Lone Star Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

awful

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.72% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 10-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lone Star Beer Alström Bros
2.63/5  rDev +6.9%

My dad picked up a 6 pack whilest on vacation, brought 2 bottles back, and let me have one - this is not my first time with lone star as i've had a 6 of the tall boys in the past, but anywho

poured from 12oz into tall stein/mug, pours a translucent golden color, highly carbonated

smells of corn, rice, wheat, appley alchohol

taste is crisp, vegetably, bitterness, smoother drinking @ colder temps, your stereotypical lawnmower beer

mouthfeel is watery, corny aftertaste, carbonation makes it smoother/crisper

overall, if i lived in texas i might get it every so often for tasks that require cheap beer, not the worst thing in the world but far from the best ;)

drxandy, May 22, 2008
2.95/5  rDev +19.9%

I would rate this at par with Miller High Life or Coors, even though where I get it (usually in 24oz cans) it sells for about half the price. If you are low on cash and want a buzz, go for it. Just make sure it's ice cold. Somehow it tastes slightly better in cans.

marc956, Apr 29, 2008
2.28/5  rDev -7.3%

Appearance: It's very clear and light golden in color. Head is foamy and about a finger deep. Poor retention and no lacing to talk about.

Smell: Traditional for the style...very light on the nose. There are some grainy/earthy notes. Very light caramel malt aroma. No hops or alcohol are noticeable.

Taste: It's predominantly grainy. Caramel malts add some sweetness. Very watered down and it has a very slight metallic taste. Again, hops and alcohol are nowhere to be found.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied. Carbonation is decent. Slightly crisp. Drinkability is low due to its blandness and lack of flavor. Overall, it's not a good beer.

prototypic, Apr 02, 2008
2.05/5  rDev -16.7%

How could I go to Texas and not at least try Lone Star? It met my expectations in that it really wasn't that good. It was a fairly typical macro lager. It poured a star-colored yellow with a thin white head that dissipated quickly. Smell was light a bit of malt, some corn, and that was about it. Taste followed suit. A bit of malts, corn, adjuncts most likely, and that was about it. Maybe a tiny hint of hops, but not much more. It was clean and crisp to drink though, and went down very smoothly. Still, I wouldn't exactly recommend drinking this, though, you'll find there are some places where it really is your only option.

YonderWanderer, Mar 12, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -8.5%

This beer poured a yellowish straw color with very little head. The smell was very subtle and hard to pin down. Perhaps some malts. The taste is mostly malt with bit of hops towards the end and an aftertaste that reminds me very much of malt liquor. The mouthfeel is a little watery, but not offensive. As far as a cheap beer goes, this seems to be pretty drinkable beer. I'm not sure I'd ever choose it, but I probably wouldn't turn it down.

TheTrevor, Feb 26, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +47.6%

Although his beer may not be a Belgian delight, it deserves its place in all of beerdom. As a native Texan I have drank this beer for years. As it has been brewed in many places it has changed over the years, but I like the latest reincarnation the best.

Mouthfeel is watery but crisp. color is light brassy. taste is befitting the style with no outstanding characteristics.

whether you love it or hate it, this one always has a home in my fridge to help through the hot Texas summers

greggwllms, Feb 19, 2008
2.33/5  rDev -5.3%

Slight metallic, bitter smell and similar taste, except watered down too. Maybe some corn too. A very generic beer, without anything special going for it. Medium to high Carbonation, and somewhat refreshing ice cold, but not a great beer taste-wise obviously, and most people over 21 won’t want this unless they’re on a budget. A very, very strict budget.

JDV, Jan 15, 2008
2.68/5  rDev +8.9%

Like any good macro, this beer isn't inherently offensive. It doesn't really resemble beer, but it was sweet and smooth enough. The flavor just tasted like malt-infused water in that it had a bland sweetness that didn't taste like any grains in particular. I kept trying to pull more flavors out of it, but it was to no avail. Will say, however, that if I was in Texas on a hot day and someone handed me a Lone Star, I'd drink it.

tempest, Dec 29, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -8.5%

Inoffensive watery malty flavoured drink.
It has a certain crispness to it that may slake an oil barons thirst but you would hope that something that has got the gall to identify itself so directly with Texas would be " bigger "than this offering.
No reason to drink this as there are many equally dull beers around

jarmby1711, Dec 28, 2007
3.15/5  rDev +28%

I grew up drinking Lone Star as a kid back in San Antone. Back then it was locally owned, locally brewed and a superior product to the current edition. I still like the smell and the after taste of Lone Star, but overall it's just not something I'd go out of my way to purchase. I had a friend come into town and bring me a case of long neck bottles. I'll certainly drink them all, probably with chili and or barbecue. It's not my favorite drink anymore, but it still reminds me of home. This is still a pretty good session brew, lower in alcohol than a lot of other lagers.

AgingWarrior, Dec 24, 2007
1.78/5  rDev -27.6%

This beer is a pale yellow-gold color with a thin and short-lasting white head. Specks of lacing on the glass. Mild aroma of hops and grainy malt. Light-bodied with an unappealing flavor profile of grain, corn and weak hops. The finish is moderately bitter and not very flavorful. Slight lingering grain flavor. Overall this beer doesn’t know when to fold ’em.

Dogbrick, Dec 18, 2007
2.45/5  rDev -0.4%

This is my favorite cheap beer. I used to drink this before I knew what good beer was, and haven't really touched it since. I grabbed a bottle from my friend's house - thanks Ross.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Man, I wish I didn't pour this in a glass. I had no idea the beer looked this unappealing. Perfectly transparent. PALE straw yellow. It produced a quickly dissipating 1/2 finger head. Absolutely no head retention. The only redeeming quality is that there is a constant bubble stream of carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass.

Smell - I am at a loss here. I really can't figure out what it is I am smelling here. There isn't much scent to begin with, but I can detect trace amounts of cracker-like malts, and the slightest hop scent - I think. Very adjuncty - corny.

Taste - The taste isn't the best I have had, but it is a lot better than most other macros. Very grainy or corny perhaps. There is a tinge of sweet malt. There is a tiny bitterness present, along with a metallic note. Mostly watery.

Mouthfeel - LIGHT bodied. Very watery. Tons of carbonation, which I can appreciate, it helps to cut through the thin body and relatively bland flavor. The carbonation feels... artificial - which is hardly appealing.

Drinkability - It would be easy to chug a sixer in under an hour (been there, done that... but I am not proud of it or anything...). I don't buy this type of beer anymore, but I would reach for it every time over any of the big 3 (i guess it is technically the big 2 now...) anyday. It is an easy drinking macro, but I just don't desire that type of thing.

MiguelMandingo, Dec 06, 2007
1.23/5  rDev -50%

12 oz. long neck bottle that has a white with gold trim label. The label has a red with gold trim shield with the word "Lone Star" in the middle. Around the shield are gold pictures of the Alamo, the state of Texas with "since 1845" written into it, and drawings of a few Texas heroes, Stephan E. Austin and William B. Travis. To the far left and right of the label is where they keep the US Government warning, the address of the brewery, and the barcode. No best before date anywhere, but there is a brewery number stamped onto the neck of the bottle. It means something to the brewery, but not to the consumer. I almost forgot one thing. It's capped with a twist off cap and under every cap is a different riddle. It's hard to figure out the riddle because the pictures are too small for the human eye to read.

Appearance: When poured into an American pint glass (I probably should have drank it straight from the bottle), Lone Star was a nice healthy clear urine yellow. The kind of yellow you would want to see when taking a urine analysis. It had a half an inch head of white foam that only took a fraction of a second to completely dissipate into oblivion. It somehow managed to leave behind a handful of white rings and a white spot of lace.

Smell: OH MAN!! What an aroma this beer had. My glass was going to burst with the scent of some of the finest German hops money can buy and high quality Belgian chocolates...Who am I kidding? The real aroma was almost nonexistent. If you swirled it around for an hour (that's an hour I'm never going to get back), you might get something. After that hour was taken away from my life, I got the aroma of apple juice laced with alcohol, cheap Wal-Mart perfume, and malted Texas born corn and rice. You know what? I would have rather had the nonexistent aroma than what this beer actually had. It would have saved time.

Taste: I going to make this quick and painless or should I say quick and tasteless. The only "taste" this beer offered was the taste of water with a quick sting of malted grains. It tasted like they malted every grain grown in Texas and then dumped the entire state's water supply to make it watery and non-offensive.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery with no aftertaste whatsoever! Should I say more?

Drinkability: If you have to drink Lone Star for some reason, drink it out of the bottle and not from a glass. You don't want to waste your time scrubbing the hell out of your glass to get this beer out of your life. This is clearly an example of the saying "you get what you pay for." And for about $4 a six pack, you're not getting much.

AltBock, Nov 13, 2007
2.65/5  rDev +7.7%

for a macro this is pretty decent. i like it more than the big threes. pours decent. decent head and carbonation. smell is of light grains. taste is of light grains.

nothing overly impressive here but if i lived in Texas this would be one of my regular beers. pretty refreshing and i would rather patronize the smaller of the macros. besides i like it more.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

giblet, Aug 04, 2007
2.98/5  rDev +21.1%

This one surprised me. I had 5 beers in my "make your own" 6'er and eyed the shelf looking for something I hadn't tried. This one jumped out and I stuck it in the 6th slot. I had little hope it would be much of anything. But I was surprised. A bit better than expected. As Macros go, Pabst is one that has a little bit more drinkability than others. So it's no surprise that this reminded me of its less expensive brother in terms of taste (or lack thereof) and complexity (or lack thereof). No, the gold color, the moderate head, the thin to moderate body and the bubbles all said "bland" when I saw it. But it actually tasted a bit better than that. And the mouthfeel was a bit more substantive than I thought it would be. All malt all the time (and some great Texas water, I assue), but one of those beers you could enjoy to wash down BBQ and go right back for another and another. Very smooth and unpretentious. And sometimes that's what you want in a beer.

tugdriver7, Jul 05, 2007
1.93/5  rDev -21.5%

Purchased at Liquor Shed in Casper.

Poured from 16oz can a pale gold with a large head of foam that sharnk quickly to almost nothing by the end of the glass.

The smell is a typical macro lager smell...corn and sweetish malt.

The taste is nothing special..big surprise. Weak malt character that's mostly sweet and sticky, hop character is very subdued. There's just some slight tartness that weakens the sweetness a tad but not enough for my liking. Blah. Once is enough for this one. Can't recommend.

Bitterbill, Jun 09, 2007

Mmmm. Corn.

Light straw color with a mediocre white head. Smells of adjuncts and maybe some hops. Tastes of corn and/or rice. Decent mouthfeel and of course you could drink a ton of these on a hot day.

Described to me as the "National beer of Texas" by the bartender. Not everything is bigger in Texas!

ZimZamZoom, Apr 27, 2007
3.43/5  rDev +39.4%

Had this on draft at the buckhorn saloon in San Antonio

Pours very light golden & effervescent. Zero head retention or lacing

S: Slight grainy & sweet amlt scents

T: Sweet malt & some grainyness. A little iron & honey follows. Finishes crisp & a little grainy

MF: Medium bodied & slightly over cabronated, go figure

Drinks pretty easy, I could 2-3 on a warm day, way better than BMC, a pleasant suprise; went well with my chopped beef bbq sandwich & jalapeno

russpowell, Apr 24, 2007
2.05/5  rDev -16.7%

"Serve Texas cold" on label. Is that different than any other state's cold? Whatever...

It pours pale golden yellow with a fizzy head that eventually vanishes. Typical of style.

The smell is of corn adjuncts. Sulfurish/chemical with only a vague hint of grain.

The taste is of sweet grain and cooked corn. Not unlike so many macro-brews, but lacking even compared to so many others. Watery finish.

This is watery and has quite a bit of a fizzy character.

Even in style, this is pretty bad, though not the worst. Still, why bother...

jwc215, Apr 12, 2007
1.98/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Poured out a clear yellow color. Highly carbonated with a white, one-finger head.

S -It smelled of corn, grains and some malt.

T - It tasted of corn and not much else. There was a hint of malt.

M - It was rather dull and bland. A light-bodied beer.

D - Not so good. As far as inexpensive American lagers go, I'd rather have a Stag or PBR.

zeff80, Mar 24, 2007
2.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Average. Average. Average.

This is an average beer.

The appearance is piss yellow with a slight, foamy white head. No lacing on the glass. Smell is of a slight, slight malt and corn. Taste is pretty thin/watery. Not much to this beer at all. Almost like a bud, but with a little less corn taste. I also got a sense of bananas.

Carbonation is strong enough that this would make a good choice to accompany a burger or hot dog/fries; the drinkability is fine since it's a pretty light-bodied beer.

But...

average. average. average.

cheap too.

oldirtycaffrey, Jan 21, 2007
2.2/5  rDev -10.6%

Lone Star pours a very clear golden yellow color with some head that dissipates quickly and almost no lace, Nice carbonation; Smell is grainy and some corn; Taste is a little bit malty; Mouthfeel is clean and crisp; Very drinkable and refreshing.

¡Salud!

fido, Jan 13, 2007
2.28/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours straw in color. Frothy head,with little retention,and minimal lacing. Smell is grainy, and metalic. Body is thin,and carbonated. Taste like the smell has a nasty metalic edge.Grain flavored water maybe. I've tasted better from Pabst. This was not good.

riversider76, Jan 04, 2007
2.5/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a light straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was poor lacing and little retention.

The smell featured a lightly sweet corn and husky grain aroma.

The taste consisted of a thin grain and corn flavor with a slight sweetness. Very weak hop presence.

The mouthfeel was light and crisp with a lingering corn sweetness.

Overall a typical and unremarkable macro. Not much else to say here.

plaid75, Jan 03, 2007
1.93/5  rDev -21.5%

Found this interesting looking beer at the Party Source in Newport, KY. I like the "Don't Mess With Texas" written on the label. The beer, however, as I expected was not impressive.

Appearance: gold with a small head, transparent
Smell: skunky, typical marco lager smell
Taste: not good, cereal grains with some nice skunkiness like most macro lagers
Mouthfeel: thin, easy to drink though
Drinkability: ehhhh, didn't want another

Applesauce1, Dec 10, 2006