard liqour to get drunk.

Why did I feel so dirty buying this?

2.2/5  rDev -0.9%

I bought this 40 oz bottle for a friend and he turned up his nose to it. A few days later I cracked the top and poured it into a wine glass. Why not? You have to do something to make this beer classy.

From a small wine glass the appearance was a light yellow color with abundant bubbles. The aroma was lacking. It smelled of rotting silage. The first sip was mild. It tasted like a light tonic with a hint of corn. On the second sip, I swirled it around in my mouth and it reminded me of a hot summer day. I slowly finished the first glass and poured a second glass. The second glass seemed better than the first glass. My nerve endings were dulled and the more I drank or this, the more I wanted to drink ----> I'm not sure why. Maybe there is an additive in Colt 45 that makes it addictive... Anyone know?

1.8/5  rDev -18.9%

Macros, gotta love them. Pale yellow pour. Smells like water. Tastes like water, these beers challenge you to find the flavor. There is very little, some sweet graininess but that is it. It's yellow carbonated water. Mouthfeel is like carbonated water. Very drinkable but it's completly mindless. Oh well it's good for low budget beer drinkers.

2.13/5  rDev -4.1%

Appearance: A very mellow yellow. Looks a little like beer.

Smell: Who cares. It a Colt 45. It does not have to smell good. If it has black and white stripes ---

Taste: I used to love it But that was many years ago when I did not know any better. On a hot day after paving a long driveway this would be excellent.

Mouthfeel: Hmmmm. Never thought of Colt .45 as having any mouthfeel. I thought the idea was to drink it as fast as possible before going out to hear some back arching rock and roll.

Drinkabitity: Like I said. After jack hammering all day or paving a long driveway on a hot day this is the way to go. Or perhaps drink a few before that 4th of July softball game that no one cares who wins or who gets hurt.

2.2/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A semifinalist in Maltliquorpalooza 2006. This was a fairly smooth drinking ML with no gag-inducing qualities....save the distinct odor of tuna fish. Yeah, i just really dont want my beer to smell like tuna. Dont get me wrong, i like tuna on a sandwich or in sushi, but keep it away from beer. Lost to Olde English in our tournament.

2.65/5  rDev +19.4%

40 ounce bottle, the classic butt-kicker.

Orange-amber liquid pours into a pint glass with an ample white head (vigorous pour!) that fades quickly. Smell of malt and rice and corn, with a bit of hops. Not intense by any means. Flavor is surpisingly full, but not very complex. Mostly rice and corn, adjunct alcohol that leaves a medicinal taste. Fairly decent mouthfeel. This is a lot of alcohol for not much money.

2.78/5  rDev +25.2%

22oz. clear bottle. The “Double Deuce”. This bottle had more date and production information printed on it than most craft beers. From the neck: 11215 ES0406 From the bottom of the bottle: 183 5A1 0441 Not sure exactly what that translates to but, it is there nonetheless.

Crystal clear 10K gold toped with a huge bright white head of small and medium bubbles that slowly settles like meringue leaving moderate lacing. Eventually it reduces itself to a modest cap. A few lazy carbonation streams rise to the surface. The smell is crisp and corn husk and rice are prominent. There is a sticky sweetness about it. The taste is sweet and slightly bitter, but distinctly adjunct laced with corn and rice dominant. Alcohol notes are present, but not dominant, being masked by an almost cloying sweetness. Light body, with a fuzzy, bouncing carbonation. Overly sweet.

1.7/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours out a pale straw yellow. Very clear, a little carbonation and a nice fizzy white head that disappears pretty quickly to a tiny colar, though it sticks a little to the glass.. Smells sweet and malty. Surprisingly sugary and sweet. A touch of hops in the nose. It just reminds me of a generic macro. A little bit maltier, but it also has a strange tartness in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a little grainy and a little more full than I'd like in this type of beer...it just makes it a little less drinkable than I'd like. This is undrinkable. I poured it out after like 6 ounces. Just crap.

2.85/5  rDev +28.4%

Poured a pale yellow color with very large white puffy head that almost immediately disappeared. Smell is very minimal, with only a slight sweetish note to be found. Taste is mostly sweet, and any hops present are minimal. Finishes with little taste, but is refreshing. An average beer.

3.18/5  rDev +43.2%

Well I've always been a secret fan of Olde English 800. So naturally, my "gangsta" intentions had to try this. I got a 32oz. bottle of this at Smokey's Beer and Tobacco in Gautier, MS.

Appearance - Straw yellow. Very plain, although has a very nice head and head retention throughout.

Smell - Actually more complex than I expected! Corn, alcohol, and hops. Not saying that's complex, but it's a perfect mixture of the three.

Taste - I'm actually SHOCKED that this is even drinkable. It's actually quite good for the price. If you want to just get drunk off your nuts, I would recommend this. Very smooth, and would go great with dinner.

Mouthfeel - Standard, nothing honestly too special here.

Drinkability - Smooth, which makes this more dangerous than it looks. I was on my second glass before I even realized I had drank that much. For a party, definitley recommended.

2.28/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's me and Billy Dee ... seekin' out the Double Deuce bottle.

My fear is it will be horribly light struck- sitting up around the cooler lights in a store that doesn't move too much malt liquor. Got a break on that- just a whiff of skunk that gives way to grain and grass.

It looks like a weak Corona yellow but the puffy bleach white head has some staying power and makes the appearance adequate.

The taste, alas, has no spine at all. just attenuated grain.

Come for the price- stay for the cheap buzz,

Still- even cheap beers can harbor good memories- it says G. Heileman Brewing, reminding me of my dad's howmetown in La Crosse.

2.63/5  rDev +18.5%

I always love to pick up a 40 of some malt liquor now and again just to keep myself grounded. I see these uppity wine drinkers that think they know what they are talking about but in a blind taste test they rate 2 buck chuck as their favorite. I find that some of the most underrated beers are one's I enjoy and the Colt is one of them.

Poured into a pilsener glass it jumps to a two finger ivory head that fades but leaves lacing with every drink. pale/straw color w/ medium to low carbonation.

Malty/sugar type taste with some grain. this one doesn't get as syrupy as most do when they warm up. It held its composition well. If this was a couple notches higher in Abv i'd be impressed but at 6.1 its decent. It is what it is and they do a decent job at it.

2.93/5  rDev +32%

Ahhh.. Colt 45, it works every time. I remember drinking these in high school, mainly based on the price point. Now they are $1 more and have 1% less alcohol than it did before. (used to be 8%, now it's 7%). Also, I happen to be drinking one of these as i write this, so here we go.

Appearance is this orange color. doesn't really look too appetizing. it smells horrible, like alcohol and something metallic i can't really describe, surprisingly however it really doesn't taste that bad, has this "Warming" sensation while you drink it. Aftertaste is unique, a lot better than i remember it being in my younger years. This is pretty drinkable, and a good choice for cold weather (warms you up) and hits you quick. For a cheap brew i would likely go for this again.

1.43/5  rDev -35.6%

Bought a case of 40's for shits and giggles with a bunch of friends. Worst idea ever.

It doesnt look horrible, just your typical mass-produced rotgut. The smell is at best, unpleasant. The mouth feel isn't bad, but the taste will make up for that.

I can only describe Colt 45 like this: Someone took a light-bodied beer, squated over the bottle, and farted. Beer + Fart = No fun for anyone.

I should also mention that if its your first time with a 40 of this, be prepared to get your ass kicked.

Again, Colt 45 40's night: Worst idea ever.

Colt 45 Malt Liquor from Pabst Brewing Company