Lone Star Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

Lone Star BeerLone Star Beer

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.65% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 10-19-2001

- Lone Star Beer uses the finest hops from the Pacific Northwest with hearty grains from the Central and Northern Plains. Malted barley and corn extract combine to provide Lone Star with nature's finest ingredients for brewing. Lone Star's ingredients give this beer its full natural flavor. The choicest hops lend complexity and aroma to this beer, and its proprietary mashing regimen creates the perfect balance of alcohol, body, and character.
- ABV% 4.65
- Calories 136
Reviews by JordanHageman:
4.5/5  rDev +81.5%

2.82/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I will start by saying I'm a Hefe, Bock, and Porter guy. Hefe's being my go to, and I grew up on Shiner Bock. I am not a snob when it comes to my beer, or what another person likes or prefers. You will get no judgement from me. Everyone has their taste and budget. Now, that said, Lone Star is a good drinking beer for these hot summer days in Texas. It carries a better taste than most of the other "American" beers and has a refreshing, clean finish. Lone Star is my go to "Economy Beer" for those hot afternoons and evenings after a long day of working outside at my ranch. It has a decent alcohol content and a balanced flavor...not too bitter. A friend (bar owner) turned me back on to Line Star a few years back, and I've been stocking Lone Star in my fridge at my ranch ever since. When I have guests, they always go to the Lone Star over all the other beers and liquor I have.

There is a way I sometimes drink it that adds a little more refreshment...some call it a "Redneck Bloody Mary", others may say it's a "Chelada". I make my Bloody Mary mix and mix it in a tall glass with Lone Star. Sometimes I get lazy and buy Zing Zang BM Mix. I will even mix up a sixer in a jug and take it with me fishing around the ponds. Not a bad way to kick back and enjoy the late Deep East Texas afternoon after a hard days work. No shame in enjoying a decent "Economy Beer".

I've never me a beer I didn't like (except those bearing a Lite or Light in their name). Some are better than others, and some are really good, depending on what your definition of good is. I've had the good fortune of spending 22 years in Uncle Sam's Navy so kind of got to try a lot of brews in their local environs. Lone Star is not that bad. At it's price point it's pretty darned good. I'm not much for smell, look, all the flavors etc. Like Tom T. Hall, "I Like Beer." Asked a friend of mine, a brew master in a micro brewery, what sort of glass or stein was best to drink from. His reply was "The bottle it came in." So that's how I drink it. From the bottle it came in so don't ask me what it looks like. I don't have any idea how to rate it other than spend three hours digging in the dirt in the hot Texas sun and you'll love it. Goes good with BBQ, beans, and good music.

I don't know where anybody got the idea it was brewed in California. They obviously have never read the label or been to Fort Worth, Texas. Head north on I35E through Fort Worth and the brewery is on your right.

Lone Star Beer and Bob Wills Music:

1.8/5  rDev -27.4%

Lets not kid anybody. This isn't very good beer. It used to be back in the early 70's but a lot of things have changed since then. When I can find it, and that's not very often, I drink it because of the nostalgia effect. I put on some Jerry Jeff , close my eyes and imagine myself 40 years younger driving my 56 Chevy Sedan Delivery around Texas listening to AM radio and going into Austin on occasion to hear some good music at the Armadillo. For that alone its worth the price and the hangover.

1.84/5  rDev -25.8%

Pretty bad, but I didn't really expect it to be good. We tasted it in a blind taste test with 5 other cheap beers. This was the worst beer we tasted. No smell, weak color, off putting taste, overall pretty poor, but again you get what you pay for with this beer.

1.72/5  rDev -30.6%

Lone Star, its name and also its rating

Appearance - This poured a pretty and hazy pure yellow in color with a decent white head.

Smell - The grain is very powerful at the nose yet there's an appealing softness to it that's actually quite inviting. That light Pabst sweetness is in here as well and reminds me of rock candy.

Taste - The grain stays soft at the taste and blends well with the beer's sweetness. The flavors work well together and manage to keep this beer non-offensive.

Mouthfeel - This light-bodied lager has a mild but firm carbonation with just the slightest hint of dryness at the finish.

Drinkability - This is not bad at all for a semi-macro beer. There's nothing offensive in here, which is more than I can say for most AALs, and everything is in balance. Nice to finally get this here in SoCal.

1.25/5  rDev -49.6%

2.5/5  rDev +0.8%

I remember drinking this when I was trying to get a 25oz mug at Bukowski's in Boston. We had to drink 99 beers. This was one of them. Everytime I went in there I would procrastinate, dreading the day that I would have to drink it. My thoughts were confirmed when I did. Hard to swallow and ultra-bland.

2.21/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.25/5  rDev -9.3%

2.18/5  rDev -12.1%

Presentation: 12 oz twist brown long neck bottle, the word “Texas” is on the bottle six times. No freshness date.

Appearance: Crystal clear yellowish straw colour, thin white lace struggles to stick around.

Smell: Clean and grainy aroma, not much else at all in the nose.

Taste: Tremendously crisp with a lightened down smoothness, light bodied. First of is a mildly cloying sweet maltiness is thrown on to the palate, what little hop there are have a hard time keeping it in balance. Even though it is sweet the malt profile is weak so that shows the hops are just there to balance. Graininess is throughout and lingers far into the finish.

Notes: Bland lager, same as any other macro brew in the US. No need to recommend this beer being that the big three in the US do a fine job of making beer just like this and selling it for less.

2.83/5  rDev +14.1%

Very pale in color. Pours with a dry white head which exits quickly. A very dry beer. Hop taste is strong, with a pronounced aftertaste. Faint hints of burnt corn. This is not bad for a cheap beer. Serve ice cold if possible.

1.25/5  rDev -49.6%

3.75/5  rDev +51.2%

Appearance: medium head, medium carbonation, clear, light yellow

Smell: lime, wheat, malt

Taste: lime, wheat, malt

Mouthfeel: smooth but crisp--due to carbonation which is highly present,sweet

Drinkability: For the style I think this is highly drinkable--certainly better that Coors/ Miller..There is a bit of sweetness which made this stand out. On my own scale, I would give this a D+/C-. It is however, an above average adjunct lager. I could certainly drink six or more if I was in a macro drinking mood.

1.5/5  rDev -39.5%

1.5/5  rDev -39.5%

2.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Say what you want. It's exactly what it claims. A decent honest adjunct beer. I drink lonestar far more than i would like to admit. It's cheap, tasty when cold, and gets the job done in the killer Texas sun. Next to a well crafted beer of just about any style, yes, it falls short. But I almost religiously take a 6er of tall boys with me anytime I play disc golf, fish, hunt, or do anything outside. Its been my go to cheap beer for years and you will be hard pressed to convince me otherwise.

1.63/5  rDev -34.3%

Just terrible. Smells old, tastes flat. Pours a darker yellow with a short, bubbly head. Aroma of corn and dirt, not earth, dirt. Taste is sour and bitter, very metallic, and old. I only knew one guy that loved this beer. He was from Corsicana, TX. I later found out this was a dry town. Possibly to keep this beer away?

1.75/5  rDev -29.4%

3.25/5  rDev +31%

I didn't think it was awful. A decent beer sitting out on patio in Texas.

Lone Star Beer from Pabst Brewing Company