Stag - Pabst Brewing Company

American Adjunct Lager |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: winomark on 11-02-2003

Ratings: 150 | Reviews: 62
3.25/5  rDev +9.4%

This is my favorite cheap beer. This beer actually has some character to its flavor, unlike most other cheap piss beers. It looks a lot like them, but it has a little more of a hoppy smell and taste than beers like Budweiser.Great ice cold on a hot day.

3.27/5  rDev +10.1%

Thanks to resi for the trade.Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some corn. Taste is good, sweet, malts and corn, considerable bitterness for an adjunct lager. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a decent beer.

3.5/5  rDev +17.8%

This beer brings back memories of living in St. Louis in my younger years with my dad having some Stag in the fridge most of the time. I used to consider Stag as a lower class or trashy bitter beer. My palate has certainly changed since then.

My can of Stag poured a lemony yellow into my pint glass with a big 1 inch white head that quicky left. Lots of carbonation in this one.

Not a lot of smell which is a plus for me in an adjunct lager. Maybe a faint whiff of corn or cereal grains. The taste is dominated by corn and some hops bringing a crisp dry flavor. Maybe a touch of alcohol as well. I do like this better than BMC.

It has a typical thin mouthfeel but this is refreshing when cold and goes down easy. And at $7 for a 12 pack (even cheaper on sale) this makes for a good cheap beer to have on these hot summer days. The distribution is rather limited so I will have to buy some more Stag the next time I am in the St. Louis area.

2.94/5  rDev -1%

I had this beer at a 4th of July fest, and thought it was decent for the style. Today I partake in this buck of a beer.

I poured this in a half liter dimple glass. Pours good for a bright white fluffy pillow head that dissipates very quickly. The body is pale gold in color and is cleanly filtered.

In the aroma there is a faint hint of cereal grain and mainly corn.

Taste wise it is mostly corn husk with a lightened rice finish.

Mouth feel is crisp, clean, and refreshing. This is a decent lawn mower beer, or something to guzzle while out camping or bbqing.

3.68/5  rDev +23.9%

Stag has a thick, white head and a very clear, yellow to golden color. Carbonation is very high. Aroma is faint, but typical for an American-style adjunct lager. The taste is nice, with a tad more hop character than one normally gets with these types of beers. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Stag finishes crisp and refreshing. Overall, this is a good, solid lager, and I recommend giving it a try. It is not sold in Louisiana.

RJT

2.93/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance: Pours out a clean, thin-looking, yellow body with a wispy, equally thin-looking, white head.

Smell: Faint aroma smelling only lightly of exceptionally pale malts and spicy hops. Again, it's all quite mild, mind you.

Taste: Lightly sweet, lightly watery cereal grains with a bit of grainy astringency to it. Fairly light hop presence with no more than a hint of bitterness. Finishes dry with a little snap of crisp carbonation.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: A simple, inoffensive lager, no more no less. Basic but sufficient, I suppose.

3.28/5  rDev +10.4%

12 oz. can poured into a pint glass.

A: Light golden, with a thick, white, fizzy head that lingered for a brief while.

S: Corn and light hops... not much else.

T: Again, corn and light hops. It was a little more noticeable in taste than smell, though. Not bad. No aftertaste like many adjuncts normally leave behind.

M: So long as it's cold, the mouthfeel is light, not sticking out or offending.

D: Great for casual situations. The lack of an aftertaste makes this a beer of choice when I'm going for something standard.

Affordability is a major plus with this beer. 12 packs are $5.50 in St. Louis, Missouri. Overall a solid, easy-drinking beer and a good alternative when the bank is tight.

3.38/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours clear pale yellowish gold with a big 2 finger head that left spotted lacing down the glass

smells of sweet cereal/corn and light grassy hops

taste is ok - sweet corn/cereal some hops some sulfur

mouthfeel is a little watery but who cares it tastes good - nice and crisp dry finish - maybe a bit over carbonated

drinkability is ok- this will now be my cheap brew staple in my fridge

4.1/5  rDev +38%

Tried this on tap at a dive-ish bar in Edwardsville, IL. After learning that we had never tried it before, the waitress warned us it is "an acquired taste." We daringly proceeded.

Served in a frosted glass, this beer resembled any other macro lager though the bartender thankfully put a little head on the beer.

I was curious to learn just what this "acquired taste" was... I mean, we're not talking a Rauchbier or a sour here. How acquired can a macro lager be? One whiff of the nose told me what it was: sulfur. Whatever lager yeast they use is quite sulfury, particularly for a macro lager. Personally, I enjoy a slight sulfur bite out of my lagers, and any character from a macro is welcomed by me.

The taste confirmed the smell. It was quite clean up front, with some malt flavor but slightly watered down in the grand tradition of the macro lager. I didn't really pick up any adjuncts, but at the same time it was pretty cold. I did notice a nice malt presence for an adjunct lager and, again, a slight sulfury bite which gave it a nice mineral edge. It almost reminded me of a watered down Dortmunder.

While it had just enough hops to keep it from being sweet, it had a wonderfully smooth finish. You know how most macros leave that slightly skunky bitter taste in your mouth? This one was nice and clean. Between the slight sulfur character and the crisp finish, I found this to really stand out from most macros. Sadly, I've never seen it here in Chicago. However, along with Schlitz Gusto, I think this is a great example of how adjunct lagers don't have to suck. I'm not saying they'll compete with a Bamberger Kellerbier or anything, but this would be infinitely more refreshing after a softball game than a Bud Select or a Miller Lite.

3.65/5  rDev +22.9%

A: On tap, in a mug. In a dive bar. Golden, yellow, fizzy macro-ish.

S: Corn, malts.

T: Follows smell. No aftertaste.

M: Light, not offensive. Needs to stay COLD.

D: Big time. Better than normal BMC. This brewery was located just a mile or so away, until they closed up in the 1980's. Back then, it was pretty much known a crap beer.

4.76/5  rDev +60.3%

I have had this beer many, many times, and I am going to review it for what it is - probably the best macro or adjunct lager you will ever find. I have had it on tap, from can, and from bottle. Tap is definitely the best, although none are bad. This beer is unbeatable for drinking with any outdoor activity or during hot weather. It's also very inexpensive, with a case running $11-12. It's a simple, straightforward, easy drinking beer that's great for any purpose other than connoisseur-like critiquing.

A - Pale golden, standard lager color. Not much head, what there is fades pretty quickly.

S - It's a little grainy with a tinge of hops - the aroma is not overpowering at all.

T - Standard lager, somewhat robust but very dry. Almost no aftertaste. Smooth, with no offensive flavors.

M - Crisp and light, without being weak or transparent...as the style should be.

D - In my opinion, there is no beer with better drinkability than Stag. It's refreshing, tastes great, and leaves you feeling fine the next day.

3.08/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my New Belgium globe. This beer pours a crystal clear pale straw with just a slight, wispy white head. The aroma is cereal grain, a bit of corn, and just a bit of pale malt. The flavor is very similar. It starts out with cornflakes, moves into just a slight maltiness, and finishes with just a hint of sulfur. There is very little hop presence to it. The most surprising thing about it is the mouthfeel isn't as nearly as dry as it is in the can. This is one of the most drinkable macro lagers there is. There isn't much flavor but there also isn't much wrong with it either.

3.62/5  rDev +21.9%

Can to glass stein that holds 24 ounces.

A - Appearance is a golden color like the can. Even says on the can Golden Quality since 1851. This has to be a champion.

S - Strange corn quality. And a unique bile smell. Im not knocking on it just saying what comes to the nostrils.

T - Wow. Taste nothing like the smell. Its bubbly and watery. But it doesnt have any after taste, or any weird burping or belching effects like some really high carbonated beers. Surprized to say the least. Im glad I reviewed it and that the PBR I was looking for was gone.

M - Like I said. Medium carbonation. Watery. Thin. As expected.

D - Extremely high. Im thinking im going to quit drinking water. Just drink stag from now on. Plus I like the way the cans look sitting in random flat surfaces around my house.

****
Final result. Its easy to drink. Its cheap. And its an alternative to the other beers in its class. PBR is a new favorite of mine stacking in at under $12 bucks a case. Same goes for Stag.

I know now that PBR and Stag are new "Utility" beers as stated by another advocate member and I fully agree.

This beer gets what is deserved. Not because its a great tasting or unique beer. It does what its intended for. College beer if you will.

I will buy it again.

3.25/5  rDev +9.4%

When I moved to Missouri for law school I needed to find a cheap everyday beer other than Bud and I found Stag. The color is light and pale, and it doesn't really taste like much, but it easy to drink and tastes like beer. It is what it is, a cheap utility beer and I am thankful I found it.

2.18/5  rDev -26.6%

Pours a clear, pale yellow. Short head with slight retention and little to no lacing. Smells of adjunct in a lager. Fits the style. A crisp body with a dryness to the aftertaste. Low carbonation and tastes of adjunct in lager. Overall, not a real good beer.

3.07/5  rDev +3.4%

12oz can received from hwwty4 in the Good, the Bad and the Ugly BIF. Against his orders, this one's going into my Stone pint glass. This was the Bad

A: So light it may as well be water! Incredible! Light golden yellow with a ton of carbonation and a fleeting white head. Lace? Bah!

S: Mild hop aroma with some grassy notes. Mild biscuit malt aroma. Metallic

T: Starts off faintly hoppy with a grassy character followed by a mild sweetness, not unlike corn. Surprisingly clean with little in the way of buttery aromas. Finishes dry and metallic

M: Light and crisp with tons of carbonation, solid finish with a faint hint of hops to go with the metallic goodness.

D: This is surprisingly easy to drink for what it is! Thanks for sending two, Bill!

3.2/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

while on my trip to KC i found this at a convenience store. i bought a sixer and put it in the fridge when i got home. i tried two yesterday and i was pleasantly surprised. poured pale color in the glass with about one half inch of head. the carbonation was steady. the head dissapated to a film. smelled of light grain. flavor was decent and certainly thirst quenching with decent dry finish. this is a pretty decent summer beer.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

3.28/5  rDev +10.4%

I've seen old Stag signs still hanging above taverns in central IL, and they piqued my curiosity. This bottle was left over from last Labor Day, languishing in the back of my fridge all this time.

Poured this into a cylindrical stange glass, usually used for German lager like Kolsch. Ice cold. Super pale gold, almost a pastel canary yellow in the right light, with 2 fingers of foam that disappear quick. Thin collar of lacing.

Mild apple and grain aroma, a little sulfuric at first. Vague sweet corn later. Papery dry malt flavor, seltzery feel with a little astringent with a carbonic bite of CO2. Dry finish with a bland aftertaste, but not terrible. On a hot day, a couple at 45º would hit the spot. Cheers to BA jpm30 and Forgottonia...

3.33/5  rDev +12.1%

as sugar free as beer can be, stag around here is still viewed as a lowely poor mans beer, but isn't bad. has a decent dark lager color with an average smell. above average taste, for a macro lager. it is a decent go to beer. and being as cheap as it is, a real bargain

4.45/5  rDev +49.8%

I used to think this beer was a joke, until drinking it at the bowling alley. I tried it along with budweiser, and realized it was much much better. usually I like the craft beers,but this beer holds its own. Its also one of the cheapest.

I poured it into a pilsner glass from a bottle. It had a 1 finger head that dissapeared after about 25 seconds leaving nearly no trace on the edge.

the smell at first was very distintive, a slightly fermented apple smell followed by an earthy grape. the smell only lasted the first min.

the taste is slightly fruity at first followed by seltzer with a pleasant very light tangy desert after taste

has a pleasant tingly feel especialy after (it goes down way too fast to notice during!!)

excelent drinkablity sometimes even quenching

3.63/5  rDev +22.2%

A-pale straw yellow with thin white head and no lacing

S-hardly a trace of anything,just a tiny hint of grassy hops

T-grains and malts upfront with good hops not far behind,nice blend of sweetness(not sugary)and earthy dry goodness

M-a bit thin,but good body for a light macro(diabetics beer of choice"as sugar free as beer can be")

D-I will choose this over a BMC anyday

3.1/5  rDev +4.4%

I mainly bought this, because...well...I can now say that I have had Stag from the can. I have always wondered what it would be like to drink in the 70's. Plus, at roughly $.52 a can, you really can't go wrong.

A: Pale, pale, oh so pale. One of the palest brews I have come across. Bubbles floated from the bottom of the glass almost through the entire 12 oz.

S: Nothing. There is nothing there. Taking a deep smell right next to the glass reveals absolutely nothing.

T: Honestly, it's not bad. I was expecting something loaded with either corn or sugar, but there's none of that here. A touch of hops in the back with a slightly bitter ending.

M: Very thin, feels like a light beer, but without all the carbonation.

D: Easy, easy, easy. The glass disappeared, almost into thin air.

3.4/5  rDev +14.5%

This was first brewed in my hometown of Belleville, Illinois i live right close to the old brewery. This stuff is decent it's not as watered down as most mass produced macro lagers. Appearance is yellowish hue smells sorta like corn with a very very little hop presence. More taste then you would expect. No sugar at all The Diabetic Beer! It goes down pretty smooth no bad after taste. It isn't the best beer in the world but its worth a try its not hard to go down so very easy to drink a couple. STAG ! GOLDEN Quality.

3.07/5  rDev +3.4%

I had a friend who is from outside Peoria, IL pick me up a 12-pack of Stag for a laugh. I was expecting a horrid, cooked-corn low-end macro, but was pleasantly surprised.

I drank this out of the can, naturally, accompanying an Italian beef-and-sausage combo, so I can't accurately gauge the appearance. The smell was inoffensive and lacked the sticky-sweet corn aroma of so many other low-end beers (ahem, Utica Club, I'm thinking of you . . .). Taste was refreshing, malty and well-balanced, if a little thin. This fits every "lawnmower beer" stereotype you can think of; it's cheap, quenches a thirst, and has a damn deer on the can . . . what else do you need?

1.95/5  rDev -34.3%

A - as clear as yellow can be, with only thin the cirrus-esque wispy remnants of what could've been head, the carbonation is as scarce as the head, but present

S - the malty sweetness i'd epxect from a macro lager, uncomplex and basic, yet a stately simplicity

T - definitely among the unworst american macro lager, a quality malt big up front flavor, sweet almost appley, then...wait a minute....is that?...it is?....real hops in the back of the sip

M&D - smooth and easy down when cold, almost sickly sweet though, i could definitely see drinking this on the porch with my father, despite the cans 1970's nostalgia

Stag from Pabst Brewing Company