Microbrew Invitational

Colt 45 Malt LiquorColt 45 Malt Liquor

Pabst Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Malt Liquor

Introduced in 1963 by the Baltimore, Maryland-based National Brewing Company, Colt 45 was named in honor of running back Jerry Hill, who was #45 on the 1963 Baltimore Colts football team. Through high-profile partnerships with actor Billy Dee Williams and comedian Redd Foxx — who both appeared in radio, print, and TV advertisements – Colt 45 established itself as the premier malt liquor beverage by the early 1970s.

It was also during this time that the iconic slogan, “Works Every Time,” became synonymous with the brand. The Williams relationship lasted for nearly four decades, until he passed the torch to music mogul, Snoop Dogg in 2010.

With Snoop at the helm, we’ve entered an exciting new Colt 45 era.

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 08-24-2001

Reviews: 262 | Ratings: 844
3.35/5  rDev +41.4%

This malt liquor has a dark bronze color to it with a nice study white head. I get a sweet corn husk aroma along with what I detect to be hops, could it be? Taste has that corn syrup malt liquor sweetness, but its not overly sick like some. There might actually be some hop flavor in here leveling this beer out. Finish is dry and lingering in alcohol. Drink cold like all malt liquors but this was more enjoyable than most. Not bad at all, seriously.

2.7/5  rDev +13.9%

Picked up a 40 after a late night at work to compliment my dinner of white Castle burgers and onion rings.

Looks like your average lager and initial taste is similar too..Grainy and slightly sweet.
Minimal head, average carbonation. Has a distinct raw alcohol finish. Easy to drink while still cold although as it warmed slightly, I didn't find it offensive at all. I can see having one of these during a fight night on TV with some pork rinds. Not bad.

3.18/5  rDev +34.2%

Got this baby on a whim the night before my highland games comp in Sumter, SC. Figured it would be overly sweet and clingy with a thick taste. but actually turned out to be rather smooth. Definately had the corn taste to it, but also had some maltiness and a little tiny bit of hops. Very clean taste, left no nasty aftertaste on the palate. Believe it or not, this BA kind of enjoied it. I'd say go for it, if your into malt liquors and big bottles of cheap beer. Lord knows it's got the right price.

1.4/5  rDev -40.9%

This gem comes in a 24 oz can, tittled "two four," and sadly, this is the best thing about this beer. This is particularly fizzy and yellow, has a sweet taste, with an "aftertaste." Other than that, it is 6.1%, i believe, and this is very important when it comes to this beer. For you would only ever want to ingest this liquid with the intent of forgeting your name.

If you thought you were picking up something classy, and came home with Colt 45, you will be disappointed

1.78/5  rDev -24.9%

Had one of these last night, and it was sure a trip in time back to 3 years ago, where i discovered the concept of a 40. Anyways. Clear glass bottle, didn't bother to pur it, it's a 40, afterall. Clear medium gold color, lots of carbonation. Smell is grainy and corny, not much of an appealing malt or a hops presence at all. Take an american macro, make it skunkier and less palatable, and then you have colt 45. Pretty bad, but will give you a buzz. My head still hurts.

1.5/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I thought I would drink some of the american big breweries beer the stuff america was brought up on, plus I need to save money. poured yellow big white head.aroma malty citrus skunky. flavor none.the oly good thing about this beer is the big white head the the lacing.the only way to drink this is ice cold and fast on a hot day

2.5/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Oh boy...

Appearance-wow!! nice golden yellow color with a minimum foamy head, it dissapears after a few, but still, more than I thought I'd get.

Smell-aside from (obviously) getting a lot of alcohol stench from this brew, there is a slight bit of maltiness.

Taste-bitter dry finish, while in the mouth it releases some hop nuances but mostly just alcohol.

Mouthfeel-not very smooth but more than I would think from a malt liquor, drink quick.

Drinkability-two fifty for a 40 at my liquor store. If you can deal with this you can drink till you pass out, if that's your game (college kids)

Overall-after tasting this there is no point to buy Bud Ice or Natty Ice, Colt 45 is much smoother and more drinkable. Granted it isn't a top notch beer by any means, but in the drink quick and cheap to get drunk category I don't think you could do much better.

4.43/5  rDev +86.9%

mmm-mmm good. This beer has magical properties when consumed properly from a 40oz container. There should be another column in the ratings for "value" this would get a 6.0. $1.99 for 40 ounces of malt liquor bliss. A malt liquor for the true connoisseurs.

3.63/5  rDev +53.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

App: Come on now. Straight from the 16oz can

Smell: Plenty 'o wet cardboard. Hint of overripe bananas.

Taste: strangely this swill brings to mind the banana esters of a hefe. Interesting. This still tastes like a malt liquor, but one of the better variety.

As a malt liquor enthusiast, I recommend this one.

post-script: Im reviewing within the style here...

2.08/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearance - pale yellow pour from the 24-ounce can. A white foamy head forms up in the pils glass and doesn't fizzle down immediately, but it's gone soon enough. Some thin ropy lacing helps pull this one out of the gutter a bit.

Aroma - slightly sweet, very corny, one of the few beers that I'd rather not smell, and that doesn't happen often.

Taste - a thin malt base, but a malt base nonetheless. No hops to be found, overall just a plain beery taste, but it ain't bad.

Mouthfeel - light body, thin, not much aside from a few bubbles.

Drinkability - a good answer for beer on a budget, but it's boring for anything outside of a frat party, camping trip, or malt liquor swill-a-thon.

1.36/5  rDev -42.6%

You think that Henie is skunky? Think again. This stuff tastes like ass as soon as it comes from the brewery, and it doesn't get any better with age.

Foul. Foul. Foul.

Even when it comes to malt liquor in 40s, this stuff is just stupid to buy. If you absolutely NEED 40 ozs of high alcohol malt liquor, get Olde English or Mickeys. This stuff is almost undrinkable.

2.5/5  rDev +5.5%

Obviously Colt 45 isn't anywhere near the best beer around, plus it doesn't have that nice of an appearance or smell either, but it tastes pretty damn good for $1.59 a bottle and it goes down easy. This is my first bottle of "ghetto juice" in at least four years, so its hard for me to compare to the average convenience store malt liquor. So in summary, Colt 45 isn't great by any stretch, but is pretty decent for the price and has nice drinkability.

5/10

2.38/5  rDev +0.4%

Sometime in every mans life we must do something that is against our better judgment. Something that is so far from our regular routine, that it makes one stop and wonder. That is what I found myself doing today...
Colt 45 is a classic Malt liquor. Delivered to you in pride from a 40 ounce bottle, it gives one the impression that flavor isn't what Pabst had in mind when they devised this concoction. They intended simply to F you up. If that wasn't their reason, why did they get Billy Dee to sell their beer.
Colt pours from the 40 la fine, bright clear yellow. The head is foamy, but I don't know how much I trust it. It has the consistancy of the bubbles from dish soap. To be brutally honest with you, it looks like urine.
The smell was skunky. I don't know if it was left in the light too long at the store or what, it was skunky.
The taste was the finer point of the whole experience. It actually tasted malty. Go figure. There is a concept for you. Did you read that, OE 800? It was malty. Yes there were hints of corn and a graininess, but so help me Jesus, there was malt.
I wasn't all to impressed with the mouthfeel. It was watery and left a grainy feel in my mouth.
I'm not drinking this again. I don't care how poor I am, There is no way I'm drinking this swill. Fo Shizzle.

2.88/5  rDev +21.5%

Pours a clear yellow that is almost gold.

Smells faintly of grain and malt, faint lemony trace. Not bad since I was expecting much less.

Taste is decently malty! A bit sweet but not too much with some grain in the taste. Mild bitterness, and a trace of alcohol. I do believe this tastes better than a Budweiser, mostly because it has a real taste.

Mouthfeel is average.

More drinkable than you would think, it beats a Budweiser.

3.35/5  rDev +41.4%

I really enjoyed this. It's better than every macro lager i've had - this is thicker, dirtier, and better. Kind of a rich, malty,semi-sweet cheerio taste with some power and a little bit of kick. The price is right- at under $2 for a 40. Smells like alchohol, but nothing too rank. I didn't pour, but it left a soapy film that slid down the sides of the bottle. Looks golden and dirty. Feels perfect on the tongue. Body and carbonation are just right. I will definitely buy this again- one of my favorite american lagers.

This has to be one of the cheapest malt liqours available on the market today. Here in Virginia it only costs $1.49 for a bottle. That is a helluva great price to get trashed on. I drank three of these the other night, and i felt pretty good. The mouthfeel is pretty good for such a cheap malt liquor, very surprising. Definitely worth the money.

2.54/5  rDev +7.2%

I have yet to rate any Malt Liqours and figured I better get started...Haven't had any Malt Liqour in about 15 years and am someone surpised with this one....the taste is not bad at all....it does not feature that overbearing sweetness I expected....It is on the sweeter side...corny sweet....creamy texture....body is about medium....pours light gold in color with an impressive 1/4 inch head...Nose is alcohol and adjuncts....not a highlight...

Overall this is not bad, and is definitely drinkable....Better than some of the cheaper macros...I don't plan on buying it again, but I wouldn't rule it out...

2.06/5  rDev -13.1%

I had to get me a 40 after a bad day at work. It was just how I remembered it ice cold out of the bottle nothings better. It has a nice beer like color to it, with a thick fluffy head. The smell was of dirty socks. The taste was like kind of "bud" with a terrible aftertaste not a bad malt liquor!!

1.91/5  rDev -19.4%

Smells like napalm in the morning.... This is a truely offensive brew to the nasal passages, but if you're just looking for something to get a quick buzz off of or a gag, this is for you. Tried this in the traditional 40oz incarnation and I have to say I've had much worse. Deep gold hue with a grassy/corn taste to it. High in alcohol content so as Billy Dee Williams says "It works every time". If that's what you're going for. If you're on a budget, skip the Natural Light and all that crap and grab some of this... it actually has some taste and looks like real beer.

What the?...this is actually drinkable!
Served from a can bearing the "every time" part of the "works every time" slogan...recalling TV commercial memories of Dee Williams seducing multiple young women with the help of this brand. Perhaps not coincidentally on the other side of the package there is a photograph of three young, presumably Jamaican women. The consumer is invited to call a 1-800 number and enter to win a trip for two to Negril. "Join us!" they beckon.
I like what this beer says about me.
The aromas are, as another reviewer noted, precisely that of boiling ears of corn. My fear was that the flavors would be brutally sweet and shapeless. In fact, it's dry, with bready, roasty grain flavors. The carbonation is intrusive and the finish is a washout, but...you know, if you want to catch a painless buzz...
Works every time.

1.5/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I seem to be getting alot of cheap beer lately. Fortunately, I haven't payed for any of them. When I first poured this out of the can, I learned an important lesson. Don't pour this outta the can. Drink straight from the can. Grainy colour, carbonated, no head. Smelled of alcohol, malt and corn. Tasted the same way, with a terrible aftertaste. Drinking from the can was a slight improvement, in that I didn't smell the beer as strongly. God awful brew for those only interested in a cheap buzz, something not even I got from this.

1.55/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This brew poured a small head of white medium sized bubbles that quickly disappeared leaving a carbonated weak light yellow body. It has that typical low quality rice beer aroma and a fizzy flavor. There is no real character to this gassy beverage. Burp!

24 oz. can. Oh yuck! Another American mass-produced beer. This beer poured a small white head with small-medium sized bubbles that quickly diminished. There was no lacing observed with this beer on the sides of my glass. There was carbonation observed rising to the top. It had a fruity nose.

2.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Macro with an attitude. Looks like macro, tastes like macro on steroids, and priced like macro. Everything but appearance is a bit below average. This has been around a long time and hasn't improved. This is really a good marketing effort of a fairly poor beer.

2.38/5  rDev +0.4%

Not a bad malt. Its got a decent flavor, but is better when it's icy cold. Had a strong smell of alcohol and malt, and was a bit on the bitter side. If i am going to drink a malt, it's gonna be this. I'd say to those who are not versed in malts to try this one first, as i think this one is as good as it gets.

Colt 45 Malt Liquor from Pabst Brewing Company