Old Style - Pabst Brewing Company

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 09-11-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 585 | Reviews: 191
3.73/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A very solid "cheap" beer from Pabst. I live in Ohio and Old Style is not regularly distributed here, so whenever I can get my hands on an Old Style I am more than pumped. Great flavor, awesome can and reasonable price. $6.99 for sixer of pint cans

2.43/5  rDev -12.6%

This beer was once the national beer of Chicago. First beer I ever drank, circa 1976. Great then, crap now, yet still holds a place in my heart.

On tap in pint glass.

Appearance: standard light lager appearance-- clear pale straw, thin white head, scant lacing, plenty of streaming carbonation.
Aroma: some corn and lightly toasted barley
Mouthfeel: light, crisp, refreshing
Flavor: light barley sweetness, plenty of corn, maybe a tiny bit of hop bitterness
Overall: it is what it is. It paired well with my burger and fries. Not exciting, but no offensive in any way.

3.5/5  rDev +25.9%

Solid chicago beer. Must be ice cole

3.5/5  rDev +25.9%

Sampled this evening on 4/1/15. Comes in a 16 ounce can and a 6-pack was $6.89 that I bought today. First time I ever tried this old-time brew. From the "G. Heileman Brewing Company in Milwaukee, Wisconsin" on the side of the can. Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage thumb-print handled-glass stein.

Brew pours a straw-yellow in color with a thin white head. A decent amount of lacing is seen when sipped that stuck to the sides of the glass. The aroma is of some yeast and grassy hops. Pretty much is said for the taste also. Goes down easy and a semi-dry finish. No harsh or bitter aftertaste. Lighter-bodied with good carbonation. Overall, I actually liked this one as I never had it before. Refreshing and would be even better for the warmer months.

3.63/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Very light straw appearance. Crystal clear. Thin, white head. Shows very good carbonation. Bready aroma with some grassy hops. Mild taste with a little bitterness from the hops. Watery mouthfeel. Semi-dry finish. Smooth. Refreshing. Overall, a decent beer. Nothing special about it, but at the same time there is nothing off-putting about it either. Enjoyable. Good one for hot weather.

12 oz can
Best by: May 11 15
Served in a Pilsner glass

2.29/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I was raised on the Southside of Chicago. In high school, in the 80s, this was THE brew. I didn't know any better and I loved it. Nothing tastier on a hot summer day than one of those ice cold little round bottles. Dare to dream. Now I'm old and can afford better beer and I buy better beer. Every now and then I have an Old Style and I'm young and stupid again.

2.9/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Good old Old Style. Brings back memories. Cubs Fan as well.8

1.91/5  rDev -31.3%

2.50 pints at the bar and washes down the burger good. It serves a purpose.

1.7/5  rDev -38.8%

Cheap nasty mass produced tasteless American swill

2.1/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer in a bottle when you can only afford cans.

1.5/5  rDev -46%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Just awful. For me, it was easily the very worst of the ultra low-end beers.

2.2/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2

Smells like overly sweet corn and has a very sugary and unbalanced aftertaste. The mouthfeel us the best thing it has.

3.41/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The look of the beer is pretty good for the style(no pun intended). The main reason I enjoy this beer is the location and circumstance under which I am drinking it. It is almost always in Chicago at Wrigley Field. How could you not enjoy almost any beer on a nice day at Wrigley? So, yeah, the beer isn't that great, but the beer and the experience together take it up a couple notches!

2.75/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

July at wrigley field. That's what this beer is! For real though, one of my favorite aal out there.

It's Old Style. When you are in Chicago and you want the local version of Bud, they got you covered.

It is no better or worse than you will expect.

nothing special , cheap beer , but better that bud light and coors light by far ... tight budget get old style!!

3.87/5  rDev +39.2%

I remember being introduced to this beer at a friend's house. Said friend said, "this beer is the beer I keep telling my friends to try, but they just won't. And the ones that do, they're converts." Well, so was I. So I finally found it again in my area and here we are.

Just so we're clear - this beer is a fantastic brew, but it feels weird reviewing it. One should honestly just drink it without thought...but I digress.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured into glass

Appearance (3) : A pale blonde color with a fluffy one finger head, receding quickly to a ring. Bubbles line the surface of the glass.

Smell (4) : A hint of maple syrup, some sweet roasted corn, some oats, fresh grass, and a little orange. I'm serious, this is a pretty knock-out-of-the-park smell for this type of beer.

Taste (4.25) : Carbonation hits first with a smooth oat lager taste. Within the body are soft corn notes, some wheat, dried and toasted grain, and an orange sweetness. A damp, soft blanket of smooth and fruity grain lies underneath. The finish is simply sweet and refreshing. A top notch taste in an American adjunct lager.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Heavily carbonated, which is normal for the style. Finishes almost perfectly semi-dry.

Overall : I didn't think pouring this one would help much, but it actually did. I can't speak for others but Old Style is one of my top favorite lagers bar none. It's miles above PBR, and rivals my current favorite Hauenstein. These beers are both cheap (Hauenstein and Old Style), and I can't imagine finding a better lager for the price. Do yourself a favor and try this beer - if you can find it.

3.75/5  rDev +34.9%

With my father condemning Old Style as "the worst beer ever made" and referring to it as "Dog Style" since I was a kid, I was skeptical about the quality of the beer. However, my father - who holds Miller Lite and Coors Light as his go-to brews - and I drastically differ with our beer tastes, so I was considering that as I popped the tab on the can of Old Style.

Given the price and the ubiquity of this brand, you can't expect the style and complexity of craft beers. Yet Old Style is a healthier, heavier-body brew, not too watery, not too grainy, and not too reliant on one particular bitter or unappetizing flavor. It has a light drinkability to it and favorable qualities that make it a solid beer all around.

3.25/5  rDev +16.9%

Serving: 24oz can into pint
Served: 19 August 2014

Appearance: 3.25/5. Pours a crystal clear light yellow color with massive carbonation streaming up from the bottom constantly. Head kind of looks like dish soap, and dies pretty quickly. No lacing.

Smell: 3.25/5. Sweet and grainy, with no off flavors or notable notes to speak of. Smells like 'beer'.

Taste: 3.25/5. Again, very standard American beer flavor- lots of sweet grains, no bitterness to speak of, no hop or assertive malt notes.

Mouthfeel: 3.75/5. Lively, high carbonation makes this one extremely quaffable, as you would desire for this style.

Overall: 3/5. I tried this because it was one of my grandpa's favorites and I grew up new Chicago so I figured I had to by mere association. Glad I tried it, but I probably won't feel the need to ever have one again.

Old style beer is a Chicago staple and basic lager. The price for 6 pack of pounders is 4.50. For inexpensive lager a 5 !

Appearance: light yellow with small carbonation.

Smell : like a American style like corn and grains.

Taste: old style has a taste of light grains with some small malt to it.The end of the taste you get a small bit at the end. Nice crisp dry finish makes you want to drank more . For the price is a great beer !

Mouthfeel: light to medium mouthfeel

Overall : Old style is good lager with more taste then 85 percent of lagers on market. Old style beats out High life, modello , Bud ice, Busch , Natural Ice and all of light beers on the market.

2.99/5  rDev +7.6%

Old Style derives its named from the original brewing process of this classic beer. Heileman's, the creator of Old Style, took an "old style" manufacturing approach to their beer, a process that took 30 days and used natural "krausening." Under Stroh's (and later Pabst), Heileman's pulled out of Eau Claire, Wisconsin and Old Style became a contracted beer. Krausening and much of the "old style" process was tossed aside in the interest of cost-cutting.

To add insult to injury, the current owners of Pabst, taunted Old Style drinkers by announcing that they were going to return Old Style to a more flavorful brew in line with the earlier recipe utilized by Heileman's, and in the process move the brand more up market. They kept good on the promise of moving the brand up market (only in terms of pricing!), but there was no change to the product other than some revised, moderately retro packaging.

Today Old Style is not krausened and has an oddly stale, faintly chemical taste to the brew. It's aroma and overall taste, however, still conjure up images of classic brews and times gone by. It's a trip down memory lane and for Chicago Cubs fans, it will always be a staple!

The good news is that Pabst has been recently floated on the market (March 2014) and it is hoped that a new buyer will bring better stewardship to Old Style and the dozens of other brands that fall under the Pabst banner.

3.48/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I have had this one several times. The first time was majestic due to the milieu in which I found myself in. It was hot and music was playing in myriad directions of all genres. This beer fit the surroundings perfectly. It has been nearly a decade since that first discovery of this Chicago staple and that memory has never left. I tried it again a few years later but it wasn't the same experience. I tell you today that this experience has had somewhat of a renaissance, when should I find in a local store a 12 pack of this tasty stuff. It is nothing spectacular but the memories that come with it were, so I give it points just for that. However, it is tasty and very enjoyable for what it is. I am a bit disappointed in that the store may have kept this stuff a bit too long. I think it may have an expiration date rather than a born on date and if that is the case this one went in the waning days of summer 2013. Nevertheless, it still tasted pretty damn good. This is a perfect beer for outside on warm days and I hope this place gets a refreshed batch soon, so that I can compare. But for what it is its a great beer. Better than many of the "legacy" brews I have tried and I wish it was more readily available in my area.

The color was the standard pale straw, the smell was pretty standard as well, it didn't smell bad, it just smelled like your granddad's beer he kept out in the garage. Grainy, malty, ah, brings me back on so many levels. The taste was great, I like this style of beer and I wish that other companies could get this down. It tastes like a beer should taste like. This is beer, not an ale. I know we can discuss semantics all you want, but this is what reminds me of what I was introduced to as "beer".

3.42/5  rDev +23%

Can into pint glass.

Very clear and golden.

Clean and grassy.

Good flavor. Light malts and cereal flavor. Not sweet and syrupy.

Exceptionally crisp. Refreshing finish that doesn't coat.

This is a good beer. Much better than Highlife and beers like that. For the price tho would rather drink Yuengling.

Yep the best beer to me is Old Style beer. I keep it in the family, my grandfather on my moms side use to drink Old Style when I was growing up.My uncles to.Then as I got old enough to drink beer I've always new I would be drinking this great beer. It's funny when I started hanging out with new friends when I moved to my grandparents neighborhood, those friends were drinking Old Style to.Reach for The best beer old style beer, I was mainly brewed in La Cross, Wisconsin and then Semi loads to Chicago and the Suburbs outside Chicago. Old Style every where back then! And now I live in Southern Illinois right outside of St . Louis, Missouri and it's very hard to find it anywhere. And then when you do find it, your paying an arm an a leg,, crazyly high price! Is there any where in the St. Louis area I can by it cheapter then Dierbergs grocery store in Edwardsville, Illinois? So damn high there for a 12 pack of bottle's. They higherd the 12 pack price 3x this year??

to view more.