Lone Star Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

awful

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.72% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 10-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lone Star Beer Alström Bros
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.08/5  rDev +25.2%

My brother in law hands me a big 710ml can of this stuff last night, drank out of a highball glass.

Clear, straw yellow in colour. Big white head on the pour, recedes to a thin cap.

Basic macro aroma of grains and adjuncts.

Taste is fairly clean. Grainy with a subtle sweetness. Petrol flavour arrives once the beer starts to warm and by the time I got to the end of this giant can, it was almost unbearable. Practically no aftertaste.

Smooth clean thin bodied mouthfeel. Average carbonation for a macro.

This was actually slightly better than what I expected. It's really nothing to write home about, but I'm sure they get lots of sales due to the big can. I'm reasonably sure this is contract brewed in Canada somewhere (forgot to check the can). Possibly Great Western who does PBR and Olympia around here. Possibly Sleeman who does it out east and would more likely have the canning line for these 710ml brutes. I'd drink this again, but I won't be running out the door to get some.

06-24-2006 02:37:47 | More by Noxious26
boblog

Oklahoma

3.45/5  rDev +40.2%

Good American Lager. Not great. Not awfull. Fairly cheap. Clean aftertaste. Not as bad as many people think. It is worth its price. The most intresting part is how many times the bottle mentions Texas."Dont mess with Texas" "Serve Texas cold" Texas bla bla. Oh well pretty decent beer.

06-21-2006 08:12:17 | More by boblog
jasonjlewis

2.38/5  rDev -3.3%

This beer makes me think that my friends are indeed retarded. They all have told me stay away from this beer, it's so horrible. It tastes like shit. It's too harsh.

I drank this beer at a party and it was kind of watered down. People were drinking it thinking they were hard. I was like wtf? People think just because beer is cheap it must taste like crap. THis beer was pretty crisp. Not a lot too it though. There are beers at the same price that are better.

06-16-2006 06:10:44 | More by jasonjlewis
xduderx

Tennessee

3.48/5  rDev +41.5%

We just recently started getting this beer again in Nashville so I ordered a longneck at my local bar.

apperanace = drank from a bottle but I'm imagining it's the typical pale color with heavy carbonation

smell = very pleasant with a little bit of hops aroma

taste = surprisingly crisp and refreshing with some definite hops undertones. very inoffensive and VERY similar to stag and pbr

mouthfeel = very light bodied and refreshing

drinkability = very high. this beer goes down easy and isn't too filling. it won't win any awards, but it's definitely one of the better american macros.

06-09-2006 19:32:31 | More by xduderx
goochpunch

3.48/5  rDev +41.5%

Don't mess with Texas.

Poured out Texas-cold into a pint glass. Typical light golden color with a thin, hardly lasting head. The main thing I smell here is corn, with a little bit of grain. Taste is an overall sweet. Not a whole lot to this. Kind of a good thing considering some bad flavors that can be had from a macro lager. Some grain flavors, but the palate is washed clean relatively quickly and there is no aftertaste to speak of. Very clean and refreshing. Mouthfeel is light and the carbonation is relatively mild for its style. Considering the fact that this is so damned clean and the mouthfeel is relatively mellow, this has excellent drinkability.

Pure. Texan. Beer.

06-02-2006 04:12:58 | More by goochpunch
shererjt

2.65/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured a pale, clear yellow with a large, fizzy head. Pretty standard-looking. Aroma is corn and malt with a bit of hops, but not much. Not bad, actually. Body was light-to-medium. Lots of corn in the taste, which leaned to the sweet side. Had a tiny bit of astringency. Decent mouthfeel--prickly and lively. Drinkability was average, which is pretty good by macro standards.

Much better than expected, but I didn't expect much. Stands up well against the best macros. Oh, and the can is pretty too.

05-26-2006 01:11:26 | More by shererjt
SkeeterHawk

3.5/5  rDev +42.3%

I grew up with this stuff around. I had an older brother who had some friends that were big Lone Star drinkers. Since I was underage and clueless, I drank this stuff too. This is the first time I have really reviewed it since then, so let's go back in time...shall we?

Appearance: Pours a very clear slightly reddish golden color with a thick and tight 1/4" head of white bubbles. There are many bubbles rising to maintain the head and give it an almost Champagne look. A minute or so later there are still quite a few bubbles rising. The

Aroma: It actually has some aroma to it. There is some malty sweetness here that is almost reminiscent of a Helles. There is a slight metallic hint to it. A very slight hop aroma along with a dry graininess that you get as you go deeper into the beer.

Taste: The flavor is malt driven also. It definitely has a dry and attenuated kick to it, but there isn't really enough hops in it to balance the sweetness as it finishes. It leaves your throat feeling like it just took a big swig of water, but there is some sweetness there just to make it stick a bit on the way down.

Opinion: Well, I can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. It actually has some flavor and body to it without being all adjuncts. I believe that there is still a bit rice in here to lighten up the body, but I don't think that it is approaching the 30-40% that you get with AB's products. There is just far too little hops here to even make it a Helles. I was disappointed in the finish.

**Note** As I am supposed to, I am reviewing this beer against its style. That is why it is scoring so high because this is probably one of the better macro brews.

04-06-2006 22:01:26 | More by SkeeterHawk
Mitchster

3.38/5  rDev +37.4%

I had no idea this was brewed by Pabst. Interesting. I thought the label was just cheezy enough to try. "Celebrating 65 years of Pure Texan Beer". Nice. Pours out to a sparkingly clear pale straw golden, requiring a firm pour to achieve a modest soapy white head with average retention and minimal lacing. The aroma is interesting....sweet cereal grains and floral hops like Heineken but with this interesting perfumy/cologne nuance, like somebody put a drop or two of Drakkar Noir in there. Carbonation is moderate. The mouthfeel is brisk and crisp with a light body. The taste is like a blend of Euro Lager and Domestic Macro Pils with a touch of lingering corn sweetness, but not irritatingly so. Some metals in the middle. Bitterness is mild. Not harsh, astringent or tainted by off-flavors or fusels as most domestics in this beers league are.

Actually, this isn't too bad. I would drink this again, especially if it were ice cold. I drank this little guy down in about 3 minutes. Much better than most domestic macro's. Sure, it's nothing exciting, but at this price point you're really looking for what's least offensive. Give it a try.

01-27-2006 22:44:33 | More by Mitchster
TastyTaste

1.43/5  rDev -41.9%

Clear body, no head whatsoever. Smells faintly of grain, that's it. Taste is bland, watery, lightly grainy, very much like something you could envision Hank Hill, Dale Gribble, or Bill Dauterive drinking. Mouthfeel is fizzy and thin. I will pass on this, pretty bad.

01-25-2006 17:44:51 | More by TastyTaste
allengarvin

2.48/5  rDev +0.8%

I hadn't drunk one of these since high school, but I found some in the fridge at work and thought I'd give it a try.

It's pale, crystal clear, a slight head but poor retention. Grainy, corny aroma. Fairly clean taste of sweetish malt and the faintest of hops. Less corn than I expected. Finishes dry and empty. Light bodied and well-carbonated.

Not as bad as some macros, but nothing to love here. I'll happily sing the words to Red Steagall's "Lone Star Beer & Bob Wills Music" as lustily as any good Texan, but there's no reason I can see to ever drink another one of these.

01-06-2006 04:03:54 | More by allengarvin
nekronos

3.75/5  rDev +52.4%

ALmost the same than Schafer, I do not know, but I think they are now belog to SABMiller, maybe they are still being free at some range. It was good, for a BBQ party, but since we do not got them in Mexico, it was booring, and annoying at the end. And I would have a lot to say about the can, but I prefeer not.

10-24-2005 14:40:58 | More by nekronos
beerdiablo

3.58/5  rDev +45.5%

The much-ballyhooed “National beer of Texas” needs to be reviewed in the proper context. This is not craft beer, nor does it portend to be.

This is an inexpensive, generic macro lager meant to be drunk in the Texas heat, at a BBQ/Pachanga, chili cook-off, tubing on the Guadalupe, etc.

I don’t recommend seeking it out if you can’t get it in your town but if you’re ever in Texas and you’re given a choice of BMC and there’s Lone Star available, order one and enjoy the company you’re with.

10-24-2005 00:23:21 | More by beerdiablo
tesguino

3.85/5  rDev +56.5%

The national beer of texas, the slogan of this beer give honour its name appearance and taste is good , smell low in the average, but easy drinkability and special for bbq and buddies meeting, in sunday, or soccer game with any snacks; very recommendable.

10-11-2005 14:42:44 | More by tesguino
mentor

Colorado

Bottle obtained from the discount rack of a local liquor store. Pours like a ginger ale...with a tiny fizzy head of white carbonation that quickly settles to nothing. Appears crystal clear straw yellow with several streams of bubbles and many miscellaneous bubbles rising to the top. Smells of an oily hallertauer hop with a ting of saaz tiny zing. Malt sweet is nearly absent. Tastes of carbonation and sweet hop floral with a touch of honey. The carbonation flavor is a sting that lasts only a moment, the most of the flavor is the hops. It's rounded and oily floral in a way similar to hallertauer. Late is a malt sweet that somes across as honey, but then the hops make a return to dominate the aftertaste. Light body and highly carbonated. Simple and drinkable (once I swirled to get rid of the overbearing carbonation)...much better than I expected.

07-31-2005 01:11:00 | More by mentor
Ricochet

2.53/5  rDev +2.8%

What the hell, figured I start the beer reviewing this weekend with a generic "burp beer" and see how well this does up against Falls City.

Smell, average for yellow beers. Nothing distinctive. Average yellow color. Mouth was , average again. See where this review is going? It had average carbonation. Taste was grain belt. Period. You don't get more ordinary than this, but there was a metallic note in the end, probably from the water. I didn't think much of this brew, it lacks the special "oomph" that makes Falls taste just a little different. I could have had this and several other similar beers, and would be hard pressed to tell which is which. Plenty of other beers out there...

07-17-2005 03:52:29 | More by Ricochet
Gagnonsux

2.3/5  rDev -6.5%

Lone Star is exactly what you expect from a bargain-priced adjunct lager. The color is pale yellow with a weak head. Aroma is sweet adjuncts and taste is about the same. The flavor has a notable cereal grain quality, with no attempts to hide the adjuncts. Fortunately, this doesn't have any nasty off-flavors and remains drinkable. You could probably buy worse at the price they sell Lone Star, but you could also do better by picking up some PBR, Stroh's, or Schlitz.

05-17-2005 17:28:15 | More by Gagnonsux
jdm

2.7/5  rDev +9.8%

This is the only beer I buy in a can. It is dirt cheap here in the lone star state and is my everyday beer. It is a great thirst quincher and good with a meal. It is the water of my beers. I always pour into a glass as I cannot be reduced to complete beer barbarism. It pours a one finger head that speeds away in two minutes. It is a medium yellow that leaves the faintest hints of lace on a glass giving away its cheap manufacture with a healthy dose of corn sugar. I enjoy a grainy flavor in any beer and that is fortunate because that is about all that can be detected in the taste and aroma of a lone star. There is an ample amount of carbonation but light on the malt which is why the head doesn't stick around long after poured. This is about as predictably macro in its characteristics as can be expected but there is nothing unpleasant here, just nothing to savour. Quite drinkable.

04-26-2005 15:11:33 | More by jdm
Pepeton

1.88/5  rDev -23.6%

Bought a six pack in the supermarket: Dirt cheap.
I live in México and beer down here is cheaper than in the US.
I didn't understood how this American beer was almost half the price of the local brews.
After tasting it everything was crystal clear.
Typical macro lager.
Clear light yellow color, some short living head and no lacing.
Smell was also faint, with some grain.
Taste was crisp, with little to no maltiness and even less hops.
Bland, some carbonation aftertaste.
You might drink a lot of these in a hot afternoon.

¡Salud!

04-21-2005 02:25:57 | More by Pepeton
karst

Missouri

3.08/5  rDev +25.2%

Standing over a hot mesquite charcoal fire the icy oil can of Lone Star is shared only with the wild pig quickly seared in the fragrant smoke and then slowly baked in it double foil wrapper. We have worked out a deal. This little piggy gets a splash of Lone Star and I get to remove a nice tender strip of meat as the hams slowly roast. Its a slow process and a big can but hey! "What's time to a pig?"

Rick and Rayna invited us to their Catholic Wedding in the early 70's and the old german San Antonio "Bechtold" and Chicago imergrant czech catholic families celebrated in S. Texas as the Lone Star flowed. Still revered by many in S. Texas as the only non-rice beer. It is now brewed in Ft. Worth and still dry hopped with Hallatau hops. Followed by Bush (another oil can) I was suprised!

Your choice - but for me and the pig it's Lone Star born / brewed in Texas, as much part of Texan culture: rodeo, two-steppin, or The Alamo. Lone Star maintains its place in Texas lore by supporting today’s Texan musicians, outdoorsmen and our friend, the armadillo. (humm. . . I have not seen an armadillo since I left Missouri and now Rich only drinks Bush nothing stays the same.

04-09-2005 10:05:29 | More by karst
Backer2004

3.2/5  rDev +30.1%

So I'm at a Crawfish Boil/Rehearsal Dinner in Orange Texas where the only beers left were Miller and Bud Light. However, I found a case on a bench with this brew. After "borrowing" one, I thought this was the best choice of the night. Nothing real special, other than a nice after taste. Would not have had a chance to try this otherwise.

04-02-2005 04:10:46 | More by Backer2004
Rootdog316

2.98/5  rDev +21.1%

After reading quite a few reviews, not to many people apparently like this beer. I personally thought it was great. I'd never heard of Lone Star before, especially in the state of Virginia. I bought one not too log ago, served in a bottle, and I gotta tell ya, I really liked it a lot. I think its a perfectly substitute for a Budweiser any day.

03-26-2005 11:09:21 | More by Rootdog316
BigRedN

Nebraska

2.55/5  rDev +3.7%

As I was driving home from work I heard that the State of the Union Address was to be on TV. Ah, back in the college days we used to play drinking games to this speech (take one drink every time the presidents party gives him a standing ovation, etc.). An inidvidual could get plowed in an hour sometimes. I decided I needed something approporiate for the occasion. Then I remembered, the local grocery has six packs of Lone Star. Macro (or regional?), Texan, much like the Pres., perfect.

Appearance: Your typical American macro lager. Clear, light gold/yellow. Thin white head, disapeared in about a minute. Plenty of carbonation.

Smell: Little smell, hint of grain, sweet adjuncts (corn?).

Taste: I laste had this while in Ft. Worth last summer. I thought it was better. Slightly grainy, limited sweetness, not much else. My memory must be bad, cause this used to taste like Pabst.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, lively, yet watery.

Drinkability: Not quite what I remember, and at $6.99 a six-pack, definitely a rip off here. I thought this was a little better than this, but I could only stomach two, and half of a third is in front of me and I may just forget to finsh it. It may be that this is old. In Nebraska we have a pretty strong dislike for all things, Texan, and the three sixers that were on the shelf may be part of the original case the store got in stock.

02-03-2005 04:38:33 | More by BigRedN
Frozensoul327

2.8/5  rDev +13.8%

A typcial American lager. A smooth, light aroma of corn that is not unsimilar to Pabst, but a bit less overpowering. Pours out with medium light carbonation and a short lived head. Mildly rich golden colour. Refreshing flavor of a straight forward lager - a touch on the watery side, but none the less tolerable. This is supposed to be THE beer of Texas, and if that is so, I wouldn't mind living there all that much. Recommended for those who like macro-regional brews.

12-26-2004 00:54:39 | More by Frozensoul327
far333

Connecticut

3.3/5  rDev +34.1%

Straw colored with a lumpy white head of tight bubbles. Aroma is corny, a little sweet. Mouthfeel is a bit watery, but bubbles tingle the tongue. Flavor is also corny, a little biscuity, but not so far as to say malty (probably because there is little or no malt). Difficult to tell if there is a fine hop presence, or if it's just the tingle of the carbonation. Finishes pretty clean. Not too complex, but not offensive.

12-21-2004 03:08:14 | More by far333
danieltothemax

3.58/5  rDev +45.5%

This beer was cheap! I like that when I buy some beer. It tasted alot like Budweiser. Cheap beer is usually terrible, but this wasn't that bad. I drank a 6pack tonight and I'm glad that I did. I found out my girlfriend was ex-girlfriend had been f---ing me over with some metal-head kid, and i was depressed. The Lone Star solved my problems at least for a short period of time. I will buy it again when I am depressed and feeling suicidal. Thank you Lone Star.

12-15-2004 07:05:41 | More by danieltothemax