Old Style - Pabst Brewing Company

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 09-11-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 592 | Reviews: 196
2.25/5  rDev -19.1%

Tastes like Wrigley Field in the summertime and that's good enough for me.

2.96/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Sure tastes good when it's $9 at a cubs game. Otherwise nah.

3.35/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not so bad. Typical mild lager, light adjunct flavor, mildly bitter aftertaste and an average mouth feel.

3.75/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Good adjunct lager. That's it.

2.56/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

"Grew up" on this beer. It might be the beer of my father but man, its hard to drink today.

3.73/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A very solid "cheap" beer from Pabst. I live in Ohio and Old Style is not regularly distributed here, so whenever I can get my hands on an Old Style I am more than pumped. Great flavor, awesome can and reasonable price. $6.99 for sixer of pint cans

2.43/5  rDev -12.6%

This beer was once the national beer of Chicago. First beer I ever drank, circa 1976. Great then, crap now, yet still holds a place in my heart.

On tap in pint glass.

Appearance: standard light lager appearance-- clear pale straw, thin white head, scant lacing, plenty of streaming carbonation.
Aroma: some corn and lightly toasted barley
Mouthfeel: light, crisp, refreshing
Flavor: light barley sweetness, plenty of corn, maybe a tiny bit of hop bitterness
Overall: it is what it is. It paired well with my burger and fries. Not exciting, but not offensive in any way.

3.5/5  rDev +25.9%

Solid chicago beer. Must be ice cole

3.5/5  rDev +25.9%

Sampled this evening on 4/1/15. Comes in a 16 ounce can and a 6-pack was $6.89 that I bought today. First time I ever tried this old-time brew. From the "G. Heileman Brewing Company in Milwaukee, Wisconsin" on the side of the can. Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage thumb-print handled-glass stein.

Brew pours a straw-yellow in color with a thin white head. A decent amount of lacing is seen when sipped that stuck to the sides of the glass. The aroma is of some yeast and grassy hops. Pretty much is said for the taste also. Goes down easy and a semi-dry finish. No harsh or bitter aftertaste. Lighter-bodied with good carbonation. Overall, I actually liked this one as I never had it before. Refreshing and would be even better for the warmer months.

3.63/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Very light straw appearance. Crystal clear. Thin, white head. Shows very good carbonation. Bready aroma with some grassy hops. Mild taste with a little bitterness from the hops. Watery mouthfeel. Semi-dry finish. Smooth. Refreshing. Overall, a decent beer. Nothing special about it, but at the same time there is nothing off-putting about it either. Enjoyable. Good one for hot weather.

12 oz can
Best by: May 11 15
Served in a Pilsner glass

2.29/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I was raised on the Southside of Chicago. In high school, in the 80s, this was THE brew. I didn't know any better and I loved it. Nothing tastier on a hot summer day than one of those ice cold little round bottles. Dare to dream. Now I'm old and can afford better beer and I buy better beer. Every now and then I have an Old Style and I'm young and stupid again.

2.9/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Good old Old Style. Brings back memories. Cubs Fan as well.8

1.91/5  rDev -31.3%

2.50 pints at the bar and washes down the burger good. It serves a purpose.

1.7/5  rDev -38.8%

Cheap nasty mass produced tasteless American swill

2.1/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer in a bottle when you can only afford cans.

1.5/5  rDev -46%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Just awful. For me, it was easily the very worst of the ultra low-end beers.

2.2/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2

Smells like overly sweet corn and has a very sugary and unbalanced aftertaste. The mouthfeel us the best thing it has.

3.41/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The look of the beer is pretty good for the style(no pun intended). The main reason I enjoy this beer is the location and circumstance under which I am drinking it. It is almost always in Chicago at Wrigley Field. How could you not enjoy almost any beer on a nice day at Wrigley? So, yeah, the beer isn't that great, but the beer and the experience together take it up a couple notches!

2.75/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

July at wrigley field. That's what this beer is! For real though, one of my favorite aal out there.

It's Old Style. When you are in Chicago and you want the local version of Bud, they got you covered.

It is no better or worse than you will expect.

nothing special , cheap beer , but better that bud light and coors light by far ... tight budget get old style!!

3.87/5  rDev +39.2%

I remember being introduced to this beer at a friend's house. Said friend said, "this beer is the beer I keep telling my friends to try, but they just won't. And the ones that do, they're converts." Well, so was I. So I finally found it again in my area and here we are.

Just so we're clear - this beer is a fantastic brew, but it feels weird reviewing it. One should honestly just drink it without thought...but I digress.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured into glass

Appearance (3) : A pale blonde color with a fluffy one finger head, receding quickly to a ring. Bubbles line the surface of the glass.

Smell (4) : A hint of maple syrup, some sweet roasted corn, some oats, fresh grass, and a little orange. I'm serious, this is a pretty knock-out-of-the-park smell for this type of beer.

Taste (4.25) : Carbonation hits first with a smooth oat lager taste. Within the body are soft corn notes, some wheat, dried and toasted grain, and an orange sweetness. A damp, soft blanket of smooth and fruity grain lies underneath. The finish is simply sweet and refreshing. A top notch taste in an American adjunct lager.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Heavily carbonated, which is normal for the style. Finishes almost perfectly semi-dry.

Overall : I didn't think pouring this one would help much, but it actually did. I can't speak for others but Old Style is one of my top favorite lagers bar none. It's miles above PBR, and rivals my current favorite Hauenstein. These beers are both cheap (Hauenstein and Old Style), and I can't imagine finding a better lager for the price. Do yourself a favor and try this beer - if you can find it.

3.75/5  rDev +34.9%

With my father condemning Old Style as "the worst beer ever made" and referring to it as "Dog Style" since I was a kid, I was skeptical about the quality of the beer. However, my father - who holds Miller Lite and Coors Light as his go-to brews - and I drastically differ with our beer tastes, so I was considering that as I popped the tab on the can of Old Style.

Given the price and the ubiquity of this brand, you can't expect the style and complexity of craft beers. Yet Old Style is a healthier, heavier-body brew, not too watery, not too grainy, and not too reliant on one particular bitter or unappetizing flavor. It has a light drinkability to it and favorable qualities that make it a solid beer all around.

3.25/5  rDev +16.9%

Serving: 24oz can into pint
Served: 19 August 2014

Appearance: 3.25/5. Pours a crystal clear light yellow color with massive carbonation streaming up from the bottom constantly. Head kind of looks like dish soap, and dies pretty quickly. No lacing.

Smell: 3.25/5. Sweet and grainy, with no off flavors or notable notes to speak of. Smells like 'beer'.

Taste: 3.25/5. Again, very standard American beer flavor- lots of sweet grains, no bitterness to speak of, no hop or assertive malt notes.

Mouthfeel: 3.75/5. Lively, high carbonation makes this one extremely quaffable, as you would desire for this style.

Overall: 3/5. I tried this because it was one of my grandpa's favorites and I grew up new Chicago so I figured I had to by mere association. Glad I tried it, but I probably won't feel the need to ever have one again.

to view more.