Old Style - Pabst Brewing Company

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.72% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 09-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Style Alström Bros
Ratings: 602 | Reviews: 199
1.18/5  rDev -57.6%

Thought I would give this a try bscause I like PBR, big mistake this stuff is undrinkable I couldnt even make one bottle. Those saying this beer has no off flavors, I am not sure what they didnt taste bc this beer tastes like stale moldy corn and urine it is one of the most unpleasant beers I have ever tasted.

1.35/5  rDev -51.4%

Served on-tap in a large mug a local bar the other night. The appearance was watery and thin. Very sparse carbonation, and almost no head at all. Any scents were minimal, and very much alike any other macro lager. The taste was bland and crappy. Not much to really brag about. It did lack a bready aftertaste that I notice in most american macro lagers, which might have been its only upside in the taste department. The mouthfeel was thin, watery, and entirely too flat. Drinkability is okay, just not very desired. I suppose for the price, this beer does the trick, but its difficult to find many ways to compliment this one.

1.47/5  rDev -47.1%

I was back in Chicago last week. A friend brought over and left some Old Style bottles in the fridge. Thought it would be as good of a time as ever to maybe review this brew, as I was never planning on paying for one any time soon. Having lived in the city for four years in the past, I was well familiar with Old Style.
Always dreaded showing up to parties and finding out that the keg was Old Style that night, and I would cringe whenever a buddy would come back from a beer run with this stuff.

Pours a fair amount of foam that quickly fades away. Some grain and miscellaneous smells on the nose. Nothing much. Taste is even more lacking. Compared to other cheap beers of this style, Old Style does have some distinctive qualities to it, but not in a good way (cant quite put my finger on exactly what it is). Back in college I drank my fair share of "cheap" American "macro" beers, and many were much more drinkable than this. I would pick just about anything over this.

1.5/5  rDev -46%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Just awful. For me, it was easily the very worst of the ultra low-end beers.

1.7/5  rDev -38.8%

Cheap nasty mass produced tasteless American swill

1.75/5  rDev -37.1%

12onz Brown bottle bring from Chicago,illinois

The appearance just the regular macro yellow color with tiny head that goes away,neither the smell grain and some hops.In the taste there's a light lager ,some maltiness very soft,water, does'nt feel bad in the mouth but there's no party neither. I would have another macro if i have to choice between then. I have seen cheaper beer taste better.

1.78/5  rDev -36%

one of my favorite local brews, old style is most easily compared to pabst, old milwaukee, and maybe lacrosse. this is my number one beer if i need something on a very hot summer day, with time to kill, and a burger on the grill. the big appeal, besides it's new found yuppie following, it cost. like said beers above, it is easy to obtain a 30 pack for 10-11 dollers, or if you budget, you can get a 15 pack for 6-7 dollers, now that's savings...overall, this is one of chicago's, "old man beers", yet one of the better ones out here.

1.85/5  rDev -33.5%

I thought it was fitting to drink a classic Old Man beer on Memorial Day. Traditionally this is to be drank straight from the can, but for reviewing purposes I used a glass.

12 oz can poured into a pilsener glass. Thin head that quickly dissipates. No lacing. Color is a crystal clear straw yellow. A few lazy bubbles drift to the top.

Smell has a distinct sweet corn aroma Slight hint of hops. Taste is very grainy and sweet with a mild pepper kick in the finish.

Mouthfeel is slick and oily. Harsh carbonation stings the mouth. This was good for only the novelty. Has not dethroned my favorite macro, Hamm's

1.85/5  rDev -33.5%

Appearance - Pours a clear pale yellow, little to no head and no lace.

Smell - Corn, no other smell present.

Taste - Bland, some sweetness with corn.

Mouthfeel - Thin and watery. High carbonation.

Drinkability - Not a favorite of mine. Not much taste and no character.

1.87/5  rDev -32.7%

Heileman's Old Style
24 oz can
Recent brewing, new styled 10/06
Medium 1oz pour in a shot glass, then slugged down from the can.

Poured light straw with a fizzy quickly diminishing white head.

Smelt of sweet corn.

Taste was upfront moderate sweet corn and white bread followed by a light perfumey hops and bitter hay with a light sweet gelatin and grainy average length finish. Mouthfeel was light bodied, watery, fizzy, with a light metallic feel.

Overall, an ok pale lager, but the light taste and metallic feel holds it back.

1.88/5  rDev -32.4%

this beer is anything but intricate, aromatic, and complex. Friends, this is simply beer. It pours from a cheap, 20 oz. can into my beer mug. It is highly carbonated and therefore boasts an enormous head, if you want it to. But this head fades within a minute or so, leaves almost no lacing at all (since there isn't much in this beer). It barely embodies the yellow hue of a light lager, and is crystal clear. It smells faintly (and by faintly I mean, "I'm so used to smelling beers that actually have an aroma, that I can't be sure my brain didn't just fabricate the faint malt aroma all on its own) of malt.

1.9/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

This is just not a good beer at all. It also gives me the runs the morning after I drink it. But it is good for drinking games because it goes down easy and doesn't have quite as strong of an adjunct taste as other macros. I read this beer was only 3.2% abv and I was wondering if that was true because I can't find anywhere that says how strong it is. I know it tastes watery but 3.2% is ridiculous!

1.91/5  rDev -31.3%

2.50 pints at the bar and washes down the burger good. It serves a purpose.

1.94/5  rDev -30.2%

I got a sixer to compare it to LaCrosse Lager, which is now being microbrewed in the original Old Style brewery. Even without a comparison, I could tell this was the loser. Corny taste among other adjuncts at work. Although there is... wait a minute... a hint of hops and yeasty lager taste poking through at the end. So not totally beyond redemption. But still, pale straw color, fizzy like soda pop. Why bother?

1.95/5  rDev -29.9%

My husband insisted I try one of these while in Chicago attending a Cubs game. The game didn't strat for an hour so we were having drinks at a bar across the street. I drank a Guinness while he sipped a PBR. He ordered the Old Style for me while I went to the restroom. He is sneaky like that.
Let me say....I was one of the only people in the bar not already drinking a Old Style.
It had little flavor at all, not even a warm summer beer day. You know the type, the beer you could drink if it was really HOT outside.
The color is a pale straw, very little carbonation. It tested worse after I swallowed. I drank half the bottle, trying to give it a fair shot. I eventually just ordered a new drink.

1.99/5  rDev -28.4%

12 oz can in a pilsner glass. May0310 printed on the bottom. No info.

I got this can from my friend Damon after sharing a bottle of Inferno Ale with him. His response to my "thank you" was, "Seriously? This is the worst trade you've ever done." He's right.

A - The tall pour into the pilsner glass lets off a tall white head of about three fingers. Loosely packed but retained pretty well, the head leaves some serious lace on the glass. Like a typical adjunct the beer is a clear light pale yellow.

S - Plain husky straw and corn graininess with minimal malt presence and no hops at all. Yep, a typical adjunct lager aroma.

T - Water, grainy pale malts barely even make an appearance through the dry straw and lame corn.

M - Thin and almost completely watered down, Old Style is bland, over-carbonated, and slick on the palate.

D - The only excuse to ever consume Old Style is when you must, with no exceptions, have a beer at a Chicago Cubs game. Sure, But is available but who would chose that?

1.99/5  rDev -28.4%

Pours out the standard American big company pilsner color, with the added detriment that it smells skunked, even when it's fresh. Goes down a bit harsh, from too much carbonation. Tasted like an old pilsner that's been left outside for most of the day. Of course when you're at Wrigley, it's a wonderful thing and drinking it brings back some good baseball memories, but that's the only positive thing it really has going for it.

It is what it is

One of the few options at a baseball game, served in an inappropriate plastic cup, but it shows a nice looking golden body and a decent white head.
Aroma is bready, with a hint of alcohol, but not a lot more.
Taste is very limited, and hard to describe. Think Budweiser with less water. I poured mine down the drain after half the cup.

It's Old Style. When you are in Chicago and you want the local version of Bud, they got you covered.

It is no better or worse than you will expect.

2.03/5  rDev -27%

a: a typical macro pale golden color with big inch and half of head that dissapears fast leaving very little lacing
s: grainy, but not sweet, hints of hops overall smell is very faint
t: malty adjuncty but well served real cold any bad taste is really muted
m: medium bodied ample carbonation

overall, this is a cheap beer and should be treated as such, i can see having a few of these around for hot days fishing, and after ive had a couple

2.05/5  rDev -26.3%

Appearance - Light clear yellow. Soapy head that quickly fades. Leaves a hint of lacing. Fizziness is not excessive. Pretty standard macro.

Smell - Standard adjunct smell. Just a notch stronger odor than most macros - i.e., it actually has a scent, but just barely.

Taste - Quite sweet in an adjuncty kind of way. Exactly the same as a dozen other macros. Not among the overtly offensive ones, though. Dryyyy finish.

Mouthfeel - Watery and fizzy. Stinging carbonation.

Drinkability - Can you drink it? Yes. Do you want to? Maybe, depends on the event and your finances. You could put this beer in a dozen different cheap beer cans and vice versa and no one would notice... Wait a minute, what other beers does G. Heileman make...

This beer also loses 1/2 point in drinkability (which will later be transferred to City Lager) for leaving the city of La Crosse and, therefore, causing substantial economic dislocation and bringing about the (temporary) loss of the world's largest 6-pack. Boo to you Old Style.

2.08/5  rDev -25.2%

12 oz bottle, straight out of the bottle, handed to me by a friend at The Continental at about 4:30 in the morning. Don't pour this in a glass, it's a waste of water to wash the glass after...this beer doesn't deserve it. Tons of corn flavor, some hop flavor. Better than Budweiser and Miller and Coors (the worst of tasting of all beers). Went down pretty easy anyway and quenched my thirst.

2.1/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer in a bottle when you can only afford cans.

2.15/5  rDev -22.7%

I think many of the beers brewed at the Heileman's Brewery are quite alike. Old Style is no exception. Light gold appearance. White head that fizzes away quickly. Smells like corn, rice, hay, and metal. Tastes similar to the sub-average Black Label I just drank but just a little bit better. A little more malty, I guess. A little less watery. I just picked up a 12 pack of cans of both of these beers for $6.49 each so I won't bitch about how mediocre they are. I'll just save them in my basement friends for when my scumbag friends want to mooch a beer off of me. They'll have their choice of Black Label or Old Style.

Old Style from Pabst Brewing Company