Old Style - Pabst Brewing Company

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.72% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 09-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Style Alström Bros
Ratings: 603 | Reviews: 200

Old style beer is a Chicago staple and basic lager. The price for 6 pack of pounders is 4.50. For inexpensive lager a 5 !

Appearance: light yellow with small carbonation.

Smell : like a American style like corn and grains.

Taste: old style has a taste of light grains with some small malt to it.The end of the taste you get a small bit at the end. Nice crisp dry finish makes you want to drank more . For the price is a great beer !

Mouthfeel: light to medium mouthfeel

Overall : Old style is good lager with more taste then 85 percent of lagers on market. Old style beats out High life, modello , Bud ice, Busch , Natural Ice and all of light beers on the market.

Yep the best beer to me is Old Style beer. I keep it in the family, my grandfather on my moms side use to drink Old Style when I was growing up.My uncles to.Then as I got old enough to drink beer I've always new I would be drinking this great beer. It's funny when I started hanging out with new friends when I moved to my grandparents neighborhood, those friends were drinking Old Style to.Reach for The best beer old style beer, I was mainly brewed in La Cross, Wisconsin and then Semi loads to Chicago and the Suburbs outside Chicago. Old Style every where back then! And now I live in Southern Illinois right outside of St . Louis, Missouri and it's very hard to find it anywhere. And then when you do find it, your paying an arm an a leg,, crazyly high price! Is there any where in the St. Louis area I can by it cheapter then Dierbergs grocery store in Edwardsville, Illinois? So damn high there for a 12 pack of bottle's. They higherd the 12 pack price 3x this year??

4.62/5  rDev +66.2%

This was my grandpa's favorite beer and now it's my favorite beer.

Poured into a mug, it has a pale, yellow, straw color. Light carbonation, mostly natural carbonation. A short head, that appears for about 15 seconds.

Not a lot of smell, but has a grainy smell and a little bit metallic. The alcohol kind of burns your nose, which I love.

You can taste grains, hops and some malt. A nice bitterness at the end.

Light Carbonation, one of the heavier American Adjunct Lagers in my opinion.

Very drinkable and it's my favorite. Tastes great and there's a lot of history behind this beer. I am definately bias when it comes to where the beer is made, because all the best beer is made in Wisconsin. "Think local. Drink local."

4.48/5  rDev +61.2%

What a great beer for the price! Old Style pours a straw yellow and is bursting with flavor. There is the long standing competition between PBR and Old Style and my vote is to always side with O.S. This beer has taken me on many wild nights and crazy adventures through the college years. Plenty of Old Style scars. I have even written a song about Old Style, as I have been so inspired by this great golden lager.

Also a great fishing beer. Summer or winter, it doesn't matter.

4.33/5  rDev +55.8%

Color: Golden Yellow

Smell: Nice and clean, Light Citrus

Taste: Nice Smooth taste, Nice Balance of sweet and smooth.

Bought a 12 pack of bottles in Chicago for $5.99, it's more expensive here in Ohio. Here a 6 pack of 16 OZ cans is 7 Bucks.

This is one of my favorite beers. Wish we could get bottles in Ohio. But next trip Chicago I am stocking up.

4.22/5  rDev +51.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I was very surprised with this beer. I did not excpet such a sweat beer. the appearance was good the smell was sweat and got me salavaiting. the taste was a very wheaty taste with sweetness all the way down. not to much of a mouth feel nice and crisp great drink ability. a great beer to have one or two of after work.

4.05/5  rDev +45.7%

This was "dad's Beer" when I was growing up. I tried it in 08 I think, and Preferred Blatz it was crap. I recently started watching the show "Shameless" on Showtime where the family Drinks Old Style and researched it. Apparently Pabst is now "Krausening" the beer so I wanted to try it again.

I picked up a 6 pack of 12 oz. cans for $3.59 the first drink I knew this was something different. I am a Budweiser drinker and this instantly reminded me of Bud. it has great mouthfeel and no nasty aftertaste like the old cheap beer did. the cost has increased (18 pack was $7.99 in 08 and now it's $10) but still a good price for a good beer!

3.9/5  rDev +40.3%

i've been on a search for the ultimate cheap beer, and i have found it. the only qualification i have is that the beer is available in a thirty pack, which old style is. they sell this at a restaurant by my house (old chicago) and of course there is cubs stuff everywhere because who cares about the white sox? little did i know this was THE BEER of the chicago cubs. so during happy hour, you can get a 25oz of this for less than two dollars. and after searching relentlessly i was able to find a store in my area that sold it. they only have 12 packs but its like 6 or 7 dollars and the beer is actually a good beer not like busch or high life which aren't good at all.

it puzzles me why this seems to be the least popular cheap beer in america (outside of chicago) with such a great taste. go to wrigley field its delicious on their taps. its 6.50 but what do you expect from the ball park. goes good with a brat for a little over ten bucks. not bad

3.87/5  rDev +39.2%

16 oz. Can poured into a hefe glass.

Appearance- pours a straw colored yellow with a pure white head. Lacing sticks to the side as I drink and head is maintained throughout this session.

Aroma- ahhh nothing like good ole American macro smell. Watery, canned corn sweetness, with a mild vodka like alcohol scent shining through.

Taste- Sweeter then I expected. There is a bit of a paper like taste that I enjoy in this beer. There is little to no bitterness in this one.

Mouthfeel- how it should be for this style. Light, medium carbonation, smmoth as mollasses.

Drinkability-Smooth easy drinking on this one. Lord willin I'll be drinking more of this.

3.87/5  rDev +39.2%

I remember being introduced to this beer at a friend's house. Said friend said, "this beer is the beer I keep telling my friends to try, but they just won't. And the ones that do, they're converts." Well, so was I. So I finally found it again in my area and here we are.

Just so we're clear - this beer is a fantastic brew, but it feels weird reviewing it. One should honestly just drink it without thought...but I digress.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured into glass

Appearance (3) : A pale blonde color with a fluffy one finger head, receding quickly to a ring. Bubbles line the surface of the glass.

Smell (4) : A hint of maple syrup, some sweet roasted corn, some oats, fresh grass, and a little orange. I'm serious, this is a pretty knock-out-of-the-park smell for this type of beer.

Taste (4.25) : Carbonation hits first with a smooth oat lager taste. Within the body are soft corn notes, some wheat, dried and toasted grain, and an orange sweetness. A damp, soft blanket of smooth and fruity grain lies underneath. The finish is simply sweet and refreshing. A top notch taste in an American adjunct lager.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Heavily carbonated, which is normal for the style. Finishes almost perfectly semi-dry.

Overall : I didn't think pouring this one would help much, but it actually did. I can't speak for others but Old Style is one of my top favorite lagers bar none. It's miles above PBR, and rivals my current favorite Hauenstein. These beers are both cheap (Hauenstein and Old Style), and I can't imagine finding a better lager for the price. Do yourself a favor and try this beer - if you can find it.

3.87/5  rDev +39.2%

I am a Cubs fan so i may be a little biased but does it get any better than this on a hot summer day at the ballpark or mowing the yard. Its cheap, it tastes pretty good especially ice-cold, it has great carbonation and you can drink it all day long. For what it is I don't think it can be beat in its market.

3.87/5  rDev +39.2%

I friend of mine came home friday with a case of old style returnables. The beer has a very sharp distinctive taste almost like the taste from a premium grain belt. I was told it was dirt cheap, but I probably wouldn't by it myself. This beer is worth a try if you've never had it.

3.85/5  rDev +38.5%

not quite as pale as the usual American Macro, pours with a large beautiful fluffy head that dissipates rather quickly and leaves some traces of lace

this beer gives off a wondeful beery aroma, it is light with a bit of corn and grain husks, very clean overall

tastes light and clean while still full of flavor, not a lot of malt but a bit and it's biscuity, nothing really for alcohol, a bit more yeastiness then the average macro lager and just enough hops to bring out a nice even dry finish

medium light body, nice carbonation it's not quite as fizzy as you'd expect. Just a bit dry on the end as I previously mentioned.

A well done beer, the price is right and it's refreshing, there's no need to over analyze it's just a nice beer at the right price.

3.84/5  rDev +38.1%

How can you beat anything Chicago! Can drink a lot.

3.84/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is my beer of choice when I don't have a lot of money. It has a medium golden color (not to light), poured a 1 cm. head. This beer is very clean in the mouth, with quite pronounced carbonation. This beer does not sit in your stomach like other beers can such as Budweiser, but it has a fuller taste that isn't as "Tart" as other beers. Overall this is a great beer to have especially on a hot day, it is by no means a great beer, but for the price and with the right occasion it can be a good beer.

3.78/5  rDev +36%

Someone told me that they sell Old Style on draft at Cubs games and I had to try it. My local CVS had 30 pack cans for $12.99. I put them in the fridge for 2 days and was looking forward to having a few after work. Was actually pleasantly suprised. Good, clean and potent. There was a bit of aftertaste, probably because it sat on the shelf for a while. I don't know the date codes. A good one for the price.

3.77/5  rDev +35.6%

A very pale straw color with a small white head that quickly disapears. A little lacing is evident.

Smell is heavy adjuncts. A little sweet malt is also detected. It does not have a horrible smell like some macro lagers, just low key.

Things get better with the taste. Well balanced by not having a sweet corn or rice taste. Finishes crisp and clean.

Light bodied and fizzy carbonation but it is nice and not harsh.

A very clean tasting macro. Easy drinking and refreshing. Not as hoppy as some of the retro beers that are making a comeback but it is very even. I use to drink a lot of this 20 years ago and I can see myself buying more and making this my macro standard. I just won't bother pouring it into a glass again.

3.75/5  rDev +34.9%

With my father condemning Old Style as "the worst beer ever made" and referring to it as "Dog Style" since I was a kid, I was skeptical about the quality of the beer. However, my father - who holds Miller Lite and Coors Light as his go-to brews - and I drastically differ with our beer tastes, so I was considering that as I popped the tab on the can of Old Style.

Given the price and the ubiquity of this brand, you can't expect the style and complexity of craft beers. Yet Old Style is a healthier, heavier-body brew, not too watery, not too grainy, and not too reliant on one particular bitter or unappetizing flavor. It has a light drinkability to it and favorable qualities that make it a solid beer all around.

3.75/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Good adjunct lager. That's it.

3.74/5  rDev +34.5%

This was THE King of Beers in the Chicago area during the 1970's. My friends and I ony drank this brand and held it in high esteem. I guess they changed the formula at some point and recently brought back the original this year (2009). After trying the "New/old" incarnation I can safely say The smell from the open bottle takes me back to those long hair days of Pink Floyd and Foghat. It is bottled nostalgia. I recall the 1970's style having a bit more of a robust taste--but my taste buds are now 55 years old. So I can't honestly say it's not the same.
The bottom line is this:It's a typical Big Corporate beer (brewed by the last of the American owned big brewers in the U.S.).

3.73/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A very solid "cheap" beer from Pabst. I live in Ohio and Old Style is not regularly distributed here, so whenever I can get my hands on an Old Style I am more than pumped. Great flavor, awesome can and reasonable price. $6.99 for sixer of pint cans

3.73/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

My favorite festival, camping and cheap beer, extra points for that. Cheers!!

3.7/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

To be fair I should have reviewed a bottle of this, but...I drink massive amounts of Old Style from the can and I had a case on hand so I decided to sit down and actual review my old standby.

Appearance: Poured into a pilsner glass, a darker gold. As usual with a can I pour too hard and fast and end up with a huge foamy head that I let settle before finishing the pour. Head does not take ling to settle out to a small thin cloud with a ring around the glass. Lacing is spotty as I drink the beer. Some small tiny bubbles are lazily floating through the liquid.

Smell: Some malt, some hops, lot of adjunct. Has a sweeter aroma about this. In line for what I expect for the style with less of an adjuncty scent that is usually associated with the style.

Taste: A nice lager, to me just a touch of malt in the middle, no bitterness, more sweet. Still good for what it is.

Mouthfeel: A little heavier in body than others in the style, but still overall it is light. Adequate carbonation, silky, smooth clean finish, no aftertastes, and I can't believe the total lack of any bitterness.

Drinkability: Easy drinker, sessionable IMO. I can even consume this when it is just under room temp (garage temp tonight was about 50 degrees). Although, nothing beats cold Old Styles at a Cubs game. An old faithful stand by beer that doesn't do me wrong, and cheap too (case for $9.99).

3.7/5  rDev +33.1%

Served in an Old Style pint glass equipped with a Chicago Cubs logo on it.

A- Pours a pale clear gold with a noisy white two finger head.

S- Can only really make a yeast and malt scent out of it.

T- Sweetness is most noticeable. Much sweeter than I am used to from a American macro lager. A slightly bitter finish

M- A shit ton of carbonation and light in body.

D- Come on, I live in Lincoln Nebraska, I can and do drink this stuff like it's going out of style. It took a while to grow on me (Years), and I have never been into BMC other than High Life (Which I love). I will put it in the second string of my good old school american lager team.

3.65/5  rDev +31.3%

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume III, Issue II:

Retooled, reinvented, resurrected. Call it what you want, but this Retro Lager has been revived.

Fluffy two fingers of head stands hard for a while; filtered, pale golden-yellow color. A duo of DMS (cooked corn) and cereal graininess in the aroma--to be more specific, creamed corn. Big smoothness with a quick bite from the hop bitterness. Light bodied. Cooked corn on the palate with a clean graininess throughout. Thin but pleasant layer of dry maltiness from middle to end. Finishes dry with some residual cereal graininess.

Tasty and clean for a Retro Lager. Great for when you are not looking for something exotic or extreme and just want a plain beer. A perfect beer for that greasy slice of pepperoni pizza or that ballpark dog slathered with chili.

Old Style from Pabst Brewing Company