Lone Star Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

Lone Star BeerLone Star Beer

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.65% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 10-19-2001

- Lone Star Beer uses the finest hops from the Pacific Northwest with hearty grains from the Central and Northern Plains. Malted barley and corn extract combine to provide Lone Star with nature's finest ingredients for brewing. Lone Star's ingredients give this beer its full natural flavor. The choicest hops lend complexity and aroma to this beer, and its proprietary mashing regimen creates the perfect balance of alcohol, body, and character.
- ABV% 4.65
- Calories 136
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lone Star Beer Alström Bros

Take any weak BMC and put a Texas-proud label on it and there you go - Lone Star Beer. Poured a 3" white soap suds head which faded fast. Standard clear pale straw yellow color. Almost no smell or taste but I suppose you could say it has a very weak grassiness to it. About as watery as they come. Everything is big in Texas, except this beer.

The label states, "Pure Texas Beer" and "Don't Mess With Texas". If "Texas" is as weak as this "beer", I can kick "Texas"'s butt with hands tied!
No head, dull pale "color". Dry vegetal aroma. Nothing. Tainted water. There is nothing remotely resembling beer here! Why would anyone want to drink this? It doesn't even try to be beer! Finish? None! Body? None! Hops, malt? Nope! Texture, there is none!
Given to me as a sample by a beer salesman. I don't quite trust him anymore.
Worst Beer. EVER!

1.03/5  rDev -58.5%

Probably the grossest beer we've ever had. Wrote a review for this a while back, however it looks like it got deleted (probably because we compared the smell to a fresh urinal cake). Luckily, we still have our notes. So, here's a 'nicer' review.

Appearance: Yellow and fizzy like most cheap macros. Doesn't look appetizing, however I suppose it could look worse... maybe.

Smell: Extremely astringent. Smells like grainy malts, corn, and straight-up skunkiness. You know when you slip in a bathroom and fall into a urinal....nevermind.

Taste: Taste is similar to most American macros, except more pungent. Sour and bitter in all the bad ways. Aftertaste is stale cereal.

Mouthfeel: Watery and highly carbonated.

Drinkability: Only two bottles from the entire six pack were finished, and both were consumed by non-wisemen. We even tried using it for beerpong (as a replacement for Natty Light) and couldn't do it. Avoid this beer at all costs.

Uses: I'd probably sell this beer to minors to teach them that underage drinking is bad

1.06/5  rDev -57.3%

You;ve got to be kidding!!!!!!!!!! I was in Austin, Texas a few years ago and a man walked up the the bar, the bartender asked if he wanted a beer. He said, "No, I'll have a Lone Star."

1.2/5  rDev -51.6%

Appearance - No head. White lace. Dead pale straw body with no visible carbonation.

Smell - No smell other than a very slight corn scent.

Taste - No off flavors. Then again, no real flavors to speak of.

Mouthfeel - Water.

Overall Drinkability - This beer has no redeeming qualities other than the fact that it tastes like water, and it is conceivable that someone might want to get drunk while drinking water, so this would be the solution to that need.

1.25/5  rDev -49.6%

12 oz. long neck bottle that has a white with gold trim label. The label has a red with gold trim shield with the word "Lone Star" in the middle. Around the shield are gold pictures of the Alamo, the state of Texas with "since 1845" written into it, and drawings of a few Texas heroes, Stephan E. Austin and William B. Travis. To the far left and right of the label is where they keep the US Government warning, the address of the brewery, and the barcode. No best before date anywhere, but there is a brewery number stamped onto the neck of the bottle. It means something to the brewery, but not to the consumer. I almost forgot one thing. It's capped with a twist off cap and under every cap is a different riddle. It's hard to figure out the riddle because the pictures are too small for the human eye to read.

Appearance: When poured into an American pint glass (I probably should have drank it straight from the bottle), Lone Star was a nice healthy clear urine yellow. The kind of yellow you would want to see when taking a urine analysis. It had a half an inch head of white foam that only took a fraction of a second to completely dissipate into oblivion. It somehow managed to leave behind a handful of white rings and a white spot of lace.

Smell: OH MAN!! What an aroma this beer had. My glass was going to burst with the scent of some of the finest German hops money can buy and high quality Belgian chocolates...Who am I kidding? The real aroma was almost nonexistent. If you swirled it around for an hour (that's an hour I'm never going to get back), you might get something. After that hour was taken away from my life, I got the aroma of apple juice laced with alcohol, cheap Wal-Mart perfume, and malted Texas born corn and rice. You know what? I would have rather had the nonexistent aroma than what this beer actually had. It would have saved time.

Taste: I going to make this quick and painless or should I say quick and tasteless. The only "taste" this beer offered was the taste of water with a quick sting of malted grains. It tasted like they malted every grain grown in Texas and then dumped the entire state's water supply to make it watery and non-offensive.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery with no aftertaste whatsoever! Should I say more?

Drinkability: If you have to drink Lone Star for some reason, drink it out of the bottle and not from a glass. You don't want to waste your time scrubbing the hell out of your glass to get this beer out of your life. This is clearly an example of the saying "you get what you pay for." And for about $4 a six pack, you're not getting much.

1.27/5  rDev -48.8%

A: I really prefer to drink in the can because poured in a glass seems urine;

S: Unpleasant notes of corn;

T: Adjunct grains where corn predominate, some aluminum, when is heated worsens the taste;

M: Fizzy;

D: Very bad to drink, maybe if you accompany any snack with it should be fine.

1.31/5  rDev -47.2%

Are you guys kidding me? Is this stuff really available outside of Texas? Ugh! We don't drink it down here, and I recommend you not drink it either, no matter where you are. I wouldn't even water my office plants with Lone Star.

1.33/5  rDev -46.4%

Oh no, I am at a great beer bar whwn the song thunderstruck comes on the jukebox. My friends start the thunderstruck drinking game and I realize I am not playing a drinking game with GLBC Xmas ale. Jump to the bar and decide to try Lone Star. AAL, why not? I qickly found out...

A - Pours closer to water then I could imagine... There is very little head and it quickly disappears.

S - cheap. I didn't know that cheap would ever be a wa I would use to rate smell of a beer, but this is closer in smell to king cobra than I want to imagine.

T - Close to biting into the stalk of a crn cob. It's all adjunct here folks, nothing else.

M/D - Goes down about cheap vodka. Come to think about it, it's as drinkable as 9 dollar handles of vodka at the grocery store.

1.37/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Piss beer, I had to try just because. PBR bottled with a different label. This is the kind of beer my grandpa might have liked In boot camp back in the 40s. That being said, it's easy drinking for guys that don't require much out of their brew.

1.43/5  rDev -42.3%

Clear body, no head whatsoever. Smells faintly of grain, that's it. Taste is bland, watery, lightly grainy, very much like something you could envision Hank Hill, Dale Gribble, or Bill Dauterive drinking. Mouthfeel is fizzy and thin. I will pass on this, pretty bad.

1.53/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The beer was served cold in a pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a fizzy yellow coloration. The head is a thin white coloration.

Smell / Taste: This is a very bland and boring macro lager. The aroma is grainy corn and the flavor is an annoyingly sweet corn flavor. No off aromas or flavors noted.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer has a thin fizzy body. This beer is crisp and clean and boring. This is BMC by another name.

1.55/5  rDev -37.5%

Forget the standard format for reviews, this one sucks too much to necessitate such professionalism. I love the Great State of Texas. That is why I find this beer to be so utterly offensive.

As a beer, this is a macro-lager. There is nothing worth reporting on this other than that. If you are faced with the choice of this or a BMC, flip a coin because it does not matter.

1.57/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

OK, first this is supposed to be the state beer of Texas but it's made in California? My first sip and I seriously thought this was diluted with water. Very weak. Take your average beer and then mix it 50/50 with water and there you have it: Lone Star beer. I could not even finish 1/4 of the bottle and not wanting the waitress to get offended, I poured most of it on my 12 dozen finished oyster shells and leftover bread to look like I at least drank most of it. Would I drink this if there was nothing else? Sure, but this stuff is not really good at all.

1.58/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

This is just another light beer. It's decent, I suppose, but it didn't surprise me and certainly didn't impress me in any area. I just feel like they could do more with it.

1.59/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A: Looks decent enough. Pale gold with great clarity and very active carbonation from small bubbles. Dense white head starts out well, then settles to a thin film. Leaves occasional wisps of lace.

S: Not a promising beginning. Steamed cabbage, apples and a bit of metal make up the nose. This isn't going to be a good experience is it?

T: Relatively tasteless cold. As it warms, things go downhill fast. A faint straw flavor starts out weak and watery, but a steamed corn and cabbage flavor quickly makes an appearance. Bitterness arrives in the form of metallic green apples. Finishes tart and dry, with more straw and cabbage. A lingering wet cardboard flavor adds an extra level of unwanted complexity. The warmer it got, the more I winced.

M: Light body has a harsh level of carbonation.

D: Ouch. This was one of only three Texas beers I could find near Bush Airport in Houston. The hotel bar had it on tap for $6.00. ($6.00?!? For Lone Star? Are these people nuts?) The convenience store across the street; however, had a bunch of single 16oz cans for a much more realistic price, so I grabbed one. Not my wisest investment. Even the special "Limited Edition" can didn't help.

1.59/5  rDev -35.9%

On tap at the Broken Spoke, ATX.

From a choice of Shiner Light, bottled Stella, or this. Poured into a red Solo cup, so I never got a clear view of the color; in the dim light of the Spoke, it was a washed-out yellow. A fairly thick head of small bubbles that dissipated quickly. The aroma was simply stale beer. No true malt, no discernible hops. An inauspicious beginning.

The taste followed the aroma. Flat, watery and lukewarm, this cup was like one of Proust's madeleines, taking me back my first encounter with beer, a keg of this at a family reunion as a grade-schooler in the late 70's. Some things haven't changed.

1.62/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Aroma is - well, crisp and malty, but lacking complexity. At least it smells like a beer, albeit an industrial brew. It pours a typical clear straw yellow, not much head. Flavor is - meh, a little malty, that’s all. I’ve had "lite" beers with more flavor. Texture is fizzy but rather watery. I had to try it, and at least now I know.

1.63/5  rDev -34.3%

Just terrible. Smells old, tastes flat. Pours a darker yellow with a short, bubbly head. Aroma of corn and dirt, not earth, dirt. Taste is sour and bitter, very metallic, and old. I only knew one guy that loved this beer. He was from Corsicana, TX. I later found out this was a dry town. Possibly to keep this beer away?

1.63/5  rDev -34.3%

This is the Budweiser of Texas...in fact it was founded by Adolphus Busch in 1883. Light straw yellow and light flavorless body. The seltzery texture is hardly distinguishable from the hop taste. Am I tasting hops or seltzer? Weak, dry and stale tasting with an odd stale aroma. The head disappears as quickly as the flavor. I don't think the defenders of the Alamo would approve. Prime example of Cheap Beer!

1.64/5  rDev -33.9%

I mean...it is what it is. Had this at Atlantic Beer Garden in Boston. It's got a sweet but musty smell to it. A little dull. This hails as the "National Beer of Texas". Come on Texas, you can do better than that! I'd probably rather go with a PBR if this is the genre of beer that is called for.

1.65/5  rDev -33.5%

I'm sure Texas has its strong points but beer sure doesn't seem to be one of them. On a recent visit to the northern suburbs of Houston I was forced to drink many a bad beer, this one included. The choices were the usual national macro swill and local macro swill. I went local but gained nothing for the experience. The same yellow fizzy crap that I associate with AB, Miller and Coors. Utterly lacking in taste and character. Texans apparently think of themselves as rugged individualists but their beer is wimpy.

1.66/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours with a medium sized white head, a well carbonated beer. Unfortunately that's the best thing about this beer. Clear bright yellow color. Smells slightly sour and cidery. No skunk thanks to the low hopping rate and brown bottle. Light body. Not much flavor beyond some faint watery maltiness. Finishes with a brief sour aftertaste. There might be a hop in there but I couldn't find it. Might be okay if you've just mowed an acre of lawn during a Texas summer and there's nothing else available.

1.68/5  rDev -32.3%

I need to thank Hard Target for this one. He tried to give me a primer on many of the finely crafted Texas brews. Although this hails from Texas, I don't classify it in the same arena as the other quality brews that he sent me.

Appearance: Pours golden yellow with a clear white head.

Smell: None.

Taste: carbonated water. Almost like a perrier. A bitter aftertaste with acidic bite to it. Not much going on here.

Mouthfeel: thin and very watered down.

Drinkability: I'm sure it would quench your thirst on a hot Texas day.

I'm thankful for the Texas primer but seriously, "you shouldn't have".

Stick to the summary of the beer at the top of the page and "AVOID".

1.71/5  rDev -31%

It pours a pale straw yellow with a quick, epemeral white head that leaves virtually no legacy of itself.

The aroma is dry, and more vegetal than malty. It comes off as flat, and has no hop character that I could note.

The flavor brings cooked corn to mind, with a fleeting sharp sweetness that promptly drops off and lets a shallow and featureless bitterness come through at the finish. There is virtually nothing here to recommend it.

It's light bodied, and just short of water. What does come across as notable is the dry bitter glow on the tongue.

My aunt sent me this from San Antonio. Had I known what I was facing, I'd have sent it right back. Thin, flat of flavor, and pretty much devoid of any real identity, the vegetal notes played too strong a role to allow the otherwise crisp emptiness to make this drinkable. It'd been in the back of the DBF for about a month, and I just kept putting off trying it. But she spent the shipping costs, so I was guilted into it. Silly me and my conscience.

Lone Star Beer from Pabst Brewing Company