2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lone Star Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

Lone Star BeerLone Star Beer

awful

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.72% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 10-19-2001)
View: Beers (57) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lone Star Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 497 | Reviews: 194 | Show All Ratings:
nfatoots

4.75/5  rDev +93.9%

Served in a can. Consumed from said can.

I was being grilled by a couple of company men, and I decided to at least get a beer run out of it. Finally, the sixer of tall boys was placed in front of me. These brews are best enjoyed in dreams that happen in a locked box inside of your head.

Lone Star may also be enjoyed alongside one Reginald Ledoux, on your porch in Carcosa, or in pursuit of the King in Yellow.

Be warned - at the end of every sixer, there's a monster.

02-21-2014 22:06:52 | More by nfatoots
tesguino

Mexico

3.85/5  rDev +57.1%

The national beer of texas, the slogan of this beer give honour its name appearance and taste is good , smell low in the average, but easy drinkability and special for bbq and buddies meeting, in sunday, or soccer game with any snacks; very recommendable.

10-11-2005 14:42:44 | More by tesguino
tigg924

3.8/5  rDev +55.1%

Appearance: medium head, medium carbonation, clear, light yellow

Smell: lime, wheat, malt

Taste: lime, wheat, malt

Mouthfeel: smooth but crisp--due to carbonation which is highly present,sweet

Drinkability: For the style I think this is highly drinkable--certainly better that Coors/ Miller..There is a bit of sweetness which made this stand out. On my own scale, I would give this a D+/C-. It is however, an above average adjunct lager. I could certainly drink six or more if I was in a macro drinking mood.

04-06-2009 14:36:42 | More by tigg924
sayerofthelaw

3.78/5  rDev +54.3%

I'm not going to break this beer down and review it piece by piece, it's just a simple beer that's meant to be an easy drinker. There aren't any notable hop or malt flavors in it, but it's smooth and refreshing, the type of beer you want at midnight in Texas when it's 82 degrees outside. It's cheaper than the more popular domestic light beers and it tastes better.
Lone Star is my favorite session beer and that's all that I expect from it, it isn't a bad beer at all.

03-20-2010 07:01:45 | More by sayerofthelaw
nekronos

Mexico

3.75/5  rDev +53.1%

ALmost the same than Schafer, I do not know, but I think they are now belog to SABMiller, maybe they are still being free at some range. It was good, for a BBQ party, but since we do not got them in Mexico, it was booring, and annoying at the end. And I would have a lot to say about the can, but I prefeer not.

10-24-2005 14:40:58 | More by nekronos
Spiderhouse

3.73/5  rDev +52.2%

Consumed straight from the bottle with an assist from my Twang beer salt and the John prine coozy.

A--It sure is yellow. Not much of a head (I've poured this before). Pretty basic.

S--Grits and sugar. Not complex, but it's not supposed to be.

T--I love this lager. For its style (which i think is highly misunderstood and maligned), it's got a great, corny taste with a hint of sugar and a nice level of carbonation. I've had pretty much every AAL on the market, and this is one of the better ones.

M--Average.

D-- I just nailed 3 of these during the USC game, and was quite satisfied. Low ABV, plus great food and beer salt, make this very drinkable. I'll be done with the sixer before the 4th.

09-13-2009 01:55:42 | More by Spiderhouse
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.73/5  rDev +52.2%

Lone Star has a thick, white head, and a very clear, highly carbonated golden appearance. Aroma is faint to nil, but a very slight grain smell can be detected. Taste is mild and light, yet pleasant. It has a stereotypical American-style lager flavor, not unlike Busch. Mouth-feel is light and watery. Overall, this is a satisfying beer, but not particularly unusual. Drinkability is very good; a lawnmowing or cookout beer. I like it. NOTE: I bought this in Texas- it is not sold in Louisiana. I drank this in a beer glass poured from a 16 oz. can.

RJT

04-19-2010 01:28:50 | More by RonaldTheriot
bastardface

3.73/5  rDev +52.2%

Lone Dtar beer is another favorite of mine. Besides the little puzzles on the bottom of each bottle cap the beer isn't that bad. I was surprised that it is made by Pabst brewing. Lone Star has to be the best beer from this brewery, atleast by what I've had. The smell is not impressive but it is easily drinkabe. You can have quit a few without being annoyed by it. At has a little bitter bite toward the end of a drink. It tastes slightly hoppy and grainy. It is a step above bud light and Coors Light. Pretty good dud sud.

11-30-2010 03:52:18 | More by bastardface
greggwllms

3.63/5  rDev +48.2%

Although his beer may not be a Belgian delight, it deserves its place in all of beerdom. As a native Texan I have drank this beer for years. As it has been brewed in many places it has changed over the years, but I like the latest reincarnation the best.

Mouthfeel is watery but crisp. color is light brassy. taste is befitting the style with no outstanding characteristics.

whether you love it or hate it, this one always has a home in my fridge to help through the hot Texas summers

02-19-2008 04:32:32 | More by greggwllms
MadTown1000

3.63/5  rDev +48.2%

Bought it specifically out of wonderment that Lone Star Beer actually exists - I thought it was made up. Very light gold color - looks like Miller Lite, which probably isn't too surprising. Poured from bottle into a glass, it foams up to about a 2 inch head, which fizzes down to a thin white foam over about a minute. Not much smell to speak of. Tastes like you'd expect from a standard American lager but it has a slightly hoppy aftertaste on the back of the tongue that makes it stand out a little bit from the crowd. Not spectacular, but pretty good for the style. Certainly inoffensive. I could potentially buy it again as a barbecue beer.

Edited to increase drinkability score. This stuff does go down like water.

05-11-2009 23:11:23 | More by MadTown1000
Dajtai007

3.63/5  rDev +48.2%

Being a avid craft beer drinker, you need to have a beer that you just have everyday. This is my beer just for that purpose. I've probably had every top notch beer made in the world, but this always sits in my fridge. Its a good cheap beer that does its job well, quenching my thirst after a long day of work. Then I will dig deeper into the fridge and pull out something else to sip on. Its good for what its worth.

09-26-2012 06:59:37 | More by Dajtai007
lanechaffin

3.6/5  rDev +46.9%

It's spritzy, kind of light, and sometimes taste better than other times. It isn't great but it isn't bad and served cold it sure hits the spot. I've always thought it could be a pretty big money maker if they'd market it a little better.
Had a case this past weekend- now Lone Star comes with a RED PULL TAB...with a little white Texas star on it!! How cool is that haha. This beer really isn't half bad. I guess its fresh cause the cans are new...maybe Lone Star will keep up the good work.

04-18-2009 01:25:19 | More by lanechaffin
danieltothemax

3.58/5  rDev +46.1%

This beer was cheap! I like that when I buy some beer. It tasted alot like Budweiser. Cheap beer is usually terrible, but this wasn't that bad. I drank a 6pack tonight and I'm glad that I did. I found out my girlfriend was ex-girlfriend had been f---ing me over with some metal-head kid, and i was depressed. The Lone Star solved my problems at least for a short period of time. I will buy it again when I am depressed and feeling suicidal. Thank you Lone Star.

12-15-2004 07:05:41 | More by danieltothemax
beerdiablo

3.58/5  rDev +46.1%

The much-ballyhooed “National beer of Texas” needs to be reviewed in the proper context. This is not craft beer, nor does it portend to be.

This is an inexpensive, generic macro lager meant to be drunk in the Texas heat, at a BBQ/Pachanga, chili cook-off, tubing on the Guadalupe, etc.

I don’t recommend seeking it out if you can’t get it in your town but if you’re ever in Texas and you’re given a choice of BMC and there’s Lone Star available, order one and enjoy the company you’re with.

10-24-2005 00:23:21 | More by beerdiablo
SkeeterHawk

3.5/5  rDev +42.9%

I grew up with this stuff around. I had an older brother who had some friends that were big Lone Star drinkers. Since I was underage and clueless, I drank this stuff too. This is the first time I have really reviewed it since then, so let's go back in time...shall we?

Appearance: Pours a very clear slightly reddish golden color with a thick and tight 1/4" head of white bubbles. There are many bubbles rising to maintain the head and give it an almost Champagne look. A minute or so later there are still quite a few bubbles rising. The

Aroma: It actually has some aroma to it. There is some malty sweetness here that is almost reminiscent of a Helles. There is a slight metallic hint to it. A very slight hop aroma along with a dry graininess that you get as you go deeper into the beer.

Taste: The flavor is malt driven also. It definitely has a dry and attenuated kick to it, but there isn't really enough hops in it to balance the sweetness as it finishes. It leaves your throat feeling like it just took a big swig of water, but there is some sweetness there just to make it stick a bit on the way down.

Opinion: Well, I can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. It actually has some flavor and body to it without being all adjuncts. I believe that there is still a bit rice in here to lighten up the body, but I don't think that it is approaching the 30-40% that you get with AB's products. There is just far too little hops here to even make it a Helles. I was disappointed in the finish.

**Note** As I am supposed to, I am reviewing this beer against its style. That is why it is scoring so high because this is probably one of the better macro brews.

04-06-2006 22:01:26 | More by SkeeterHawk
goochpunch

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Don't mess with Texas.

Poured out Texas-cold into a pint glass. Typical light golden color with a thin, hardly lasting head. The main thing I smell here is corn, with a little bit of grain. Taste is an overall sweet. Not a whole lot to this. Kind of a good thing considering some bad flavors that can be had from a macro lager. Some grain flavors, but the palate is washed clean relatively quickly and there is no aftertaste to speak of. Very clean and refreshing. Mouthfeel is light and the carbonation is relatively mild for its style. Considering the fact that this is so damned clean and the mouthfeel is relatively mellow, this has excellent drinkability.

Pure. Texan. Beer.

06-02-2006 04:12:58 | More by goochpunch
xduderx

Tennessee

3.48/5  rDev +42%

We just recently started getting this beer again in Nashville so I ordered a longneck at my local bar.

apperanace = drank from a bottle but I'm imagining it's the typical pale color with heavy carbonation

smell = very pleasant with a little bit of hops aroma

taste = surprisingly crisp and refreshing with some definite hops undertones. very inoffensive and VERY similar to stag and pbr

mouthfeel = very light bodied and refreshing

drinkability = very high. this beer goes down easy and isn't too filling. it won't win any awards, but it's definitely one of the better american macros.

06-09-2006 19:32:31 | More by xduderx
NOOGIE

Wisconsin

3.48/5  rDev +42%

My constant search for all beers Pabst, I found this gem in Illinois. Poured into a mug, 12 oz bottle I can see this is gonna go wrong when the date says 07!

Apperance: Quick pour, foam appears, 1/2 finger of foam. Carbonation is still good, which suprises me. Foam sticks around for a while. Normal stained yellow color.

Smell: Classic Pabst smell, corn, grains, alcohol, and a bit of hops, nothing to bad.

Taste: A lot like a Pabst, but less bitter. Not as smooth. Tastes of grains and alcohol, and water.

Mouthfeel: Above average stays wet in your mouth, nothing offensive left.

Drink: Very easy, good for days like this. Just like a Pabst.

Overall good, I'd buy it again, but not for $15! Also there are some writings on the bottle caps.

06-20-2008 01:07:46 | More by NOOGIE
joshuadlight

3.48/5  rDev +42%

Had a couple while waiting around for a table at a restaurant last night. Clear and yellow with a fizzy head. Whaddya know? Its exactly what I was expecting. Not a lot in the nose, but the taste isn't offensive. This beer is fizzy and refreshing. Makes its name for being very cheap and very drinkable. There is a time and place for a beer like this. It is what it is.

03-02-2009 03:52:55 | More by joshuadlight
boblog

Oklahoma

3.45/5  rDev +40.8%

Good American Lager. Not great. Not awfull. Fairly cheap. Clean aftertaste. Not as bad as many people think. It is worth its price. The most intresting part is how many times the bottle mentions Texas."Dont mess with Texas" "Serve Texas cold" Texas bla bla. Oh well pretty decent beer.

06-21-2006 08:12:17 | More by boblog
Damian

3.45/5  rDev +40.8%

Drank from a 12 fl oz. (355 ml) bottle purchased at Hillside Wine & Spirits, Medford, MA
Aug0513
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a crystal clear, deep golden yellow. A frothy, bright white, one-finger crown topped the liquid, but it quickly fell to a thin ring. Tiny streaks of lacing trickled down the glass.

Dry, powdery, lager yeast notes dominated the aroma. Grainy with mild adjunct notes. Pretty ordinary and fairly non-descript, but decently clean and crisp.

Pale malts and cereal grains were noticeable in the flavor profile. Lemony, wheaty and somewhat tart in the center. A hint of grassy hops appeared in the crisp, dry finish. Overall, surprisingly tasty for the style.

The mouthfeel was solid. Medium bodied. Smooth, creamy and fluffy with a lively, finely beaded effervescence.

Lone Star Beer is a refreshing and relatively flavorful American adjunct lager. All in all, definitely a notch or two better than most beers of this style.

08-27-2013 15:18:07 | More by Damian
CaskofFlyingDog

Tennessee

3.43/5  rDev +40%

I found this on the Tennessee/Kentucky border. I'm a fan of obscure old beers and so this was a must.

App: pretty decent. I mean it's quite pale straw but it's got somoe effervense. The anemic head goes away after a few minutes.

Smell: Corn, alot like MGD but less potent

Taste: It's whiskey beer but it ends surprisingly smoother

Mouthfeel: Graininess then it mellows out

Drinkability: an easy drinker by far. It's just a bit too boring for me though.

10-04-2006 20:29:27 | More by CaskofFlyingDog
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.43/5  rDev +40%

Had this on draft at the buckhorn saloon in San Antonio

Pours very light golden & effervescent. Zero head retention or lacing

S: Slight grainy & sweet amlt scents

T: Sweet malt & some grainyness. A little iron & honey follows. Finishes crisp & a little grainy

MF: Medium bodied & slightly over cabronated, go figure

Drinks pretty easy, I could 2-3 on a warm day, way better than BMC, a pleasant suprise; went well with my chopped beef bbq sandwich & jalapeno

04-24-2007 04:57:41 | More by russpowell
heath1agnew

3.43/5  rDev +40%

appearance- golden in appearance. what you would expect from the style

smell- corn husk and a hint of sweet smell

taste and mouthfeel- good flavor the style, very mild hops and a nice clean dry finish.

mouthfeel- pretty watery but at the same time maybe it's really not for the style

drinkability- very drinkable.

enjoyed it and i will buy it again.

05-02-2009 02:21:30 | More by heath1agnew
acevenom

Louisiana

3.4/5  rDev +38.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The slogan reads The National Beer of Texas on the can. Poured into a pint glass. Pours the color of straw with an abundant, quickly dissipating white head. Plenty of bubbles can be seen streaming from the bottom of the glass. The smell is the typical adjunct lager smell. There is barley, corn, and faint grassy hops.
The taste follows the nose. The barley and corn are detectable and typical of the adjunct lager taste. The hop flavor is mild. The body is light with plentiful carbonation. The finish is crisp and dry. The drinkability is very good. Overall, this is a good beer. It's unoffensive and accomplishes what it sets out to do.

07-06-2012 22:18:13 | More by acevenom