Old Style - Pabst Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 593 | Reviews: 196
Reviews by Shibbykaiyai:
3.33/5  rDev +19.8%

Nothing says summer baseball more than a can of Old Style. The beer is horrible on tap...and that is because that isn't the way that this beer is supposed to be served.

And for a non craft beer, it actually isn not all that bad. Taste is decent, goes down well, and is an easy beer to drink.

A very good summer beer. I would imagine most persons who are consulting beeradvocate might choose to go with a more expensive or refined beer, but for an American Style lager, it's pretty good.

3.65/5  rDev +31.3%

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume III, Issue II:

Retooled, reinvented, resurrected. Call it what you want, but this Retro Lager has been revived.

Fluffy two fingers of head stands hard for a while; filtered, pale golden-yellow color. A duo of DMS (cooked corn) and cereal graininess in the aroma--to be more specific, creamed corn. Big smoothness with a quick bite from the hop bitterness. Light bodied. Cooked corn on the palate with a clean graininess throughout. Thin but pleasant layer of dry maltiness from middle to end. Finishes dry with some residual cereal graininess.

Tasty and clean for a Retro Lager. Great for when you are not looking for something exotic or extreme and just want a plain beer. A perfect beer for that greasy slice of pepperoni pizza or that ballpark dog slathered with chili.

Old style beer is a Chicago staple and basic lager. The price for 6 pack of pounders is 4.50. For inexpensive lager a 5 !

Appearance: light yellow with small carbonation.

Smell : like a American style like corn and grains.

Taste: old style has a taste of light grains with some small malt to it.The end of the taste you get a small bit at the end. Nice crisp dry finish makes you want to drank more . For the price is a great beer !

Mouthfeel: light to medium mouthfeel

Overall : Old style is good lager with more taste then 85 percent of lagers on market. Old style beats out High life, modello , Bud ice, Busch , Natural Ice and all of light beers on the market.

3.06/5  rDev +10.1%

im a big fan of craft beers, wheat beers are my favorite and like to grab an IPA on occasion. when im on a tight budget i turn to old style or rolling rock, only macro beers i remotely respect. lot of my friends like coors lite bud lite busch lite, idk how they enjoy them. anyway old style is smooth crisp far from unpleasant and the only beer i can drink out a can, it smell and appearence are nothing special but it got a smooth mouthfeel n nice taste, ur ever low on finances check it out, not bad and it gives u your money's worth.

Yep the best beer to me is Old Style beer. I keep it in the family, my grandfather on my moms side use to drink Old Style when I was growing up.My uncles to.Then as I got old enough to drink beer I've always new I would be drinking this great beer. It's funny when I started hanging out with new friends when I moved to my grandparents neighborhood, those friends were drinking Old Style to.Reach for The best beer old style beer, I was mainly brewed in La Cross, Wisconsin and then Semi loads to Chicago and the Suburbs outside Chicago. Old Style every where back then! And now I live in Southern Illinois right outside of St . Louis, Missouri and it's very hard to find it anywhere. And then when you do find it, your paying an arm an a leg,, crazyly high price! Is there any where in the St. Louis area I can by it cheapter then Dierbergs grocery store in Edwardsville, Illinois? So damn high there for a 12 pack of bottle's. They higherd the 12 pack price 3x this year??

3.75/5  rDev +34.9%

With my father condemning Old Style as "the worst beer ever made" and referring to it as "Dog Style" since I was a kid, I was skeptical about the quality of the beer. However, my father - who holds Miller Lite and Coors Light as his go-to brews - and I drastically differ with our beer tastes, so I was considering that as I popped the tab on the can of Old Style.

Given the price and the ubiquity of this brand, you can't expect the style and complexity of craft beers. Yet Old Style is a healthier, heavier-body brew, not too watery, not too grainy, and not too reliant on one particular bitter or unappetizing flavor. It has a light drinkability to it and favorable qualities that make it a solid beer all around.

It's Old Style. When you are in Chicago and you want the local version of Bud, they got you covered.

It is no better or worse than you will expect.

3.4/5  rDev +22.3%

Appearance - This poured a light, pretty yellow in color with a good white head that actually showed some retention.

Smell - The grain is huge at the nose. This is probably the biggest AL aroma that I've had on an American macro. It's a bit on the stale side but not at all rotten like many examples I've had. The traditional Pabst sweetness is also absent which works well here.

Taste - The grain flavor is very even at the taste helping this one go down nicely. I can't really find anything offensive in it which is an accomplishment for the style. And again there is no putrid sweetness which makes this a standout.

Mouthfeel - This light-bodied lager is very smooth in the mouth with some soft carbonation. The carbs in particular are well done. They are soft with terrific texture and not at all fizzy.

Drinkability - I was impressed with this effort from Pabst. It has a nice flavor, nothing offensive, but the feel in the mouth is what makes this a stand out.

3.62/5  rDev +30.2%

I crack open the can and take a whiff. I get light corn and, would you believe? HOPS. I actually smell hops in this beer. They aren't strong, but they're there. I leave the beer in the can as I have decided for Old Style, and most other macros, this is indeed the proper way to enjoy the brew. These beers do have some slight color variation, but its hardly worth noting.

Light sweetness of corn and grain is kept in check by bittering hops that ad a barely perceptible hop flavor. Overall its quite balanced.

Mouthfeel is where this one shines, mid-wieght with large SOFT carbonation bubbles. Drinkability is high.

1.75/5  rDev -37.1%

12onz Brown bottle bring from Chicago,illinois

The appearance just the regular macro yellow color with tiny head that goes away,neither the smell grain and some hops.In the taste there's a light lager ,some maltiness very soft,water, does'nt feel bad in the mouth but there's no party neither. I would have another macro if i have to choice between then. I have seen cheaper beer taste better.

3.73/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A very solid "cheap" beer from Pabst. I live in Ohio and Old Style is not regularly distributed here, so whenever I can get my hands on an Old Style I am more than pumped. Great flavor, awesome can and reasonable price. $6.99 for sixer of pint cans

2.5/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours with a 1/2 inch dry white head. First taste is of grain. Flavor is pretty typical of American macro's. Perhaps a little drier than most. Faint hoppiness. The grains are where the flavor is. Not a really good beer, but not awfull either. Served ice cold which was a plus.

3.6/5  rDev +29.5%

I'm trying to review this beer for what it is, American fizzy yellow piss. That said for the uniniated(into the world of good beer) it is still held in contempt by some , I was out drinking with some buddies and I was flabbergasted how these MGD drinkers were shitting on this beer, I have a sentimental soft spot for this beer as it was and still is in spirit, a chicago beer. I was raised on this stuff and I can remember many a day when I came home from a hard day at work, thirsty and it did the job. I came to the bar with a nasty case of cotton mouth and the beer was like water to a man coming out of the desert. It reminded me of being at the ballpark, and I dipped my nose in that foamy head, fizzy yellow piss yes... but good for what it is.

2.43/5  rDev -12.6%

This beer was once the national beer of Chicago. First beer I ever drank, circa 1976. Great then, crap now, yet still holds a place in my heart.

3.35/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not so bad. Typical mild lager, light adjunct flavor, mildly bitter aftertaste and an average mouth feel.

3.87/5  rDev +39.2%

16 oz. Can poured into a hefe glass.

Appearance- pours a straw colored yellow with a pure white head. Lacing sticks to the side as I drink and head is maintained throughout this session.

Aroma- ahhh nothing like good ole American macro smell. Watery, canned corn sweetness, with a mild vodka like alcohol scent shining through.

Taste- Sweeter then I expected. There is a bit of a paper like taste that I enjoy in this beer. There is little to no bitterness in this one.

Mouthfeel- how it should be for this style. Light, medium carbonation, smmoth as mollasses.

Drinkability-Smooth easy drinking on this one. Lord willin I'll be drinking more of this.

2.75/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

July at wrigley field. That's what this beer is! For real though, one of my favorite aal out there.

2.93/5  rDev +5.4%

Limpid gold with a quick white head.
Nose of grain, sugar, and tortilla chips, with an occasional glimmer of brown, grassy hops.
Swigs through the mouth and down the throat without a big statement, but what does present is not entirely bad. It begins with a coarse graininess that is briskly wiped away with corn syrup and corn chips. It lingers soggy in the middle akin in both flavor and texture to cold, wet pasta. It perks up on the close, with a lightly metallic, dead grassiness and a fair amount of bitterness for a macro, though at least part of that is carbonation induced.
The bubbles come fast and furious, and the body is ghostly pale. On the plus side, it lacks the tackiness and lingering chemical flavors of many a macro peer.
I'd take this over many of its mass-produced rivals, of its style and of itself, it is (generally) inoffensive and average.

2.99/5  rDev +7.6%

A - Yellow gold with a initially large white head that quickly reduces to a soapy haze over the brew. This pretty much looks like a standard, boring, watery macro lager.

S - This actually smells pretty good. It's not assertive, but that's sort of a good thing. The gentle notes that are there are fresh, salty, and crisp. Not bad.

T - Cooked corn and saltine crackers. Nothing specially here, but it's a lot better than I expected! There is nothing to praise here, but nothing offends my palate either.

M - The best thing about this beer is that it's crisp, light bodied, and neutral at the finish. There are absolutely no aftertastes, and that is what a lot of macro drinkers are looking for.

D - Not bad. This is better than Bud or Miller by far, and it is a lot like PBR (same brewer)., but more salty. This is nnot a bad budget beer for super-sessions on the weekend.

3.35/5  rDev +20.5%

Clear, clean pale yellow in my glass, with a sizeable head of foam and only a hint of lace.

Nose is creamed corn with yeast. Mostly sweet and adjunct in feel.

Taste is creamy and sweetly malty, with a definite lack of hops presence. Really, a typical adjunct, though with much more flavor and character than it's big brother, PBR, or the bigger boys. A step above the aforementioned, but not outstanding.

3.38/5  rDev +21.6%

Appearance: Drank this out of the can, so I'm completely guessing here. Definitely pale golden and yellow. Enough said.

Smell: Not bad at all. Just not good either. Basically water with a hint of sweet corn and other cereal grains.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Not half bad. I was surprised that the can did not give Old Style a metallic taste. Fairly strong malt compared to your typical adjunct lager and a nice faint hop bitterness in the finish. There's also a smooth creamy mouthfeel. Well carbonated in my opinion and very dry. Reminds me of a combination of Budweiser and Keystone Light.

Drinkability: Refreshing beer for any hot summer day.

Overall: I drank this at the Blackhawks Stanley Cup rally in Chicago. Made me feel at home. A very solid beer and easy to get in the area. Ditch BMC and try this.

Old Style. It takes me back to Chicago when I was going to Siebel in '95. I was more interested in trying all of the different stouts from Bell's myself, but my friends back-home wanted this so I bought a case. I got some Huber Bock in returnable bottles as well, but I digress...

Old Style is an average brew at best, possibly 'better-then-than-now' - but also possibly 'better-now-than-then' - it's hard to say as it's a fairly straightforward American adjunct lager.

It pours the typical golden body beneath a short head of short-lived bright white foam. Lacing is average at best. Generic beer nose with a hint of apple thrown in. Light-medium in body. Crisp with bristling bubbles. Bitterness that just bumps the malt. A smear of leafy hop flavor. Generic beer finish.

3.15/5  rDev +13.3%

12oz can, from an 18 pack bought for 8.99 at woodmans

Its a shame the BA photo is that of a 40...I prefer it out of the annual "cubs can" myself

appearance: pours a pale golden-straw color, fluffy white head with very little lacing on the rim...very clear and shining

smell: thin malt, corn, light sweetness, very familiar aroma

taste: Old Style and Pabst are really the only 2 american macros's I would ever purchase these days and I give the edge to old style. Went down to chicago to watch the cubs lose last weekend and had to get a 'teener of old style to fill the gaps between bars. the flavour is thin, and has a big corn presence, nice sweetness... a good macro lager

mouthfeel: thin, watery...but for the style pretty defined

drinkability: all day long

3.28/5  rDev +18%

Poured into a plastic cup from a 16 oz. can.

Damn, this is the best macro I've ever had. If you're into the style, this beer has a great balance of flavors. Now we're talking about sour barley, a bit of corn, and a hint of hops, but nothing stands out as offensive and the flavors work together, along with a lemon flavor, to make a decent beer.

You know, I think I actually might have enjoyed this beer. And I don't know if I've ever said that about a macro before.

1.94/5  rDev -30.2%

I got a sixer to compare it to LaCrosse Lager, which is now being microbrewed in the original Old Style brewery. Even without a comparison, I could tell this was the loser. Corny taste among other adjuncts at work. Although there is... wait a minute... a hint of hops and yeasty lager taste poking through at the end. So not totally beyond redemption. But still, pale straw color, fizzy like soda pop. Why bother?

to view more.