Ballantine India Pale Ale - Pabst Brewing Company

Ballantine India Pale AleBallantine India Pale Ale

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: puboflyons on 08-21-2014

750ml bottles are limited release but 12oz and draft are year-round.

70 IBUs
to view more.
Ratings: 515 | Reviews: 124
3.92/5  rDev +0.8%

To bad it was ahead of its time years ago. This is a great beer, What a difference it could have made if people had caught onto this taste all those years ago. Maybe they did and
those sissy beer drinkers, those girlei-mans, ruin the market for the true beer lovers then.

4.18/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 23 Apr so just over a month old.

Pours out into a Duvel glass a nice clear rich copper color with light, active carbonation and a 1" ivory head that slowly recedes leaving a ring line and some patches of lacing as it eventually settles down to a thin surface cover with a few islands here and there. Sipping leaves behind multiple small speckles along with a few long legs of lacing.

The gentle aroma contains both hops and some background malt. The contribution of the hops seems to contain pine resin, grapefruit citric and floral components at different times. What surprises is the gradual emergence of a wee bit of what seems to be woodiness from oak.

As expected from the nose, the flavors include pine resin, grapefruit citrus and some caramel sweetness from the malt. There's also noticable dank bitterness, mostly on the back of the palate. Again there's a contribution here that seems almost like oak. There's also more complexity than I'm able to describe at this point but I've a few more of these in the fridge and will use them to modify this description as I sort out what I'm tasting here.

The beer is medium bodied, has ongoing light prickly carbonation. The finish begins in some malt sweetness that gradually turns dry as bitterness takes over the back of the palate, helping to turn the malt sweetness into that lingering bitter dryness that invites yet another sip.

So far I'm liking this beer and glad there are more in the fridge just waiting. Its nicely drinkable and I can see buying more now and then in the future. Furthermore it seems to have a challenging complexity to it which I don't feel I've unraveled yet in what I've said above.

3.52/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

What's with all the high ratings for this beer? I can appreciate and respect the romantic history (this may well have been America's first IPA), but by today's standards, this is only marginally better than mediocre. A veritable malt bomb, salvaged only by decent hop bite, but the flavor profile is truly pedestrian. If it was the only beer available at the bar, I'd drink it, but there are so many sexier gals out there to be content with this.

4.01/5  rDev +3.1%

The original Ballantine IPA was brewed long before I had even been born. That's why it's such a treat to be able to try a modernized take on it. I'm not sure about all the details regarding the recipe.

Pours a mild copper hue with a one-finger head into my glass.

Decent hop aroma upfront. Citrus and pine come to mind. Smells like one of the premium IPAs/DIPAs that are so popular with people today.

Crisp with that old school pine bitterness (albeit muted) and a touch of citrus. Ok, maybe that's just my taste buds defaulting to citrus. Definitely piney.

Finishes with a decent citrus bite. Crisp finish too.

Exceeds my expectations. I would love it in cans but I am sure they would sell them at a high mark-up to cash in on the Heady/SOS craze.

3.85/5  rDev -1%

Served in a pint.

Appearance: Golden Amber color what is pretty transparent with heavy bubbles and a thin white head which rose to about half an inch with a hard pour.

Smell: Light hops and citrus scent.

Taste: Bitter and lovable. Heavy grapefruit...you appreciate the quality of the brew the more you sip it. Tends to mellow out.

Mouth: sticky, chewy.

Overall: Good brew, honestly one of the best at home watch a fight with friends beer. Or overall football beer. Personally would buy again and keep a steady during certain events.

4.48/5  rDev +15.2%

Light on the hops. A little malty on the nose and back end. Somewhat dry. Nice taste, different from what I expect of the style-- but pleasant.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

Nice light IPA, not too hoppy

3.85/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Good stuff! I'd buy a case of this!

3.56/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a hazy orange color with a finger of foam. Aroma is quite potent, with a nice grassy/hay hoppiness and crystal malt sweetness.

First sip is quite sweet - hops are not the dominating flavor here. There is a nice grassy flavor but the main focus is the sweet malt.

While I appreciate that there may be a lot of history behind this beer, this does not compare favorably with modern day IPAs as far as flavor profile. This is a nice, malty sweet beer, but not something overly special.

2.14/5  rDev -45%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Got on special. Nothing memorable, bland in taste, very little hoppiness.

2.9/5  rDev -25.4%

A PBR with some bitterness thrown in.

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Nothing going on here besides the deep amber color.

3.77/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From notes on 3/7/15

Nice job Pabst. Was talking to the rep, and this is the original recipe from the 1800’s. They actually did know how to make good beer back then. Nice well balanced IPA, with a good bitter hoppy taste.

4.69/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow, I haven't seem this label since I was too young to drink. Had to take a stab at it. Absolutely wonderful. Great aroma, starts clean and finishes with obvious hop presence. I was pleased with it and found it to be a great everyday IPA. I would choose it over a good number of IPA's I've tried. Keep up the great product and I thank them for keeping or bringing back an old name in ALES! Cheers!

Outstanding flavor, no residual after taste....very smooth finish...can't say enough

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a Samuel Adams tasting glass. The label lists the abv at 7.2% and the IBUs at 70. The back label has a nice description of the beer. Appearance: The body has a nice deep golden color with a very slight haze and lots of visible carbonation. It also has a few small speckles floating around in the beer. On top there is a very nice thick head of foam. This foam is just off white in color and hangs on very well making cool lacing on the glass as I drink. Smell: It is full of mouth watering citrusy hops with a light kicker of pine like hops. I also get some sweet bready maltiness as well. Taste / Palate: Right up front there is sweet maltiness mixed with bitter citrus rind, fruity notes of pineapple. The finish brings out the piney hop bitterness which lingers on the palate. The palate has a good medium to full feel with good lively carbonation. Notes: I would say that Ballantine has done there homework. They have crafted a very solid IPA.

3.79/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A- Dark orange, copper, and unfiltered. Has a nice, frothy, 2 finger head. Fairly thick head. Nice looking bubbles streaming up from the bottom of the glass. Great looking IPA for sure!

S- Tropical fruits and pine. Fruits are of pineapple, grapefruit, oranges, and mangoes. Leathery as well. Hops are fairly dank and oily/resinous smelling. Caramel malty notes and toffee are there as well. Some bready, biscuity notes too. Little bit of salt as well.

T- I'd have to say the nose is the same as the taste. Tropical fruits and pine right away on the palate. It is an upfront hoppy, bitter beer. It's more hoppy and malty. Very good tropical fruits with the pine. I even detect a slight soapiness, which isn't too uncommon in some hoppy brews like this. In the background is the malty flavors of bread and biscuits, mixed with the caramel and toffee. Salt is there from the nose. I like the salt aspect. It seems to help the beer finish on the dry side. It gets rid of the intense bitterness (I say intense in a positive manner). It's salty and bready when it finishes. I personally wish I could detect the woody presence like this IPA was traditionally aged in, but I sadly cannot. But it's good anyway. This stuff is very nice.

F- This is straight up a medium beer. I find it to be crisp, clean finishing, and it's refreshing to me. It does have a slightly slick mouthfeel and oily taste. They are using imported hop oils from the UK, so it's no wonder I'm detecting an oily flavor.

*Overall, this is a great IPA. Is it my favorite IPA? No. Would I ever hesitate to buy it? Not in the least. I think I paid somewhere between $7.99 and $8.99 for my 6 pack. I think that's a fantastic price for this beer. If you like IPAs, history, or both, get this beer!

3.89/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a damn good beer. But then again, so is Torpedo. I consider this beer on par with Hop Nosh/Torpedo. It must have been truly a marvel to behold in the 50s and 60s when craft brews were rare, but nowadays, this beer is matched (and outmatched) by many, many competitors.

If your looking to scratch that IPA itch, this will do the job. I pronounce it good.

This is a badass IPA, I will be drinking it for a long time

4.8/5  rDev +23.4%

As an American IPA this was impressive. I tend to prefer English or East Coast American varieties. It was perfectly balanced. If I didn't know any better I'd easily accept that it was a microbrew.the attention to detail was that good.

3.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Well rounded. Tasty and full body.

1.35/5  rDev -65.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Why? Why would they even release this. It's mildly bitter, flat and just bad. Don't get it. I predict it'll be off the market with 12 months. Sorry, but I'm being honest.

3.96/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This pours a semi-clear, golden amber color with a slight foamy head. The aroma is rich with hops. The taste is smooth and rich with bitter hops. The bitter flavor lingers throughout as the beer finish crisp and clean. This is a brew that really lives up to it’s rating.

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into an IPA glass. Amber in color and smells of pine and citrus. The taste follows suit with more of a grapefruit flavor. Hop bitterness on the palate with a smooth finish. All in all a real nice ipa that has pretty good drinkability.

3.99/5  rDev +2.6%

On tap, Pours amber, with clingy white head, and laces the glass nicely. Pine and herbal notes lend a cleaning/disinfectant aspect in a good way. Aromas translate directly into the flavor, which is consistent through the finish.

to view more.