Lone Star Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.65% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 10-19-2001

- Lone Star Beer uses the finest hops from the Pacific Northwest with hearty grains from the Central and Northern Plains. Malted barley and corn extract combine to provide Lone Star with nature's finest ingredients for brewing. Lone Star's ingredients give this beer its full natural flavor. The choicest hops lend complexity and aroma to this beer, and its proprietary mashing regimen creates the perfect balance of alcohol, body, and character.
- ABV% 4.65
- Calories 136
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lone Star Beer Alström Bros

1.53/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The beer was served cold in a pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a fizzy yellow coloration. The head is a thin white coloration.

Smell / Taste: This is a very bland and boring macro lager. The aroma is grainy corn and the flavor is an annoyingly sweet corn flavor. No off aromas or flavors noted.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer has a thin fizzy body. This beer is crisp and clean and boring. This is BMC by another name.

1.55/5  rDev -37.2%

Forget the standard format for reviews, this one sucks too much to necessitate such professionalism. I love the Great State of Texas. That is why I find this beer to be so utterly offensive.

As a beer, this is a macro-lager. There is nothing worth reporting on this other than that. If you are faced with the choice of this or a BMC, flip a coin because it does not matter.

1.57/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

OK, first this is supposed to be the state beer of Texas but it's made in California? My first sip and I seriously thought this was diluted with water. Very weak. Take your average beer and then mix it 50/50 with water and there you have it: Lone Star beer. I could not even finish 1/4 of the bottle and not wanting the waitress to get offended, I poured most of it on my 12 dozen finished oyster shells and leftover bread to look like I at least drank most of it. Would I drink this if there was nothing else? Sure, but this stuff is not really good at all.

1.59/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A: Looks decent enough. Pale gold with great clarity and very active carbonation from small bubbles. Dense white head starts out well, then settles to a thin film. Leaves occasional wisps of lace.

S: Not a promising beginning. Steamed cabbage, apples and a bit of metal make up the nose. This isn't going to be a good experience is it?

T: Relatively tasteless cold. As it warms, things go downhill fast. A faint straw flavor starts out weak and watery, but a steamed corn and cabbage flavor quickly makes an appearance. Bitterness arrives in the form of metallic green apples. Finishes tart and dry, with more straw and cabbage. A lingering wet cardboard flavor adds an extra level of unwanted complexity. The warmer it got, the more I winced.

M: Light body has a harsh level of carbonation.

D: Ouch. This was one of only three Texas beers I could find near Bush Airport in Houston. The hotel bar had it on tap for $6.00. ($6.00?!? For Lone Star? Are these people nuts?) The convenience store across the street; however, had a bunch of single 16oz cans for a much more realistic price, so I grabbed one. Not my wisest investment. Even the special "Limited Edition" can didn't help.

1.59/5  rDev -35.6%

On tap at the Broken Spoke, ATX.

From a choice of Shiner Light, bottled Stella, or this. Poured into a red Solo cup, so I never got a clear view of the color; in the dim light of the Spoke, it was a washed-out yellow. A fairly thick head of small bubbles that dissipated quickly. The aroma was simply stale beer. No true malt, no discernible hops. An inauspicious beginning.

The taste followed the aroma. Flat, watery and lukewarm, this cup was like one of Proust's madeleines, taking me back my first encounter with beer, a keg of this at a family reunion as a grade-schooler in the late 70's. Some things haven't changed.

1.62/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Aroma is - well, crisp and malty, but lacking complexity. At least it smells like a beer, albeit an industrial brew. It pours a typical clear straw yellow, not much head. Flavor is - meh, a little malty, that’s all. I’ve had "lite" beers with more flavor. Texture is fizzy but rather watery. I had to try it, and at least now I know.

1.63/5  rDev -34%

Just terrible. Smells old, tastes flat. Pours a darker yellow with a short, bubbly head. Aroma of corn and dirt, not earth, dirt. Taste is sour and bitter, very metallic, and old. I only knew one guy that loved this beer. He was from Corsicana, TX. I later found out this was a dry town. Possibly to keep this beer away?

1.63/5  rDev -34%

This is the Budweiser of Texas...in fact it was founded by Adolphus Busch in 1883. Light straw yellow and light flavorless body. The seltzery texture is hardly distinguishable from the hop taste. Am I tasting hops or seltzer? Weak, dry and stale tasting with an odd stale aroma. The head disappears as quickly as the flavor. I don't think the defenders of the Alamo would approve. Prime example of Cheap Beer!

1.64/5  rDev -33.6%

I mean...it is what it is. Had this at Atlantic Beer Garden in Boston. It's got a sweet but musty smell to it. A little dull. This hails as the "National Beer of Texas". Come on Texas, you can do better than that! I'd probably rather go with a PBR if this is the genre of beer that is called for.

1.65/5  rDev -33.2%

I'm sure Texas has its strong points but beer sure doesn't seem to be one of them. On a recent visit to the northern suburbs of Houston I was forced to drink many a bad beer, this one included. The choices were the usual national macro swill and local macro swill. I went local but gained nothing for the experience. The same yellow fizzy crap that I associate with AB, Miller and Coors. Utterly lacking in taste and character. Texans apparently think of themselves as rugged individualists but their beer is wimpy.

1.66/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours with a medium sized white head, a well carbonated beer. Unfortunately that's the best thing about this beer. Clear bright yellow color. Smells slightly sour and cidery. No skunk thanks to the low hopping rate and brown bottle. Light body. Not much flavor beyond some faint watery maltiness. Finishes with a brief sour aftertaste. There might be a hop in there but I couldn't find it. Might be okay if you've just mowed an acre of lawn during a Texas summer and there's nothing else available.

1.68/5  rDev -32%

I need to thank Hard Target for this one. He tried to give me a primer on many of the finely crafted Texas brews. Although this hails from Texas, I don't classify it in the same arena as the other quality brews that he sent me.

Appearance: Pours golden yellow with a clear white head.

Smell: None.

Taste: carbonated water. Almost like a perrier. A bitter aftertaste with acidic bite to it. Not much going on here.

Mouthfeel: thin and very watered down.

Drinkability: I'm sure it would quench your thirst on a hot Texas day.

I'm thankful for the Texas primer but seriously, "you shouldn't have".

Stick to the summary of the beer at the top of the page and "AVOID".

1.69/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Watery, corn flavor and aroma. Zero head, flat mouthfeel. Pretty bad.

1.71/5  rDev -30.8%

It pours a pale straw yellow with a quick, epemeral white head that leaves virtually no legacy of itself.

The aroma is dry, and more vegetal than malty. It comes off as flat, and has no hop character that I could note.

The flavor brings cooked corn to mind, with a fleeting sharp sweetness that promptly drops off and lets a shallow and featureless bitterness come through at the finish. There is virtually nothing here to recommend it.

It's light bodied, and just short of water. What does come across as notable is the dry bitter glow on the tongue.

My aunt sent me this from San Antonio. Had I known what I was facing, I'd have sent it right back. Thin, flat of flavor, and pretty much devoid of any real identity, the vegetal notes played too strong a role to allow the otherwise crisp emptiness to make this drinkable. It'd been in the back of the DBF for about a month, and I just kept putting off trying it. But she spent the shipping costs, so I was guilted into it. Silly me and my conscience.

1.73/5  rDev -30%

Don't be fooled by the implication that this a premium beer. This compares to any other swill, and it's not as good as some at that. Harsh and astringent flavor.

Lone Star Beer from Pabst Brewing Company