Stag - Pabst Brewing Company

Beer added by: winomark on 11-02-2003

to view more.
Ratings: 147 | Reviews: 60
Reviews by TheWhiskerReview:

One of the little delights in my life: driving around the Belleville area, the original home of Stag, and seeing the large billboards that exclaim Stag is 'not for beginners'. And being one of the more diabetic-friendly beers, it certainly is for people who spent their entire lives drinking and eating midwestern food.

Pours a faint yellow with lots of fizz- a 3 finger white head that recedes about as quickly as it forms. Nose gives off that typical adjunct character- stale malt, touch of lemon and touch of booze- while the light-bodied palate showcases a flavorless interplay of dry grain and bread crust flavors. There's a faint corn-like sweetness and a big carbonation, while the bitterness comes in on the finish bring a bit of booziness and leaving a bit of dryness and juiciness.

There are beers out there that, no matter how bad, still leave you with the impressions of your first few years drinking, forming friendships that last a lifetime yada yada blah blah. For some people, its Bud. Could be PBR. I don't give a shit. For me, it's Stag. This is a matter of hometown pride, and this beer can't get any better.

4.45/5  rDev +49.3%

I used to think this beer was a joke, until drinking it at the bowling alley. I tried it along with budweiser, and realized it was much much better. usually I like the craft beers,but this beer holds its own. Its also one of the cheapest.

I poured it into a pilsner glass from a bottle. It had a 1 finger head that dissapeared after about 25 seconds leaving nearly no trace on the edge.

the smell at first was very distintive, a slightly fermented apple smell followed by an earthy grape. the smell only lasted the first min.

the taste is slightly fruity at first followed by seltzer with a pleasant very light tangy desert after taste

has a pleasant tingly feel especialy after (it goes down way too fast to notice during!!)

excelent drinkablity sometimes even quenching

2.67/5  rDev -10.4%

A - Golden yellow with absolutely no trace of a head. Looks like watered down cider.

S - None really. Cooked corn mocro lager scent. I can't really smell much of anything.

T - Corn and maple syrup with an actual hop flavor that is very very light, but uncommon in macro lagers. Very sweet and corny. Not bad, but not good.

M - Watery macro lager mouthfeel. Not bad for the style. More carbonated than others.

D - Better than it's bretheren. This has a sort of infamous name around here (Springfield IL) and I must say that it is better than Bud or Miller. Than being said, this is not a good beer... but it is a good cheapo beer!

3.08/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm shocked to only see a few reviews of this. It is nearly ubiquitous here in STL. Nonetheless, there is nothing remarkable about this beer. It is a classic working class adjunct lager. It pours golden and clear, with a healthy, quickly dissapating corn-fueled head. The taste is grainy and largely metallic out of the can, go figure. It is a great thirst-quencher and that's about it. IMO a good pomo hipster alternative to the cliched PBR.

2.76/5  rDev -7.4%

Neighbor brought this beer up from southern Illinois. Stag never made into Chicago stores that I know of. This beer is typical like its sister Pabst. The color is golden clear with a thin white head. The smell and taste lean towards grainy. the mouthfeel is simple and quenches one's thirst for standard american beer.

3.27/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

It's my grandfather's beer. He added a shake of salt into every glass he got down at the tavern.

3.28/5  rDev +10.1%

12 oz. can poured into a pint glass.

A: Light golden, with a thick, white, fizzy head that lingered for a brief while.

S: Corn and light hops... not much else.

T: Again, corn and light hops. It was a little more noticeable in taste than smell, though. Not bad. No aftertaste like many adjuncts normally leave behind.

M: So long as it's cold, the mouthfeel is light, not sticking out or offending.

D: Great for casual situations. The lack of an aftertaste makes this a beer of choice when I'm going for something standard.

Affordability is a major plus with this beer. 12 packs are $5.50 in St. Louis, Missouri. Overall a solid, easy-drinking beer and a good alternative when the bank is tight.

2.92/5  rDev -2%

A yes, the half-quart can, an early 70's throwback, with the gold coloring and intimidating deer presence staring you in the eye - an opaque yellow hue, with a champagne appearance - absolutely no head, yet tons of carbonation. A very delicate grainy aroma. Malts are definitely in the body, with a metallic and grassy body. Very thin bodied, yet un-offensive, in fact a bit of a thirst quencher. Some hop detection in the background. Very little character and weak bodied, but one that definitely does not offend, a half-way decent lager when you compare it to those in its class.

3.27/5  rDev +9.7%

Thanks to resi for the trade.Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some corn. Taste is good, sweet, malts and corn, considerable bitterness for an adjunct lager. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a decent beer.

4.1/5  rDev +37.6%

Tried this on tap at a dive-ish bar in Edwardsville, IL. After learning that we had never tried it before, the waitress warned us it is "an acquired taste." We daringly proceeded.

Served in a frosted glass, this beer resembled any other macro lager though the bartender thankfully put a little head on the beer.

I was curious to learn just what this "acquired taste" was... I mean, we're not talking a Rauchbier or a sour here. How acquired can a macro lager be? One whiff of the nose told me what it was: sulfur. Whatever lager yeast they use is quite sulfury, particularly for a macro lager. Personally, I enjoy a slight sulfur bite out of my lagers, and any character from a macro is welcomed by me.

The taste confirmed the smell. It was quite clean up front, with some malt flavor but slightly watered down in the grand tradition of the macro lager. I didn't really pick up any adjuncts, but at the same time it was pretty cold. I did notice a nice malt presence for an adjunct lager and, again, a slight sulfury bite which gave it a nice mineral edge. It almost reminded me of a watered down Dortmunder.

While it had just enough hops to keep it from being sweet, it had a wonderfully smooth finish. You know how most macros leave that slightly skunky bitter taste in your mouth? This one was nice and clean. Between the slight sulfur character and the crisp finish, I found this to really stand out from most macros. Sadly, I've never seen it here in Chicago. However, along with Schlitz Gusto, I think this is a great example of how adjunct lagers don't have to suck. I'm not saying they'll compete with a Bamberger Kellerbier or anything, but this would be infinitely more refreshing after a softball game than a Bud Select or a Miller Lite.

3.28/5  rDev +10.1%

I've seen old Stag signs still hanging above taverns in central IL, and they piqued my curiosity. This bottle was left over from last Labor Day, languishing in the back of my fridge all this time.

Poured this into a cylindrical stange glass, usually used for German lager like Kolsch. Ice cold. Super pale gold, almost a pastel canary yellow in the right light, with 2 fingers of foam that disappear quick. Thin collar of lacing.

Mild apple and grain aroma, a little sulfuric at first. Vague sweet corn later. Papery dry malt flavor, seltzery feel with a little astringent with a carbonic bite of CO2. Dry finish with a bland aftertaste, but not terrible. On a hot day, a couple at 45º would hit the spot. Cheers to BA jpm30 and Forgottonia...

3.38/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours clear pale yellowish gold with a big 2 finger head that left spotted lacing down the glass

smells of sweet cereal/corn and light grassy hops

taste is ok - sweet corn/cereal some hops some sulfur

mouthfeel is a little watery but who cares it tastes good - nice and crisp dry finish - maybe a bit over carbonated

drinkability is ok- this will now be my cheap brew staple in my fridge

3.5/5  rDev +17.4%

This beer brings back memories of living in St. Louis in my younger years with my dad having some Stag in the fridge most of the time. I used to consider Stag as a lower class or trashy bitter beer. My palate has certainly changed since then.

My can of Stag poured a lemony yellow into my pint glass with a big 1 inch white head that quicky left. Lots of carbonation in this one.

Not a lot of smell which is a plus for me in an adjunct lager. Maybe a faint whiff of corn or cereal grains. The taste is dominated by corn and some hops bringing a crisp dry flavor. Maybe a touch of alcohol as well. I do like this better than BMC.

It has a typical thin mouthfeel but this is refreshing when cold and goes down easy. And at $7 for a 12 pack (even cheaper on sale) this makes for a good cheap beer to have on these hot summer days. The distribution is rather limited so I will have to buy some more Stag the next time I am in the St. Louis area.

3.68/5  rDev +23.5%

Stag has a thick, white head and a very clear, yellow to golden color. Carbonation is very high. Aroma is faint, but typical for an American-style adjunct lager. The taste is nice, with a tad more hop character than one normally gets with these types of beers. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Stag finishes crisp and refreshing. Overall, this is a good, solid lager, and I recommend giving it a try. It is not sold in Louisiana.

RJT

2.49/5  rDev -16.4%

I ordered this beer only because I had never had one before and wanted to try something new. I knew I was in trouble when the waiter brought a can of beer that just said "Stag Beer". Can't get any more generic than that. No indication of any specific style of beer, just plain ol' beer. I later found out it was made the PBR people which explaines why it taste like a PBR. The beer did have good color and lots of impressive white foamy head when poured into a frosted pint glass. Unfortunately, this beer is all looks and no taste. In fact, it tastes like someone waved some hops over carbonitated water and called it beer. If you like PBR, you will love this beer. If you like beer, don't order this beer.

3.25/5  rDev +9.1%

This is my favorite cheap beer. This beer actually has some character to its flavor, unlike most other cheap piss beers. It looks a lot like them, but it has a little more of a hoppy smell and taste than beers like Budweiser.Great ice cold on a hot day.

3.65/5  rDev +22.5%

A friend from work brought this back for me from Nashville, Illinois as he said it was one of the best american macros he'd had. I eagerly went home ahd put the 12-pk of stag in my fridge.

apperanace = drank from a bottle but I'm imagining it's the typical pale color with heavy carbonation

smell = very pleasant with a little bit og hops aroma

taste = surprisingly crisp and refreshing with some definite hops undertones. very inoffensive and very similar to pbr and lone star

mouthfeel = somwhere between light bodied and medium bodied

drinkability = very high. this beer goes down easy and isn't too filling. also, I drank one of these before it was very cold and it was still very drinkable. In my opinion that speaks well of any beer.

4.76/5  rDev +59.7%

I have had this beer many, many times, and I am going to review it for what it is - probably the best macro or adjunct lager you will ever find. I have had it on tap, from can, and from bottle. Tap is definitely the best, although none are bad. This beer is unbeatable for drinking with any outdoor activity or during hot weather. It's also very inexpensive, with a case running $11-12. It's a simple, straightforward, easy drinking beer that's great for any purpose other than connoisseur-like critiquing.

A - Pale golden, standard lager color. Not much head, what there is fades pretty quickly.

S - It's a little grainy with a tinge of hops - the aroma is not overpowering at all.

T - Standard lager, somewhat robust but very dry. Almost no aftertaste. Smooth, with no offensive flavors.

M - Crisp and light, without being weak or transparent...as the style should be.

D - In my opinion, there is no beer with better drinkability than Stag. It's refreshing, tastes great, and leaves you feeling fine the next day.

2.72/5  rDev -8.7%

Appearance - had mine in the can, but I can guess what the color would be.

Smell - It smells really sweet.

Taste - the typical AAL taste, with that weird corn/rice aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - A decent body and carbonation.

Overall - this beer taste just like PBR, without that sweet taste.

2.94/5  rDev -1.3%

I had this beer at a 4th of July fest, and thought it was decent for the style. Today I partake in this buck of a beer.

I poured this in a half liter dimple glass. Pours good for a bright white fluffy pillow head that dissipates very quickly. The body is pale gold in color and is cleanly filtered.

In the aroma there is a faint hint of cereal grain and mainly corn.

Taste wise it is mostly corn husk with a lightened rice finish.

Mouth feel is crisp, clean, and refreshing. This is a decent lawn mower beer, or something to guzzle while out camping or bbqing.

1.76/5  rDev -40.9%

Reviewed from notes. Thanks to jsh420 for this.

Pours a clear fizzy yellow color. White head is fairly decent. Nose brings some light grain and a bit of corn. The taste is really more like creamed corn and the grain character almost goes entirely away. Feel is light. Really not a good beer.

2.02/5  rDev -32.2%

Wow, a near-miss for The CANQuest (TM)! I got several of these, passed one onto tone77, drank one and somehow did not review it and fortunately had one in reserve. No time like the present, especially as CAN # 400 looms on the horizon.

From the CAN: "Golden Quality Since 1851".

The Crack & Glug was a stunning success, netting better than two fingers' worth of foamy bone-white head with good retention. Man, but I could smell cereal adjuncts immediately! No need to lean in for a sniff, but I did so anyway, just to stay in practice. The smell of adjunct-driven lager is becoming old hat to me now, but it is still not the most pleasant of odors. It makes me think of the bad old days, sitting in smoky bars, drinking cheap draft beers, getting into bar fights, picking up loose women ... Well, that last bit wasn't too bad, but some of them were improved by copious amounts of cheap draft beers. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was medium with a fruity, grape candy-like taste on the tongue. Wow! Is this beer THAT cheaply made?!? I got this from some real disasters early on and was surprised to taste it here. Finish was slightly sweet, but the combination of cereal and grape made this one a beer that I would not slip into my worst enemy's cooler when he was not looking, let alone put it in mine. MUCH better AALs out there, believe me.

2.96/5  rDev -0.7%

Straw colored and clear, fizzy with a poofty white head and not much lacing, lots of rising bubbles.

Very little smell. Some adjuncts and grains.

Taste ain't half bad really, some light malts, a bit sweet with some corn, grains, grasses and maybe a touch of hops.

Light bodied, slightly dry, plenty of carbonation.

Overall it's an easy to drink, but unimpressive beer.

3.15/5  rDev +5.7%

A: Pours a pale golden color with a good head and no real lacing.

S: has a clean, fresh grain aroma.

T: Has a mild sweetness, a bit grainy with a dry finish.

F: Fairly light body, crisp and refreshing. This is a beer with a little meat on the bone , so to speak.

O: Easy drinker after a hard days work. A real beer for people who do real work. Nothing wrong with a retro beer.

3.1/5  rDev +4%

I mainly bought this, because...well...I can now say that I have had Stag from the can. I have always wondered what it would be like to drink in the 70's. Plus, at roughly $.52 a can, you really can't go wrong.

A: Pale, pale, oh so pale. One of the palest brews I have come across. Bubbles floated from the bottom of the glass almost through the entire 12 oz.

S: Nothing. There is nothing there. Taking a deep smell right next to the glass reveals absolutely nothing.

T: Honestly, it's not bad. I was expecting something loaded with either corn or sugar, but there's none of that here. A touch of hops in the back with a slightly bitter ending.

M: Very thin, feels like a light beer, but without all the carbonation.

D: Easy, easy, easy. The glass disappeared, almost into thin air.

to view more.