Lone Star Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.65% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 10-19-2001

- Lone Star Beer uses the finest hops from the Pacific Northwest with hearty grains from the Central and Northern Plains. Malted barley and corn extract combine to provide Lone Star with nature's finest ingredients for brewing. Lone Star's ingredients give this beer its full natural flavor. The choicest hops lend complexity and aroma to this beer, and its proprietary mashing regimen creates the perfect balance of alcohol, body, and character.
- ABV% 4.65
- Calories 136
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lone Star Beer Alström Bros
2.82/5  rDev +11%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I will start by saying I'm a Hefe, Bock, and Porter guy. Hefe's being my go to, and I grew up on Shiner Bock. I am not a snob when it comes to my beer, or what another person likes or prefers. You will get no judgement from me. Everyone has their taste and budget. Now, that said, Lone Star is a good drinking beer for these hot summer days in Texas. It carries a better taste than most of the other "American" beers and has a refreshing, clean finish. Lone Star is my go to "Economy Beer" for those hot afternoons and evenings after a long day of working outside at my ranch. It has a decent alcohol content and a balanced flavor...not too bitter. A friend (bar owner) turned me back on to Line Star a few years back, and I've been stocking Lone Star in my fridge at my ranch ever since. When I have guests, they always go to the Lone Star over all the other beers and liquor I have.

There is a way I sometimes drink it that adds a little more refreshment...some call it a "Redneck Bloody Mary", others may say it's a "Chelada". I make my Bloody Mary mix and mix it in a tall glass with Lone Star. Sometimes I get lazy and buy Zing Zang BM Mix. I will even mix up a sixer in a jug and take it with me fishing around the ponds. Not a bad way to kick back and enjoy the late Deep East Texas afternoon after a hard days work. No shame in enjoying a decent "Economy Beer". (1,371 characters)

2.77/5  rDev +9.1%

Say what you want. It's exactly what it claims. A decent honest adjunct beer. I drink lonestar far more than i would like to admit. It's cheap, tasty when cold, and gets the job done in the killer Texas sun. Next to a well crafted beer of just about any style, yes, it falls short. But I almost religiously take a 6er of tall boys with me anytime I play disc golf, fish, hunt, or do anything outside. Its been my go to cheap beer for years and you will be hard pressed to convince me otherwise. (495 characters)

3.31/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A surprisingly drinkable beer from the Lone Star State. One could easily knock down a six-pack in a sitting without batting an eye. All my exes are from Texas. (159 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pilsner glass.

Appearance: pours a thick foamy white head that drops slowly with some mild lacing. Color is pale straw with abundant streaming carbonation.
Aroma: mild aroma of corn and a bit of lightly toasted malt.
Mouthfeel: light, crisp with a refreshing dry finish.
Flavor: corn sweetness dominates with the barley sweetness taking a back seat and just a hint of hop presence.
Overall: pedestrian but not offensive. A good lawnmower beer. (475 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -15.7%

Gave it a 2.5 based on nostalgia only. Probably a 2.0 beer. Nothing at all stands out. Kinda musty, almost spoiled tasting. It's like buying Ocean Pacific brand at Walmart. Not real. You are paying for the label only. (218 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -29.1%

Lets not kid anybody. This isn't very good beer. It used to be back in the early 70's but a lot of things have changed since then. When I can find it, and that's not very often, I drink it because of the nostalgia effect. I put on some Jerry Jeff , close my eyes and imagine myself 40 years younger driving my 56 Chevy Sedan Delivery around Texas listening to AM radio and going into Austin on occasion to hear some good music at the Armadillo. For that alone its worth the price and the hangover. (497 characters)

1.37/5  rDev -46.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Piss beer, I had to try just because. PBR bottled with a different label. This is the kind of beer my grandpa might have liked In boot camp back in the 40s. That being said, it's easy drinking for guys that don't require much out of their brew. (244 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +93.7%

For a basic, go-to American-style lager, Lone Star stands alone at the top of the list. Easily drinkable with a good taste and mouthfeel that pairs perfectly with brisket, steak, hunting, tailgating, etc. Lone Star won't be found at the top of most beer snobs' lists, but it remains an excellent American-style lager and holds a proud place as a staple of this Texan's fridge. (376 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

OK, first this is supposed to be the state beer of Texas but it's made in California? My first sip and I seriously thought this was diluted with water. Very weak. Take your average beer and then mix it 50/50 with water and there you have it: Lone Star beer. I could not even finish 1/4 of the bottle and not wanting the waitress to get offended, I poured most of it on my 12 dozen finished oyster shells and leftover bread to look like I at least drank most of it. Would I drink this if there was nothing else? Sure, but this stuff is not really good at all. (558 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +20.1%

Out of all the readily available adjucts out there, I find this one to be the least offensive to the senses. I'm rating this on style, not personal preference. But actually, I wouldn't turn one down if offered. If I go to Lonestar steakhouse for dinner, that's usually what I order. Even though I'm a beer snob, I still have a soft spot for an easy drinking american lager. This one fits the bill perfectly. Way underrated. And millions of Texans can't be wrong. (462 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +67.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Punk Rock Girls & Lone Star Beer!
I like this beer. It was never really available for me when I was younger since I was not living near Texas, at all. But I have grown to drink and love it. It's cheap which is so awesome. It's refreshing which is so awesome, again. It's great to drink all night and all day which is the best awesome. I get it when I can find it. I enjoy it when I get it. Lone Star is a Super Star beer! (421 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -16.5%

Appearance: Red, white, and gold aluminum can.

Smell: Musty and beige. No interesting olfactory notes.

Taste: I finally figured out what that sweet Lone Star aftertaste reminded me of- those awful orange marshmallow "peanuts" we ate as kids. It also leaves an unpleasant stale residue in your mouth after a couple of cans.

Mouthfeel: Loose, watery, elevated CO2.

Overall: On the positive side, it is cheap and no worse than other mass produced beers. The excessive sweetness can amplify the hangover. If you're visiting in Texas go for a Shiner instead. (559 characters)

Sampled tonight on 4/28/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a light/medium straw yellow in color with about a half of a finger white fizzy head that settles down quickly to just the sides of the glass. Some spotty lacing is seen. The aroma is of some basic grains. Nothing special really. The taste is about the same with a hint of sweet corn with a slight tart finish. Above average carbonation. Drinkable, but once again nothing really special. (508 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +85%

Served in a can. Consumed from said can.

I was being grilled by a couple of company men, and I decided to at least get a beer run out of it. Finally, the sixer of tall boys was placed in front of me. These brews are best enjoyed in dreams that happen in a locked box inside of your head.

Lone Star may also be enjoyed alongside one Reginald Ledoux, on your porch in Carcosa, or in pursuit of the King in Yellow.

Be warned - at the end of every sixer, there's a monster. (472 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

A: The beer is clear light straw yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high bright white head that died down, leaving a thin head covering the surface and a coating of bubbles down the sides of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of adjunct malts are present in the nose—corn and rice seem to stand out in particular.
T: Flavors of corn adjuncts stand out in the overall taste and lend slight amount of sweetness.
M: It feels light-bodied and a little watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer seems to have a lot more drinkability compared to other adjunct lagers as it doesn't have any "off" flavors or skunk in the taste. (711 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +35%

Drank from a 12 fl oz. (355 ml) bottle purchased at Hillside Wine & Spirits, Medford, MA
Aug0513
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a crystal clear, deep golden yellow. A frothy, bright white, one-finger crown topped the liquid, but it quickly fell to a thin ring. Tiny streaks of lacing trickled down the glass.

Dry, powdery, lager yeast notes dominated the aroma. Grainy with mild adjunct notes. Pretty ordinary and fairly non-descript, but decently clean and crisp.

Pale malts and cereal grains were noticeable in the flavor profile. Lemony, wheaty and somewhat tart in the center. A hint of grassy hops appeared in the crisp, dry finish. Overall, surprisingly tasty for the style.

The mouthfeel was solid. Medium bodied. Smooth, creamy and fluffy with a lively, finely beaded effervescence.

Lone Star Beer is a refreshing and relatively flavorful American adjunct lager. All in all, definitely a notch or two better than most beers of this style. (959 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -35.4%

I mean...it is what it is. Had this at Atlantic Beer Garden in Boston. It's got a sweet but musty smell to it. A little dull. This hails as the "National Beer of Texas". Come on Texas, you can do better than that! I'd probably rather go with a PBR if this is the genre of beer that is called for. (296 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured almost a finger of head on a light straw colored body.
The aroma is an unattractive metallic and vomit smell.
The taste has a bitter and sweet note with a lot of metallic overtones.
The texture is crisp with a high carbonation.
Avoid this beer. (251 characters)

2.85/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I had never had this one before and it is not available where I live, but on a trip through an adjacent state I stopped to pick up a few beers when I noticed this store had six packs of this stuff. I had listened to Texas musicians and others praise this stuff for so long I had made it a point to try at some time in my life, I did not realize it would be yesterday. Sometimes when you are not looking for something it just appears. Anyway, this beer was alright nothing to sing about, even though people have. This is more a novelty to me, but overall had it been the middle of summer and I was going to listen to some Texas troubadour sing about it it would fit the bill rather well. Anyway to the review, it smelled sweet and grainy and when I poured it in the glass it was a very pale yellow, almost colorless really. The taste did have a bite to it that I wasn't expecting but overall not bad, I could see myself drinking a few of these on a hot summer day while grilling out and listening to some good tunes. Like I said before it is what it is but Lone Star had a certain appeal which precipitated the purchase. (1,119 characters)

2.97/5  rDev +16.9%

A Poured a clear light straw yellow color with low carbonation for the style, a small white head which fades fast leaving some minute white bubbles and almost no lacing

S: Grains, cooked coen and floral notes

T: Initial grain, corn like taste with some light sweetness, hint of sulfur peaks as does some some light floral notes and finishes rather dry, light, sordove sweet an lightly bitter

M: Light bodied, well carbonated, bitterness stays on the palate for a bit

O: Average. I have not had this in a looong time. Glad to see an old friend. (547 characters)

2.8/5  rDev +10.2%

Served in an Ohio State shaker pint glass.

Watching some live Spelunky action and downing some beers. Good times. This stuff pours a clear pale straw topped by a finger of relatively short-lived white foam. The nose comprises lightly-funky wheat, light hard water, and very light flowers. The taste brings in more of the same, along with some extra minerals in the water. The body is pretty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, your basic, non-light adjunct lager. Not much to see (or taste) here, folks. (537 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -5.5%

Clear and pale yellow, lots of fizz, not much head or lace.

Aroma is lightly sweet with notes of corn and not a lot else.

Taste is slightly sweet, with corn notes and just barely enough hops to detect. About what you'd expect from an adjunct lager.

Mouthfeel is fizzy and light bodied.

Overall it's not something I'd recommend unless maybe you're scrounging for quarters out of the back of your pickup truck. (413 characters)

2.66/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Served in a bottle at Rudy's Country BBQ in Austin, TX

A: Pours a crystal clear pale to medium yellow in color with moderate amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a finger tall foamy bright white head that quickly fades to a small patch of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass.

S: The smell of this beer is almost non-existent... very light notes of corn adjunct malt sweetness.

T: Moderate to strong flavors of adjunct malts (corn and grain) but not unpleasant - there is a light amount of sweetness.

M: Just heavier than light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery but crisp.

O: Easy to drink and pairs relatively well with the smokey flavors and spices of BBQ. Could definitely be sessionable but would not be my first choice beer for it... (812 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks to xpimptastikx for sending me the "National Beer of Texas". Can with best before date of November 26th, 2012. Served in a pilsner glass.

A - A couple fingers of white foam with surprisingly decent retention. Head settles to a thick, creamy, cap, with splotchy lace. Transparent urine yellow body, with fast-moving bubbles visible.

S - Cereal grains, metal, rice, a mild vegetal note, and perhaps a hint of lemony hop.

T - The taste is mostly grain and bread, with perhaps a touch of corn sweetness late on the palate. Fairly inoffensive when cold, but unsurprisingly gets worse as it warms up with more creamed corn and cooked veggies.

M - Harsh carbonation, grainy texture, and a fairly dry, crisp finish. Somewhat watery, light body, with no obvious alcohol presence.

D - It's an adjunct lager, and it doesn't really do much to differentiate itself from its competitors. I was able to finish the 12oz can thanks to the relative dearth of flavor, light body, and minimal alcohol, but it's not an experience I'm dying to repeat. (1,041 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -18.9%

Obtained as a leftover at the office. 12oz bottle with what I'm assuming is an expiration date of 4/10/11, based on Pabst bottle dating. So, on to the "National Beer of Texas". Poured into a pilsner glass.

A: Light yellow. As close to transparent without being water. White fluffy head that stays around for a few and leaves some sticky lacing down the glass.

S: Barely anything going on here. Touch of husky grain. A bit sweet.

T: Follows the nose exactly. Guess any hops have faded after one year of "aging".

O: Guess it's not totally fair since I tried an expired bottle. After trying 100+ Texas beers, I would say this beats Shiner's Ruby Redbird and that's about it. Well worth the money I spent. (705 characters)

Lone Star Beer from Pabst Brewing Company