Lone Star Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.65% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 10-19-2001

- Lone Star Beer uses the finest hops from the Pacific Northwest with hearty grains from the Central and Northern Plains. Malted barley and corn extract combine to provide Lone Star with nature's finest ingredients for brewing. Lone Star's ingredients give this beer its full natural flavor. The choicest hops lend complexity and aroma to this beer, and its proprietary mashing regimen creates the perfect balance of alcohol, body, and character.
- ABV% 4.65
- Calories 136
to view more.
Ratings: 650 | Reviews: 210
3.25/5  rDev +32.1%

I didn't think it was awful. A decent beer sitting out on patio in Texas.

2.53/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pilsner glass.

Appearance: pours a thick foamy white head that drops slowly with some mild lacing. Color is pale straw with abundant streaming carbonation.
Aroma: mild aroma of corn and a bit of lightly toasted malt.
Mouthfeel: light, crisp with a refreshing dry finish.
Flavor: corn sweetness dominates with the barley sweetness taking a back seat and just a hint of hop presence.
Overall: pedestrian but not offensive. A good lawnmower beer.

2.14/5  rDev -13%

Gave it a 2.5 based on nostalgia only. Probably a 2.0 beer. Nothing at all stands out. Kinda musty, almost spoiled tasting. It's like buying Ocean Pacific brand at Walmart. Not real. You are paying for the label only.

2.75/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pretty typical adjunct lager. Drink it fast because the off flavors show when it warms.

same crap different can, okay when free.

1.7/5  rDev -30.9%

Piss beer. Texan PBR trash.

1.8/5  rDev -26.8%

Lets not kid anybody. This isn't very good beer. It used to be back in the early 70's but a lot of things have changed since then. When I can find it, and that's not very often, I drink it because of the nostalgia effect. I put on some Jerry Jeff , close my eyes and imagine myself 40 years younger driving my 56 Chevy Sedan Delivery around Texas listening to AM radio and going into Austin on occasion to hear some good music at the Armadillo. For that alone its worth the price and the hangover.

1.72/5  rDev -30.1%

Lone Star, its name and also its rating

1.69/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Watery, corn flavor and aroma. Zero head, flat mouthfeel. Pretty bad.

3.13/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

The national beer if Texas, a sweet lager with a grassy finish.

1.37/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Piss beer, I had to try just because. PBR bottled with a different label. This is the kind of beer my grandpa might have liked In boot camp back in the 40s. That being said, it's easy drinking for guys that don't require much out of their brew.

4.92/5  rDev +100%

For a basic, go-to American-style lager, Lone Star stands alone at the top of the list. Easily drinkable with a good taste and mouthfeel that pairs perfectly with brisket, steak, hunting, tailgating, etc. Lone Star won't be found at the top of most beer snobs' lists, but it remains an excellent American-style lager and holds a proud place as a staple of this Texan's fridge.

3.08/5  rDev +25.2%

My friend brought this up from Texas for me. It was a very average beer. I'd rather drink it than Bud Light any day.

1.57/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

OK, first this is supposed to be the state beer of Texas but it's made in California? My first sip and I seriously thought this was diluted with water. Very weak. Take your average beer and then mix it 50/50 with water and there you have it: Lone Star beer. I could not even finish 1/4 of the bottle and not wanting the waitress to get offended, I poured most of it on my 12 dozen finished oyster shells and leftover bread to look like I at least drank most of it. Would I drink this if there was nothing else? Sure, but this stuff is not really good at all.

3.05/5  rDev +24%

Out of all the readily available adjucts out there, I find this one to be the least offensive to the senses. I'm rating this on style, not personal preference. But actually, I wouldn't turn one down if offered. If I go to Lonestar steakhouse for dinner, that's usually what I order. Even though I'm a beer snob, I still have a soft spot for an easy drinking american lager. This one fits the bill perfectly. Way underrated. And millions of Texans can't be wrong.

4.25/5  rDev +72.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Punk Rock Girls & Lone Star Beer!
I like this beer. It was never really available for me when I was younger since I was not living near Texas, at all. But I have grown to drink and love it. It's cheap which is so awesome. It's refreshing which is so awesome, again. It's great to drink all night and all day which is the best awesome. I get it when I can find it. I enjoy it when I get it. Lone Star is a Super Star beer!

2.12/5  rDev -13.8%

Appearance: Red, white, and gold aluminum can.

Smell: Musty and beige. No interesting olfactory notes.

Taste: I finally figured out what that sweet Lone Star aftertaste reminded me of- those awful orange marshmallow "peanuts" we ate as kids. It also leaves an unpleasant stale residue in your mouth after a couple of cans.

Mouthfeel: Loose, watery, elevated CO2.

Overall: On the positive side, it is cheap and no worse than other mass produced beers. The excessive sweetness can amplify the hangover. If you're visiting in Texas go for a Shiner instead.

Sampled tonight on 4/28/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a light/medium straw yellow in color with about a half of a finger white fizzy head that settles down quickly to just the sides of the glass. Some spotty lacing is seen. The aroma is of some basic grains. Nothing special really. The taste is about the same with a hint of sweet corn with a slight tart finish. Above average carbonation. Drinkable, but once again nothing really special.

4.7/5  rDev +91.1%

Served in a can. Consumed from said can.

I was being grilled by a couple of company men, and I decided to at least get a beer run out of it. Finally, the sixer of tall boys was placed in front of me. These brews are best enjoyed in dreams that happen in a locked box inside of your head.

Lone Star may also be enjoyed alongside one Reginald Ledoux, on your porch in Carcosa, or in pursuit of the King in Yellow.

Be warned - at the end of every sixer, there's a monster.

2.51/5  rDev +2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

A: The beer is clear light straw yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high bright white head that died down, leaving a thin head covering the surface and a coating of bubbles down the sides of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of adjunct malts are present in the nose—corn and rice seem to stand out in particular.
T: Flavors of corn adjuncts stand out in the overall taste and lend slight amount of sweetness.
M: It feels light-bodied and a little watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer seems to have a lot more drinkability compared to other adjunct lagers as it doesn't have any "off" flavors or skunk in the taste.

3.43/5  rDev +39.4%

Drank from a 12 fl oz. (355 ml) bottle purchased at Hillside Wine & Spirits, Medford, MA
Aug0513
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a crystal clear, deep golden yellow. A frothy, bright white, one-finger crown topped the liquid, but it quickly fell to a thin ring. Tiny streaks of lacing trickled down the glass.

Dry, powdery, lager yeast notes dominated the aroma. Grainy with mild adjunct notes. Pretty ordinary and fairly non-descript, but decently clean and crisp.

Pale malts and cereal grains were noticeable in the flavor profile. Lemony, wheaty and somewhat tart in the center. A hint of grassy hops appeared in the crisp, dry finish. Overall, surprisingly tasty for the style.

The mouthfeel was solid. Medium bodied. Smooth, creamy and fluffy with a lively, finely beaded effervescence.

Lone Star Beer is a refreshing and relatively flavorful American adjunct lager. All in all, definitely a notch or two better than most beers of this style.

1.64/5  rDev -33.3%

I mean...it is what it is. Had this at Atlantic Beer Garden in Boston. It's got a sweet but musty smell to it. A little dull. This hails as the "National Beer of Texas". Come on Texas, you can do better than that! I'd probably rather go with a PBR if this is the genre of beer that is called for.

1.84/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured almost a finger of head on a light straw colored body.
The aroma is an unattractive metallic and vomit smell.
The taste has a bitter and sweet note with a lot of metallic overtones.
The texture is crisp with a high carbonation.
Avoid this beer.

2.85/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I had never had this one before and it is not available where I live, but on a trip through an adjacent state I stopped to pick up a few beers when I noticed this store had six packs of this stuff. I had listened to Texas musicians and others praise this stuff for so long I had made it a point to try at some time in my life, I did not realize it would be yesterday. Sometimes when you are not looking for something it just appears. Anyway, this beer was alright nothing to sing about, even though people have. This is more a novelty to me, but overall had it been the middle of summer and I was going to listen to some Texas troubadour sing about it it would fit the bill rather well. Anyway to the review, it smelled sweet and grainy and when I poured it in the glass it was a very pale yellow, almost colorless really. The taste did have a bite to it that I wasn't expecting but overall not bad, I could see myself drinking a few of these on a hot summer day while grilling out and listening to some good tunes. Like I said before it is what it is but Lone Star had a certain appeal which precipitated the purchase.

2.97/5  rDev +20.7%

A Poured a clear light straw yellow color with low carbonation for the style, a small white head which fades fast leaving some minute white bubbles and almost no lacing

S: Grains, cooked coen and floral notes

T: Initial grain, corn like taste with some light sweetness, hint of sulfur peaks as does some some light floral notes and finishes rather dry, light, sordove sweet an lightly bitter

M: Light bodied, well carbonated, bitterness stays on the palate for a bit

O: Average. I have not had this in a looong time. Glad to see an old friend.

to view more.