Old Style - Pabst Brewing Company

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.72% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 09-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Style Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev +12.2%

im a big fan of craft beers, wheat beers are my favorite and like to grab an IPA on occasion. when im on a tight budget i turn to old style or rolling rock, only macro beers i remotely respect. lot of my friends like coors lite bud lite busch lite, idk how they enjoy them. anyway old style is smooth crisp far from unpleasant and the only beer i can drink out a can, it smell and appearence are nothing special but it got a smooth mouthfeel n nice taste, ur ever low on finances check it out, not bad and it gives u your money's worth.

Walter12590, Nov 13, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +34.4%

With my father condemning Old Style as "the worst beer ever made" and referring to it as "Dog Style" since I was a kid, I was skeptical about the quality of the beer. However, my father - who holds Miller Lite and Coors Light as his go-to brews - and I drastically differ with our beer tastes, so I was considering that as I popped the tab on the can of Old Style.

Given the price and the ubiquity of this brand, you can't expect the style and complexity of craft beers. Yet Old Style is a healthier, heavier-body brew, not too watery, not too grainy, and not too reliant on one particular bitter or unappetizing flavor. It has a light drinkability to it and favorable qualities that make it a solid beer all around.

SteveJeremy, Aug 26, 2014

Old style beer is a Chicago staple and basic lager. The price for 6 pack of pounders is 4.50. For inexpensive lager a 5 !

Appearance: light yellow with small carbonation.

Smell : like a American style like corn and grains.

Taste: old style has a taste of light grains with some small malt to it.The end of the taste you get a small bit at the end. Nice crisp dry finish makes you want to drank more . For the price is a great beer !

Mouthfeel: light to medium mouthfeel

Overall : Old style is good lager with more taste then 85 percent of lagers on market. Old style beats out High life, modello , Bud ice, Busch , Natural Ice and all of light beers on the market.

bbluemzbeer, Aug 02, 2014

Yep the best beer to me is Old Style beer. I keep it in the family, my grandfather on my moms side use to drink Old Style when I was growing up.My uncles to.Then as I got old enough to drink beer I've always new I would be drinking this great beer. It's funny when I started hanging out with new friends when I moved to my grandparents neighborhood, those friends were drinking Old Style to.Reach for The best beer old style beer, I was mainly brewed in La Cross, Wisconsin and then Semi loads to Chicago and the Suburbs outside Chicago. Old Style every where back then! And now I live in Southern Illinois right outside of St . Louis, Missouri and it's very hard to find it anywhere. And then when you do find it, your paying an arm an a leg,, crazyly high price! Is there any where in the St. Louis area I can by it cheapter then Dierbergs grocery store in Edwardsville, Illinois? So damn high there for a 12 pack of bottle's. They higherd the 12 pack price 3x this year??

Blahster, Dec 02, 2013
3.65/5  rDev +30.8%

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume III, Issue II:

Retooled, reinvented, resurrected. Call it what you want, but this Retro Lager has been revived.

Fluffy two fingers of head stands hard for a while; filtered, pale golden-yellow color. A duo of DMS (cooked corn) and cereal graininess in the aroma--to be more specific, creamed corn. Big smoothness with a quick bite from the hop bitterness. Light bodied. Cooked corn on the palate with a clean graininess throughout. Thin but pleasant layer of dry maltiness from middle to end. Finishes dry with some residual cereal graininess.

Tasty and clean for a Retro Lager. Great for when you are not looking for something exotic or extreme and just want a plain beer. A perfect beer for that greasy slice of pepperoni pizza or that ballpark dog slathered with chili.

BeerAdvocate, Sep 10, 2010

BigAl18, Sep 30, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +34.4%

wrecknut, Sep 29, 2014

brandon911, Sep 27, 2014

nothing special , cheap beer , but better that bud light and coors light by far ... tight budget get old style!!

davidtarantino, Sep 27, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -37.3%

Sergioelijah, Sep 26, 2014

302BeerGuy, Sep 25, 2014

indianabeerman, Sep 22, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -19.4%

millelacsmark, Sep 21, 2014
3.99/5  rDev +43%

I remember being introduced to this beer at a friend's house. Said friend said, "this beer is the beer I keep telling my friends to try, but they just won't. And the ones that do, they're converts." Well, so was I. So I finally found it again in my area and here we are.

Just so we're clear - this beer is a fantastic brew, but it feels weird reviewing it. One should honestly just drink it without thought...but I digress.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured into glass

Appearance (3) : A pale blonde color with a fluffy one finger head, receding quickly to a ring. Bubbles line the surface of the glass.

Smell (4) : A hint of maple syrup, some sweet roasted corn, some oats, fresh grass, and a little orange. I'm serious, this is a pretty knock-out-of-the-park smell for this type of beer.

Taste (4.25) : Carbonation hits first with a smooth oat lager taste. Within the body are soft corn notes, some wheat, dried and toasted grain, and an orange sweetness. A damp, soft blanket of smooth and fruity grain lies underneath. The finish is simply sweet and refreshing. A top notch taste in an American adjunct lager.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Heavily carbonated, which is normal for the style. Finishes almost perfectly semi-dry.

Overall : I didn't think pouring this one would help much, but it actually did. I can't speak for others but Old Style is one of my top favorite lagers bar none. It's miles above PBR, and rivals my current favorite Hauenstein. These beers are both cheap (Hauenstein and Old Style), and I can't imagine finding a better lager for the price. Do yourself a favor and try this beer - if you can find it.

The-Adjunct-Hippie, Sep 20, 2014