Old Style - Pabst Brewing Company

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.72% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 09-11-2001)
Reviews by brewyou2:
brewyou2

Oklahoma

3.6/5  rDev +28.6%

What can I say, it beats the hell out of Budweiser, Coors and all the other "frat" beers. Definitely my session beer of choice. I love the richness the krausening process adds to this light, flavorful beer. Hardley bitter and far from malty, kinda like chicken soup when your sick.

11-09-2011 00:42:14 | More by brewyou2
bbluemzbeer

Old style beer is a Chicago staple and basic lager. The price for 6 pack of pounders is 4.50. For inexpensive lager a 5 !

Appearance: light yellow with small carbonation.

Smell : like a American style like corn and grains.

Taste: old style has a taste of light grains with some small malt to it.The end of the taste you get a small bit at the end. Nice crisp dry finish makes you want to drank more . For the price is a great beer !

Mouthfeel: light to medium mouthfeel

Overall : Old style is good lager with more taste then 85 percent of lagers on market. Old style beats out High life, modello , Bud ice, Busch , Natural Ice and all of light beers on the market.

08-02-2014 15:22:45 | More by bbluemzbeer
Walter12590

3.13/5  rDev +11.8%

im a big fan of craft beers, wheat beers are my favorite and like to grab an IPA on occasion. when im on a tight budget i turn to old style or rolling rock, only macro beers i remotely respect. lot of my friends like coors lite bud lite busch lite, idk how they enjoy them. anyway old style is smooth crisp far from unpleasant and the only beer i can drink out a can, it smell and appearence are nothing special but it got a smooth mouthfeel n nice taste, ur ever low on finances check it out, not bad and it gives u your money's worth.

11-13-2013 21:36:42 | More by Walter12590
SteveJeremy

Connecticut

3.75/5  rDev +33.9%

With my father condemning Old Style as "the worst beer ever made" and referring to it as "Dog Style" since I was a kid, I was skeptical about the quality of the beer. However, my father - who holds Miller Lite and Coors Light as his go-to brews - and I drastically differ with our beer tastes, so I was considering that as I popped the tab on the can of Old Style.

Given the price and the ubiquity of this brand, you can't expect the style and complexity of craft beers. Yet Old Style is a healthier, heavier-body brew, not too watery, not too grainy, and not too reliant on one particular bitter or unappetizing flavor. It has a light drinkability to it and favorable qualities that make it a solid beer all around.

08-26-2014 00:47:39 | More by SteveJeremy
Blahster

Yep the best beer to me is Old Style beer. I keep it in the family, my grandfather on my moms side use to drink Old Style when I was growing up.My uncles to.Then as I got old enough to drink beer I've always new I would be drinking this great beer. It's funny when I started hanging out with new friends when I moved to my grandparents neighborhood, those friends were drinking Old Style to.Reach for The best beer old style beer, I was mainly brewed in La Cross, Wisconsin and then Semi loads to Chicago and the Suburbs outside Chicago. Old Style every where back then! And now I live in Southern Illinois right outside of St . Louis, Missouri and it's very hard to find it anywhere. And then when you do find it, your paying an arm an a leg,, crazyly high price! Is there any where in the St. Louis area I can by it cheapter then Dierbergs grocery store in Edwardsville, Illinois? So damn high there for a 12 pack of bottle's. They higherd the 12 pack price 3x this year??

12-02-2013 04:38:26 | More by Blahster
302BeerGuy

Delaware

I'm giving it a 5 because this is my all time favorite beer! Heileman's Old Style! I Love this beer! Wrigley Field staple for over 65 years. I drink nothing but (well, with exception of one other) when I'm in Chicago. I wish it was sold in more states than just the Upper Midwest. Out of all the "retro" adjunct lager beers in the Pabst Portfolio, this one is still the best!

06-21-2014 00:54:44 | More by 302BeerGuy
RoyalT

3.43/5  rDev +22.5%

Appearance - This poured a light, pretty yellow in color with a good white head that actually showed some retention.

Smell - The grain is huge at the nose. This is probably the biggest AL aroma that I've had on an American macro. It's a bit on the stale side but not at all rotten like many examples I've had. The traditional Pabst sweetness is also absent which works well here.

Taste - The grain flavor is very even at the taste helping this one go down nicely. I can't really find anything offensive in it which is an accomplishment for the style. And again there is no putrid sweetness which makes this a standout.

Mouthfeel - This light-bodied lager is very smooth in the mouth with some soft carbonation. The carbs in particular are well done. They are soft with terrific texture and not at all fizzy.

Drinkability - I was impressed with this effort from Pabst. It has a nice flavor, nothing offensive, but the feel in the mouth is what makes this a stand out.

07-19-2010 00:13:57 | More by RoyalT
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

3.63/5  rDev +29.6%

I crack open the can and take a whiff. I get light corn and, would you believe? HOPS. I actually smell hops in this beer. They aren't strong, but they're there. I leave the beer in the can as I have decided for Old Style, and most other macros, this is indeed the proper way to enjoy the brew. These beers do have some slight color variation, but its hardly worth noting.

Light sweetness of corn and grain is kept in check by bittering hops that ad a barely perceptible hop flavor. Overall its quite balanced.

Mouthfeel is where this one shines, mid-wieght with large SOFT carbonation bubbles. Drinkability is high.

07-20-2006 04:19:13 | More by JudgeRoughneck
BeerAdvocate

3.65/5  rDev +30.4%

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume III, Issue II:

Retooled, reinvented, resurrected. Call it what you want, but this Retro Lager has been revived.

Fluffy two fingers of head stands hard for a while; filtered, pale golden-yellow color. A duo of DMS (cooked corn) and cereal graininess in the aroma--to be more specific, creamed corn. Big smoothness with a quick bite from the hop bitterness. Light bodied. Cooked corn on the palate with a clean graininess throughout. Thin but pleasant layer of dry maltiness from middle to end. Finishes dry with some residual cereal graininess.

Tasty and clean for a Retro Lager. Great for when you are not looking for something exotic or extreme and just want a plain beer. A perfect beer for that greasy slice of pepperoni pizza or that ballpark dog slathered with chili.

09-10-2010 12:44:37 | More by BeerAdvocate

05-07-2012 03:38:58 | More by kgeijer
BeerDreadz

1.73/5  rDev -38.2%

12onz Brown bottle bring from Chicago,illinois

The appearance just the regular macro yellow color with tiny head that goes away,neither the smell grain and some hops.In the taste there's a light lager ,some maltiness very soft,water, does'nt feel bad in the mouth but there's no party neither. I would have another macro if i have to choice between then. I have seen cheaper beer taste better.

06-27-2007 08:08:05 | More by BeerDreadz
DaftPatrick

05-13-2014 03:00:43 | More by DaftPatrick
generallee

02-15-2012 15:21:31 | More by generallee
Rifrafboy

2.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours with a 1/2 inch dry white head. First taste is of grain. Flavor is pretty typical of American macro's. Perhaps a little drier than most. Faint hoppiness. The grains are where the flavor is. Not a really good beer, but not awfull either. Served ice cold which was a plus.

03-17-2003 18:58:18 | More by Rifrafboy
Stonebreaker

3.65/5  rDev +30.4%

I'm trying to review this beer for what it is, American fizzy yellow piss. That said for the uniniated(into the world of good beer) it is still held in contempt by some , I was out drinking with some buddies and I was flabbergasted how these MGD drinkers were shitting on this beer, I have a sentimental soft spot for this beer as it was and still is in spirit, a chicago beer. I was raised on this stuff and I can remember many a day when I came home from a hard day at work, thirsty and it did the job. I came to the bar with a nasty case of cotton mouth and the beer was like water to a man coming out of the desert. It reminded me of being at the ballpark, and I dipped my nose in that foamy head, fizzy yellow piss yes... but good for what it is.

07-13-2008 02:31:32 | More by Stonebreaker