Stag - Pabst Brewing Company

StagStag

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: winomark on 11-02-2003)

pooogy, Aug 09, 2012

bsuedekum, Jun 06, 2012

One of the little delights in my life: driving around the Belleville area, the original home of Stag, and seeing the large billboards that exclaim Stag is 'not for beginners'. And being one of the more diabetic-friendly beers, it certainly is for people who spent their entire lives drinking and eating midwestern food.

Pours a faint yellow with lots of fizz- a 3 finger white head that recedes about as quickly as it forms. Nose gives off that typical adjunct character- stale malt, touch of lemon and touch of booze- while the light-bodied palate showcases a flavorless interplay of dry grain and bread crust flavors. There's a faint corn-like sweetness and a big carbonation, while the bitterness comes in on the finish bring a bit of booziness and leaving a bit of dryness and juiciness.

There are beers out there that, no matter how bad, still leave you with the impressions of your first few years drinking, forming friendships that last a lifetime yada yada blah blah. For some people, its Bud. Could be PBR. I don't give a shit. For me, it's Stag. This is a matter of hometown pride, and this beer can't get any better.

TheWhiskerReview, Dec 31, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +60.5%

I have had this beer many, many times, and I am going to review it for what it is - probably the best macro or adjunct lager you will ever find. I have had it on tap, from can, and from bottle. Tap is definitely the best, although none are bad. This beer is unbeatable for drinking with any outdoor activity or during hot weather. It's also very inexpensive, with a case running $11-12. It's a simple, straightforward, easy drinking beer that's great for any purpose other than connoisseur-like critiquing.

A - Pale golden, standard lager color. Not much head, what there is fades pretty quickly.

S - It's a little grainy with a tinge of hops - the aroma is not overpowering at all.

T - Standard lager, somewhat robust but very dry. Almost no aftertaste. Smooth, with no offensive flavors.

M - Crisp and light, without being weak or transparent...as the style should be.

D - In my opinion, there is no beer with better drinkability than Stag. It's refreshing, tastes great, and leaves you feeling fine the next day.

PTB25, Apr 22, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +50.5%

ironstein, Aug 16, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +49.5%

I used to think this beer was a joke, until drinking it at the bowling alley. I tried it along with budweiser, and realized it was much much better. usually I like the craft beers,but this beer holds its own. Its also one of the cheapest.

I poured it into a pilsner glass from a bottle. It had a 1 finger head that dissapeared after about 25 seconds leaving nearly no trace on the edge.

the smell at first was very distintive, a slightly fermented apple smell followed by an earthy grape. the smell only lasted the first min.

the taste is slightly fruity at first followed by seltzer with a pleasant very light tangy desert after taste

has a pleasant tingly feel especialy after (it goes down way too fast to notice during!!)

excelent drinkablity sometimes even quenching

jake2112, Jun 05, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +46.5%

A really good beer but nothing fancy. It's a thirst quencher perfect for hot days or for watching a game. Beer snobs may not appreciate it but I'd be willing to bet that in a blind test against other lagers it would do quite well. It's shame it's only available in three states these days - MO, IL, and AR. Closest place I can it is in Joplin, MO so I always bring a case back when go through there to see relatives.

samj, Dec 30, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +42.1%

ajs4bd, Oct 23, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +37.1%

Tried this on tap at a dive-ish bar in Edwardsville, IL. After learning that we had never tried it before, the waitress warned us it is "an acquired taste." We daringly proceeded.

Served in a frosted glass, this beer resembled any other macro lager though the bartender thankfully put a little head on the beer.

I was curious to learn just what this "acquired taste" was... I mean, we're not talking a Rauchbier or a sour here. How acquired can a macro lager be? One whiff of the nose told me what it was: sulfur. Whatever lager yeast they use is quite sulfury, particularly for a macro lager. Personally, I enjoy a slight sulfur bite out of my lagers, and any character from a macro is welcomed by me.

The taste confirmed the smell. It was quite clean up front, with some malt flavor but slightly watered down in the grand tradition of the macro lager. I didn't really pick up any adjuncts, but at the same time it was pretty cold. I did notice a nice malt presence for an adjunct lager and, again, a slight sulfury bite which gave it a nice mineral edge. It almost reminded me of a watered down Dortmunder.

While it had just enough hops to keep it from being sweet, it had a wonderfully smooth finish. You know how most macros leave that slightly skunky bitter taste in your mouth? This one was nice and clean. Between the slight sulfur character and the crisp finish, I found this to really stand out from most macros. Sadly, I've never seen it here in Chicago. However, along with Schlitz Gusto, I think this is a great example of how adjunct lagers don't have to suck. I'm not saying they'll compete with a Bamberger Kellerbier or anything, but this would be infinitely more refreshing after a softball game than a Bud Select or a Miller Lite.

Windigstadt, May 08, 2009

mac10thmtn, Jan 11, 2013

CCRaise, Aug 05, 2012

EvanWilliams, Sep 09, 2012

BurnMeInMyBar, Apr 10, 2013

TrojanWheels, Jan 21, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +33.1%

A- Very pale, very clear beer. Three inch white fizzy head with quite a bit of effervescence. Hey, there's even some lacing and a little head retention.

S- Smells "clean".

T- Crisp, clean...no off putting flavors. Hint of pale malt sweetness...hops are hard to find.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Mid to low carbonation.

D/O- Damn, this is easily the best AAL I've ever had. Nothing offensive, just easy drinking. I'd take this any day over the common lager swill that's everywhere. Graded to style.

Duff27, Jul 12, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +26.4%

I traveled to the wonderful city of St. Louis over the 4th of July weekend for a wedding and upon arriving me and some buddies decided to hit up a gas station in search of some local brews. We found this incredible gem for only $7 a 12 pack. You can even get a 4 pack of tallboys for only $2.97.

Needless to say this became the beer of the weekend and a hit at the bachelor party. It doesn't try to be anything more than it needs to be. A simple label that describes just what this is: Beer.

Tuck_leepulin, Aug 02, 2014

heerboth, Jan 19, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +25.4%

For Me this beer is a blast from the past. Stag dissappered from our area about 30 years ago. Found it on a recent road trip to the STL MO. area; just had to buy some and bring it home. I found that it pours with small head of foam that rapidly dissappers. Goes down real good and seems be a great thirst quencher; something that would be great to enjoy after a hot afternoon of yard work or ect. It does have a slight metallic taste that lingers but not unlike that I have experianced in other like beers. Would love to try Stag in a bottle Over-all I enjoyed the case I brought home and look forward to my next trip to STL.MO. I will indeed buy more.

dmowen, Mar 13, 2005

pjbfromkc, Jun 24, 2014
3.73/5  rDev +24.7%

Stag has a thick, white head and a very clear, yellow to golden color. Carbonation is very high. Aroma is faint, but typical for an American-style adjunct lager. The taste is nice, with a tad more hop character than one normally gets with these types of beers. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Stag finishes crisp and refreshing. Overall, this is a good, solid lager, and I recommend giving it a try. It is not sold in Louisiana.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Jul 24, 2010
3.71/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had this in a bottle, poured into a pilsner glass awhile back and enjoyed it.

Stag used to have a bad reputation around these parts when I was a kid. But I needed a cheap lawnmower beer, and this caught my eye. Glad it did !!!

Appearance is exactly what you expect from an AAL. Pale yellow, with little lacing on my glass.

Smell was not as offensive as most AALs. Lacked the chemical smell, for one. Pleasant.

Suprisingly fresh taste. Not as corny as PBR or Schlitz. Nice finish, as long as it stayed cool. Very clean for the style.

Mouthfeel fits the style. Not too fizzy. Not too slick. It didn't get lost in the carbonation like so many other AALs. Bud comes to mind... By the time the fizz leaves, there's nothing left to enjoy.

Over all, this and PBR make the top of my lawnmower list. Not my favorite by any means, but when rated to style, it holds its own very well. $7.00 for 12 bottles doesn't hurt much either !!!!

Jimshappyfridge, Apr 12, 2014
3.7/5  rDev +23.7%

A friend from work brought this back for me from Nashville, Illinois as he said it was one of the best american macros he'd had. I eagerly went home ahd put the 12-pk of stag in my fridge.

apperanace = drank from a bottle but I'm imagining it's the typical pale color with heavy carbonation

smell = very pleasant with a little bit og hops aroma

taste = surprisingly crisp and refreshing with some definite hops undertones. very inoffensive and very similar to pbr and lone star

mouthfeel = somwhere between light bodied and medium bodied

drinkability = very high. this beer goes down easy and isn't too filling. also, I drank one of these before it was very cold and it was still very drinkable. In my opinion that speaks well of any beer.

xduderx, Jun 09, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +23.7%

A: On tap, in a mug. In a dive bar. Golden, yellow, fizzy macro-ish.

S: Corn, malts.

T: Follows smell. No aftertaste.

M: Light, not offensive. Needs to stay COLD.

D: Big time. Better than normal BMC. This brewery was located just a mile or so away, until they closed up in the 1980's. Back then, it was pretty much known a crap beer.

KI9A, May 03, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +23.7%

Can to glass stein that holds 24 ounces.

A - Appearance is a golden color like the can. Even says on the can Golden Quality since 1851. This has to be a champion.

S - Strange corn quality. And a unique bile smell. Im not knocking on it just saying what comes to the nostrils.

T - Wow. Taste nothing like the smell. Its bubbly and watery. But it doesnt have any after taste, or any weird burping or belching effects like some really high carbonated beers. Surprized to say the least. Im glad I reviewed it and that the PBR I was looking for was gone.

M - Like I said. Medium carbonation. Watery. Thin. As expected.

D - Extremely high. Im thinking im going to quit drinking water. Just drink stag from now on. Plus I like the way the cans look sitting in random flat surfaces around my house.

****
Final result. Its easy to drink. Its cheap. And its an alternative to the other beers in its class. PBR is a new favorite of mine stacking in at under $12 bucks a case. Same goes for Stag.

I know now that PBR and Stag are new "Utility" beers as stated by another advocate member and I fully agree.

This beer gets what is deserved. Not because its a great tasting or unique beer. It does what its intended for. College beer if you will.

I will buy it again.

Clockwork420, Feb 01, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +23.1%

A-pale straw yellow with thin white head and no lacing

S-hardly a trace of anything,just a tiny hint of grassy hops

T-grains and malts upfront with good hops not far behind,nice blend of sweetness(not sugary)and earthy dry goodness

M-a bit thin,but good body for a light macro(diabetics beer of choice"as sugar free as beer can be")

D-I will choose this over a BMC anyday

orangemoustache, Apr 01, 2008